PDA

View Full Version : campaign for lewis

steelendhibs
16-04-2019, 10:25 PM
No idea how we would go about it, but the article below got me thinking he should be a candidate;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47950885

Only player to win the 2 cup competitions, and stuck with us no matter what we have been through. Not sure if they just choose high profile players for the award

Juniper Greens
17-04-2019, 06:51 AM
Needs to retire first. Some players looked like being one team players for most of their career but didn't.
Slippy G and Xavi. Spring to mind.

Hibernian Verse
17-04-2019, 07:00 AM
Why is another football club handing out awards like this? I think it's a good idea just can't see the logic.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-04-2019, 07:26 AM
Re Why?

One way of connecting with other clubs... whilst further raising the profile of the club. Free coverage and advertising.

Leithwalk
17-04-2019, 08:12 AM
Good to see they have a "unique singing policy"

JeMeSouviens
17-04-2019, 09:30 AM
Why is another football club handing out awards like this? I think it's a good idea just can't see the logic.

Athletic only play players born in the Basque country (including the bit in France) or who played youth football there. It's become more controversial over the years. Some see it as discriminatory and it almost certainly could be challenged under European employment law. This is probably just an extra bit of PR to talk up the "sporting tradition" angle.

Sammy7nil
17-04-2019, 11:33 AM
No idea how we would go about it, but the article below got me thinking he should be a candidate;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47950885

Only player to win the 2 cup competitions, and stuck with us no matter what we have been through. Not sure if they just choose high profile players for the award

To be fair when Lewis "stuck with us" I am not sure how many better offers he got and he was also a big part of many teams that under performed :greengrin:wink:

Hibeesmad
17-04-2019, 01:56 PM
To be fair when Lewis "stuck with us" I am not sure how many better offers he got and he was also a big part of many teams that under performed :greengrin:wink:

I recall Stuart McCall saying he tried to sign him for Motherwell. Other than that I have no idea if we have received any other offers for him.

Viva_Palmeiras
17-04-2019, 11:35 PM

To be fair to who?

Tha Cabbage Kid
18-04-2019, 08:13 PM
Lewis was linked with rangers too. Apparently there was interest.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Sammy7nil
18-04-2019, 09:20 PM
Lewis was linked with rangers too. Apparently there was interest.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Yeah I heard Barca had a look to :greengrin

Centre Hawf
18-04-2019, 11:17 PM
Yeah I heard Barca had a look to :greengrin

Lewis has had plenty of opportunities to leave Hibs for clubs that at the time were notoriously outperforming us for years. Someone mentioned Stuart McCall who wanted to sign him around the time they were finishing 2nd in the league while we languished in either the relegation zone or just above it. The man is a legend for us and while he's known for not shying away from hard challenges on the pitch, his hardest was getting Hibs back to where we believe we should be and he's more than contributed to that.

O'Rourke3
18-04-2019, 11:42 PM
To be fair when Lewis "stuck with us" I am not sure how many better offers he got and he was also a big part of many teams that under performed :greengrin:wink:So by inference, he was responsible for the underperformance?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Barman Stanton
19-04-2019, 07:52 AM
Countless managers have come in they have all picked Lewis as first choice LB. They could easily have brought in someone else, they all must see something in him.

2 Cup medals, a promotion and a Scotland cap but there will still be some Hibs fans that just don’t rate him.

hibbycraig
19-04-2019, 10:15 AM
Athletic only play players born in the Basque country (including the bit in France) or who played youth football there. It's become more controversial over the years. Some see it as discriminatory and it almost certainly could be challenged under European employment law. This is probably just an extra bit of PR to talk up the "sporting tradition" angle.

You don't apply to be a player tho. Surely they couldn't be forced to sign players without the Basque heritage?