PDA

View Full Version : Leeann Dempster

yerauldda
12-04-2019, 11:47 AM
Really good interview with our CEO, worth a listen:

https://open.spotify.com/show/41roAvo3SkUAnlqNaFiR3J

NAE NOOKIE
12-04-2019, 01:33 PM
Didn't really include anything we didn't know already, she could have done the same interview a year ago with exactly the same content.

I would take issue with her comments on the stadium though. Yes it isn't a priority and is as good if not better than as most, but there must be an ambition there to make it into the stadium it can be and that means eventually tying all the stands together.

Michael
12-04-2019, 01:41 PM
Didn't really include anything we didn't know already, she could have done the same interview a year ago with exactly the same content.

I would take issue with her comments on the stadium though. Yes it isn't a priority and is as good if not better than as most, but there must be an ambition there to make it into the stadium it can be and that means eventually tying all the stands together.

What's the point though? We'd just be more empty more of the time.

green day
12-04-2019, 02:02 PM

Can you imagine the consternation if she said we were spending £500k on the stadium and not players ?

You would see even more "I am cancelling HSL" pantwetting on the back of CCTV-gate :wink:

ScottB
12-04-2019, 02:08 PM

Does it? Why?

Apart from anything else, with the road layout, I'm sure it's been previously stated that it wouldn't be possible to fully close off the stadium, with seats certainly.

Lago
12-04-2019, 02:40 PM

Correct, can't fill the current stadium pointless expanding it.

bigwheel
12-04-2019, 04:19 PM

Waste of money for me -two to three times a season it’s a sell out ...why build more when it handles who turns up on almost every occasion ...would rather spend it on players

proud_and_green
12-04-2019, 04:23 PM
Waste of money for me -two to three times a season it’s a sell out ...why build more when it handles who turns up on almost every occasion ...would rather spend it on prayersGod bless you my son!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

bigwheel
12-04-2019, 04:24 PM
God bless you my son!

[emoji23][emoji119]

PatHead
12-04-2019, 04:32 PM
Waste of money for me -two to three times a season it’s a sell out ...why build more when it handles who turns up on almost every occasion ...would rather spend it on players

A bit like loyalty points. :devil:

bigwheel
12-04-2019, 04:49 PM
A bit like loyalty points. :devil:

Stirrer! [emoji2]There’s some truth in that devilment :)

For me the lack of good customer experience when Trying to get tickets is a big frustrating issue ..I support loyalty points as it enables those who go regularly to have a better chance.

If we don’t go that direction - I’d prefer we had a ballot..you register your interest and you get lucky or not ...spending 2 hours grappling around to get a ticket on ticketmaster is very poor experience... off topic
Alert !!

hfc rd
12-04-2019, 05:42 PM

I’d rather see the money put towards the first team and academy. The product on the park is what gets people coming through the turnstiles to cheer us on. There is no rush whatsoever with the stadium. Yes will be nice to build the quadrants in all four corners but no rush at the present. Plus it’s one of the best in the country and one that we are all proud of to call our home.

Alex Trager
12-04-2019, 05:50 PM

For me the lack of good customer experience when Trying to get tickets is a big frustrating issue ..I support loyalty points as it enables those who go regularly to have a better chance.

If we don’t go that direction - I’d prefer we had a ballot..you register your interest and you get lucky or not ...spending 2 hours grappling around to get a ticket on ticketmaster is very poor experience... off topic
Alert !!

And if they want to continue with the current system at least upgrade the systems to handle the traffic.

I bought tickets for Livi on the same day as Tynie.

At 08.45 my page timed out for livingston tickets.

3 hours later chaos ensued.

I buy tickets regularly for gigs and the ticketmaster site handles that traffic so well that the tickets go within 2 minutes.

ozhibs
12-04-2019, 11:40 PM
If we were spending money on the stadium I would love to see a better pitch, the current one looks poor
GGTTH

NAE NOOKIE
13-04-2019, 12:45 AM

I'm not bothered whether or not folk agree with me about the stadium. But I have posted numerous times on this subject, so let me put it as simply as I can.

YOU … DONT … HAVE … TO … CONNECT … THE … STANDS … TOGETHER … WITH … SEATING … DECKS …. There are a hundred clubs out there who haven't and yet they thought it was worth connecting their stands with other structures.

NAE NOOKIE
13-04-2019, 12:50 AM
I’d rather see the money put towards the first team and academy. The product on the park is what gets people coming through the turnstiles to cheer us on. There is no rush whatsoever with the stadium. Yes will be nice to build the quadrants in all four corners but no rush at the present. Plus it’s one of the best in the country and one that we are all proud of to call our home.

I have never said it should be a priority … but it has to be a long term goal if we are serious about making the club everything it can be. The focus is very much on the team and academy and that is only right after the sacrifices we have made to get the stadium modernised and to build the training centre. But that doesn't mean we cant still have ambitions for every aspect of the club, including the stadium that's all I'm saying.

proud_and_green
13-04-2019, 06:27 AM
I have never said it should be a priority … but it has to be a long term goal if we are serious about making the club everything it can be. The focus is very much on the team and academy and that is only right after the sacrifices we have made to get the stadium modernised and to build the training centre. But that doesn't mean we cant still have ambitions for every aspect of the club, including the stadium that's all I'm saying.I agree, it should a least be in the long term plan. Much in the same way as the redevelopment of the east was. It there is not a plan how can we know what it we can and cannot do anywhere within the business including on the playing side of it.

Sammy7nil
13-04-2019, 08:40 AM

Totally agree we invested lots off the pitch for years now is the time for player investment. Also if the stadium is too big there is little incentive to buy a season ticket however with four or five well out games a year people want to be part of that and will buy season tickets adding to the average weekly gate.

RoYO!
13-04-2019, 09:02 AM
Edinburgh population only going to increase.

There were plenty people saying we’d no need to expand from 17.4k.

Submit plans. Wait for steel to plummet and bam!

Plus it’d look cool. A pretty watertight argument I’m sure you’d agree!

Eyrie
13-04-2019, 09:28 AM
I'm not bothered whether or not folk agree with me about the stadium. But I have posted numerous times on this subject, so let me put it as simply as I can.

YOU … DONT … HAVE … TO … CONNECT … THE … STANDS … TOGETHER … WITH … SEATING … DECKS …. There are a hundred clubs out there who haven't and yet they thought it was worth connecting their stands with other structures.

The helipad? :hyper

There's room to connect the Famous Five with the East, and the South with the West. That would leave two corners which could have big screens or a permanent TV position.

As RoYo says, the demand will be there at some point so we can pick our time to do the work. This is actually the sort of project I'd like to see a benefactor fund as there would be a long term benefit whereas funding an improved playing squad would only be short term until the funding stops, at which point the funder would be criticised for no longer putting their money in. For proof, just look at the stick Farmer takes despite all that he's done for us.

Chuck Rhoades
13-04-2019, 09:40 AM
Totally agree we invested lots off the pitch for years now is the time for player investment. Also if the stadium is too big there is little incentive to buy a season ticket however with four or five well out games a year people want to be part of that and will buy season tickets adding to the average weekly gate.

We’ve invested every penny possible on the playing side of things, what planet are you on?

You’d rather we end up like that lot, bumping charities and the likes?

NAE NOOKIE
13-04-2019, 03:53 PM
Edinburgh population only going to increase.

There were plenty people saying we’d no need to expand from 17.4k.

Submit plans. Wait for steel to plummet and bam!

Plus it’d look cool. A pretty watertight argument I’m sure you’d agree!

According to the statisticians within the next 25 years Edinburgh will be the biggest city in Scotland, outstripping Glasgow. Whether or not that means at this stage Hibs need more capacity is debatable, but if we play our cards right and can attract the new Edinburgh residents to ER hopefully we will.

Mind you … in the next 25 years who the hell knows what state our football will be in, or what form the competitions Hibs play in will take. When you look at the abysmal crowds some of our top flight clubs attract its a miracle we have so many full time professional clubs. If things deteriorate any further I can see a stage where our big city clubs like the Uglies, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and perhaps a unified Dundee club will be playing in some form of British league … especially if UEFA's unspoken wish to see the creation of a European super league comes to pass.

Scott Allan Key
13-04-2019, 11:32 PM
According to the statisticians within the next 25 years Edinburgh will be the biggest city in Scotland, outstripping Glasgow. Whether or not that means at this stage Hibs need more capacity is debatable, but if we play our cards right and can attract the new Edinburgh residents to ER hopefully we will.

Mind you … in the next 25 years who the hell knows what state our football will be in, or what form the competitions Hibs play in will take. When you look at the abysmal crowds some of our top flight clubs attract its a miracle we have so many full time professional clubs. If things deteriorate any further I can see a stage where our big city clubs like the Uglies, Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and perhaps a unified Dundee club will be playing in some form of British league … especially if UEFA's unspoken wish to see the creation of a European super league comes to pass.

It’s highly likely we’ll either be in a British league or a divisional Northern UEFA league with clubs from Scandinavia and Benelux countries. We might be surprised to become a club pushing on to needing 30000 seater stadia with the inevitable increase in Edinburgh’s population.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H18 SFR
13-04-2019, 11:36 PM
It’s highly likely we’ll either be in a British league or a divisional Northern UEFA league with clubs from Scandinavia and Benelux countries. We might be surprised to become a club pushing on to needing 30000 seater stadia with the inevitable increase in Edinburgh’s population.

I have no interest going to see Hibs vs any Scandinavian country side so hopeful this won't happen (unless it's the Europa League).

J-C
14-04-2019, 05:47 AM

Make no odds, the bigot brother attract fans from all over Scotland due to their allegiances, that in itself boosts their fan base.

Jones28
14-04-2019, 05:55 AM

Why? A British league is senseless. English teams don't want Scottish teams in their league - least of all Celtic and Rangers - and I can't see fans snapping up tickets for away games any further south of Yorkshire.

As for a Scandinavian league, what would be the point?

Dashing Bob S
14-04-2019, 06:16 AM
Why? A British league is senseless. English teams don't want Scottish teams in their league - least of all Celtic and Rangers - and I can't see fans snapping up tickets for away games any further south of Yorkshire.

TV money in an English language friendly broadcast market.

Jones28
14-04-2019, 06:24 AM
TV money in an English language friendly broadcast market.

The games ****ed if that's the priority

Dashing Bob S
14-04-2019, 08:07 AM
The games ****ed if that's the priority

I’m wondering where you’ve been hiding the last twenty years...

NAE NOOKIE
14-04-2019, 11:58 AM

I agree with your assessment regarding away support. Hibs furthest regular away game is Aberdeen at the moment and that's seen as a fair journey, I can only imagine how we would do when it came to games south of northern England if it came to it. I think we would do OK in London though coz there must be a fair few Hibbies living there who would back the club in games down there.

It has to be remembered that the context of this debate is the biggest English clubs playing in a European super league … if that left gaps to be plugged the TV money the Uglies would attract would be attractive in this money driven era … and if nothing else Edinburgh would be seen as a desirable destination for away supporters which would gain us some support with English fans.

Lets face it, if England needed to replace lets say 6 of their biggest clubs what would be more desirable …. two teams with a probable 60 and 50 thousand average and big stadiums and another 3 with decent stadiums and the potential to attract between 15 and 20 thousand fans to their home games, or 5 clubs from the arse end of the EFL pyramid with nowhere to go regarding an increase in attendances and little or no chance of strengthening the competitive nature of the leagues?

Jones28
14-04-2019, 02:02 PM
I’m wondering where you’ve been hiding the last twenty years...

What I meant was the loss of all the history of our separate leagues which have been left untouched. If we are allowing the break up of our league system in favour of some British league in which we will be swept away by basically every team in the EPL and the top half of the championship then the games ****ed.

Jones28
14-04-2019, 02:05 PM
I agree with your assessment regarding away support. Hibs furthest regular away game is Aberdeen at the moment and that's seen as a fair journey, I can only imagine how we would do when it came to games south of northern England if it came to it. I think we would do OK in London though coz there must be a fair few Hibbies living there who would back the club in games down there.

It has to be remembered that the context of this debate is the biggest English clubs playing in a European super league … if that left gaps to be plugged the TV money the Uglies would attract would be attractive in this money driven era … and if nothing else Edinburgh would be seen as a desirable destination for away supporters which would gain us some support with English fans.

Lets face it, if England needed to replace lets say 6 of their biggest clubs what would be more desirable …. two teams with a probable 60 and 50 thousand average and big stadiums and another 3 with decent stadiums and the potential to attract between 15 and 20 thousand fans to their home games, or 5 clubs from the arse end of the EFL pyramid with nowhere to go regarding an increase in attendances and little or no chance of strengthening the competitive nature of the leagues?

Yepp agree with that. But like I say, Scottish football may be parochial and petty and we may play the same teams four times a season but I think that makes things better in a way, especially when the top six are all competing for Euro places. Last season we effectively had five cup finals and it made for a really tight run in. It was brilliant.

NAE NOOKIE
14-04-2019, 02:14 PM
What I meant was the loss of all the history of our separate leagues which have been left untouched. If we are allowing the break up of our league system in favour of some British league in which we will be swept away by basically every team in the EPL and the top half of the championship then the games ****ed.

Why would we be swept away? Plenty of clubs of a similar size to Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen have made a dent in English football, certainly at Championship level, and as part of a British structure we would be far more attractive a proposition for investment than we are currently. If somebody can look at AFC Bournemouth or Bristol,City as a good proposition for investment then surely a club like Hibs from one of the UK's best cities and with a fan base easily as good as theirs would be as well.

Its like the old 'could Celtic and Sevco survive in the EPL?' argument where folk look at them as they are now and laugh at the prospect without factoring in the fact that in that environment they would have as much money as most of the giants they would be up against and a significantly better support than most of them.

Lago
14-04-2019, 02:19 PM
Yepp agree with that. But like I say, Scottish football may be parochial and petty and we may play the same teams four times a season but I think that makes things better in a way, especially when the top six are all competing for Euro places. Last season we effectively had five cup finals and it made for a really tight run in. It was brilliant.

Unfortunately the current league set up in Scotland is unsustainable in it's present form. Too many clubs, too small attendances can't support the number of full time players. Eventually clubs will have to go part time or bust.

Since452
14-04-2019, 02:23 PM
Unfortunately the current league set up in Scotland is unsustainable in it's present form. Too many clubs, too small attendances can't support the number of full time players. Eventually clubs will have to go part time or bust.

I agree. The constant copying of England doesn't help. We should have 2 leagues and the rest should all be regionalised.

NAE NOOKIE
14-04-2019, 03:09 PM

This may well be true unfortunately. For most of our full time clubs the model is only sustainable just now because of TV and sponsorship money, most of them are one bust TV deal or lost national sponsorship deal away from part time set ups. As it is even now its a miracle that the likes of Livingston, Hamilton and even Kilmarnock are full time … never mind clubs outside of the premiership like Queen of the South and Raith Rovers for example.

It may well come to a stage where being part of a British set up wont just be desirable for clubs like Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen … it will be the only pathway available to maintain full time professional football in Scotland. Its not such an outlandish idea, when it turned professional that's exactly what happened to Rugby … it took them 5 minutes to realise that Scotland couldn't possibly sustain a pro or even semi pro league.

I could see a time ( not a certainty, but theoretically possible ) where in a vape smoke filled back room somewhere the big city clubs get together and put together a proposal to put to the EFL. That being admission of the big 5 and a joint Dundee club to the EFL structure in some way. On its own that may not be attractive, but if SKY or BT were to come on board with it and offer a substantial kick back to the EFL then greed will find a way.

Already the English premiership is becoming detached from the rest of English football. Clubs are going up and down like bloomin' yo yoes with the same clubs making up the bulk of the league every year and in that scenario perhaps the EFL wouldn't be too averse to freshening up their own leagues with the introduction of some new blood who might have the potential to be more than just makeweights.

Jones28
14-04-2019, 03:15 PM
Why would we be swept away? Plenty of clubs of a similar size to Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen have made a dent in English football, certainly at Championship level, and as part of a British structure we would be far more attractive a proposition for investment than we are currently. If somebody can look at AFC Bournemouth or Bristol,City as a good proposition for investment then surely a club like Hibs from one of the UK's best cities and with a fan base easily as good as theirs would be as well.

Its like the old 'could Celtic and Sevco survive in the EPL?' argument where folk look at them as they are now and laugh at the prospect without factoring in the fact that in that environment they would have as much money as most of the giants they would be up against and a significantly better support than most of them.

We would drown in the first season without serious money being put down by the league upfront rather than as prize money or an investor, we would then be relegated and spend time in the doldrums of the British championship, playing Milwall and Ipswich and all the other pish.

Celtic and to a lesser extent rangers would be in a position to be premier league ready without relying on prize money offered up at the end of the season.

We would never play European football again as well.

Jones28
14-04-2019, 03:24 PM

I agree, but remain and reform is easily the best policy. We need the following imo

- a revamp of the entire league set up, with two top divisions with the rest of the teams being put in to regional leagues. I would have the current highland league, east coast north for everything north of fife, east coast south for everything else in the east and a central west league, everything to the west of the Kincardine bridge plays in a league encompassing central Scotland, Glasgow, Ayrshire and Dumfries and Galloway. Just my take on it.

- have a pyramid system in place that allows for progression from the very bottom up.

- a top division of perhaps 16 teams, home and away once a season but keep the split with 3 relegations to keep the bottom half competitive and all three europa league spots kept to league only to do the same at the top.

- STOP COPYING ENGLAND. It's pathetic.

- merge the governing bodies to have 1 single set up called the SFA which has jurisdiction over all of Scottish football.

NAE NOOKIE
14-04-2019, 03:44 PM
We would drown in the first season without serious money being put down by the league upfront rather than as prize money or an investor, we would then be relegated and spend time in the doldrums of the British championship, playing Milwall and Ipswich and all the other pish.

Celtic and to a lesser extent rangers would be in a position to be premier league ready without relying on prize money offered up at the end of the season.

We would never play European football again as well.

Or on the other hand theoretically we would be playing European football every week :greengrin

My take on it would be that if such a thing as a British league were to come to pass ( I am under no illusions that its very much a long shot ) then it wouldn't happen overnight. My guess is that it would be at least 3 years between inception and it starting. More than enough time for the likes of us to go looking for new investment. Not least of all from a number of huge Scottish companies who because of the small market the likes of Hibs operate in have ignored both Hibs and Scottish football.

Jones28
14-04-2019, 03:48 PM
Or on the other hand theoretically we would be playing European football every week :greengrin

My take on it would be that if such a thing as a British league were to come to pass ( I am under no illusions that its very much a long shot ) then it wouldn't happen overnight. My guess is that it would be at least 3 years between inception and it starting. More than enough time for the likes of us to go looking for new investment. Not least of all from a number of huge Scottish companies who because of the small market the likes of Hibs operate in have ignored both Hibs and Scottish football.

That's a positive spin 😂

This whole looking for new investment thing: Willie Miller I'm sure just mentioned Americans investing in Aberdeen, American consortiums have invested in both Dundee clubs, Hearts have had considerable cash injections from mystery benefactors - what are we doing wrong that means we can't get the same investment? STF has always said the club is always for sale to the right people, but why are we not attracting investment from the same guys who see the other clubs on the east coast as opportunities?

NAE NOOKIE
14-04-2019, 03:57 PM
I agree, but remain and reform is easily the best policy. We need the following imo

- a revamp of the entire league set up, with two top divisions with the rest of the teams being put in to regional leagues. I would have the current highland league, east coast north for everything north of fife, east coast south for everything else in the east and a central west league, everything to the west of the Kincardine bridge plays in a league encompassing central Scotland, Glasgow, Ayrshire and Dumfries and Galloway. Just my take on it.

- have a pyramid system in place that allows for progression from the very bottom up.

- a top division of perhaps 16 teams, home and away once a season but keep the split with 3 relegations to keep the bottom half competitive and all three europa league spots kept to league only to do the same at the top.

- merge the governing bodies to have 1 single set up called the SFA which has jurisdiction over all of Scottish football.

Cant disagree with any of this. Its mental that we have 4 national leagues, as you say make it two leagues, lets say a 16 team top league and an 18 team 2nd division with regional leagues, north and south below that would be more than enough. A merger between the SPFL and SFA is such a no brainer its not true … its ludicrous that a small country like Scotland has two governing bodies.

And as you say STOP COPYING ENGLAND ! There was absolutely nothing wrong with the SPL followed by the first division etc, the only reason for changing it to the Scottish premiership and championship was because that's what they have in England .. I agree, pathetic.

bigwheel
14-04-2019, 04:11 PM
Cant disagree with any of this. Its mental that we have 4 national leagues, as you say make it two leagues, lets say a 16 team top league and an 18 team 2nd division with regional leagues, north and south below that would be more than enough. A merger between the SPFL and SFA is such a no brainer its not true … its ludicrous that a small country like Scotland has two governing bodies.

And as you say STOP COPYING ENGLAND ! There was absolutely nothing wrong with the SPL followed by the first division etc, the only reason for changing it to the Scottish premiership and championship was because that's what they have in England .. I agree, pathetic.

Our top league is good enough for me - almost every game meaningful..with a 16 league, too many teams will be in no mans land - not in danger of going down, no opportunity of Europe...no thanks for me.. We do have small country - that's why a small top league is appropriate. Not perfect - but the best we can have for now...I recall the early 70s with too many meaningless games..wouldn't want a return to that.

NAE NOOKIE
14-04-2019, 04:15 PM
That's a positive spin 😂

This whole looking for new investment thing: Willie Miller I'm sure just mentioned Americans investing in Aberdeen, American consortiums have invested in both Dundee clubs, Hearts have had considerable cash injections from mystery benefactors - what are we doing wrong that means we can't get the same investment? STF has always said the club is always for sale to the right people, but why are we not attracting investment from the same guys who see the other clubs on the east coast as opportunities?

Its a fair question and the answer is I don't know. Whether wealthy Yanks is a good or bad thing is hard to say, they don't seem to have done Dundee much good and even alleged plans for a new stadium seem like just talk.

It does seem that in pound for pound the second wealthiest city in the UK both Hibs and Hearts have singularly failed to attract anything like meaningful investment from the enormous wealth that surrounds them ….. perhaps they really are all rugby bufters and golfers :greengrin

Weegreenman
14-04-2019, 04:20 PM

Alert !!

Im with you on this, to the point I don’t even bother grappling as you put it. It’s a dangerous game clubs play because the more I watch football on TV, the more chance I’ll do that in the future instead of actually going to certain games. It might become a bad habit so to speak.

Iggy Pope
14-04-2019, 06:21 PM
I agree. The constant copying of England doesn't help. We should have 2 leagues and the rest should all be regionalised.

We could copy England in that very respect. Non league right enough, and it doesn’t come without its issues down there when it comes to promotion and relegation, but I’m sure a country as small as ours could regionalise two lower leagues bringing Highland and Lowland sides into the equation too.

Lago
14-04-2019, 08:05 PM

Some very good points, specifically the merger of the 2 governing bodies, the reduction of & regionalisation of the leagues, but then the problems, getting clubs & office bearers to vote for their own demise. Can't see it happening myself.

danhibees1875
14-04-2019, 08:47 PM
I'm not too fussed about merging the leagues for a variety of reasons. Expanding the league cup to be a British cup every other year could be an interesting way to mix things up though. If nothing else would provide some different teams every 2 years in tournaments that have lost their glamour a bit.

Dashing Bob S
14-04-2019, 09:09 PM

Our history is largely one of two clubs exploiting and cementing sectarian divisions to keep themselves in an artificial position of prominence. Don’t think it’s much to be proud of tbh.

Jones28
14-04-2019, 09:19 PM
Our history is largely one of two clubs exploiting and cementing sectarian divisions to keep themselves in an artificial position of prominence. Don’t think it’s much to be proud of tbh.

That's a very pessimistic viewpoint.

Scott Allan Key
15-04-2019, 09:39 AM

They have Welsh teams already, and I’m looking forward many years from now. Hibs, Hearts, Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen in a lucrative Championship and Premier League, with strict liability, is plausible.

The proposed expansion of Europa League and/or an Atlantic league with top clubs from Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, Scandinavia and Scotland is the way the wind is blowing as elite clubs look to endorse a closed shop in the Champions’ League. We’ll need the money gained from better opponents and a considerable tv deal to be competitive as a club and it could forestall the smaller investment from our fans in comparison with Hearts and Aberdeen.

Jones28
15-04-2019, 10:21 AM
They have Welsh teams already, and I’m looking forward many years from now. Hibs, Hearts, Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen in a lucrative Championship and Premier League, with strict liability, is plausible.

The proposed expansion of Europa League and/or an Atlantic league with top clubs from Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, Scandinavia and Scotland is the way the wind is blowing as elite clubs look to endorse a closed shop in the Champions’ League. We’ll need the money gained from better opponents and a considerable tv deal to be competitive as a club and it could forestall the smaller investment from our fans in comparison with Hearts and Aberdeen.

Wales is very different to Scotland - 2 main cities each with relatively big teams compared to the rest of the welsh teams that are tiny by comparison. Scotland has 2 "giants" (bigger than either Swansea or Cardiff City), several clubs in the next tier (us, Hearts, Aberdeen), then the next tier (both Dundee teams, St Johnston, Motherwell, ICT, Kilmarnock, Partick Thistle) and then further below that (Falkirk, Ross County, Hamilton) with the rest still coming from reasonably large population areas and towns.

I would welcome the idea of a separate European competition away from the Europa League and leaving the giants of European football to slug it out in a closed competition. I couldn't give a flying **** about any of them, they are such large fish in their respective ponds that it wouldn't surprise me to see the likes of the 5th, 6th or 7th placed teams in the big leagues beg for a chance to play in the new incarnation.

But the whole reason that TV companies pay big money to the big leagues is the attraction of the big teams, it's almost no different to asking why Scotland gets so little in TV money compared to the EPL - because they have the draw of Man U, Citeh, Liverpool, Chelsea etc. with big games being played often (these teams usually play each other or other bigger teams once a week) whereas we have four old firm games and four Edinburgh derbies a season.

People around the world are not going to queue up to watch Hibs v Gent, or Aberdeen v Brondby when Bayern are playing Juventus on the other side. The problem with Scottish football is that we have poor negotiators that mean we have one of the worst TV deals in Europe, despite having more people going to watch the games compared to population than anywhere else in Europe. The answer to this problem is a self-funded TV station. £10/month and you can watch any top level game. Take the money away from Sky and BT and get it back into the Scottish game. Alternatively get a third party in and give them exclusive rights. I honestly don't know what will work but I know it needs to be a radical shake up.

Jones28
15-04-2019, 10:25 AM
Our top league is good enough for me - almost every game meaningful..with a 16 league, too many teams will be in no mans land - not in danger of going down, no opportunity of Europe...no thanks for me.. We do have small country - that's why a small top league is appropriate. Not perfect - but the best we can have for now...I recall the early 70s with too many meaningless games..wouldn't want a return to that.

Thats why I would argue making the European slots exclusive to league position and having increased numbers of relegation spots. A 16 team league (18 for is too much) gives 39 games, post split would give two halves of 8, with four European spots up for grabs and 3 relegation spots. Yes there would potentially be some dead rubber for the teams right in the middle but that will most likely be the case this year for Motherwell, Livingston and St Johnston.

Jones28
15-04-2019, 10:29 AM

I can't disagree with that. There are four clubs in Angus FFS, it must be the highest ratio of clubs to population in the UK.

JeMeSouviens
15-04-2019, 10:38 AM
I can't disagree with that. There are four clubs in Angus FFS, it must be the highest ratio of clubs to population in the UK.

I've never understood why people are so desperate to close these wee clubs down. What harm is it doing for folk from Montrose, Arbroath, Forfar and Brechin to have a team in their town to follow? They represent a couple of thousand fans between them, who might not even want to travel to Dundee or wherever. There's nothing wrong with small well run clubs playing at their own level.

The only mergers that could conceivably make much difference at the top of the Scottish game are us and Them and the Dundee clubs. And who wants that?

Jones28
15-04-2019, 10:48 AM
I've never understood why people are so desperate to close these wee clubs down. What harm is it doing for folk from Montrose, Arbroath, Forfar and Brechin to have a team in their town to follow? They represent a couple of thousand fans between them, who might not even want to travel to Dundee or wherever. There's nothing wrong with small well run clubs playing at their own level.

The only mergers that could conceivably make much difference at the top of the Scottish game are us and Them and the Dundee clubs. And who wants that?

I said nothing about mergers? I stated that Angus has 4 clubs, I said nothing about closing them down.

marinello59
15-04-2019, 10:50 AM

Yet they continue to exist and provide a source of pride and enjoyment to their local communities. It’s been bigger clubs who have gone closest to disappearing, look at Sevco, Hearts, Dundee etc. Scottish football would be much poorer without these ‘wee’ clubs.

JeMeSouviens
15-04-2019, 10:53 AM
I said nothing about mergers? I stated that Angus has 4 clubs, I said nothing about closing them down.

True, sorry, I was generalising because people often do.

bigwheel
15-04-2019, 11:48 AM
Deleted .. should have read the first post [emoji2]

Diclonius
15-04-2019, 12:19 PM
Wholesale British league with Scottish/Welsh/NI teams being added to leagues on basis of market value - would put us/Hearts/Aberdeen in League One somewhere.
Retain Scottish Cup with same format as before.
Replace all national League Cups with British Cup - semi finals at neutral venues equidistant from the two teams involved (i.e. not London/Glasgow) and final rotating between Wembley, Millennium Stadium, an expanded Hampden Park and an NI stadium if one is built to an acceptable capacity.

Or if the above are unfeasible, then just do the British Cup thing.

Hibbyradge
15-04-2019, 12:22 PM
Not read this whole thread - but have people picked up on the Leanne Dempster podcast via Nutmeg magazine that got released recently. Excellent 45 mins (ish) interview with her - about her history and current world ..

Dispels some .Net myths. (For example: she confirms not only was Stubbs not getting sacked , she actively tried to get him to change his mind when he chose to leave to Rotherham) ..

Worth a listen if you’ve missed it ..

You probably should have read the OP. :wink:

Jones28
15-04-2019, 12:23 PM
Yet they continue to exist and provide a source of pride and enjoyment to their local communities. It’s been bigger clubs who have gone closest to disappearing, look at Sevco, Hearts, Dundee etc. Scottish football would be much poorer without these ‘wee’ clubs.

It was purely an observation, not an advocation of mergers, shutting them down etc etc.

I love wee clubs, they are part of the fabric of Scottish society. But there can't be any argument that they would be better served playing in a more regionalised set up at the level they are at. What's the sense in having Peterhead travel to Annan or Berwick? Surely they'd be better served in a regional league until promotion to the "championship" is achieved?

That way they wouldn't have to spend money on unnecessary travel until they were playing bigger teams, and in turn having bigger teams visit them and boost their income.

bigwheel
15-04-2019, 12:25 PM
You probably should have read the OP. :wink:

Lol. Would have been a good thing ! [emoji119]

Jones28
15-04-2019, 12:25 PM
Wholesale British league with Scottish/Welsh/NI teams being added to leagues on basis of market value - would put us/Hearts/Aberdeen in League One somewhere.
Retain Scottish Cup with same format as before.
Replace all national League Cups with British Cup - semi finals at neutral venues equidistant from the two teams involved (i.e. not London/Glasgow) and final rotating between Wembley, Millennium Stadium, an expanded Hampden Park and an NI stadium if one is built to an acceptable capacity.

Or if the above are unfeasible, then just do the British Cup thing.

Why? It would be won by English teams for he rest of time.

JeMeSouviens
15-04-2019, 03:23 PM
Really good interview with our CEO, worth a listen:

https://open.spotify.com/show/41roAvo3SkUAnlqNaFiR3J

How can you interview LD about:

- taking over Hibs and barely mention Butcher/Malpas?
- the cup final and not mention the pitch invasion?
- this season and nothing about NL?

I mean maybe she didn't want to talk over anything controversial but it was like Gerry Adams' autobiography! :confused: