PDA

View Full Version : Vangaurd Bears, Orange = Protestant

Keith_M
18-04-2019, 06:42 PM
Apparently (https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/17583393.vanguard-bears-join-protest-against-protestant-discrimination-by-glasgow-city-council/)

Funnily enough, a couple of posters on here were trying to push the same logic a couple of days ago.

Bangkok Hibby
18-04-2019, 06:47 PM
I'm not even going to read it. Poisonous
****s

Keith_M
18-04-2019, 06:51 PM
I'm not even going to read it. Poisonous
****s

It's an article from The Herald.

'It comes after the council made the decision to reroute a planned parade involving the Apprentice Boys of Derry which had planned to pass St Alphonsus church, were parish priest Cannon Tom White was spat at during an Orange Walk last year.

Taking to Twitter to announce the move, the Vanguard Bears wrote: "Meet at 12.30pm on April 27 at George Square, Glasgow to protest against discrimination of our culture.

"Enough is enough."

The statement from the SPAD (Scottish Protestants Against Discrimination) said: "The decision taken yesterday by Glasgow City Council and Police Scotland is a clear attack on the Culture and Beliefs of the Protestant people of Scotland (https://www.heraldscotland.com/search/?search=Scotland&topic_id=8820) and in doing so have created a 'No Go Area' for Protestants. "

Ringothedog
18-04-2019, 06:59 PM
I am Protestant but certainly don’t live by their beliefs, they are orange bigots nothing more and nothing less. They certainly don’t talk for the Protestants of Scotland and their arrogance to think they do is outrageous

Sir David Gray
18-04-2019, 07:11 PM
As a Protestant, I don't feel my culture's being discriminated against.

Keith_M
18-04-2019, 07:16 PM

You're obviously doing it wrong.

:greengrin

MWHIBBIES
18-04-2019, 07:17 PM
Guess I'll have to buy tangerines instead.

tamig
18-04-2019, 07:21 PM
what a bunch of erses. They seem confused. Is it discrimination against a religion or against their “culture”? Some of the comments on the article are mind numbing.

Besties Debut
18-04-2019, 07:23 PM
They seem oblivious to the reasons the march is getting diverted. Mind you spitting on priests is probably not a big deal to them.

Sir David Gray
18-04-2019, 07:24 PM
You're obviously doing it wrong.

:greengrin

I have a feeling these guys wouldn't class me as one of their own.

Shame. :greengrin

Bostonhibby
18-04-2019, 07:29 PM
As a Protestant, I don't feel my culture's being discriminated against.I'm an atheist who used to be a protestant but gave up because of these vanguard types .

If they get on okay with their protest I might start up again and set up SPUD for those who feel under discrimination and look, feel or think like a potato.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Keith_M
18-04-2019, 07:35 PM
I'm an atheist who used to be a protestant but gave up because of these vanguard types .

If they get on okay with their protest I might start up again and set up SPUD for those who feel under discrimination and look, feel or think like a potato.

Can I join, please?

Hibernia&Alba
18-04-2019, 07:36 PM
I am Protestant but certainly don’t live by their beliefs, they are orange bigots nothing more and nothing less. They certainly don’t talk for the Protestants of Scotland and their arrogance to think they do is outrageous

Well said, pal. I was raised Catholic, though I'm now atheist, and draw a sharp distinction between mainstream Protestants and the Orange Order. The latter basically don't want Catholics here and see Scotland as exclusively Protestant, as we all know. They are a throwback to the Reformation era and continue to fight four hundred year old battles. Total idiots who, thankfully, are on the wane.

Sylar
18-04-2019, 07:40 PM
I understand they're a group of Rangers fans, but really, WTF is the footballing connection here?

Ringothedog
18-04-2019, 07:41 PM
Well said, pal. I was raised Catholic, though I'm now atheist, and draw a sharp distinction between mainstream Protestants and the Orange Order. The latter basically don't want Catholics here and see Scotland as exclusively Protestant, as we all know. They are a throwback to the Reformation era and continue to fight four hundred year old battles. Total idiots who, thankfully, are on the wane.

Spot on 👍

Bostonhibby
18-04-2019, 07:44 PM
Can I join, please?If you've got an apron, a goat and a pechant for being ruled by camp looking dutch men who wear wigs and make up you're in.

If there's enough interest we'll get a lodge going and sing about events from centuries ago that we don't really understand that happened in countries we've never been to.

Religion, who'd have thought it could be so much fun?

Fife-Hibee
18-04-2019, 07:46 PM
I understand they're a group of Rangers fans, but really, WTF is the footballing connection here?

If those 2 "footballing" clubs didn't exist, they probably wouldn't either in 2019.

Kato
18-04-2019, 07:56 PM

I was brought up protestant, sort off, but can't remember the bit that said this meant being part of the Orange Order.

cabbageandribs1875
18-04-2019, 07:58 PM
a clear attack on the Culture and Beliefs of the Protestant people of Scotland (https://www.heraldscotland.com/search/?search=Scotland&topic_id=8820)

not in my name, you shower of bigoted sectarian s***e, utter filth, it's the 21st century you apron-wearing goat-interfering neanderthals

ACLeith
18-04-2019, 07:58 PM

Agree 100%, except your use of "think" in the last sentence. Can't use that word in connection with them. "Shout", "spew", would be ok ?

Keith_M
18-04-2019, 08:04 PM
If you've got an apron, a goat and a pechant for being ruled by camp looking dutch men who wear wigs and make up you're in.

If there's enough interest we'll get a lodge going and sing about events from centuries ago that we don't really understand that happened in countries we've never been to.

Religion, who'd have thought it could be so much fun?

Oh, I didn't realise there were Goats, or dodgy Dutch guys, involved.

I'll just pass, then.

Bostonhibby
18-04-2019, 08:05 PM
Oh, I didn't realise there were Goats, or dodgy Dutch guys, involved.

I'll just pass, then.Sounds like you've not been listening to the songs[emoji6]

fiolex1
18-04-2019, 08:09 PM
Most of these jokers are not religious in the slightest. Not one single rangers supporter I know from my youth attended church, I should know as I attended regular in the BB’s.

Bristolhibby
18-04-2019, 08:14 PM
I’m Christened Church of Scotland. (No choice in that matter, live life as an atheist). But those morons can go **** themselves.

J

Joe6-2
18-04-2019, 08:16 PM
You just couldn’t make it up!!

Greenfly
18-04-2019, 10:00 PM
These bampots are as committed to the Protestant branch of the Christian faith as Craig Levein is to Hibs. Their pretence to use religion as some kind of justification for hating others reveals a staggering ignorance of the same faith they claim to follow. But being the peurile tossers that they are they can't see the embarrassing irony in any of it. They also must have very small willies - guaranteed!

O'Rourke3
18-04-2019, 11:00 PM
If the whole point of your culture is to "get right up the kafflics" then with all respect f@@@ the right off

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
19-04-2019, 06:55 AM
One of the conditions attached to Orange Order marches or similar is that they stop playing when passing places of worship to avoid inciting trouble. Last year someone spectating at the march assaulted a member of the public going about his everyday business outside a place of worship.

This isn't a discrimination against Protestant culture (or even against a small fraternal organisation within Protestantism). It's a measure to protect the public from people who can't control themselves around a Catholic Church.

It's very sad really. I'll be attending an ecumenical Stations of The Cross tonight jointly organised by the local Catholic, Church of Scotland, Episcopalian and Baptist Church whilst later this month others will be marching about singing songs of hatred. I think I know who' gets' the message of Easter and who doesn't.

Scorrie
19-04-2019, 07:01 AM
I'm an atheist who used to be a protestant but gave up because of these vanguard types .

SPUD eh? That sounds a-peeling

GlesgaeHibby
19-04-2019, 07:17 AM
One of the conditions attached to Orange Order marches or similar is that they stop playing when passing places of worship to avoid inciting trouble. Last year someone spectating at the march assaulted a member of the public going about his everyday business outside a place of worship.

This isn't a discrimination against Protestant culture (or even against a small fraternal organisation within Protestantism). It's a measure to protect the public from people who can't control themselves around a Catholic Church.

It's very sad really. I'll be attending an ecumenical Stations of The Cross tonight jointly organised by the local Catholic, Church of Scotland, Episcopalian and Baptist Church whilst later this month others will be marching about singing songs of hatred. I think I know who' gets' the message of Easter and who doesn't.

:agree: This.

Never understood their mentality - how can you be a Protestant Atheist? I'd wager plenty of these idiots haven't been in a church other than for weddings or funerals.

Bishop Hibee
19-04-2019, 07:19 AM

Well said. I’ll be at a similar service in Leith this evening. Vanguard Bears have nothing in common with any church going Protestants I know.

JohnMcM
19-04-2019, 07:22 AM
SPUD eh? That sounds a-peeling

Oh no, don't start with puns. Others will just chip in.:greengrin

Paisley Hibby
19-04-2019, 07:57 AM
They seem oblivious to the reasons the march is getting diverted. Mind you spitting on priests is probably not a big deal to them.

A badge of honour I'd have thought.

Keith_M
19-04-2019, 08:01 AM

:agree:

I wonder how many of them actually demonstrate their 'christian' beliefs in everyday life.

PatHead
19-04-2019, 08:36 AM
Save the goats.

Bostonhibby
19-04-2019, 08:45 AM
Save the goats.I'm more worried about the vans now to be honest. These are the people who lost an entire football club so why let them guard a van?

tamig
19-04-2019, 08:51 AM
I'm more worried about the vans now to be honest. These are the people who lost an entire football club so why let them guard a van?

Does HC not do something like that with trains?

JeMeSouviens
19-04-2019, 08:59 AM
Can I be the first to call them orange *******s? :devil::na na:

Carheenlea
19-04-2019, 09:09 AM
I bet you not one of the Vangaurd Bears attends church outwith weddings and funerals or actually practices the religion they claim to to be protecting. They’re ideology is sectarianism and bigotry, not the Protestant faith. Take Rangers out the equation and not one of them would have any interest in this at all. Clowns :lolrangers:

AltheHibby
19-04-2019, 09:13 AM
:agree: This.

Never understood their mentality - how can you be a Protestant Atheist? I'd wager plenty of these idiots haven't been in a church other than for weddings or funerals.

I think the mentality is 'I hate you because you don't bother going to a different church from the one I don't bother going to'.

Bristolhibby
19-04-2019, 09:36 AM
IMO it’s all part of them pining for a social order that doesn’t exist anymore, when Protestants were the “peepul”, you could be sure if a job over a Catholic lad. Society from the King downward was geared to protecting “The Faith”.

Catholic’s were second class citizens.

Now the world is more enlightened, their superiority has been eroded. They have to compete in life with Kafflicks, Muslims, Brown people, black people and they rage against this.

Think the last two global elections

USA - “Make America Great AGAIN”
Brexit - “Take BACK Control”

Both selling an idea that things were better. This is lapped up and gives them a sense of superiority that things genuinely were better when Catholic’s were inferior to them.

Sadly this narrative is tearing its head much more in the world and we are having to deal with the ugly consequences.

J

GlesgaeHibby
19-04-2019, 09:40 AM
I think the mentality is 'I hate you because you don't bother going to a different church from the one I don't bother going to'.

Which to anybody with > 1 brain cell is mental. The idea of protestant or catholic atheists is absurd.

Hibernia&Alba
19-04-2019, 10:33 AM

A condition they often like to ignore when they can get away with it, making a point of stopping outside a Catholic church, playing a sectarian ditty and smashing hell out of that big drum whilst the clowns who are watching lap it up.

Hibernia&Alba
19-04-2019, 10:35 AM
IMO it’s all part of them pining for a social order that doesn’t exist anymore, when Protestants were the “peepul”, you could be sure if a job over a Catholic lad. Society from the King downward was geared to protecting “The Faith”.

Catholic’s were second class citizens.

Now the world is more enlightened, their superiority has been eroded. They have to compete in life with Kafflicks, Muslims, Brown people, black people and they rage against this.

Think the last two global elections

USA - “Make America Great AGAIN”
Brexit - “Take BACK Control”

Both selling an idea that things were better. This is lapped up and gives them a sense of superiority that things genuinely were better when Catholic’s were inferior to them.

Sadly this narrative is tearing its head much more in the world and we are having to deal with the ugly consequences.

J

Excellent post. To groups like the OO and far right political parties, equality means they are being discriminated against.

JimBHibees
19-04-2019, 10:48 AM

Superb. :not worth

ACLeith
19-04-2019, 11:40 AM
Well said. I’ll be at a similar service in Leith this evening. Vanguard Bears have nothing in common with any church going Protestants I know.

As will I. TBH, I also look forward to the hot cross buns in the hall afterwards!

Keith_M
19-04-2019, 12:55 PM
Can I be the first to call them orange *******s? :devil::na na:

:tsk tsk:

Don't you know that's a sectarian term, due to the equivalance between being Orange and Protestant?

JeMeSouviens
19-04-2019, 01:19 PM
:tsk tsk:

Don't you know that's a sectarian term, due to the equivalance between being Orange and Protestant?

Hmmph, next you'll be telling me I can't call them Hun *******s either :wink: