PDA

View Full Version : Atmosphere

Weegreenman
28-04-2019, 04:01 PM
Probably the poorest atmosphere I’ve encountered at an Edinburgh derby ever. Got a wee bit better after we scored but something needs to done to help make a better atmosphere.

Like.....getting shot of the family section behind the goal and making it a terrace for the singing section. Something radical needs done. Come on Leeann make it happen!

HibeeHibernian4
28-04-2019, 04:03 PM
Beggars belief that you've got a stand that lies half empty almost every week without fail, and then a block in the top tier that's packed out for the Category A games and full pretty much every league game.

Swap them around, pronto. Dempster's being ridiculously stubborn on this and her 'plans' for a family friendly Famous Five are doing nothing but harm for the atmosphere.

mentalhibee
28-04-2019, 04:54 PM
Move the singing section back to the east, simple solution.

Fife-Hibee
28-04-2019, 04:57 PM
Agree. It was an awful idea to move the singing section there. They should be right in the faces of the away fans. Our atmosphere lacks the intimidation that we need in these kind of affairs. There's no such thing as a family friendly derby.

bingo70
28-04-2019, 04:59 PM
Thought it was a good atmosphere today.

marinello59
28-04-2019, 05:01 PM

Aye, me too. All the stands we’re singing at several points today.

NAE NOOKIE
28-04-2019, 05:02 PM
I thought it was very flat at the start, but the atmosphere improved markedly in the 2nd half and it was great to hear the crowd get behind the team after we missed the penalty.

Of course the FF lower should be the singing section, its a no brainer … unfortunately it seems a family friendly stand for families who fail to show up all the time seems to be the priority … ho hum !!

emerald green
12:15 kick off on a Sunday kills the atmosphere.

CraigHibee

Thought so as well

Ryan91
28-04-2019, 05:03 PM

It's been the noisiest part of the ground for years, I understand that it was their decision to move, however, I don't think it's worked very well.

The acoustics of that area don't do them many favours either to be perfectly honest, a lot of sound that they generate is redirected back into the stand and towards the West, making them difficult to hear in the East.

If they are to stay in the FF, the solution is for them to be moved to the FFL (not going to happen) or moved to the middle of the FF Upper (again, not going to happen). East Stand is the best solution.

The 90+2
28-04-2019, 05:03 PM
Moved to the FF lower today and the singing section is bouncing above us. Such a shame it’s there.

B.H.F.C
28-04-2019, 05:05 PM
Atmosphere mirrored the game. When we missed the penalty we got right behind them. When we scored, other that immediately after, it went dead.

The 90+2
28-04-2019, 05:05 PM

Singing section where it is kills it. First time I’ve not been in the east for a big game and it has to be said the east is **** now if you’re not in there. Famous five and even the west at times noisier.

vein
28-04-2019, 05:35 PM

Agreed, better than I expected for a 12.15 ko

Bishop Hibee
28-04-2019, 05:37 PM
I thought the atmosphere was ok. Problem is the 12.15 lunchtime kick off. Stuff modern football.

we are hibs
28-04-2019, 06:00 PM
The atmosphere has been poor in most games this season. Infact the only one I remember it wasn't was asteras at home. It's been strangely poor in the big games. We haven't had great results in the big games at home compared to last season but even when we beat Celtic in December it wasn't great.

SquashedFrogg
28-04-2019, 06:03 PM

This. I still have no idea if they even bring a drum anymore? We're up in s43 and rarely hear them. Away end just drowns them out.

Keith_M
28-04-2019, 06:08 PM

So did I.

This is nothing but a blatant attempt by the OP to push his agenda on the FF Lower.

I thought the more traditional Singing Section, in the East Stand, was really good.

RIP
28-04-2019, 06:24 PM
So did I.

This is nothing but a blatant attempt by the OP to push his agenda on the FF Lower.

I thought the more traditional Singing Section, in the East Stand, was really good.

We have a thousand to 1500 in the East standing and singing in big games.

How come the lads in the Since1875 breakaway group in the FF are described as the only singing section at Easter Road?

Why can’t we have two areas? I think it’s working well. Complementary rather than competing?

Broken Gnome
28-04-2019, 06:27 PM
Thought it was the best atmosphere we've ever had at midday Sunday game.

Hibeesmad
28-04-2019, 06:55 PM

I agree

Blaster
28-04-2019, 07:22 PM
Is there still a singing section in the FF Upper

Just asking?? All the noise today was from the east. Get the supposed singers back to the east and stop having a pop at the family section

CLASS OF 72 -73
28-04-2019, 09:31 PM
LD strangely stubborn on food quality and FF section effect. Can't fault her otherwise but certainly not listening to the people:confused:

wookie70
28-04-2019, 09:39 PM
Atmosphere in the second half was really good. Not unusual for atmosphere to mirror how the game is going and that is what happened today. The singing section should be the whole of the ground and there is no need for any fans to get preferential seating so leave the seating as is and the "singing section" can fight for season tickets like everyone else wanting a move.

Stuart93
28-04-2019, 09:41 PM
Decent amount of singing in S43 in the east today, pretty noisy as well. Best I’ve heard it in a while. Think nerves surrounding a derby game has a lot to do with the atmosphere not always being great

NAE NOOKIE
29-04-2019, 12:33 PM
Atmosphere in the second half was really good. Not unusual for atmosphere to mirror how the game is going and that is what happened today. The singing section should be the whole of the ground and there is no need for any fans to get preferential seating so leave the seating as is and the "singing section" can fight for season tickets like everyone else wanting a move.

I agree totally. To be fair the whole ground joined in with the cheer up Craig Levin song after we scored, that was the loudest I've ever heard it and it was most impressive :greengrin

Speedy
29-04-2019, 12:39 PM
Is there still a singing section in the FF Upper

Just asking?? All the noise today was from the east. Get the supposed singers back to the east and stop having a pop at the family section

Where do you sit, out of interest?

I was in the singing section yesterday and thought it was quite good. Have been in the East before and could hardly hear the new singing section.

I think the side of the stand may block the sound.

BlackSheep
29-04-2019, 12:43 PM

I was in the singing section yesterday and thought it was quite good. Have been in the East before and could hardly hear the new singing section.

This.

Its simple physics... the sound DOES bounce off the solid wall and reverberates back towards the west... I sit in the East on the halfway line and we can barely hear the singing section, yet when i have sat in the west the past couple of seasons you can hear them loud and clear.

The section in the East where the singing section used to sit is like a second sining section, but down to the fact that they can hardly hear the 'official' siingingn section its rare that they are both sing in time or even the same songs.

Something needs addressed.

Speedy
29-04-2019, 12:50 PM
This.

Its simple physics... the sound DOES bounce off the solid wall and reverberates back towards the west... I sit in the East on the halfway line and we can barely hear the singing section, yet when i have sat in the west the past couple of seasons you can hear them loud and clear.

The section in the East where the singing section used to sit is like a second sining section, but down to the fact that they can hardly hear the 'official' siingingn section its rare that they are both sing in time or even the same songs.

Something needs addressed.

Time to fill the corners in...

Singing corner
Family corner
Liam Henderson corner
Yam fud corner

Blaster
29-04-2019, 12:59 PM

I am in the west lower and I thought it was quiet yesterday in comparison to the east stand or previous bigger games.

hibbymac
29-04-2019, 01:05 PM
Probably the poorest atmosphere I’ve encountered at an Edinburgh derby ever. Got a wee bit better after we scored but something needs to done to help make a better atmosphere.

Like.....getting shot of the family section behind the goal and making it a terrace for the singing section. Something radical needs done. Come on Leeann make it happen!

You must be used to that, ..... cannae be much atmosphere where you come from .. :duck:

Since452
29-04-2019, 01:12 PM

I agree. Swathes of empty seats in the lower section seems rediculous when theres singing section crammed in the top corner. Like others have frequently said, you can hardly hear it in the east stand. If the FF lower was a safe standing area it would be fantastic and a seriously forward thinking move by the club. I think most people would be really excited by that. I'd more than likely move there myself.

Diclonius
29-04-2019, 01:26 PM
You must be used to that, ..... cannae be much atmosphere where you come from .. :duck:

Hahahahahahahahahahahah

NAE NOOKIE
29-04-2019, 01:39 PM
I agree. Swathes of empty seats in the lower section seems rediculous when theres singing section crammed in the top corner. Like others have frequently said, you can hardly hear it in the east stand. If the FF lower was a safe standing area it would be fantastic and a seriously forward thinking move by the club. I think most people would be really excited by that. I'd more than likely move there myself.

This is one of the biggest questions when it comes to the FF lower. If it were to become a standing section how many folk would be willing to move there from the seats they currently occupy?

The capacity of the FF lower is 2000 …. Its safe to say there are around 500 folk currently in the FF upper most games who would crawl over broken glass to occupy a standing space in the FF lower, so that leaves 1,500

At most big games there are at least 500 folk who go to section 43 in the East who clearly subscribe to the standing and singing mantra, I would imagine they would be on board with the FF lower idea and go there if it was on offer, especially if Hibs made it clear standing would not be tolerated in the East under any circumstances and rigorously enforced that …. so that leaves 1000 spaces to fill.

If our average home supporters attendance is around the 13,000 mark … that's folk who actually turn up as opposed to tickets sold …. then that leaves 1000 more standing singing fans to find to fill those 1000 spaces out of 12,000 Hibs fans, hardly impossible I would imagine.

At the end of the day if Hibs were to install rail seats in the FF lower and make 1,500 season tickets available just for the FF lower but with no seat allocated and set aside the remining 500 spaces for walk ups I would expect to see 1,500 folk in there at most games and it full for big games. Standing supporters can spread out a little more than sitting fans, so even 1,500 would make the FF lower look more or less full at most games.

I cant see why Hibs cant at least poll the fans to find out if there is a demand for an FF lower standing area and how many would be willing to move from their current seats in order to fill it.

Look at any clubs around the world, the last area of stadiums to suffer from missing fans when crowds are low are the ultras sections behind the goals, and IMO that's not just because they tend to be cheaper.

Since452
29-04-2019, 01:54 PM
This is one of the biggest questions when it comes to the FF lower. If it were to become a standing section how many folk would be willing to move there from the seats they currently occupy?

The capacity of the FF lower is 2000 …. Its safe to say there are around 500 folk currently in the FF upper most games who would crawl over broken glass to occupy a standing space in the FF lower, so that leaves 1,500

At most big games there are at least 500 folk who go to section 43 in the East who clearly subscribe to the standing and singing mantra, I would imagine they would be on board with the FF lower idea and go there if it was on offer, especially if Hibs made it clear standing would not be tolerated in the East under any circumstances and rigorously enforced that …. so that leaves 1000 spaces to fill.

If our average home supporters attendance is around the 13,000 mark … that's folk who actually turn up as opposed to tickets sold …. then that leaves 1000 more standing singing fans to find to fill those 1000 spaces out of 12,000 Hibs fans, hardly impossible I would imagine.

At the end of the day if Hibs were to install rail seats in the FF lower and make 1,500 season tickets available just for the FF lower but with no seat allocated and set aside the remining 500 spaces for walk ups I would expect to see 1,500 folk in there at most games and it full for big games. Standing supporters can spread out a little more than sitting fans, so even 1,500 would make the FF lower look more or less full at most games.

I cant see why Hibs cant at least poll the fans to find out if there is a demand for an FF lower standing area and how many would be willing to move from their current seats in order to fill it.

Look at any clubs around the world, the last area of stadiums to suffer from missing fans when crowds are low are the ultras sections behind the goals, and IMO that's not just because they tend to be cheaper.

Good post. I could completely understand people not wanting to move and there would be a few but i don't think there'd be too much resistance to it. I think it would quickly become the place to be. Imagine a safe standing singing section just behind the opposition keeper, brilliant, or kicking "down the slope" towards them with the flags waving etc. My worry is with the things that have happened at ER recently Leeann probably wants to get away from that partisan atmosphere rather than encourage it.

NAE NOOKIE
29-04-2019, 02:24 PM
Good post. I could completely understand people not wanting to move and there would be a few but i don't think there'd be too much resistance to it. I think it would quickly become the place to be. Imagine a safe standing singing section just behind the opposition keeper, brilliant, or kicking "down the slope" towards them with the flags waving etc. My worry is with the things that have happened at ER recently Leeann probably wants to get away from that partisan atmosphere rather than encourage it.

I bloody hope not !!!

If we really are at the stage where a club wants to discourage a 'partisan' atmosphere then we are in danger of sanitising the game as we know it out of existence. When opposition players run out at Easter Road I want them to be ****ting themselves, not thinking 'this is nice'

When the new east stand was built Hibs went on about a wall of noise greeting the players when they emerged from the tunnel. That was never going to happen because a 6000 capacity east stand was never going to be filled with 6000 mentalists …. what it was always going to do was be filled with the 2000 or so radges who occupied the old east stand getting more or less lost amongst the 'normal' day to day fans … and that is exactly what did happen. Any notion that their presence would turn the other 4000 east stand punters into screamers, shouters and singers was and has proved to be pie in the sky.

Its another reason why I want to see the whole of the FF lower being given over. It will give the 'ultras' their own self contained area which would be front and centre and visible all around the stadium apart from in the FF upper. It would ramp up their sense of identity which happens to a lot of 'ultras' around Europe who claim a section of their clubs stadium as their own and encourage younger kids to want to be part of it.

If you want kids to get enthused about following a club to the suits in the boardroom the way to do that may well be to protect them from sweary words and give them safe access to face painting, Pizza and chips. When I was a kid ( though I admit I didn't attend my first Hibs match until I was 15 ) what I wanted was to be part of a support with a reputation for getting behind and supporting their club that other fans talked about and envied … I couldn't have given a rats arse about mascots or catering.

If kids are still the same now, and I cant see why they wouldn't be, then sitting in the west, south or east watching the ultras giving it laldy in the FF lower on a Saturday and wanting to be part of it one day is in my opinion a far bigger draw that will get them coming back when they are able to go on their own than any amount of facial artwork or crinkly cut chips.

My hope is that one day the demand to watch from the FF lower standing section will be so high that Hibs will end up demolishing the FF in order to rebuild it as a 3 to 4 thousand capacity single tier stand as steep as the east is now :greengrin

Since452
29-04-2019, 02:55 PM
I bloody hope not !!!

If we really are at the stage where a club wants to discourage a 'partisan' atmosphere then we are in danger of sanitising the game as we know it out of existence. When opposition players run out at Easter Road I want them to be ****ting themselves, not thinking 'this is nice'

When the new east stand was built Hibs went on about a wall of noise greeting the players when they emerged from the tunnel. That was never going to happen because a 6000 capacity east stand was never going to be filled with 6000 mentalists …. what it was always going to do was be filled with the 2000 or so radges who occupied the old east stand getting more or less lost amongst the 'normal' day to day fans … and that is exactly what did happen. Any notion that their presence would turn the other 4000 east stand punters into screamers, shouters and singers was and has proved to be pie in the sky.

Its another reason why I want to see the whole of the FF lower being given over. It will give the 'ultras' their own self contained area which would be front and centre and visible all around the stadium apart from in the FF upper. It would ramp up their sense of identity which happens to a lot of 'ultras' around Europe who claim a section of their clubs stadium as their own and encourage younger kids to want to be part of it.

If you want kids to get enthused about following a club to the suits in the boardroom the way to do that may well be to protect them from sweary words and give them safe access to face painting, Pizza and chips. When I was a kid ( though I admit I didn't attend my first Hibs match until I was 15 ) what I wanted was to be part of a support with a reputation for getting behind and supporting their club that other fans talked about and envied … I couldn't have given a rats arse about mascots or catering.

If kids are still the same now, and I cant see why they wouldn't be, then sitting in the west, south or east watching the ultras giving it laldy in the FF lower on a Saturday and wanting to be part of it one day is in my opinion a far bigger draw that will get them coming back when they are able to go on their own than any amount of facial artwork or crinkly cut chips.

My hope is that one day the demand to watch from the FF lower standing section will be so high that Hibs will end up demolishing the FF in order to rebuild it as a 3 to 4 thousand capacity single tier stand as steep as the east is now :greengrin

Agree word for word. When my old man took me to Easter Road as a nipper i was drawn to the old east stand like a moth to a flame. Loved the atmosphere the nutters and the singing and to be honest it made me want to go back win, lose or draw. Lost that a bit as you say. Imagine being a young lad/lass and seeing that behind the goals. Thats how you attract fans.