PDA

View Full Version : McNulty. “No preference where I play”

timewilltell
27-04-2019, 07:54 AM
Scotland striker Marc McNulty is "desperate" to establish where he will be playing once his loan to Hibernian from Reading ends this summer.
McNulty, 26, has netted seven goals for Hibs and been an ever-present since Paul Heckingbottom became head coach.
"I've still got three years left at Reading, so I will need to have a conversation with the manager and the board down there," McNulty said.
"I'm desperate. I'm laughing now, but I probably know as much as you."
Reading are six points clear of the relegation spots in the Championship and McNulty believes his situation may become clearer when the Berkshire club's future for next season is established.

Ma-Kalambay on Drogba, Hearts and Hibs' goalkeeping curse (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47848520)
Heckingbottom 'exceeding expectations' (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48045528)

"They are nearly there, so once they are mathematically safe, we will have those conversations," McNulty, who scored once in 15 appearances for Reading after joining from Coventry City last summer, said.
"I just want to play football. I don't have a reference. If it's Scotland, England or Japan, it doesn't really make a difference to me.
"As long as I feel that the manager trusts me and I get a good run in the team, that's all that matters to me."
McNulty won his first Scotland caps against Kazakhstan and San Marino in March and is eager to be involved in next month's Euro 2020 qualifying double-header against Cyprus and Belgium, although that will be under a different manager following Alex McLeish's departure this month.
"Whoever the new manager will be, I hope he likes the way I play," McNulty added. "You sort of put summer on hold until you find out if you are in the squad or out the squad. The missus and the family are not too happy, but they know what comes first."

JimBHibees
27-04-2019, 07:59 AM
Yep that was from the press conference yesterday. You can see it on Hibs tv you tube channel. Hope we can get him back as he has been a revelation however clubs down south who can pay more will no doubt have taken notice.

Besties Debut
27-04-2019, 08:05 AM
Yep that was from the press conference yesterday. You can see it on Hibs tv you tube channel. Hope we can get him back as he has been a revelation however clubs down south who can pay more will no doubt have taken notice. Its a catch 22. Every cap he gains and goal he scores means there is less chance of him remaining at ER. With 3 years of English championship wages guaranteed i would be very surprised if we see him again after May.

Robbo6-2
27-04-2019, 08:07 AM
Abit dissipointed in that interview, His preference should be here, the club that has turned his career around.

All be it his wages are bigger down south but Hibs are the biggest club hes played for and he should be bursting a gut to get back here

Bobby's Cinema
27-04-2019, 08:10 AM
Not surprised by anything he's said, wants to leave both doors open to him no problem with that.

Most players would be thinking the same he's just being honest about saying it.

Not In The Know
27-04-2019, 08:11 AM
Abit dissipointed in that interview, His preference should be here, the club that has turned his career around.

All bit his wages are bigger down south but Hibs are the biggest club hes played for and he should be bursting a gut to get back here

He wants to be back here and the keener he is the more difficulties (expensive) reading will be to deal with.

Besties Debut
27-04-2019, 08:12 AM

All bit his wages are bigger down south but Hibs are the biggest club hes played for and he should be bursting a gut to get back here Modern football doesnt work like that. Doing well at Hibs just gives him a launching pad to have another crack at the championship. Money doesnt talk it screams

seanshow
27-04-2019, 08:15 AM
Returns to Reading to establish himself in the team.
Signs for another club.
Signs for Hibernian.
Season loan at another club.
Season loan at Hibernian.

would someone one like to arrange those probabilities :)

Besties Debut
27-04-2019, 08:15 AM
He wants to be back here and the keener he is the more difficulties (expensive) reading will be to deal with. With 3 years left on his deal Reading can do whatever they want. They hold all the aces.

JimBHibees
27-04-2019, 08:29 AM

All be it his wages are bigger down south but Hibs are the biggest club hes played for and he should be bursting a gut to get back here

Not at all disappointed he has no control at the moment.

JimBHibees
27-04-2019, 08:30 AM
Not surprised by anything he's said, wants to leave both doors open to him no problem with that.

Most players would be thinking the same he's just being honest about saying it.

Absolutely

Smartie
27-04-2019, 08:30 AM
I think he's politely saying he's got little intention of being here.

He's put himself in the shop window and it's worked out nicely for him.

The 90+2
27-04-2019, 08:31 AM
Reading staying up is huge news for us on the plus side.

The 90+2
27-04-2019, 08:31 AM

That isn’t the case at all. I think he will be at Easter Road next season.

DarlingtonHibee
27-04-2019, 08:54 AM

And us.....

WillowbraeHibby
27-04-2019, 09:05 AM
Whatever the future ahead for Marc, I would wish him well. He has given the club, and the supporters a lot of joy, and given his all in games.
We would all like him to stay, but if not, it's been a pleasure having him at the club.

we are hibs
27-04-2019, 09:12 AM

Given a permanent deal was close in January before reading changed their mind I don't think that's true. Hibs were willing to spend money, both in a transfer fee and wage wise to get him in. I would be surprised if he isn't here next season now reading are all but safe.

Caversham Green
27-04-2019, 09:14 AM
I don't think he'll be playing for Reading next season. They're likely to sign Oliveira on a permanent and already have Meite, Baldock, Bodvarsson and Loader. Loader might go out on loan but they have another couple of youngsters that they'll want to promote. I think Baldock is coming into his final year so they might see McNulty as a replacement for him in the longer term, so a season long loan is a strong possibility. They also have to watch their finances so he's not going to come cheap.

Since452
27-04-2019, 09:24 AM
Maybe he'll go to Salford City for 8k a week. Can't blame him for keeping his options open. We're small fish wages wise.

The Spaceman
27-04-2019, 09:28 AM
Don't have too many issues with what he has said tbh...

We are very lucky to have him here just now, but works well for both parties. He has managed as an Edinburgh lad to savour winning a derby at Tynecastle and has scored a couple of good goals for us. If he moves onto bigger things, I hope he is a big success.

Keith_M
27-04-2019, 09:32 AM

Could be wrong (I usually am) but I didn't get that from what he said.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

Nicho87
27-04-2019, 09:52 AM
Really like McNulty. But I felt he could have been a little warmer to the proscpect of staying at hibs just to keep the good feeling up. Didn’t like the sentence I’ll play anywhere, Scotland, England, Japan, few goals and assists with us and he’s getting international recognition. If it’s down to money he won’t be here. Really hope we try and sign him.

hfc rd
27-04-2019, 10:07 AM
Hope he stays but will have to see in the summer what happens. I’m sure Heckingbottom and the recruitment team will already have targets in mind if we are unable to get him back for next season.

Aldo
27-04-2019, 10:14 AM
He said what you would expect of him tbh. He is only on loan and doesn’t want to burn any bridges with his parent club.

By all accounts they wanted a bit more than we could afford but hopefully work is taking place behind the scenes to try and resolve that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

basehibby
27-04-2019, 11:14 AM
would someone one like to arrange those probabilities :)

I'd put them as follows:

Season loan at Hibernian.
Returns to Reading to establish himself in the team.
Season loan at another club.
Signs for Hibernian.
Signs for another club.

I'd be surprised if we were able to buy out/compete with 3 years of whatever Reading are paying McNulty and, whatever happens I would expect him to remain on Reading's books next season. However, from what others have posted he has a lot of competition for a starting place so there's a strong possibility he'll want to go out on loan again. That being the case I would see Hibs as being favourites to land his signature for another season - it's worked for McNulty and Reading and I see no reason why the arrangement would not be repeated unless Reading plan to give him more game time themselves.

chrisski33
27-04-2019, 11:52 AM
Sounds like he will be elsewhere next season

Allant1981
27-04-2019, 11:58 AM
Sounds like he will be elsewhere next season

He literally says he doesn't know what's happening

matty_f
27-04-2019, 12:08 PM
Could be wrong (I usually am) but I didn't get that from what he said.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part.

I'm with you - I didn't think that either.

He has to keep in mind he's still contracted to Reading so he can't just say he wants to sign for us or anyone else.

bigwheel
27-04-2019, 12:12 PM
I'm with you - I didn't think that either.

He has to keep in mind he's still contracted to Reading so he can't just say he wants to sign for us or anyone else.

He’s bound to want another crack at Reading or the championship if he can get one ...he can always go somewhere else like us if it doesn’t work out ....

Think the only chance of us getting him is if Reading decide they want to exit him during next August ...

27-04-2019, 12:23 PM
Not at all disappointed he has no control at the moment.

I agree.

Not disappointed with what he said.He can't go saying he's desperate to join Hibs. I think we've got an outside chance of getting him back on loan next season.

Lago
27-04-2019, 12:24 PM

Unfortunately it is a fact of footballing life that Hibs & Scottish football in general is merely a stepping stone to bigger clubs in better paid leagues.

Davy Mac
27-04-2019, 12:51 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if NL moves in for him over the summer. But I trust PH will have more affordable but more medium to long term targets. The ever revolving ER door.

Borderhibbie76
27-04-2019, 01:07 PM
Hes a really good player who i would love to stay with us...but not by any means irreplaceable weve lost better and coped before. Quite relaxed about it and trust Hecky and the recruitment team to adequately replace him if its needed

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
27-04-2019, 01:39 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if NL moves in for him over the summer. But I trust PH will have more affordable but more medium to long term targets. The ever revolving ER door.

He isn't better than Griffiths or Edouard so I cant see it. Doubt Lennon will get that job anyway.

Hiber-nation
27-04-2019, 01:42 PM

NL won't be there.

NAE NOOKIE
27-04-2019, 02:19 PM
Would love to see him at Hibs for next season, but the truth is its probably an outside chance. There's no way we could match his Reading wages so its unlikely he would sign a permanent deal with us and if he stays there I would imagine Reading would be looking to loan him to another Championship club if they can. Its a bit like Barkley, his loan at Hibs was very successful, but Man City probably thought Preston NE would give him more appropriate experience of the English game and at least be a better shop window if they wanted to offload him.

As has been said, in the likely event that he does leave I have every faith Hibs have already been casting our eye around Europe for a replacement. Of course at the moment that's the big unanswered question about Hecky …. does he have an eye for a player?

147lothian
27-04-2019, 04:56 PM

I don't see it like that, he's under contract at Reading, they are not playing him so he speaks to the board and says he just wants to be playing football, its the best way for him to arrange another loan to us, this is where he's been playing and got his career back on track so they may allow him to return rather than go elsewhere under a different manager who doesn't play him putting him back to square 1 in his career development

Heisenberg
27-04-2019, 04:57 PM
That’s Reading confirmed as staying in the Championship and you would assume the same manager who didn’t fancy McNulty will now be staying as well. Good news for us hopefully.

Jim44
27-04-2019, 05:08 PM
NL won't be there.

If they win the league and cup, I think they will offer him a one year rolling contract.

DetroitHibs
27-04-2019, 07:18 PM
My major concern is getting it over and done early. We either sign him or we don’t, but let’s not drag it out all summer. Have a plan B ready and get our business done as early as possible.

Diclonius
27-04-2019, 07:25 PM
My major concern is getting it over and done early. We either sign him or we don’t, but let’s not drag it out all summer. Have a plan B ready and get our business done as early as possible.

Yup.

Rather get someone in and fit for the start of the season than Marc McNulty on the final day of the transfer window on loan again after we've dropped points because we haven't got a finisher.

Smartie
27-04-2019, 07:38 PM
Yup.

Rather get someone in and fit for the start of the season than Marc McNulty on the final day of the transfer window on loan again after we've dropped points because we haven't got a finisher.

We've seen it so often.

The challenge for our recruitment team next season is to get our team in place before the end of January.

Hiber-nation
27-04-2019, 09:12 PM
If they win the league and cup, I think they will offer him a one year rolling contract.

Celtc fans I know say there's not a hope in hell. They certainly don't want him either! Who knows, you might be right.

GreenCastle
27-04-2019, 09:19 PM
His missus is in Edinburgh and they have a young kid.

I have a feeling he will stay in Scotland with us or Celtic but I’m not sure he would be first choice at Celtic.

Maybe he will go back down south but I think another season at Hibs would do him wonders and then he would have more options.

I’ve been really impressed with him and his attitude plus he’s a great guy / has helped Flo get his confidence back so would be delighted if he stayed.

Northernhibee
27-04-2019, 10:00 PM
I don’t think we need to worry. McNulty will be perfectly aware from Flo, SDG etc what it was like to work under Lennon this season and even if he wanted him there’s no guarantee at all that he would want to play for him.