PDA

View Full Version : NHC Bolton call off game against Brentford tomorrow

Hibeesmad
26-04-2019, 09:56 PM
Game against Brentford tomorrow called off due to unpaid wages. Nottingham Forest game also in doubt.

What a sad state of affairs.

Callum_62
26-04-2019, 10:00 PM
I remember a few weeks ago the owner (or chairman?) responding to the players statement by basically saying they are wrong to complain as the wages are only a few days late and all is well

It appears it wasnt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibeesmad
26-04-2019, 10:12 PM
I remember a few weeks ago the owner (or chairman?) responding to the players statement by basically saying they are wrong to complain as the wages are only a few days late and all is well

It appears it wasnt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've got to admire the staff and players for even going this long with commitment to the club and it's supporters. But I totally understand their decision, if I wasn't getting paid I'd do the exact same.

I doubt that the fans will be too pleased about all this mess, will be interesting to see what action they take.

eastmainsmsh
26-04-2019, 10:28 PM
Sad for fans moneys ruined the game

MWHIBBIES
26-04-2019, 10:33 PM

Spending money they didn't have has ruined them, same as any business.

hfc rd
26-04-2019, 11:31 PM
Understandable by the players to go on strike. They’ve got families to look after and feed at the end of the day. If I wasn’t getting my wages from work, I’d do the same.

CMurdoch
26-04-2019, 11:33 PM
That is serious ****.
The English FA will not be at all happy.
What a mess.

Silky
27-04-2019, 12:18 AM
That is serious ****.
The English FA will not be at all happy.
What a mess.

It's all that's wrong with the English game imo. They got to the big league, then spent massive money on the likes of Anelka and Okocha, money they were never going to recoup all to chase a dream. I read that their late owner plowed in something like £180m before selling up. That's ridiculous and now, sadly, there is absolutely nothing to show for it. Coupled with another, allegedly, dodgy would-be owner waiting in the wings to pick up the pieces, it seems like there is not going to be a happy ending for this famous club.

Smartie
27-04-2019, 08:44 AM
Understandable by the players to go on strike. They’ve got families to look after and feed at the end of the day. If I wasn’t getting my wages from work, I’d do the same.

Without knowing the full story, I'd try to reach some sort of compromise regarding late payments in order to ensure the survival of the club that puts fuel in my Maserati and diamonds in my ears.

It's not that I don't have sympathy but they'll surely get their money.

Bristolhibby
27-04-2019, 08:48 AM
Do Brentford not get a 3-0 win?

J

hibbycraig
27-04-2019, 09:01 AM
Without knowing the full story, I'd try to reach some sort of compromise regarding late payments in order to ensure the survival of the club that puts fuel in my Maserati and diamonds in my ears.

It's not that I don't have sympathy but they'll surely get their money.

Not the first time this season that wages have been late tho. The PFA have been involved at Bolton since the start of the season. Poor management from the executive team there has led to these problems.

hfc rd
27-04-2019, 09:52 AM
Do Brentford not get a 3-0 win?

J

Was thinking the same thing as well.

Viva_Palmeiras
27-04-2019, 10:11 AM
Game against Brentford tomorrow called off due to unpaid wages. Nottingham Forest game also in doubt.

What a sad state of affairs.

On the face of it simply not good enough.
The sooner the football clubs (and to protect them against themselves) football authorities realise their primary goal should the sustainability of the game the better
Where there’s competitive advantage in cheating financially the lemmings - imagine if Hibs or Celtic (whocares) went financially toe-to-toe with Vlad and Murray?
Football needs to get its house in order. Where is the SKY and BT Sports windfall going?

Killiehibbie
27-04-2019, 10:11 AM
I'd imagine a few more will go the same way.

Viva_Palmeiras
27-04-2019, 10:14 AM

But many fans hanker for and demand chasing the Sky Money...

Question:
Does more money = better performances / better quality players

Or

Does it just inflate everything and things pretty much stay the same -just everyone gets a pay rise?? And if the latter where does it all end?

Viva_Palmeiras
27-04-2019, 10:16 AM
I'd imagine a few more will go the same way.

In a perverse way the more clubs that go to the wall increases the ability of the saviours (Sky et al) to call the shots (British league / European league)...

calumhibee1
27-04-2019, 10:24 AM
Spending money they didn't have has ruined them, same as any business.

Yup. If they can’t generate the funds to compete at the top level then they have to accept their rightful place in the game in the lower leagues. They’ve ruined themselves. Feel sorry for the fans though.

Keith_M
27-04-2019, 10:31 AM
I realise the players are innocent victims in this but, if they really cared about the fans, and ensuring their club had a future, they would be willing to continue playing to the end of the season for no wages.

Let's face it, none of them are exactly living hand-to-mouth here. They're already ridiculously overpaid for the job they do and will have big houses, fancy cars and overflowing bank accounts.

Allant1981
27-04-2019, 10:40 AM
I realise the players are innocent victims in this but, if they really cared about the fans, and ensuring their club had a future, they would be willing to continue playing to the end of the season for no wages.

Let's face it, none of them are exactly living hand-to-mouth here. They're already ridiculously overpaid for the job they do and will have big houses, fancy cars and overflowing bank accounts.

Why should they play? Would you continue working if you weren't being paid, I know for a fact i wouldnt, i like my job, i am well paid but doesn't mean I'd do it for nowt

Keith_M
27-04-2019, 10:43 AM
Why should they play? Would you continue working if you weren't being paid, I know for a fact i wouldnt, i like my job, i am well paid but doesn't mean I'd do it for nowt

If I was a very well paid player, with hundreds of thousands (or even millions) in the bank, and knew that my not playing might jeopardise the future of the club, then yes I would.

Each to their own, I suppose.

Allant1981
27-04-2019, 10:48 AM
If I was a very well paid player, with hundreds of thousands (or even millions) in the bank, and knew that my not playing might jeopardise the future of the club, then yes I would.

Each to their own, I suppose.

Easy to say that when you arent in that position

Keith_M
27-04-2019, 10:50 AM
Easy to say that when you arent in that position

What position? Being totally minted?

Aye, poor wee souls, let's all have a whip round for them.

Wakeyhibee
27-04-2019, 10:51 AM

I'm pretty sure they'll spend their money much like anyone else ie they'll have committed to a mortgage, new car etc... based on what they are due to be paid.

It's a sad state of affairs all round, for club, supporters and players. Its the game we have today unfortunately

Allant1981
27-04-2019, 10:52 AM
What position? Being totally minted?

Aye, poor wee souls, let's all have a whip round for them.

A wee bit jealous? Amazing that you know how much money they all have, how did you manage that? Hopefully you will never be in the position where you arent paid at the end of each month

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-04-2019, 10:54 AM

If the club are not paying wages, then that maybe means the reserves and youth team players as well? I would suspect that they are not on fortunes?

How many days would you turn up to work without being paid?

hibIBZ
27-04-2019, 11:10 AM
I'm pretty sure they'll spend their money much like anyone else ie they'll have committed to a mortgage, new car etc... based on what they are due to be paid.

It's a sad state of affairs all round, for club, supporters and players. Its the game we have today unfortunately

This, most peoples lifestyle will be determined by their pay and what they expect to be paid. Yes they probably have nice houses and a nice car, but these things need to be paid for and short term might put the players in a tough financial situation. Also echoing others the first team players are possibly just the tip of the ice berg with many other employees missing wages that I am sure they rely on. Also playing for free could set a precedent that other clubs might continue towards financial ruin without a care because the PFA allows players to play for free

Keith_M
27-04-2019, 11:17 AM
I just hope the Fans have got a club to support next season. Even though it's now almost 30 years ago, I vividly remember how it felt when the Mercer 'takeover' (i.e. shutdown) was announced.

Maybe the footballing authorities should look into ways to prevent this happening again, e.g. enforcing strict financial fair play rules.

Lago
27-04-2019, 12:27 PM
In their case it is a lack of money.

Eyrie
27-04-2019, 03:11 PM
But many fans hanker for and demand chasing the Sky Money...

Question:
Does more money = better performances / better quality players

Or

Does it just inflate everything and things pretty much stay the same -just everyone gets a pay rise?? And if the latter where does it all end?

If you're one of only a few clubs doing it, then it's the former.

If almost every club is trying the same thing then it's the latter.

NAE NOOKIE
27-04-2019, 03:32 PM
I would imagine Bolton have a large bank debt …. I would also imagine the total money owed by English football in general is absolutely massive. It will only take a big club to do a Bolton to set the ball rolling. If that sounds outlandish it should be remembered that the whole worldwide financial crisis kicked off when one bank refused to make a loan to another … even though that was like a Turkey voting for Christmas because they must have known it would set off a chain of events that would bugger up everybody, including themselves.

There is hardly a Scottish club with access to a line of credit at the bank now because of the number of our clubs who were clearly unable to repay loans. How long until at least the EFL clubs find themselves in that position?

LancashireHibby
27-04-2019, 07:32 PM
I would imagine Bolton have a large bank debt …. I would also imagine the total money owed by English football in general is absolutely massive. It will only take a big club to do a Bolton to set the ball rolling. If that sounds outlandish it should be remembered that the whole worldwide financial crisis kicked off when one bank refused to make a loan to another … even though that was like a Turkey voting for Christmas because they must have known it would set off a chain of events that would bugger up everybody, including themselves.

There is hardly a Scottish club with access to a line of credit at the bank now because of the number of our clubs who were clearly unable to repay loans. How long until at least the EFL clubs find themselves in that position?
Little to no bank debt at all, Eddie Davies always made sure he was the one owed rather than the banks. Shortly before he passed away, he wrote off all of the money that he was owed, but with a number of high-wage contracts due and little money coming in, the writing was on the wall.

Interesting to note that, amongst the other Bolton fans I know at least, not a single person has supported the players in their actions. They know they will get their money eventually, either via the PFA or as secured creditors if we are liquidated, and all they have done is bring sanctions against a club that they won’t be playing for next season which will do nothing to attract a new owner.

Not convinced that there is much scope for a re-formed team, and if it did happen it would certainly not play at the current stadium and would have to join the pyramid at pretty much entry level.

A very real chance now that my local team, the team I’ve supported virtually my whole life, that introduced me to a some of my best friends, introduced me to my Mrs, that I used to work for, will cease to exist after the next court appearance on 8th May.

Hibeesmad
27-04-2019, 07:36 PM
Little to no bank debt at all, Eddie Davies always made sure he was the one owed rather than the banks. Shortly before he passed away, he wrote off all of the money that he was owed, but with a number of high-wage contracts due and little money coming in, the writing was on the wall.

Interesting to note that, amongst the other Bolton fans I know at least, not a single person has supported the players in their actions. They know they will get their money eventually, either via the PFA or as secured creditors if we are liquidated, and all they have done is bring sanctions against a club that they won’t be playing for next season which will do nothing to attract a new owner.

Not convinced that there is much scope for a re-formed team, and if it did happen it would certainly not play at the current stadium and would have to join the pyramid at pretty much entry level.

A very real chance now that my local team, the team I’ve supported virtually my whole life, that introduced me to a some of my best friends, introduced me to my Mrs, that I used to work for, will cease to exist after the next court appearance on 8th May.

Horrible that it has come to this. A club which has a huge affect on people's lives being ruined is the last thing you want to see. Unless it's The Rangers.

monktonharp
27-04-2019, 11:02 PM
A wee bit jealous? Amazing that you know how much money they all have, how did you manage that? Hopefully you will never be in the position where you arent paid at the end of each monthyou have mentioned Amazing in your response to a previous poster. I find it Amazing that you tend to support or defend the players at the top end of the wages scale of BWFC , as they all must have huge wages which the club's fans can only dream of. the players and backroom staff at the other end or lower scale of things are the real victims of whats happened here and I feel for them. don't try to defend some guy that may have bought a million pound house on the strength of his supposed wage. get real

Allant1981
28-04-2019, 06:07 AM
you have mentioned Amazing in your response to a previous poster. I find it Amazing that you tend to support or defend the players at the top end of the wages scale of BWFC , as they all must have huge wages which the club's fans can only dream of. the players and backroom staff at the other end or lower scale of things are the real victims of whats happened here and I feel for them. don't try to defend some guy that may have bought a million pound house on the strength of his supposed wage. get real

You really do post some rubbish on here, you do know in lots of areas in England a million pound house isn't that much of a big deal, and everyone that works buys a house on what they are supposed to earn, so again more rubbish from you, and yes I'll back any player/backroom staff member going on strike regardless of how much they earn, he/she is entitled to it if worked it.

pontius pilate
28-04-2019, 08:18 AM
Seems BWFC have been ordered to play both remaining fixtures the one against brentford at the earliest opportunity. The EFL have stated they know reserve/youth team players will be used for these games and the reason for Saturday's game being called off was the youth team played on Thursday and the recovery time wasnt enough. Surely with the furore of teams playing weakened teams this will be an ubfair advantage. Also Ken Anderson is blaming the new guy coming in as he gave assurances I was under the impression the new guy had no authority to pay wages etc as he doesn't hold the shares that KA holds and has transferred over as yet. A complete basket case at the very top of that club hopefully they come back stronger and secure

LancashireHibby
28-04-2019, 09:30 AM
You really do post some rubbish on here, you do know in lots of areas in England a million pound house isn't that much of a big deal
Bar a couple of areas in what is a huge borough, this isn’t one of those areas. In fact I’d so as far to suggest that Bolton as a town probably has one of the biggest disparities in earnings from top to bottom.

The players aren’t on the millions that they were in the past, but I’d say even some of the most middling squad players will get paid 5-10 times more than I do in a year.

PatHead
28-04-2019, 09:45 AM

Feel for you. Hope someone can pull something out of the hat like Hearts managed.

Allant1981
28-04-2019, 09:48 AM
Bar a couple of areas in what is a huge borough, this isn’t one of those areas. In fact I’d so as far to suggest that Bolton as a town probably has one of the biggest disparities in earnings from top to bottom.

The players aren’t on the millions that they were in the past, but I’d say even some of the most middling squad players will get paid 5-10 times more than I do in a year.

Out of interest what is the average wage at the club? I agree that a million quid for a house is mental but let's be honest if you are earning couple of 100k per year and up then it's probably the same as me buying my house at a couple of hundred thousand

LancashireHibby
28-04-2019, 07:17 PM
Out of interest what is the average wage at the club? I agree that a million quid for a house is mental but let's be honest if you are earning couple of 100k per year and up then it's probably the same as me buying my house at a couple of hundred thousand
We’ve not released any accounts since the end of the 2016/17 when we got promoted out of League One but the wage figure for that season was £13.8m (http://priceoffootball.com/bolton-wanderers-whats-the-frequency-kenneth/) although that will have been for the entire club rather than specifically the playing staff. Even squad players will be on absolute minimum of £150,000 a year.

Sammy7nil
28-04-2019, 09:26 PM
I am totally with the players. You live your life and spend according to your income now many people could live without a wage even for a month?

If they had been offered 50% of their wage perhaps I would say they could carry on but not on nothing.

Everyone should have the right to withdraw their labour if they are not being paid.

monktonharp
28-04-2019, 09:44 PM
You really do post some rubbish on here, you do know in lots of areas in England a million pound house isn't that much of a big deal, and everyone that works buys a house on what they are supposed to earn, so again more rubbish from you, and yes I'll back any player/backroom staff member going on strike regardless of how much they earn, he/she is entitled to it if worked it.a million pound house anywhere is a big deal. don't say it aint. don't accuse me of spouting some pish on here, because I actually think you don't live in a real world. will any of them need to go to a foodbank any time soon ? don't think so. have any of them had to withdraw there labour for a year, and could they? and could they survive out of principle on that basis ? I THINK NOT. I have done that, and survived bringing up 3 children without help from any government body and before the advent of foodbanks so dinnae accuse me of talking pish. that kind of talk on here is or was regarded as a personal attack by the ADMINS at one stage.|!

monktonharp
28-04-2019, 09:51 PM
I am totally with the players. You live your life and spend according to your income now many people could live without a wage even for a month?

If they had been offered 50% of their wage perhaps I would say they could carry on but not on nothing.

Everyone should have the right to withdraw their labour if they are not being paid. do you know anyone that has to set their alarm tonight, for 6am. just incase the agency calls them to say there's work today?

Haymaker
28-04-2019, 11:27 PM
I won't blame the players. Not their fault they were offered wages the club cannot afford. They signed contracts, they should be kept.

It's a terrible shame it's all come to this however and I feel for the supporters. I hope we never go through such an issue.

Bristolhibby
29-04-2019, 12:01 AM
At what point does a player / agent do due diligence into the organisation offering them a contract?

This is a bit like that Fyre Festival.

When you are conned, when does it become your fault?

However like has been said, if Bolton go belly up, I’m sure the players will get their money.

Still confused as to why Brentford haven’t been awarded a 3-0 victory.

Thought that was the standard thing when you can’t olay a game.

Or in Motherwell's case, just leave the sprinklers on and flood the pitch. (Seemed to remember that happening to us).

J

IWasThere2016
29-04-2019, 12:55 AM

I've stayed here 2 and a bit years, and this is absolutely correct.

There are flats at £30k to a house at £5.5m ..

The local paper just printed this - https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/17599857.amp/

the gap between have and have not is staggering in/around Bolton.

Allant1981
29-04-2019, 05:09 AM
a million pound house anywhere is a big deal. don't say it aint. don't accuse me of spouting some pish on here, because I actually think you don't live in a real world. will any of them need to go to a foodbank any time soon ? don't think so. have any of them had to withdraw there labour for a year, and could they? and could they survive out of principle on that basis ? I THINK NOT. I have done that, and survived bringing up 3 children without help from any government body and before the advent of foodbanks so dinnae accuse me of talking pish. that kind of talk on here is or was regarded as a personal attack by the ADMINS at one stage.|!

A personal attack!! Good one. And no to a lot of people a million pounds isnt as outrageous as it used to be for a house

Baader
29-04-2019, 11:13 AM
The club have badly mismanaged themselves. Not the players.