PDA

View Full Version : Makalamby

CockneyRebel
26-04-2019, 12:57 PM
Not a bad read from Makalamby on BBC Sports News. Can't post a link as my PC and mobile are only one step up from an abacus.

Onceinawhile
26-04-2019, 01:01 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47848520

Squaring up to Yogi ffs. Why is a manager getting that involved :rolleyes:?

I remember being at his debut well, was a cracking night.:agree::thumbsup:

HoboHarry
26-04-2019, 01:01 PM
Here you go then.....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47848520

My_Wife_Camille
26-04-2019, 01:15 PM
Never really rated the big man to be honest. Had a few howlers in him including one against Hearts that he seems to have forgotten about.

He was a fairly likeable character though but I also always felt he was a bit of a storyteller like Big Gaz.

JimBHibees
26-04-2019, 01:16 PM
Hibs goalkeeping curse will never go away. Dear oh dear. :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
26-04-2019, 01:16 PM
Mycalamity more like? :greengrin

Golden Bear
26-04-2019, 01:21 PM
My nerves are fragile enough on a Derby weekend without seeing that name again! :greengrin

Gloucester Hibs
Never really rated the big man to be honest. Had a few howlers in him including one against Hearts that he seems to have forgotten about.

He was a fairly likeable character though but I also always felt he was a bit of a storyteller like Big Gaz.

Velicka(?) I think. Horribly soft goal that kind of squirmed in, the like of which we rarely get against them!

Pretty Boy
Good guy, not a great goalkeeper.

Tbf to him he should never have been put in the position. We had a succession of high profile goalkeeping errors prior to his arrival and the media were lapping it up. We needed an experienced steady Eddie to calm the furore down. Instead John Collins heaped all of that pressure on the shoulders of a 20 year old who had never played a 1st team game.

Waxy
26-04-2019, 01:24 PM
What goalkeeping curse?
Henry henry drop the ball.

worcesterhibby
26-04-2019, 01:26 PM
BBC making up a "curse" total rubbish. We currently have the best two keepers in the league !

My_Wife_Camille
26-04-2019, 01:28 PM
BBC making up a "curse" total rubbish. We currently have the best two keepers in the league !
It was Makalambay that mentioned it, not the BBC.

sauzee6_2
26-04-2019, 01:30 PM
Not a bad read from Makalamby on BBC Sports News. Can't post a link as my PC and mobile are only one step up from an abacus.

Very selective memory from Yves.

Why was Yogi having a go at him? Because he was 10 minutes late for training, and why did a teammate step in? Because the players where fed up with it being the ‘Yves show’.

Not sure what this article is trying to achieve, but be assured his version of events are exaggerated.

He fails to mention the lengths the players and staff went to make him feel part of the squad - he seemed to revel in being an outsider....then play the victim.

He was unmanageable by the time he left - not turning up to training, going awol, charging personal bills to the club.

He left a bitter taste for many.

Golden Bear
26-04-2019, 01:30 PM
What was the name of the poster on here who used to rave about Makalamby being destined for greatness? I could never make up my mind up whether he/she was extracting the urine or not. :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
26-04-2019, 01:31 PM
A big likable guy, but not nearly consistent enough as a keeper. He could be brilliant and farcical in the same match. Overall a big no.

Pretty Boy
26-04-2019, 01:33 PM
What was the name of the poster on here who used to rave about Makalamby being destined for greatness? I could never make up my mind up whether he/she was extracting the urine or not. :greengrin

I remember him.

He bet me £100 that Makalambay would be playing in the EPL within 3 years. I'm still waiting on my money.

Broken Gnome
26-04-2019, 01:41 PM

Was it Hibs Spain? He was insane or commendably devoted to a wind-up.

3-3 against Aberdeen fairly soon after he arrived remains the worst I've ever seen from a Hibs keeper. Not even Smith or Zibi could take the blame for three howlers in one game.

Diclonius
26-04-2019, 01:43 PM
"At Hibs, you could win 4-1, concede one goal from a mistake, and afterwards it's all about the goalkeeping curse," he says. "I do not think the curse will go away as long as the derby is there because the Hearts fans are feeding on that. That's why my biggest achievement in Scottish football was never making a mistake against Hearts."

Aye, apart from the one where you fumbled Velicka's shot into the net at Tynecastle in a 1-0 win for them. And the one where you ran about a mile from the goal trying to close down Driver, leaving Nade with a tap-in in the Scottish Cup defeat at ER.

It's bizarre that he would make that claim when the evidence is there.

Hibernia&Alba
26-04-2019, 01:47 PM

3-3 against Aberdeen fairly soon after he arrived remains the worst I've ever seen from a Hibs keeper. Not even Smith or Zibi could take the blame for three howlers in one game.

That's half the forum :greengrin

Golden Bear
26-04-2019, 01:47 PM

That's the name. 👍

JeMeSouviens
26-04-2019, 01:53 PM
"At Hibs, you could win 4-1, concede one goal from a mistake, and afterwards it's all about the goalkeeping curse," he says. "I do not think the curse will go away as long as the derby is there because the Hearts fans are feeding on that. That's why my biggest achievement in Scottish football was never making a mistake against Hearts."

Aye, apart from the one where you fumbled Velicka's shot into the net at Tynecastle in a 1-0 win for them. And the one where you ran about a mile from the goal trying to close down Driver, leaving Nade with a tap-in in the Scottish Cup defeat at ER.

It's bizarre that he would make that claim when the evidence is there.

Great song, ***** keeper.

Callyballybe
26-04-2019, 01:56 PM
Obviously doesn't follow Hibs, or Scottish football, that much anymore if he thinks we still have a goalkeeping curse.

Seems a bit of a character, but is yesterday's news.

JeMeSouviens
26-04-2019, 01:56 PM
I remember him.

He bet me £100 that Makalambay would be playing in the EPL within 3 years. I'm still waiting on my money.

He got on the bench at a premier league play off final. Bet that was a lot closer than you thought!

Smartie
26-04-2019, 01:58 PM
I liked him.

Remember when he goosed his leg and had to throw the ball out all the time, and he was effortlessly hurling it up by the halfway line?

He's the bonkers epitome of a Hibs goalkeeper. A personality, capable of utter brilliance when he could be bothered but gaffe prone. His howlers were worse than Zibi's, he just chose to have a few less against Hearts than Zibi (who I always thought was actually pretty decent, very unfortunate to make all of his mistakes against them).

JimBHibees
26-04-2019, 02:21 PM
I liked him.

Remember when he goosed his leg and had to throw the ball out all the time, and he was effortlessly hurling it up by the halfway line?

He's the bonkers epitome of a Hibs goalkeeper. A personality, capable of utter brilliance when he could be bothered but gaffe prone. His howlers were worse than Zibi's, he just chose to have a few less against Hearts than Zibi (who I always thought was actually pretty decent, very unfortunate to make all of his mistakes against them).

Wonder if he enjoyed his free Lithuanian holidays. :greengrin

Besties Debut
26-04-2019, 03:03 PM
Remember against Aberdeen at Pittodrie he tried to take a kick out but instead blasted it against Robbie Winters back. It then looped over the big fools head and went in. Also against Hearts we were 1-0 down going in at half time and down to 10 men. Yves obviously didnt fancy what was coming in the second half so he cried off injured. His team mates thought he had bottled it and faked an injury

My_Wife_Camille
26-04-2019, 03:05 PM
Remember against Aberdeen at Pittodrie he tried to take a kick out but instead blasted it against Robbie Winters back. It then looped over the big fools head and went in. Also against Hearts we were 1-0 down going in at half time and down to 10 men. Yves obviously didnt fancy what was coming in the second half so he cried off injured. His team mates thought he had bottled it and faked an injury
Robbie Winters aye? :cb

Besties Debut
26-04-2019, 03:14 PM
Robbie Winters aye? :cb Ok, pull your trousers up, put away the kleenex and unlock your bedroom door....it wasnt Winters it was Lee Miller. I got it wrong and you got it right.....well done :thumbsup: :rolleyes:

My_Wife_Camille
26-04-2019, 03:17 PM
Ok, pull your trousers up, put away the kleenex and unlock your bedroom door....it wasnt Winters it was Lee Miller. I got it wrong and you got it right.....well done :thumbsup: :rolleyes:
And you took it really well too

Besties Debut
26-04-2019, 03:24 PM
And you took it really well too Took what really well? The name of a random Aberdeen player from years ago barley registers with me. I dont care who it was. Then again im not a space cadet and an anorak .:wink:

My_Wife_Camille
26-04-2019, 03:52 PM
Took what really well? The name of a random Aberdeen player from years ago barley registers with me. I dont care who it was. Then again im not a space cadet and an anorak .:wink:
I have to say, it's so refreshing to see someone respond with such humility on here when they've made a mistake. Usually people take it really badly and resort to name calling and suchlike so good on you

matty_f
26-04-2019, 04:12 PM
I have to say, it's so refreshing to see someone respond with such humility on here when they've made a mistake. Usually people take it really badly and resort to name calling and suchlike so good on you

It was very well played. :agree:

matty_f
26-04-2019, 04:15 PM
I remember him.

I've had contact from said poster, he can't remember the bet but if you can show proof of it he'll happily stump up to a charity of your choice.

lyonhibs
26-04-2019, 04:19 PM
Crapalamby more like. Good debut, then downhill from there except for the "Kevin McCann at CB" debacle at Pittodrie when we lost 3-1 (I think) but could've been a cricket score.

Besties Debut
26-04-2019, 04:31 PM
I have to say, it's so refreshing to see someone respond with such humility on here when they've made a mistake. Usually people take it really badly and resort to name calling and suchlike so good on you Grow up son

we are hibs
26-04-2019, 04:36 PM
First few games I seen him he was brilliant. Coming out and catching the ball with one hand. Getting to all these top corner shots. Saved a penalty against Inverness at ER too. They all of a sudden he was fumbling balls into the box and all over the place.

cleanyman
26-04-2019, 05:11 PM
His performance against Rangers at ER ended it for me.

tamig
26-04-2019, 05:42 PM
His performance against Rangers at ER ended it for me.

4-1 game when Stokes scored in about 10 seconds?

Danderhall Hibs
26-04-2019, 05:44 PM
I've had contact from said poster, he can't remember the bet but if you can show proof of it he'll happily stump up to a charity of your choice.

I’m sure he will - I argued on here with him all the time about Maka but when I met him he was a decent guy.

Bishop Hibee
26-04-2019, 05:45 PM
He was crap. Some of Collins signings were bizarre. He still never let in 6 like Niemi did though!

Hibernia&Alba
26-04-2019, 05:50 PM
4-1 game when Stokes scored in about 10 seconds?

Look away now...

https://youtu.be/te3iC36IGBs

Keith_M
26-04-2019, 05:50 PM

If I helps, I vividly remember it.

Liam89
26-04-2019, 06:01 PM
Took what really well? The name of a random Aberdeen player from years ago barley registers with me. I dont care who it was. Then again im not a space cadet and an anorak .:wink:

It's the main part of the article we're all discussing on this thread... about the article.

Hiber-nation
26-04-2019, 06:07 PM

Used to sit a few rows in front of me when I was in the West. Definitely a wind-up merchant.

The 90+2
26-04-2019, 06:17 PM

Was Lee Miller.

Sure he had a shambles against St Mirren at home too.

Pretty Boy
26-04-2019, 06:18 PM
I remember him.

It's good of him to stick his head above the parapet.

I'm not going to trawl through threads from years ago to prove a point though. We had a good bit verbal sparring about it (I think I got drunk one night and called him a dick because of his opinion which is a bit embarrassing).

SaulGoodman
26-04-2019, 06:23 PM

:hilarious

Besties Debut
26-04-2019, 06:29 PM
Look away now...

https://youtu.be/te3iC36IGBs The FF looked packed and we had half the amount of season ticket holders we have now in these dark times

TelaStella
26-04-2019, 07:46 PM
Look away now...

Wow. Some how thats completely escaped me for all these years and I’m probably better off for it. 1st and 4th look both as half arsed as each other and the 3rd genuinely defies logic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SChibs
26-04-2019, 08:13 PM
It's the main part of the article we're all discussing on this thread... about the article.

Plus Winters left Aberdeen 7 years before the error

Smartie
26-04-2019, 08:15 PM
Look away now...

Were we not top, with the best defensive record in the league going into that game, then took the lead after a few seconds? It went downhill from there right enough and it seems hard to believe that we'd be in such a lofty position based on that clip.

Shame Stokesy was left with some unfinished business against that club, meaning he had to take his frustrations out on a different one..........

HoboHarry
26-04-2019, 08:20 PM
He was crap. Some of Collins signings were bizarre. He still never let in 6 like Niemi did though!

Niemi had an excuse, he was finished.....😁

The 90+2
26-04-2019, 08:23 PM
Niemi had an excuse, he was finished.....😁

Naw he wasn’t, he was only about 25??!!

Broken Gnome
26-04-2019, 08:24 PM
Wow. Some how thats completely escaped me for all these years and I’m probably better off for it. 1st and 4th look both as half arsed as each other and the 3rd genuinely defies logic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Almost certain his fan club on here didn't believe he was to blame for the third.

Hibs98
26-04-2019, 08:39 PM
Like every goalkeeper that makes it to the stage he did he had everything required to be a top keeper. His problem was confidence and most of all bravery.

Quarters
26-04-2019, 08:54 PM
Big Yves has only turned out for Wycombe a couple of times this season (ironically after the first choice keeper made a couple of costly mistakes). Fair to say he’s looked what he is - a personal trainer with a sideline in football (based on the car he drives, a well paid personal trainer at that). Lovely guy mind and seems to fit in well with the rest of the squad.

jacomo
26-04-2019, 09:05 PM

It wasn’t me, although I did like him.

I remember once being vocal in my support for big Yves at a match and had what felt like half the East stand laughing at me. Good times.

Also, in that interview it says he’s now a personal trainer for Melanie Sykes. Who’s laughing now eh?

ancient hibee
26-04-2019, 09:21 PM
Yeh our goalkeeping curse.Younger,Leslie,Simpson,Goram,Rough,Leighton, Marciano.When will it end?

BILLYHIBS
26-04-2019, 09:31 PM
Yeh our goalkeeping curse.Younger,Leslie,Simpson,Goram,Rough,Leighton, Marciano.When will it end?

It is the gap between Leighton and Marciano that is worrying with a few exceptions in between

ancient hibee
26-04-2019, 09:33 PM
It is the gap between Leighton and Marciano that is worrying with a few exceptions in between
It’s too close to my bedtime to think about some of those performances.

BILLYHIBS
26-04-2019, 09:38 PM
It’s too close to my bedtime to think about some of those performances.
Don’t want to give you nightmares :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
26-04-2019, 10:08 PM

It was a dreadful spell though - the pressure ruined McNeil.