PDA

View Full Version : Falkirk and the Dundee clubs.

mjhibby
21-04-2019, 09:16 AM
Who would have thought that we could have Falkirk in div 1 and the two Dundee teams in the Championship. Falkirk have Dundee Utd away and ross County At home so their situation looks desperate. Dundee look doomed and I wouldn't back Utd to come through the play offs.Although its a huge Girfuy to all three teams am I wrong to think the spl would be better with at least the two Dundee teams in it. I'd love dunfermline to come up as that is always my fav away game. BTW Houston,nae luck.

PatHead
21-04-2019, 09:23 AM
Don't know what has happened to Falkirk to collapse so badly.

Dundee United seem to have found some form though they looked awful against Ayr. They might sneak through the playoffs. A lot will depend on who the premiership team is.

SChibs
21-04-2019, 09:25 AM
Don't know what has happened to Falkirk to collapse so badly.

Dundee United seem to have found some form though they looked awful against Ayr. They might sneak through the playoffs. A lot will depend on who the premiership team is.

I know a Falkirk fan who puts their current season woes down to Paul Hartley. He says he was an atrocious manager for them.

murray26
21-04-2019, 09:26 AM
No lose situation TBH I’ve got some good Falkirk pals and then some divets I work with.. hence I’m enjoying this week 😊

Cod Boy
21-04-2019, 09:34 AM
I went to the Falkirk game yesterday with my brother in law who is a season ticket holder there. They were very poor and can’t see them getting anything next 2 games. Only hope they have is Ross County put out a weakened team last game but wouldn’t bet on them if that the case.

Since452
21-04-2019, 09:40 AM
Falkirk shot themselves in the foot scrapping their excellent youth system to concentrate on promotion. Signed too many journeymen on decent money that obviously weren't that bothered.

Michael
21-04-2019, 09:42 AM
Falkirk shot themselves in the foot scrapping their excellent youth system to concentrate on promotion. Signed too many journeymen on decent money that obviously weren't that bothered.

One of the most bizarre decisions ever. They were hailed for their great youth system.

Since452
21-04-2019, 09:44 AM
One of the most bizarre decisions ever. They were hailed for their great youth system.

Yeah some really decent players came through there

Diclonius
21-04-2019, 10:09 AM
It's a real shame, since Houston left and we were promoted I've been happy for my local team to do well.

At least there might be a local derby with Stenhousemuir!

Greencore
21-04-2019, 10:33 AM
Hate falkirk due to their fans being wee fanny's.
Dundee United laughed at us for being in the championship, nae luck.
No opinion on Dundee...

However would rather have Dundee in the league then Hamilton or livi.

Would like to see Ayr in the league, Ayrshire derby's are worse then old firm and I'm very surprised Ayr haven't actually came up... Bigger town then killie... Although their fans are mini rangers.

Since452
21-04-2019, 10:58 AM
I work up in Dundee. The city would get a huge boost if both clubs were doing well. Pretty depressing for them at the moment.

Onion
21-04-2019, 11:11 AM
Falkirk are mini Yams who gave punched above their weight for years. Now they have no Hibs to play, they’re in freefall, and glad to see it. Just like their big brothers, without Hibs they are nothing. DFC and DUFC should have merged long before now and are paying the price. Shame for DUFC.

LancsHibs
21-04-2019, 11:22 AM
Falkirk are mini Yams who gave punched above their weight for years. Now they have no Hibs to play, they’re in freefall, and glad to see it. Just like their big brothers, without Hibs they are nothing. DFC and DUFC should have merged long before now and are paying the price. Shame for DUFC.

Really? Many looking in from the outside think Hibs & Hearts should merge to challenge the OF! Don’t really care about the Dundee clubs but wouldn’t want to see anyone’s football club destroyed (except the OF). Do agree that either or both Dundee clubs would be a better addition to the league than Hamilton or Livingston

worcesterhibby
21-04-2019, 11:40 AM
Don’t give a monkeys about Falkirk, but I like away days in Dundee and when they are doing well, both clubs have a decent support. Mind you if Utd stay down and Dundee are relegated, there will be some tasty derby’s On tayside.

Paisley Hibby
21-04-2019, 12:00 PM
Morton must have SO enjoyed that 2-0 win over Falkirk yesterday 😆

Hibeesmad
21-04-2019, 12:28 PM
Hopefully liquidation for Falkirk in the next few years.

Famous Fiver
21-04-2019, 06:21 PM
Really pleased to see them struggle. Back to back relegations would please me no end if they end up in Div 2.

Horrible, horrible club and fans.

No time for them at all ever since the Freeland match. They really thought they were something. That loudmouth Houston just exacerbated it for me.

Good riddance.

Brightside
21-04-2019, 06:23 PM
Crazy for Dundee to have 2 team. And Falkirk is a tony wee town too.

InchHibby
21-04-2019, 07:03 PM
Who would have thought that we could have Falkirk in div 1 and the two Dundee teams in the Championship. Falkirk have Dundee Utd away and ross County At home so their situation looks desperate. Dundee look doomed and I wouldn't back Utd to come through the play offs.Although its a huge Girfuy to all three teams am I wrong to think the spl would be better with at least the two Dundee teams in it. I'd love dunfermline to come up as that is always my fav away game. BTW Houston,nae luck.

Don’t give a toss about Falkirk but would like both Dundee teams to be in the Premier next season, unfortunately can’t see it happening, as for Dunfermline, yes I love that away game.

patch1875
21-04-2019, 07:04 PM

They way forward for the Dundee teams is to share a stadium having 2 next to each other is madness.

ballengeich
21-04-2019, 09:41 PM

While their youth system was producing good players, they weren't making enough from transfer fees to cover the costs. Livingston came to the same conclusion.

MWHIBBIES
21-04-2019, 09:49 PM
**** Falkirk. Hope they tumble down the league's. Way they behaved in games between us was shocking. Keating's goal to all but promote us and sink them one of my favourite ever.

Onceinawhile
21-04-2019, 10:36 PM
**** Falkirk. Hope they tumble down the league's. Way they behaved in games between us was shocking. Keating's goal to all but promote us and sink them one of my favourite ever.

Oh aye. When keats talked about it and they said he's all left foot before he spanked it right footed top bag. Oooft.

Their number 9 Carl mchugh is possibly the biggest prick in Scottish football.

Sir David Gray
21-04-2019, 10:54 PM
Oh aye. When keats talked about it and they said he's all left foot before he spanked it right footed top bag. Oooft.

Carl McHugh plays for Motherwell and has never played for Falkirk. Bob McHugh used to play for Falkirk but left them to join Morton two years ago.

Onceinawhile
21-04-2019, 10:56 PM
Carl McHugh plays for Motherwell and has never played for Falkirk. Bob McHugh used to play for Falkirk but left them to join Morton two years ago.

Bob mchugh is the one I'm thinking of. He was their number 9 wasn't he? Pucking frick.

Cod Boy
21-04-2019, 11:29 PM
Bob mchugh is the one I'm thinking of. He was their number 9 wasn't he? Pucking frick.

Do you not mean John Baird he was number 9 when we played them.

Viva_Palmeiras
22-04-2019, 07:57 AM

Each to their own but a Hibs fan (did you live through the takeover bid?) wishing a team a team liquidated (perhaps other than Hearts) liquidated probably means you either didn’t go through the possibility of losing your team or maybe you just forgot...?

bigwheel
22-04-2019, 08:05 AM

never understand why a bit of football competition leads to people wanting this nonsense......small minded view...good community club

Hiber-nation
22-04-2019, 08:19 AM
never understand why a bit of football competition leads to people wanting this nonsense......small minded view...good community club

Yep and makes for a cracking game with all that recent history. I'd love us to be playing Falkirk again and give them a right doing.

If some on here had their way with the clamour for clubs to go under we'd end up with about half a dozen clubs left in Scotland.

NAE NOOKIE
22-04-2019, 08:47 AM
First things first …. Anybody wishing liquidation on a club, even Falkirk, needs to get a grip, no real football fan should wish that on another supporter :bitchy:

As for suggestions that the two Dundee teams should merge …. who is going to replace the missing team and bring the same sort of support, the only candidate I can think of is Dunfermline, but I would like to see them competing alongside both Dundee teams, not instead of one. It should also be remembered that this country only has five genuine derby matches, if you include Ayr v Killie and St Mirren v Morton* … why would anybody want to see the back of one of them?

I've said it on other threads on this subject, this is the biggest reason for me why the league should be expanded to at least 14 teams …. we need to lessen the risk that clubs like Dundee, Dundee Utd and Dunfermline are left in the wilderness for so long that their very survival as full time clubs is put at risk ….. Look at the impact the return of Hibs has had on the premiership, we are directly responsible for the leagues average crowds going up, but it could so very easily have gone the other way if we had failed to gain promotion two seasons ago, I dread to think where we would be now if that hadn't happened.

What a season it would be if we had a league like this:

Hibernian
Heart of Midlothian
Aberdeen
Celtic
The Rangers
Dundee
Dundee United
Motherwell
Dunfermline
Kilmarnock
Ayr United
St Mirren

* I appreciate there are others like Partick Thistle v either Ugly sister or Ross County v ICT … but for all that its billed as a derby I'll wait for ICT or Ross County to sell out one of their modest stadiums for the fixture before I accept it really is one.

Anyway, when it comes to the original point the sooner both Dundee teams are back in the top league the better I'll like it :aok:

hibbyfraelibby
22-04-2019, 08:49 AM

Think they miss the George Craig effect

Stonewall
22-04-2019, 05:18 PM
While their youth system was producing good players, they weren't making enough from transfer fees to cover the costs. Livingston came to the same conclusion.

Wonder if they included the cost of replacing the good players who came through their youth system with players of similar quality from outside their club.

Since452
22-04-2019, 07:44 PM

After Derek Lyle at Queens.

Billy Whizz
22-04-2019, 07:49 PM
Must be one of the few on here who don’t want Falkirk to go down. Team on our doorstep, and a load of the locals go a long and watch them every week

BILLYHIBS
24-04-2019, 05:54 AM
Falkirk now three adrift at the bottom of the Championship after Jags win away to Ayr United last night

Karma?

Besties Debut
24-04-2019, 06:01 AM
Scottish football is not exactly blessed with a lot of decent sized clubs so I would love to see Dundee Utd back in the SPL. A club with a 4 sided stand, a decent history and attendances over 6000 can only be a good thing.

Oscar T Grouch
24-04-2019, 06:53 AM
Falkirk now three adrift at the bottom of the Championship after Jags win away to Ayr United last night

Karma?

Their last two games are against the top two teams. Falkirk will be in league one next season, what a shame 🥺😂

jacomo
24-04-2019, 06:55 AM
Really? Many looking in from the outside think Hibs & Hearts should merge to challenge the OF! Don’t really care about the Dundee clubs but wouldn’t want to see anyone’s football club destroyed (except the OF). Do agree that either or both Dundee clubs would be a better addition to the league than Hamilton or Livingston

:agree:

Opining that other clubs should merge is not on. Dundee and Dundee Utd can continue as separate entities even as part time clubs if that is what the fans want.

I do think there is a unique and compelling argument for a ground share though. They are already neighbours - with the wider revitalisation of the city, it could be a good opportunity to do it.

Since452
24-04-2019, 08:05 AM
Merging the Dundee clubs would be ripping away people's identities forged through generations. They care about their clubs as much as we care about Hibs. They shouldn't and wont merge. Sharing a stadium on the other hand...no brainer.

Spike Mandela
24-04-2019, 08:14 AM
Their last two games are against the top two teams. Falkirk will be in league one next season, what a shame 🥺😂

In that crazy league anything can happen. 5th place Dunfermline are still vulnerable to relegation. Wouldn’t bet against Falkirk getting something in the last 2 games.

Killiehibbie
24-04-2019, 08:34 AM
I remember some people thought it would be a good idea for a united Edinburgh team.

Oscar T Grouch
24-04-2019, 08:40 AM
In that crazy league anything can happen. 5th place Dunfermline are still vulnerable to relegation. Wouldn’t bet against Falkirk getting something in the last 2 games.

I’ve seen Falkirk this season, they’re awful, they’ll be lucky to get a goal in the next two games, never mind a point. They’re going down.

greenpaper55
24-04-2019, 08:46 AM
First things first …. Anybody wishing liquidation on a club, even Falkirk, needs to get a grip, no real football fan should wish that on another supporter :bitchy:

As for suggestions that the two Dundee teams should merge …. who is going to replace the missing team and bring the same sort of support, the only candidate I can think of is Dunfermline, but I would like to see them competing alongside both Dundee teams, not instead of one. It should also be remembered that this country only has five genuine derby matches, if you include Ayr v Killie and St Mirren v Morton* … why would anybody want to see the back of one of them?

I've said it on other threads on this subject, this is the biggest reason for me why the league should be expanded to at least 14 teams …. we need to lessen the risk that clubs like Dundee, Dundee Utd and Dunfermline are left in the wilderness for so long that their very survival as full time clubs is put at risk ….. Look at the impact the return of Hibs has had on the premiership, we are directly responsible for the leagues average crowds going up, but it could so very easily have gone the other way if we had failed to gain promotion two seasons ago, I dread to think where we would be now if that hadn't happened.

What a season it would be if we had a league like this:

Hibernian
Heart of Midlothian
Aberdeen
Celtic
The Rangers
Dundee
Dundee United
Motherwell
Dunfermline
Kilmarnock
Ayr United
St Mirren

* I appreciate there are others like Partick Thistle v either Ugly sister or Ross County v ICT … but for all that its billed as a derby I'll wait for ICT or Ross County to sell out one of their modest stadiums for the fixture before I accept it really is one.

Anyway, when it comes to the original point the sooner both Dundee teams are back in the top league the better I'll like it :aok:

You could add another four teams to that quite easily but Rod wouldn't allow it !

Since452
24-04-2019, 09:02 AM
There are a few tasty fixtures I'd love to see in the top flight..

Dundee v Dundee United
Falkirk v Dunfermline
Dunfermline v Raith Rovers
Ayr v Killie
St Mirren v Morton
Dundee United v Aberdeen

I'd maybe even add us v Falkirk to that. Cracking future in recent years.

All big games and big rivalries.

Diclonius
24-04-2019, 09:12 AM
I remember some people thought it would be a good idea for a united Edinburgh team.

:agree:

Don't get why people think it's okay for the Dundee, Fife teams etc to merge but us and Hearts are somehow a special case. Lifelong supporters of all teams involved would never accept it regardless of how successful a "new" team would be. There are loads of Ross County fans in Inverness for that exact reason.

CentreLine
24-04-2019, 09:21 AM
Any club with a decent grass pitch over Killie, Livi, Hamilton any season for me.

Tynie01011973
24-04-2019, 01:34 PM

Carl McHugh is Motherwell midfielder.
It's Bob McHugh that you're thinking of - bassa who scored late winner in the playoff game

hfc rd
24-04-2019, 02:10 PM

That’s like saying both Edinburgh clubs should have merged a long time ago in order for a capital club to challenge Celtic for the league.

No way should both Dundee clubs merge and nor will it happen. Fans of both those Dundee clubs would be fully against it.

Eyrie
24-04-2019, 06:12 PM
That’s like saying both Edinburgh clubs should have merged a long time ago in order for a capital club to challenge Celtic for the league.

No way should both Dundee clubs merge and nor will it happen. Fans of both those Dundee clubs would be fully against it.
The only thing an Edinburgh merger would challenge is my sanity.

Two clubs in Dundee may not make much sense but I'll back their right to be separate for as long as their fans want it.

Keith_M
24-04-2019, 07:15 PM

Maybe Hibs should have given in to Mercer and 'merged' with Hearts

Viva_Palmeiras
24-04-2019, 07:25 PM
Seems to me we need a stronger pool of competitive clubs that can challenge the uglies. You don’t get that by merging two teams (capable of taking 6 points) into 1 capable of taking 3 points off either cheek.

We’ve also seen the quality that exists in the championship although perhaps stepped up in the face of stiffer competition could it be sustained?

SouthMoroccoStu
24-04-2019, 08:48 PM
Falkirk really surprised me when we were in the Championship

Why did they spend so much money to challenge Hibs, Hearts and TheRangers

Would they not have been better continuing to develop the youth system, bringing players through and then take the league by storm when 3 of Scotland's biggest clubs were gone?

Note this is not me saying that they should have just laid down to the "big" teams

It seems to have been very short sighted with nothing really to show for it (Cup final appearance, 2nd place finish and a play off final)

Peter Houston pigheaded stubbornness at it's finest

The team that finished second easily could be promoted already this season

Bostonhibby
24-04-2019, 08:57 PM
I remember some people thought it would be a good idea for a united Edinburgh team.Never catch on.

Could only happen if one team ran out of money, declared themselves self sufficient, put themselves into administration and bumped so many local businesses and charities that they had no other option but be absorbed by the other sustainable solvent team.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
24-04-2019, 09:33 PM
Falkirk really surprised me when we were in the Championship

Why did they spend so much money to challenge Hibs, Hearts and TheRangers

Would they not have been better continuing to develop the youth system, bringing players through and then take the league by storm when 3 of Scotland's biggest clubs were gone?

Note this is not me saying that they should have just laid down to the "big" teams

It seems to have been very short sighted with nothing really to show for it (Cup final appearance, 2nd place finish and a play off final)

Peter Houston pigheaded stubbornness at it's finest

The team that finished second easily could be promoted already this season

Hear what you are saying

We are in a results driven business

Houston would have been gone in 4 years in any case

Why not just piss off HIBS?

Sir David Gray
24-04-2019, 10:11 PM

I would.

I went to a Falkirk game a few months ago and it was quite honestly one of the worst games I've ever seen and by all accounts things haven't improved since then.

I cannot see them beating either Dundee Utd or Ross County and I think they're down.

Mikey
27-04-2019, 02:31 PM
Falkirk losing 2-0 and Alloa are winning 1-0. Looking grim for Falkirk.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-championship/table

cabbageandribs1875
27-04-2019, 02:37 PM
Falkirk losing 2-0 and Alloa are winning 1-0. Looking grim for Falkirk.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-championship/table

Falkirk are not going to get anything today so all Alloa need is a point and Falkirk are down, sure it's something like 40 years Falkirk will not have been in either of the top two leagues

kaimendhibs
27-04-2019, 02:39 PM
Bye Falkirk[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106] Hate that club with a passion but don't really know why

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

HibbySpurs
27-04-2019, 02:54 PM
They could still technically catch QoS If things stay the same.

They’d just need to win, QoS to lose....,

And something like a 10 goal swing 🤣

cabbageandribs1875
27-04-2019, 02:58 PM
They could still technically catch QoS If things stay the same.

They’d just need to win, QoS to lose....,

And something like a 10 goal swing ��

i forgot Q.o.s played last night :agree: Falkirk will be hoping Ross co put out a very weakened team against them next week

PatHead
27-04-2019, 04:21 PM
Best Falkirk can do is the playoffs now. Hope both them and Alloa go down. Purely because I hate plastic pitches.