PDA

View Full Version : Sir David Gray

Captain Trips
22-04-2019, 06:07 PM
Take the cup final off the table...Still what a 100% player he has been for us hard as nails.

Smartie
22-04-2019, 06:18 PM
It's quite a large thing to have to exclude but David Gray's contribution to Hibs goes way beyond the last 15 minutes in a certain cup final.

He's been a consistently excellent performer, totally committed and a superb captain.

Our side always looks weaker without him in it.

We've not had many (any?) right backs as good as him in my time watching Hibs.

Sir David Gray
22-04-2019, 06:18 PM
Take the cup final off the table...Still what a 100% player he has been for us hard as nails.

Cheers the cheque's in the post. :wink:

eebsie
22-04-2019, 06:41 PM
Hope he can do it for another 4 years!

BILLYHIBS
22-04-2019, 06:46 PM
He’s done no bad for a jambo!

:cup::scarf:

Besties Debut
22-04-2019, 06:52 PM
Ive see better full backs at Hibs than SDG but there is no denying that the team plays better when he is in it.

Since452
22-04-2019, 07:37 PM
Stubbs first signing. Seen it all. Warrior and legend. We'll be singing his praises for decades to come.

calumhibee1
22-04-2019, 07:48 PM
Ive see better full backs at Hibs than SDG but there is no denying that the team plays better when he is in it.

Other than David Murphy I’m not sure I’ve seen better since I began in the late 90s. He’s the best right back in the league IMO.

sauzee=legend
22-04-2019, 07:55 PM
Other than David Murphy I’m not sure I’ve seen better since I began in the late 90s. He’s the best right back in the league IMO.

100% agree

DickieDastardly
23-04-2019, 10:21 PM
100% agree

Ditto +1

The similarities in their commitment and professionalism is uncanny..

23-04-2019, 10:36 PM
Should be in the Scotland squad. Certainly wouldn't pull out unless he was half deid.

Forza Fred
23-04-2019, 10:39 PM
Being an Auld fart the title of ‘best right back in my lifetime’ undoubtedly goes to John Brownlie, and I’m pretty sure others of my vintage would agree.

However Sir David fully deserves his four year contract, AND a statue, so highly do I appreciate his warrior like performances every time he takes the field, and his club/life changing goal in the cup final.

Not since ‘run through a brick wall for Hibs’ Jimmy O’Rourke, have I seen a more determined Hibs player.

monktonharp
23-04-2019, 10:54 PM
Being an Auld fart the title of ‘best right back in my lifetime’ undoubtedly goes to John Brownlie, and I’m pretty sure others of my vintage would agree.

However Sir David fully deserves his four year contract, AND a statue, so highly do I appreciate his warrior like performances every time he takes the field, and his club/life changing goal in the cup final.

Not since ‘run through a brick wall for Hibs’ Jimmy O’Rourke, have I seen a more determined Hibs player.:agree:sums it all up perfectly mate. Brownlie, superb. O'Rourke immense and David Gray……….. just cant get enough. he is so so good with his performances and continuity of effort. no need to mention the cup win as that's a given but he just keeps performing.

jacomo
23-04-2019, 11:02 PM
Should be in the Scotland squad. Certainly wouldn't pull out unless he was half deid.

Selfishly, I’m glad he’s not.

monktonharp
23-04-2019, 11:04 PM
don't want him in a Scotland team. plays well in a good footballing team. no need to change that

basehibby
24-04-2019, 12:41 AM
don't want him in a Scotland team. plays well in a good footballing team. no need to change that

I know what you mean - the injury to Boyler shows the risks that come with the additional demands of international football. Still I would not begrudge David the honour - it's a special thing to play for your country and he certainly would not let down the jersey.

He's been brilliant for Hibs - he's given us everything these last 4 years and amongst that package of determination and grit is a superb football player - athletic and with an attitude that's a credit to his profession - great reader of the game and passer of the ball - often involved going forward but rarely caught out at the back. He would certainly be worth a cap or 5 and it may happen yet for him if he keeps tearing it up with Hibs. Delighted about his extension.

Besties Debut
24-04-2019, 04:12 AM

Not since ‘run through a brick wall for Hibs’ Jimmy O’Rourke, have I seen a more determined Hibs player. Onion was a fantastic player. I mind the game against East Fife when the dirty animals broke his leg. It cost us the league that season

bigwheel
24-04-2019, 10:13 AM
Onion was a fantastic player. I mind the game against East Fife when the dirty animals broke his leg. It cost us the league that season

he was top top notch..thats for sure..

It's a common view that (cost us the league)...may have done..as we were certainly on fire at that point of the season and at the top iirc..

the reality is though - we finished in 3rd Place. 11 points behind Rangers and 12 points behind Celtic..and this when it was 2 points for a win..

Wasn't really a close thing by the end..

BILLYHIBS
24-04-2019, 10:54 AM
he was top top notch..thats for sure..

It's a common view that (cost us the league)...may have done..as we were certainly on fire at that point of the season and at the top iirc..

the reality is though - we finished in 3rd Place. 11 points behind Rangers and 12 points behind Celtic..and this when it was 2 points for a win..

Wasn't really a close thing by the end..

John (Onion) Brownlie is definitely the best right back I have ever had the pleasure of watching at Easter Road

Better than McGrain and Jardine

The HIBS team at that time was a joy to behold playing their own brand of fast exciting entertaining attractive attacking football a “green machine.”

HIBS had just won the League Cup outclassing a very good Celtic side beat Ayr Utd 8-1 and humiliated Hearts 0-7 .

We were top of the league when we faced East Fife on 6/1/73

The crack made by Ian Printys tackle on an over stretching John Brownlies leg reverberated around Easter Road and the whole of Scottish football

Yes I agree it wasn’t a close thing in the end but it is typical HIBS that we find ourselves asking ourselves what might have been if we had a fit John Brownlie and an available Alex Edwards that found himself suspended for a ridiculous 10 games

I have no doubt it would have been a closer run thing if we had both of these excellent players available

bigwheel
24-04-2019, 10:58 AM
John (Onion) Brownlie is definitely the best right back I have ever had the pleasure of watching at Easter Road

The HIBS team at that time was a joy to behold playing their own brand of fast exciting entertaining attractive attacking football a “green machine.”

HIBS had just won the League Cup outclassing a very good Celtic side beat Ayr Utd 8-1 and humiliated Hearts 0-7 .

The crack made by Ian Printys tackle on an over stretching John Brownlies leg reverberated around Easter Road and the whole of Scottish football

Yes I agree it wasn’t a close thing in the end but it is typical HIBS that we find ourselves asking ourselves what might have been if we had a fit John Brownlie and an available Alex Edwards that found himself suspended for a ridiculous 10 games

I have no doubt it would have been a closer run thing if we had both of these excellent players available

Agree with all of that. As a young kid was at most of those games ..including Ayr and the infamous East Fife match at ER. We were flying

Bostonhibby
24-04-2019, 11:03 AM
John Brownlie was the best right back I've seen at Easter Road.

Sir David is right up there as one of the best leaders on and off the pitch.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Souter96Mac
24-04-2019, 12:30 PM
His contribution this season has been immense, cup final aside, probably one of his most influential seasons.
We've played 20 games in the league with Gray (Mostly starts and a couple apps from the bench), we've won 12 of those games, drawn 5 and lost 3. Average 2.05 points per game.

Without Gray, we've played 14, won 2, drawn 6 and lost 6. Average 0.86 points per game.

AndyM_1875
24-04-2019, 12:35 PM
Selfishly, I’m glad he’s not.

Know what you mean but if he was called up to play in the Cyprus game in June as right back for the National Team I'd be delighted for him.
Because in that game we need a win and leaders on the pitch.

Name me a better Scottish right back just now.

24-04-2019, 12:46 PM
Stubbs first signing so he's been there right from the start of this clubs rebirth. His passion, his willingness to put his body on the line, his leadership - he just GETS what it means to be hibs. What a captain he is and we should count ourselves very fortunate to have him, a great role model for the younger lads to look up to.

An immortalised hibernian legend :not worth

BILLYHIBS
24-04-2019, 01:13 PM
His contribution this season has been immense, cup final aside, probably one of his most influential seasons.
We've played 20 games in the league with Gray (Mostly starts and a couple apps from the bench), we've won 12 of those games, drawn 5 and lost 3. Average 2.05 points per game.

Without Gray, we've played 14, won 2, drawn 6 and lost 6. Average 0.86 points per game.

He has also scored 6 goals this season one more than Hearts second top goal scorer. :confused:

CockneyRebel
24-04-2019, 01:37 PM

Not since ‘run through a brick wall for Hibs’ Jimmy O’Rourke, have I seen a more determined Hibs player.

Shades?

.Sean.
24-04-2019, 02:10 PM
Think how lucky you are that 25, 50, 100 years down the line when SDG is still getting talked about, all of us on this forum will have seen him in his pomp for us and I’m not just talking about the Cup Final.

His attitude, application, grit, leadership and commitment is second to nobody else I’ve seen in my 25 years of watching Hibs (a few others are up there, noticeably LS). He’s also hard as nails and doesn’t care for reputations as he proved when he booted that fake hardman up in the air on Sunday.

Mr Hibs. Legend.

It’ll be a sad day when the likes of himself, Hanlon, Stevenson and McGregor retire from the playing side but it’s superb that they’ll all still be involved with the club in some description. Lifetime ambassador roles is the least they’d warrant.

The 90+2
24-04-2019, 02:14 PM
Top post, fully agree. It’s our privilege.

Captain Trips
24-04-2019, 02:23 PM
I thought Graeme Mitchell never shirked a tackle either

Bostonhibby
24-04-2019, 02:35 PM
Shades?My vote for best ever left back and my favourite ever Hibs player.

DaveF
24-04-2019, 02:55 PM

What did Alex Edwards do to get a 10 match ban?

Smartie
24-04-2019, 03:05 PM

We had a few really under-appreciated players around that time. Mitchell was a superb full-back who served Hibs well.

I always thought Geebsie was a cracking player, and Willie Miller on the right was good too.

Proper defenders, who could defend.

BILLYHIBS
24-04-2019, 03:41 PM
My vote for best ever left back and my favourite ever Hibs player.

John Brownlie was my best ever right back and Erich Schaedler was my best ever left back

Solid as a rock he would run through a brick wall for the cause

His game was all about athleticism speed power and pace

Not blessed with a lot of skill he would play to his strengths using his power and pace to beat a man

The 0-7 game sums up Erich Schaedler to a tee his amazing long throw for Jimmy ORourkes first goal and his powerful crunching tackle for the seventh rattling the Hearts players body like a xylophone the sheer power and pace of the challenge carrying the momentum of the ball through to Arthur Duncan who looked up picked out the graceful and immaculate Alan Gordon whose flicked but powerful header hit the inside of the far away post rolled along the line hit the inside of the near post and in 7-0

So good we signed him twice

He would go the gym long before going to the gym was fashionable

I had the pleasure of meeting Erich Schaedler once and I have to admit he is probably one of the nicest human beings I have ever had the pleasure of meeting

RIP

matty_f
24-04-2019, 03:49 PM
Aside from heading cup winning goals, my favourite thing about SDG is the way he knows exactly the right moment in a match to absolutely smash someone to get the crowd and the team going. It's a skill.

BILLYHIBS
24-04-2019, 03:53 PM

Believe it or not throwing the ball away

The SFA at that time had a complicated points system and was not suited to a player of Alex Edwards nature who was volatile and always on a short fuse

Opponents realised this and worked it to their advantage and would always target him for special treatment and wynd him up

There was a feeling at that time that the SFA and many referees in particular did not like HIBS be it the club Tom Hart or Eddie Turnbull

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/midfielders/alex-edwards

Viva_Palmeiras
24-04-2019, 04:16 PM
Aside from heading cup winning goals, my favourite thing about SDG is the way he knows exactly the right moment in a match to absolutely smash someone to get the crowd and the team going. It's a skill.

Oh yass.

Seveno
24-04-2019, 04:32 PM
It is a virtually impossible exercise when you try to compare two players from different eras. I saw John Brownlie and loved him as much as I love SDG.

What we know about Sir David is that he is an outstanding attacking and defensive right back, an inspiring leader, as brave as can be and the man that won us the Scottish Cup.

If there was a public subscription for a statue, I would contribute.

BILLYHIBS
24-04-2019, 07:54 PM
It is a virtually impossible exercise when you try to compare two players from different eras. I saw John Brownlie and loved him as much as I love SDG.

What we know about Sir David is that he is an outstanding attacking and defensive right back, an inspiring leader, as brave as can be and the man that won us the Scottish Cup.

:aok:

Bostonhibby
24-04-2019, 07:59 PM
John Brownlie was my best ever right back and Erich Schaedler was my best ever left back

Solid as a rock he would run through a brick wall for the cause

His game was all about athleticism speed power and pace

Not blessed with a lot of skill he would play to his strengths using his power and pace to beat a man

The 0-7 game sums up Erich Schaedler to a tee his amazing long throw for Jimmy ORourkes first goal and his powerful crunching tackle for the seventh rattling the Hearts players body like a xylophone the sheer power and pace of the challenge carrying the momentum of the ball through to Arthur Duncan who looked up picked out the graceful and immaculate Alan Gordon whose flicked but powerful header hit the inside of the far away post rolled along the line hit the inside of the near post and in 7-0

So good we signed him twice

He would go the gym long before going to the gym was fashionable

I had the pleasure of meeting Erich Schaedler once and I have to admit he is probably one of the nicest human beings I have ever had the pleasure of meeting

RIPI'd have struggled to put it better myself[emoji106]

Don't get me wrong, I could make a case for quite a few from that era. Shades usually comes to the top the more I dwell on it, Stanton was my hero and Jimmy O was the Mr Hibs of the day.....

Fergos
24-04-2019, 08:53 PM

A very decent player, I’d have to back SDG, Shades etc in a 50/50 though 😀

GGTTH

Kato
24-04-2019, 09:03 PM
Believe it or not throwing the ball away

The SFA at that time had a complicated points system and was not suited to a player of Alex Edwards nature who was volatile and always on a short fuse

Opponents realised this and worked it to their advantage and would always target him for special treatment and wynd him up

There was a feeling at that time that the SFA and many referees in particular did not like HIBS be it the club Tom Hart or Eddie Turnbull

http://www.hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/midfielders/alex-edwards

Stanton and Blackley also got hefty suspensions a few games after Mickey.

BILLYHIBS
24-04-2019, 09:09 PM

Telt ye!

It was a conspiracy

The SFA were against us

ABH

Anybody but HIBS

All geared towards the Old Firm

Remember 1979

overdrive
24-04-2019, 09:14 PM

I’m always struck at how slow the game was when you see clips from that era.

BILLYHIBS
24-04-2019, 09:19 PM

Inspired signing

Never let HIBS down

Beautiful left foot

Scottish League Cup winner

314 appearances 4 goals

JimBHibees
25-04-2019, 09:37 AM

I think it was a combination of previous sendings off. Think he got sent off for reacting to an East fife player booting him for the tenth time that game, pretty sure he booted same player to merit the sending off. Was an expensive game that, Brownlie broken leg and Mickey sent off.

JimBHibees
25-04-2019, 09:38 AM

Was that the Rangers game at Ibrox, when first goal was 5 yards offside.

Kato
25-04-2019, 09:46 AM
Was that the Rangers game at Ibrox, when first goal was 5 yards offside.

From memory, Aye. Blackley was booked/sent off for complaining about said decision. The SFA operated a "4 bookings and your up before the beaks" type system, with madey-up suspensions at their discretion.