PDA

View Full Version : Ollie Shaw new Steven fletcher?

familyman
22-04-2019, 05:53 AM
Watching Ollie again on Sunday you can see he is far from the finished article, he reminded me of a young Fletcher lacking strength and falling down a lot.Talented yes but really needs to work on the weights as Fletcher obviously did..so much so he became a real top player.Ollie I believe can achieve that but perhaps needs out on loan just now .It is hard for young players to go straight in like yesterday and it can have negative effect on them especially when they pass up basic opportunities which can be far between..so lets see Ollie develop he can do that I feel sure.He needs encouragement not abuse.

Golden Bear
22-04-2019, 06:22 AM
Watching Ollie again on Sunday you can see he is far from the finished article, he reminded me of a young Fletcher lacking strength and falling down a lot.Talented yes but really needs to work on the weights as Fletcher obviously did..so much so he became a real top player.Ollie I believe can achieve that but perhaps needs out on loan just now .It is hard for young players to go straight in like yesterday and it can have negative effect on them especially when they pass up basic opportunities which can be far between..so lets see Ollie develop he can do that I feel sure.He needs encouragement not abuse.

I agree with your last sentence. The lad has bulked up since last season but he seems to be lacking in self confidence. It must be difficult to come off the bench with limited time to prove yourself and the early chance that came his way yesterday was proof of that. He must be disappointed with his career progression this season but hopefully he'll still be given time to prove to the Manager that he merits a regular starting place.

Since452
22-04-2019, 06:46 AM
Shaw isn't in the same class as Fletcher for me. Fletcher went for millions and played EPL football. Very good player. He had the benefit of doing it under the radar behind Riordan and Gaz O to be fair. If we'd signed Shaw he'd be getting pelters. He gets a lot of leeway with coming through the development squad but he's a first team squad player now and i just don't think he's good enough. I'd love him to prove me wrong.

bigwheel
22-04-2019, 06:53 AM
Fletch was 17 when he broke into the team...By the time he was 21 (Oli's age)..he was our top striker. Celtic and others were looking at him.... he was also fast and powerful ...Oli is quite a different player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just Jimmy
22-04-2019, 06:56 AM
should have scored and completely messed up another.

he's not (yet at least) good enough sadly.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
22-04-2019, 07:03 AM
Not in the same league as Fletch for me sorry. I dont think Ollie will be near the first team next term probably out on loan somewhere for the season. Was a huge mistake by Lennon not to sign another experienced striker and weve relied far too heavily on Ollie this season and I really dont think hes the required level for a top 6 team...sorry.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mayo hibee
22-04-2019, 07:04 AM
I think Shaw has a long way to go just to make it at Hibs, never mind achieve the relative success that Fletcher has had in his career.

A loan move to a team like Livi or Hamilton could be good for him next season (obviously with a clause that he can't play against Hibs). Would give him a chance to prove that he's a SPL standard player. I just can't see us being able to give him the game time he needs in the short term to kick on.

Biggie
22-04-2019, 07:07 AM
Goodness knows what he does in training, but he needs to work on his 2 footedness.....seemed determined to get that chance on his right foot, and the chance was gone

Smartie
22-04-2019, 07:09 AM
The last couple of times I've seen him he's been hopeless, miles below the required quality.

Previously I thought he needed to go out on loan, and the stuff he's been worst at (decision making, finishing, game awareness, passing the ball straight to opposition players) might improve after playing every week at a decent level.

The more I see of him though, the more I think he's simply not good enough and never will be.

We can't afford sentiment here. A solid striker goes on yesterday and takes one of those chances, we win the game.

He's not even close to the level Fletcher was at 21. Nowhere near.

JimBHibees
22-04-2019, 07:12 AM
Like Oli but he will be disappointed with the first opportunity he had should have got shot away. Did well to get effort in when Bain saved well near the end. Think he will score in the derby.

matty_f
22-04-2019, 07:17 AM
He's playing just now like he's totally lost confidence. We've seen that he can play at this level but at the moment he looks like he's terrified to get the ball, and when he does get it he's not working on instinct, he's overthinking and making a mess of things.

I think a good pre-season and a couple of goals in friendlies will help him get back on track.

Nicho87
22-04-2019, 07:32 AM
He is nowhere near a starting position. I’d personally send him on loan to a top championship team if they’d take him. Not where we need our strikers to be.

BILLYHIBS
22-04-2019, 07:38 AM
Agree with all of the above but still looked a better option than Flo when he came on certainly more mobile more of a threat and at least trying to get on the end of things in the box

No where near similar to Fletcher

Guys like Riordan, GOC,Griffiths,ORourke,Durie and Baker were all scoring goals for fun at a younger age

Past Managers and the fans have been remarkably patient with Olly Shaw and he has been given more leeway than most - a goal against Hearts would be nice

The clock is still ticking

Besties Debut
22-04-2019, 07:41 AM
I think Shaw is moving into the promising laddie who failed to deliver department. We really need to strengthen up front in the summer

500miles
22-04-2019, 07:53 AM
The first chance he had when he cut back, Omeonga should have been running in to the box for an easy finish. If Ollie had turned and shot, he was shooting in to bodies. For the second one, Bain was already on top of the ball.

WeeRussell
22-04-2019, 07:57 AM
Goodness knows what he does in training, but he needs to work on his 2 footedness.....seemed determined to get that chance on his right foot, and the chance was gone

The earliest opportunity was to hit it with his right foot. Maybe not taking it first time then led to refusing to hit it with his left, but he had the chance to take it with his favourite right.

It’s a shame the second one didn’t go in for him as there’s not a lot else you can do in that position and unfortunately the keeper has got something on it. Bad luck that it happened to the boy who is coming in for a lot of over the top stick from fans, if it had went in it could have really helped him.

mcfly
22-04-2019, 08:27 AM
How long can we wait for him to progress to a first team regular?

Having said that he was no worse than kamberi who was anonymous yesterday.

Omeonga please sign this lad up. He was outstanding - what energy he has. He just gets hibs and I think this lad is great.

Onto the derby

Smartie
22-04-2019, 08:36 AM
The first chance he had when he cut back, Omeonga should have been running in to the box for an easy finish. If Ollie had turned and shot, he was shooting in to bodies. For the second one, Bain was already on top of the ball.

I didn't think he could do any more with the second one - he did well to get to the ball first and it was a good save.

The first one was dreadful. If that was Derek Riordan - even in his first handful of appearances in the first team - then the chance is taken, first time, on his right or left foot and it is hit cleanly.

Riordan sets a high bar, but that is the kind of level we should be looking for our youngsters to be at, especially youngsters with Shaw's scoring record at development level.

You don't get on behind Celtic like that often.

sean04
22-04-2019, 08:45 AM
Surely our top training center and sports science guys will have him bulking up. It's up to him to really push himself tho. Remember McGinn coming back from pre season and he's legs were huge. Ovb pounded the gym

Diclonius
22-04-2019, 08:58 AM
Time is running out for him to make it at his level. He has the quality but not sure if he has the confidence.

Tyler Durden
22-04-2019, 09:03 AM
I didn't think he could do any more with the second one - he did well to get to the ball first and it was a good save.

The first one was dreadful. If that was Derek Riordan - even in his first handful of appearances in the first team - then the chance is taken, first time, on his right or left foot and it is hit cleanly.

Riordan sets a high bar, but that is the kind of level we should be looking for our youngsters to be at, especially youngsters with Shaw's scoring record at development level.

Let’s not forget Riordan had barely (if at all) scored a goal for Hibs at the age Oli is now.

Shaw has one of the best records in the league in terms of goals per minute. Whether he’d maintain that with a run of starts is tough to say. I do think our fans are incredibly harsh on him. He’s a great squad player with potential to develop to a better level. Not sure why people want to chase him out. Hearts, Killie, Aberdeen....their third choice strikers aren’t better than Oli Shaw

Baader
22-04-2019, 09:07 AM
I like Oli but if he can't replace an out of form Kamberi that's a worry.

Fletch, by comparison, had three seasons under his belt and was our main striker at a younger age than Oli is right now. He'd also scored two goals in a Cup Final.

PatHead
22-04-2019, 09:08 AM
Wonder if we should loan him out to a lesser Premiership club rather than championship. Sure the likes of Livingston, Motherwell or Hearts would be interested.

Bangkok Hibby
22-04-2019, 09:13 AM
Let’s not forget Riordan had barely (if at all) scored a goal for Hibs at the age Oli is now.

Shaw has one of the best records in the league in terms of goals per minute. Whether he’d maintain that with a run of starts is tough to say. I do think our fans are incredibly harsh on him. He’s a great squad player with potential to develop to a better level. Not sure why people want to chase him out. Hearts, Killie, Aberdeen....their third choice strikers aren’t better than Oli Shaw

Harsh indeed. He needs first team starts. Build confidence then fully develop into the goal scoring asset he will surely be.

The 90+2
22-04-2019, 09:18 AM
Get him down to QoS in the summer on Loan. We will bring in another striker for definite probably two.

500miles
22-04-2019, 09:32 AM

He should have hit the first chance first time, correct, but Bain was well positioned and, if Omeonga had made the run Shaw was expecting, he would have had the easiest chance at a great angle. It's not some mad howler of an opportunity, because the Celtic players have 2 defenders and the keeper between him and the goal as soon as he takes his touch.

Allant1981
22-04-2019, 09:43 AM
He isn't as bad as a lot make out on here but he isn't as good as Leeann Dempster made out either, he is a decent up and coming striker but not one who is good enough at this moment for a team who want to be pushing for Europe each season. If he stays at hibs his progression will stall I think, as he isn't going to get as much game time as he needs to get any better

Swedish hibee
22-04-2019, 10:45 AM
Oli is not good enough. Sadly.

Since452
22-04-2019, 10:54 AM
Wonder if we should loan him out to a lesser Premiership club rather than championship. Sure the likes of Livingston, Motherwell or Hearts would be interested.

Think the regular game time at Hearts would do him good tbh

Smartie
22-04-2019, 11:06 AM
He should have hit the first chance first time, correct, but Bain was well positioned and, if Omeonga had made the run Shaw was expecting, he would have had the easiest chance at a great angle. It's not some mad howler of an opportunity, because the Celtic players have 2 defenders and the keeper between him and the goal as soon as he takes his touch.

If he hits a clean, early strike off a well-positioned goalkeeper for the first then you can't be too critical. He's done the right thing, executed it well and been unlucky - a bit like the second.

As it happens he made a pig's ear of it, and the dally on the ball/ pass it straight to an opposition player combo is something he has been guilty of more than once in recent weeks.

Billy Whizz
22-04-2019, 11:22 AM
Oli got into more scoring positions, more than our other 2 forwards did in the entire 90 mins

Eyrie
22-04-2019, 12:08 PM
Think the regular game time at Hearts would do him good tbh

If Shaw is sent out on loan then it should be somewhere that the style of football suits his game.

I'd keep him, because he's good enough to be the third striker at Hibs and still has time to improve. That said, I want to see the improvement over the course of next season.

Smartie
22-04-2019, 12:13 PM
If Shaw is sent out on loan then it should be somewhere that the style of football suits his game.

I'd keep him, because he's good enough to be the third striker at Hibs and still has time to improve. That said, I want to see the improvement over the course of next season.

He needs to be playing every week and I don't think he's at the required level to do that for us yet.

The "rough edges" he has need to be polished out through experience.

We can play him up front every week and finish in the bottom 3 of our league, we can stunt his development by giving him 10, 20 minutes here or there or he can go out and get what he needs before hopefully returning a better player.

hibbysam
22-04-2019, 12:15 PM
Fletch was one of the most technically gifted players I’ve seen, could score from anywhere, and was outstanding in the air. He was in the first team at a very young age and by the time he was Shaw’s age he had already scored twice in a national cup final and was our main man, on the verge of a huge move down south.

Shaw is probably a good finisher, although he should be making more of the chances he got yesterday. But he has a long long way to go before he can be mentioned beside Fletch, even on potential.

Ronniekirk
22-04-2019, 12:39 PM
Reds more game time as recent sub appearances have seen him imo look rusty and at first team level not progress Started Season well and played well away via St Mirren after Lennon left
Proven scorer at Development Level and has shown he can score for first team
Looks a little short of confidence which can only be down to not getting enough game time I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heisenberg
22-04-2019, 12:42 PM
Oli got into more scoring positions, more than our other 2 forwards did in the entire 90 mins

But fluffed his chances when he got there...

Solonleith1
22-04-2019, 01:51 PM
Fletcher on a different level for me I'm afraid. It's a big couple of years for Oli. Shows the undoubted talent he has in flashes but just hasn't done it enough at first team level yet. To be fair a lot of that has been down to who we've been able to attract either permanent or on loan the last couple of seasons up front, meaning he has invariably appeared off the bench. Needs to improve on his consistency/finishing to complement his good movement off the ball if he is to make it, otherwise can see a move within the next couple of years. As others have said Fletcher was already well established at this point and had English prem clubs sniffing around. Not a criticism of Oli but probably unfair to comlare the two too much imo.

ancient hibee
22-04-2019, 03:32 PM
As Shaw said in an interview he like Kamberi is trying to play a different position for the manager out wide and supporting the defence.It won’t be easy.Someone posted that Fletcher was technically gifted.My memory is of him missing many chances because he couldn’t kick the ball wih his right foot.

B.H.F.C
22-04-2019, 03:50 PM
No comparison between the two. By the time Fletcher was Shaw’s age he’d played 150 times for us, scored in a cup final and had teams wanting to pay millions for him.

Shaw has actually chipped in with a few important goas now and again but unless something dramatic happens to him in the summer he’s not going to be a regular next year. And if he’s not a regular, he won’t improve beyond what he is now. He needs to play, whether it’s for us or someone else if he wants to progress and have a good career.

The Baldmans Comb
22-04-2019, 09:26 PM
Ollie Shaw v Steven Fletcher is beyond parody.

Shaw v Sam Morrow is more comparable and the clock is ticking.

Hibeesmad
22-04-2019, 09:35 PM
Get him out on loan to somebody like St Mirren or Ross County next season, if he can get minutes and goals there then it will set him up nicely for further development with us

MWHIBBIES
22-04-2019, 09:57 PM
I don't think there is a stupider argument on here than the "Shaw's time is running out" or "the clock is ticking" patter.

I'm quite happy if Shaw didn't improve one bit and stays as a 3rd choice striker who chips in with around 10 goals a season. Why is that so bad? Not ever striker we produce will be Riordan or Fletcher.

That won't happen though as he's made clear improvement from last year and will continue to do so. Bit too much football manager being played by some on here where all youngsters are world class at 22 or they'll never make it. In reality the journey is quite different. Isn't one single reason not to keep Shaw at the club and keep helping him. He's shown more than enough to suggest he can contribute.

Darren McGregor saying he was working retail at 24 and folk think Shaw's time is running out at 21, I mean FFS :faf:

BILLYHIBS
22-04-2019, 10:16 PM
I don't think there is a stupider argument on here than the "Shaw's time is running out" or "the clock is ticking" patter.

I'm quite happy if Shaw didn't improve one bit and stays as a 3rd choice striker who chips in with around 10 goals a season. Why is that so bad? Not ever striker we produce will be Riordan or Fletcher.

That won't happen though as he's made clear improvement from last year and will continue to do so. Bit too much football manager being played by some on here where all youngsters are world class at 22 or they'll never make it. In reality the journey is quite different. Isn't one single reason not to keep Shaw at the club and keep helping him. He's shown more than enough to suggest he can contribute.

Darren McGregor saying he was working retail at 24 and folk think Shaw's time is running out at 21, I mean FFS :faf:

Dont know where you are getting your 10 goals a season patter from

Last season 21 appearances 15 as a sub 5 goals

This season 33 appearances 18 as a sub 7 goals

The boy is a talent but we cannot wait forever

He does not seem to have improved at the same level as say Porteous

We all want him to succeed but it is starting to look more and more unlikely

A goal against Hearts would be nice

The clock is ticking

MWHIBBIES
22-04-2019, 10:19 PM

The clock is ticking

7 goals in how many starts? Solid for a 3rd choice striker. Aberdeen one only one that hasn't earned us points. Few assists as well no doubt, including for Slivkas goal against Celtic. 18 months since his debut, we've certainly been waiting forever indeed. Clock isn't ticking at all.

Mibbes Aye
22-04-2019, 10:26 PM

Good post.

I'm also loving the revisionism on here - Fletcher was a constant thread about not being good enough and being too one-footed to make a career. His goal record at Hibs, while good, was seen as not good enough by a number of posters. Ten years on, a succession of moves around the EPL and Championship and I guess, maybe he just was actually good enough...

Tornadoes70
22-04-2019, 10:29 PM
Ollie Shaw v Steven Fletcher is beyond parody.

Shaw v Sam Morrow is more comparable and the clock is ticking.

Ollie's a quality striker and we're (not sure if that includes you or not) all behind him in his development.

I see more in Ollie now than I did with Steven back in his early days but Steven went on to prove his undoubted quality just as Ollie will. no doubt whatsoever.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

BILLYHIBS
22-04-2019, 10:32 PM
7 goals in how many starts? Solid for a 3rd choice striker. Aberdeen one only one that hasn't earned us points. Few assists as well no doubt, including for Slivkas goal against Celtic. 18 months since his debut, we've certainly been waiting forever indeed. Clock isn't ticking at all.

Made his debut 1/8/2015 versus Montrose

It is now almost the end of another season

We approach 2019/20

Do not get me wrong I have praised Olly on another thread for the mobility and energy he showed on Sunday and the fact he was getting on the end of things in the box but had no luck I also understand your point of view but he really needs to start producing what he is doing with the Development Squad at our level after all he is a first team squad member and it looks to me as though PH is hedging his bets by playing Flo out left and Olly in the same position with the Development Squad and I do not think it should be too hard to dislodge Flo in his current form

A goal on Sunday for Olly would do him the world of good and a HIBS win as well of course :greengrin

HappyAsHellas
22-04-2019, 10:40 PM
We're moaning about a third choice young striker trying to make his way in the game and although not brilliant this season, he's scored more goals than Hearts 2 top strikers. Can't be that bad then eh?

BILLYHIBS
22-04-2019, 10:47 PM
We're moaning about a third choice young striker trying to make his way in the game and although not brilliant this season, he's scored more goals than Hearts 2 top strikers. Can't be that bad then eh?

FFS!

Good point

Naismith 10

Haring 5

They won the league in September :confused:

Mibbes Aye
22-04-2019, 10:48 PM

The clock is ticking

Or 5 goals from 6 starts and 7 goals from 15 starts?

Shaw's progress will obviously be different from Porteous. Ryan goes into a defensive formation that is relatively settled - he has some combination of Gray, Stevenson, Hanlon or McGregor helping him out.

Shaw is being asked to play different positions alongside a range of colleagues and is generally going to sub rather than start, as thing stand. And that's okay.

I really hope he makes it. As I've said before, he looks more capable than any of the bright young striking hopes we have had over the last twenty years. It's a huge step up from dev or reserves or loan to first team. Shaw's goals per game and his general movement and positional play suggest he has got what it takes.

BILLYHIBS
22-04-2019, 10:58 PM
Or 5 goals from 6 starts and 7 goals from 15 starts?

Shaw's progress will obviously be different from Porteous. Ryan goes into a defensive formation that is relatively settled - he has some combination of Gray, Stevenson, Hanlon or McGregor helping him out.

Shaw is being asked to play different positions alongside a range of colleagues and is generally going to sub rather than start, as thing stand. And that's okay.

I really hope he makes it. As I've said before, he looks more capable than any of the bright young striking hopes we have had over the last twenty years. It's a huge step up from dev or reserves or loan to first team. Shaw's goals per game and his general movement and positional play suggest he has got what it takes.

Agree to a certain extent

To me he has stood still from last year

Keeps giving the ball away to opponents in advanced positions

Seems to lack confidence at times

Link up play has improved and is not as easily brushed off the ball but needs to improve and keep working on his upper body strength

I like every HIBS fan want him to succeed

He has been given more leeway and benefit of the doubt than any HIBS player I know or can remember and I have been watching HIBS for fifty plus years

Cmon Olly you can do it!

Mibbes Aye
22-04-2019, 11:38 PM
Agree to a certain extent

To me he has stood still from last year

Keeps giving the ball away to opponents in advanced positions

Seems to lack confidence at times

Link up play has improved and is not as easily brushed off the ball but needs to improve and keep working on his upper body strength

I like every HIBS fan want him to succeed

He has been given more leeway and benefit of the doubt than any HIBS player I know or can remember and I have been watching HIBS for fifty plus years

Cmon Olly you can do it!

I'm not convinced of that but I think you have come up with a good thread idea in its own right :greengrin

I feel we both want Oli to do well and hopefully he gets the opportunities. I've got faith in him.

BILLYHIBS
22-04-2019, 11:45 PM
I'm not convinced of that but I think you have come up with a good thread idea in its own right :greengrin

I feel we both want Oli to do well and hopefully he gets the opportunities. I've got faith in him.

It is a credit to the Management the Training Staff and the fans that they have faith in our Academy our Developlent Squad and as a Football Club of course we want him to do well.

Cmon Olly!

Phil MaGlass
23-04-2019, 09:39 AM
Shaw will come good, give him a run of games now against the top sides to boost his confidence and experience. There´s a striker there, absolutely.
However he does not compare to Fletcher (at the moment)

Steve-O
24-04-2019, 01:08 AM
If you look at Fletcher's stats, they actually aren't that overwhelming brilliant, nor does his goalscoring really pick up until he's around 20-21, i.e. the same age as Shaw is now.

Riordan very similar too.

Kenny Miller another one who didn't really hit his stride until 20/21 after 2-3 years around the fringes. I remember thinking he looked absolutely awful when he first got a game, a wee laddie running about like a headless chicken! Did alright for himself in the end...

Some selective memories on this thread I think. Shaw has to improve no doubt, however I think the above examples show that there is in fact quite a good chance he can and will do so.

bigwheel
24-04-2019, 07:15 AM
If you look at Fletcher's stats, they actually aren't that overwhelming brilliant, nor does his goalscoring really pick up until he's around 20-21, i.e. the same age as Shaw is now.

Kenny Miller another one who didn't really hit his stride until 20/21 after 2-3 years around the fringes. I remember thinking he looked absolutely awful when he first got a game, a wee laddie running about like a headless chicken! Did alright for himself in the end...

Some selective memories on this thread I think. Shaw has to improve no doubt, however I think the above examples show that there is in fact quite a good chance he can and will do so.

At 20-21 Fletcher was our top striker...never been at out and out goal scorer but was head and shoulders our best forward ..at times in his last season with us, he was almost unstoppable...Shaw is a more natural scorer I would say, but as yet, nowhere near the levels fletcher was at at same age

blackpoolhibs
24-04-2019, 07:25 AM
If we can get £4m plus when we sell Shaw, i will be delighted but truly amazed.

BILLYHIBS
24-04-2019, 07:33 AM
If we can get £4m plus when we sell Shaw, i will be delighted but truly amazed.

He can go now for 2m :greengrin

jacomo
24-04-2019, 07:39 AM

Nothing to do with selective memories.

Fletcher was in the first team squad at 17, a regular by 18 albeit on the wing, as he wasn’t yet commanding enough for the CF role.

At Shaw’s age he had scored 2 in a cup final in an utterly dominant performance.

The guy was a cut above - as evidenced by the transfer fees and wages he has attracted.

If he had a right foot he could have been the best striker Scotland have produced for 30 years.

wookie70
24-04-2019, 08:26 AM
He gets into scoring positions better than most of the Hibs strikers I have watched over the decades. He started off as an excellent finisher but that has deserted him and he looks like he needs a goal. Heck looks like the sort of manager who develops players and I think Oli will be a good player for us given that support.

Squealing pig
24-04-2019, 08:28 AM
Sure hearts would jump at the chance of shaw with the 💩 they have up front