PDA

View Full Version : European Football for Hibs?

CMurdoch
20-04-2019, 04:45 PM
After today's results Kilmarnock are the team we need to catch for European football

I can't see it happening.

IMO Hibs, Kilmarnock & Aberdeen will all beat poor Hearts.
IMO none of the teams will take points from Celtic & Rangers.

We would therefore need to beat Kilmarnock & Aberdeen

That would see Aberdeen finish on 64 points and Kilmarnock & Hibs on 61 points.
The last European place would then go to us or Kilmarnock on goal difference given Hearts have no chance of beating Celtic in the cup final.

What are your thoughts/predictions?

bingo70
20-04-2019, 04:54 PM
After today's results Kilmarnock are the team we need to catch for European football

We need to beat Kilmarnock & Aberdeen

The last European place would then go to us or Kilmarnock on goal difference given Hearts have no chance of beating Celtic in the cup final.

Hearts won’t lose all their post split games and I think we’ll beat them next week.

Imo hearts will beat Killie or Aberdeen. If we can be within striking distance of Aberdeen going into the last game of the season it would be a great result.

Sir David Gray
20-04-2019, 04:55 PM
5th. We need a minimum of 12 points to finish 4th i think. I can't see that happening.

SJNB Hibby
20-04-2019, 04:55 PM

We would therefore need to beat Kilmarnock & Aberdeen

Ask me after tomorrow. If we can take a point off celtic and beat aberdeen we are only 2 back of the Dons with a better gd

Sir David Gray
20-04-2019, 05:04 PM
Ask me after tomorrow. If we can take a point off celtic and beat aberdeen we are only 2 back of the Dons with a better gd

Aberdeen's the last game of the season.

bingo70
20-04-2019, 05:11 PM
5th. We need a minimum of 12 points to finish 4th i think. I can't see that happening.

I’m not saying you’re wrong but where is this 12 points coming from?

If we look at Killie as the obvious target, assuming we lose tomorrow and say we beat them at rugby park, we only have three points to catch up on them.

Imo it’s likely they will lose to rangers and Celtc. If we beat them then they would need to beat hearts, that’s not a banker at all, as poor as hearts are.

If we beat Killie and Hearts there’s every chance we could catch them, if we beat Aberdeen as well then I think we almost definitely will, if we get the 12 points you’re talking about I suspect there’s a good chance we’ll finish third.

hibbyfraelibby
20-04-2019, 05:21 PM
Third is not beyond us...but only just.

Killie and Aberdeen will both drop points and we will beat Aberdeen last game. Celtic and Rangers will beat them too.

3rd on gd.Dont want 4th because you just know if we are Potter will finally get a trophy

NAE NOOKIE
20-04-2019, 05:23 PM

Killie played with 10 men for the majority of the match today and were down to 8 players by the end, so I wouldn't say the result tells us a lot about them. I wanted Killie to win because I thought our best chance of Europe was to catch Aberdeen because I think Killie are a better team than them.

IMO the best outcome would be for us to get to the last game of the season against Aberdeen with Europe still possible if we beat them … in all honesty if we lose to Celtic tomorrow I think our chance of Europe is already gone because to make up 6 points on Killie in 4 games would be a hell of a task and even then we are 2 goals worse off on goal difference, so chances are it would have to be 7 points.

Having said all that, the fixtures are tough for everybody so I'm not giving up just yet, as I said if we can get to the last game needing a win what a cracking last day of the season it will be.

bingo70
20-04-2019, 05:33 PM
Killie played with 10 men for the majority of the match today and were down to 8 players by the end, so I wouldn't say the result tells us a lot about them. I wanted Killie to win because I thought our best chance of Europe was to catch Aberdeen because I think Killie are a better team than them.

IMO the best outcome would be for us to get to the last game of the season against Aberdeen with Europe still possible if we beat them … in all honesty if we lose to Celtic tomorrow I think our chance of Europe is already gone because to make up 6 points on Killie in 4 games would be a hell of a task and even then we are 2 goals worse off on goal difference, so chances are it would have to be 7 points.

Having said all that, the fixtures are tough for everybody so I'm not giving up just yet, as I said if we can get to the last game needing a win what a cracking last day of the season it will be.

If we’re two goals worse off and catch up six points then our goal difference will almost definitely be better than theres.

I don’t get how we’re out of it if we lose tomorrow. We probably will in all likelihood, if we do then we’re 6 points behind Killie.

Next week we are at home to the worst team in the top 6, I don’t like being cocky before these games but let’s just say the league standings says we should win, Killie are away to Celtic and will probably lose. That’s us at three points behind. Beat Killie and we’re above them on goal difference with three games to play.

danhibees1875
20-04-2019, 05:45 PM
I agree with bingo. 9 points should be enough, by beating hearts, Killie, and Aberdeen.

Not an impossible ask. I'd rather Killie had won today and we were chasing Aberdeen though as we play them at home on the final day while Killie have a point to prove against rangers after their spat over tickets.

Keith_M
20-04-2019, 05:47 PM
I honestly don't know if we will or won't make it. That's what makes it exciting... and I'm going to enjoy every one of the last five games.

we are hibs
20-04-2019, 05:48 PM
As far as I'm concerned a win tomorrow would be a bonus. Just like last season when we faced them first after the split. We really need to be beating hearts. A draw away to rangers wouldn't be a poor result if we manage to get something out of the Celtic game. Killie away we need to be winning. Aberdeen too. I said I thought we would get 8 points and I still think that. Whether that's enough to finish 4th I don't know that depends on Killie and how they do. They are away to Celtic next week so come next Sunday tea time we could be 4th if all goes to plan.

SonOfDavidFrancey
20-04-2019, 05:54 PM
Shame we don’t have Killie next given their three red cards tosay

SJNB Hibby
20-04-2019, 06:02 PM

I know
Just talking in the grand scheme
But imagine us v Aberdeen with a euro spot at stake

erin go bragh
20-04-2019, 06:40 PM

We’re 9pts behind Aberdeen. Point off Celtic and we’re 8pts behind them .
We need to win three of our last four to get 4th . Aberdeen are too far in front for us to catch them imo. Would love to be proved wrong though 😁

Hibeesmad
20-04-2019, 06:45 PM
If we manage to win tomorrow and then beat Hearts to go into 4th above Kilmarnock...then the following week Hearts are home to Killie, Killie would be an absolute stick on to win if we are above them, Hearts are that obsessed.

Onceinawhile
20-04-2019, 07:00 PM
Too little too late unfortunately. Needed to beat killie when we drew 0-0.

Its a shame, but not a reflection on hecky. Just need to win a few games in the next 5 to ensure we keep some form of feel good factor.

Jack Hackett
20-04-2019, 07:09 PM
I honestly don't know if we will or won't make it. That's what makes it exciting... and I'm going to enjoy every one of the last five games.

:agree:

Way too many ifs buts and mibbaes. Every game (except the infirm one) will impact final positions. Buckle up!

bingo70
20-04-2019, 07:17 PM
Too little too late unfortunately. Needed to beat killie when we drew 0-0.

Its a shame, but not a reflection on hecky. Just need to win a few games in the next 5 to ensure we keep some form of feel good factor.

If we Beat Killie we’re only three points behind them with four other games to play and two of Killies are against the old firm. I don’t get how it’s too late to catch them?

That’s working on the assumption we lose tomorrow which isn’t a given.

MacGruber
20-04-2019, 07:20 PM
I think we will end up finishing 5th.
It's not beyond us clearly but just think it will go that way.
That however means finishing above Hearts again which considering where we came from when Heckongbottom took over and the fact they won the league in September makes me a happy hibby anyway. 4th I'll be happier, 3rd will see in a 3 day weekend

AZhibee
20-04-2019, 07:25 PM
I think 4th is doable, with victories over Aberdeen and Killie and Same results as Killie in other games. The extra wins will take care of goal differential. Stealing a point or two v Celtic or the orcs, or a Killie stumble v hearts would seal the deal. 3rd largely unattainable without a strange turn of events.

jakedance
20-04-2019, 07:38 PM
We’ll probably finish 5th and I’d be happy with that considering where we were two months ago. A win tomorrow and that all changes though.

danhibees1875
20-04-2019, 07:41 PM
If we manage to win tomorrow and then beat Hearts to go into 4th above Kilmarnock...then the following week Hearts are home to Killie, Killie would be an absolute stick on to win if we are above them, Hearts are that obsessed.

If nothing else it'll be good just to rehash the old "you should never want hearts to win" debate. :greengrin

badabing67
20-04-2019, 10:19 PM
I think outside of the old firm we have the strongest squad for the run in, with Gauld, Johnson, Spector, Whittaker and Agepong about to come in to contention for the first team. I think it will give us the edge over the rest. The only real concern I have for the chase for Europe is keeping Sparky fit. We don't have a ready replacement for him, If we have him for all of the last 5 games I think we will qualify for Europe. I'm optimistic we can anyway.

Alex Trager
20-04-2019, 11:33 PM
I think outside of the old firm we have the strongest squad for the run in, with Gauld, Johnson, Spector, Whittaker and Agepong about to come in to contention for the first team. I think it will give us the edge over the rest. The only real concern I have for the chase for Europe is keeping Sparky fit. We don't have a ready replacement for him, If we have him for all of the last 5 games I think we will qualify for Europe. I'm optimistic we can anyway.

You paint a much more optimistic picture than those above but I can see your points.

I will be extremely surprised if we get 3rd. It would be unreal really.
4th would also be superb. I think Celtic will win the cup so that spot will get it.
4th is much more doable than 3rd.

I’m excited for the games which I am delighted about all things considered.

Fingers crossed for the morn.

Brightside
20-04-2019, 11:43 PM
i think we will end up 4th. If we do the guy should get manager of the year based on the turn around.

Austinho
21-04-2019, 01:20 AM
4th place is in our hands now. No reason why we can’t do it.

B.H.F.C
21-04-2019, 07:35 AM
A result today would put us in a really strong position to go and catch Killie. I don’t think we’ll catch the sheep in third, but fourth is definitely doable.

Killie at Parkhead next week with a depleted squad when Celtic can win the league should see more dropped points from them.

Hermit Crab
21-04-2019, 07:41 AM
Think we will lose today, Celtic are just too strong and won with ease in the cup match.

Good chance of beating Hearts next week though

Lose away to Rangers, they should have given us a right humping in two of the three matches this season.

A draw at Kilmarnock, very tough to get a result there against a good Killy side.

We are due a win at home v Aberdeen, defensive howlers cost us last time v them at home.

I think we'll pick up 7 points post split.

1van Sprou7e
21-04-2019, 07:44 AM
Think we will lose today, Celtic are just too strong and won with ease in the cup match.

Good chance of beating Hearts next week though

Lose away to Rangers, they should have given us a right humping in two of the three matches this season.

A draw at Kilmarnock, very tough to get a result there against a good Killy side.

We are due a win at home v Aberdeen, defensive howlers cost us last time v them at home.

I think we'll pick up 7 points post split.

Probably fairly realistic but most likely wouldn't be enough for 4th

If we do it it would be a ridiculous turnaround but I think we're maybe getting ahead of ourselves a wee bit, probably just left ourselves a wee bit too much to do

coldingham hibs
21-04-2019, 07:45 AM
Need to win today & take it from there. Lose today & it’s 5th or 6th.

Hermit Crab
21-04-2019, 07:47 AM
Probably fairly realistic but most likely wouldn't be enough for 4th

If we do it it would be a ridiculous turnaround but I think we're maybe getting ahead of ourselves a wee bit, probably just left ourselves a wee bit too much to do

I think we will finish in the position we are in just now. Even if we somehow managed a point today that would be decent. Would mean that even if we lose to Hearts next week they couldn't go above us, just level on points with us having a better goal difference.

Hermit Crab
21-04-2019, 07:51 AM

If we win today it will be a massive result but I can't see it unfortunately. Celtic want the league wrapped up asap and while they cant win it today they need to win todays game so they can win it next week v Kilmarnock. Knowing Celtic they'll hang it out until they can win it at Ibrox. :greengrin

Keith_M
21-04-2019, 07:53 AM
4th place is in our hands now. No reason why we can’t do it.

You do realise you've just opened a massive can of worms with the use of that phrase?

You have no idea how Anal some people can be about it.

:wink:

B.H.F.C
21-04-2019, 07:55 AM

I don’t think a loss today rules us out of fourth.

Killie will lose at Parkhead next week, if we can win against Hearts we’ll be three points off them with three to play. We’d still have a chance.

green day
21-04-2019, 07:57 AM
I think for most of the teams, any points v Celtic is deemed a bonus, so even if we lose today its not the end of the world.

For me it is pretty straightforward - we need to win versus those in immediate contention for 4th (Killie and Hearts) and try to take something from Rangers and Celtic matches.

If we do that, and Killie and Hearts lose a couple on the bounce - we are into the last match v Aberdeen with the potential that a win or draw gives us 4th.................and, I watched a lot of that Hearts Rangers game, they are awful - Celtic will need a collapse of monumental proportions to lose that cup final.

Borderhibbie76
21-04-2019, 08:14 AM
I think we will finish in the position we are in just now. Even if we somehow managed a point today that would be decent. Would mean that even if we lose to Hearts next week they couldn't go above us, just level on points with us having a better goal difference.For once I find myself agreeing with you HC...think we are all getting a bit ahead of ourselves...5th would be an excellent achievement given where we were when Hecky took the wheel?? Very unrealistic chance of 4th imo but cant see it myself. I will be happy with 5th and finishing about the Sept League champions

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

PatHead
21-04-2019, 08:37 AM
For once I find myself agreeing with you HC...think we are all getting a bit ahead of ourselves...5th would be an excellent achievement given where we were when Hecky took the wheel?? Very unrealistic chance of 4th imo but cant see it myself. I will be happy with 5th and finishing about the Sept League champions

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

A lot of folk said top six was unachievable and we finished in 5th place. Let's just take it one game at a time.

Bobby's Cinema
21-04-2019, 10:10 AM
Killi go to Celtic Park next week before we play Hearts at ER. That will hopefully reduce the gap, I'd give it a 50/50 chance whether we have 4th to fight for the last game of the season or not.