PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Season Friendlies

Hibeesmad
14-04-2019, 09:32 PM
Outwith the usual local friendlies I'd like to see Hibs get a few games down south this summer. With Hecky now manager it could be a possibility with his background down south. I'd also like to see us play Villa so we can give McGinn a good reception. I know our schedule depends on whether we are in Europe and also with the League Cup but hopefully we can fit one or two in.

Who would you like to see us play?

SteveHFC
14-04-2019, 09:39 PM
Down south please like Sheffield.

SChibs
14-04-2019, 09:39 PM
I'd love us to play Berwick Rangers, preferably away.

On a more serious note someone like Preston or Blackpool would be a decent trip

Diclonius
14-04-2019, 09:45 PM
It will be Berwick and Dunfermline away. I'd like to see us go somewhere else for a chance to give some non-Edinburgh fans a local game - Stenhousemuir perhaps? :wink:

cabbageandribs1875
14-04-2019, 09:47 PM
we should have a home and away tie with Preston North End....we could title the event the world club championship final, as present world champions we would get Home advantage in the 2nd leg :flag: :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
14-04-2019, 11:22 PM
Yeh, a couple of friendlies down south so we can have a bit of a jolly instead of the usual trips to Dunfermline and Berwick … please :agree:

cheltenhamhibee
15-04-2019, 12:23 AM
Cheltenham purely and simply for selfish reasons :faf:

Auckland Hibs
15-04-2019, 12:26 AM
Yeh, a couple of friendlies down south so we can have a bit of a jolly instead of the usual trips to Dunfermline and Berwick … please :agree:

I think the Police will have a significant say in what pre-season games are agreed.

Sadly I can't see there being anything arranged for down South due to crowd issues over recent years i.e. Bolton, Port Vale, etc.

Would really like to have seen us play Villa away for SJM sentiment, or a decent long weekend away i.e. Brighton or Bournemouth.

NAE NOOKIE
15-04-2019, 12:47 AM
I think the Police will have a significant say in what pre-season games are agreed.

Sadly I can't see there being anything arranged for down South due to crowd issues over recent years i.e. Bolton, Port Vale, etc.

Would really like to have seen us play Villa away for SJM sentiment, or a decent long weekend away i.e. Brighton or Bournemouth.

The last time we had any real issues was that Bolton match and that was bloomin' 10 years ago, plenty of Scottish clubs have played friendlies and competitive matches in England since then without any bother, including us … I highly doubt the likes of Greater Manchester police or West Midlands police used to handling huge crowds on a weekly basis would bat an eyelid at the visit of a couple of thousand Hibs fans, whose reputation for causing trouble only comes from being at the forefront of the casuals culture over 20 years ago.

Haymaker
15-04-2019, 03:53 AM

New York for the same :greengrin

HH81
15-04-2019, 04:53 AM
Steeton fc, FC Halifax Town, Huddersfield Town then Sheffield Wednesday. Mini tour 😁

Bangkok Hibby
15-04-2019, 05:13 AM
Bangkok...great weather 🙏🏻😀

Hibeesmad
15-04-2019, 05:49 AM
Bangkok...great weather 🙏🏻😀

Definitely on the to do list

Hulk1875
15-04-2019, 06:43 AM
Aston Villa away 😊

Future17
15-04-2019, 07:31 AM
Must be a strong likelihood that SJM will not be at Villa come pre-season.

Antifa Hibs
15-04-2019, 08:11 AM
Other than Shrewsbury when was the last time we had a visit down south (excluding Berwick Rangers)? Blackpool or Bolton about 10 year ago probably?

Days of pre-season tours and trips away are gone unfortunately. If we're in the europa the early rounds of that take care of pre-season, if we are not then the group stage of the league cup takes care of it. Shame as trips to Germany, Ireland, France, Belgium etc have been superb in the past.

Galahibby
15-04-2019, 08:13 AM
New York for the same :greengrin

I could definitely get behind that idea 😁

GreenNWhiteArmy
15-04-2019, 08:23 AM
Hibernians - Away

Blows my mind that it hasn't been arranged before now

Pretty Boy
15-04-2019, 09:23 AM
A trip to Yorkshire would be good. Loads of teams to play, some great places for a few beers and a good couple of days away and it's easy to get to by various modes of transport.

MSK
15-04-2019, 09:48 AM
Berlin please

Greenfly
15-04-2019, 09:54 AM
How about an all green tour? - eg. Yeovil, Plymouth and Norwich, with a wee foray north to Buckie if there's time.

Hibs Fraggle
15-04-2019, 09:58 AM
Blackpool away, or London so I can visit the family down that way

rotherhamrob
15-04-2019, 10:03 AM
Down south please like Sheffield.

I like this suggestion a lot 😎

brog
15-04-2019, 10:04 AM
Must be a strong likelihood that SJM will not be at Villa come pre-season.

If Villa get promoted then 100% SJM will still be there. If they don't I'd still say 80+%. You have to remember, Villa are a huge club, far bigger than many currently in top flight & their fans would go berserk if they sold SJM. The more rational point is, even if they sold SJM for say over £20m, who could they replace him with for that money?

Lendo
15-04-2019, 10:21 AM
If Villa get promoted then 100% SJM will still be there. If they don't I'd still say 80+%. You have to remember, Villa are a huge club, far bigger than many currently in top flight & their fans would go berserk if they sold SJM. The more rational point is, even if they sold SJM for say over £20m, who could they replace him with for that money?

Do Villa not have some serious cash flow issues just now? They might be banking on cashing in on Grealish and McGinn. I hope so I have several hundred shares on the Football Index for both of them.

I read something at the weekend that the PSG owners are looking at buying an English club and Villa were name-dropped.

Peevemor
15-04-2019, 10:54 AM
in July 2001 Hibs played 4 friendlies in Brittany (including a weird one against Marseille which we won 2-1). I didn't live here at the time but was well annoyed that I was across for a week in July then again in August but not at the same time as Hibs.

A similar wee tour would do me fine.

H18S NX
15-04-2019, 11:05 AM
I much prefer we go back to Trinidad and Tobago,oh yesss.

Sammy7nil
15-04-2019, 11:07 AM
If we dont make the top 4 our pre-season maybe made up of mostly league cup games :greengrin

Hector Mudflap
15-04-2019, 11:08 AM
Hibernians - Away

Blows my mind that it hasn't been arranged before now

Malta Hibernians would be great , beautiful place and cheapish flights. This and Aston Villa Home or Away would be ideal.

Hibeesmad
15-04-2019, 11:32 AM
If we dont make the top 4 our pre-season maybe made up of mostly league cup games :greengrin

Alloa, Stirling, Cowdenbeath and Hamilton. The good old away days.

PatHead
15-04-2019, 12:07 PM
Do Villa not have some serious cash flow issues just now? They might be banking on cashing in on Grealish and McGinn. I hope so I have several hundred shares on the Football Index for both of them.

I read something at the weekend that the PSG owners are looking at buying an English club and Villa were name-dropped.

Don't think it's cash flow problems but financial fair play. They may need the play off winning cash or to raise cash through transfers. I may be wrong though.

bod
15-04-2019, 01:15 PM
Alloa, Stirling, Cowdenbeath and Hamilton. The good old away days.

this please :agree:

LancashireHibby
15-04-2019, 01:26 PM
The last time we had any real issues was that Bolton match and that was bloomin' 10 years ago, plenty of Scottish clubs have played friendlies and competitive matches in England since then without any bother, including us … I highly doubt the likes of Greater Manchester police or West Midlands police used to handling huge crowds on a weekly basis would bat an eyelid at the visit of a couple of thousand Hibs fans, whose reputation for causing trouble only comes from being at the forefront of the casuals culture over 20 years ago.
Although the local constabulary won't say "no" as such, they will certainly not do any favours in terms of costings for these sorts of games and as such it rarely makes financial sense to host the games when you factor in cheaper prices, lower than average crowds and a sizeable police presence.

Without wishing to tie in to other ongoing threads, I'm sure our 'new breed' of numpties would absolutely love a day of acting up down south and the police will be well aware of that.

Pagan Hibernia
15-04-2019, 02:03 PM
Anywhere in Ireland, but Belfast, Galway or Cork would be great

we are hibs
15-04-2019, 02:12 PM
I'm personally hoping for a wee trip abroad to somewhere hot in the Europa league

jodjam
15-04-2019, 02:29 PM
If we don’t make Europe then the group stages of the League Cup may take the place of a couple of friendlies

Greenbeard
15-04-2019, 03:40 PM
Omeonga?

Sweet Left Peg
15-04-2019, 03:56 PM
Largs Thistle away, please. Although it's a plastic pitch...

EI255
16-04-2019, 09:25 PM
Prague would be fantastic.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

SteveHFC
16-04-2019, 09:49 PM
Fort William away.

HoboHarry
17-04-2019, 01:50 AM
Houston Dynamo and Hobo Harry will lay on the beer..........:greengrin

houstonhibbee
17-04-2019, 03:00 AM
Houston Dynamo and Hobo Harry will lay on the beer..........:greengrin

Done👍
Sitting in the hot biscuit on jfk blvd at IAH as we speak en route to Edinburgh with my 12 year old son for my dads 90th birthday party on Sunday after taking in the Celtic game.

HoboHarry
17-04-2019, 03:19 AM
Done👍
Sitting in the hot biscuit on jfk blvd at IAH as we speak en route to Edinburgh with my 12 year old son for my dads 90th birthday party on Sunday after taking in the Celtic game.
Not sure I can match that level of fine dining lol......

houstonhibbee
17-04-2019, 03:28 AM
Not sure I can match that level of fine dining lol......

Hobson’s choice as it’s near the hotel I’m at.
A bit too late to go to pappadeux’s
Back to hotel for second half of blazers game - Portland was a previous home

HoboHarry
17-04-2019, 03:29 AM
Hobson’s choice as it’s near the hotel I’m at.
A bit too late to go to pappadeux’s
Back to hotel for second half of blazers game - Portland was a previous home
Safe travels mate - I'll be heading back at some point this year to visit my dad, just haven't fixed a date yet......

houstonhibbee
17-04-2019, 05:41 AM
Safe travels mate - I'll be heading back at some point this year to visit my dad, just haven't fixed a date yet......
Cheers
looking forward to getting to a game at last

Dalianwanda
17-04-2019, 09:29 AM
Sligo Rovers for selfish reasons...Great wee ground passionate support loadsa good pubs :-)

Billy Whizz
17-04-2019, 09:39 AM
I doubt there will be too many friendlies if we end up in the Betfred Cup. Hecky will use these as his games to get match fitness for the players

Aldo
17-04-2019, 09:48 AM
Dunfermline away in July (probably first or second weekend)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy Whizz
17-04-2019, 09:53 AM
Dunfermline away in July (probably first or second weekend)

Always a great away day

Aldo
17-04-2019, 09:54 AM
Always a great away day

Indeed it is Billy

Billy Whizz
17-04-2019, 09:56 AM
Indeed it is Billy

If we were to get into Europe, probably play on 11th July. No dates issued yet for Betfred Cup or Premiership, players likely to get at least a 3 week break, apart from the ones involved in Euro qualifiers

Pagan Hibernia
17-04-2019, 09:59 AM
Sligo Rovers for selfish reasons...Great wee ground passionate support loadsa good pubs :-)

It certainly is a great wee ground. I’m down the showgrounds three or four times a year with my dad. We absolutely love it.

Aldo
17-04-2019, 10:01 AM
If we were to get into Europe, probably play on 11th July. No dates issued yet for Betfred Cup or Premiership, players likely to get at least a 3 week break, apart from the ones involved in Euro qualifiers

I think it all depends on what you’ve just posted.

Diclonius
17-04-2019, 10:03 AM
Fort William away.

That gets my vote.

Forza Fred
17-04-2019, 01:37 PM
I’d prefer if they came further south.....about 10k kilometres further south to sunny Sydney!

Moulin Yarns
17-04-2019, 01:50 PM

Vale of Atholl. Ditto :greengrin

Moulin Yarns
17-04-2019, 01:51 PM
Fort William away.

A game we are sure to lose :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-04-2019, 02:19 PM
Carlisle, Morecambe, Fleetwood or Preston. 🍺 Or another visit to BH's club in Blackpool.

Besties Debut
18-04-2019, 05:15 AM
in July 2001 Hibs played 4 friendlies in Brittany (including a weird one against Marseille which we won 2-1). I didn't live here at the time but was well annoyed that I was across for a week in July then again in August but not at the same time as Hibs.

A similar wee tour would do me fine. We played Marsellie in a tiny french fishing village called Arzon. It was Bastille day and there was no public transport to get there from Lorient where we were all based. It was a good wee trip. The games werent friendlies it was a mini tournament we had been invited too.

Bristolhibby
18-04-2019, 05:41 AM
Other than Shrewsbury when was the last time we had a visit down south (excluding Berwick Rangers)? Blackpool or Bolton about 10 year ago probably?

Days of pre-season tours and trips away are gone unfortunately. If we're in the europa the early rounds of that take care of pre-season, if we are not then the group stage of the league cup takes care of it. Shame as trips to Germany, Ireland, France, Belgium etc have been superb in the past.

This, although IIRC we had Europa Action the season after we won the Cup but entered a round after this seasons Europa Cup so there was a slot for Srewsbury.

That won’t happen unless we go on the Mother of all runs. Otherwise it’s League Cup duties.

Which is a shame.

For me I’d like one of Bristol City, Bristol Rovers, Bath City, Swindon Town or Forest Green Rovers.

At a push Reading, Cardiff, Southampton, Portsmouth or Bournemouth.

J

Souter96Mac
18-04-2019, 06:34 AM
Would like a team down in Yorkshire. Or even better for me, an away game against Newcastle.