PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Celtic 21 04 19)

Jonnyboy
21-04-2019, 04:24 PM
Nine in a row might sound the kind of thing Celtic fans have been saying but after a pulsating ninety minutes at Easter Road today it was the turn of the Hibs fans to celebrate the fact that since his arrival, Paul Heckingbottom has steered his side to nine league games without defeat. That is no mean achievement as Hecky has had to realise it with players who were already at the club. I did wonder fleetingly, what Neil Lennon made of this Hibs side as when he left they were nowhere near the outfit they are now.

For a 0-0 draw it was certainly an exciting game and it was Hibs that came out of the traps the fastest. Horgan forced a save from Bain, who couldn’t hold the shot and had to grab the ball at the second attempt. Moments later, Horgan turned provider when he found space on the Hibs right and fired the ball across the face of the six yard box where Omeonga was mere inches from a connection that would have brought a goal. Omeonga was soon at it again after taking a pass from Horgan and firing a dipping shot at goal which Bain scrambled round the post for a corner. At the other end, Edouard was allowed the space and time to swivel and get a shot away but he missed the target. All of this took place in the opening ten minutes such was the energy on display from both sides.

Still Hibs pressed forward and Mallan’s effort might have caused Bain a problem had the Hibs man not slipped as he got the shot away. Next, McNulty cushioned a header to Hanlon but the defender shot over the bar from about ten yards out. To be fair to Celtic they weathered the storm and began to build play from the midfield but I have to say that the usual domination of that area by Scott Brown was severely curtailed by Omeonga who didn’t give the former Hibs man a moment’s peace. Hibs used a high press and on more occasions than their manager would have liked, Celtic were forced to go backwards.

As the half hour approached it took a quite magnificent save by Marciano to stop Ntcham opening the scoring. The Celtic man hit a wonderful strike that looked destined to open the scoring but Rocky flew across his goal to tip the ball over the bar. The visitors finished the half strongly and Marciano had to be alert again to keep out a Lustig effort and then the Hibs keeper could only look on as Hayes struck a shot that drifted just wide of the far post.

The half time interval gave the players the chance to catch their breath but no sooner had the second forty five begun than we were back into high tempo play from both sides. McNulty dragged a shot wide and then Bain was on hand to field a shot from Kamberi. The sixtieth minute stood out for me because our magnificent Scottish Cup winning captain launched into a tackle on Scott Brown that had the home fans roaring. So often the ‘giver’ of such challenges Brown, to his credit just got up and got on with it. Not so Michael Lustig who squealed like a pig and went down thrashing his arms in the air as though a fifty fifty challenge from Mallan, in which the Hibs man clearly won the ball, had injured him severely. Referee Nick Walsh bought into the theatrics and booked Mallan at which point Lustig who did not require treatment stood up to take the free kick before scampering down the right wing.

Just quite how Celtic didn’t take the lead is a mystery as a low driven cross by Forrest was missed by Daz only for the ball to hit off Edouard and sky over the bar. It was a let off but had the goal gone in it would have been cruel on the big Hibs defender who’d had a fine game. At the other end, McNulty was hugely unlucky when his effort struck Bain who had simply spread himself. Had the ball gone low it would have been 1-0 but the break didn’t go the way of the Hibs man on this occasion. Oli Shaw then found space on the left edge of Celtic’s box but inexplicably decided to turn back when he had a chance to get a shot away had he gone forward instead.

As the game moved towards the end of the ninety and beginning of the five added minutes, Marciano produced two further quality saves to deny Edouard and Simunovic before Hibs finished on the front foot by forcing Celtic to defend deep. It was a cracking game of football and clearly impressed the Hibs head coach whose interview I heard on the way home. Hecky was measured, realistic and obviously proud of his players and rightly so.

The players

Rocky – I cannot praise the guy enough as he was absolutely superb with a string of wonderful saves but there was more than that today. He commanded his area and but for one lack of judgement when he came for a cross he was never going to get near his performance wins him my man of the match award.

SDG – Our captain was superb throughout and led by example with that tackle on Brown proving immensely popular with the home fans. I know there has been conjecture about his future but for me it’s a no brainer as we never play as well when he’s not on the pitch.

Daz – I joked today that being marked and tackled by Daz must be how it feels if you get mugged. He never gives opponents an inch and his physicality is quite superb. The Celtic strikers cost their club a few quid and we signed Daz on a free. No contest today as to which of those impressed the most.

Paul – For the most part he was fine but there were a couple of lapses of concentration that might have cost us dear.

Lewis – Solid as a rock and not for the first time James Forrest was hooked before the end having failed to get the better of his marker. He made a couple of very timely interceptions and a couple of excellent deliveries into the Celtic box as well as nullifying Forrest.

Daryl – The star of the recent Hearts defeat started the game very brightly but as time wore on I felt he was drifting a bit. His early shot, with his ‘wrong’ foot certainly had Bain scrambling.

Millsy – Not one of his better games he was guilty of being caught in possession too often and was too slow to see the forward pass that might have opened Celtic up.

Stevie – Worked his socks off and tried very hard to get his team mates up the park. The one occasion when an opportunity arose for him to send in a rocket shot kinda fizzled out when he slipped as he struck the ball.

Stephane – I thought he was superb today and was largely responsible for the midfield anonymity of Scott Brown as well as getting forward to support Sparky when he could.

Sparky – Once again his movement was superb and he’s quite willing to mix if physically too. I was quite concerned at his late injury as he seemed to be clutching his hamstring but he finished the game which was good news.

Flo – I confess I’m beginning to lose patience with Flo as I feel his game is kinda going backwards whilst everyone else seems to be improving. I wish I had a quid for every time he was caught on his heels today.

Slivka – Replaced Milligan and got involved from the start but wasn’t really able to provide the midfield spark that might have opened them up.

Oli – A baffling decision when he cut back instead of heading for goal but he looked at home in the wide left berth vacated by Kamberi.

Thomas – I thought everything was set up for him to hurt a tiring Celtic with his pace but the opportunity to do so never really arose.

Hecky – His message to the players is clearly having a positive effect as they are organised, very hard to break down and most crucially are playing with their heads up.

The fans – Yet another fantastic turnout on a lovely spring afternoon with the two ‘competing’ singing sections giving it laldy throughout.

The ref – I think Nick Walsh booked five Hibs players and having only seen each incident live I have to say I thought Mallan and Omeonga were unlucky to receive cards. Hanlon, Stevenson and Kamberi can have no complaints.

Posh Hibby
21-04-2019, 04:53 PM
Good write up as usual! Agree with most. Marciano was superb.

Thought the only poor performance today was Kamberi who it just isn't happening for. If we had another proper fit winger I think he would have lost his starting place.

Hibeewilly
21-04-2019, 04:58 PM
Nine in a row might sound the kind of thing Celtic fans have been saying but after a pulsating ninety minutes at Easter Road today it was the turn of the Hibs fans to celebrate the fact that since his arrival, Paul Heckingbottom has steered his side to nine league games without defeat. That is no mean achievement as Hecky has had to realise it with players who were already at the club. I did wonder fleetingly, what Neil Lennon made of this Hibs side as when he left they were nowhere near the outfit they are now.

For a 0-0 draw it was certainly an exciting game and it was Hibs that came out of the traps the fastest. Horgan forced a save from Bain, who couldn’t hold the shot and had to grab the ball at the second attempt. Moments later, Horgan turned provider when he found space on the Hibs right and fired the ball across the face of the six yard box where Omeonga was mere inches from a connection that would have brought a goal. Omeonga was soon at it again after taking a pass from Horgan and firing a dipping shot at goal which Bain scrambled round the post for a corner. At the other end, Edouard was allowed the space and time to swivel and get a shot away but he missed the target. All of this took place in the opening ten minutes such was the energy on display from both sides.

Still Hibs pressed forward and Mallan’s effort might have caused Bain a problem had the Hibs man not slipped as he got the shot away. Next, McNulty cushioned a header to Hanlon but the defender shot over the bar from about ten yards out. To be fair to Celtic they weathered the storm and began to build play from the midfield but I have to say that the usual domination of that area by Scott Brown was severely curtailed by Omeonga who didn’t give the former Hibs man a moment’s peace. Hibs used a high press and on more occasions than their manager would have liked, Celtic were forced to go backwards.

As the half hour approached it took a quite magnificent save by Marciano to stop Ntcham opening the scoring. The Celtic man hit a wonderful strike that looked destined to open the scoring but Rocky flew across his goal to tip the ball over the bar. The visitors finished the half strongly and Marciano had to be alert again to keep out a Lustig effort and then the Hibs keeper could only look on as Hayes struck a shot that drifted just wide of the far post.

The half time interval gave the players the chance to catch their breath but no sooner had the second forty five begun than we were back into high tempo play from both sides. McNulty dragged a shot wide and then Bain was on hand to field a shot from Kamberi. The sixtieth minute stood out for me because our magnificent Scottish Cup winning captain launched into a tackle on Scott Brown that had the home fans roaring. So often the ‘giver’ of such challenges Brown, to his credit just got up and got on with it. Not so Michael Lustig who squealed like a pig and went down thrashing his arms in the air as though a fifty fifty challenge from Mallan, in which the Hibs man clearly won the ball, had injured him severely. Referee Nick Walsh bought into the theatrics and booked Mallan at which point Lustig who did not require treatment stood up to take the free kick before scampering down the right wing.

Just quite how Celtic didn’t take the lead is a mystery as a low driven cross by Forrest was missed by Daz only for the ball to hit off Edouard and sky over the bar. It was a let off but had the goal gone in it would have been cruel on the big Hibs defender who’d had a fine game. At the other end, McNulty was hugely unlucky when his effort struck Bain who had simply spread himself. Had the ball gone low it would have been 1-0 but the break didn’t go the way of the Hibs man on this occasion. Oli Shaw then found space on the left edge of Celtic’s box but inexplicably decided to turn back when he had a chance to get a shot away had he gone forward instead.

As the game moved towards the end of the ninety and beginning of the five added minutes, Marciano produced two further quality saves to deny Edouard and Simunovic before Hibs finished on the front foot by forcing Celtic to defend deep. It was a cracking game of football and clearly impressed the Hibs head coach whose interview I heard on the way home. Hecky was measured, realistic and obviously proud of his players and rightly so.

The players

Rocky – I cannot praise the guy enough as he was absolutely superb with a string of wonderful saves but there was more than that today. He commanded his area and but for one lack of judgement when he came for a cross he was never going to get near his performance wins him my man of the match award.

SDG – Our captain was superb throughout and led by example with that tackle on Brown proving immensely popular with the home fans. I know there has been conjecture about his future but for me it’s a no brainer as we never play as well when he’s not on the pitch.

Daz – I joked today that being marked and tackled by Daz must be how it feels if you get mugged. He never gives opponents an inch and his physicality is quite superb. The Celtic strikers cost their club a few quid and we signed Daz on a free. No contest today as to which of those impressed the most.

Paul – For the most part he was fine but there were a couple of lapses of concentration that might have cost us dear.

Lewis – Solid as a rock and not for the first time James Forrest was hooked before the end having failed to get the better of his marker. He made a couple of very timely interceptions and a couple of excellent deliveries into the Celtic box as well as nullifying Forrest.

Daryl – The star of the recent Hearts defeat started the game very brightly but as time wore on I felt he was drifting a bit. His early shot, with his ‘wrong’ foot certainly had Bain scrambling.

Millsy – Not one of his better games he was guilty of being caught in possession too often and was too slow to see the forward pass that might have opened Celtic up.

Stevie – Worked his socks off and tried very hard to get his team mates up the park. The one occasion when an opportunity arose for him to send in a rocket shot kinda fizzled out when he slipped as he struck the ball.

Stephane – I thought he was superb today and was largely responsible for the midfield anonymity of Scott Brown as well as getting forward to support Sparky when he could.

Sparky – Once again his movement was superb and he’s quite willing to mix if physically too. I was quite concerned at his late injury as he seemed to be clutching his hamstring but he finished the game which was good news.

Flo – I confess I’m beginning to lose patience with Flo as I feel his game is kinda going backwards whilst everyone else seems to be improving. I wish I had a quid for every time he was caught on his heels today.

Slivka – Replaced Milligan and got involved from the start but wasn’t really able to provide the midfield spark that might have opened them up.

Oli – A baffling decision when he cut back instead of heading for goal but he looked at home in the wide left berth vacated by Kamberi.

Thomas – I thought everything was set up for him to hurt a tiring Celtic with his pace but the opportunity to do so never really arose.

Hecky – His message to the players is clearly having a positive effect as they are organised, very hard to break down and most crucially are playing with their heads up.

The fans – Yet another fantastic turnout on a lovely spring afternoon with the two ‘competing’ singing sections giving it laldy throughout.

The ref – I think Nick Walsh booked five Hibs players and having only seen each incident live I have to say I thought Mallan and Omeonga were unlucky to receive cards. Hanlon, Stevenson and Kamberi can have no complaints.
Kamberi needs his arse kicked....totally needless booking …...he should never have got involved. I'll be surprised if he's here next year. I thought as a poster said on another thread that he looked disinterested. Poor performance from him

Brightside
21-04-2019, 05:14 PM
I thought the back 4 were great today. no issue with any of them. Milligan cannot pass a ball but doe the blocker role well. We really need a proper CDM for next year. Rest of the midfield played well. Kamberi is never a left high ned in his life but continues to do what is asked of him. Very good team performance for me. we could have nicked it. Stephan v Brown was great to watch.

Eyrie
21-04-2019, 05:15 PM

Omeonga's looked a booking live to me, although having seen TV replays there was minimal contact. The Mallan decision was a shocker.

Other one that the ref got wrong was not booking Hayes for a blatant dive early in the game.

calumhibee1
21-04-2019, 05:16 PM
Kamberi needs his arse kicked....totally needless booking …...he should never have got involved. I'll be surprised if he's here next year. I thought as a poster said on another thread that he looked disinterested. Poor performance from him

Was never a booking. If you’re going to book players for what was a not particularly aggressive push then you’d be booking 10 a game.

Hibeewilly
21-04-2019, 05:21 PM
Was never a booking. If you’re going to book players for what was a not particularly aggressive push then you’d be booking 10 a game.
From where I was sitting in the East he had to move two or three yards to push Brown...….he wasn't involved....all day long a booking IMO. Pure stupidity

Eyrie
21-04-2019, 05:22 PM

The difference was that Kamberi ran from some distance to push Brown in the back, rather than reacting as the victim of a Brown tackle.

Fuzzywuzzy
21-04-2019, 05:32 PM
Omeonga's looked a booking live to me, although having seen TV replays there was minimal contact. The Mallan decision was a shocker.

Other one that the ref got wrong was not booking Hayes for a blatant dive early in the game.

Ref also missed a blatant pass back. Ref was absolutely woeful today.

Bangkok Hibby
21-04-2019, 06:52 PM
Ref also missed a blatant pass back. Ref was absolutely woeful today.

"Blatantly" from the Celtic player's knee. The passback rule is a bit vague but isnt this allowed?

Hermit Crab
21-04-2019, 06:53 PM
The Mallan booking is one of the worst decisions I've seen in a Hibs game this season, brilliant tackle, clean and fair but the ref fell for Lustigs acting like his leg had just fallen off. Cheating prick.

Hermit Crab
21-04-2019, 06:53 PM
"Blatantly" from the Celtic player's knee. The passback rule is a bit vague but isnt this allowed?

Knee back to the keeper is allowed, nothing wrong with it.

Fuzzywuzzy
21-04-2019, 07:00 PM

From where I was sitting it looked like his foot. I'm middle aged with ***** eyesight though

greenlex
21-04-2019, 07:17 PM
Having only seen the Mallan challenge live I thought a booking wasn’t out of place. He won the ball but his studs were up and wasn’t really in control. Lustig was embarrassing tho. Fellow pro? Prick.

BILLYHIBS
21-04-2019, 07:42 PM
Brilliant Johnny back on form I even agree with your MOM award

You are spot on with Kamberi looked a waste of a jersey today slow and cumbersome going about his business

AFKA5814_Hibs
21-04-2019, 07:44 PM
Kamberi was stupid to get his yellow, no need.

BILLYHIBS
21-04-2019, 07:49 PM
Having only seen the Mallan challenge live I thought a booking wasn’t out of place. He won the ball but his studs were up and wasn’t really in control. Lustig was embarrassing tho. Fellow pro? Prick.

Pleased that Mallan is starting to put in them challenges

Unlucky to get booked

Celtic player suckered the Ref

**** all wrong with him

Haring down the right wing thirty seconds later

Iggy Pope
21-04-2019, 07:57 PM
Brilliant Johnny back on form I even agree with your MOM award

You are spot on with Kamberi looked a waste of a jersey today slow and cumbersome going about his business

Developing into a proper Hibs.net cliche this one. Waste of bandwidth probably more accurate.

Blaster
21-04-2019, 08:06 PM
I thought the back 4 were great today. no issue with any of them. Milligan cannot pass a ball but doe the blocker role well. We really need a proper CDM for next year. Rest of the midfield played well. Kamberi is never a left high ned in his life but continues to do what is asked of him. Very good team performance for me. we could have nicked it. Stephan v Brown was great to watch.

Milligan played better than Hanlon today. A few stray passes for a change from Milligan but thought Hanlon was slack at times

MWHIBBIES
21-04-2019, 08:06 PM
Nothing wrong with Kamberi's booking. Done what everyone invested in that game wanted to do. Brown elbowed Omeonga before it.

BILLYHIBS
21-04-2019, 08:08 PM
Developing into a proper Hibs.net cliche this one. Waste of bandwidth probably more accurate.

The quote actually came from my mate a Dundee fan a neutral observer when I asked him about Kamberis performance today

But yes you are correct it concurs with the fat and lazy shouts I heard all about me today but I have to admit a poor performance

Is he worth a start next year or can we do better in the transfer market as PH has hinted at?

Olly certainly showed a lot more energy wide left and might have nicked it late on but chose a wrong option when first off the bench cutting the ball back when a more direct approach might have paid dividends ?

Iggy Pope
21-04-2019, 08:15 PM
The quote actually came from my mate a Dundee fan a neutral observer when I asked him about Kamberis performance today

But yes you are correct it concurs with the fat and lazy shouts I heard all about me today but I have to admit a poor performance

Is he worth a start next year or can we do better in the transfer market as PH has hinted at?

Olly certainly showed a lot more energy wide left and might have nicked it late on but chose a wrong option when first off the bench cutting the ball back when a more direct approach might have paid dividends ?

That’s just odd that you post stuff that other bams supporting lesser sides fill your head with.
Anyway, Kamberi worked hard today I thought, and I don’t think for a minute he is playing in his preferred position. Do you?
As for fat and lazy. Christ, that is bollox.
Oli should have scored. Twice.

BILLYHIBS
21-04-2019, 08:27 PM
That’s just odd that you post stuff that other bams supporting lesser sides fill your head with.
Anyway, Kamberi worked hard today I thought, and I don’t think for a minute he is playing in his preferred position. Do you?

The fat and lazy came from shouts around me

My friends independent neutral view confirmed my own thoughts

Even Flo would admit he was pants today

It is the reason he got hooked

I also said a more direct approach from Oli might have produced dividends

Yes he might have should have scored two

At least he was in the positions situations being active

Flos touch eye to ball coordination awareness of what is going on about him seems to have deserted him and has an over reliance on stupid flicks into space to no one in particular giving away possession

You are correct he does need a bigger pants waist band

Will be surprised if he is still here next season under Hecky

Mibbes Aye
21-04-2019, 08:30 PM

While Flo didn't get much for his highlights tape, I think you are right. He worked hard and was often tracking back at pace and tackling or challenging, twenty yards from the Hibs goal line. He put a shift in tactically, helping counter Celtc. The flipside was he wasn't able to contribute offensively in the way he would like (the shove on Brown excluded :greengrin).

Having seen Shaw's 'chances' a few times now, I'm inclined to forgive.

The first chance, when he was superbly fed in to the left was tricky. He couldn't easily take it on his right foot without going off-balance and shooting well wide. He couldn't let it run onto his left for a snap shot as neither he or the ball had the pace and momentum to make for an effective shot, which was required to beat the keeper on the inside.

The chance at the end was a flurry. Bain did the right thing as a GK and made it very difficult.

roo62
21-04-2019, 08:44 PM
The fat and lazy came from shouts around me

My friends independent neutral view confirmed my own thoughts

Even Flo would admit he was pants today

It is the reason he got hooked

I also said a more direct approach from Oli might have produced dividends

Yes he might have should have scored two

At least he was in the positions situations being active

Flos touch eye to ball coordination awareness of what is going on about him seems to have deserted him and has an over reliance on stupid flicks into space to no one in particular giving away possession

You are correct he does need a bigger pants waist band

Will be surprised if he is still here next season under Hecky
Wonder if it would work better if Mcnulty was played wider and Flo was up top? Look at the movement and pass from Mcnulty for our first goal against Hearts. He seems more adaptable than Flo. Kamberi has stopped being a goal threat out wide these days and has more of a physical threat to defenders than Mcnulty. Just a thought.

BILLYHIBS
21-04-2019, 08:48 PM
Wonder if it would work better if Mcnulty was played wider and Flo was up top? Look at the movement and pass from Mcnulty for our first goal against Hearts. He seems more adaptable than Flo. Kamberi has stopped being a goal threat out wide these days and has more of a physical threat to defenders than Mcnulty. Just a thought.

:aok:

Maybe the old Eddie Turnbull Ropeadope of swapping over midgame

roo62
21-04-2019, 08:53 PM
Aye its just that Kamberi is an easy target now for stick in his current position. Heck must see that too. Rather see him and mcnulty as goal threats as opposed to him being dropped for being played out of his comfort zone.

Shrekko
21-04-2019, 09:06 PM
Aye its just that Kamberi is an easy target now for stick in his current position. Heck must see that too. Rather see him and mcnulty as goal threats as opposed to him being dropped for being played out of his comfort zone.

He’s played well there most weeks and it’s his original position. Hecky has stated that so goodness knows why folk are bringing this up.

I think the new manager knows how to get the best out of his players... results and performance certainly suggest he does!

Sometimes guys don’t perform - he’s hit and miss which we all know no matter where he plays. It didn’t happen today and he got taken off but he’ll start next week.

roo62
21-04-2019, 09:19 PM
He’s played well there most weeks and it’s his original position. Hecky has stated that so goodness knows why folk are bringing this up.

I think the new manager knows how to get the best out of his players... results and performance certainly suggest he does!

Sometimes guys don’t perform - he’s hit and miss which we all know no matter where he plays. It didn’t happen today and he got taken off but he’ll start next week.

It might be his original position but it is definitely not his best position. Last season he was a real goal threat and a handful for defences. He is never a wide player in a million years... I hope Hecky mixes it up a bit with him and Mcnulty before the end of the season.

BILLYHIBS
21-04-2019, 09:35 PM
Milligan played better than Hanlon today. A few stray passes for a change from Milligan but thought Hanlon was slack at times

Seems to have crept into Hanlons game this season one slack moment one lapse of concentration every game

:confused:

basehibby
22-04-2019, 12:58 AM
It might be his original position but it is definitely not his best position. Last season he was a real goal threat and a handful for defences. He is never a wide player in a million years... I hope Hecky mixes it up a bit with him and Mcnulty before the end of the season.

He has and he will

NAE NOOKIE
22-04-2019, 10:05 AM
That was a great battling performance from the whole team yesterday and one of the more entertaining 0 - 0 games I've seen at Easter Road.

Marciano …. 9 ….. Barely put a foot wrong in the whole game, a couple of dodgy bits of distribution aside, but made several blinding saves .. deserved MOM and a nice gesture at the end giving his top to a fan.

Gray …. 8.5 …. Hard to believe I couldn't give him MOM after that performance, but what a battler and his cruncher on Brown was one of the days highlights.

McGregor … 8 …. Made life extremely difficult for the Celtic attack and yet another super performance on the back of a great game at Tynecastle.

Hanlon … 7 …. Two or three dodgy moments, but contributed as much as anybody to Hibs keeping a clean sheet.

Stevenson …. 8 …. I though Lewis had an excellent game, Forrest must be getting fed up failing to get the better of him in game after game and ending up being subbed.

Milligan …. 7 …. Did his defensive duties well, but his distribution was woeful at times and he was caught in possession too often. As another poster pointed out he didn't see a few chances he had to get us forward with a long pass, something I've noticed about him in other games and I'm beginning to think he doesn't have the confidence to try a long pass for some reason … either that or he has dodgy eyesight.

Mallan … 8 …. This was one of those games where he looked really up for it and for all that he didn't get many chances to strike at goal he got involved as much as I've seen him … delighted to see him fully commit to a challenge where he could have got hurt, turns out the lad has baws after all … from where I was he won the ball and if he was booked for the force of his challenge then why wasn't the Celtic player who didn't hold back either?

Omeonga … 8 …. He had two great chances to open up Celtic, the first one which in my opinion would have given McNulty a certain goal was nothing less than a fantastic interception by the Celtic defender, the second was just badly under hit, I bet he wishes he could have the chance back. That aside he worked his arse off … again … and did more than anybody to stop Brown running the game the way he likes to … I would love us to get him back for next season, as good an attitude as I've seen from a loan player since Liam Henderson.

Horgan …. 7 …. Started well and worked really hard without getting the breaks … I would say that at times he doesn't make the right movement and that prevents the likes of Gray from playing him in, he seems to want to come short for the ball rather than looking for the run in behind.

McNulty … 8 … It was a hard shift for him against two centre halves on his own most of the time, but he never gave either one a moments peace and some of his movement was really good, on another day he could have got a goal.

Kamberi …. 6 …. His contribution in an attacking sense was minimal, but I think its unfair to say he didn't look interested, I thought he worked hard enough and since Heckingbottom arrived his commitment to his defensive duties has been noticeable as it was yesterday. Picked up a daft booking, but on the other hand it was good to see him coming to the defence of his team mates :greengrin

SUBS:

Shaw …. 5 …. Got a bit of stick for not taking on a shot when it looked like he was in, but I had a perfect view and it looked like he was off balance and couldn't sort his feet out in time … it probably looked worse because he then passed the ball straight to a Celtic player leaving about 6 Hibs players stranded up the park. Showed plenty of guts in his attempt to score near the end, it was brave by Bain in the Celtic goal who put his body on the line to stop him and McNulty.

Slivka …. 4 …. Did fine when he came on without making a huge difference.

Agyepong … 3 …. I was really pleased to see him come on, but unfortunately he didn't get too many opportunities to run at the Celtic defence.

Heckingbottom …… 8 …. Performing way beyond my expectations, long may it continue. The only criticism I have is the same as the one I had in the cup game, when the opposition have a corner I wish he would leave at least one player up the park, though to be fair near the end he did appear to do that.

The ref …. Gave us barely anything and was hasty booking Omeonga for what I thought was a genuine attempt to win the ball and totally wrong to book Mallan who even from where I was in the FF won the ball in a 50/50 challenge where both players entered it with equal force … it didn't help that the Celtic player made out he had been injured when he clearly hadn't been. I also thought the back pass he ignored was from the defenders foot and not his knee and should have been a free kick to Hibs.

Jonnyboy
22-04-2019, 08:33 PM

:agree: