PDA

View Full Version : Official Site: DARREN MCGREGOR AND DAVID GRAY AGREE NEW CONTRACTS

RSS Bot
22-04-2019, 11:00 AM
More... (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/9903)

leither17
22-04-2019, 11:01 AM
Well deserved

Since452
22-04-2019, 11:02 AM
4 year contracts seem mental!

*Should have read the whole thing first. Brilliant by the club.

BroxburnHibee
22-04-2019, 11:05 AM
4 years means they'll move into coaching positions I'm assuming.

No problem with that at all.

Well deserved.

Northernhibee
22-04-2019, 11:05 AM
Fantastic news, great to see we want to retain their influence.

500miles
22-04-2019, 11:06 AM
So the next management team, all going according to plan.

Bishop Hibee
Just saw this on SSN. Great news.

we are hibs
Absolutely delighted that both will see out their playing careers here and then remain after that. Two players who typify the hibs way. Determination, humble and take pride in their performance.

Kaff
22-04-2019, 11:07 AM
Well deserved

Brilliant, little shiver down the spine moment there!

Diclonius
22-04-2019, 11:07 AM
They finally did it. They finally gave some players those semi-mythical "player-coach" deals we've heard so much about.

Sir David Gray
22-04-2019, 11:08 AM
Brilliant news, absolutely delighted.

Liam89
22-04-2019, 11:09 AM
Fantastic. Great news!

Smartie
22-04-2019, 11:10 AM
I'm as delighted to have these 2 players signing on to continue playing for us as I would be about any new player (who would be a remotely realistic possibility) joining us.

They've been about as good in their respective positions as we've had in the past 25 years and bring so much more than just a playing contribution.

Brilliant news.

FilipinoHibs
22-04-2019, 11:10 AM

I am in tears sipping my wine by the river in Singapore. I love them to bits and want to give them a big man hug.

H18 SFR
22-04-2019, 11:15 AM
I'm really happy with this news, does anyone know if ether of them have already made significant progress with regards their coaching badges?

They really couldn't wish for a better man than Heckingbottom to be their current manager when working their way through their coaching education, Hecky is clearly a very astute operator with his masters etc.

RMQ1967
22-04-2019, 11:16 AM
Great news - well done Hibs and delighted that these guys will be around the club for a long time yet :thumbsup:

NAE NOOKIE
On recent performances new contracts are well justified for both of them, but a 4 year contract for two players who have both been increasingly injury prone and 30 and 33 respectively seem to be at the extreme end of generous, not to mention optimistic. We already have a player of a similar age to Daz sitting on his bum contributing nothing who was given a 4 year contract.

I love both players, but if you take sentiment out of it this seems like a risky strategy for a club like us who can little afford to have a squad which 2 years down the line could end up with too many players on long term deals unable to contribute fully to the team but whose wages mean we cant afford to bring in replacements.

Big_Franck
Great news that they've both signed up for next season. I can't imagine Gray playing anywhere else. Need wee Lewis to sign up now as well.

Was a bit surprised to read they were 4 year contracts, but i'd assume we are smart enough not to pay them first year player wages for those 4 years. It'll seriously hamper us 2/3 years down the line if not.

Pretty Boy
22-04-2019, 11:17 AM
So both of them will likely end their playing careers and start their coaching careers at Hibs.

As it should be. Legends.

Onion
22-04-2019, 11:17 AM
Club Legends. It's an honour to watch them play.

Hibernia&Alba
22-04-2019, 11:18 AM
Two Hibs greats. Terrific news.

dp00
22-04-2019, 11:20 AM
Never heard George Craig before but he comes across great in his interview and so passionate about hibs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big_Franck
22-04-2019, 11:20 AM
On recent performances new contracts are well justified for both of them, but a 4 year contract for two players who have both been increasingly injury prone and 30 and 33 respectively seem to be at the extreme end of generous, not to mention optimistic. We already have a player of a similar age to Daz sitting on his bum contributing nothing who was given a 4 year contract.

I love both players, but if you take sentiment out of it this seems like a risky strategy for a club like us who can little afford to have a squad which 2 years down the line could end up with too many players on long term deals unable to contribute fully to the team but whose wages mean we cant afford to bring in replacements.

That was my worry when i first opened the link. Got to hope that the people at the clud dealing with the contracts hasn't committed to paying them first team player wages for four years. That would be mental. I'm presuming their wage will change when they move in to coaching roles.

I hope to see David Gray as our manager one day.

dp00
22-04-2019, 11:21 AM

Listen to the full interview with George Craig and you’ll understand the 4 years and it makes perfect sense to me

Northernhibee
22-04-2019, 11:23 AM

I think this is to keep them in the club once they stop playing. Get them prepared for coaching and managing, get another good 2-3 seasons out of them and have them ready to run the place.

A management team of Gray and McGregor who have been honed to being the best managers they can be over a number of years by an already intelligent team in Hecky and Robbie is the ultimate succession planning.

GreenCastle
22-04-2019, 11:24 AM
Fantastic news - legends, leaders and possible future managers !

Both have played a massive part of Hibernian the last few years and long may it continue.

lyonhibs
22-04-2019, 11:25 AM
I am in tears sipping my wine by the river in Singapore. I love them to bits and want to give them a big man hug.

Is this Bulgarian balcony moment?

Great news though, a long term vision and planning from the club.

Hiber-nation
22-04-2019, 11:25 AM
Fantastic news :thumbsup:

MWHIBBIES
22-04-2019, 11:26 AM

Assume you mean Whittaker? 3 year deal and he's currently injured. Contributed plenty when fit this season and last. Excellent in recent reserve game.

Ozyhibby
22-04-2019, 11:27 AM
I think this is to keep them in the club once they stop playing. Get them prepared for coaching and managing, get another good 2-3 seasons out of them and have them ready to run the place.

A management team of Gray and McGregor who have been honed to being the best managers they can be over a number of years by an already intelligent team in Hecky and Robbie is the ultimate succession planning.

There should be no rush to get them coaching the first team. I’d be just as happy with them coaching u14’s. Ajax have no probs keeping Dennis Bergkamp coaching the kids.

matty_f
22-04-2019, 11:28 AM
Insert Daffy gif

Carheenlea
22-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Great characters who epitomise what the fans love to see in a player. Total Hibs. Delighted with this announcement and the bar is set standard wise for whoever replaces them down the line.

wookie70
22-04-2019, 11:34 AM
The type of succession planning I really can buy into. I doubt anyone signing those contracts thinks Daz and SDG will be lacing their first team boots up in 4 years but they can still continue to be great asserts to the club for those four years as coaches, mentors or any other suitable roles. Imagine SDG walking up the steps as Cup Winning manager in the future.

SlickShoes
22-04-2019, 11:35 AM

This is one of the worst takes I've seen in ages, even worse than people saying heckingbottom was out of his depth.

There is clear context to this and it's about more than immediate business to keep these guys at hibs as long as possible.

If you take the sentiment out of football then you are left with something no one has any connection to. We've recently seen other players in this league keep playing until their late thirties, no reason why these two can't also do that(but the obvious plan here is to move them into other roles with the club), and if they don't then they are great to have around regardless.

Kaff
22-04-2019, 11:35 AM

My interpretation, when also taking in LD's comments weeks ago that there has to be a place for characters like SDG and Daz within the structure of the club, is that there will be an element of football contract while still able to but then a movement to coaching or whatever department they are seen as best being employed in when not able to perform at the level required.

SDG certainly emphasised that he was looking to play for a good while yet on one of his press conference interviews but would be surprised to see him and Daz fulfill all 4 years as players tbh.

If they were in anyway responsible for nipping in the bud the downturn in relationship between NL and the players (certainly if story of SDG persuading Flo to stay is true) then we have already seen their value to the club. Butcher was able to wreck the morale and we got relegated whereas this situation was dealt with and we've recovered immediately to be back up the top half of the table, i wouldn't mind betting we've saved the value of these contracts this season alone.

neil7908
22-04-2019, 11:43 AM
Amazing news. SDG can't be far off the contract for life that many have been clamouring for!

DaveF
22-04-2019, 11:45 AM
Great news and well deserved for these 2 Hibernian legends.

The 90+2
22-04-2019, 11:46 AM
Such a perfect day....

Jack Hackett
22-04-2019, 11:48 AM
Been a proper Carlsberg weekend, what with the weather, news and results :flag:

calumhibee1
22-04-2019, 11:51 AM
This is outstanding news. Well done Hibs.

Borderhibbie76
So the next management team, all going according to plan.Sounds like it...fantastic news and great to have the longevity with these 2 absolute legends

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

stuart-farquhar

I'm immediately booking a trip to Bulgaria. Can't wait to be in tears on my balcony.

kaimendhibs
22-04-2019, 11:52 AM
Fantastic news [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

BoomtownHibees
22-04-2019, 11:53 AM

Maybe you should have watched George Craig’s video before posting

banchoryhibs
22-04-2019, 11:53 AM
Superb news, another 2 pieces of the Hibernian Family jigsaw firmly in place.

Galahibby
22-04-2019, 11:54 AM

Read it properly ya radge 😜😘

We done it Dad
22-04-2019, 11:56 AM
Great news.

:flag::flag:

Seveno
22-04-2019, 11:59 AM
Wonderful news. Even just watching them on Sunday it was clear that their playing careers are nowhere near over. To have their leadership, courage and commitment around for four years, in whatever capacity, is a great move by the club.

B.H.F.C
22-04-2019, 12:01 PM
The type of succession planning I really can buy into. I doubt anyone signing those contracts thinks Daz and SDG will be lacing their first team boots up in 4 years but they can still continue to be great asserts to the club for those four years as coaches, mentors or any other suitable roles. Imagine SDG walking up the steps as Cup Winning manager in the future.

Gray might still be looking at playing in 3 or 4 years time as he only turns 31 next month. The four year deal is probably more of a risk for him than it is McGregor IMO. McGregor will be ready to move on to whatever the club have lined up for him in the next couple of years. Gray could potentially not be playing but not ready move on to the next thing either. Suppose only time will tell on that.

Anyway, I won’t complain about guys like this remaining connected to the club. I’ve never thought we’ve been very good at that type of thing.

tamig
22-04-2019, 12:02 PM

Remember that the current structure involves an element of succession planning. This news is the finest example I’ve seen of that being put into practice. Its great news.

NAE NOOKIE
22-04-2019, 12:03 PM

If that's the plan then I certainly don't have any problem with the deals they have been given. No player being coached by SDG, Daz or for that Matter Lewis Stevenson would ever be able to turn round and moan if these guys asked them to give more or try harder .. 3 of the most committed 100% tryers ever to pull on a Hibs shirt :aok:

The Spaceman
22-04-2019, 12:06 PM
Brilliant news! Both are club legends who deserve the utmost respect and that is what Heckingbottom/Leanne have given them.

Sir David is still only 30, so don't see any reason why he doesn't have a whole load of more football left in him (Big Daz is 33, Berra is 34 etc!). Would have been very sad if we were saying goodbye to either of them end of this season, but now we know they will finish their careers at the club they love!

The 90+2
22-04-2019, 12:08 PM
Almost testimonial territory for Sir Dave too.

The 90+2
22-04-2019, 12:08 PM
Brilliant news! Both are club legends who deserve the utmost respect and that is what Heckingbottom/Leanne have given them.

Sir David is still only 30, so don't see any reason why he doesn't have a whole load of more football left in him (Big Daz is 33, Berra is 34 etc!). Would have been very sad if we were saying goodbye to either of them end of this season, but now we know they will finish their careers at the club they love!

Top post.

Baader
22-04-2019, 12:14 PM
Brilliant news. Want guys like this at the club after they hang up the boots. Was reading about Ajax and how so many ex players have roles there, in shaping the youth players and letting them know about the club and the expectations. It's the way to go.

Eyrie
22-04-2019, 12:17 PM
Fantastic news.

Slightly concerned by the four years when I saw the Twitter announcement but it makes more sense on further reading.

Not seen the Craig interview so could someone briefly sum up what he said please?

SteveHFC
22-04-2019, 12:17 PM

hfc rd
22-04-2019, 12:23 PM
Both club legends to finish their careers at Hibs 😊

Allant1981
22-04-2019, 12:23 PM
Certainly looks like the club have earmarked them as future coaches/head coaches. They both came over very well in the interview. Glad to have them at the club long term

Bostonhibby
22-04-2019, 12:25 PM
Seriously good news for the club and the fans. Two leaders on the pitch and Key influences at Easter Road.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Crab apple
22-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Brilliant news. Leaders.

Glory Lurker
22-04-2019, 12:38 PM
Immense! I was having a fine day as it was, but this news has made it great!

MyJo
22-04-2019, 12:39 PM
I would imagine the contracts are structured in a way to provide them with a base salary and then appearance and performance bonuses so that they are still paid appropriately while members of the first team squad but can be retained for ambassador or coaching roles within the club if and when they decide to stop playing.

Either way it’s a great piece of business for us. Our first choice back 4 are under long term contracts while younger guys like Porteous and Mackie are making the breakthrough into the first team squad behind them. Means there is minimal work to be done in the summer in this area of the pitch and gives Hecky a solid base from which to build his team.

mayo hibee
22-04-2019, 12:46 PM
I have to admit that when I saw it flash up on the SSN ticker as four year deals for both my initial reaction was very much WTF. But it makes a lot more sense when you read into it and watch the YouTube interviews with the players and George Craig.

Reading between the lines it sounds like the thinking is that it's along the lines of a two years plus two years contract they have signed, with flexibility for them to go on playing for longer than two years or finish sooner depending on their performance and fitness levels.

After that they will work at academy level for the rest of their contracts with a view to maybe joining the first team staff longer term.

It's out of the box thinking but overall I think an excellent piece of business for both the club and the two players.

Speedway
22-04-2019, 01:04 PM
For anyone who hasn’t seen the GC interview and according to my understanding the four years are:

2 x First team player deals
1 x Player Mentor and Club Ambassador deal
1 x Coaching deal

The wages for being a player mentor will obviously be different to a first teamed but as SDG said it gives him security and answer the question of what he does after the playing career is over.

Heck now knows he’s got two years to prepare a first choice RB and RCB for his team.

Actual, literal succession planning.

Not a first in Scotland but very encouraging and forward thinking nevertheless.

jax67
22-04-2019, 01:11 PM
Fantastic news!! Two great leaders and role models.
Great stuff Hibs.👍

MurrayfieldHibs
22-04-2019, 01:13 PM
Excellent news. Two leaders being developed as future coaches/managers.:top marks

Proper, professional management of this football club.:thumbsup:

:hibees

calumhibee1
22-04-2019, 01:16 PM
4 years?! Ridiculous. Should be for life!

green day
22-04-2019, 01:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJHOPO3wDAA

Daz and SDG interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA6jTUegPS8

George Craig interview

Vault Boy
22-04-2019, 01:24 PM
Superb news and an excellent idea for continuity purposes.

Two complete and utter legends, as well as great footballers for us. Well deserved.

cabbageandribs1875
22-04-2019, 01:28 PM
great news for all concerned :flag:

wallpaperman
22-04-2019, 01:48 PM
Fantastic for both players, gives them a lot of security knowing they can earn a good living for the next 4 years, especially Darren who has not been a full time player throughout his career.

Greenbeard
22-04-2019, 01:54 PM
Listen to the full interview with George Craig and you’ll understand the 4 years and it makes perfect sense to me

Exactly. For those who have knee-jerked to the four year contract, be aware that per GC's interview the expectation is two years still first team squad, but with formalised add-on roles written into their contracts as player mentor and club ambassador (roles they have been doing informally), with the former being their transition into coaching within the Academy. All make sense.

22-04-2019, 02:13 PM
Absolutely tremendous news.

Appreciate there are only so many you could have on these type of deals but would love to see similar deals for Lewis and Hanlon when their renewals fall due in 2/3 years time.

LithgaeHibby
22-04-2019, 02:28 PM
So utterly delighted about this. Two of my favourite players. Their leadership and drive has been a big factor behind our good run. They both have a lot more to give. Big Daz is a rock and I love watching SDG getting to the bye line and putting low crosses in.

CMurdoch
22-04-2019, 02:39 PM
Poor Marvin B will be feeling a bit isolated.
The only non loan guy who is leaving now.

Col2
22-04-2019, 02:41 PM
Delighted. Two absolute leaders on and off the pitch. Ultimate professionals and the heart beat of our club.

JohnMcM
22-04-2019, 02:48 PM
Happy Hibee here.:greengrin

jeffers
22-04-2019, 02:49 PM
Brilliant news, another reason why I am delighted NL is no longer at the club.

Hibs90
22-04-2019, 02:54 PM
Have to admit, I thought McGregor in particular was nearing retirement. However last few games he has been superb and hardly put a foot wrong. Gray should be here until he is 95.

Archie70
22-04-2019, 02:59 PM
One day we will look back at yesterday's back four and realise just how lucky we are to have such a solid professional line up. They are each as good as as we could ever afford, all model professionals and would all run through a brick wall for the team. I can't remember a time we had a defence that all appeared happy to be there and with a genuine love for the club...

The Fantastic Four

Jim44
22-04-2019, 03:01 PM
Great news on the back of these two threads. :top marks

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?339157-Big-Daz

https://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?339138-David-Gray

The Harp
22-04-2019, 03:07 PM
Absolutely delighted with this news. Two of the best servants the Club has had and role models for the young players coming through. Great bit of business, well done Hibs.

Borderhibbie76
22-04-2019, 03:14 PM
One day we will look back at yesterday's back four and realise just how lucky we are to have such a solid professional line up. They are each as good as as we could ever afford, all model professionals and would all run through a brick wall for the team. I can't remember a time we had a defence that all appeared happy to be there and with a genuine love for the club...

The Fantastic FourSure is...they are all legends who just put everything on the line for Hibs every time they cross the white line...legends every one of them

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

CockneyRebel
22-04-2019, 03:22 PM
Have to admit, I thought McGregor in particular was nearing retirement. However last few games he has been superb and hardly put a foot wrong. Gray should be here until he is 95.

Me too, have to say I thought injuries/age had caught up with him - so chuffed to have been proved wrong.

Scouse Hibee
22-04-2019, 04:20 PM
The headline of four year deals does seem ridiculous given their ages and injury woes. However when you read more about it and realise it has a air of succession planning to it along with other roles then it seems okay. Giving them both playing contracts for four years each would be madness in my option and not in the interests of the club long term. Gladly this seems to be something else.

SquashedFrogg
22-04-2019, 04:55 PM

The Fantastic Four

Great post. So true.

Northernhibee
22-04-2019, 05:01 PM

The Fantastic Four

Yep. Absolutely love them all. Even though their new contracts will take them to nine years at the club SDG and Daz need a testimonial. One of our best ever back lines.

barcahibs
22-04-2019, 05:06 PM
It might be one of the (many) reasons why I should never be part of any 'fan owner' scenarios, but - should he want it - I would have SDG employed by the club in some capacity for the rest of his life.

bigwheel
22-04-2019, 05:09 PM
Great to see the club keep some genuine Hibs Legends at the club for the rest of their career (and beyond)! [emoji119]

hibbyfraelibby
22-04-2019, 05:15 PM
4 years means they'll move into coaching positions I'm assuming.

No problem with that at all.

Well deserved.

Succession planning in the SPFL? Well I never...

heidtheba
22-04-2019, 05:18 PM
Delighted about this - hopefully this 'steel' that we have around the place will continue on through them even when they aren't playing.
I do hope their transition from playing to coaching/behind the scenes is managed carefully, ideally so that we're left wishing they'd play 'just one more game', rather than 'he's finished, what a liability'. I hope that is carefully managed and I hope their reputations through what they've done for us are always remembered.
Great move by the club. I know there were always rumours about SDG to Hearts at somepoint, thank God we won't have to listen to those again!

beensaidbefore
22-04-2019, 05:39 PM
Great ambition shown by the club.
Hopefully this provides the continuity we need to maintain the good feeling in the club since the cup win. So pleased with this news.

J-C
22-04-2019, 05:49 PM
4 year deals does seem a lot but in one of Leeann's interviews she did say that they would have a job for life if it was up to her, their importance to the club was that great. I can see them guiding the younger players in the future years as either coaches or management of the club, the same will also happen with Hanlon and Stevenson when their contract are due up.

Jack Hackett
22-04-2019, 07:11 PM
Hang on... Wasn't Sir David on his way to hertz?

A ha! :faf:

A hahaha! :faf::faf::faf:

A hahahahahaha! :faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

:lolyam:

JoeT_WasTheBest
22-04-2019, 07:39 PM
Delighted with this news. I was the one who asked Lennon at the AGM about new contracts for Sir David and given his reply emphasising the ‘Sir David’ and talking about him having to play more games, I can’t help thinking that he wasn’t happy with the adulation and his appearance record. I might be reading too much into things, but I’m not sure these deals would have been as straightforward without the change of management.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SJNB Hibby
22-04-2019, 08:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJHOPO3wDAA

Daz and SDG interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA6jTUegPS8

George Craig interview

Was that SDG leaving the building behind GC at 11:12 in??

highland hibbee
22-04-2019, 08:36 PM

Brilliant, and looking into the future too.
well done Miss D. !

SquashedFrogg
22-04-2019, 09:42 PM
Delighted with this news. I was the one who asked Lennon at the AGM about new contracts for Sir David and given his reply emphasising the ‘Sir David’ and talking about him having to play more games, I can’t help thinking that he wasn’t happy with the adulation and his appearance record. I might be reading too much into things, but I’m not sure these deals would have been as straightforward without the change of management.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not reading into too much at all. Lennon couldn't handle the hierarchy having such a close link to many of the players.

So glad we've moved on. Club feels like it did when Stubbs was here - connected and happy.

Tug Wilson
22-04-2019, 09:44 PM
Not reading into too much at all. Lennon couldn't handle the hierarchy having such a close link to many of the players.

So glad we've moved on. Club feels like it did when Stubbs was here - connected and happy.

This.

AgentDaleCooper
22-04-2019, 10:01 PM
imagine if SDG manages to stay fit for the next 5 seasons, and gets a one year extension for a final year, culminating in a testimonial...that would be a party for the ages.

:flag::flag::flag:

Waxy
23-04-2019, 07:43 AM
Well deserved and good to see.