PDA

View Full Version : Ajax

SChibs
19-04-2019, 07:34 PM
The Dutch league have suspended a weekend of fixtures to allow Ajax to get adequate rest before their UCL semi.

A controversial to say the least. I'm not sure how it is being taken in the Netherlands

Ryan91
19-04-2019, 08:34 PM
The Dutch league have suspended a weekend of fixtures to allow Ajax to get adequate rest before their UCL semi.

A controversial to say the least. I'm not sure how it is being taken in the Netherlands

I believe that it was put to the rest of the clubs in the Eredivisie and they all agreed to postpone the fixtures

Diclonius
19-04-2019, 08:47 PM
Imagine if they postponed all the SPFL fixtures because Celtic were in the semi final. We'd be raging.

JimBHibees
19-04-2019, 08:49 PM
I believe that it was put to the rest of the clubs in the Eredivisie and they all agreed to postpone the fixtures

Think all clubs agreed this at the start of the season.

Hibeesmad
19-04-2019, 08:50 PM
I think money made from European matches is shared between all clubs in the Dutch league. I may be wrong but that's what I've heard, think that is why most teams were happy to give Ajax an advantage for their own possible benefit. But as one or two have said, if that happened in Scotland there would be uproar.

Smartie
19-04-2019, 09:06 PM
I think it's a great idea.

They should do it here.

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2019, 10:51 PM
I think money made from European matches is shared between all clubs in the Dutch league. I may be wrong but that's what I've heard, think that is why most teams were happy to give Ajax an advantage for their own possible benefit. But as one or two have said, if that happened in Scotland there would be uproar.
I'm pretty sure only a very small % is shared and that is only to stop them getting plastic parks because Ajax and PSV hate them.

Lancs Harp
19-04-2019, 10:52 PM
I think it's a great idea.

They should do it here.

No we cant be cancelling the SPL league programme because Ajax reach a European Semi final. :greengrin:wink:

franck sauzee
20-04-2019, 05:36 AM
The year Rangers got to the Europa League final our league did them no favours. As much as I hate them I thought it was an absolute disgrace. We should be doing what we can to raise the profile of our league

murray26
20-04-2019, 08:04 AM
The year Rangers got to the Europa League final our league did them no favours. As much as I hate them I thought it was an absolute disgrace. We should be doing what we can to raise the profile of our league

I absolutely loved it.. Huns winning anywhere at anything is a bad thing.

Bishop Hibee
20-04-2019, 08:08 AM

This

neil7908
20-04-2019, 08:08 AM

I have to say I agree. I really don't get the logic behind Scottish football rivals "backing" each other in Europe.

We are literally in direct competition. I get whole coefficient argument but the last thing I want my club doing is taking steps to strengthen our competitors and get them more money and a higher profile.

Besties Debut
20-04-2019, 08:41 AM

A controversial to say the least. I'm not sure how it is being taken in the Netherlands Ajax could play in the Dutch league the day before the Spurs game and still wn. They are a fantastic young team

The Spaceman
20-04-2019, 08:51 AM
This is the highest profile European run their division has had for decades. Completely rational decision - Ajax winning would do wonders for the Eredivisie. Good on them. I mean if it was the OF I’d not be so forgiving 😂

Hibeesmad
20-04-2019, 08:56 AM
Ajax could play in the Dutch league the day before the Spurs game and still wn. They are a fantastic young team

Man City are better and Spurs beat them over 2 legs

Centre Hawf
20-04-2019, 08:58 AM
Personally would rather we supported our teams in Europe like that. We probably won't see a Scottish team make it to a Europa League final again for a long long time. Some of us may never actually see it again. I don't like them. But I wanted them to win the Europa League that year in Manchester. Much like I would want Celtic to do it if they were, and I think part of me wouldn't mind it if Hearts did it because it would mean we were getting something right football wise in Scotland.

I would still laugh my head off if they royally embarrassed themselves as well.

neil7908
20-04-2019, 09:11 AM
This is the highest profile European run their division has had for decades. Completely rational decision - Ajax winning would do wonders for the Eredivisie. Good on them. I mean if it was the OF I’d not be so forgiving 😂

This is what I don't understand - how would Ajax winning do wonders for the domestic league? Coefficient is the only one thing that would potentially help others but you would have Ajax getting a huge injection of cash to help them dominate domestically.

This is the kind of logic we've had for ages in Scotland and all its served to do is strengthen the OF at expense of everyone else.

Keith_M
20-04-2019, 09:20 AM
Maybe the other Dutch clubs don't hate Ajax as much as we hate Celtc and The Rangers.

danhibees1875
20-04-2019, 10:10 AM
This is what I don't understand - how would Ajax winning do wonders for the domestic league? Coefficient is the only one thing that would potentially help others but you would have Ajax getting a huge injection of cash to help them dominate domestically.

This is the kind of logic we've had for ages in Scotland and all its served to do is strengthen the OF at expense of everyone else.

I think the Netherlands have a system to distribute European prize money between all the clubs to strengthen their academies.

I don't think we've ever had this logic in Scotland - most of the time people want the non-scottish team to win.

The Modfather
20-04-2019, 10:19 AM
Can understand postponing Ajax’s game, but what’s the point or benefit in all other fixtures not being played?

Sweet Left Peg
20-04-2019, 10:53 AM

Rangers also had chances to help themselves by knocking teams out of the Scottish Cup at the first time of asking and therefore not needing replays at the time the league was splitting. Ourselves and Thistle, I think were the teams in question. There was a pile up of fixtures before the UEFA final if I remember, weather related, so it wasn't as straightforward as Rangers would have us believe.

7Hero
20-04-2019, 10:55 AM
The dutch split the income, first country to do so https://eredivisie.nl/en-us/highlighted/eredivisie-first-league-to-redistribute-revenues-from-uefa-club-competitions.

Add in the added profile for the league, the increase potential for TV money / sponsorship etc. Its a great decision, forward thinking, not surprising form a country that gets so many things right.

In case anyone is interested here's their distribution of tv rights, despite us having the "massive" teams who play in glasgow who have "worldwide audiences" we don't get even close to this type of deal.. https://www.afc-ajax.info/en/television-revenue/2016-17

FWIW Holland 3x the population of Scotland.

-Jonesy-
20-04-2019, 12:46 PM
Don’t we occasionally let the the rangers and Celtic postpone fixtures so they can play cash generating high profile friendlies at the start of the season sometimes??

Keith_M
20-04-2019, 01:48 PM
Obviously Hearts are the dirtiest team in in Scotland,but...

...are Ajax the cleanest team in the Netherlands?

:dunno:

neil7908
20-04-2019, 01:49 PM
The dutch split the income, first country to do so https://eredivisie.nl/en-us/highlighted/eredivisie-first-league-to-redistribute-revenues-from-uefa-club-competitions.

Add in the added profile for the league, the increase potential for TV money / sponsorship etc. Its a great decision, forward thinking, not surprising form a country that gets so many things right.

In case anyone is interested here's their distribution of tv rights, despite us having the "massive" teams who play in glasgow who have "worldwide audiences" we don't get even close to this type of deal.. https://www.afc-ajax.info/en/television-revenue/2016-17

FWIW Holland 3x the population of Scotland.

Cheers for this and really interesting. Snowballs chance in the hell of this happening in Scotland unfortunately.

1875Sean
20-04-2019, 03:08 PM
Interesting to hear Ajax have a smaller wage budget than Celtic, shows you how much they have achieved

Keith_M
20-04-2019, 04:24 PM
Interesting to hear Ajax have a smaller wage budget than Celtic, shows you how much they have achieved

So The Rangers don't actually have an excuse for not catching them.

They spent what budget they had on big name players, with no plans for the long term.

Onceinawhile
20-04-2019, 04:43 PM

They spend more on transfer fees though.

Thing is, they make up their squad with their own players, so their ability level tends to be cyclical. I wish we could get as many players through the youth system to the first team as they do.