PDA

View Full Version : Heckingbottom

AugustaHibs
21-04-2019, 01:54 PM
Genius. Set the team up perfectly. Strong defensively but also got in their face and imo done enough to win it

calumhibee1
21-04-2019, 01:56 PM
Genius. Set the team up perfectly. Strong defensively but also got in their face and imo done enough to win it

I’m not sure I’d say we deserved to win but we played very well. Game plan was executed to perfection.

Hibeesmad
21-04-2019, 01:56 PM
Still undefeated in the league, brilliant!

AugustaHibs
21-04-2019, 01:58 PM
I’m not sure I’d say we deserved to win but we played very well. Game plan was executed to perfection.

Aye I probably miss worded it. I more meant that we had enough chances to win. Celtic probably had more but we definitely went forward enough

Since452
21-04-2019, 01:59 PM
You can't fluke 9 undefeated league games at this stage of the season. Very impressive.

ozwoody
21-04-2019, 02:03 PM
To beat a 71 year old managerial record and overtaking the great Hugh Shaw is no mean feat with the team he walked into.
He deserves all the plaudits on what he has achieved so far.

hibbydad
21-04-2019, 02:03 PM
Brilliant manager in comparison to Lennon

dmc1875
21-04-2019, 02:05 PM

Have a word - that’s a stupid statement to make. He’s had a brilliant start but people have short memories - last season was some of the best football we have seen - the European games were great and he won us the championship on his first attempt.

ozwoody
21-04-2019, 02:06 PM
I would suggest he bossed our previous manager today and schooled him tactical wise

Diclonius
21-04-2019, 02:12 PM
A much better performance than the Scottish Cup game. Set up to go at them and for a good while had Lennon reeling. Imagine if we'd scored!

Since452
21-04-2019, 02:13 PM
Have a word - that’s a stupid statement to make. He’s had a brilliant start but people have short memories - last season was some of the best football we have seen - the European games were great and he won us the championship on his first attempt.

First half of last season was bang average until Kamberi, Maclaren and Allan came in January. The Championship season was turgid for the vast majority and it was a far weaker league than in Stubbs time. He was brought in to win it and he did to be fair and like you say i really enjoyed the second half of last season. Don't miss the circus that comes with Lennon.

ozwoody

I'm not sure it is a stupid statement and you are correct in people having short memories...this was a guy that got us out of the championship and into Europe correct, he also threatened to resign after a game at tynie, allegedly argued with our chairman and had us in 8th place with 2 wins in 14.
PH has got 21 points out of 27, 5th place and a chance of 4th.
I know who I would want for the rest of season

makaveli1875
looks like he learned from the cup defeat . Great performance and unlucky not to have scored with Shaw .

Brightside
21-04-2019, 02:14 PM
Lennon is miles behind him tactically. That much talent and a very one dimensional performance from Celtic.

hibbydad
21-04-2019, 02:14 PM
Well DMC77 look at Lennon's performance this year very poor and shocking man management particularily with Flo not to mention the totally bizarre team selections. Not a stupid comment try speaking to some of the players about Hecky they have totally bought into him

dmc1875
21-04-2019, 02:15 PM
Well DMC77 look at Lennon's performance this year very poor and shocking man management particularily with Flo not to mention the totally bizarre team selections. Not a stupid comment try speaking to some of the players about Hecky they have totally bought into him

This year he lost the plot - but the championship season we got out the division which Stubbs couldn’t do and last season, yes mostly the second half was a complete joy to watch.

If you had said heck beat him tactically today I would obviously agree.

Hibs4185
21-04-2019, 02:16 PM
I would suggest he bossed our previous manager today and schooled him tactical wise

Listened to radio Scotland after the game and they said Lennon’s tactics were to deploy wingers and get crosses into the box. The same as he did here with Boyle. I think Lennon is a bit of a dinosaur in that he has beliefs and sticks to them. Heckingbottom seems to adapt to suit every game and changes it during he games. I’d def agree that Heckingbottom schooled Lennon today

hibbydad
21-04-2019, 02:19 PM
dmc 1875 I agree about the second half of last season but in truth Hecky is miles ahead of him both tactically and also in management skills

ozwoody
21-04-2019, 02:23 PM
Listened to radio Scotland after the game and they said Lennon’s tactics were to deploy wingers and get crosses into the box. The same as he did here with Boyle. I think Lennon is a bit of a dinosaur in that he has beliefs and sticks to them. Heckingbottom seems to adapt to suit every game and changes it during he games. I’d def agree that Heckingbottom schooled Lennon today

I believe the big difference is that PH is keen to study and improve, both himself and the players, our previous boss thinks he knows it all.
The players are buying into the philosophy that PH is bringing in and you can see that on the pitch.
our previous boss tried to bully and criticise them , and no one will respond positively to that.

we are hibs
21-04-2019, 02:26 PM

Lennon is a wee arse. Having a go at Mallan when he won the ball against lustig. Any hibs fans still with their tounges up his arse need to get a grip.

Tug Wilson
21-04-2019, 02:28 PM
The great thing is that since Hecky came in every game has been a pressure game. To start with it was to win to stop us sliding further down the league. Then it was to ensure top 6. Then overhaul Hearts. And now to chased down Kilmarnock and a potential European spot. He has coped with it all.

The team seems to be set up more professionally and more tactically aware. In a short space of time he has improved the team quite dramatically. I think part of that is that the squad was better than Lennon had us playing so Heckingbottom just tapped into that. But also he seems to be a better fit for Hibs. We will never be able to buy in ready made quality players. It will be about bringing some players through the youth set up, picking up potential quality from lower league or reserve teams and occasionally signing the odd top class older player who is stepping down a level.

I suspect Heckingbottom will be better at promoting youth, we have a good recruitment set up for picking up the rough diamonds and PH can polish them into class players. And I even think that he will be able to handle the older players without making it a personality thing.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
21-04-2019, 02:40 PM

Looks to me that the team is more organised under Hecky. And when he gets wee Tam and Boyler back he'll have even more options.

And then Scotty in next season. Feeling positive!

Moulin Yarns
21-04-2019, 02:42 PM

Then he F ucked itup

Since452
21-04-2019, 02:42 PM
I can see a shed load of season tickets being sold again. Leeann has unearthed a gem.

heretoday
21-04-2019, 02:44 PM
Heck means business all right.

CMac1988
21-04-2019, 02:46 PM
I can see a shed load of season tickets being sold again. Leeann has unearthed a gem.

Should get her involved in recruiting players also!

Hibs90
21-04-2019, 02:57 PM
Should get her involved in recruiting players also!

:greengrin

Marvellous
21-04-2019, 02:59 PM
Lennon is a wee arse. Having a go at Mallan when he won the ball against lustig. Any hibs fans still with their tounges up his arse need to get a grip.

Oh no. I hope Mallan was OK and that no swearing was used.

CapitalGreen
21-04-2019, 03:03 PM

Lennon has a good run of 13 games last season. Prior to that was pretty dire requiring us to bring in Allan, McLaren and Kamberi.

wookie70
21-04-2019, 03:04 PM

Heckingbottom is managing to get as many points with the unbalanced, out of form and mismanaged squad he walked into as Lennon has since he joined a team miles ahead in the league, playing lovely football to that point and having won the last 7 domestic trophies on the bounce. Heckingbottom is a good bit ahead of Lennon when it comes to setting a team up and getting them playing for each other from the evidence so far and the success Lennon had towards the end of last season came from happening across a formula and managing to avoid messing with it for a while. When he did tinker at Tynecastle he made things worse. Heck has us solid and organised and hopefully he can expand on that when he gets players in over the summer. He has done incredibly well in his short tenure so far and I suspect he won't be here for longer than a couple of seasons as he will move on to bigger things down south.

JohnM1875
21-04-2019, 03:09 PM
Can't just be me that reads every PH as Paul Hanlon right? haha.

In regards to Hecky, the guy just seems to have it, glad we have him! Imagine Celtic bin Lennon then approach us for Hecky!! :devil:

GreenCastle
21-04-2019, 03:10 PM
What a start and record.

You know what we are getting with him.

Players working extremely hard - decent shape - attacking players with some freedom.

Long may it continue - we 100% wouldn’t be in top 6 if we hadn’t changed manager as much as I liked Lennon.

Northernhibee
21-04-2019, 03:11 PM
The championship season was comparable with the year before points wise in a much easier league, he was saved by his loan signings in the winter window last year and he was in the stand for the European games (bar being pumped 3-0). This season was in parts as bad as under Butcher.

Lennon tinted glasses off, he was IMO not quite a failure here but let’s face it, if Flo, MacLaren and Allan hadn’t gelled like they had in the winter he likely would have been and even still, a collapse in the season with abject performances at Pittodrie and Tynecastle saw us finish fourth when second was possible.

The “them and us” mentality he relies on made some people on here gooey eyed about him but what was on the pitch rarely ever came close to the hyperbole other than that half a season.

We have made a huge step forward. Put it this way, anyone expecting in January that we’d be fighting for Europe?

WhileTheChief..
21-04-2019, 03:16 PM
I like Heckingbottom but still like what Lennon did for us.

Last season was brilliant at ER.

There were plenty of fun and exciting times and I’m not about to write them off or forget about them just cause Lennon is away.

He was my fav ever Hibs manager. I hope I can say the same about PH when he leaves us.

we are hibs
21-04-2019, 03:25 PM

Did you even see it? Clown.

Marvellous
21-04-2019, 03:37 PM
Did you even see it? Clown.

No I covered my ears and closed my eyes when I saw Lennon leave the dugout because I didn't want to experience any bad language.

heidtheba
21-04-2019, 03:38 PM
looks like he learned from the cup defeat . Great performance and unlucky not to have scored with Shaw .

He seems like a manager who actually 'learns' and responds to these lessons. I also tend to think, based on what I've read on here, that he's a pretty good 'teacher' type of coach too.

I was totally underwhelmed by his appointment. I love that we're talking about the club and the team and not the manager (although obviously some issues were outside of football and some were correctly discussed publicly).

Centre Hawf
21-04-2019, 03:39 PM
Enjoyed seeing Lennon cut a frustrated figure today and I hope Mallan told him where to go after the tackle on Lustig. Didn't like him before he was Hibs manager, tolerated him while he was, don't like him again now he's gone. A total divisive figure at our club that did more damage than good in the end.

J-C
21-04-2019, 03:40 PM
No I covered my ears and closed my eyes when I saw Lennon leave the dugout because I didn't want to experience any bad language.

Grow up ffs

tamig
21-04-2019, 03:41 PM
I like Heckingbottom but still like what Lennon did for us.

Last season was brilliant at ER.

There were plenty of fun and exciting times and I’m not about to write them off or forget about them just cause Lennon is away.

He was my fav ever Hibs manager. I hope I can say the same about PH when he leaves us.

The second half of last season was brilliant.

calumhibee1
Outstanding appointment. The improvement since PH has come in has been incredible.

Marvellous
Grow up ffs

From a 60 year old using text speak.

SquashedFrogg

What a strange comment from a Hibs fan.

Keith_M
21-04-2019, 03:42 PM

👍

SquashedFrogg
21-04-2019, 03:43 PM

'FFS' was used long before text I'm afraid to say.

Jones28
21-04-2019, 03:46 PM
dmc 1875 I agree about the second half of last season but in truth Hecky is miles ahead of him both tactically and also in management skills

I'm a huge Heckingbottom fan but he and Lennon had identical approaches to playing Celtic. Stay robust and get in their faces. It's a tried and tested formula that ourselves and Hearts have used to take points off them.

The_Exile
21-04-2019, 03:56 PM
The acid test will be the transfer window and how he shapes the team, the players who here now have given him a good headache to have as I can't think of many who don't get an excellent report card since he's come in. If we get good season ticket numbers again then the board will need to back him considering he's shown he can get us playing good stuff and getting good performances on a consistent basis.

Brummie_Hibs
21-04-2019, 04:16 PM
The acid test will be the transfer window and how he shapes the team, the players who here now have given him a good headache to have as I can't think of many who don't get an excellent report card since he's come in. If we get good season ticket numbers again then the board will need to back him considering he's shown he can get us playing good stuff and getting good performances on a consistent basis.
This!

The fact is that Heck did inherit Lennon's team, although Heck has got the most out of them. The acid test is whether Heck has the eye for a transfer.

Lennon Director of Football with Heck Head Coach? 😛

Brightside
21-04-2019, 04:21 PM
People still defending Lennon are mental. Go support the lesser greens.

Juniper Greens
21-04-2019, 04:27 PM

Exactly

3pm
21-04-2019, 04:27 PM

Did you not defend him quite a bit?

Brightside
21-04-2019, 04:31 PM
Did you not defend him quite a bit?

Nope. As fans we got got up in the hysteria. He’s not very good.

NZ Green
21-04-2019, 04:39 PM
Lennon gave us a really good season last year. Highest point tally in a while and furthest in Europe for a while too. He was pish towards the end of his tenure and lost the plot a little, but you cant deny he played a huge part in the revival that is happening. It seems Heckingbottom can improve it further, but it's still early days.

marinello59
21-04-2019, 04:57 PM

Lennon played his part in getting our player booked. Classless behaviour.

Brummie_Hibs
21-04-2019, 05:04 PM
Lennon played his part in getting our player booked
And quite right too. He is no longer Hibs manager so I expect him to give everything for his new club and give no quarter to Hibs.

Eyrie
21-04-2019, 05:08 PM
I liked Lennon as our manager, although there were times he frustrated me.

But Heckingbottom is the better manager of the two for the simple reason that he has got more out of a squad of players that he didn't assemble than Lennon, who did assemble the squad, could manage.

Looking forward to next season already.

Jim44
21-04-2019, 05:15 PM
I’ll never forgive Lennon for saying that he was unable to celebrate a Hibs goal against Celtic, even moreso, when stated that he had to tell Parker to sit on his arse when he wanted to celebrate a Hibs goal against them. With Heckingbottom now well established, I’m delighted to be shot of Lennon.

AFKA5814_Hibs
21-04-2019, 05:21 PM
Heckingbottom has done a remarkable job since he's taken over. Really looking forward to what he has in store next season. 👍

The Spaceman
21-04-2019, 05:31 PM
I have so much time for Heckingbottom. He is:

Smart
Articulate
Classy
Understated
Tactically excellent
Has an excellent bond with his players
Has an excellent bond seemingly with all the backroom staff
Looks like he is loving his time here and genuinely appreciates what it means to be a Hibs manager.

Love him. Hope he is with us for a while. Only outstanding test really is what he is like in the transfer window. I reckon, given his attention-to-detail nature, he will be thinking out-the-box for his signings. Exciting times.

wookie70
21-04-2019, 05:33 PM
This!

The fact is that Heck did inherit Lennon's team, although Heck has got the most out of them. The acid test is whether Heck has the eye for a transfer.

Lennon wasn't any great shakes in the transfer market and would be a disaster as DOF. The structure Leeann and Stubbs had in place seemed to be forgotten with Lennon at the helm. Heck now has the reserve team as a stepping stone for the first team with players like Shaw playing in the left side position so he can fill in for Flo. To me Lennon was a short termist type manager. Worry about the result today with little thought for the future. That is fine at Celtc where you can buy your way to trophies but not at Hibs.

Speedway
21-04-2019, 05:39 PM
'I'm a little bit in love with them' - Heckingbottom on Hibs surge https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/48007229

Famous Fiver
21-04-2019, 05:41 PM
Wonder if the Celtic Hierarchy were paying any attention today?

It would be a huge decision for them but they could well be sniffing about Heckingbottom. Better of the two by miles.

Might be a big sell to the 'Green Brigade' though. Not a Sellik man.

BoomtownHibees
21-04-2019, 05:42 PM

It would be a huge decision for them but they could well be sniffing about Heckingbottom. Better of the two by miles.

No chance imo

MWHIBBIES
21-04-2019, 05:45 PM
I’ll never forgive Lennon for saying that he was unable to celebrate a Hibs goal against Celtic, even moreso, when stated that he had to tell Parker to sit on his arse when he wanted to celebrate a Hibs goal against them. With Heckingbottom now well established, I’m delighted to be shot of Lennon.

Where was this said? Didn't see it.

H18 SFR
21-04-2019, 05:55 PM

You'll find it on YouTube, Lennon was a speaker at a smoker.

Jim44
21-04-2019, 06:16 PM

I’ve already mentioned this in another thread and when asked to show the source, I did, quotes and all. I’m not going to waste time searching for it again, but I can assure you it was genuine. He spoke about this just after moving to Celtic.

Ronniekirk
21-04-2019, 06:49 PM

He is just in the door and not proven at managing a Club chasing all the Honours Ten in a row and trying to improve on European form
Lets enjoy him instead of trying to say he is doing so well he may not be here next Season
He needs to bring in his own players and then continue good form next Season and Have is getting to later stages of Cup Competitions and looking to finish in top three if possible
If he achieves that then yes he will be on the Radar of other Clubs you would think
He has impressed in in every aspect of how he has gone about the job and never looks flustered The Players have bought into him bigs tyke and are playing with Confidence
But the next two games are Huge and must wins to keep the pressure on Kilmarnock
Let’s see how we handle these two games

pacoluna
21-04-2019, 06:52 PM
Nope. As fans we got got up in the hysteria. He’s not very good.

Aye we suffered from Stockholm syndrome, we should all go support Celtic now. Your a grade A **** poster.

SMAXXA
21-04-2019, 07:06 PM
We are unbeatable

B.H.F.C
21-04-2019, 07:12 PM
I’ve already mentioned this in another thread and when asked to show the source, I did, quotes and all. I’m not going to waste time searching for it again, but I can assure you it was genuine. He spoke about this just after moving to Celtic.

I wouldn’t get to upset about those comments. They like to play to the gallery through there. It’s expected.

His team always performed well against Celtic though. Some of the best performances I’ve seen from Hibs.

allezsauzee
21-04-2019, 07:56 PM
I think you can see the progress that we are making under Hecky every week. Hope we can give him the financial backing to strengthen the squad because I think he could do something really special at Hibs.

Brightside
21-04-2019, 08:00 PM
Aye we suffered from Stockholm syndrome, we should all go support Celtic now. Your a grade A **** poster.

You’re. 👍go and ask the players what they think of him. I’ll support Hibs as they deserve my support. The idolising is very odd.

Keith_M
21-04-2019, 08:02 PM
I thought this was a thread about Hecky, not Lennon.

J-C
21-04-2019, 08:14 PM

For ****'s sake

Is that better.

SMAXXA
21-04-2019, 08:19 PM
Heckingbottom is a better head coach than Neil Lennon

Lago
21-04-2019, 08:47 PM
What a strange comment from a Hibs fan.

Are you sure he is a Hibs fan or just a wind up merchant ?

jacomo
21-04-2019, 09:35 PM
Heckingbottom is a better head coach than Neil Lennon

Seems like real progress from the cup tie v Celtc to this game.

Hecky is getting his ideas across and getting performances out of the squad every game. It’s impressive.

Paisley Hibby
21-04-2019, 09:48 PM
Heckingbottom is managing to get as many points with the unbalanced, out of form and mismanaged squad he walked into as Lennon has since he joined a team miles ahead in the league, playing lovely football to that point and having won the last 7 domestic trophies on the bounce. Heckingbottom is a good bit ahead of Lennon when it comes to setting a team up and getting them playing for each other from the evidence so far and the success Lennon had towards the end of last season came from happening across a formula and managing to avoid messing with it for a while. When he did tinker at Tynecastle he made things worse. Heck has us solid and organised and hopefully he can expand on that when he gets players in over the summer. He has done incredibly well in his short tenure so far and I suspect he won't be here for longer than a couple of seasons as he will move on to bigger things down south.

Excellent post.

Paisley Hibby
21-04-2019, 09:53 PM
Seems like real progress from the cup tie v Celtc to this game.

Hecky is getting his ideas across and getting performances out of the squad every game. It’s impressive.

I think that two differences have closed the gap since the cup game - Hecky's impact on us and Lennon's impact on Celtic 😉

Hibeesmad
21-04-2019, 10:29 PM
Just read this, got me buzzing for next season already.

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2019/04/20/hibs-boss-insists-scottish-football-is-scared-of-the-old-firm/

HibeeHibernian4
21-04-2019, 11:23 PM
This year he lost the plot - but the championship season we got out the division which Stubbs couldn’t do and last season, yes mostly the second half was a complete joy to watch.

Stubbs and Lennon did not manage Hibs in the same Championships.

Stubbs' two Championships were freaks of nature that will almost certainly NEVER be repeated again in terms of their difficulty.

To have Hibs, Hearts and Rangers in the second tier of Scottish football, followed by Hibs and Rangers the season after is completely unheard of and a mishmash of financial impropriety and disastrous on-the-field fortunes led to its creation.

What you (and a lot of people in Scottish football at the time) failed to understand was that there was a complete bottleneck in Scottish football. While in the Championship, Hibs were clearly a better than half the top flight (the cup results attest to this), but the nature of promotion/relegation made it very difficult for us to replace any of them.

We had to instead wait for Hearts and Rangers to leave the league before we could do so comfortably. Had we maybe sacrificed the cups in 2015/16, we might've pipped Rangers to the title and gone up a season earlier. This would've been at the expense of the far better, more valuable and financially lucrative winning of the Scottish Cup, which has completely re-galvanised as a club.

Pretending that this isn't the case is completely disingenuous of yourself and any other person who points to Lennon's Championship season as any sort of success. It was the bare minimum that was achieved and it wasn't done well or convincingly, given our huge budget that dwarfed the rest of the league - outwith Dundee United at a push.

Stubbs takes all the credit for Hibs' revitalisation, Lennon had 3 brilliant months at Easter Road (February to April 2018), the rest ranged between fairly good to downright awful. Good riddance to him and long live Alan Stubbs.

Hibeesmad
21-04-2019, 11:53 PM

Stubbs' two Championships were freaks of nature that will almost certainly NEVER be repeated again in terms of their difficulty.

To have Hibs, Hearts and Rangers in the second tier of Scottish football, followed by Hibs and Rangers the season after is completely unheard of and a mishmash of financial impropriety and disastrous on-the-field fortunes led to its creation.

What you (and a lot of people in Scottish football at the time) failed to understand was that there was a complete bottleneck in Scottish football. While in the Championship, Hibs were clearly a better than half the top flight (the cup results attest to this), but the nature of promotion/relegation made it very difficult for us to replace any of them.

We had to instead wait for Hearts and Rangers to leave the league before we could do so comfortably. Had we maybe sacrificed the cups in 2015/16, we might've pipped Rangers to the title and gone up a season earlier. This would've been at the expense of the far better, more valuable and financially lucrative winning of the Scottish Cup, which has completely re-galvanised as a club.

Pretending that this isn't the case is completely disingenuous of yourself and any other person who points to Lennon's Championship season as any sort of success. It was the bare minimum that was achieved and it wasn't done well or convincingly, given our huge budget that dwarfed the rest of the league - outwith Dundee United at a push.

Stubbs takes all the credit for Hibs' revitalisation, Lennon had 3 brilliant months at Easter Road (February to April 2018), the rest ranged between fairly good to downright awful. Good riddance to him and long live Alan Stubbs.

I agree that he turned a shambles into a breath of fresh air, he did that well. Winning the Scottish Cup should see a statue of some sort placed outside Easter Road for that achievement, which will only ever be topped by Hibs winning the Premiership. However, there was no excuses for not beating Falkirk in the play offs that season, they even finished above us in the league, you can't put that down to a few cup games. Lennon did what was required, although it is expected, it is an achievement. Last season was better football than anything played under Stubbs Imo. Would that have been the case under Stubbs? Who knows. But it's a wonder why he is where he's at now.

HibeeHibernian4
22-04-2019, 12:09 AM
I agree that he turned a shambles into a breath of fresh air, he did that well. Winning the Scottish Cup should see a statue of some sort placed outside Easter Road for that achievement, which will only ever be topped by Hibs winning the Premiership. However, there was no excuses for not beating Falkirk in the play offs that season, they even finished above us in the league, you can't put that down to a few cup games. Lennon did what was required, although it is expected, it is an achievement. Last season was better football than anything played under Stubbs Imo. Would that have been the case under Stubbs? Who knows. But it's a wonder why he is where he's at now.

I can name you several 'excuses' (reasons, to be less loaded) why we didn't beat Falkirk.

They were an utter gang under Houston, who had them trained to snidely foul their way to victories.

Alan Muir missed blatant handball in the box in the first leg, which could've potentially put Hibs 3-1 up and coasting in the tie.

You can absolutely put it down to 'a few cup games', although for the record it was far more than 'a few'. We went the distance in both cup finals - something no other Hibs manager has ever achieved, by the way. As we had replays against Hearts and ICT, we were a Raith Rovers replay away from literally having the most cup games that a side can have in one season.

Fighting on three fronts took it out of a talented but threadbare squad. Stubbs recruited top, top players (far beyond the calibre of anything Lennon brought to the club), and as a result we had five or six exceptional players backed up by about fifteen decent ones. This meant general fatigue plus injuries was always going to affect us.

We played 54 competitive games in that season, and there is a clear nucleus of fourteen players, with Malonga in the first half of the season and Stokes in the second half of the season bringing the total up to sixteen.

Stevenson, McGinn, Cummings, Henderson, Gray, Oxley, Hanlon, McGregor, Keatings, Fontaine, Bartley, Fyvie, Boyle and McGeouch all made 30+ appearances that season for Hibs. Stevenson and McGinn actually broke the 50 game barrier. That's almost unheard of for a Scottish side who aren't playing in European football.

Stubbs wasn't perfect, and I don't know how he would've shaped out with us had he stayed. The romantic in me is almost pleased he left. A club like Hibs are never likely to be competing for the league, so we should always prioritise cups, which is something that Stubbs did extremely well.

Hibeesmad
22-04-2019, 12:56 AM
I can name you several 'excuses' (reasons, to be less loaded) why we didn't beat Falkirk.

They were an utter gang under Houston, who had them trained to snidely foul their way to victories.

Alan Muir missed blatant handball in the box in the first leg, which could've potentially put Hibs 3-1 up and coasting in the tie.

You can absolutely put it down to 'a few cup games', although for the record it was far more than 'a few'. We went the distance in both cup finals - something no other Hibs manager has ever achieved, by the way. As we had replays against Hearts and ICT, we were a Raith Rovers replay away from literally having the most cup games that a side can have in one season.

Fighting on three fronts took it out of a talented but threadbare squad. Stubbs recruited top, top players (far beyond the calibre of anything Lennon brought to the club), and as a result we had five or six exceptional players backed up by about fifteen decent ones. This meant general fatigue plus injuries was always going to affect us.

We played 54 competitive games in that season, and there is a clear nucleus of fourteen players, with Malonga in the first half of the season and Stokes in the second half of the season bringing the total up to sixteen.

Stevenson, McGinn, Cummings, Henderson, Gray, Oxley, Hanlon, McGregor, Keatings, Fontaine, Bartley, Fyvie, Boyle and McGeouch all made 30+ appearances that season for Hibs. Stevenson and McGinn actually broke the 50 game barrier. That's almost unheard of for a Scottish side who aren't playing in European football.

Stubbs wasn't perfect, and I don't know how he would've shaped out with us had he stayed. The romantic in me is almost pleased he left. A club like Hibs are never likely to be competing for the league, so we should always prioritise cups, which is something that Stubbs did extremely well.

We only played 1 cup game between 17th March and 2nd May in which period we took only 15 points from 27, which ultimately cost us 2nd place and would have put us in a more favourable position to beat Falkirk. Play offs weren't great either. Lost away to Raith and Falkirk, managing a win at home to Raith and a draw against Falkirk.

Outwith the Scottish Cup win it was sackable.

calumhibee1
22-04-2019, 07:22 AM

Exactly. Stubbs performance as manager in the Championship was more impressive than NL when you consider what he took over from and what NL took over from and who they both had to compete with. Stubbs never won the league but we were never favourites to. NL took over Hibs as overwhelming favourites to win it. They both performed fairly similarly, the difference being AS was unlucky/NL was lucky enough that the similar points totals they gathered lead to NLs team winning the league and not Stubbs’ team.

Pretty Boy
22-04-2019, 07:28 AM
I can't be ersed going over the Stubbs V Lennon v Heckingbotttom arguments again.

What I will say is all the hand wringing about Lennon being 'irreplaceable' has been shown for what it was. Heckingbotttom has come in, improved the side, stamped his mark on us and won over a fanbase that had many sceptics within it.

calumhibee1
22-04-2019, 07:30 AM
I can't be ersed going over the Stubbs V Lennon v Heckingbotttom arguments again.

What I will say is all the hand wringing about Lennon being 'irreplaceable' has been shown for what it was. Heckingbotttom has come in, improved the side, stamped his mark on us and won over a fanbase that had many sceptics within it.

:agree:

Heisenberg
22-04-2019, 07:37 AM

Spot on. There’s also a distinct lack of media columns from Sutton, Hartson and Co declaring how wrong they were about us losing Lennon.

Hibee Mac
22-04-2019, 07:47 AM
This!

Does this imply that Lennon was good with transfers? Over the course I'd say he was definitely below par. Particularly compared to the Stubbs era.

jacomo
22-04-2019, 07:54 AM

:agree:

mjhibby
22-04-2019, 08:02 AM
Spot on. There’s also a distinct lack of media columns from Sutton, Hartson and Co declaring how wrong they were about us losing Lennon.

Not bothered in the slightest what they say. Hecky has silenced a lot of people who talked utter nonsense when he was appointed. You can never guarantee any appt being correct but hibs did their homework so yaboo sucks to them.

w pilton hibby
22-04-2019, 08:06 PM

Michael Stewart on Heckingbottom

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48014785

ancient hibee
22-04-2019, 09:42 PM
In my opinion Heckingbottom has got the team better organised than any manager since Eddie Turnbull.Particularly so when you consider the lack of star players compared to other regimes.There is nobody on the park who doesn’t know what he has to do.It’s been an outstanding transformation.

SquashedFrogg
22-04-2019, 09:50 PM
Michael Stewart on Heckingbottom

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48014785

Good article. And then the Scottish football dinosaur Ian McCall adds his completely antiquated and worthless opinion.

Memo to Ian McCall: You know f:ck all.

OxoHibby
22-04-2019, 09:58 PM
Good article. And then the Scottish football dinosaur Ian McCall adds his completely antiquated and worthless opinion.

Memo to Ian McCall: You know f:ck all.

Exactly what I thought. Stewart is always fair then get the same old words from Hun fud McCall. Why was he even asked to comment by the national broadcaster

bigwheel
22-04-2019, 10:10 PM
Exactly what I thought. Stewart is always fair then get the same old words from Hun fud McCall. Why was he even asked to comment by the national broadcaster

Don’t see anything wrong with McCalls comments - next season is indeed where Heckingbottom will be tested..looking forward to it already..

SquashedFrogg
22-04-2019, 10:20 PM
Don’t see anything wrong with McCalls comments - next season is indeed where Heckingbottom will be tested..looking forward to it already..

I guess it just annoys me when paid 'experts' voice opinions about things they aren't very good at.

As an example Jim Duffy and Peter Houston were on the BBC commenting on who should be the next Scotland.

Jesus most certainly wept.

bigwheel
22-04-2019, 10:22 PM
I guess it just annoys me when paid 'experts' voice opinions about things they aren't very good at.

I like McCall tbh. On radio and as a manager..opinions [emoji106]

SquashedFrogg
22-04-2019, 10:26 PM

Fair enough. I probably can't say what I know about him on here but suffice to say I don't trust or value the guy.

Tornadoes70
22-04-2019, 10:48 PM
In my opinion Heckingbottom has got the team better organised than any manager since Eddie Turnbull.Particularly so when you consider the lack of star players compared to other regimes.There is nobody on the park who doesn’t know what he has to do.It’s been an outstanding transformation.

Absolutely correct. Hecky seems to have complete control and authority as it should be for a manager/leader and has been a revelation. When most of us posted give this management team a chance upon hearing of Hecky little did we actually realise the ultra positive transformation that was to instantly materialise after Hecky was appointed. The Board deserve a lot of praise for recognising Hecky's ability and as for Hecky if beating the yams next week he and his backroom team could easily be elevated to Hecky's Heroes status.

Its been almost miraculous.

Long may it continue.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

:flag:

Mibbes Aye
23-04-2019, 12:22 AM
What I like about him is he can wear coaching gear and look right or wear a suit, collar and tie and look right.

It's that ability to transcend dress codes that spells winner to me :agree:

Hibeesmad
23-04-2019, 12:51 AM

I met him once and he was a bit pished but came across as a good guy, funny character.

Hibeesmad
23-04-2019, 12:52 AM
Fair enough. I probably can't say what I know about him on here but suffice to say I don't trust or value the guy.

Was alright when I met him as stated above but that was just a one off, you might have a bit more insight 👍

Hibeesmad
23-04-2019, 12:53 AM
What I like about him is he can wear coaching gear and look right or wear a suit, collar and tie and look right.

I'm a big fan of his grey suits 👍😍

Mac_17
23-04-2019, 07:01 AM
I said when I seen his first interview that he reminded me of Tony Mowbray. I think the way he has us organised is very similar to how I remember us in TM’s first season.

I’m very excited for the summer so he can add touches of real quality to the squad.

matty_f
23-04-2019, 07:09 AM

Jeans and a t-shirt at the reserves yesterday and carried that off as well.

What a guy.

Northernhibee
23-04-2019, 07:12 AM
The most stylish manager since Sauzee?

BILLYHIBS
23-04-2019, 07:13 AM
I said when I seen his first interview that he reminded me of Tony Mowbray. I think the way he has us organised is very similar to how I remember us in TM’s first season.

I’m very excited for the summer so he can add touches of real quality to the squad.

:aok:

Beat me to it

I used to think Tony Mowbray was the real deal

Celtic shattered that illusion

Speedway
23-04-2019, 07:16 AM
We’re going wildly overboard here.

He’s had an excellent start. Lets see where he can take us in cups and leagues when teams have sussed his plan A out.

SMAXXA
23-04-2019, 07:19 AM

He’s had an excellent start. Lets see where he can take us in cups and leagues when teams have sussed his plan A out.

I’d say there’s been sufficient time for teams to sus out his plan A if they did their homework correctly which at this level would be a given.

04Sauzee
23-04-2019, 07:30 AM

Luckily he seems to have plans B and C

Onion
23-04-2019, 07:51 AM
Great start, better than anyone could have imagined. IMO he's proven he can organise a team, change tactics mid-game. Key indicators still to come are, next Derby match, final league position, ST sales, players in/out in the summer. Before we start next season, we'll have a much better idea of the calibre of manager we have at the wheel.

Wull
23-04-2019, 07:52 AM

Stone cold sober: I think if Lennon gets the Celtic job and Rankers keep Morelos, we can win the league. :flag::flag::flag:

jacomo
23-04-2019, 08:42 AM

TM was idealistic and naive when he came to us. We benefited from that in many ways but it also caught us out.

Hecky has a lot more managerial experience behind him, although I agree there are similarities - most notably a palpable enthusiasm for the game.

I’m really warming to him.

matty_f
23-04-2019, 09:21 AM

I fail to see how that's relevant to what his choice of attire is, Speedway.

I think you need to go and think about what you've done here.

Mibbes Aye
23-04-2019, 11:18 AM
Jeans and a t-shirt at the reserves yesterday and carried that off as well.

What a guy.

Oh my.

I don’t feel I need to ask about footwear because I sense he could have been wearing deck shoes or expensive but understated retro trainers and it would have looked just right.

Mibbes Aye
23-04-2019, 11:22 AM

I am reserving full judgement until I’ve seen his winter touchline wardrobe in practice. Headgear especially.......is he a beanie hat guy or does he go commando, that sort of thing.

I can see a black badged puffa jacket or maybe the padded gilet that Tim Sherwood used to like wearing. Either way he will make it his own.

JeMeSouviens
23-04-2019, 11:23 AM
I am reserving full judgement until I’ve seen his winter touchline wardrobe in practice. Headgear especially.......is he a beanie hat guy or does he go commando, that sort of thing.

I can see a black badged puffa jacket or maybe the padded gilet that Tim Sherwood used to like wearing. Either way he will make it his own.

Too far :tsk tsk:

JeMeSouviens
23-04-2019, 11:26 AM

Omg - Heckers out!

https://cdn.theleaguepaper.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/1389350.jpg

Mibbes Aye
23-04-2019, 11:28 AM
Too far :tsk tsk:

FFS I didn’t mean Tim Sherwood’s actual gilet :rolleyes: :greengrin

I was more thinking a slimline number with a Hibs crest on it.

This would lead to club shop sales rocketing and then many middle-aged men posting on here about whether XXXL was too snug a fit and why didn’t they have any in stock.

Since452
23-04-2019, 11:28 AM
It's looking very much like a manager and a club that just click. If so very exciting times ahead.

Mibbes Aye
23-04-2019, 11:32 AM
Omg - Heckers out!

https://cdn.theleaguepaper.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/1389350.jpg

For me he is managing to carry that off.

Look at the angle of the jester hat. On most folk that would look stupid.

With PH it has a certain je ne sais quoi

Man’s a legend.

JeMeSouviens
23-04-2019, 11:40 AM
For me he is managing to carry that off.

Look at the angle of the jester hat. On most folk that would look stupid.

With PH it has a certain je ne sais quoi

Man’s a legend.

Whatever gets you through the night. :wink:

Speedway
23-04-2019, 12:32 PM
I fail to see how that's relevant to what his choice of attire is, Speedway.

I think you need to go and think about what you've done here.

If he's got any Michael Kors gear in his wardrobe he can gtf out of our club pronto.

tamig
23-04-2019, 06:13 PM
Luckily he seems to have plans B and C

Exactly. What a strange comment that was. There’s been numerous examples where he’s made changes during the course of a game that have turned things in our favour. Some folk just seem to see what they want to see.

matty_f
23-04-2019, 06:24 PM
If he's got any Michael Kors gear in his wardrobe he can gtf out of our club pronto.

:hilarious

Hibee87
23-04-2019, 06:25 PM
Hecky has been great since he came in. Limited squad to choose from but working it well, LD must get credit for another astute appointment. I was happy to hear us being linked with people who didn't know 'the Scottish game' who could come in with fresh ideas of their own and not over complicate things by trying to be clever when playing certain teams, or changing working tactics/formations when going to places like tynecastle based on 'their knowledge'.
The very fact I know a lot of jambos admitting we seem to have made a good appointment without much in the way of making digs about us/him speaks volumes to me. Granted they have to compare him to potter, but there is nothing unlikeable about this guy, I don't even think the usual pundits have managed to take any pops at him. Pretty much silenced all the NL lovers in the press/media by doing his talking on the pitch and focusing only on Hibs. Mans a class act and I'm very excited to see what next season can hopefully bring.
GGTTH

Keith_M
23-04-2019, 06:35 PM
I don't know if I should be releasing this info on here, as it may put people of him completely. but I heard that he was seen in Musselburgh wearing...

...Converse trainers.

:faint:

Diclonius
23-04-2019, 06:38 PM
I don't know if I should be releasing this info on here, as it may put people of him completely. but I heard that he was seen in Musselburgh wearing...

...Converse trainers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HpIZrOH4zc

Silky
23-04-2019, 06:45 PM

...Converse trainers.

For me, it's the fact he was seen in Musselburgh!!😯