PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Summer 2019 transfer thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59

MWHIBBIES
30-06-2019, 09:48 AM
Jeez you're like a dog with a bone, is there really any need to continually slag off an ex player who gave his all when he played for us.I'm not slagging him off. I didn't call him hopeless or useless. I'm giving my opinion on his ability on the pitch after he came up in discussion. A perfectly reasonable thing to do on a forum.

You seriously don't think a year out through injury played any part in that decision? It's ironic really in that if there's one current player who Forster can genuinely be compared to it's Darren M. Neither of them the most technically gifted,nor the quickest though I remember some swashbuckling right back runs from Jordon, but both committed, strong & physical & brave as they come & highly popular/respected by their team mates. Those are great attributes for any player & I think its pertinent that he's just been signed by an ex team mate.I agree, one is just clearly much better than the other.

Brightside
30-06-2019, 09:49 AM
I thought he was brilliant at attacking the ball hence original post and no worse at defending than Paul or Darren who ,like anybody, have their moments. Good luck to the lad

Nonsense

BILLYHIBS
30-06-2019, 09:50 AM
So 28 games in 3 years, quite a few of which will be alongside them in a back 3 before McGregor joined.

He didn't miss the whole season injured, he was fit and farmed out on loan because he couldn't get in the side.

He just wasn't good enough, awful in our relegation season, forgotten because he was younger I guess.

McGregor done everything Forster done, just to a much higher level. Great upgrade from Stubbs.

HaHa!

Your point was how many games did he start since the fonts came in?

2014/15 18 starts 3 as a sub 1 goal

2015/16 1 start then loaned out to Derek Adams at Plymouth for 12 starts

Derek Adams obviously remembered him from his HIBS days and liked what he saw

2016/17 8 starts 14 as a sub 1 goal

Neil Lennon obviously valued the contribution Forster could make to close down the game in our Championship winning season

2013/14 The Wilderness Years under Butcher 30 starts 4 goals

Very few HIBS players survived that period at HIBS and lived to tell the tale
He was very much a young lad thrown in at the deep end

I admit not good enough for the level we are at just now but football is not just about heading and kicking it is about focus guts attitude determination desire and the will to win and he had it in abundance

If Scott McKenna is worth 8m?

GGTTH

Source: fitbastats

GibbytheHibby2
30-06-2019, 09:52 AM
Ryan Gauld to be released by sporting with a year left on his deal. Wonder where he will end up next. Unlucky to get injured here and I think he would've made an impact had he stayed fit. Sad that some hibs fans just followed that turd Kris boyd's analysis of him after his first 45 minutes of football in about 5 months. Shouldn't have been judged on that.

Spot on. He's a damn clever player. I thought he was MOTM at St Mirren away, played some cracking through balls that we couldn't convert.

Eyrie
30-06-2019, 10:05 AM
Ryan Gauld to be released by sporting with a year left on his deal. Wonder where he will end up next. Unlucky to get injured here and I think he would've made an impact had he stayed fit. Sad that some hibs fans just followed that turd Kris boyd's analysis of him after his first 45 minutes of football in about 5 months. Shouldn't have been judged on that.

I'll judge Gauld on what I saw of him in a Hibs shirt, and that wasn't enough for me to be interested in bringing him back.

There's also the question of how he fits into a midfield that already has Allan, Mallan and Murray (plus cover from Newall and Horgan) but no box to box or defensive players.

Since452
30-06-2019, 10:07 AM

Back to Dundee United would be my bet

ThatDayInMay
30-06-2019, 10:16 AM

Dundee United bound.

we are hibs
30-06-2019, 10:29 AM
I'll judge Gauld on what I saw of him in a Hibs shirt, and that wasn't enough for me to be interested in bringing him back.

There's also the question of how he fits into a midfield that already has Allan, Mallan and Murray (plus cover from Newall and Horgan) but no box to box or defensive players.

I'm not saying I would re sign him but he barely played more than 90 minutes in his entire spell for us through injury. Don't know how people can say hes a wee laddie still and all that because of being chucked into his first start in 3 and a half months away to rangers. There were also far bigger culprits in that first half of the game yet Boyd and some hibs fans seen fit to hound him for some bizarre reason. Hopefully he goes somewhere and finds somewhere to settle down. Maybe he's like scott allan with us and Dundee United is where he plays his best football If he ends up back there

A Hi-Bee
30-06-2019, 10:44 AM
HaHa!

Neil Lennon obviously valued the contribution Forster could make to close down the game in our Championship winning season

I admit not good enough for the level we are at just now but football is not just about heading and kicking it is about focus guts attitude determination desire and the will to win and he had it in abundance

GGTTH

Foster was a good Hibs man while he was at E.R. wish him all the best in his future playing days.

:flag::flag::flag:

F

MWHIBBIES
30-06-2019, 11:15 AM
HaHa!

GGTTH

Source: fitbastatsOkay so he played a bit in the first championship season and the promotion season (started about 3 important games, rest were against pub teams in cups)

He was pretty awful under Butcher. Some dreadful performances.

He had a good attitude maybe, although weren't there rumours of him getting a tattoo during the season, against the clubs rules, which ruled him out of playing for a bit? Probably rubbish.

McKenna is a much better player than Forster, not even close. We upgraded with 4 much better players.

neil7908
30-06-2019, 11:18 AM

I'd think he was worth a punt for us if we we didn't already have Allan and Mallan who are similar players.

I can see him flourishing in the right team. A bit like Scott Allan in fact.

jacomo
30-06-2019, 11:56 AM

What should he have been judged on then? His contribution as a Hibs player?

Gauld is obviously a promising talent but it’s telling that few Hibs fans have campaigned for his return. He was unlucky with injury with us but still... he did very little to suggest he would get into our first 11.

Cabbage-Patch
30-06-2019, 11:57 AM
See Mulumbu has been released by Celtic. Is he the midfield enforcer we need?

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/youssouf-mulumbu-released-celtic-neil-17281420

CapitalGreen
30-06-2019, 12:09 PM

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/youssouf-mulumbu-released-celtic-neil-17281420

No

Ozyhibby
30-06-2019, 12:11 PM
John McGinn was a Scottish Championship player.

Not at 25 years old he isn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since452
30-06-2019, 12:18 PM

Would be over the moon if we signed him

Paisley Hibby
30-06-2019, 12:20 PM
I'm not slagging him off. I didn't call him hopeless or useless. I'm giving my opinion on his ability on the pitch after he came up in discussion. A perfectly reasonable thing to do on a forum.

I agree, one is just clearly much better than the other.
I'm with J-C and Brog. Don't understand your need to be so negative about him but if it makes you feel good for some reason then hey ho...I wish him all the best at Dundee (unless ever playing us of course).

Just Jimmy
30-06-2019, 12:21 PM
What should he have been judged on then? His contribution as a Hibs player?

Gauld is obviously a promising talent but it’s telling that few Hibs fans have campaigned for his return. He was unlucky with injury with us but still... he did very little to suggest he would get into our first 11.I'd roll the dice. if he's free and relatively cheap wages I'd take a chance. 3 year deal. let him settle in and get back to what He was at Utd. solid back up to Scotty

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
30-06-2019, 12:29 PM
Your post effectively suggested that anyone playing in our Championship is 'not good enough'. That's nonsense. A quick trawl through the players who represented us in our 3 seasonsSJM is the obvious example

I’m wasting my own time here. Forster tried his best but was not good enough. I wish him all the best with Dundee.

brog
30-06-2019, 12:32 PM
Not at 25 years old he isn’t.

Your post effectively suggested that anyone playing in our Championship is 'not good enough'. That's nonsense & you know it. A quick trawl through the players who represented us in our 3 recent seasons quickly disproves that. Many of those, SDG & Darren M being examples were older than 25. Sauzee & Latapy were also reasonable older, lower league players.

MWHIBBIES
30-06-2019, 12:39 PM
I'm with J-C and Brog. Don't understand your need to be so negative about him but if it makes you feel good for some reason then hey ho...I wish him all the best at Dundee (unless ever playing us of course).

It doesn't make me feel good or bad, I'm participating in a discussion on a forum. I don't need to be negative. I think the real sad ones are the ones judging me based on my opinions of an ex player. I guess I should just follow the sheep? No thanks.

I hope he does well as well, I have nothing personal against him, I just don't think he was very good.

MWHIBBIES
30-06-2019, 12:41 PM
I’m wasting my own time here. Forster tried his best but was not good enough. I wish him all the best with Dundee.

Exactly. I really don't see what's wrong with saying that. He showed very little, less than Mcpake and Mcgivern who get slaughtered on here. I don't dislike the guy, we just found much better players.

Heisenberg
30-06-2019, 12:50 PM
It doesn't make me feel good or bad, I'm participating in a discussion on a forum. I don't need to be negative. I think the real sad ones are the ones judging me based on my opinions of an ex player. I guess I should just follow the sheep? No thanks.

I hope he does well as well, I have nothing personal against him, I just don't think he was very good.

I agree with you. As always, because he came from the youth team he got an easier time of it. He wasn’t good enough for the top level in Scotland but might do ok for Dundee. He’s nowhere near the level of Hanlon, McGregor or Porteous.

BILLYHIBS
30-06-2019, 12:52 PM
Okay so he played a bit in the first championship season and the promotion season (started about 3 important games, rest were against pub teams in cups)

He was pretty awful under Butcher. Some dreadful performances.

He had a good attitude maybe, although weren't there rumours of him getting a tattoo during the season, against the clubs rules, which ruled him out of playing for a bit? Probably rubbish.

McKenna is a much better player than Forster, not even close. We upgraded with 4 much better players.

Matches against pub teams in cups we were unable to win:

Came on 90 mins in a 1-3 loss to QOS LC

Challenge Cup Turff Utd 3-0 St Mirren 1-2 loss

Scottish Cup Started Bonnyrigg Rose scored, Hearts and Ayr United

Played in the Keatings game 2-1 win over Falkirk

2016/17 Championship P 24 D 15 L 7

Terry Butcher took over 30/11/13

The wheels came off the bus 10/1/14 with a 0-1 loss away to the sheep

He left 25/5/14

Not Jordan’s fault Butcher kept picking him probably because he had told the senior pros their contracts would not be renewed

I thought you might like Scott McKenna because he can kick and head a ball quite hard usually the way he is facing :greengrin

thegaffer12
30-06-2019, 12:53 PM

People writing off our new striker for the sake of a defensive midfielder. Shocking.

Aldo
30-06-2019, 12:53 PM

No from me

MWHIBBIES
30-06-2019, 12:55 PM
Matches against pub teams in cups we were unable to win:

Came on 90 mins in a 1-3 loss to QOS LC

Challenge Cup Turff Utd 3-0 St Mirren 1-2 loss

Scottish Cup Started Bonnyrigg Rose scored, Hearts and Ayr United

Played in the Keatings game 2-1 win over Falkirk

2016/17 Championship P 24 D 15 L 7

Terry Butcher took over 30/11/13

The wheels came off the bus 10/1/14 with a 0-1 loss away to the sheep

He left 25/5/14

Not Jordan’s fault Butcher kept picking him probably because he had told the senior pros their contracts would not be renewed

I thought you might like Scott McKenna because he can kick and head a ball quite hard usually the way he is facing :greengrin
You're just blurting out random facts now that arent really relevant. You know you don't have to press enter after every sentence right?

BILLYHIBS
30-06-2019, 12:57 PM
You're just blurting out random facts now that arent really relevant. You know you don't have to press enter after every sentence right?

They are facts not stuff I have made up :greengrin

The 90+2
30-06-2019, 01:01 PM
I agree with you. As always, because he came from the youth team he got an easier time of it. He wasn’t good enough for the top level in Scotland but might do ok for Dundee. He’s nowhere near the level of Hanlon, McGregor or Porteous.

Time is very much on his side be as good as two of the three. Not for a player who looked retirement in the eye down to injury.

MWHIBBIES
30-06-2019, 01:01 PM
They are facts not stuff I have made up :greengrin

Okay. If there are 50 people in a room there is a 99% chance 2 of them have the same birthday. That's a fact. Still not relevant and Forster still wasn't good enough.

jacomo
30-06-2019, 01:06 PM
I'd roll the dice. if he's free and relatively cheap wages I'd take a chance. 3 year deal. let him settle in and get back to what He was at Utd. solid back up to Scotty

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Fair enough.

But with Hecky saying he wants to operate with a tight squad and other options at AM, I think a deal for Gauld is unlikely.

If he really is available I would prioritise Mulumbu who will no doubt expect a decent wedge.

BILLYHIBS
30-06-2019, 01:10 PM
Okay. If there are 50 people in a room there is a 99% chance 2 of them have the same birthday. That's a fact. Still not relevant and Forster still wasn't good enough.

The facts quoted were relevant to your tin pot cup jibes comment

I Agree He was not good enough but while he was here he gave 100% for the jersey and that is all any HIBS fan can ask for

Jordan did not want to leave but as you quite rightly say once Daz arrived and then Efe the writing was on the wall and he was not guaranteed game time

We move on

Onwards and upwards

h18eeynick
30-06-2019, 01:12 PM

Sorry that I started this debate about Forster! I think we can all agree to disagree that some of us thought Jordan did a decent job and some think he didnt. The personal insults are becoming a tad boring and are the main reason I dont post a lot as it honestly isnt worth the hassle. I appreciate opinions and accept yours MWHIBBIES . Can we all just move on ?

hibbyfraelibby
30-06-2019, 01:14 PM

99.532% of facts are just made up. Fact

The Modfather
30-06-2019, 01:16 PM

How can there be a 99% chance two of the people have the same birthday when there’s 365 days to have a birthday in and only 50 people?

MWHIBBIES
30-06-2019, 01:19 PM
How can there be a 99% chance two of the people have the same birthday when there’s 365 days to have a birthday in and only 50 people?

Because it's me then 49 others, then you and 49 others etc. It's not just 50 chances.

HoboHarry
30-06-2019, 01:23 PM
99.532% of facts are just made up. Fact
And the remaining 14.658% are just outright lies....

The Modfather
30-06-2019, 01:27 PM
Because it's me then 49 others, then you and 49 others etc. It's not just 50 chances.

I’m away to lye down after trying to get my head around the birthday paradox

https://betterexplained.com/articles/understanding-the-birthday-paradox/

HoboHarry
30-06-2019, 01:29 PM
I’m away to lye down after trying to get my head around the birthday paradox

https://betterexplained.com/articles/understanding-the-birthday-paradox/
Can you find a link to the article that's written in ferkin English?

BILLYHIBS
30-06-2019, 01:43 PM

96.5 %

:thumbsup:

Iggy Pope
30-06-2019, 01:47 PM
The facts quoted were relevant to your tin pot cup jibes comment

I Agree He was not good enough but while he was here he gave 100% for the jersey and that is all any HIBS fan can ask for

Jordan did not want to leave but as you quite rightly say once Daz arrived and then Efe the writing was on the wall and he was not guaranteed game time

We move on

Onwards and upwards

The pub teams crap I found particularly irritating. Clubs that have been around a long time and deserving some respect.

Diclonius
30-06-2019, 01:51 PM
Hearts superstar Olly Lee told he's not needed.

MWHIBBIES
30-06-2019, 01:55 PM
96.5 %

You're right, I was a bit off. Like your analysis of Forster actually. :greengrin

SRHibs
30-06-2019, 01:57 PM
You're right, I was a bit off. Like your analysis of Forster actually. :greengrin

Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors: Behind one door is Scott Allan; behind the others, Jordan Forster. You pick a door, say No. 1, and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door, say No. 3, which has a Jordan Forster. He then says to you, "Do you want to pick door No. 2?" Is it to your advantage to switch your choice?

MWHIBBIES
30-06-2019, 01:58 PM
Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors: Behind one door is Scott Allan; behind the others, Jordan Forster. You pick a door, say No. 1, and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door, say No. 3, which has a goat. He then says to you, "Do you want to pick door No. 2?" Is it to your advantage to switch your choice?

Yes, always switch if given the chance. Variable change.

BILLYHIBS
30-06-2019, 01:59 PM

That is why Hecky is in the dugout and you are sitting in the Stand

Thank god 😁

SRHibs
30-06-2019, 02:00 PM
Yes, always switch if given the chance. Variable change.

Wrong. The answer is no because Forster is pure class mate.

MWHIBBIES
30-06-2019, 02:03 PM
That is why Hecky is in the dugout and you are sitting in the Stand

Thank god 😁

I'm in the stand watching a good SPL side, something Hibs never were with yer pal Forster :wink:

BILLYHIBS
30-06-2019, 02:06 PM
I'm in the stand watching a good SPL side, something Hibs never were with yer pal Forster :wink:
You don’t know if you’ll be watching a good SPL side

Fingers crossed though

Brightside
30-06-2019, 02:18 PM

One of their best players

Iggy Pope
30-06-2019, 02:21 PM

Are we in for him?

The_Horde
30-06-2019, 02:26 PM

Too much like a football player for them.

Stuart93
30-06-2019, 02:29 PM

Was he? All the jambos on twitter seem pretty happy he’s leaving?

neil7908
30-06-2019, 02:50 PM

I'd definitely take him but would still want another option at defensive midfield given his age and injuries.

The 90+2
30-06-2019, 02:55 PM
Was he? All the jambos on twitter seem pretty happy he’s leaving?

Scores some goals, sets up some others means he doesn’t suit their kind of play.

Zazu62
30-06-2019, 03:14 PM

Would rather take Mulraney

Smartie
30-06-2019, 03:18 PM
I don't really know how you judge a player playing the "gets the ball hoofed over his heid for 90 minutes every week" role.

CRAZYHIBBY
30-06-2019, 03:19 PM

Would make an excellent back up .......for the cafeteria staff

supermcginn
30-06-2019, 03:42 PM

He's absolutely rotten

CapitalGreen
30-06-2019, 03:46 PM
He's absolutely rotten

They’ll struggle to replace his 6 goals and 12 assists from midfield regardless of his other contributions.

Wilson
30-06-2019, 03:47 PM
He's absolutely rotten

Aye, but still...

HibbyAndy
30-06-2019, 03:59 PM
He's absolutely rotten

:agree:

He's garbage , Scored a wonder goal at ER but no much else

They wouldn't be letting him go if he was even half decent

TelaStella
30-06-2019, 05:02 PM
He's absolutely rotten

Remember when they won the league in September their support actually believed him and pony tail were the best midfield combo to touch Scottish football. What was even more funny was they were absolutely convinced they were miles ahead of what we had previously in Mcginn and McGeouch you really, really have to laugh at times.

Here’s Lucy!
30-06-2019, 05:18 PM
Some of the yams want Gauld.

hfc rd
30-06-2019, 05:29 PM
Bit surprised if it is true that they are letting Lee leave.

They’ve got far worser players on their books than him.

Callum_62
30-06-2019, 05:34 PM

They’ve got far worser players on their books than him.Quotes from Levein so it's definitely the case

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

mayo hibee
30-06-2019, 05:56 PM
Would rather take Mulraney

Really? Alan O'Brien 2.0 for me. All speed and little end product, would take Boyle or Horgan over him any day.

madhatter
30-06-2019, 06:16 PM
Any new rumours? All went quite quiet apart from Maxwell...

Hoping this week sees us wrap up a defensive mid and then we can wait to see if there is maybe 1-2 more than could become available near the end of the window.

The 90+2
30-06-2019, 06:24 PM
Any new rumours? All went quite quiet apart from Maxwell...

Hoping this week sees us wrap up a defensive mid and then we can wait to see if there is maybe 1-2 more than could become available near the end of the window.

Moons on trial from tomorrow.

Brightside
30-06-2019, 06:31 PM

Moon has been here all week.

bingo70
30-06-2019, 06:32 PM

He was training last week when the press were there so presumably the trial started last week.

CapitalGreen
30-06-2019, 06:40 PM
He was training last week when the press were there so presumably the trial started last week.

Not sure how much ball work they have been doing so far, will have been mostly fitness work thus far.

The 90+2
30-06-2019, 06:42 PM

Ah okay I took it from here: https://www.nottheoldfirm.com/analysis/hibs-take-south-african-forward-ryan-moon-on-trial-but-who-is-he/

The 90+2
30-06-2019, 06:42 PM
Not sure how much ball work they have been doing so far, will have been mostly fitness work thus far.

Good point.

SMAXXA
30-06-2019, 06:44 PM
Lewis Allen to Raith

Greencore
30-06-2019, 06:50 PM
Lewis Allen to Raith

Good move for him.

Larry Burns
30-06-2019, 06:56 PM
McGeough signing for Aberdeen, apparently

S4uzee
30-06-2019, 07:00 PM

Surely we should’ve made a move

Callum_62
30-06-2019, 07:01 PM
McGeough signing for Aberdeen, apparentlyGood signing for them if true.

Since452
30-06-2019, 07:02 PM

They'll be very handy again next season.

Since452
30-06-2019, 07:03 PM

Hecky not interested

Michael

Maybe PH not interested? Not heard anyone linking him to us.

04Sauzee

Why? If Heckingbottom had a look and he thinks he can get better then I'm going to trust him

S4uzee
30-06-2019, 07:06 PM
Why? If Heckingbottom had a look and he thinks he can get better then I'm going to trust him

Can we really get better? Let’s be honest here if he’s not interested in Dylan then that’s worrying

Callum_62
30-06-2019, 07:08 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/funso-ojo-latest-s****horpe-swann-3035195.amp
Seems like they misunderstood the clause

Seems pretty naff that he had agreed to come to us by the date but couldn't officially be transferred until 11th June

hfc rd
30-06-2019, 07:09 PM

Loan or permanent?

Very good signing for them tbh if it is true. Would loved to have seen him back playing for us but if Heckinbottom doesn’t want him then he has my backing.

Ringothedog
30-06-2019, 07:10 PM
Can we really get better? Let’s be honest here if he’s not interested in Dylan then that’s worrying

Is it? Why is it worrying?

Ozyhibby
30-06-2019, 07:11 PM
All very well backing Heckingbottom’s judgement but I’d be surprised if he can get better than mcgeogh as a defensive mid.

Stuart93
30-06-2019, 07:12 PM

What’s worrying about it? A manager not fancying a player? Maybe doesn’t fit in to what he wants or who he wants to bring in

Ringothedog

I would hope not, we have a game on Wednesday.

Michael

That's probably true, but time will tell if it was a mistake. Hope the manager knows what he's doing.

MWHIBBIES
30-06-2019, 07:13 PM
All very well backing Heckingbottom’s judgement but I’d be surprised if he can get better than mcgeogh as a defensive mid.

He may want a more dynamic player, only thing I can think. A box to box player alongside Mallan and Allan. McGeouch certainly would improve us as things stand.

bingo70
30-06-2019, 07:16 PM
Maybe when he found out Aberdeen were interested he knew we couldn’t compete with their wages so didn’t want to waste time and the bad PR that would come with being kb’d.

CapitalGreen
I would hope not, we have a game on Wednesday.

It’s a pre-season friendly mate.

Billy Whizz
Lewis Allen to Raith

He’s been training with them, has it been confirmed?

Torto7
30-06-2019, 07:18 PM
I'm glad we aren't going for him. He's a good player but we need some athleticism something Milligan struggled with and Dylan wouldn't be a step up in. I wouldn't fancy Dylan/Mallan/Allan when a game gets dirty.

Ozyhibby
30-06-2019, 07:20 PM
He may want a more dynamic player, only thing I can think. A box to box player alongside Mallan and Allan. McGeouch certainly would improve us as things stand.

It’s possible that he has other ideas. I just think that when a player is available who knows the club and players in dressing room then in a summer of big change that it would help minimise the risks we are taking.

Torto7
30-06-2019, 07:20 PM
Maybe when he found out Aberdeen were interested he knew we couldn’t compete with their wages so didn’t want to waste time and the bad PR that would come with being kb’d.

We could pay more than them if we wanted to. He'd rather come to us as well. This is a PH decision not financial one imo.

Here’s Lucy!
30-06-2019, 07:22 PM
Is it? Why is it worrying?

I was about to ask the same.

Funny thing to get ‘worried’ about.

If the Heckster doesn’t feel he needs him, then no need to sweat over it.

S4uzee
30-06-2019, 07:22 PM
What’s worrying about it? A manager not fancying a player? Maybe doesn’t fit in to what he wants or who he wants to bring in

Worrying because he’s one of the best midfielders we’ve had in recent times and can really dictate a game, cup winner, knows the club??

JJP
30-06-2019, 07:23 PM
Will be gutting to see McGeough playing for that lot. Hope it doesn’t happen.

Ringothedog
30-06-2019, 07:27 PM
It’s a pre-season friendly mate.

We only have 3 pre season games prior to our first competitive game,I would hope we have done some ball work before the game on Wednesday. I would hate to do a 150 mile round trip for nothing

DetroitHibs
30-06-2019, 07:27 PM
Honestly, glad we aren’t in for Dylan. He’ll want a huge wage and I think he’ll struggle with injuries. All the bashing with players we signed in league 1, yet Dylan was unable to make any kind of mark down there. Maybe being in a midfield without SJM shows he’s not that great. Time will tell.

CockneyRebel
30-06-2019, 07:30 PM
We could pay more than them if we wanted to. He'd rather come to us as well. This is a PH decision not financial one imo.

You sure about that? He wasn't that keen on joining us from Celtic and he wasn't exactly greetin when he left.

MWHIBBIES
30-06-2019, 07:30 PM
It’s possible that he has other ideas. I just think that when a player is available who knows the club and players in dressing room then in a summer of big change that it would help minimise the risks we are taking.

Couldn't agree more

J-C
30-06-2019, 07:32 PM
I'm glad we aren't going for him. He's a good player but we need some athleticism something Milligan struggled with and Dylan wouldn't be a step up in. I wouldn't fancy Dylan/Mallan/Allan when a game gets dirty.

I agree, Dylan stood out when McGinn was doing the leg work which allowed him and Allan time on the ball, if Hecky wants athleticism in his midfield, then Dylan isn't it.

Ozyhibby
30-06-2019, 07:36 PM
Pressure is now on whoever we get in defensive mid now as well. If he’s not as good as McGeough fans won’t be happy.

J-C
30-06-2019, 07:36 PM
You sure about that? He wasn't that keen on joining us from Celtic and he wasn't exactly greetin when he left.

Had to really be convinced to join us and even after a seemingly superb offer chose Sunderland, I always got the feeling he didn't really care that much about us in the same way as Allan, McGinn, Boyle, Gray etc who all bought into what the club is all about.

BILLYHIBS
30-06-2019, 07:39 PM
Had to really be convinced to join us and even after a seemingly superb offer chose Sunderland, I always got the feeling he didn't really care that much about us in the same way as Allan, McGinn, Boyle, Gray etc who all bought into what the club is all about.

The Sheep dont like it up em!

The 90+2
30-06-2019, 07:41 PM
Pressure is now on whoever we get in defensive mid now as well. If he’s not as good as McGeough fans won’t be happy.

Dylan isn’t a defensive midfielder though.

04Sauzee
30-06-2019, 07:43 PM
Dylan isn’t a defensive midfielder though.

There does seem to be confusion about defensive midfielders and deep lying playmakers

CapitalGreen
30-06-2019, 07:43 PM
We only have 3 pre season games prior to our first competitive game,I would hope we have done some ball work before the game on Wednesday. I would hate to do a 150 mile round trip for nothing

We’ll do ball work Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday.

hibee-boys
30-06-2019, 07:45 PM
I agree, Dylan stood out when McGinn was doing the leg work which allowed him and Allan time on the ball, if Hecky wants athleticism in his midfield, then Dylan isn't it.

Yip, I agree. Always thought Dylan's game very was one dimensional, wasn't that bothered when he left. We need a more dynamic midfielder otherwise we wouldn't have let Milligan go, Mcgeouch just doesn't fit the bill.

CapitalGreen
30-06-2019, 07:45 PM
I see history is being re-written in regards to McGeouch now it looks like he may be joining Aberdeen.

Golden Bear
30-06-2019, 07:48 PM
He'll be a squad player at best with Aberdeen and I honestly think that suits him down to the ground.

Frazerbob
30-06-2019, 07:49 PM
I see history is being re-written in regards to McGeouch now it looks like he may be joining Aberdeen.

Exactly. Great player and very popular with the fans. The send off he received only happens with good players. I’ll be gutted to see him line up against us.

Heisenberg
30-06-2019, 07:50 PM
McGeouch is an utterly fantastic midfielder but is very injury prone, minus his last season. I’d definitely have him back but a midfield of him, Allan and Mallan would get pumped.

No surprise that Aberdeen are going for him again after they went so massive on trying to get him last summer. He’ll be one of, if not their highest paid player. Bryson, Ferguson and McGeouch is a very good midfield at this level.

Iggy Pope
He'll be a squad player at best with Aberdeen and I honestly think that suits him down to the ground.

He will be the best footballer in their entire squad of utter brutalists. Don’t kid yourself.

04Sauzee

Don't think that's the case. One of my favourite players. There is an obvious way that Heckingbottom wants to play and if McGeouch doesn't fit into that system then I'm going to trust him.
I'm happy we are signing players to fit a system rather than signing good players and shoehorning them into a team

Stuart93
30-06-2019, 07:51 PM
Worrying because he’s one of the best midfielders we’ve had in recent times and can really dictate a game, cup winner, knows the club??

Could he dictate the game? I’m not sure that’s true.

He didn’t really give a monkeys arse about the club when we offered him a great deal to stay and he chose Sunderland, wasted a year of his career in the process

It actually bodes well that our manager might be looking for better

bingo70
30-06-2019, 07:53 PM

He’s good enough to be a regular at Aberdeen but not sure he’s got that nasty/cynical side that Mcinnes seems to want from his midfielders.

They love turning games scrappy, in an open football match they’re nothing special, in a scrap they’re better than most in our league. Shinnie, Ball and Ferguson have been good at that recently and I personally think Mcgeouch is the opposite of that kind of player so be interesting to see how he would fit in, my guess is that he probably won’t.

Since452
30-06-2019, 07:54 PM
Don't think that's the case. One of my favourite players. There is an obvious way that Heckingbottom wants to play and if McGeouch doesn't fit into that system then I'm going to trust him.
I'm happy we are signing players to fit a system rather than signing good players and shoehorning them into a team

100% agree. We've been down that road numerous times and it hasn't worked.

Speedway
30-06-2019, 07:56 PM
If you sign Dylan you have to sign someone else to job share with him.

Don’t forget Lennon was for punting him before his final season or half season of performances.

We remember a great player and Scottish cup winner, which he was.

We should also remember him as an oft injured player who is not at all arsed about coming to or staying at or coming back to, Hibs.

Torto7
30-06-2019, 07:57 PM

Feelers were put out in May from his agent-PH actually said we were considering him but decided against it.

The funny thing is he actually was greeting when he left us.

The 90+2
30-06-2019, 07:57 PM
There does seem to be confusion about defensive midfielders and deep lying playmakers

Definitely.

CapitalGreen
30-06-2019, 08:01 PM
If McGeouch was to rejoin he would be one of the top 2/3 players at the club.

Stuart93
30-06-2019, 08:01 PM

Unsure how you can say that without seeing the new guys play?

The 90+2
30-06-2019, 08:03 PM
Unsure how you can say that without seeing the new guys play?

Surely that could be an argument used against Messi also?

Torto7
30-06-2019, 08:03 PM
Definitely.

Absolutely. Mallan is seen as our playmaker now. McGeouch but further forward. PH changed Mallans role into more of a number 8 when he came in. What we need is the attributes SJM brought albeit unlikely to be at the level he reached. I'm a bit gutted about Ojo tbh. I've seen him play for S****horpe before and he'd be ideal.

GreenCastle
30-06-2019, 08:07 PM
Will be crap if he goes to Aberdeen.

Rubbish if he goes to any other Scottish team - let alone one we are competing against.

Dylan would have been a good addition - he's only been away 1 year.

Add in the fact he knows the club and what's expected.

He was never box to box as such but he can control a game and would still add something as starter or coming on as a sub.

I agree we need energy in the middle and someone like SJM who can win tackles and turn the ball over for Allan and Mallan but we also need depth.

The 90+2
30-06-2019, 08:07 PM
Absolutely. Mallan is seen as our playmaker now. McGeouch but further forward. PH changed Mallans role into more of a number 8 when he came in. What we need is the attributes SJM brought albeit unlikely to be at the level he reached. I'm a bit gutted about Ojo tbh. I've seen him play for S****horpe before and he'd be ideal.

Yeah I’m with you mate.

Hermit Crab
30-06-2019, 08:15 PM
Will be gutting to see McGeough playing for that lot. Hope it doesn’t happen.

I wouldn't worry about, he'll be injured all the time.

Greenworld
30-06-2019, 08:16 PM
Surely that could be an argument used against Messi also?Baffling comment that can you expand on what you mean?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

CapitalGreen
30-06-2019, 08:18 PM
Baffling comment that can you expand on what you mean?

Maybe re-read the thread, it’s a fairly straightforward point he’s made.

Robbo6-2
30-06-2019, 08:24 PM
Mcgeough was an another one who thot the grass was greener.

A regular in front of 18k fans, Scottish Internationalist, decent wages and a team competing at the top end of league. What more did he actually want.

Can add Fyvie and Cummings to that list.

Greenworld
30-06-2019, 08:25 PM
Maybe re-read the thread, it’s a fairly straightforward point he’s made.I'm not as clever as you but cheers for your input ...

Stuart93
30-06-2019, 08:25 PM
Maybe re-read the thread, it’s a fairly straightforward point he’s made.

It’s not really though it’s common sense that messi is a lot better than our new players however it’s not as unrealistic to think that our new players could potentially be better than mcgeouch

BILLYHIBS
30-06-2019, 08:28 PM

I would see Scott Allan as being more a playmaker

It will be interesting to see how Stevie Mallan fits into the overall scheme of things under Hecky

I do not think Hecky is done in the transfer market

I agree that we need a DM and a SJM type box to box water carrier

The 90+2
30-06-2019, 08:30 PM
Baffling comment that can you expand on what you mean?

My post was on reply to “how do you know McGeough is better, have you seen the new players play”? Or similar. That’s why I mentioned Messi.

bingo70
30-06-2019, 08:30 PM

A regular in front of 18k fans, Scottish Internationalist, decent wages and a team competing at the top end of league. What more did he actually want.

Mcgeouch achieved all he was ever going to at Hibs, I don’t blame him for looking for a new challenge.

Won a league
Qualified for Europe
Played in Europe
Won a cup
Earned a Scotland call up

IMO taking off the Hibs specs it was the right time for him to look for a new challenge, it’s a shame for him it’s not worked out though.

The 90+2
30-06-2019, 08:31 PM

It will be interesting to see how Stevie Mallan fits into the overall scheme of things under Hecky

Allan is better with the ball at his feet running at opposition or creating chances for the forwards for me. He would be spoiled as playmaker until his legs have gone.

J-C
30-06-2019, 08:32 PM

It will be Allan, Mallan and AN Other, Allan behind the striker/strikers, Mallan sitting a wee bit deeper and another mid to do the graft a McGinn type if possible.

J-C
30-06-2019, 08:33 PM
Mcgeouch achieved all he was ever going to at Hibs, I don’t blame him for looking for a new challenge.

Won a league
Qualified for Europe
Played in Europe
Won a cup
Earned a Scotland call up

IMO taking off the Hibs specs it was the right time for him to look for a new challenge, it’s a shame for him it’s not worked out though.

That bit in bold dried up fairly quickly though.

bingo70
30-06-2019, 08:36 PM
That bit in bold dried up fairly quickly though.

He didn’t know that was going to happen though.

He obviously wanted to push himself and backed himself to succeed, don’t think you can criticise a player for that.

flash
30-06-2019, 08:37 PM

Doubtful.

Robbo6-2
30-06-2019, 08:38 PM
Mcgeouch achieved all he was ever going to at Hibs,

Dont agree with that tbh, we should looking at winning more and more trophies, better progress in europe.

Hes now gonna end up with a sore neck watching Mckenna punt the ball up to Cosgrove and Main.

Least his bank balance is decent tho

Torto7
30-06-2019, 08:39 PM

They both are tbf although Allan will be further forward which you can have in a middle three if you have the guy that can do the dirty work and take the ball under pressure.

This is a key season for Mallan imo. Does he become a potential international or will his lack of athleticism mean he's merely SPL average level?

Last season there was flashes of both I thought. He strikes the ball as cleanly as I've seen, Lennon was spot on with the Moravcic comparison. Can his legs carry him though? At times he really struggled against the Aberdeen/Huns in particular. Hopefully he has a good preseason and the S&C staff can work some magic.

FilipinoHibs
30-06-2019, 08:42 PM

He obviously wanted to push himself and backed himself to succeed, don’t think you can criticise a player for that.

Third tier of English football? Think it was more. A money thing and not getting on with Lennon.

CapitalGreen
30-06-2019, 08:43 PM
It’s not really though it’s common sense that messi is a lot better than our new players however it’s not as unrealistic to think that our new players could potentially be better than mcgeouch

I said it was a straightforward point, I didn’t say it was a good a point.

BILLYHIBS
30-06-2019, 08:44 PM
Maybe getting myself confused with playmaker and DM

I see SA pulling the strings from the No 10 role as he did before with killer passes and chipping in with goals from a further forward role

Stevie Mallan was outstanding versus Celtic 2-0 in the playmaker role but not sure if Hecky sees him in that position

I think Hecky has still to pull a couple of rabbits out of the hat with a DM and an energetic midfielder and then we will be in a position to see how he wants us to play system personnel and tactics

He will also want cover for every position that he seems to be doing very well at so far

J-C
30-06-2019, 08:44 PM

I disagree, playing for Hibs and being successful gave him his cap, moving to Div 1 in England was a big error in my opinion.

jeffers
30-06-2019, 08:45 PM
While undoubtedly talented I always felt McGeouch's actual contribution to the team was vastly exaggerated, so if he does sign for Aberdeen I'll be interested to see how he does. I'm surprised to have seen him described as a defensive midfielder on here because IMO that is not what he is and never was. We actually need a genuine defensive midfielder so I can see why Hecky isn't interested in signing him.

bingo70
30-06-2019, 08:47 PM
Third tier of English football? Think it was more. A money thing and not getting on with Lennon.

Sunderland are a massive club and he probably fancied them to win the league, playing in an attacking winning team would be a better option than a team in the league above in a relegation battle for his type of player.

In hindsight it’s clearly not worked out for him but i get his logic as to why he moved.

He’s also a Scottish Cup Winning hero so I don’t have any bitterness towards him at all, he earned the right to make a move to whoever he wanted in my book, good luck to him, I hope he goes on to have a great career wherever that may be, although obviously if it is with Aberdeen I hope he gets sick of looking up the table at Hibs.

J-C
30-06-2019, 08:47 PM
They both are tbf although Allan will be further forward which you can have in a middle three if you have the guy that can do the dirty work and take the ball under pressure.

This is a key season for Mallan imo. Does he become a potential international or will his lack of athleticism mean he's merely SPL average level?

Last season there was flashes of both I thought. He strikes the ball as cleanly as I've seen, Lennon was spot on with the Moravcic comparison. Can his legs carry him though? At times he really struggled against the Aberdeen/Huns in particular. Hopefully he has a good preseason and the S&C staff can work some magic.

I thought Mallan looked a lot fitted and more athletic after Hecky came in, he has a decent range of passing and is good under pressure.

The 90+2
30-06-2019, 08:48 PM

Or the challenge of getting a massive club like Sunderland back to top place in English football?

Torto7
30-06-2019, 08:53 PM
I thought Mallan looked a lot fitted and more athletic after Hecky came in, he has a decent range of passing and is good under pressure.

Yeah you're right. I think we'll be a very fit side this season. Hecky doesn't seem the type to suffer any slacking.

brog
30-06-2019, 08:54 PM
I like Dylan but I never really got the adulation he received from so many on here. As others have said he's certainly not a defensive midfield player. I still remember his error in the cup semi versus Falkirk. He's also definitely not an attacking midfielder. His record of 2 open play goals in well over 100 games is very poor. The frustration is he has the talent to play a much more creative & attacking role, his goal versus Sheep in cup was superb & may be why McInnes is a fan. He was great at retaining possession & making space for others & while I would have welcomed him back I have faith that PH has a structure & plan in place. We move on.

BILLYHIBS
30-06-2019, 08:55 PM

What worries me about Stevie Mallan in that role is he was outstanding versus Celtic but other teams the Huns especially were wise to him in fact the Huns did to us what we did to Celtic they closed us down from the kick off
Hecky has been at the club six months he has had time to evaluate his squad he knows how he wants to set up and play.He had Stevie Mallan at Barnsley and did not play him
I am with you Stevie Mallan is a talent he is still young and can be moulded into a top player and I am convinced Hecky is the right man to do it
We will soon find out

The Modfather
30-06-2019, 08:56 PM
While undoubtedly talented I always felt McGeouch's actual contribution to the team was vastly exaggerated, so if he does sign for Aberdeen I'll be interested to see how he does. I'm surprised to have seen him described as a defensive midfielder on here because IMO that is not what he is and never was. We actually need a genuine defensive midfielder so I can see why Hecky isn't interested in signing him.

McGeough was excellent for us and would love to have him back. However I do think you make a good point. McGeough thrived with McGinn beside him as McGinn was always an out ball no matter if he had two players around him or not.

JimboHibs
30-06-2019, 09:00 PM

Sunderland are big club and unfortunately for him it hasnt worked out .... do you think he left thinking great i hope this move doesnt work out for me , been many players sign for us with high hopes and it hasnt worked out for them , works both ways !!

we are hibs
30-06-2019, 09:13 PM
People rewriting history with mcgeouch. Laughable how some can change opinion at the drop of a hat when a player makes a decision they don't like. Mcgeouch was a fantastic player for us. A very intelligent player and we were a far better side with him in it. If he goes to Aberdeen and produces a season like his final one at hibs then the same people will be up in arms about us not going for him.

Hecky might have his own ideas and players in mind. And he's got to he trusted to do so but I get where some people are coming from cause we've no idea whether heckingbottom is recruiting players that will be a success here as he has no track record of signings at hibs yet whereas we know mcgeouch was a success here.

blackpoolhibs
30-06-2019, 09:15 PM
Sunderland are big club and unfortunately for him it hasnt worked out .... do you think he left thinking great i hope this move doesnt work out for me , been many players sign for us with high hopes and it hasnt worked out for them , works both ways !!

I'd swap Dylan for Mallan every day of the week if they were to play the position Mallan did after PH came in.

Onceinawhile
30-06-2019, 09:18 PM
I like Dylan but I never really got the adulation he received from so many on here. As others have said he's certainly not a defensive midfield player. I still remember his error in the cup semi versus Falkirk. He's also definitely not an attacking midfielder. His record of 2 open play goals in well over 100 games is very poor. The frustration is he has the talent to play a much more creative & attacking role, his goal versus Sheep in cup was superb & may be why McInnes is a fan. He was great at retaining possession & making space for others & while I would have welcomed him back I have faith that PH has a structure & plan in place. We move on.

What error did he make in the semi v Falkirk?

I loved Dylan as a player, always in space, always willing to take the ball and rarely lost the ball.

His scoring record is absolutely woeful, but still better than (for example) Marvin Bartley.

Callum_62
30-06-2019, 09:29 PM
Dylan unveiled at East Mains tomorrow..... [emoji848][emoji23]

Peevemor
30-06-2019, 09:32 PM
The first thing PH did when he came in was to get the players wearing the tracking system stuff again. He says he wants to play a high pressing game, something we rarely managed with last season's squad. He's already said that the players are going to be fitter than they've ever been.

At the latest press conference when asked about Scott Allan, he answered that we won't build a team around any player. It's the players that are required to fit into the system we'll play.

For me it's no great surprise that he's not interested in Dylan. Yes he's a great player, but maybe not the correct piece for Hecky's jigsaw.

BILLYHIBS
30-06-2019, 09:32 PM
Dylan unveiled at East Mains tomorrow..... [emoji848][emoji23]

The Boy Band is back!

truehibernian
30-06-2019, 09:38 PM

I loved Dylan as a player, always in space, always willing to take the ball and rarely lost the ball.

His scoring record is absolutely woeful, but still better than (for example) Marvin Bartley.

And there lies the rub for me. Dylan was and is a lovely footballer but his scoring record is terrible, as is his injury record (which I feel has always been psychosomatic - as did Lennon). He also played very 'safe' football. Marvin was good for the Championship but found out completely in the top league and especially last season when he was woeful.

The next signing in midfield has to be tenacious and combative but with a physical edge to his game - to allow the likes of Allan, Mallan, Newell and Horgan to flourish. Dylan isn't that player. We also need that player to chip in with a goal or two. Often I saw DM have opportunities to shoot but he chose to pass and pass the responsibility to someone else. Strange because with confidence he has that in his locker.

Mulumbu being released is interesting - he'd be ideal in that role for me.

Frazerbob
30-06-2019, 09:44 PM
And there lies the rub for me. Dylan was and is a lovely footballer but his scoring record is terrible, as is his injury record (which I feel has always been psychosomatic - as did Lennon). He also played very 'safe' football. Marvin was good for the Championship but found out completely in the top league and especially last season when he was woeful.

The next signing in midfield has to be tenacious and combative but with a physical edge to his game - to allow the likes of Allan, Mallan, Newell and Horgan to flourish. Dylan isn't that player. We also need that player to chip in with a goal or two. Often I saw DM have opportunities to shoot but he chose to pass and pass the responsibility to someone else. Strange because with confidence he has that in his locker.

Why do believe his injury issues have ‘always been psychosomatic’?

crash
30-06-2019, 09:49 PM
People rewriting history with mcgeouch. Laughable how some can change opinion at the drop of a hat when a player makes a decision they don't like. Mcgeouch was a fantastic player for us. A very intelligent player and we were a far better side with him in it. If he goes to Aberdeen and produces a season like his final one at hibs then the same people will be up in arms about us not going for him.

Hecky might have his own ideas and players in mind. And he's got to he trusted to do so but I get where some people are coming from cause we've no idea whether heckingbottom is recruiting players that will be a success here as he has no track record of signings at hibs yet whereas we know mcgeouch was a success here.

100% this, McGeoch is a legend at ER, an international class midfielder, a great football player who played in arguably the best midfield trio seen here in the last forty years. This will put pressure on the new signings and the manager, and could come back to haunt him.

truehibernian
30-06-2019, 09:50 PM
Why do believe his injury issues have ‘always been psychosomatic’?

Because I think they were in his head a lot of the time.

Brightside
30-06-2019, 09:50 PM
Because I think they were in his head a lot of the time.

They weren't.

The_Horde
30-06-2019, 09:52 PM
100% this, McGeoch is a legend at ER, an international class midfielder, a great football player who played in arguably the best midfield trio seen here in the last forty years. This will put pressure on the new signings and the manager, and could come back to haunt him.

Hecky won't sign Mcgeouch but wants to play Whittaker.

truehibernian
30-06-2019, 09:54 PM
They weren't.

And that's fair doos underscore, I think a lot of the time they were - he's a lovely footballer, very tidy on the ball. But Lennon and a couple of other of backroom staff thought so. Lennon went on record saying so before his final season with us.

J-C
30-06-2019, 09:55 PM
And that's fair doos underscore, I think a lot of the time they were - he's a lovely footballer, very tidy on the ball. But Lennon and a couple of other of backroom staff thought so. Lennon went on record saying so before his final season with us.

Better get the specialist in London to give him his money back then.

Michael
30-06-2019, 09:56 PM

He just signed a new right back...

J-C
30-06-2019, 09:57 PM

Where is he quoted saying this, the new RB won't be impressed.

truehibernian
30-06-2019, 10:02 PM
Better get the specialist in London to give him his money back then.

The injuries were there, it was his 'robustness' and time taken to get over them that perhaps were not. Not going to debate it further - management at the club thought the same and went on record and spoke to the player about it. His form and in particular his game time improved thereafter. Of course you could argue that seeing the specialist worked wonders........I think after his serious injury pre-season at Celtic it's always been at the back of his mind.

I rate DM a lot as a footballer as I said. Your opinion and mine will be at odds re. the injury stuff. And that's fine.

04Sauzee
30-06-2019, 10:03 PM

Didn't know that when did he say that?

Ringothedog
30-06-2019, 10:07 PM

It’s just made up nonsense

Heisenberg
30-06-2019, 10:11 PM
Didn't know that when did he say that?

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2019/06/30/steven-whittaker-is-in-the-best-shape-of-his-life-still-has-a-hibs-future-insists-paul-heckingbottom-norwich-rangers/

He just says he’s hoping to get him in the side and there’s a place in the team for him if he can perform to a high standard. There is absolutely no chance Whittaker will be a regular for us next season.

The 90+2
30-06-2019, 10:12 PM
It’s just made up nonsense

It’s not actually. PH is quoted saying there’s a place in the team for SW.

CapitalGreen
30-06-2019, 10:14 PM
http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2019/06/30/steven-whittaker-is-in-the-best-shape-of-his-life-still-has-a-hibs-future-insists-paul-heckingbottom-norwich-rangers/

He just says he’s hoping to get him in the side and there’s a place in the team for him if he can perform to a high standard. There is absolutely no chance Whittaker will be a regular for us next season.

He’s been unable to show that for nearly 2 years so unlikely he’ll feature much this season.

Iain G
30-06-2019, 10:17 PM

Did I not read that the manager has said he wants someone who sits deep, takes the ball in from the defence and starts things moving. If that isn't a McGeough role am not sure what is? He was like Boozy that he could take a pass in tight space and keep it and move it, not many of them around.

truehibernian
30-06-2019, 10:23 PM
Did I not read that the manager has said he wants someone who sits deep, takes the ball in from the defence and starts things moving. If that isn't a McGeough role am not sure what is? He was like Boozy that he could take a pass in tight space and keep it and move it, not many of them around.

I agree DM was good at that, but PH has also said this week that he expects the likes of Allan to do that role too at times (the Dylan type role). I do think the current midfield needs some real combativeness however. And the likes of Boozy are a rarity in our league (I agree).........he was one of the best footballers I've seen at Hibs :aok:

Nicho87
30-06-2019, 10:25 PM
Beuzelin was in a different league. Always remember was at the Kilmarnock away game at new year when he suffered the bad injury. Wasn’t the same player coming back imo.

weecounty hibby
30-06-2019, 10:30 PM

Sunderland seemed to have no problem in getting better in their opinion. Dylan was good for is and I rate him but seriously, can't get better??

Unseen work
30-06-2019, 10:49 PM
McGeouch is a very good player but did we miss him last season or would he have made a big difference? I’m not convinced.

Mallan can do what he does and has a better range of passing making our turn over in play a lot faster and create more 1 vs 1s, he also got more goals and assists this season that McGeouch did in his 3 years here.

What we need is energy, legs and a physical presence in the middle of the park.

This season imo we lacked creativity going forward - We’ve signed Allan, Newell and Doidge

Milligan and Mallan between them down The McGeouch role, I think what Heck is looking for is a more balanced squad with players that can do various roles, not just one player to tackle, one to pass, one to create etc etc.

However would I take him back? Absolutely. However Heckingbottom doesn’t have a limitless amount of money to spend so will have to use it wisely and prioritise the type of player and position he needs - which is what he seems to be doing.

Also can’t believe how underrated Mallan is, he came on leaps and bounds under Heckingbottom and was starting to look good defensively.

matty_f
30-06-2019, 11:00 PM
Dylan is a cracking player, one of the best I've seen at knowing how to dictate the pace of a game. There were moments in matches where he made the difficult look effortless. I'd be amazed if there wasn't space for him in our midfield, no matter how we line up.

I really don't want to see him sign for Aberdeen, if he was coming back to Scotland and we weren't in for him, I'd be disappointed.

HibeeJude
30-06-2019, 11:32 PM
Before Dylan left there were many on here claiming he was a better player than SJM, now he’s away folk are pretending they don’t want him back. Madness

Zazu62
30-06-2019, 11:32 PM
Aberdeen would be strong with Bryson and Mcgeouch in midfield

The 90+2
30-06-2019, 11:34 PM

If kept fit. Yes.

Unseen work
01-07-2019, 01:32 AM

Agreed, McGeouch, Bryson and Ferguson is a very strong midfield, got a bit of everything in there too.

Dr_Regal
01-07-2019, 02:07 AM
Agreed, McGeouch, Bryson and Ferguson is a very strong midfield, got a bit of everything in there too.

Vs

——-——Ojo————
Omeonga—Alan——-

Callum_62
01-07-2019, 04:17 AM
Vs

——-——Ojo————
Omeonga—Alan——-

Very doubtful on 2 of they 3

flash
01-07-2019, 05:55 AM
Before Dylan left there were many on here claiming he was a better player than SJM, now he’s away folk are pretending they don’t want him back. Madness

All that proves is that a large percentage of fitba fans don't understand what they are watching.

Borderhibbie76
01-07-2019, 06:02 AM
Maybe PH not interested? Not heard anyone linking him to us.He said so himself in his presser last week...we looked at him but not interested

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
01-07-2019, 06:03 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMaybe its Dylans injury record that is putting Hecky off...love Dylan but his fitness record is poor to say the least

Borderhibbie76
01-07-2019, 06:09 AM
Could he dictate the game? I’m not sure that’s true.

He didn’t really give a monkeys arse about the club when we offered him a great deal to stay and he chose Sunderland, wasted a year of his career in the process

It actually bodes well that our manager might be looking for betterCouldn't agree more mate...loved Dylan when he was here but he didn't give a monkeys backside about us last summer when Sunderland came calling flashing the cash...cost him a season of football and his Scotland squad place. His injury and fitness worries also concern me as other than his last season with us his fitness issues were awful. Hecky clearly doesnt think he fits our system so let's trust the manager and see who else he brings in. It doesnt always work out well bringing former favourites back as weve seen before with Stokes, Sproule etc 2nd/3rd time around. Happy to trust Heckys judgement on this one...

we are hibs
01-07-2019, 06:23 AM
People are aware just because you don't play in defence you don't have to contribute with 10 goals a season? Allan doesn't score many goals. Mcgeouch didn't. Mcginn didnt. Yet they combined to make an excellent 3 in midfield.

Its also utter garbage when people say he didn't care about hibs when Sunderland came calling. suppose they were fake tears at the end of the 5-5 game when he left the park aye?

jacomo
01-07-2019, 06:25 AM
Couldn't agree more mate...loved Dylan when he was here but he didn't give a monkeys backside about us last summer when Sunderland came calling flashing the cash...cost him a season of football and his Scotland squad place. His injury and fitness worries also concern me as other than his last season with us his fitness issues were awful. Hecky clearly doesnt think he fits our system so let's trust the manager and see who else he brings in. It doesnt always work out well bringing former favourites back as weve seen before with Stokes, Sproule etc 2nd/3rd time around. Happy to trust Heckys judgement on this one...

That’s not true though, is it?

It was disappointing Dylan left but - as Lenny said at the time - it was an agonising decision for him.

I’ll be annoyed if he signs for Aberdeen. He should be coming back to us.

Hibeesmad
01-07-2019, 06:32 AM
That’s not true though, is it?

It was disappointing Dylan left but - as Lenny said at the time - it was an agonising decision for him.

I’ll be annoyed if he signs for Aberdeen. He should be coming back to us.

With Aberdeen losing some key players and having a higher budget than us they would probably be able to offer a more luxurious deal.

LeithMike
01-07-2019, 06:43 AM
Hard to see us getting a better holding midfielder with better playmaking ability than Dylan. Maybe PH wants someone with more physical attributes for the defensive side though (maybe where Ojo fits in).

Dylan would certainly walk into the current team and I'd love him back. I dont think Mallan can hold a torch to Dylan when it comes to running a midfield.

He'd certainly make Aberdeen a significantly different and likely better team. They've never been good in possession but Dylan would change that. Maybe easier to score against though.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

MacGruber
01-07-2019, 06:45 AM
If Dylan is available we should be doing our best to get it done. We are after a link player and Dylan is probably the best we have had there in the last 20 years. 26 year old Scotland cap that is a Hibs legend. No brainer.

If a decision is being made on fitness, that PH believes he can get better or he wants to play a cometely different style then fair enough.

greenpaper55
01-07-2019, 06:50 AM
If Dylan is available we should be doing our best to get it done. We are after a link player and Dylan is probably the best we have had there in the last 20 years. 26 year old Scotland cap that is a Hibs legend. No brainer.

If a decision is being made on fitness, that PH believes he can get better or he wants to play a cometely different style then fair enough.

A legend !

AlbertK86
01-07-2019, 06:53 AM

Looks like he’s considering him at left back as Lewis is injured

https://twitter.com/newsonscotland/status/1145480926622826496?s=21

Brightside
01-07-2019, 07:00 AM
Couldn't agree more mate...loved Dylan when he was here but he didn't give a monkeys backside about us last summer when Sunderland came calling flashing the cash...cost him a season of football and his Scotland squad place. His injury and fitness worries also concern me as other than his last season with us his fitness issues were awful. Hecky clearly doesnt think he fits our system so let's trust the manager and see who else he brings in. It doesnt always work out well bringing former favourites back as weve seen before with Stokes, Sproule etc 2nd/3rd time around. Happy to trust Heckys judgement on this one...

He left coz he couldn’t stand Lennon.

Greencore
01-07-2019, 07:00 AM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk😶

Stuart93
01-07-2019, 07:10 AM

Hopefully ****ing not

MacGruber
01-07-2019, 07:12 AM
A legend !

Hibernian Scottish Cup winner = legend.

11 starters, used subs, unused subs, Stubbs, Doolan, Taff, Kitty the physio - 21.05.2016 .. legends

neil7908
01-07-2019, 07:17 AM
I like the idea of Dylan coming back but I can understand the logic of him not fitting in a Heck team if he wants to play a pressing game and is looking for a defensive minded midfielder.

There can be no doubt about his quality but the main question is fitness (and linked to that, salary). If we were picking him up on the cheap it would be a no brainer, even if he's not Heck player. But given he's likely to be one of the highest paid players in the team I understand us leaving this one alone.

Still have a bad feeling this one will come back to haunt us.

oneone73
01-07-2019, 07:17 AM
Hibernian Scottish Cup winner = legend.

11 starters, used subs, unused subs, Stubbs, Doolan, Taff, Kitty the physio - 21.05.2016 .. legends

Agree

Mikey
01-07-2019, 07:24 AM
Has Dylan actually signed for Aberdeen?

Callum_62
01-07-2019, 07:25 AM
Has Dylan actually signed for Aberdeen?Not that I've seen, no

Would be quite funny to see the back tracking if we ended up signing him[emoji23]

brog
01-07-2019, 07:28 AM
A legend !

In semi he was caught ball watching & allowed Arfield (IIRC) to score with a free header at back post. I suspect if it had been Paul Hanlon everyone would have remembered it.

04Sauzee
01-07-2019, 07:29 AM
Not that I've seen, no

Would be quite funny to see the back tracking if we ended up signing him[emoji23]

Think most people. Including myself are saying he was fantastic at Hibs as I said earlier on here he was one of my favourite players. I'm saying if Heckingbottom doesn't want him at Easter Road it's because he won't fit into his style of play or he thinks he can do better. I'm trusting the manager on this one

Gaffer1875
01-07-2019, 07:32 AM
Ex Hibee Richie Towell has signed for Salford

oneone73
01-07-2019, 07:34 AM
In semi he was caught ball watching & allowed Arfield (IIRC) to score with a free header at back post. I suspect if it had been Paul Hanlon everyone would have remembered it.

Also sleeping when Hertz scored the late winner at the PBS in the Cup.

we are hibs
01-07-2019, 07:38 AM

Pretty sure arfield hadn't been playing for falkirk for about 5 years when they scored that goal :wink: blair Alston or sibbald it was who scored

Barman Stanton
01-07-2019, 07:39 AM
One of the bad things about Dylan signing for Aberdeen would be the fact many of our support would turn against him like they have with others of our Cup Winning team.

500miles
01-07-2019, 07:40 AM

I think that it probably comes down to the fact we have Allan and Mallan already,with the both of them potential matchwinners in a way Dylan isn't. And frankly, we got punished for not being athletic enough in every one of the last 5 games.

Mcgeouch will want to be first name on the team sheet, and we have 2 players in his position that already want that.

we are hibs
01-07-2019, 07:42 AM
If it came down to it mcgeouch would be in my team 10 times out of 10 over Mallan. He's a better footballer.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-07-2019, 07:46 AM

Probably the folk that didn't claim that are the ones who aren't fussed about him coming back, it's how these sites work.

04Sauzee
01-07-2019, 07:46 AM
If it came down to it mcgeouch would be in my team 10 times out of 10 over Mallan. He's a better footballer.

Probably the reason some fans didn't take to Mallan last season as they expected Mallan to be a McGeouch or a Mcginn and he's neither he's just a very good Mallan

flash
01-07-2019, 07:47 AM

Not for me. Mallan is improving all the time.

brog
01-07-2019, 07:54 AM
Pretty sure arfield hadn't been playing for falkirk for about 5 years when they scored that goal :wink: blair Alston or sibbald it was who scored

Sibbald I think, I always got those 2 mixed up!

Billy Whizz
01-07-2019, 08:03 AM

The game at St mirren park in January, when Eddie May was in charge, Whittaker was fantastic at left back. Picked up his injury in the last minute

we are hibs
01-07-2019, 08:16 AM
Maxwell close to being announced on loan according to sky

Ozyhibby
01-07-2019, 08:17 AM

He wasn’t even close to being as good as McGinn but I do want him back.

hfc rd
01-07-2019, 08:18 AM
Maxwell close to being announced on loan according to sky

Another player that I have never seen play before but just like the other signings, really looking forward to seeing him play.

Callum_62
01-07-2019, 08:19 AM
Another player that I have never seen play before but just like the other signings, really looking forward to seeing him play.To be fair I wouldn't mind if I never see him play, purely because it means Rocky has stayed

Since452
01-07-2019, 08:20 AM

Mallan got our players and fans poty in his first season in a midfield that had just lost it's two best players. He's still improving and if he kicks on from last season we'll struggle to keep hold of him.

hfc rd
01-07-2019, 08:28 AM
To be fair I wouldn't mind if I never see him play, purely because it means Rocky has stayed

But then what happens if he is better than Rocky though? 😉

Ozyhibby
01-07-2019, 08:32 AM
https://twitter.com/hibsboy69/status/1145456545976725505?s=21

From that I’d say McGeogh is not coming back.

Captain Trips
The reality is PH decides who is required and waying up wages or even style of play he may just simply not feel we need him or want him. What's annoying is if he goes to Aberdeen as we have seen before on here people moan at the club regardless if we even made a bid for him or not.

I am sure there are 100s of good players we can afford but do not buy as they may not fit in. Dylan IMO is a brilliant player and I would be delighted if PH thinks worth it abs fits in but if he doesn't thats fine.

mjhibby
With Aberdeen losing some key players and having a higher budget than us they would probably be able to offer a more luxurious deal.

I'm not sure why we think the dons are now likely to offer more wages for a given player. There was over 3000 of a difference in average attendance last season plus the money we got from villa being promoted. It depends on how much each club wants the player but I would think it more likely it would be down to the manager to persuade the player. Too many people get hung up on wages a player gets.

bigwheel
01-07-2019, 08:34 AM
I'm not sure why we think the dons are now likely to offer more wages for a given player. There was over 3000 of a difference in average attendance last season plus the money we got from villa being promoted. It depends on how much each club wants the player but I would think it more likely it would be down to the manager to persuade the player. Too many people get hung up on wages a player gets.

They have more revenue and also have a bigger wage budget.. not quite sure how but it is noticeable difference

Brightside
01-07-2019, 08:39 AM

Aberdeen pay more than us. It’s just a fact.

Ozyhibby
01-07-2019, 08:40 AM

They have a turnover 50% higher than ours due to higher commercial income. It’s still a mystery to me how that is achieved but it translates into better players on the pitch.

Wilson
01-07-2019, 08:44 AM

You've more chance of getting 10 games in a row out of Mallan.

CapitalGreen
01-07-2019, 08:45 AM

Whether or not those 10 games are consistently good is another thing.

Smartie
01-07-2019, 08:48 AM

5 of them will be pish though.

Dylan's five games will be good, and you have a chance of getting a good game out of his replacement.

With Mallan you seem to have to accept whichever Mallan turns up, and the teams we need to do better against in order to rise up the league have worked out how to overrun him.

scoopyboy
01-07-2019, 08:48 AM

Lots of thing constitute the make up of a footballer.

If we're comparing McGeouch v Mallan then Mallon has him beat all ends up on assists and goals scored. There are other aspects that Dylan will be better at but the two I have highlighted are very important IMHO.

eastcoasthibby
01-07-2019, 08:49 AM

They’ve got far worser players on their books than him.

Maybe has told Levein he hasn't a clue about how to manage a team to play football, so binned for not buying into Leveins football strategy 😁

Ronniekirk
01-07-2019, 08:52 AM
They have a turnover 50% higher than ours due to higher commercial income. It’s still a mystery to me how that is achieved but it translates into better players on the pitch.

Rich anon donner s is it not and more businesses taking up boxes and stuff I would hazard a guess is main reason

cmcd
01-07-2019, 08:56 AM

They are different players .I don't understand the flack Mallan gets from some on here .

eastcoasthibby
01-07-2019, 08:57 AM
Hopefully ****ing not

Play him in a friendly or two, to prove the point he isn't good enough to play there, so that PH can take the learning and not play him there again, without doing any damage by playing him in games that matter ...
Other point is if PH plays him there instead of Mackie where does that really leave Mackie ??

hibbycraig
01-07-2019, 09:04 AM
Dylan was a good player when he was with us. But if he doesn't fit into the new system or isn't the type of player the manager wants then there's no point talking about it. Accept that it's not to be and move on to the next rumour.

we are hibs
01-07-2019, 09:08 AM
Lots of thing constitute the make up of a footballer.

If we're comparing McGeouch v Mallan then Mallon has him beat all ends up on assists and goals scored. There are other aspects that Dylan will be better at but the two I have highlighted are very important IMHO.

Mallan needs to improve big time off the ball this season for me. He was losing runners in midfield far too easily last season. I have no problem with Mallan on the ball when he has time and space as he can ping a pass and his set piece delivery (when it's whipped in not floated) is excellent. But in terms of an overall footballer on the ball in midfield I would still trust mcgeouch over him to get out a tight situation. He may have suffered from having an average midfield alongside him last season and maybe allan coming in will lighten the load alongside a defensive mid. Maybe I'm being too harsh and there was too much pressure put on him last season being the only midfielder who was capable of winning us a game (through his goals and assists) but I expected more from him last season and think he still needs to make a big jump up to be classed as a consistently good player for us.

MagicSwirlingShip
01-07-2019, 09:12 AM
I think if Mallan is going to start for us we need to play to his strengths.

He’s at his best when a goal threat in the final third of the pitch, far too many games last season we struggled to get him into those areas.

He’s not a deep lying playmaker like Dylan. Whether he will play for us in a more attacking role remains to be seen with Allan back.

FilipinoHibs
01-07-2019, 09:12 AM
Not for me. Mallan is improving all the time.

Dylan nice to watch but Mallan has goals a great dead ball and a wider range of passing.