PDA

View Full Version : Can we start hating Lennon again

Berwickhibby
21-04-2019, 04:36 PM
His behaviour at trying to get Mallan sent off was cringeworthy...... all my goodwill towards him has evaporated

AugustaHibs
21-04-2019, 04:37 PM
Aye, can’t stand him. Let’s be totally honest, the guy is useless tactically

Northernhibee
21-04-2019, 04:38 PM
Way ahead of you :greengrin:greengrin:flag:

Sir David Gray
21-04-2019, 04:44 PM
Disappointing behaviour from him today.

MWHIBBIES
21-04-2019, 04:45 PM
Moment he left I did.

blaikie
21-04-2019, 04:47 PM
I liked him when he was our ****er ...... he’s now their ****er so ...... yes

Pretty Boy
21-04-2019, 04:49 PM
I liked Lennon when he was at Hibs and appreciate the job he did. The idea he was irreplaceable was nonsense though and thus far it's proving that way. Celtic look to have regressed under him as well and it was interesting to note his radio interview had all the usual suspects in it: players not working hard enough, players should be scoring, players not being aggressive enough.......

He's moved on, Hibs have moved on and it's time we moved on too. Yesterday's man.

Bangkok Hibby
21-04-2019, 04:52 PM
I'm sure I described him as a tosser but our tosser or words to that effect. Now he's just a little greeting faced ****er

B.H.F.C
21-04-2019, 04:53 PM

Did he gesture to the crowd or something at one point? I sit in the east but remember the west, around the dugout, no being happy at one point.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-04-2019, 04:58 PM
Yes! Carry on...

Nakedmanoncrack
Dont hate him, but glad he's no longer our manager. Good luck to him in the cup final.

Albanian Hibs
As long as they beat hertz

Sir David Gray
21-04-2019, 04:59 PM
Did he gesture to the crowd or something at one point? I sit in the east but remember the west, around the dugout, no being happy at one point.

No idea about that, I was just referring to his behaviour that undoubtedly lead to Mallan's booking. I don't believe the referee had any intention to book him until Lennon started jumping up and down and screaming for a card.

calumhibee1
21-04-2019, 04:59 PM

Noticed that aswell. No idea what happened though.

Borderhibbie76
21-04-2019, 05:05 PM
His behaviour at the Mallan incident was cringeworthy and showed a complete lack of respect for his former employers...utter welt and glad hes gone tbh.

He better get it right in the Cup Final tho

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Since452
21-04-2019, 05:06 PM
He's slipped back into the dislikeable, petulant Celtic manager role very nicely. I'm tired of hearing his voice.

Brightside
21-04-2019, 05:08 PM
His behaviour at trying to get Mallan sent off was cringeworthy...... all my goodwill towards him has evaporated

correct big Daz made it clear. lennon always about lennon.

iwasthere1972
21-04-2019, 05:09 PM
Who?

B.H.F.C
21-04-2019, 05:10 PM
No idea about that, I was just referring to his behaviour that undoubtedly lead to Mallan's booking. I don't believe the referee had any intention to book him until Lennon started jumping up and down and screaming for a card.

I thought Lustig rolling about like he’d been shot had more to do with that one.

DaveF
21-04-2019, 05:10 PM
Yes. He's a fud. A celtc one.

21-04-2019, 05:13 PM
A total ****

BoomtownHibees
**** um

kaimendhibs
Said today, can barely believe he was our manager.
Utter knob

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Eyrie
21-04-2019, 05:19 PM
We'd have loved him for doing that as our manager, so it didn't bother me. It was Lustig's play acting that conned the ref.

I liked him when he was our ****er ...... he’s now their ****er so ...... yes
Perfectly stated.

Radium
21-04-2019, 05:20 PM
https://youtu.be/600SgSSeusA

Lennon post match. (Celtic TV) Very similar to many this season, particularly the bit about players not taking stuff onboard.

Enjoyed the second half of last season but now convinced more than ever that he moved on at the right time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supermcginn
21-04-2019, 05:22 PM
Can't stand him. Him and ceptic are well suited.

givescotlandfreedom
21-04-2019, 05:24 PM
Set out a shameless side of cheats. Total throbber

InchHibby
21-04-2019, 05:29 PM
He was an utter knob today, tried to get Mallan sent off, complained about every decision that even rightly went against them, and now it’s time to blame everyone Bar himself.
Glad he’s gone and we all know he worked his ticket to go, well I do anyway.

Keith_M
21-04-2019, 05:32 PM

Not that I noticed. most were annoyed at his behaviour at the Mallan booking

I think I prefer Hecky.

On another note; How biased was that Ref today? Bl**dy disgrace.

Argylehibby
21-04-2019, 05:33 PM
I thought Lustig rolling about like he’d been shot had more to do with that one.

It was the combination I reckon but I have to say Lusigs recovery from a career ending injury was astonishing. When it's a clear as that the intention was to get an opponent in trouble then there should be some punishment to the player concerned.

Johnny Clash
21-04-2019, 05:38 PM
He was very friendly with Hibs bench before the game and tv footage shows him saying something to Mallan and Mallan was just laughing. I would like to think he said that he’s got a beamer at Lustig’s pathetic play acting.

Anyway he’s a Celtic manager so he’s obviously 100% committed to that ... just like Gerrard is at the Paris Buns. What do folk expect ? Why get knickers in a twist ... Hecky’s at our wheel so why even bother about ex managers.

Bostonhibby
21-04-2019, 05:39 PM
Count me in, and I was right at the front of the thread welcoming him as I'd a mutual friend and had good experiences but in football terms I've seen the light. Celtc stuttering since Brenda left

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

JXM73
21-04-2019, 05:44 PM
Never stopped...

lyonhibs
21-04-2019, 05:46 PM
Whether one loves or despises Lennon is purely down to whether he's wearing your colours or not. Ergo, he can now royally do one.

Famous Fiver
21-04-2019, 05:48 PM
Didn't come over as particularly classy or mature today.

Seemed to get a free card to leave his technical area at will. Complete lack of action from the 4th official.

Wonder if he'll throw his toys out of the pram if he doesn't get the gig?

I really hope he doesn't foul up against the poppy thieves in the Final.

stantonhibby
21-04-2019, 05:50 PM
Don't hate him. Lennon was good for us but happy we have Heck in charge now. He's doing a great job.

wookie70
21-04-2019, 05:52 PM
Whether one loves or despises Lennon is purely down to whether he's wearing your colours or not. Ergo, he can now royally do one.
Never rated him or liked him much 8n Hibs colours. He is a classless victim when in the dug out and often in interviews. He will be out a job in the summer and may struggle to get another gig as good as Hibs

Weegreenman
21-04-2019, 05:55 PM

Today????? He’s been like this his whole career! Horrible little git!!!!!

Hibeesmad
21-04-2019, 06:03 PM
Been told by a few Celtic fans who know Kris Commons quite well that Lennon will be given the job beyond this season. Mentioned on another thread the reasons why I respect him but anyway, I don't think he has lost at Celtic yet since he went in at all competitions, I might be wrong but I think that's the case. Let's hope they beat Hearts next month and the Hibees are going on another European Tour :agree:

AFKA5814_Hibs
21-04-2019, 06:05 PM
Don't hate him. But I now think we have the better manager.

allmodcons
21-04-2019, 06:06 PM
I heard a clip from Leanne Dempster's upcoming interview on Stark Talk (BBC Radio Scotland - Wednesday 13.30hrs) where she talks about Neil Lennon.

The woman has class. Some of the posters on this thread would do well to tune in.

pacoluna
21-04-2019, 06:08 PM
I hate Craig levein and Terry butcher, I certainly don't hate Lennon.. I'm not that fickle.

Hibeesmad
21-04-2019, 06:10 PM
I heard a clip from Leanne Dempster's upcoming interview on Stark Talk (BBC Radio Scotland - Wednesday 13.30hrs) where she talks about Neil Lennon.

The woman has class. Some of the posters on this thread would do well to tune in.

Any link of the clip or could you sum up what was basically said? :aok:

Hibeesmad
21-04-2019, 06:11 PM
I hate Craig levein and Terry butcher, I certainly don't hate Lennon.. I'm not that fickle.

:agree:

allmodcons
21-04-2019, 06:15 PM
Any link of the clip or could you sum up what was basically said? :aok:

It's not on until Wednesday 24th April, was a trailer I heard. Said she had a picture of NL on her desk and respected him for what he'd done during his tenure at our club.

WhileTheChief..
21-04-2019, 06:17 PM
This thread gives Heckingbottom a glimpse into the future.

Hibeesmad
21-04-2019, 06:19 PM
It's not on until Wednesday 24th April, was a trailer I heard. Said she had a picture of NL on her desk and respected him for what he'd done during his tenure at our club.

I will make sure I listen in, thanks for sharing :aok: Always thought he had a mutual respect with the board.

Brightside
21-04-2019, 06:19 PM
Please remember you cannot discuss. Neil Lennons tactics or manners on .net. He’s a good Celtic man that some have lost. 🥃

Waxy
21-04-2019, 06:22 PM
He wont be at Celtic next season anyway.

SRHibs
21-04-2019, 06:23 PM

Heckingbottom is a far more laidback, controlled, and generally likeable character than Lennon. We can’t predict the circumstances of his departure, but I doubt he will be hated when he moves on.

Lennon makes himself easy to dislike by acting like a complete bam.

allmodcons
21-04-2019, 06:24 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0004bfh

CMac1988
21-04-2019, 06:24 PM
https://youtu.be/600SgSSeusA

Lennon post match. (Celtic TV) Very similar to many this season, particularly the bit about players not taking stuff onboard.

Enjoyed the second half of last season but now convinced more than ever that he moved on at the right time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Incredible that he complains that 'we' Celtic, were complacent last year at this stage after getting beat 2-1 by a Hibs team that he managed... Ha.

allmodcons
21-04-2019, 06:26 PM
Heckingbottom is a far more laidback, controlled, and generally likeable character than Lennon. We can’t predict the circumstances of his departure, but I doubt he will be hated when he moves on.

Lennon makes himself easy to dislike by acting like a complete bam.

Or like. The aeroplane?

JohnM1875
21-04-2019, 06:38 PM
Incredible that he complains that 'we' Celtic, were complacent last year at this stage after getting beat 2-1 by a Hibs team that he managed... Ha.

Thought I heard that as well. Utterly bizarre. Hope I'm hearing that wrong.

Saint Hibee
21-04-2019, 06:39 PM
I don’t hate Neil Lennon. I respect him as a person for calling out sectarianism as racism, but I really don’t think he’s a particularly talented football manager. There’s never a plan b if plan a isn’t working.

Hibernia&Alba
21-04-2019, 06:44 PM
Hate is a bit strong, is it not? Lennon did well for us; is departure was all a bit odd, but I don't hate the guy.

Northernhibee
21-04-2019, 06:44 PM

If Hecky starts doing GIRUYs and Waaaaays and the like - sometimes when we are not even winning - or blaming everyone but himself if we lose you may have a point.

Leith Green
21-04-2019, 06:48 PM
Didnt like him before he came to Hibs , liked him at Hibs as manager for 2 years , then my opinion changed a couple of months into this season. I think he is a welt who cannot stop himself acting like a welt , of all the games ud expect him to show some humility then today would be that game.. Tosser...!

Dashing Bob S
21-04-2019, 06:54 PM
This is an exceptionally childish thread. Lennon was great for Hibs, he got us up and re established us as a top 5 club. There’s really not much else he could have done or nowhere else really in the structure of Scottish football to be done here. He’ll now win Celtic the league and preside over some European gubbings by the same rationale. But managers come and go. His departure was only ever going to be a issue if the next manager was a turkey but he isn’t.

bigwheel
21-04-2019, 06:55 PM
threads like these always depress me. Why hate him? He did well for us, now he has moved on. Why hate someone who gave his all for us while he was here? Good luck to the man, but never against us.

Hibernia&Alba
21-04-2019, 06:57 PM
This is an exceptionally childish thread. Lennon was great for Hibs, he got us up and re established us as a top 5 club. There’s really not much else he could have done or nowhere else really in the structure of Scottish football to be done here. He’ll now win Celtic the league and preside over some European gubbings by the same rationale. But managers come and go. His departure was only ever going to be a issue if the next manager was a turkey but he isn’t.

threads like these always depress me. Why hate him? He did well for us, now he has moved on. Why hate someone who gave his all for us while he was here? Good luck to the man, but never against us.
That's my take on it, too.

Borderhibbie76
21-04-2019, 07:29 PM
Been told by a few Celtic fans who know Kris Commons quite well that Lennon will be given the job beyond this season. Mentioned on another thread the reasons why I respect him but anyway, I don't think he has lost at Celtic yet since he went in at all competitions, I might be wrong but I think that's the case. Let's hope they beat Hearts next month and the Hibees are going on another European Tour :agree:Funny as Kris Commons said the polar opposite on Sky post match mate?

Borderhibbie76
21-04-2019, 07:33 PM
This is an exceptionally childish thread. Lennon was great for Hibs, he got us up and re established us as a top 5 club. There’s really not much else he could have done or nowhere else really in the structure of Scottish football to be done here. He’ll now win Celtic the league and preside over some European gubbings by the same rationale. But managers come and go. His departure was only ever going to be a issue if the next manager was a turkey but he isn’t.I get he was good for us and agree but there was far more he could have done at Hibs...like win a major trophy for a start?? But he blew 2 semis at Hampden with dreadful team selections that lost us both matches. He then did the same at Tiny last may when we had a real chance of 2nd. So no..he didn't achieve everything he could have at Hibs. I dont hate him but now hes back there I have a strong dislike for him and tbh I did for most of this season when he was at Hibs too...ever since the toys out the pram moment at Tiny last May

cabbageandribs1875
21-04-2019, 07:39 PM

this :agree:

Brightside
21-04-2019, 07:39 PM

He wort preside over much Euro games. Not a hair the fans will accept him as the next manager.

allmodcons
21-04-2019, 07:42 PM

This.

21-04-2019, 07:56 PM
Lennons an arse. I never ultimately starting liking him.

G B Young
21-04-2019, 08:01 PM
What on earth is there to 'hate' about him??

I never liked him before he came to Hibs, but I learned a lot more about him when he came to Easter Road and came to understand his personality better. I think he's a good bloke who has shouldered a lot of unwarranted abuse and has done much to bring mental health issues into the open.

On the football side I thought his appointment was a real coup and I was thrilled to get him on board. No question he was exactly the right type of guy to have in charge for our first season back in the top flight. He gave a us steely edge and whereas we might have struggled for confidence like Hibs sides in the past had we hit a rocky spell, we actually just got stronger at the business end of the season and ended up with our highest ever points tally.

Yep, things went off the boil for his final couple of months in charge but even if we failed to hit the heights of last season in the league he did give us a memorable European run by today's standards for Scottish clubs.

So thanks Lenny. I thought you were great for Hibs overall and I'm right behind your team for the Scottish Cup final.

Carheenlea
21-04-2019, 08:07 PM
He did well for us over the piece and gave us some great memories, but the last few months pointed towards his time with us entering its final days. Wasn’t a huge fan of him at Celtic, but warmed to him at Hibs and enjoyed having him as manager. His touch line style will always be the same and a more abrasive one to that of Heckingbottom and Stubbs before him. Aimed some abuse at him myself this afternoon but that’s just the nature of being a football fan.

Iggy Pope
21-04-2019, 08:09 PM
He wort preside over much Euro games. Not a hair the fans will accept him as the next manager.

You need to get tighter into that spellcheck. You are giving it a yard of space and it’s making you look sluggish. You are then selling yourself too early. It’s not great to watch so you will have to improve or someone else will be in and they’ll spell better.

Kaff
21-04-2019, 08:10 PM
He was very friendly with Hibs bench before the game and tv footage shows him saying something to Mallan and Mallan was just laughing. I would like to think he said that he’s got a beamer at Lustig’s pathetic play acting.

Anyway he’s a Celtic manager so he’s obviously 100% committed to that ... just like Gerrard is at the Paris Buns. What do folk expect ? Why get knickers in a twist ... Hecky’s at our wheel so why even bother about ex managers.

Although Mallan was laughing my interpretation was lip reading Mallan telling Lennon to 'shut up you f####ng w####r' with the look to match it.
I took that as a good guide to players reaction to him leaving

Brightside
21-04-2019, 08:10 PM
Bluddu I phone. 😂😂 cmon the hibs.

blackpoolhibs
21-04-2019, 08:22 PM
We had a manager who actually had us punching our weight at last for the first time in a long time, and as soon as he drops from that, its time to now hate him. :rolleyes:

I should hate a lot of managers going by this scenario.

One Day
21-04-2019, 08:35 PM

I agree

DavieRoy
21-04-2019, 08:36 PM
After the Mallan incident, someone in the West shouted ‘playing the Lennon way’ and he replied ‘well you would know’. Part banter, part wideo.

Fans give out plenty of stick then are taken a back when it comes the other way. I laughed as he was being a bit ridiculous.

In terms of the wider issue, I loved his team last season, getting some great results and having big crowds at Easter Road most weeks. I don’t dislike him but happy to concentrate on what we do now.

Humo
21-04-2019, 08:40 PM
This is an exceptionally childish thread. Lennon was great for Hibs, he got us up and re established us as a top 5 club. There’s really not much else he could have done or nowhere else really in the structure of Scottish football to be done here. He’ll now win Celtic the league and preside over some European gubbings by the same rationale. But managers come and go. His departure was only ever going to be a issue if the next manager was a turkey but he isn’t.Reestablished us a top 5 club set to finish the season in the bottom 6 in 8th

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

HibeeHibernian4
21-04-2019, 08:41 PM
Some posters on here had him sussed out back in about November. :greengrin

Glad we can put this 'what if' nonsense to bed. I'm verging on certain that we wouldn't have made top 6 under Lennon, given the run that Motherwell went on from January-March.

Speedy
21-04-2019, 08:46 PM
Appreciated the highs and the laughs he gave us but we're doing better without him and he's still the prick he always was. So, aye.

HibeeHibernian4
21-04-2019, 08:48 PM
This is an exceptionally childish thread. Lennon was great for Hibs, he got us up and re established us as a top 5 club. There’s really not much else he could have done or nowhere else really in the structure of Scottish football to be done here.

We must have different definitions of 'established us as a top 5 club', yours appears to mean "did it one season and then had us 8th in January and 13 points off the top 4 the next".

Hibeesmad
21-04-2019, 08:53 PM
Funny as Kris Commons said the polar opposite on Sky post match mate?

Just what I have heard mate, I didn't see what was said on Sky but I don't think he would come out and say that Lenny is getting it on live TV. Things could change but that's just what I've heard.

Stairway 2 7
21-04-2019, 08:54 PM
Some people hate Neil lennon, I don't he's just a ******

Stantons Angel
21-04-2019, 08:56 PM

someone shouted at him telling him his tactics were crap and he very quickly turned around and said "you should know"?

The 90+2
21-04-2019, 09:00 PM
Lennons a ****er. Most the Hibs players know that too. He couldn’t give a fk about Hibs let’s be honest.

Touting himself for the Scotland job while our manager, now at his beloved as a temp it’s something he would never consider 😂

matty_f
21-04-2019, 09:01 PM
Please remember you cannot discuss. Neil Lennons tactics or manners on .net. He’s a good Celtic man that some have lost. 🥃

Yes you can. :agree:

matty_f
21-04-2019, 09:02 PM
After the Mallan incident, someone in the West shouted ‘playing the Lennon way’ and he replied ‘well you would know’. Part banter, part wideo.

Fans give out plenty of stick then are taken a back when it comes the other way. I laughed as he was being a bit ridiculous.

In terms of the wider issue, I loved his team last season, getting some great results and having big crowds at Easter Road most weeks. I don’t dislike him but happy to concentrate on what we do now.

:agree:

The 90+2
21-04-2019, 09:02 PM
someone shouted at him telling him his tactics were crap and he very quickly turned around and said "you should know"?

We should know because this season was brutal until he left. I would love it if he gets the role perm because he’s tactically **** and like my misus completely blameless for everything.

HibeeHibernian4
21-04-2019, 09:03 PM

If Heckingbottom starts behaving like an arse on the touchline, berating his players both publicly/privately and moots quitting after a defeat that he set up badly for, then sure, I'll start a similar thread for him. :aok:

hibsbollah
21-04-2019, 09:04 PM
I don’t hate Neil Lennon. I respect him as a person for calling out sectarianism as racism, but I really don’t think he’s a particularly talented football manager. There’s never a plan b if plan a isn’t working.

:agree: This is it. I could never hate the man who gave us the 5-5 and the aeroplane, but he's limited.

The 90+2
21-04-2019, 09:05 PM
If Heckingbottom starts behaving like an arse on the touchline, berating his players both publicly/privately and moots quitting after a defeat that he set up badly for, then sure, I'll start a similar thread for him. :aok:

You forgot rimming another side in the league while taking personal delight drawing with another after blowing a 3 nil lead because he thought it hinders them. I agree though.

The 90+2
21-04-2019, 09:06 PM
:agree: This is it. I could never hate the man who gave us the 5-5 and the aeroplane, but he's limited.

3 up, the aeroplane was because he thought it stopped the huns getting second too. We blew it badly and it was to wind up them, nothing to do with us. As was the ears at Ibrox.

erin go bragh
21-04-2019, 09:08 PM
I’ll just leave the Lennon hating to the big and wee Huns .
When theFF upper section started singing “Neil Lennon (rhymes with banker ) it was booed down by the majority.
Gave us a few good Europeon nights .

ancient hibee
21-04-2019, 09:09 PM
In my opinion anyone who hates somebody over football should speak to their teacher who can arrange counselling through the school.

AgentDaleCooper
21-04-2019, 09:13 PM
I'm just not arsed about him, which i think is probably healthiest. Everything that is hateable about him is what made him likeable when he was at hibs. He's a very good manager, but seems to have lost his way in the past 12 months and so long as he's managing a team in scotland then long may that continue :aok:

Jumbo
21-04-2019, 09:18 PM
When theFF upper section started singing “Neil Lennon (rhymes with banker ) it was booed down by the majority.

I never heard any booing of song, infact it sounded like it was coming from all 3 stands :na na:

norhfc
21-04-2019, 09:34 PM
I sat right behind the away dugout and never heard any songs. A few Lennon sit doon shouts but nothing extreme. He didn’t antagonise us either.
For me he’s just another away manager, leave the hate for others.

marinello59
21-04-2019, 09:34 PM

I didn’t hear any booing.
I dislike Celtic as much as I dislike the huns so I’ll reserve the right to give anybody associated with that *****y club stick. I’ll leave those who think it’s only bigots who give Lennon a hard time l to wallow in their own prejudice.

Paisley Hibby
21-04-2019, 09:35 PM
Yesterday's man. Lets hope Celtic keep him on next season - it will narrow the gap.

The 90+2
21-04-2019, 09:38 PM
I didn’t hear any booing.
I dislike Celtic as much as I dislike the huns so I’ll reserve the right to give anybody associated with that *****y club stick. I’ll leave those who think it’s only bigots who give Lennon a hard time l to wallow in their own prejudice.

This. Also I don’t think he ever cared about the club I love.

Listen to Heckys interview today full of praise and love and just seems legit. Neil Lennon was former Celtic manager Hibs manager Neil Lennon
Hecky seems the most legit manager he loves being here and doesn’t care about others.

I would love to wager Heckingbottom will achieve more as a manager as Neil Lennon.

Onceinawhile
21-04-2019, 09:39 PM
Hope he beats hearts, killie, Aberdeen and hearts. Other than that, couldn't care less how he does this season.

jgl07
21-04-2019, 09:50 PM
Hope he beats hearts, killie, Aberdeen and hearts. Other than that, couldn't care less how he does this season.
Good. Beat Hearts twice! Add in Rangers and I would agree!

SMAXXA
21-04-2019, 09:55 PM
He’s a fanny I liked him as a Hibs manager but he’s still a fanny imo he doesn’t care about Hibs and neither should he he would walk over us at any opportunity to be a Celtic hero in just glad we didn’t allow that today which is the biggest **** off right at him for the way he treated players and our club always thinking we pandered to him. Guess what those folk who say we won’t get a better manager than Neil Lennon might just be thinking twice.

Come on the hibees bigger than any individual

Onceinawhile
21-04-2019, 10:34 PM
Good. Beat Hearts twice! Add in Rangers and I would agree!

That's unlikely to benefit us in any way, so I don't care about that result.

Sir David Gray
21-04-2019, 10:45 PM

Correct. Only time i have a preference as to who wins that fixture is if it's going to benefit us in some way. Since it won't, I have zero interest in the upcoming match between these two.

Barney McGrew
21-04-2019, 10:58 PM
Lennon got us up out the Championship, but let’s be honest the football was dull and any half decent manager would have got us up.

First half of the season in the Premiership was meh.

Second half was outstanding, but I can’t help feeling a lot of that was down to us being lucky that Celtic needed Scott Bain last minute, and us getting Scott Allan was a bit fortunate. We pushed on because of him being there.

This season up until he left was pretty dreadful.

Our results since Hecky has arrived (with the same squad) have proved how much better we are with him here.

Glory Lurker
21-04-2019, 11:06 PM
Hate, no. Not my thing. However I was emphatically whelmed by his appointment and his first season didn't change that. Aye, we got up first shout but we probably had a budget of most of the league combined. There were some brutal games that season.

First season back up started ok-ish. We got to third with the 3-0 against Killie which was great, but performances stalled not long after. It was tedious towards Christmas and the two derbies - even making allowance for the shocking failure to award Shaw a goal - were horrendous.

Back half of last season was incredible. Up there with first couple of Mowbray years. But dropping JMac for the derby? Losing it after the derby? Not cool.

This season started great, but -just like last year - the momentum was gone by November, and we went so backwards. His last game, against Motherwell, was as gruesome as anything I watched under Butcher.

He's just not a particularly good manager. My whelmdness was unaffected by his departure.

Since452
21-04-2019, 11:13 PM
My opinion on Lennon was he relied too heavily on hairdryer type rants and intimidation. Only gets you so far and is outdated. Once players started shutting off to his outbursts his tactical frailties were there for everyone to see.

Besties Debut
22-04-2019, 04:23 AM
It was the combination I reckon but I have to say Lusigs recovery from a career ending injury was astonishing. When it's a clear as that the intention was to get an opponent in trouble then there should be some punishment to the player concerned. I met him at last years player of the year dance and the guy was sound. What happens during the pressure of a game shouldn’t reflect on what he is like as a man of the park away from football

Onion
22-04-2019, 05:24 AM
Let's leave intolerance, hatred and divisiveness to the Hearts and Sevco.

FilipinoHibs
22-04-2019, 05:28 AM
Aye, can’t stand him. Let’s be totally honest, the guy is useless tactically

As well as being a p***k

Todi114
22-04-2019, 05:35 AM
I don’t hate Neil Lennon
Our current manager is doing an excellent job with the same players
Mr Alan Stubbs will be remembered long after we have stopped discussing Lennon

JimBHibees
22-04-2019, 06:42 AM
Will never hate Lennon as did a good job at Hibs to me however reserve the right to be irritated by his actions when managing opposition team.

Brunswickbill
22-04-2019, 07:32 AM
I like Lennon and I think he was good for the club. But we’ve moved on. After yesterday’s game he was criticising the attitude of the Celtic players as he often did when in charge of Hibs. It’s funny how the attitude of the Hibs players hasn't been questioned since he left. Hecky at the wheel!

Smartie
22-04-2019, 07:46 AM
This. Also I don’t think he ever cared about the club I love.

Listen to Heckys interview today full of praise and love and just seems legit. Neil Lennon was former Celtic manager Hibs manager Neil Lennon
Hecky seems the most legit manager he loves being here and doesn’t care about others.

I would love to wager Heckingbottom will achieve more as a manager as Neil Lennon.

I think we need to be realistic - neither Heckingbottom nor Lennon would be near Hibs if they'd had better offers. There is no "love" for Hibs from either of them. Both were/ are very good managers who had/ have plenty of commitment to our cause.

jacomo
22-04-2019, 07:52 AM

Craig Levein and Anne Budge win some silverware... I don’t think so.

A treble treble is not what I was hoping for but here we are, so be it.

Sir David Gray
22-04-2019, 07:59 AM
Craig Levein and Anne Budge win some silverware... I don’t think so.

A treble treble is not what I was hoping for but here we are, so be it.

I'm assuming the post you quoted was referring to the Rangers v Celtic match in a few weeks.

Doh Rae Me
22-04-2019, 08:01 AM
Hibs 5 Huns 5. Probably the most emotional game I've seen at Easter Rd. I will never forget it. Was too busy going mental at the time to see the aeroplane but absolutely loved the reruns.
Neil Lennon, I thank you.

SquashedFrogg
22-04-2019, 08:12 AM
I think we need to be realistic - neither Heckingbottom nor Lennon would be near Hibs if they'd had better offers. There is no "love" for Hibs from either of them. Both were/ are very good managers who had/ have plenty of commitment to our cause.

I don't think either have ever said they love Hibs? Hecky suggested he was falling in love with the players based on the response he's had from them.

The Green Goblin
22-04-2019, 08:37 AM
I just don’t think about NL tbh. I don’t hate him but I don’t miss him one bit either. He already seems like a long time ago in my mind. He gave us some good moments, but ultimately he started going backwards. What’s important now is that we seem to have an excellent tactical coach who is also a team player. Results are great and he’s not even had Scott Allan or a transfer window yet.... NL came and went. I suspect that in the end, Stubbs and Heckingbottom will be way above him in the historical pecking order

The Green Goblin
22-04-2019, 08:40 AM

Not so sure about that Smartie. At least where PH is concerned. He chose to come here rather than wait it out for a better offer and his affection for the club is definitely growing.

CRAZYHIBBY
22-04-2019, 08:46 AM
How can you hate lennon for wanting his team to win...if you look back at some games when we played celtic you will see he was screaming at the ref during those games as well

Berwickhibby
22-04-2019, 09:03 AM
My initial post was rather "tongue in cheek" my point stands though, his behaviour yesterday trying to get Malian sent off was pathetic

Onion
22-04-2019, 09:04 AM
I like Lennon and I think he was good for the club. But we’ve moved on. After yesterday’s game he was criticising the attitude of the Celtic players as he often did when in charge of Hibs. It’s funny how the attitude of the Hibs players hasn't been questioned since he left. Hecky at the wheel!

This was his main go-to tactic when Hibs didn't win matches, and it weakened him a manager. To be doing this to a potential Treble winning team after just a couple of months is crazy stuff from Lennon and IMO puts a nail in his chances of the permanent job.

Since452
22-04-2019, 09:08 AM
This was his main go-to tactic when Hibs didn't win matches, and it weakened him a manager. To be doing this to a potential Treble winning team after just a couple of months is crazy stuff from Lennon and IMO puts a nail in his chances of the permanent job.

Reminds me of Clough in The Dammed United having a go at the Leeds players who had dominated English football. Some of the Celtic players must be wondering who he thinks he is.

GordonHFC
22-04-2019, 09:16 AM
Didn't like him before he was at Hibs or when he was at Hibs. Tactically inept, cant man manage and couldn't talk enough about Celtic during interviews. Convinced his behaviour was deliberately staged so he could leave Hibs.

superfurryhibby
22-04-2019, 09:16 AM
Hating Lennon is a ridiculous stance. I can’t say I wish him any footballing success in Scotland though.

Having just had a wee browse of Kerrydale St, it’s clear there is no love in between the Celtic fans and their temporary manager. Statements about one dimensional football, poor and inflexible tactics, poor selection.....all very familiar.

Johnny Clash
22-04-2019, 09:35 AM
Not so sure about that Smartie. At least where PH is concerned. He chose to come here rather than wait it out for a better offer and his affection for the club is definitely growing.
All Hibs managers chose to come here and I think certainly the last three have a much greater understanding and affection for the club and the support. Perhaps the biggest impact of all wasn’t a manager but a coach - John Doolan. Maybe he just wears his heart on his sleeve more but you really got the impression he genuinely loved Hibs.

J-C
22-04-2019, 09:44 AM
Didn't like him before he was at Hibs or when he was at Hibs. Tactically inept, cant man manage and couldn't talk enough about Celtic during interviews. Convinced his behaviour was deliberately staged so he could leave Hibs.

This

G B Young
22-04-2019, 09:46 AM
Terry Butcher gets an easier ride than Lennon is getting from some on here.

Absurd thread. The guy did a very good job for us overall. And the criticism he's getting from pundits about the job he's doing at Celtic is absurd as well. He's won the two crucial games required (the Old Firm game and a potentially very tricky semi-final v Aberdeen) and if he wins the Scottish Cup final to secure the treble treble what more can anyone ask of him?

Northernhibee
22-04-2019, 09:48 AM
How can you hate lennon for wanting his team to win...if you look back at some games when we played celtic you will see he was screaming at the ref during those games as well

Because his team isn’t Hibs. He was trying to get Mallan sent off for a challenge he won.

Frazerbob
22-04-2019, 09:50 AM
His behaviour yesterday was nothing new and he did similar whilst in our dug out. I grew to like and respect the guy, despite his many faults and that hasn’t changed. That said, I was glad he left when he did as he had clearly lost the team and the plot in general. I was also quite vocal on here about the ‘1 Neil Lennon’, anti Leeann brigade. He’ll be remembered for doing a decent job and putting his heart into the club whilst here and I’m sure he’ll be well received by most when ever he returns.

H18S NX
22-04-2019, 09:58 AM
I did not want him at Hibs,and i am so glad he is gone.

I'm Spartacus
22-04-2019, 10:45 AM
Those who have been in this situation will know what I'm talking about..

You know when you suffer the wife for years and know you should just leave, but don't, when Lennon was at ER I was like that with him. I wanted the break up but feared how messy it would be. Now we have a new partner and I hope he has a **** time with his new bint.

Since452
22-04-2019, 10:48 AM
We'd have been looking forward to Hamilton and Livingston if he hadn't left.

Onion
22-04-2019, 11:11 AM

Set against that is how, for 2 years at least, he turned Hibs into a team with a never-say-die attitude who fought to the final whistle of every game. Yes, he inherited a good squad with confidence high, but he took them to a new level. Anyone suggesting he was average or not committed to Hibs is plalin wrong.

NAE NOOKIE
22-04-2019, 11:50 AM
I hated Lennon as a player, he was a dirty nasty wee scrote on the park.

Now that he is no longer Hibs manager I don't know why I should hate him though, he got us promoted which is exactly what he was hired to do and then gave us a very good first season back. But the acid test was always going to be how he would cope with a downturn in our fortunes and when it came to that he was failing miserably and by the time it came to the parting of the ways it had never looked at any point like he had the slightest clue as to how to turn things around with bizarre team selections and constantly berating the players for lack of effort.

There can be little doubt that in the few short months he has been in charge at Celtic they are no longer the fearsome prospect they were under Rodgers. He won the last Glasgow East v Glasgow West derby and cuffed Aberdeen in the SC semi final …. but he was lucky in the first one as 10 man Sevco took them all the way and Aberdeen had an absolute nightmare at Hampden practically beating themselves. The rest of his victories have been narrow wins against clubs Celtic should be able to beat at a canter.

My only thoughts on Neil Lennon at the moment are fears that this malaise that seems to be affecting Celtic under his tenure will carry on into the cup final and his team will underperform on the day allowing Mr Football's cloggers to overcome talent with endeavour … that thought keeps me awake at night …. If that happens I definitely will end up hating Neil Lennon.
:confused:

Smartie
22-04-2019, 12:09 PM

I think the point I'm trying to make is that these guys don't have a background with our club. They've been employed by us and they're here to do a job. We're having good times under Heckingbottom and it is tempting go all gooey about it but we've had good times under good managers in the past that have gone on to end less well. I find it a bit bizarre that people are trying to use our current good position as a stick to beat Lennon with. We had good times with Lennon but we were never going to be "his team" as Celtic will always be his team. That doesn't mean we should have enjoyed having him as manager any less.

Times are good under Heckingbottom right now, we should enjoy them. Let's not pretend though that he loves us, or that if he was offered the Celtic job in the summer he wouldn't jump at the chance.

At least these days I'd have faith in the club to replace him adequately and we could move on quickly, as we did after Lennon.

NAE NOOKIE
22-04-2019, 12:25 PM
I think the point I'm trying to make is that these guys don't have a background with our club. They've been employed by us and they're here to do a job. We're having good times under Heckingbottom and it is tempting go all gooey about it but we've had good times under good managers in the past that have gone on to end less well. I find it a bit bizarre that people are trying to use our current good position as a stick to beat Lennon with. We had good times with Lennon but we were never going to be "his team" as Celtic will always be his team. That doesn't mean we should have enjoyed having him as manager any less.

Times are good under Heckingbottom right now, we should enjoy them. Let's not pretend though that he loves us, or that if he was offered the Celtic job in the summer he wouldn't jump at the chance.

At least these days I'd have faith in the club to replace him adequately and we could move on quickly, as we did after Lennon.

This is all true. To be honest if you ask me the departure of this particular manager only sparked the heated debate and controversy it did because there was an element of our support who without much hard evidence to back it up maintained that this was the guy who was going to take us to a whole new level and that his sacking / conscious uncoupling whatever you want to call it was a disaster of biblical proportions. Some of the on line abuse aimed at the club and Leeann Dempster in particular over it was way way over the top and in some cases detestable.

The subsequent upturn in our fortunes with exactly the same squad Lennon had and Celtic's mediocre form since Lennon's appointment has firmly put a few folks gas at a very welcomed peep.

FilipinoHibs
22-04-2019, 12:42 PM
This is all true. To be honest if you ask me the departure of this particular manager only sparked the heated debate and controversy it did because there was an element of our support who without much hard evidence to back it up maintained that this was the guy who was going to take us to a whole new level and that his sacking / conscious uncoupling whatever you want to call it was a disaster of biblical proportions. Some of the on line abuse aimed at the club and Leeann Dempster in particular over it was way way over the top and in some cases detestable.

The subsequent upturn in our fortunes with exactly the same squad Lennon had and Celtic's mediocre form since Lennon's appointment has firmly put a few folks gas at a very welcomed peep.

Hear hear . A bet a lot of them are former Hands of Hibs folk/pseudo Irish republicans.

EI255
22-04-2019, 12:47 PM

Don't think i ever hated him in the first place.

Pagan Hibernia
22-04-2019, 12:50 PM
I do not hate Lennon in any way, shape or form. Had some wonderful times watching Hibs in the last couple of years.

No major trophies, but promotion, a superb season last year, fearless swashbuckling performances against the old firm, several immensely satisfying derby wins, an enjoyable European adventure last summer, and some sparkling football played by the McGinn, McGeouch, Allan midfield. A couple of good cup runs which with a wee bit of luck would have led to finals at Hampden.

He had had affection for our club and support when he was here, and was a supporter of HSL.

Charming, witty and engaging in person. And a lot more tactically astute than many on here give him credit for. Demanding, driven, and not happy to accept second best.

of course it’s disappointing how it ended, and it was certainly time for both parties to go their separate ways. But I wish him well.

Pagan Hibernia
22-04-2019, 12:52 PM
Hear hear . A bet a lot of them are former Hands of Hibs folk/pseudo Irish republicans.

whats wrong with Hands off Hibs folk?

Iggy Pope
22-04-2019, 12:52 PM

Most of us are Hands Off Hibs folk or we wouldn’t have a club to speak of.

The Modfather
22-04-2019, 01:14 PM
Didn’t like him as player and manager at Celtic. Liked that he fought our corner, but not always the way he did it e.g. Jim Duffy incident, Rugby Park sending off etc.

I think he did more good than bad over the piece. A good manager to have when things are going well and was able to take Stevenson, McGinn, McGeough etc up a level. However he was found badly wanting when the going got tough and lost a bit of respect for him in the way he treated Kamberi while at the same time disappearing from view and not publicly acknowledging the many things he was getting wrong.

Besties Debut
22-04-2019, 01:27 PM
Did we hate him after he got us promoted?

cabbageandribs1875
22-04-2019, 01:33 PM
Did we hate him after he got us promoted?

oh i'm quite sure a few on here did, must have been quite hard for them having to hold back :agree:

RIP Bestie
22-04-2019, 01:35 PM
Had never started liking him

500miles
22-04-2019, 01:47 PM
It took me a long time to warm to Lennon. I get him a bit more now, but he's got a stupid streak in him, and it will cost him a long term career in management if he's not careful.

Took a bit of pleasure in seeing McGregor and Mallan giving him some verbals though, possibly leftover from his time here.

Frazerbob
22-04-2019, 03:18 PM

Think you mean Hands ON Hibs. Very important distinction to make.

IngolstadtHarry
22-04-2019, 03:26 PM
Terry Butcher gets an easier ride than Lennon is getting from some on here.

Absurd thread. The guy did a very good job for us overall. And the criticism he's getting from pundits about the job he's doing at Celtic is absurd as well. He's won the two crucial games required (the Old Firm game and a potentially very tricky semi-final v Aberdeen) and if he wins the Scottish Cup final to secure the treble treble what more can anyone ask of him?

:top marks

basehibby
22-04-2019, 07:40 PM
He was a great manager for us for 2 seasons and I thoroughly enjoyed his time at the helm of Hibs - and his behaviour on the touchline on Sunday was no different to what he would have been doing in a Hibs tracksuit - so no I won't be indulging in the cartoon hatred.

That said I recognise it's part of the panto vilain nature of football rivalry so if that's yer thing then fill yer boots - just try and stay classy - remember you're a Hibee!

Since452
22-04-2019, 07:51 PM
Does the "One Neil Lennon" guy still like him?

YanYansen
22-04-2019, 08:58 PM
It took me a long time to warm to Lennon. I get him a bit more now, but he's got a stupid streak in him, and it will cost him a long term career in management if he's not careful.

Took a bit of pleasure in seeing McGregor and Mallan giving him some verbals though, possibly leftover from his time here.

Aye, I enjoyed that an aw.

HibeeHibernian4
22-04-2019, 11:18 PM
And a lot more tactically astute than many on here give him credit for.

31 Bogdan
36 Porteous
24 McGregor
4 Hanlon
3 Whittaker
25 Ambrose
5 Milligan
14 Mallan
18 Nelom
10 Boyle
22 Kamberi

I'd love to know what is tactically astute about this lineup.

Demanding, driven, and not happy to accept second best.

We were eighth best.

hfc rd
22-04-2019, 11:32 PM

I didn’t see the part when McGregor & Mallan gave him verbals. What was it regarding?

HibeeHibernian4
22-04-2019, 11:42 PM
I didn’t see the part when McGregor & Mallan gave him verbals. What was it regarding?

After the Lustig tackle: https://twitter.com/brythehibby/status/1120044172218703873

Brunswickbill
23-04-2019, 08:34 AM
It’s funny how when Celtic don’t win the media are all about how badly they played and nothing to do with how well the opposition played.

jacomo
23-04-2019, 08:38 AM
I never heard any booing of song, infact it sounded like it was coming from all 3 stands :na na:

Good.

I have no hatred for Lennon and supported him until the last (arguably, beyond the point where he still cared about the Hibs job himself).

But what is wrong with the fans singing a mildly insulting song about him now? He’s gone and now is back with Celtc. Give him pelters!

One Day Soon
23-04-2019, 08:43 AM

Indeed. Not for the first time we are in agreement AMC.

One Day Soon
23-04-2019, 08:46 AM
You need to get tighter into that spellcheck. You are giving it a yard of space and it’s making you look sluggish. You are then selling yourself too early. It’s not great to watch so you will have to improve or someone else will be in and they’ll spell better.

Love. It. :agree:

J-C
23-04-2019, 09:28 AM
It’s funny how when Celtic don’t win the media are all about how badly they played and nothing to do with how well the opposition played.

This happened at the weekend when Man U and Arsenal got beat

we are hibs
23-04-2019, 09:57 AM
Showed the club, his fellow members of staff, players and fans little respect when he was acting like a bairn threatening to leave every 5 minutes. Blaming everyone apart from himself the majority of the time we lost games. Freezing out players and playing lesser players ahead of them because he's a stubborn arse. Tactically woeful at times. Signings mostly poor. His behaviour on the sideline (particularly killie away) was not only an embarrassment to himself but the club. And now he's back at Celtic and back to his usual roaring and greeting as soon as someone has the audacity to tackle any of his players like Mallan did.

See those still defending him, I wonder if their stance would be the same if he had a rangers tracksuit on?

The 90+2
23-04-2019, 10:04 AM
Showed the club, his fellow members of staff, players and fans little respect when he was acting like a bairn threatening to leave every 5 minutes. Blaming everyone apart from himself the majority of the time we lost games. Freezing out players and playing lesser players ahead of them because he's a stubborn arse. Tactically woeful at times. Signings mostly poor. His behaviour on the sideline (particularly killie away) was not only an embarrassment to himself but the club. And now he's back at Celtic and back to his usual roaring and greeting as soon as someone has the audacity to tackle any of his players like Mallan did.

See those still defending him, I wonder if their stance would be the same if he had a rangers tracksuit on?

Good point. Look at the abuse the far more successful Alex McLeish got when he left in comparison.

Besties Debut
23-04-2019, 10:34 AM
I didn’t see the part when McGregor & Mallan gave him verbals. What was it regarding? They didnt. The poster was lying

oldbutdim
23-04-2019, 10:34 AM

The 'Neil Lennon you're a ******' was indeed from three stands.

The booing of the song came from the Celtic bench. Although I think two or three joined in the singing, but quite quietly.

I wish Mr Lennon all the best for the upcoming Final, and look forward to hearing his views on Celtic next season when he's a full time pundit.

Besties Debut
23-04-2019, 10:39 AM
I honestly can't believe how small minded some folk are on here. Have you forgotten about Brondby, promotion, winning a European tie for the first time since the 70s. Lenny was good for Hibs and we were good for Lenny but like everything in football things run their course. To say we should be hating the man is ridiculous

bigwheel
23-04-2019, 10:48 AM
I honestly can't believe how small minded some folk are on here. Have you forgotten about Brondby, promotion, winning a European tie for the first time since the 70s. Lenny was good for Hibs and we were good for Lenny but like everything in football things run their course. To say we should be hating the man is ridiculous

Great points....some people seem to love to hate...He is now part of Hibernian history and should be respected as such...people have done much less and get welcomed back.

G B Young
23-04-2019, 11:00 AM

Alex Miller won us a Uefa Cup tie against Videoton in the 80s, but I agree wholeheartedly with your post. I think we'd have looked long and hard to find a manager who would have overseen such a successful first season back in the top flight where we achieved our best ever points tally.

Stuart93
23-04-2019, 11:07 AM
They didnt. The poster was lying

Mallan definitely told Lennon to shut the **** up, can see it on the highlights from his tackle on lustig

500miles
23-04-2019, 11:08 AM

Would you like to try again, Neil?

MWHIBBIES
23-04-2019, 11:27 AM
Hibs have won European ties recently. Beat Dinaburg in 2006.

Besties Debut
23-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Hibs have won European ties recently. Beat Dinaburg in 2006. I meant a proper European tie. Not the Donald Duck Dispatch Trophy

Besties Debut
23-04-2019, 11:36 AM
Alex Miller won us a Uefa Cup tie against Videoton in the 80s, but I agree wholeheartedly with your post. I think we'd have looked long and hard to find a manager who would have overseen such a successful first season back in the top flight where we achieved our best ever points tally. Your right and I was there. Followed on by a trip to Leige which we were unlucky to lose

HibeeHibernian4
23-04-2019, 05:18 PM

Oh dear.

HibeeHibernian4
23-04-2019, 05:28 PM
Have you forgotten about Brondby

I remember Brondby very well, was at both legs. From my memory, we were a goal down in 15 seconds because of their punt-and-run kick off tactic, which Lennon then tried (and failed miserably) to replicate for the rest of the season.

He also spent the first month as Hibs manager in a TV studio talking about the Euros, so we didn't sign a first team goalkeeper in time for the European campaign. Virtanen spilled a simple shot and we were a goal down and up against it from the off.

He then made a tit of himself and was sent to the stands after Cummings was (wrongly) flagged offside for a potential equaliser.

In the second leg, Hibs performed bravely with our backs to the walls while Lennon was serving his first game in a lengthy UEFA touchline ban. Garry Parker should take as much, if not more, credit for that night as Lennon does.

promotion

Promotion from a ridiculously weak Championship in which we had far and away the biggest budget? He earned one more point than Stubbs did in a league that was so much easier. That is testament to what a turgid season it was. Scraping to draws and narrow wins against Dumbarton et al. Was brutal to watch and we were fortunate that no other team put enough of a run together to test us properly. We still nearly contrived to throw it away in December and early March before Commons and then Ambrose arrived.

winning a European tie for the first time since the 70s.

That statistic is reflective of some awful European performances under managers previous, rather than Lennon being some sort of all-conquering genius. The first tie we won since the 70s saw us concede 5 goals against a Faroese fishing mob.

Lenny was good for Hibs and we were good for Lenny

"Lenny" is a nauseating nickname and should be left firmly in the East End of Glasgow.

G B Young
23-04-2019, 05:45 PM
Your right and I was there. Followed on by a trip to Leige which we were unlucky to lose

Yes, a one in a million shot from about 40 yards that caught Goram out. If memory serves me right we missed a penalty in the first leg but I could be wrong.

Miller also almost steered us past Anderlecht in the early 90s in a tie which featured a brilliant away trip.

Some of the guff on here about Lennon is mind boggling. Who can deny last season was the best Hibs have enjoyed in the top flight in many a long year? A record points tally confirms that. Scottish Cup legend that he is, would anyone have been confident that Stubbs could have done a similar job? Or indeed been sure to get us out of the Championship? The momentum under Lennon was all upwards until the final couple of months.

The Green Goblin
23-04-2019, 05:48 PM
Mallan definitely told Lennon to shut the **** up, can see it on the highlights from his tackle on lustig

Clear as day.

Onion
23-04-2019, 05:59 PM

Celtic's turnover and fanbase (and media consumers) is a massive multiple of Hibs, so any shortfall in performance against poorer clubs is bound to focus on their shortcomings. Sometimes that's unfair eg in the case of Killie who are regularly punching well above their weight due to the quality of their manager. But you can't expect poor Weedgie journos who can barely speak English to open their minds to what Hecky might or might not be doing in Leith. Give it time. If he continues as he is, it won't be long before the very same journos are touting Hecky for ra sellick job. It would be rude to do that in front of Lenny.

Besties Debut
23-04-2019, 06:33 PM
I remember Brondby very well, was at both legs. From my memory, we were a goal down in 15 seconds because of their punt-and-run kick off tactic, which Lennon then tried (and failed miserably) to replicate for the rest of the season.

He also spent the first month as Hibs manager in a TV studio talking about the Euros, so we didn't sign a first team goalkeeper in time for the European campaign. Virtanen spilled a simple shot and we were a goal down and up against it from the off.

He then made a tit of himself and was sent to the stands after Cummings was (wrongly) flagged offside for a potential equaliser.

In the second leg, Hibs performed bravely with our backs to the walls while Lennon was serving his first game in a lengthy UEFA touchline ban. Garry Parker should take as much, if not more, credit for that night as Lennon does.

Promotion from a ridiculously weak Championship in which we had far and away the biggest budget? He earned one more point than Stubbs did in a league that was so much easier. That is testament to what a turgid season it was. Scraping to draws and narrow wins against Dumbarton et al. Was brutal to watch and we were fortunate that no other team put enough of a run together to test us properly. We still nearly contrived to throw it away in December and early March before Commons and then Ambrose arrived.

That statistic is reflective of some awful European performances under managers previous, rather than Lennon being some sort of all-conquering genius. The first tie we won since the 70s saw us concede 5 goals against a Faroese fishing mob.

"Lenny" is a nauseating nickname and should be left firmly in the East End of Glasgow. I notice your hatred of Lenny has caused a bit of amnesia and you have wiped last season from your mind. Its a shame because Mcginn, Dylan and Scott Allan were a joy to watch and for most of us it was a great season.

The 90+2
23-04-2019, 06:36 PM
I notice your hatred of Lenny has caused a bit of amnesia and you have wiped last season from your mind. Its a shame because Mcginn, Dylan and Scott Allan were a joy to watch and for most of us it was a great season.

Why would anyone hate Lennon. He had two good half seasons with us and nobody can take that away from him. We’ve moved on to better now and the team has improved remarkably. Let’s move on. He’s back at his beloved now having imo engineered his ticket to get the job.

HibeeHibernian4
23-04-2019, 11:28 PM
I notice your hatred of Lenny has caused a bit of amnesia and you have wiped last season from your mind. Its a shame because Mcginn, Dylan and Scott Allan were a joy to watch and for most of us it was a great season.

Three excellent Stubbs signings.

Squealing pig
23-04-2019, 11:47 PM
Lennon was alright done a good job, it was that Parker I couldn’t stand

Bangkok Hibby
24-04-2019, 08:20 AM

Haha Ive been waiting for this. Lennon's a dick but don't hate him. But Parker!!...dont know the man personally so he could be a lovely human being but I always just wanted to punch him. Shallow perhaps but there it is.

wookie70
24-04-2019, 09:09 AM

Parker had a great record when Lennon was in the stands and away from the players

Oscar T Grouch
24-04-2019, 09:50 AM
I enjoyed having Lennon as manager when he was here, we had some great times. I think he left at the right time. I don't have the energy to hate anyone because of football, there are bigger things to worry about. His actions on Sunday were just typical Lennon, I would expect no less from him, he is Celtc manager after all.

Since452
24-04-2019, 11:13 AM

Can't say i had much of an opinion on Parker other than it looked like he slept rough.

Kojock
24-04-2019, 11:20 AM
Don't really understand this "Can we start hating Lennon again" some of us never stopped lol

Since452
24-04-2019, 11:22 AM
Yes, a one in a million shot from about 40 yards that caught Goram out. If memory serves me right we missed a penalty in the first leg but I could be wrong.

Miller also almost steered us past Anderlecht in the early 90s in a tie which featured a brilliant away trip.

Some of the guff on here about Lennon is mind boggling. Who can deny last season was the best Hibs have enjoyed in the top flight in many a long year? A record points tally confirms that. Scottish Cup legend that he is, would anyone have been confident that Stubbs could have done a similar job? Or indeed been sure to get us out of the Championship? The momentum under Lennon was all upwards until the final couple of months.

I think Stubbs would have won the Championship that Lennon did and by more. Infact i think i could have won that league with Hibs after just winning the cup. Sure we had around 12k season tickets holders, big budget and club was on the crest of a wave. No Hearts, no Rangers and Falkirk were far weaker. Can't remember ever seeing so many poor draws as i did that season. Must have been close to drawing half of our league games. Certainly felt like it.

Northernhibee
24-04-2019, 11:37 AM
I think Stubbs would have won the Championship that Lennon did and by more. Infact i think i could have won that league with Hibs after just winning the cup. Sure we had around 12k season tickets holders, big budget and club was on the crest of a wave. No Hearts, no Rangers and Falkirk were far weaker. Can't remember ever seeing so many poor draws as i did that season.

If you watch the DVD that came out and pay attention to the scores, IMO that was the most soul destroying season in the lower tier that we had. First season we saw some stars emerge and beat Rangers to 2nd in the league, second saw two cup finals which knackered our players but still a brilliant season and the third had turgid football, too many draws, poor signings and if we had Sevco or Hearts in the league again that season we would seriously have struggled.

The idea deal that we became a better team is an absolute myth. We didn’t gain more of a winning mentality at all IMO. The league became easier.

G B Young
24-04-2019, 11:46 AM
Three excellent Stubbs signings.

Stubbs signed Allan initially but it was Lennon who brought him back as well as getting him signed up permanently for next season.

Lennon IMHO brought in some very good players, some of whom are now proving their worth under Heckingbottom. We've got two of the best keepers I've seen at ER for years with us at present. Kamberi (last season, granted) was a revelation, while Simon Murray proved himself well worth taking a punt on for the half season he shone. I'm sure the majority of us were thrilled when Stokes returned. We can't blame Lennon for what transpired there. Of the more recent signings I like Horgan a lot and Mallan has had a good season overall. Of the players he inherited, Porteous and Boyle were thriving under his management prior to injury.

I'm surprised there seem to be so many on here who harbour such resentment towards a guy who did a very sound job for the vast majority of his tenure. I'll bow out of this thread now as I have no more to say other than that I very enjoyed almost all of Lennon's time as boss and bear him no ill will whatsoever.

Stevie Reid
24-04-2019, 11:46 AM
Why do people care how impressively we won the Championship? All that matters is that we did, and then what we did when we came back up - and last season was superb.

We won it by a mile in 1999 and were nowhere near as good in the SPL the following year.

JimBHibees
24-04-2019, 12:09 PM
Why do people care how impressively we won the Championship? All that matters is that we did, and then what we did when we came back up - and last season was superb.

We won it by a mile in 1999 and were nowhere near as good in the SPL the following year.

Yes was more pressure on as it was all about winning and we did it comfortably. Also think we saved a bit in the hope we got up which allowed us to reinvest better for the next season. Still some excellent performances such as horsing United just after christmas and beating Hearts again in the cup. One of the best moments for me was Keats last minute goal v Falkirk brilliant goal and sealed the league against a team who competed well against us.

Keith_M
24-04-2019, 12:11 PM
Can we please stop all this logic, fairness and rationalising...

He's the Celtc Manager...why would you NOT hate him?

Correct!

Stokesy's on fire
24-04-2019, 12:18 PM
No need to hate him. He brought some passion and desire to the club and promoted the team from the championship to the premier league and managed to give us a great season and trip to Greece so no way will i hate Neil Lennon! All the best to him.

Since452
24-04-2019, 01:32 PM
Couldn't stand Neil Lennon before Hibs. At Hibs i slowly warmed to him and began to understand him a bit but all that started to change again for me towards the end and i was delighted when he left. Now he's Celtic manager again and i couldn't care less about him. Hope he wins the SC though!

HibeeHibernian4
24-04-2019, 02:52 PM
I'm sure the majority of us were thrilled when Stokes returned. We can't blame Lennon for what transpired there. Of the more recent signings.

I agree with most of what you wrote, but I'd just like to go on record and say that I wasn't at all. I despaired at him coming back. He ended up doing slightly better than I was expecting, but at the cost of completely ruining our style of play by dropping into midfield when we didn't need him to. We were so much better with him gone and our midfield playing through balls to two hungry strikers (Kamberi and Maclaren).

HibeeHibernian4
24-04-2019, 02:56 PM

Because certain people use Lennon winning the Championship as a stick with which to beat cup-winning legend Alan Stubbs.

They (either ignorantly or cynically) pretend that the three seasons Hibs spent down there were exactly the same in terms of opposition, and therefore arrive at the conclusion that 'Lennon succeeded where Stubbs couldn't'.

Stubbs' first season in the Championship was far more enjoyable and produced better results than Lennon's season in the Championship.

People talk about Stubbs' failure to get out of the Championship as if it were as easy as Lennon's Championship, and in the same breath laud Lennon for getting promotion as if he did so from either of Stubbs' (much more difficult) Championships.

Besties Debut
24-04-2019, 03:14 PM
Stubbs' first season in the Championship was far more enjoyable and produced better results than Lennon's season in the Championship.

. That promotion thingy is a bit of an elephant in the room dont you think

HibeeHibernian4
24-04-2019, 03:51 PM
That promotion thingy is a bit of an elephant in the room dont you think

Genuinely, no I don't.

Completely mitigated by a Scottish Cup. Ask any Hibs fan in 50 years time what year we won the Scottish Cup and what year we got promoted from the Championship. Any Hibs fan who wanted promotion over the Scottish Cup that season should never be asked to give their opinion on anything Hibs related ever again.

The 90+2
24-04-2019, 04:16 PM
Genuinely, no I don't.

Completely mitigated by a Scottish Cup. Ask any Hibs fan in 50 years time what year we won the Scottish Cup and what year we got promoted from the Championship. Any Hibs fan who wanted promotion over the Scottish Cup that season should never be asked to give their opinion on anything Hibs related ever again.

Ask any fan in 50 years time what position in the league we finished when we won the cup nobody will even remember we where in the championship.

How anyone can even slate Stubbs for anything is beggars belief.

Iggy Pope
24-04-2019, 04:40 PM
That promotion thingy is a bit of an elephant in the room dont you think

Do you mean like, not winning the Championship was more enjoyable and memorable than the year we finally won it? That’s how it reads to me and I can’t agree.
All three seasons were memorable in different ways but **** not winning the second division for **** sake.

Smartie
24-04-2019, 05:07 PM
Do you mean like, not winning the Championship was more enjoyable and memorable than the year we finally won it? That’s how it reads to me and I can’t agree.
All three seasons were memorable in different ways but **** not winning the second division for **** sake.

Stubbs' first season WAS memorable. We'd been in decline for yonks before that, he arrested the decline, put a team on the park that played good football and gave us several memorable performances. More than anything he gave us a bit of pride back, we had the first team in a decade that we enjoyed watching and looked to be on an upward trajectory.

It is ridiculous that Lennon gets criticism for the way he won the league and nobody can realistically say that they preferred a season where we didn't win it to the season we won it. Lennon got the job done. He took Stubbs team and did what he needed to do to get us to the stage where we could have the impressive first season back in the Premier. We had good times with Lennon and I don't know why anyone should belittle that.

TBH since we were relegated they have all been good seasons in various different ways. I'm not sure why we should be putting down any of the figures who have contributed to us having several more than acceptable seasons over the past few years. We'll all have our opinions and our favourites.

Besties Debut
24-04-2019, 05:27 PM
How anyone can even slate Stubbs for anything is beggars belief. Pissing off down the road at the first opportunity he got leaves a bitter taste. Standing waving to us on the open top bus knowing that in a few days time he would be jumping ship to a small struggling team like Rotherham rather than leading Hibs into Europe makes me think he was maybe not that great a guy after all.

superfurryhibby
24-04-2019, 06:18 PM
Pissing off down the road at the first opportunity he got leaves a bitter taste. Standing waving to us on the open top bus knowing that in a few days time he would be jumping ship to a small struggling team like Rotherham rather than leading Hibs into Europe makes me think he was maybe not that great a guy after all.

Yawn, you’re going to have to up your game here.

Besties Debut
24-04-2019, 07:18 PM
Yawn, you’re going to have to up your game here. What else is there :confused:

I HOPE your not expecting me to mention the tittle tattle about the physio?

Besties Debut
24-04-2019, 07:22 PM
All three seasons were memorable in different ways but **** not winning the second division for **** sake. I take it you are aiming your post at HFCEighteen75. Im off the opinion that winning a league is better than not winning it

superfurryhibby
24-04-2019, 07:48 PM
What else is there :confused:

I HOPE your not expecting me to mention the tittle tattle about the physio?

You just did.

J-C
25-04-2019, 07:05 AM
Pissing off down the road at the first opportunity he got leaves a bitter taste. Standing waving to us on the open top bus knowing that in a few days time he would be jumping ship to a small struggling team like Rotherham rather than leading Hibs into Europe makes me think he was maybe not that great a guy after all.

You do know Stubbs was leaving whether we won the cup or not.

Turgid stuff by Lennon to get us promoted but that he did. Lennon's biggest problem was his squad balance, seemed to sign players because they were available instead of where they would play and in what system.

Was not a fan of Lennon when he got the job, I don't actually think he was on our radar as he didn't fit with the model we wanted, I think it was a case of him being available and willing to come and we get a high profile manager.

bigwheel
25-04-2019, 08:21 AM
You do know Stubbs was leaving whether we won the cup or not.

Turgid stuff by Lennon to get us promoted but that he did. Lennon's biggest problem was his squad balance, seemed to sign players because they were available instead of where they would play and in what system.

Was not a fan of Lennon when he got the job, I don't actually think he was on our radar as he didn't fit with the model we wanted, I think it was a case of him being available and willing to come and we get a high profile manager.

No he wasn't....that's a myth...in fact in a recent interview LD confirmed she actually travelled down to England to try to get him to change his mind.

matty_f
25-04-2019, 08:24 AM
Stubbs' first season WAS memorable. We'd been in decline for yonks before that, he arrested the decline, put a team on the park that played good football and gave us several memorable performances. More than anything he gave us a bit of pride back, we had the first team in a decade that we enjoyed watching and looked to be on an upward trajectory.

It is ridiculous that Lennon gets criticism for the way he won the league and nobody can realistically say that they preferred a season where we didn't win it to the season we won it. Lennon got the job done. He took Stubbs team and did what he needed to do to get us to the stage where we could have the impressive first season back in the Premier. We had good times with Lennon and I don't know why anyone should belittle that.

TBH since we were relegated they have all been good seasons in various different ways. I'm not sure why we should be putting down any of the figures who have contributed to us having several more than acceptable seasons over the past few years. We'll all have our opinions and our favourites.

First season had some great moments - the 4-0 scudding of The Rangers was particularly enjoyable, as was the derby win.

GreenNWhiteArmy
25-04-2019, 09:18 AM
Each of the 3 seasons had their highs

Each of the 3 seasons had their lows

There's mitigating factors legitimately IMO for us not gaining promotion in both Stubbs' seasons in charge with building a squad and sheer volume of games in season 2.

At the end of the day, Lennon got the job done. Was it pretty? Absolutely not but when the pressure was on he handled it and dragged us over the line. We were top for almost 30 game weeks out of 36.

We never struggled to beat Rangers or Hearts in their time with us in the league so the easier league argument doesn't wash with me bearing in mind we also had Cowdenbeath we scraped past.

Each season had a unique circumstance attached. Each season saw big wins and poor draws/losses against part time sides

I enjoyed NL as Hibs manager. He's moved on and I thanked him at the time for his contribution. I wish him well for the rest of the season in the hope he can do us some favours. After that he will move back in to a media role/take a manager role outside Scotland in which case he doesn't directly affect Hibs anymore

The 90+2
25-04-2019, 09:22 AM
Each of the 3 seasons had their highs

Each of the 3 seasons had their lows

There's mitigating factors legitimately IMO for us not gaining promotion in both Stubbs' seasons in charge with building a squad and sheer volume of games in season 2.

At the end of the day, Lennon got the job done. Was it pretty? Absolutely not but when the pressure was on he handled it and dragged us over the line. We were top for almost 30 game weeks out of 36.

We never struggled to beat Rangers or Hearts in their time with us in the league so the easier league argument doesn't wash with me bearing in mind we also had Cowdenbeath we scraped past.

Each season had a unique circumstance attached. Each season saw big wins and poor draws/losses against part time sides

I enjoyed NL as Hibs manager. He's moved on and I thanked him at the time for his contribution. I wish him well for the rest of the season in the hope he can do us some favours. After that he will move back in to a media role/take a manager role outside Scotland in which case he doesn't directly affect Hibs anymore

It doesn’t wash with you that the league with Hearts and Rangers in it wasn’t harder than without them in it? That’s madness. Hearts won the league in record points total regardless of how we played against them.

We had to build from scratch so consistency was always going to be the issue.

Since452
25-04-2019, 09:28 AM
Lennons championship winning season

P - 36
W - 19
D - 14
L - 3
Pts - 71

Stubbs first season

P - 36
W -21
D - 7
L - 8
Pts - 70

Stubbs second season

P - 36
W - 21
D - 7
L - 8
Pts - 70

Both Stubbs seasons would have taken us up when Lennon did and both Stubbs seasons were considerably harder than Lennons season. 14 draws is mental.

GreenNWhiteArmy
25-04-2019, 09:28 AM
It doesn’t wash with you that the league with Hearts and Rangers in it wasn’t harder than without them in it? That’s madness. Hearts won the league in record points total regardless of how we played against them.

We had to build from scratch so consistency was always going to be the issue.

So let's wipe out the first season then as even if we were better prepared we'd have probably finished behind them

2nd season, volume of games was our killer not the strength of the league - Falkirk would have finished above us anyway

The 90+2
25-04-2019, 09:35 AM
So let's wipe out the first season then as even if we were better prepared we'd have probably finished behind them

2nd season, volume of games was our killer not the strength of the league - Falkirk would have finished above us anyway

I never said wipe it out, I’m saying it was a lot lot harder to win with they teams there than it was with them not there.

Second season rangers where still in the league had a new manager and spent a lot more, again a lot harder than the third season down there.

Leagues with Hearts and Rangers with one going up is a lot harder to win than without them. Especially as the first season we came second to the team who won the league with record points.

Lennon done a good job and grateful he managed to take us up. We struggled in whole that season to go up though it wasn’t all magical football pissing it all the way as some portray. We went second over Xmas time to Dundee Utd.

GreenNWhiteArmy
25-04-2019, 09:50 AM
I never said wipe it out, I’m saying it was a lot lot harder to win with they teams there than it was with them not there.

Second season rangers where still in the league had a new manager and spent a lot more, again a lot harder than the third season down there.

Leagues with Hearts and Rangers with one going up is a lot harder to win than without them. Especially as the first season we came second to the team who won the league with record points.

Lennon done a good job and grateful he managed to take us up. We struggled in whole that season to go up though it wasn’t all magical football pissing it all the way as some portray. We went second over Xmas time to Dundee Utd.

That first season, Rangers were there in name only. Were they any better than what Dundee United were for example in the third season? Open to debate I'd say.

I acknowledged that the season under lennon was not pretty but it's exactly the style of play that many lamented Stubbs' side for. Any number of stats can be pulled out to back either side though

I don't have a side I favour btw, as I said each of the 3 seasons had unique circumstances and I enjoyed them all more than I did most since Mowbray.

My overall point is that he achieved "job done" status from the season in the championship but the league imo was more rounded and not quite the doddle it's being made out. Certainly no messiah though

J-C
25-04-2019, 10:34 AM
No he wasn't....that's a myth...in fact in a recent interview LD confirmed she actually travelled down to England to try to get him to change his mind.

She might have done but his wife had a lot to do with it 😉

Iggy Pope
25-04-2019, 11:23 AM
I take it you are aiming your post at HFCEighteen75. Im off the opinion that winning a league is better than not winning it

I was. And me too. I fell asleep though .

Keith_M
25-04-2019, 01:27 PM
Lennon got Hibs promoted from The Championship, for which I was very grateful. If Stubbs had stayed, he would also have got us promoted...almost guaranteed with no Hearts and Rangers in the league plus a Falkirk team on the slide.

Lennon helped Hibs to a record points total, but appeared to lose it after the Hearts match at the end of the season and, IMO, he wasn't quite the same after that.

I enjoyed the Championship win, and especially enjoyed last season, but I wasn't exactly heartbroken by the time he left... as we were going downhill rapidly and it seemed to have become 'The Lennon Show'.

WhileTheChief..
25-04-2019, 02:28 PM
How was the Championship easier for Lennon to win?

I read on here that it was the worst Hearts and Rangers teams ever when they were in that league.

Every week I was being told that Hearts would crumble and that we would catch them cause they were total gash.

So really the league was tougher cause these two totally rank teams were replaced by better!

Since452
25-04-2019, 04:29 PM
Lennon got Hibs promoted from The Championship, for which I was very grateful. If Stubbs had stayed, he would also have got us promoted...almost guaranteed with no Hearts and Rangers in the league plus a Falkirk team on the slide.

Lennon helped Hibs to a record points total, but appeared to lose it after the Hearts match at the end of the season and, IMO, he wasn't quite the same after that.

I enjoyed the Championship win, and especially enjoyed last season, but I wasn't exactly heartbroken by the time he left... as we were going downhill rapidly and it seemed to have become 'The Lennon Show'.

Could have written that myself. Exactly how i feel.