PDA

View Full Version : McGinn

Pages : [1] 2

bringbackjoeT!!
11-04-2019, 10:45 AM
We should be incredibly proud for helping develop a raw talent at St Mirren and turning him into a wonderful all action footballer.

The Villa fans absolutely love him, week after week he wins their Man of the Match award and they cannot believe what a player they have. Read through some of the comment on this Villa forum!

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/18681-ratings-reactions-rotherham-v-villa/

If Villa do not get promoted this season there are bound to be mid-level Premier League clubs of the calibre of Leicester and Everton sniffing around. If he moves it will be for big money and we will get the financial windfall we deserve.

Hibs legend

MWHIBBIES
11-04-2019, 10:52 AM
He wasn't that raw. His first season was absolutely excellent at Hibs. He'll be a star down there.

ben johnson
11-04-2019, 10:52 AM
Posted by Villa fan last night :

A genuinely astonishing second half performance. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a better 45 min performance from a single player to be honest. That sheer force of will to say this is an important game and I literally refuse to lose. I’m going to win by giving every ounce of heart, athleticism and skill I’ve got. If anyone else wants to come with me great but it doesn’t matter because I’m going to win this for us anyway.

Amazing, amazing performance. Like that Hibby said the bigger the moment the bigger he gets. Forest, Middlesborough, down to 10 away at Rotherham! Can’t wait to see what he brings to Wembley!

HoboHarry
11-04-2019, 10:55 AM
Real nice comments from his manager too - he said that McGinn was so good he thought there was two of him and it evened up the man they had sent off.....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47796066

Squealing pig
11-04-2019, 10:59 AM
20% of 20 million coming our way

Peevemor
11-04-2019, 11:05 AM
We should be incredibly proud for help developing a raw talent at St Mirren and turning him into a wonderful all action footballer.

The Villa fans absolutely love him, week after week he wins their Man of the Match award and they cannot believe what player they have. Read through some of the comment on this Villa forum!

If Villa do not get promoted this season there are bound to be mid-level Premier League clubs of the calibre of Leicester and Everton sniffing around. If he moves it will be for big money and we will get the financial windfall we deserve.

Hibs legend

Some great comments on there. The McGinn heat map stuff had me chuckling.

Mango Man
11-04-2019, 11:05 AM
They absolutely love him, I've watched a lot of their games this season and he has progressed himself even further down there, probably their player of the season, so proud watching him.

I've never kept tabs on an ex Hibs player like this before, he was a huge part of a very special time for us, a very special wee player.

bingo70
11-04-2019, 11:10 AM

I’d hope we have a promotion bonus as well.

If they don’t get promoted I think they’ll have problems with the financial fair play rules so may have to sell SJM or Grealish.

Billy Whizz
11-04-2019, 11:22 AM
I’d hope we have a promotion bonus as well.

If they don’t get promoted I think they’ll have problems with the financial fair play rules so may have to sell SJM or Grealish.

I’m sure we will. John’s a loyal player and Villa are a massive club. His brother, Stephen was on Sportsound a few weeks ago, went down to see him. He said he loves it at Villa and it would take some offer for him to leave them

Since452
11-04-2019, 11:22 AM

I think we'll make more off his inevitable transfer than we did when we sold him to Villa. Rod isn't daft. There will be clauses as long as your arm written in.

we are hibs
11-04-2019, 11:55 AM
Struggling to think of a hibs player I have enjoyed watching more. Treats every game like it's his last ever. You never truly appreciate a lot of players until they are gone but thank Christ hibs fans did and showed him the adulation and support he deserved during his time here.

IWasThere2016
11-04-2019, 11:58 AM
Spoke with a Villa recently and said he couldn't think of a pound for pound better signing Villa have ever made.

SJM will be a EPL player next season.. #chingchingforHibs

KeithTheHibby
11-04-2019, 12:06 PM
What makes it even more pleasing is that the lesser greens could have had him if they hadn't fannied about with the fee.

While we expected him to move on I don't think anyone could have expected the impact he has made in the EPL. Every chance POTY at Villa and suspect in the running for the divisions top player.
No doubt in my mind he will move on to a bigger club than Villa and we will reap the reward whilst taking a tremendous amount of satisfaction for a player who played his heart out for the jersey for Hibs.
Meanwhile Celtic look on wishing what could have been.

Northernhibee
11-04-2019, 12:15 PM
He will be an EPL winner by the end of his career.

Bangkok Hibby
11-04-2019, 12:38 PM
My favourite quote..."McGinn must have a power plant instead of lungs"

Ozyhibby
11-04-2019, 12:54 PM
We should be incredibly proud for helping develop a raw talent at St Mirren and turning him into a wonderful all action footballer.

The Villa fans absolutely love him, week after week he wins their Man of the Match award and they cannot believe what a player they have. Read through some of the comment on this Villa forum!

Hibs legend

He’s better than Leicester or Everton level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
11-04-2019, 12:56 PM
He’s better than Leicester or Everton level.

You think he's Arsenal or Chelsea or City level? Not yet.

HoboHarry
11-04-2019, 01:13 PM
Arsenal are reported to be after Ryan Fraser - what makes Fraser that level but not McGinn?

Liam978
11-04-2019, 01:15 PM

Bearing in mind how much we would profit in the event of SJM moving on. There would not be much bigger than Villa in the EPL.

Diclonius
11-04-2019, 01:22 PM

If he continues at the rate he's going then his next move will be a stepping stone to one of the big 6.

The Modfather
11-04-2019, 01:26 PM
Arsenal are reported to be after Ryan Fraser - what makes Fraser that level but not McGinn?

While I don’t think McGinn would look out of place in the Arsenal midfield that has some dross like Xhaka and Elnenny, Fraser has already proved he’s good enough for the Premiership. McGinn is still to do that, but I can see his career trajectory being similar to Andy Robertson.

Just Jimmy
11-04-2019, 01:32 PM
I was at UTD v Barca last night. mctominey was utds best player.

mcginn is miles better than mctominey. he's maybe not ready for it every week but he's grow into a top club no doubt.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Jack Hackett
11-04-2019, 01:52 PM
Top of Sky's Championship Power Rankings

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11688/11687854/championship-power-rankings-aston-villas-john-mcginn-top

MWHIBBIES
11-04-2019, 02:15 PM
While I don’t think McGinn would look out of place in the Arsenal midfield that has some dross like Xhaka and Elnenny, Fraser has already proved he’s good enough for the Premiership. McGinn is still to do that, but I can see his career trajectory being similar to Andy Robertson.

Xhaka is a much better player than Mcginn. He's been good this season and Arsenal have been much better with with him playing. Elneny isn't a starter and will move on soon.
Mcginn could go that far but he isn't currently better than Everton or Leicester.

Ozyhibby
11-04-2019, 02:18 PM

Guys like James Milner won’t last forever. McGinn is good enough for a top 6 team.

Stevie Reid
11-04-2019, 02:26 PM
Whilst I'm not at all surprised at how well he has done down there, I must admit that I was rather insouciant about his imminent departure last summer, and the effect that it would have on us.

He's been a monumental loss, but it does seem like we will make a further tidy sum from him if his upwards trajectory continues.

heidtheba
11-04-2019, 02:26 PM
Loved watching him (on the TV games). We really needed someone with that 'never say die' attitude. What's also good for us is the fact we really did help develop him. We've also given McNulty a step up in terms of visibility and performance. This will stand Hibs in good stead in the future. Players will want to come to us more, managers will be more willing to loan players to us. All good here!

Speedway
11-04-2019, 02:29 PM
Guys like James Milner won’t last forever. McGinn is good enough for a top 6 team.

Agreed. Liverpool would be a great fit for SJM.

ancient hibee
11-04-2019, 03:25 PM
I was at UTD v Barca last night. mctominey was utds best player.

mcginn is miles better than mctominey. he's maybe not ready for it every week but he's grow into a top club no doubt.

McGinn has a good future but Mctominay was playing against one of the best teams on the planet while McGinn was playing against one of the worst teams in the English Championship.

superfurryhibby
11-04-2019, 03:55 PM
McGinn is already a very good footballer, he’s certainly made his mark on the championship this season. I suppose the question is how good can he be?

Guys like Adam, McArthur, Snodgrass, Arfield and McCarthy have all had decent runs in the EPL in recent years and I feel confident McGinn is the equal of any of them ( I know they’re all quite different players).

Hopefully SJM keeps his progression going, he’s a Hibs legend and a lovely guy too.

Famous Fiver
11-04-2019, 04:04 PM
Apparently last night was awesome. Notice he was up against ex Falkirk wannabe hardman Vaulks, who was booked and fortunate not to be sent off.

Gives me enormous satisfaction to see McGinn come out on top in a tussle with an ex Falkirk player , especially after ignoramus Houston trying to belittle him.

Since Houston's outburst Mcginn's career has gone in to overdrive. Anyone got any idea where Houston has ended up?

Sorry to send the thread off at a tangent but my dislike of Houston is intense.

There, I feel better already.

seanshow
11-04-2019, 05:14 PM
I agree, Its time he advanced his career further for a Huge transfer fee :greengrin

PatHead
11-04-2019, 05:28 PM
Went down to see him play for Villa a few weeks ago. Villa were very poor against West Brom. McGinn stood out like a sore thumb.

Villa fans absolutely loved him and can't believe that he was so cheap. Plenty of we've got McGinn chants.

By the way there was a car in the official car park with a Hibs number plate. Anyone know if it is his?

hibee
11-04-2019, 05:31 PM
Went down to see him play for Villa a few weeks ago. Villa were very poor against West Brom. McGinn stood out like a sore thumb.

Villa fans absolutely loved him and can't believe that he was so cheap. Plenty of we've got McGinn chants.

By the way there was a car in the official car park with a Hibs number plate. Anyone know if it is his?

He came to my sons training to watch and have photos taken while still at Hibs and was driving a Renault Megane with no Hibs number plate so I’d doubt he has one now, hopefully he’s upgraded his car too!

PatHead
11-04-2019, 05:37 PM
He came to my sons training to watch and have photos taken while still at Hibs and was driving a Renault Megane with no Hibs number plate so I’d doubt he has one now, hopefully he’s upgraded his car too!

It was a Nissan 4x4

Northernhibee
11-04-2019, 07:45 PM
I could see him being a Juergen Klopp type player.

Ryan91
11-04-2019, 08:01 PM

I met him in the Starbucks on Leith Walk on the night Kamberi scored a Hattrick against Hamilton last season, think he was suspended that night, appeared to be driving a nice Audi Saloon

calumhibee1
11-04-2019, 08:09 PM
I could see him being a Juergen Klopp type player.

:agree:

Liverpool would be lucky to have him. Would be like another Andy Robertson and he’d fit them perfectly.

Liam89
11-04-2019, 08:15 PM
Apparently last night was awesome. Notice he was up against ex Falkirk wannabe hardman Vaulks, who was booked and fortunate not to be sent off.

Gives me enormous satisfaction to see McGinn come out on top in a tussle with an ex Falkirk player , especially after ignoramus Houston trying to belittle him.

Since Houston's outburst Mcginn's career has gone in to overdrive. Anyone got any idea where Houston has ended up?

I don't understand what you're saying, do you like Houston or not?

:greengrin

The Spaceman
11-04-2019, 08:24 PM
Delighted to see him do incredibly well down there, really warming. We really miss him, but as others have said, at least we showed him the love and adulation he deserved when he was here. A special, special player and eternal legend for us. Him and SDG my favourite Hibs players ever.

StirlingHibee
11-04-2019, 08:36 PM
Like many I've been following SJM's progress with Villa and he's getting rave reviews week in week out. The Villa fans love him. He seems to be one of those players that comes along every so often that unites a fan base in that absolutely everybody takes to the player. I hope he stays with Villa - they are a proper football club with an amazing fan base. The play offs look likely now - let's hope John gets an opportunity to show what he can do on a very wide Wembley pitch.

AltheHibby
11-04-2019, 08:50 PM
At this point I suppose I should be grateful to be a Villa fan too.

Fans of the other local teams (West Brom and Small Heath) are just a touch jealous of Villa for having him.

SanFranHibs
12-04-2019, 01:04 AM

Hibs legend

If you want to spend a couple of minutes looking at some of the gifs/maps/memes about McGinn. Several made me chuckle.

https://www.villatalk.com/topic/18681-ratings-reactions-rotherham-v-villa/page/4/

Hibby70
12-04-2019, 04:16 AM
insouciant

.... be back in a minute, just digging out my Jackie Collins dictionary.

jakedance
12-04-2019, 04:18 AM
I love and miss John. My favourite ever player and I’m glad he’s doing so well because it validates how I feel about him not only as a player but as a wee guy that plays every game like it’s his last. I’m totally gay for McGinn. I like this quote from their fans forum:

“John McGinn could work the milk back out of your tea and come back for the sugar; it's not possible to do what he did in that second half. Mo Farah has been seen crying. He's unbelievable, a mutant, a freak, unnatural, an anomaly, a whirlwind, a gyro, an army of one, and I love him.”

BILLYHIBS
12-04-2019, 04:36 AM
Loved SJM while he was here

Wish him all the best for the future and in his career

Hope he gets his big move to boost our coffers

Only concerned about HIBS tbh and hopefully we can unearth the next SJM or produce someone even better

Out of sight out of mind

Just glad he did not sign for the smellies

My mancrush ended the day he walked out the door

Hibs will survive :wink:

The one thing I will say even although he knew he was leaving be it Celtic or anywhere else he was totally professional and gave 100% for the Hibernian cause while was still a HIBS player

Respect!

Jones28
12-04-2019, 05:52 AM

Don't apologise, anything against Falkirk FC is fine by me. They annoyed the hell out of me and I developed an irrational hatred of them from our holiday in the championship.

Pedantic_Hibee
12-04-2019, 06:17 AM
Don't apologise, anything against Falkirk FC is fine by me. They annoyed the hell out of me and I developed an irrational hatred of them from our holiday in the championship.

Ditto.

Since452
12-04-2019, 06:43 AM

Actually don't mind Falkirk as a club. Mainly due to wee Crunchie and a lad i knocked around with at school being a died in the wool Bairn. Houston was a welt though.

S4uzee
12-04-2019, 06:51 AM

And now potentially looking at league 1

Bostonhibby
12-04-2019, 06:58 AM

There, I feel better already.His big angry purple heid finally exploded when Hibs won the cup. It should have been Falkirk but they didn't have the resources.

He then morphed into Billy Broon and the shell of a person that created wanders around East Lothian in ancient hearts track suits.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Sean1875
12-04-2019, 07:43 AM
Its strange to think he was still playing for us at the start of this season, truly incredible to see how far he's continued to progress this year but not at all surprising. Definitely tied with Ivan for my favourite Hibee ever :not worth

Causewayside PR
12-04-2019, 08:12 AM
Question is- what adds on if any do we have for him? The difference between us having say a 20% sell on fee and/or a promotion fee compared to nothing would be massive for Hibs.
I suspect that question will be rhetorical until a sale or promotion is realised...

Jones28
12-04-2019, 10:19 AM
Actually don't mind Falkirk as a club. Mainly due to wee Crunchie and a lad i knocked around with at school being a died in the wool Bairn. Houston was a welt though.

Tbf I think the Houston factor might have elevated it for me, but the few encounters I had with Falkirk supporters themselves were good natured.

Jones28
12-04-2019, 10:20 AM
And now potentially looking at league 1

I'm not one to hold a grudge, but it would definitely give me a nice wee glow - especially after the farcical play off games.

Mango Man
12-04-2019, 10:27 AM
Loved SJM while he was here

Wish him all the best for the future and in his career

Hope he gets his big move to boost our coffers

Only concerned about HIBS tbh and hopefully we can unearth the next SJM or produce someone even better

Out of sight out of mind

Just glad he did not sign for the smellies

My mancrush ended the day he walked out the door

Hibs will survive :wink:

The one thing I will say even although he knew he was leaving be it Celtic or anywhere else he was totally professional and gave 100% for the Hibernian cause while was still a HIBS player

Respect!

That's exactly why I keep an eye on him after his exit, a brilliant professional who never gave anything less than 100% for Hibs, was part of so many glorious moments for us.

I remember a couple of years ago I was having an argument with a jambo in work (one of the most blinkered stubborn Jambos I have ever met) about who was better, McGinn or Jamie Walker, he could not accept that McGinn is about 5 times the player of Walker, crazy.

PatHead
12-04-2019, 11:20 AM
That's exactly why I keep an eye on him after his exit, a brilliant professional who never gave anything less than 100% for Hibs, was part of so many glorious moments for us.

I remember a couple of years ago I was having an argument with a jambo in work (one of the most blinkered stubborn Jambos I have ever met) about who was better, McGinn or Jamie Walker, he could not accept that McGinn is about 5 times the player of Walker, crazy.

Serious question. Where is Walker now?

BILLYHIBS
12-04-2019, 11:28 AM

Ha Ha!

Funnily enough I was on Keekback last night and it has been rumoured that Jamie Walker is looking for a return to Hearts but the feedback was not good with most jambos saying not good enough,shirker, injury prone Championship standard at best

BILLYHIBS
12-04-2019, 11:30 AM
Serious question. Where is Walker now?

Wigan Athletic

Diclonius
12-04-2019, 11:49 AM
Quick question - if we have say a 30% sell on clause for McGinn and he goes for £20M and we therefore get £6M, are St Mirren still due 33% of our £6M? Or does it only work once?

Stevie Reid
12-04-2019, 11:58 AM
Quick question - if we have say a 30% sell on clause for McGinn and he goes for £20M and we therefore get £6M, are St Mirren still due 33% of our £6M? Or does it only work once?

Depends what we agreed - think we got a few returns from Steven Fletcher's future sales, IIRC.

Hibernia&Alba
12-04-2019, 12:03 PM

:hyper

Coco Bryce
12-04-2019, 12:28 PM
SJM will go for more than £20M - Leceister will bid around £30M for him in the summer I think. Brendan Rodgers want's him.

Hibernia&Alba
12-04-2019, 12:30 PM
SJM will go for more than £20M - Leceister will bid around £30M for him in the summer I think. Brendan Rodgers want's him.

What a pay day that would be. Lovely jubbly :greengrin

Stevie Reid
12-04-2019, 02:37 PM

I know the market is crazy down there and that Villa are a huge club, but £30M would be nearly twice what the highest ever fee paid to a Championship club was. I'd be amazed - but obviously delighted - if he went for that kind of figure.

Stevie Reid
12-04-2019, 02:52 PM

He was part of that horrible Falkirk team, but Vaulks was a really good player - had a great shot on him too. He and the left back, Leahy, were the stand outs in that team.

JeMeSouviens
12-04-2019, 03:10 PM
I know the market is crazy down there and that Villa are a huge club, but £30M would be nearly twice what the highest ever fee paid to a Championship club was. I'd be amazed - but obviously delighted - if he went for that kind of figure.

Villa rejected £25M for Grealish last summer.

dchibs
12-04-2019, 03:20 PM
:flag:

G B Young
12-04-2019, 03:27 PM

Underlines why Hibs (and McGinn) were correct to hold out for the Villa offer rather than cave in to Celtic. If he had gone on to move south from Celtic the fee would be nothing like as high as the fees agreed between English clubs.

PatHead
12-04-2019, 03:28 PM

Leicester supposedly paid 20m for James Maddison

ben johnson
12-04-2019, 03:28 PM
Villa fans were comparing SJM to some of the dross they paid between 10 and 12 million for.
Could be a rather large fee if he moves on
In RP we trust. If no move PETRIE !!!

Craig_HFC
12-04-2019, 03:29 PM

£25m

Stevie Reid
12-04-2019, 03:32 PM
Villa rejected £25M for Grealish last summer.

£25m

Fair points, all - and I forgot about Maddison. Would still be amazed, but you never know.

Itsnoteasy
12-04-2019, 03:33 PM

That should cover the cctv & sniffer dugz.

PatHead
12-04-2019, 03:50 PM
That should cover the cctv & sniffer dugz.

Be able to get more of them.

Zazu62
12-04-2019, 05:35 PM
Wonder how much of a sell on fee we put on the deal?

Since452
12-04-2019, 06:00 PM
Wonder how much of a sell on fee we put on the deal?

20% has been said but we'll never actually know. Rod isn't daft though.

sambajustice
12-04-2019, 06:08 PM
Probably be better if Villa got promoted and he was sold as a Premier league player. Much more money!

Billy Whizz
12-04-2019, 06:10 PM

Think it’s a % of the profit between the price he was bought for and then sold
St Mirren I presume are due a cut of what we would get

Just Jimmy
12-04-2019, 06:21 PM
McGinn has a good future but Mctominay was playing against one of the best teams on the planet while McGinn was playing against one of the worst teams in the English Championship.

I have a Utd season ticket, I've seen Mctominay live in every game he's played at Old Trafford. I've watched McGinn at every chance I've had.

I'm not saying Mcginn would replace him right now but I do think he brings more to a midfield than mctominey who is very one dimensional. however, as I said, he would grow into a top club. he's an outstanding talent with so much potential who is growing into a very very good player.

Diclonius
12-04-2019, 06:27 PM
A future McGinn sale could theoretically massively increase our budget.

eastcoasthibby
12-04-2019, 06:37 PM

He will go.for more than 20 million ...Leicester I think will be a definite bidder with Rodgers being there ....even if Villa manage to get up I think he will still go !! The bigger the fee the better 😀

danhibees1875
12-04-2019, 06:43 PM

So we'd have to hand it all, plus another 10% to st mirren? PETRIE!

I don't think he'll be sold this summer. Then a lot will depend on his and AV's progress next year. Talk of £20-30M sounds far too high to me though.

Lancs Harp
12-04-2019, 06:47 PM
Have St Mirren really got a "sell on, sell on" clause?

I wouldnt say that was normal, well certainly not down here anyway.

Billy Whizz
12-04-2019, 06:47 PM

Saints fans think they have, and we did with Fletcher

Since90+2
12-04-2019, 07:06 PM
So we'd have to hand it all, plus another 10% to st mirren? PETRIE!

I don't think he'll be sold this summer. Then a lot will depend on his and AV's progress next year. Talk of £20-30M sounds far too high to me though.

If Villa don't go up 20 million is not excessive IMO. He's been one of the top players in the Championship this year.

It might sound like huge money in Scottish football but in England for a Premiership team it's not that much. I'm sure Ross Mcormack went for about 15 million within the Championship about 5 years ago.

danhibees1875
12-04-2019, 07:22 PM
If Villa don't go up 20 million is not excessive IMO. He's been one of the top players in the Championship this year.

It might sound like huge money in Scottish football but in England for a Premiership team it's not that much. I'm sure Ross Mcormack went for about 15 million within the Championship about 5 years ago.

McCormack might be a good example of a non-english championship player going for good money. Looks like it was £12M after having 3 great seasons in the championship averaging 22 goals a season.

I'd be delighted, obviously, for McGinn to get a move to as big a team and for as much money as possible. I just don't think it'll be for as much as is being quoted and I don't think it will be this summer.

Ozyhibby
12-04-2019, 07:37 PM

It’s not unusual. Basically any money we receive for McGinn, St. Mirren get a percentage no matter when we receive the money.

Lancs Harp
12-04-2019, 07:38 PM
McCormack might be a good example of a non-english championship player going for good money. Looks like it was £12M after having 3 great seasons in the championship averaging 22 goals a season.

I'd be delighted, obviously, for McGinn to get a move to as big a team and for as much money as possible. I just don't think it'll be for as much as is being quoted and I don't think it will be this summer.

I dont think SJM will be moving on this summer either. Grealish may move on but SJM will do at least 2 seasons at Villa.

Lancs Harp
12-04-2019, 07:39 PM
It’s not unusual. Basically any money we receive for McGinn, St. Mirren get a percentage no matter when we receive the money.

Fair enough but pretty unusual down south.

Since452
12-04-2019, 07:58 PM

Sure we had similar with Steven Fletcher when he got various big moves. We always got a percentage of them.

Colhint
12-04-2019, 07:59 PM
Hi Guys Villa fan here. You are right we love him. We know he is a fantastic player. He probably will get player of the season but might not. Tammy Abrahams is on for the top striker in the league, he'll probably get third. Its between Jack Grealish and SJM. The best way of describing them is SJM is a Mercedes F1 car and Jack is Lewis Hamilton. And they are great mates. The other 2 possibilities for POTS are your guy who sold him to us and the idiot at Celtic who wouldn't stump up the cash.

As for the fee, who knows. Spurs did offer £35M for Jack but only on the last day of the window, new owners didn't need the money then and wanted to make a statement.

We are hoping we will go up, and think with both of them we have a top half central midfield. If that happens the sky is the limit on transfer fees.

Alex Trager
12-04-2019, 08:07 PM

And now? What’s his opinion?

calumhibee1
12-04-2019, 08:24 PM
Hi Guys Villa fan here. You are right we love him. We know he is a fantastic player. He probably will get player of the season but might not. Tammy Abrahams is on for the top striker in the league, he'll probably get third. Its between Jack Grealish and SJM. The best way of describing them is SJM is a Mercedes F1 car and Jack is Lewis Hamilton. And they are great mates. The other 2 possibilities for POTS are your guy who sold him to us and the idiot at Celtic who wouldn't stump up the cash.

As for the fee, who knows. Spurs did offer £35M for Jack but only on the last day of the window, new owners didn't need the money then and wanted to make a statement.

We are hoping we will go up, and think with both of them we have a top half central midfield. If that happens the sky is the limit on transfer fees.

I hope he stays if you guys go up. I've no doubt in my mind he'll take the EPL by storm as well and then get a move to one of the big boys. :agree:

I ******g miss him :boo hoo:

Colhint
12-04-2019, 08:44 PM
I hope he stays if you guys go up. I've no doubt in my mind he'll take the EPL by storm as well and then get a move to one of the big boys. :agree:

You're missing him. So do we and It's only been 2 days we cant wait for tomorrow.

One of the things we were discussing is who's he like. The closest we have come up with is Gareth Barrys' skill and James Milners engine. And they have over 100 caps between them.

Ryan91
12-04-2019, 08:47 PM
Sure we had similar with Steven Fletcher when he got various big moves. We always got a percentage of them.

As I understand it, they're typically nominal amounts, it's not going to be a sizable chunk of change like you would normally get with a proper sell-on clause (unless the value of the transfer is really big), and even then the money comes from the selling club (so Hibs wouldn't owe St Mirren a penny)

Since90+2
12-04-2019, 08:50 PM
You're missing him. So do we and It's only been 2 days we cant wait for tomorrow.

One of the things we were discussing is who's he like. The closest we have come up with is Gareth Barrys' skill and James Milners engine. And they have over 100 caps between them.

Knowing the English market better than we do if McGinn was to be sold in the summer how much would Villa be looking for?

Smartie
12-04-2019, 08:52 PM

The best thing about him, over and above the fact that he's a quality player is that he's a really good lad as well.

Rich English clubs have been rinsed silly by some players who are sadly lacking in moral fibre (was Charles N'Zogbia not one of your worst)?

SJM will give you everything he has (which is a lot) on the park, and if you're good to him he'll make sure he sees you right when he leaves. He did that with St Mirren and did that with us. The time was right for him to leave us and he moved on with the blessing of all of us.

CentreLine
12-04-2019, 08:53 PM

Maybe a cross between Billy Bremner and Bobby Murdoch from 1960’s 🤔

Jack Hackett
12-04-2019, 09:03 PM

People tend to forget that Villa were one of the big boys not so long ago. No reason they can't be again, especially with the team they're building

https://www.11v11.com/teams/aston-villa/tab/honours/

... and yeah! I miss him too :hug:

Colhint
12-04-2019, 09:05 PM
Knowing the English market better than we do if McGinn was to be sold in the summer how much would Villa be looking for?

If we go up and he performs like we know, we'd be daft to look below 30

DetroitHibs
12-04-2019, 09:06 PM
If Declan Rice is reportedly worth £50 million, SJM is worth every bit of £30 million. Best scenario is Villa going up and keeping him for one more season. Once the EPL sees exactly what John is about, clubs will be all over him.

Colhint
12-04-2019, 09:07 PM
Maybe a cross between Billy Bremner and Bobby Murdoch from 1960’s 🤔

Yup were on the same mindset. Can't think of many better than them 2

hibsbollah
12-04-2019, 09:09 PM

Hibs legend

I think the 'raw' chat underplays how good he was when he first arrived and the part St Mirren obviously played in his development. I'd hate it when hes in the EPL if Villa fans bang on about how they developed him as a 'raw' talent.

He's just a great, great player with a big future and clearly the guy who everyone likes too.

calumhibee1
12-04-2019, 09:13 PM
People tend to forget that Villa were one of the big boys not so long ago. No reason they can't be again, especially with the team they're building

https://www.11v11.com/teams/aston-villa/tab/honours/

... and yeah! I miss him too :hug:

Of course. I hope if Villa do go up that they can get back to being in and around the European places.

I reckon SJM could go to one of the real current big hitters though. Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs etc. Chelsea should sign him and pair him with ****e, the level of running in the middle would be unheard of :greengrin

Colhint
12-04-2019, 09:22 PM
The best thing about him, over and above the fact that he's a quality player is that he's a really good lad as well.

Rich English clubs have been rinsed silly by some players who are sadly lacking in moral fibre (was Charles N'Zogbia not one of your worst)?

SJM will give you everything he has (which is a lot) on the park, and if you're good to him he'll make sure he sees you right when he leaves. He did that with St Mirren and did that with us. The time was right for him to leave us and he moved on with the blessing of all of us.

This this and this again. Your'e right about zog. But most teams have suffered the same.

He's just what we all want our footballers to be, not show ponys or nasty little buggers who go out to hurt. Just 100% heart and 100% effort.

Actually I was thinking, and I'm in no way qualified to tell you lot how to run your club. But you should maybe look at some loan deals on a transfer. It seems money is much tighter up there. But when an approach comes, If Hibs had said we want x pounds for McGinn and a sell on deal plus we want to look at your fringe/Acadamy players. If we like the look at any of them, we'll have them for a year free. There are plenty of real good players out there.
We'd have still snapped your hands off.

Colhint
12-04-2019, 09:29 PM
One last thing Is Jon Snow based on McGinn

Right I'm off to watch a movie so goodnight lads.

Still think Sunshine on Leith is the classiest thing I have ever seen in football.

tamig
12-04-2019, 09:47 PM

I was the same about Houston until I had a few pints with him in our hotel in Molde. Thoroughly decent guy - a real football man - and had some good stories to tell.

tamig
12-04-2019, 09:48 PM
One last thing Is Jon Snow based on McGinn

Right I'm off to watch a movie so goodnight lads.

Still think Sunshine on Leith is the classiest thing I have ever seen in football.
Does SJM have a natty line in ties like?

CapitalGreen
12-04-2019, 10:43 PM
As I understand it, they're typically nominal amounts, it's not going to be a sizable chunk of change like you would normally get with a proper sell-on clause (unless the value of the transfer is really big), and even then the money comes from the selling club (so Hibs wouldn't owe St Mirren a penny)

You’re confusing solidarity payments with sell-on agreements. Solidarity payments are made regardless of any sell-on agreements.

If we agreed a 30% sell on with St Mirren, they will be due 30% of any future income we receive for John McGinn.

Hibeesmad
12-04-2019, 10:58 PM
Best player I have seen at Hibs for a long time. Raging we only got £2.5m for him but hopeful we will see a rise in that when he eventually moves on and if Villa get promoted this season.

MWHIBBIES
12-04-2019, 10:58 PM
You’re confusing solidarity payments with sell-on agreements. Solidarity payments are made regardless of any sell-on agreements.

If we agreed a 30% sell on with St Mirren, they will be due 30% of any future income we receive for John McGinn.Not necessarily, it depends on exactly what the clause says, it could easily exclude anything other than the initial fee.

B.H.F.C
12-04-2019, 11:03 PM

If we agreed a 30% sell on with St Mirren, they will be due 30% of any future income we receive for John McGinn.

Keep reading this type of thing but nobody knows that. Contractual agreements between clubs could be absolutely anything. They might get something, the might not. They might have had someone negotiating who never looked beyond him moving on for Hibs for all we know.

tamig
12-04-2019, 11:11 PM
Keep reading this type of thing but nobody knows that. Contractual agreements between clubs could be absolutely anything. They might get something, the might not. They might have had someone negotiating who never looked beyond him moving on for Hibs for all we know.

Exactly. Only the clubs know what’s been agreed. Too many people making things up about the SJM deal.

Bostonhibby
12-04-2019, 11:12 PM
Why does everyone keep putting an I in celtc?

If the self proclaimed best fans in the world can spend several families giros on a banner without the I then the least we should do is recognise the effort they put into it.

DetroitHibs
12-04-2019, 11:16 PM

Be nice if the club actually told us what the deal was. Pretty sure Petrie said it was nowhere near 30%. He’s gone now, so telling us shouldn’t be a big deal.

CapitalGreen
12-04-2019, 11:30 PM
Not necessarily, it depends on exactly what the clause says, it could easily exclude anything other than the initial fee.

It could but it won’t.

AZhibee
13-04-2019, 04:44 AM
With Hibs off purchased one off video pass from AVTV, can’t wait to watch SJM.

MWHIBBIES
13-04-2019, 09:17 AM
It could but it won’t.

Why's that? There is no template for these clauses, they can be whatever the club's want.

s.a.m
13-04-2019, 11:28 AM
This is from the Villa Twitter account. :boo hoo:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1116809939396300806

The Pointer
13-04-2019, 11:36 AM

That's fantastic! Love it.

calumhibee1
13-04-2019, 02:12 PM
Super John can be watched live on a well known streaming site right now.. 😉

Ozyhibby
13-04-2019, 04:28 PM
https://twitter.com/mattlyynch/status/1117101928318676993?s=21

Jack Hackett
13-04-2019, 04:41 PM
https://twitter.com/mattlyynch/status/1117101928318676993?s=21

:top marks

Genius! Totally mugged the defenders

Famous Fiver
13-04-2019, 07:06 PM
Villa coming with a late run.

If they get to the play off final it is reported that it will be a £200 million game.

I hope Rodders put something in the sale agreement to cover that eventuality.

hibsbollah
13-04-2019, 07:09 PM
I miss him.

Colhint
13-04-2019, 07:15 PM

this is better

https://twitter.com/darbs1962/status/1116979146087858176?s=21

PatHead
13-04-2019, 07:34 PM
Sure we get a bonus payment if Villa get promoted and a sell on fee.
So ideally Villa get promoted and sell him for a fortune this summer.

Colhint
13-04-2019, 07:37 PM
Sure we get a bonus payment if Villa get promoted and a sell on fee.
So ideally Villa get promoted and sell him for a fortune this summer.

nah we get promoted keep him and then negotiate with you to sort of buy out his buy out clause, if that makes sense. Then were all happy.

neil7908
13-04-2019, 08:57 PM
nah we get promoted keep him and then negotiate with you to sort of buy out his buy out clause, if that makes sense. Then were all happy.

I think he needs another year or two at Villa to keep learning the game down in England. Hopefully that will be in the EPL.

Andy Robertson has been mentioned here and that's a great example to John of how far he can go. But Robertson spent 3 years at Hull. I have think John is sensible enough to know he needs to take his time and wait for the right move.

He'd done well so far but the EPL is a big step up and the worst thing for him now would be to move to say Chelsea and end up on the bench.

Ozyhibby
13-04-2019, 11:25 PM
I think he needs another year or two at Villa to keep learning the game down in England. Hopefully that will be in the EPL.

Andy Robertson has been mentioned here and that's a great example to John of how far he can go. But Robertson spent 3 years at Hull. I have think John is sensible enough to know he needs to take his time and wait for the right move.

He'd done well so far but the EPL is a big step up and the worst thing for him now would be to move to say Chelsea and end up on the bench.

Time for learning is over. He’s coming into his peak years and is good enough now.

marleyhib
13-04-2019, 11:52 PM

Madison to Leicester from Norwich 25 mill

He’s better than Madison

SChibs
14-04-2019, 12:03 AM
Madison to Leicester from Norwich 25 mill

He’s better than Madison

Based on what? Madison is a very good player and plays in a different position to Mcginn. He's more of an attacking playmaker rather than a box to box type

MagicSwirlingShip
14-04-2019, 02:22 AM
Based on what? Madison is a very good player and plays in a different position to Mcginn. He's more of an attacking playmaker rather than a box to box type

According to Soccer AM - Maddison has created the most chances out of any European player this season. Crazy stat

neil7908
14-04-2019, 02:56 AM
Time for learning is over. He’s coming into his peak years and is good enough now.

I'm not sure. He's had a marvelous first season and can go all the way. Whether right now he could force his way into the starting 11 of a top 6 side I'm not sure. If Villa get promoted best thing for him would be one more year with them imo. If they stay in the Championship then it's a tough one but I still have think he needs to be careful about-samhuinn his next move.

Dashing Bob S
14-04-2019, 06:26 AM

Last thing he needs is another year in the championship. If Villa stay there he has to move on.

Paisley Hibby
14-04-2019, 06:56 AM

He's already at a bigger club than Leicester. If Villa go up Brenda will have no chance of getting him.

BILLYHIBS
14-04-2019, 08:30 AM

Nearest to present day comparison I can think of is another Hibernian legend the force that was Des Bremner

We did not realise how good he was until he left Big gaps started to appear all over the pitch.

You stole him from us and conned us with Joe Ward :greengrin

European Cup winning legend and English Division 1 winner

:not worth

calumhibee1
14-04-2019, 09:13 AM

If Villa go up then another year would do him good. If not then a move into the EPL would be the best thing for him imo.

The AR comparison is true, however as far as I can remember, Andy Robertson wasn’t instantly an absolutely outstanding player at Hull, it took him a couple of years to become that I’m sure? SJM has went to Villa and instantly looked their best player and possibly the best player in the league.

As much as Villa are a great club you’ve got to wonder if he sold himself short going to the Championship. He should already be playing mid table EPL I’d say.

jakedance
14-04-2019, 09:57 AM
Everyone here is selling him on already but Villa is a big club and they knocked back a massive bid for Grealish so they’ll be in no rush to sell a fans favourite. I doubt John will agitate for a move when he’s doing well there. Hopefully Villa will get up and he can show how good he is at that level.

adhibs
14-04-2019, 10:01 AM

Theirs no chance Hibs would agree a cut price fee in exchange for his sell on %.

MM19
14-04-2019, 03:27 PM
Nearest to present day comparison I can think of is another Hibernian legend the force that was Des Bremner

We did not realise how good he was until he left Big gaps started to appear all over the pitch.

You stole him from us and conned us with Joe Ward :greengrin

European Cup winning legend and English Division 1 winner

:not worth

You're right there Billyhibs Joe Ward was hopeless. We got relegated the next season after Des left

LancashireHibby
19-04-2019, 02:49 PM
At the Bolton-Villa game today. As a Bolton season ticket holder I’m obviously hoping McGinn has a bit of a stinker but he’s playing well so far. Had a good chat with a Hibby I bumped in to on the concourse before the game.

JeMeSouviens
19-04-2019, 02:53 PM
At the Bolton-Villa game today. As a Bolton season ticket holder I’m obviously hoping McGinn has a bit of a stinker but he’s playing well so far. Had a good chat with a Hibby I bumped in to on the concourse before the game.

Are you going to join in with the SJM song? :greengrin

Besties Debut
19-04-2019, 02:55 PM
It was criminal the peanuts that Villa got him for. Bet they couldnt believe their luck

BroxburnHibee
19-04-2019, 03:07 PM
If Villa go up then I think John will stay with them.

SJNB Hibby
19-04-2019, 03:15 PM
1-0 Villa

BroxburnHibee
19-04-2019, 03:43 PM
2-0 Villa

JeMeSouviens
19-04-2019, 03:55 PM
If Villa go up then I think John will stay with them.

Even if they don't I think he'll stay at least one more year. He's good that way. :wink:

BroxburnHibee
19-04-2019, 04:21 PM
Even if they don't I think he'll stay at least one more year. He's good that way. :wink:

Ordinarily I'd agree with you but English football is awash with money and expect him an Grealish to be wrestled into the Premier League.

Hutchie
19-04-2019, 06:07 PM
I remember when half the fans would actually argue that Mcgeough was the better player. Cultured yadda yadda yadda. Look at them now.
Harry Rednapp, Frank Lampard and Scotty Canhem come to mind (ps it’s a great you tube clip that one).

SJM best Hibs player since Sauzee.

CapitalGreen
19-04-2019, 06:34 PM
I remember when half the fans would actually argue that Mcgeough was the better player. Cultured yadda yadda yadda. Look at them now.
Harry Rednapp, Frank Lampard and Scotty Canhem come to mind (ps it’s a great you tube clip that one).

Ridiculous comparison and needless dig at Dylan. I don’t remember Scotty getting capped for his country and winning silverware with West Ham.

Since90+2
19-04-2019, 06:37 PM

Good point. Use a thread admiring a Hibs legend to put down another Hibs legend.

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2019, 07:03 PM

Shut up. Both excellent players. Hardly surprising that the bigger, stronger more athletic one is doing better in England. Not surprisingly Dylan didn't renew when this is how some speak about him.

Hutchie
19-04-2019, 07:05 PM
Ridiculous comparison and needless dig at Dylan. I don’t remember Scotty getting capped for his country and winning silverware with West Ham.

Wasn’t meant like that. Just shows that some thought Mcginn would go to the top when many others thought Dylan was better.
Wasn’t a dig at Dylan, he’s a very good player and cup winning legend.

Btw neither did Lampard - I don’t think, and can’t be bothered checking.

Since452
19-04-2019, 07:08 PM
Doesn't matter if he's at a big club at Villa. They're not in England's top league. He'll want to test himself at Old Trafford and Anfield. If an EPL team come in for him he'll struggle to say no.

Hutchie
19-04-2019, 07:09 PM
Shut up. Both excellent players. Hardly surprising that the bigger, stronger more athletic one is doing better in England. Not surprisingly Dylan didn't renew when this is how some speak about him.

Your description is fine except Mcginn is also technically better. You’ll probably find he’s smaller than half the league down there.

As if Dylan would go crying about not signing because a fan thinks he’s very good, but not as good as Mcginn lol.
Try because the board never offered him the amount it would take to stay or even as much as Aberdeen supposedly.

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2019, 07:14 PM
Your description is fine except Mcginn is also technically better. You’ll probably find he’s smaller than half the league down there.

As if Dylan would go crying about not signing because a fan thinks he’s very good, but not as good as Mcginn lol.
Try because the board never offered him the amount it would take to stay or even as much as Aberdeen supposedly.

McGinn must be near 6ft, definitely not shorter than half the league. Being short or tall isn't really the physical attributes I'm talking about. He's quicker, stronger, fitter etc, that's a big pro he has over McGeouch.

The board didn't pay him money they couldn't afford. Shocker. Lennon also didn't show him much loyalty, telling him to find a new club during his injuries. That's why he left.

Hutchie
19-04-2019, 07:27 PM
McGinn must be near 6ft, definitely not shorter than half the league. Being short or tall isn't really the physical attributes I'm talking about. He's quicker, stronger, fitter etc, that's a big pro he has over McGeouch.
He’s 5ft10 probably shorter than half the league Anyway I think we’re agreed he has better attributes than Dylan, including technically.

The board didn't pay him money they couldn't afford. Shocker. Lennon also didn't show him much loyalty, telling him to find a new club during his injuries. That's why he left.
Again we’re agreed that he never left because some people didn’t think he was as good as Mcginn but for money. So it doesn’t really matter fans opinion of him.

The 90+2
19-04-2019, 07:33 PM
What’s Dylan’s situation? Can’t see him playing much if Sunderland go up at this rate. Loan next season?

calumhibee1
19-04-2019, 07:37 PM
What’s Dylan’s situation? Can’t see him playing much if Sunderland go up at this rate. Loan next season?

He’s no chance of playing if they go up imo. Would love to see him back.

green.oracle
19-04-2019, 07:51 PM

I was that Hibby. Nice talking to you too. Thought SJM was best player on the park especially the first half when he was the only player from either team that looked like scoring.
His pass to grealish for second goal was sublime.

Billy Whizz
19-04-2019, 07:51 PM

Is John not about 5ft 8in or so

Jack Hackett
19-04-2019, 07:55 PM

He is indeed Billy, at 1.78m... Which is really actually 10ft when you're up against him on the pitch

Billy Whizz
19-04-2019, 08:05 PM
He is indeed Billy, at 1.78m... Which is really actually 10ft when you're up against him on the pitch

That’s why he’s called meatball

BILLYHIBS
19-04-2019, 08:07 PM
He’s no chance of playing if they go up imo. Would love to see him back.

You cannot play if you are injured

Simples

If they do go up they will want to keep hold of their best players

I do not expect to see Dylan back at Easter Road anytime soon

Besides there is no way we could afford his wages

B.H.F.C
19-04-2019, 08:09 PM

Simples

He’s had plenty time out of the Sunderland team when fit and available this year. If he isn’t a regular when fit in league one, he won’t be a regular if they are playing in the league above.

I don’t think Jack Ross sees him as one of their best players.

Jones28
19-04-2019, 08:19 PM

I'm six foot and got a pic with him on my stag do, he's a couple inches shorter than me. Far more handsome though.

calumhibee1
19-04-2019, 08:22 PM

Simples

He’s been on the bench quite a bit this season from what I’ve saw. Of course when he’s injured he won’t be playing but if he’s on the bench fairly frequently in League One and also struggling to stay fit then I’d suspect they’ll be looking to improve on him.

Cardinal G
19-04-2019, 08:24 PM
He’s had plenty time out of the Sunderland team when fit and available this year. If he isn’t a regular when fit in league one, he won’t be a regular if they are playing in the league above.

As someone who watches Sunderland regularly I think your right about how ross views him, however I think he is wrong. When McGeouch plays Sunderland play better and concede less. He played two blinders after Wembley but got a rib injury against Burton so has missed out. Hopefully fit again and gets his chance.

BILLYHIBS
19-04-2019, 08:25 PM

Has played 29 games this season includes 2 in FA Cup and 6 in EFL Trophy has a run get injured has a run gets injured similar to his time at HIBS

Jack Ross maintains he does not have a problem with him always does what he is asked to do

Got injured recently versus Burton Albion

Wont be home anytime soon

B.H.F.C
19-04-2019, 08:28 PM
Has played 29 games this season includes 2 in FA Cup and 6 in EFL Trophy has a run get injured has a run gets injured similar to his time at HIBS

Jack Ross maintains he does not have a problem with him always does what he is asked to do

Have they all been starts?

McGeough hasn’t been a regular down there in league one, however you want to spin it. Hard to see that he would be if they go up a league.

B.H.F.C
19-04-2019, 08:34 PM
As someone who watches Sunderland regularly I think your right about how ross views him, however I think he is wrong. When McGeouch plays Sunderland play better and concede less. He played two blinders after Wembley but got a rib injury against Burton so has missed out. Hopefully fit again and gets his chance.

Was never sure that he’d fit in down there. The number of games they play was never going to be suited to him.

Best thing Dylan could have done, IMO, was go abroad like Liam Henderson. Would have suited his game.

BoomtownHibees
19-04-2019, 08:38 PM

Out of Sunderland’s 42 league games this season, he has been in the squad 33 times. Only 14 of them were starts, he came on as sub in 7 of them and was left on the bench for the other 12

BILLYHIBS
19-04-2019, 09:06 PM
Out of Sunderland’s 42 league games this season, he has been in the squad 33 times. Only 14 of them were starts, he came on as sub in 7 of them and was left on the bench for the other 12

No worries

I admit he has started as a sub and been unused more times than I am sure he would have liked

I am sure he is not happy to simply pick up a wage

I prefer to go with the Sunderland fans on here who watch their team week in week out and can see the qualities that he brings to the team

He has always been injury prone and playing in the lower leagues in England he was always going to pick up injuries due to his style of play and the nature of the football played at that level

I still do not think he will be back in a HIBS strip anytime soon

Onwards and upwards

LancashireHibby
19-04-2019, 09:44 PM
I was that Hibby. Nice talking to you too. Thought SJM was best player on the park especially the first half when he was the only player from either team that looked like scoring.
His pass to grealish for second goal was sublime.
Good to meet you pal. Must admit I was quite impressed with Grealish - he looks a real athlete, though I suppose our midfield didn’t offer much opposition - but McGinn looks so effortless all of the time. Villa are hitting form at the right time so look a good bet for the play offs so we’ll be seeing him in the EPL sooner rather than later.

Godsahibby
19-04-2019, 09:51 PM
Bumped into a load of Sunderland fans in Kitty O’Shea’s after the derby. They were all up on a stag and none of them had anything good to say about Dylan. For him we were the right club at the right time we just worked! I have doubts if he came back it would work out the same way.

hibsbollah
19-04-2019, 09:54 PM
Was never sure that he’d fit in down there. The number of games they play was never going to be suited to him.

Best thing Dylan could have done, IMO, was go abroad like Liam Henderson. Would have suited his game.

It's been seen so often: sometimes a new team just fits a player like a glove, and sometimes a move just doesnt work out. Villas been a winner for McGinn and Sunderland hasn't worked out as well for Dylan, but it doesn't prove one is a significantly worse player than the other.

B.H.F.C
19-04-2019, 10:07 PM
It's been seen so often: sometimes a new team just fits a player like a glove, and sometimes a move just doesnt work out. Villas been a winner for McGinn and Sunderland hasn't worked out as well for Dylan, but it doesn't prove one is a significantly worse player than the other.

I think McGinn is a better player than McGeough.

He’s playing week in, week out at a better level and at a younger age. If he doesn’t get promoted with his current team he could well end up moving for millions of pounds.

I think McGeough is a brilliant player at our level by the way so I don’t want it to appear that I’m slating him, because I’m not, and my original post wasn’t even a comparison. But I do think McGinn will play at a far higher level for the remainder of their careers though.

Shrekko
19-04-2019, 10:12 PM
John McGinn is for me the top player I’ve seen at Hibs in 40 years of watching. To go down to Villa, a massive club and be universally raved about is some achievement for a still young boy... but are any of us even remotely surprised?

The lack of interest in him until he left was utterly staggering ... the fact we were able to obtain his services when in the 1st Division is mind blowing. He will be an EPL player within a year or 2 at most and he will also be terrific at that level which says it all.

Scott Brown could have done it but didn’t have the balls, Fletcher gave it a decent crack and John Collins got there but nobody else is that close to McGinn’s level in recent times.

Bostonhibby
19-04-2019, 10:18 PM
John McGinn is for me the top player I’ve seen at Hibs in 40 years of watching. To go down to Villa, a massive club and be universally raved about is some achievement for a still young boy... but are any of us even remotely surprised?

The lack of interest in him until he left was utterly staggering ... the fact we were able to obtain his services when in the 1st Division is mind blowing. He will be an EPL player within a year or 2 at most and he will also be terrific at that level which says it all.

Scott Brown could have done it but didn’t have the balls, Fletcher gave it a decent crack and John Collins got there but nobody else is that close to McGinn’s level in recent times.Good post. John is already on the road to achieving more than Brown because of the move he has now made and where his career highs will be, and it won't be at celtc or the team they are supply bitches to, Southampton.

stoneyburn hibs
19-04-2019, 10:48 PM
Better than Collins at Hibs? Both great but I can't decide.
Collins was my hero watching Hibs as a teenager, McGinn has obviously achieved more wearing a Hibs jersey.

The 90+2
19-04-2019, 11:06 PM

Scott Brown could have done it but didn’t have the balls, Fletcher gave it a decent crack and John Collins got there but nobody else is that close to McGinn’s level in recent times.

Completely agree. Thomson would have made it also if he didn’t leave for Glasgow and got injured a lot.

The only 2 players I would be that confident that would leave us and make it big time down there was Murphy who should have bar injury done more and Fletch. The rest went west.

BILLYHIBS
20-04-2019, 05:49 AM
Dearie me!

Scott Brown is a great player both for HIBS Celtic and for Scotland

Throughout his career he has had the Bowieesque ability to reinvent himself from full back, centre forward and attacking to defensive midfielder to help prolong his career

He is Captain of Celtic Football Club and a former Scotland Captain

Scott Brown has won 8 SPL titles 6 Scottish League Cups 4 Scottish Cups and 55 full Scotland caps

SJM is a good young player with loads of potential of that there is no doubt

He has won a League Cup and a Scottish Cup

The achievements of Scott Brown should never be underestimated

He has done well to have had such a successful career for a player that was rejected by The Rangers for being too small given a chance at HIBS and through no little skill, positive mental attitude, physical strength, focus, sheer professionalism and determination to be the best he can be have guaranteed his place as a HIBS and Celtic legend and a future Scotland Hall of famer

I have no doubt if Scott Brown had decided to move down south he would have been a success

My own memories of Scott Brown as a HIBS player include the Scottish League Cup Final 2007 two brilliant performances in two 0-3 victories one in which he played with a broken leg at Ibroke and a superb victory at Parkhead with Tony Mowbrays Teenage Kicks

4m now sounds too cheap but good business for us at the time.

He is now approaching the twilight of his career but the key to our success on Sunday will be to stop him playing

Even at 33 he is still such an important and influential player for Celtic

Sammy7nil
20-04-2019, 06:54 AM
Dearie me!

Scott Brown is a great player both for HIBS Celtic and for Scotland

Throughout his career he has had the Bowieesque ability to reinvent himself from full back, centre forward and attacking to defensive midfielder to help prolong his career

He is Captain of Celtic Football Club and a former Scotland Captain

Scott Brown has won 8 SPL titles 6 Scottish League Cups 4 Scottish Cups and 55 full Scotland caps

SJM is a good young player with loads of potential of that there is no doubt

He has won a League Cup and a Scottish Cup

The achievements of Scott Brown should never be underestimated

He has done well to have had such a successful career for a player that was rejected by The Rangers for being too small given a chance at HIBS and through no little skill, positive mental attitude, physical strength, focus, sheer professionalism and determination to be the best he can be have guaranteed his place as a HIBS and Celtic legend and a future Scotland Hall of famer

I have no doubt if Scott Brown had decided to move down south he would have been a success

My own memories of Scott Brown as a HIBS player include the Scottish League Cup Final 2007 two brilliant performances in two 0-3 victories one in which he played with a broken leg at Ibroke and a superb victory at Parkhead with Tony Mowbrays Teenage Kicks

He is now approaching the twilight of his career but the key to our success on Sunday will be to stop him playing

Even at 33 he is still such an important and influential player for Celtic

:top marks Totally agree people have short memories. John Collins was also a fantastic player for a number of top clubs and Scotland. McGinn is an great player but don't underestimate the achievements of others and remember how far McGinn still has to go.

mayo hibee
20-04-2019, 07:09 AM
For all that he was an excellent player Brown remains a virtual unknown outside of Scotland because he never left to move up to the level he should have been playing at. That he has never played in the EPL and never played in an international finals tournament is a real shame - but those are two things McGinn could conceivably achieve within 18 months.

BILLYHIBS
20-04-2019, 07:50 AM
For all that he was an excellent player Brown remains a virtual unknown outside of Scotland because he never left to move up to the level he should have been playing at. That he has never played in the EPL and never played in an international finals tournament is a real shame - but those are two things McGinn could conceivably achieve within 18 months.

In 2007 HIBS agreed a fee with English Premier League club Reading but Brown turned down the move preferring to stay with HIBS until the end of his contract 2009

What a move that would have been?

He was then linked with Rangers but eventually signed for Celtic for 4.4m

I wish SJM all the best

The highest compliment that can be paid to SJM is that Celtic saw him as a replacement for a young box to box midfielder called Scott Brown unfortunately they could not afford him :greengrin

I agree that Scott Brown coulda shudda played at a higher level but sometimes things are not meant to be.

He is a fit for Celtic and has had a long career with them,just as Scott Allan is a fit for HIBS

The point of my post was to highlight the fact that there have been other better midfield players at Easter Road than SJM imho ( Cropley Edwards Stanton Bremner Collins Latapy Brown Johnstone) to name but a few but Brown has been it seen it got the tee shirt albeit not in the EPL and SJM has his career ahead of him and still has it all to do

Hibs fans have short memories

I can see the pound signs already

mjhibby
20-04-2019, 08:44 AM
I think we are asking the wrong question here.
1. Who will have the better career. Undoubtedly sjm.
2. Who is the best player. I can see both sides of the discussion.
3. Who is the most talented and best football player. Undoubtedly Dylan for me. A sublime player who saw a pass before he got the ball and very rarely wasted possession. In Europe he would be more appreciated but sjm is more appreciated in Scotland for his combative style. This is not to decry sjm,I love his style and swagger but Dylan to me was how I would coach a young kid to aspire to.
Let's just appreciate what a wonderful midfield three we had and what a huge sigh of relief in Gorgie when they went.
IMHO if Dylan didn't have his injury record he would be the best player in that all conquering celtic team or be playing for the likes of wolves or Watford.
All about opinions of course but Dylan to me was almost as good as latapy and sauzee and that says it all. BTW I'm afraid sjm is not better than latapy.

The Spaceman
20-04-2019, 08:56 AM
When all is done and Scott Brown looks back on his career, I’m sure being the Celtic Captain to lift 10-in-a-row and be immortalised as one of the UKs biggest football clubs all-time-greats will be fairly satisfying.

John McGinn will have a far more varied career going down south. He has already etched his name into Hibernian folklore as a legend. I hope he does that at AV and many other top clubs.

Eyrie
20-04-2019, 09:06 AM

I think the lesson to be learnt from that deal is that we should insist on an appearances bonus as well as a share of any profit in a sell on clause when transferring young talent. An extra £100k to £250k per 50 appearances would be ideal.

Of course, the buying club will have a differing opinion.

mjhibby
20-04-2019, 09:39 AM
I think the lesson to be learnt from that deal is that we should insist on an appearances bonus as well as a share of any profit in a sell on clause when transferring young talent. An extra £100k to £250k per 50 appearances would be ideal.

Of course, the buying club will have a differing opinion.

I think all things considered we have done well with sell on clauses. I'm sure there are appearances,Scotland appearances and if av get promoted clauses in the contract as well as a 20% selling on fee. I think sjm will earn us as much as Fletcher did and if we can maintain our attendances and get decent cup runs then the quality of the squad will be improved and hopefully maintained. The bigger issue could be keeping hecky unfortunately.

Ferry green
20-04-2019, 10:06 AM
Is there any top 6 EPL teams that are in desperate need of an attacking midfielder who will battle for everything and give everything for the honour of wearing said strip ? I can think of one in particular. And yes I know it won't happen due to perceived "higher expectations" but .....

JeMeSouviens
20-04-2019, 12:19 PM
https://twitter.com/jmcginn7/status/1119555841072484353?s=21

Shrekko
20-04-2019, 12:52 PM

Saying Hibs fans have short memories is just you saying that some have a different opinion to you yes?

Nobody can say definitively who is the best player. The fact I mentioned Collins, Fletcher and Brown as being comparable suggests my memory is fairly decent.

For me McGinn is the best although JC probably most skilful.

McGinn’s career path will make it difficult to compare him and Brown. He’ll not come close to Brown’s medal collection and will never be the big fish in the small pond Brown is. Good chance he’ll go on to make more money and play a good chunk of his career at a higher level, hopefully with a few honours.

Just an opinion.

Keith_M
20-04-2019, 01:42 PM

1.78m is 5' 10".

Not a giant but not exactly a midget either

BILLYHIBS
20-04-2019, 01:53 PM
Saying Hibs fans have short memories is just you saying that some have a different opinion to you yes?

Nobody can say definitively who is the best player. The fact I mentioned Collins, Fletcher and Brown as being comparable suggests my memory is fairly decent.

For me McGinn is the best although JC probably most skilful.

McGinn’s career path will make it difficult to compare him and Brown. He’ll not come close to Brown’s medal collection and will never be the big fish in the small pond Brown is. Good chance he’ll go on to make more money and play a good chunk of his career at a higher level, hopefully with a few honours.

Just an opinion.

I welcome your opinion and I am very interested in what you have to say after all that is what forums are for

My point is I have watched HIBS for over 50 years and SJM is not the best midfielder I have seen in that time

That is all but just imho

Diclonius
20-04-2019, 01:59 PM
1.78m is 5' 10".

You say that, but I'm 5'11" and I genuinely felt that around 80-90% of the people around me at Tynecastle were a fair bit taller than me, despite 5'11" being "average" height in the UK. Are our away fans just ****ing huge now?

SRHibs
20-04-2019, 02:20 PM
You say that, but I'm 5'11" and I genuinely felt that around 80-90% of the people around me at Tynecastle were a fair bit taller than me, despite 5'11" being "average" height in the UK. Are our away fans just ****ing huge now?

Might just be a perspective thing. I’m 6’2 but don’t really feel taller than most when I’m walking along the street. It’s only when I’m standing right next to someone that I notice a difference in height.

WoreTheGreen
20-04-2019, 04:18 PM
I’am 2 to 10 i f....n hate backshift

The 90+2
20-04-2019, 04:20 PM
Scott Brown was never professional in his life at Hibs 😂😂

Caversham Green
20-04-2019, 04:28 PM
In 2007 HIBS agreed a fee with English Premier League club Reading but Brown turned down the move preferring to stay with HIBS until the end of his contract 2009

What a move that would have been?

He was then linked with Rangers but eventually signed for Celtic for 4.4m

I wish SJM all the best

The highest compliment that can be paid to SJM is that Celtic saw him as a replacement for a young box to box midfielder called Scott Brown unfortunately they could not afford him :greengrin

I agree that Scott Brown coulda shudda played at a higher level but sometimes things are not meant to be.

He is a fit for Celtic and has had a long career with them,just as Scott Allan is a fit for HIBS

The point of my post was to highlight the fact that there have been other better midfield players at Easter Road than SJM imho ( Cropley Edwards Stanton Bremner Collins Latapy Brown Johnstone) to name but a few but Brown has been it seen it got the tee shirt albeit not in the EPL and SJM has his career ahead of him and still has it all to do

Your first sentence isn't strictly true. Hibs accepted offers from Reading, Celtc and Cardiff all at the same time. Brown said he chose Celtc because he reckoned Reading would be in a relegation battle in the following season. That turned out to be true because they desperately needed a midfielder like Scott Brown to replace Steve Sidwell who had signed for Chelsea. Brown was never going to stay at Hibs though.

Jack Hackett
20-04-2019, 04:38 PM
1.78m is 5' 10".

My apo's.

Asked google what it was in feet and it came up 5.8... being old, I took the 8 as inches... Forgive me :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
20-04-2019, 04:50 PM
Your first sentence isn't strictly true. Hibs accepted offers from Reading, Celtc and Cardiff all at the same time. Brown said he chose Celtc because he reckoned Reading would be in a relegation battle in the following season. That turned out to be true because they desperately needed a midfielder like Scott Brown to replace Steve Sidwell who had signed for Chelsea. Brown was never going to stay at Hibs though.

:aok:

Put it in a transfer request but withdrew it

A lot of toing and froing with his Agent Willie McKay Brown Kevin Thomson Celtic and Rangers

Brown chose Celtic because he wanted to play in the Champions League

You are correct he was never staying at Hibs

Barman Stanton
20-04-2019, 04:53 PM
Are people forgetting we had a former French captain and Champions league winner playing in midfield for Hibs. Sauzee is easily the best midfielder that I have seen play for us. But I do rate McGinn higher than both Brown or Collins.

BILLYHIBS
20-04-2019, 05:09 PM
Are people forgetting we had a former French captain and Champions league winner playing in midfield for Hibs. Sauzee is easily the best midfielder that I have seen play for us. But I do rate McGinn higher than both Brown or Collins.

Another one added to my list....Le God! :greengrin

Diclonius
20-04-2019, 05:10 PM

Scottish Cups won playing for Hibs:
Sauzee: 0
McGinn: 1

McGinn for me. :wink:

HoboHarry
20-04-2019, 05:11 PM
Never thought my favourite ever player would be anyone other than John Blackley and then Le God arrived and stole Sloop's crown......

Shrekko
20-04-2019, 05:21 PM

A lot of toing and froing with his Agent Willie McKay Brown Kevin Thomson Celtic and Rangers

You’re earlier post gave the impression that Brown preferred to stay at Hibs- it’s just not true. He was told he’d need to wait a few months for his move as we were going for 2 cups. He did knuckle down then but let’s be honest he’d have moved sooner if he could have and his conduct (along with Thomson) was fairly deplorable for a number of weeks... handing a written transfer request to John Collins in the dressing room after a game for goodness sake! Did we have to put up with any of this from John McGinn? No- utterly exemplary on and off the field which is partly why fans wherever he plays adore him. He doesn’t need cheap stunts like acting the hard man, taking the mick out of fellow pros or ‘look at me!’ goal celebrations.

McGinn - you’re right, we’ve possibly had more gifted players, but for me he is number 1 as the full package.

BILLYHIBS
20-04-2019, 05:26 PM
Never thought my favourite ever player would be anyone other than John Blackley and then Le God arrived and stole Sloop's crown......

Blackley was a sweeper whose best quality was his ability to read the game skilful and very hard but fair in the tackle

Sauzee was similar to Pat Stanton elegant skilful would just glide across the grass equally at home as a sweeper or in midfield and what a shot he had in his locker

My alltime favourite performance by a HIBS player in midfield was Pat Stanton’s versus Glasgow Celtic in the 1972/73 Scottish League Cup Final

An absolute masterclass he bossed that game

Sloop was good as well :greengrin

HoboHarry
20-04-2019, 05:31 PM
Blackley was a sweeper whose best quality was his ability to read the game skilful and very hard but fair in the tackle

Sauzee was similar to Pat Stanton elegant skilful would just glide across the grass equally at home as a sweeper or in midfield and what a shot he had in his locker

My alltime favourite performance by a HIBS player in midfield was Pat Stanton’s versus Glasgow Celtic in the 1972/73 Scottish League Cup Final

I wasn't comparing their playing styles Billy. It's funny how we take a shine to some players more than others, I've always loved to watch the flair players and yet Blackley remained my favourite of them all even though he could hardly be called a flair player :greengrin

WoreTheGreen
20-04-2019, 05:34 PM

Great description of Pat he did seem to glide across the pitch

BILLYHIBS
20-04-2019, 05:37 PM
You’re earlier post gave the impression that Brown preferred to stay at Hibs- it’s just not true. He was told he’d need to wait a few months for his move as we were going for 2 cups. He did knuckle down then but let’s be honest he’d have moved sooner if he could have and his conduct (along with Thomson) was fairly deplorable for a number of weeks... handing a written transfer request to John Collins in the dressing room after a game for goodness sake! Did we have to put up with any of this from John McGinn? No- utterly exemplary on and off the field which is partly why fans wherever he plays adore him. He doesn’t need cheap stunts like acting the hard man, taking the mick out of fellow pros or ‘look at me!’ goal celebrations.

McGinn - you’re right, we’ve possibly had more gifted players, but for me he is number 1 as the full package.

Did not say he preferred to stay at HIBS

He withdrew his request as advised to by Willie McKay

Handed his transfer request to Tommy Craig after a home game to Dundee United

The treatment of HIBS by Scott Brown Kevin Thomson and Willie McKay was deplorable

Totally unprofessional as they all sought to line Willie Mckays pockets and their own

The Scotland Manager at the time Walter Smith spoke out about the way they were all treating Hibernian Football Club

You are correct about John McGinn I said on another thread that even although he knew he wouldn’t be here for the long term he continued to give 100% for the Hibernian cause while he was still a HIBS player

Respect!

Golden Bear
20-04-2019, 05:38 PM
It's a difficult one and there's a tendency to look at these things through rose tinted specs and look favourably at teams/players of your own generation.

I've watched Hibs since the 1960's, seen a couple of great teams and more than a few brilliant players (including the GREAT MAN himself.) However I honestly think that John Mcginn in the consummate professional and probably the best all round player I have ever seen in a Hibs jersey.

Shrekko
20-04-2019, 05:46 PM
Did not say he preferred to stay at HIBS

He withdrew his request as advised to by Willie McKay

Handed his transfer request to Tommy Craig after a home game to Dundee United

The treatment of HIBS by Scott Brown Kevin Thomson and Willie McKay was deplorable

Totally unprofessional as they all sought to line Willie Mckays pockets and their own

The Scotland Manager at the time Walter Smith spoke out about the way they were all treating Hibernian Football Club

You are correct about John McGinn I said on another thread that even although he knew he wouldn’t be here for the long term he continued to give 100% for the Hibernian cause while he was still a HIBS player

Respect!

You’re right - it was Tommy Craig he handed it to. Deplorable nonetheless.

The merits of all the players mentioned are all matters of opinion and an interesting debate- unfortunately in my case I just missed the Tornadoes. I’ve watched in an era where our best players have always looked to move on fairly quickly so the way they treat the club is important in terms of how I remember them. McGinn’s performances in the weeks before he left will live with me forever - he was quite simply stunning all things considered.

BILLYHIBS
20-04-2019, 05:49 PM
I wasn't comparing their playing styles Billy. It's funny how we take a shine to some players more than others, I've always loved to watch the flair players and yet Blackley remained my favourite of them all even though he could hardly be called a flair player :greengrin

I remember I used to get down to the ground early and Sloop JB would be out doing his keepie uppies
balancing the ball on his foot and on the back of his neck

He was a very skilful player but his game was all about timing and reading the game and anticipation so did not need to be particularly quick but quick enough

Quick enough to play for Scotland

Remember the image of John Greig holding his leg and you just see Sloop slooping off in the background :greengrin

Still a legend in my eyes

Sauzee was good too

BILLYHIBS
20-04-2019, 05:53 PM
You’re right - it was Tommy Craig he handed it to. Deplorable nonetheless.

The merits of all the players mentioned are all matters of opinion and an interesting debate- unfortunately in my case I just missed the Tornadoes. I’ve watched in an era where our best players have always looked to move on fairly quickly so the way they treat the club is important in terms of how I remember them. McGinn’s performances in the weeks before he left will live with me forever - he was quite simply stunning all things considered.

Did not even have the guts to hand his resignation into the boss

Maybe he had more respect for Tommy Craig after the way things were to pan out :cb

Caversham Green
20-04-2019, 05:55 PM

Not for a move to Reading. The transfer request came in the January 2007 window - at that point Reading were trying to get Sidwell to sign a new contract and had no interest in Scott Brown.

BILLYHIBS
20-04-2019, 06:09 PM
Not for a move to Reading. The transfer request came in the January 2007 window - at that point Reading were trying to get Sidwell to sign a new contract and had no interest in Scott Brown.

Wikidpedia states that Reading had reached agreement with Hibernian to sign Brown but the player refused to move” If I had chosen Reading I would probably be fighting a relegation battle next season and then maybe disappearing into the Championship. In two years time people would have been saying
Remember that lad Scott Brown - whatever happened to him?”

:confused:

Caversham Green
20-04-2019, 06:26 PM
Wikidpedia states that Reading had reached agreement with Hibernian to sign Brown but the player refused to move” If I had chosen Reading I would probably be fighting a relegation battle next season and then maybe disappearing into the Championship. In two years time people would have been saying
Remember that lad Scott Brown - whatever happened to him?”

That is indeed what Wikipedia says. It's not how it happened though.

BILLYHIBS
20-04-2019, 06:40 PM
That is indeed what Wikipedia says. It's not how it happened though.

“ When the legend becomes fact print the legend.”

:cb

BILLYHIBS
20-04-2019, 10:30 PM
It's a difficult one and there's a tendency to look at these things through rose tinted specs and look favourably at teams/players of your own generation.

I've watched Hibs since the 1960's, seen a couple of great teams and more than a few brilliant players (including the GREAT MAN himself.) However I honestly think that John Mcginn in the consummate professional and probably the best all round player I have ever seen in a Hibs jersey.

Better than Patrick Gordon Stanton?

we are hibs
01-05-2019, 09:39 PM
Just scooped villa's players player of the year and supporters player of the year

PatHead
01-05-2019, 09:44 PM
I miss him.

cabbageandribs1875
01-05-2019, 09:49 PM
SJM should have a star named after him

calumhibee1
02-05-2019, 07:26 AM
Love you, John.

Austinho
02-05-2019, 07:47 AM
We were absolutely well and truely robbed by Villa.

IWasThere2016
02-05-2019, 10:57 AM

No chance. Brilliant - but not better than Sir Pat.

Since452
02-05-2019, 11:22 AM

And to think Celtic were getting all touchy because we told them to shove their pathetic offer up their arse...

MWHIBBIES
02-05-2019, 11:36 AM

So far. We could end up with another 4/5 million from it. Our mistake was not trying to renew his contract after the first season.

Since452
02-05-2019, 11:41 AM
I still think Rodgers will make a bid this summer. He'll have a huge amount of clubs looking at him. Money no object these days.

CapitalGreen
02-05-2019, 12:04 PM
So far. We could end up with another 4/5 million from it. Our mistake was not trying to renew his contract after the first season.

Who said we didn't try?

MWHIBBIES
02-05-2019, 01:09 PM
Who said we didn't try?

I don't know, maybe we did but I find it quite unlikely.

RIP
02-05-2019, 01:37 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brilliant-video-john-mcginn-tyrone-16200433.amp

hibeerealist
02-05-2019, 01:48 PM

Nah, McGinn is very good and is a true professional but I am sorry not nearly as good as god - I am in your camp Billy and I think there will be MANY more of us Hibbies who were fortunate enough to watch Paddy who would agree.

Both great players for HFC however there is only one Pat Stanton!!!

PatHead
02-05-2019, 01:53 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brilliant-video-john-mcginn-tyrone-16200433.amp

Brilliant

hibsbollah
02-05-2019, 02:02 PM
Brilliant

:greengrin Brought a big smile to my face.

Interesting reading he's on his 14th booking. Surely they have to rest him now for the Norwich game which is basically irrelevant. Being suspended going into a playoff final at Wembley would be a nightmare.

Colhint
02-05-2019, 08:31 PM
:greengrin Brought a big smile to my face.

Interesting reading he's on his 14th booking. Surely they have to rest him now for the Norwich game which is basically irrelevant. Being suspended going into a playoff final at Wembley would be a nightmare.

Hi Guys he wont play this weekend Dean's already said as much.

But as already said above. Players player and Supporters player in his first season. Well done that man.

I think sometimes down here we don't appreciate Scottish players as much as we should, probably a bit pompous on our part. I bet there are plenty of cracking players. You just need to get a real good national coach to put some on the map.

Anyway I think you were all being a bit harsh on Bamford. It was just mistaken Identity, El Ghazi didn't do him it was Arya Stark.

jakedance
02-05-2019, 08:38 PM
Villa got an absolute bargain. At the time I couldn’t believe more clubs weren’t interested to start a bidding war. I’m delighted he’s done well there and it vindicates a bit how much I rated him at Hibs. My favourite Hibee (since early 90’s).

HoboHarry
02-05-2019, 08:41 PM
Hi Guys he wont play this weekend Dean's already said as much.

But as already said above. Players player and Supporters player in his first season. Well done that man.

I think sometimes down here we don't appreciate Scottish players as much as we should, probably a bit pompous on our part. I bet there are plenty of cracking players. You just need to get a real good national coach to put some on the map.

Anyway I think you were all being a bit harsh on Bamford. It was just mistaken Identity, El Ghazi didn't do him it was Arya Stark.

Wish Arya Stark would do me....

Colhint
02-05-2019, 08:46 PM
Wish Arya Stark would do me....

:wink:

monktonharp
03-05-2019, 02:30 AM

:confused: perhaps a bit unfair to ask that question, certainly to younger fans. they will know all about our most famous hero Paddy. no doubt hearing about him from family, faithers uncles etc but they have recently seen a player in the shape of John McGinn that almost fits that bill. never the stylish class that Stanton had but had that certain never say die determination, and was capable of some special things too. Mc Ginn was up there with Stanton as something special and any younger fans have the right to claim that.

Bangkok Hibby
03-05-2019, 04:15 AM
perhaps a bit unfair to ask that question, certainly to younger fans. they will know all about our most famous hero Paddy. no doubt hearing about him from family, faithers uncles etc but they have recently seen a player in the shape of John McGinn that almost fits that bill. never the stylish class that Stanton had but had that certain never say die determination, and was capable of some special things too. Mc Ginn was up there with Stanton as something special and any younger fans have the right to claim that.

Fair point and there has to be a strong case for Gordon Smith or Eddie Turnbull for example who many of us oldies wont remember playing

Barman Stanton
03-05-2019, 07:36 AM
Remember there were Hibs fans who thought McGeough was the better player between him and McGinn. Shows how good a season he had. Personally Sauzee is still the best player I have seen play for Hibs. McGinn a close second though.

Unseen work
14-05-2019, 10:52 PM
Now I’m the play off finals after winning tonight. Earning absolutely rave reviews all season with most expecting him to be a premier league player.

Does anyone know if we have a clause if they get promoted?

I presume we have a percentage of any sell on fee?

Probably better for us if they don’t go up as them hopefully a premier league team comes in for him, certainly seems to be attracting a lot of interest and will go for big bucks.

Ozyhibby
14-05-2019, 11:48 PM
Remember there were Hibs fans who thought McGeough was the better player between him and McGinn. Shows how good a season he had. Personally Sauzee is still the best player I have seen play for Hibs. McGinn a close second though.

I never understood that. I liked mcgeogh and would def take him back but he couldn’t lace McGinns boots.

Shrekko
15-05-2019, 12:25 AM
It wasn’t his vintage best tonight but still a key contribution in lots of different ways... the boy is an absolute machine. WBA had one of their top players man marking him and he ended up red carded as McGinn was up for the battle and just too good for him.

Hope there is a promotion bonus as I don’t see Villa selling him now they have a wealthy backer- their fans love him.

Iain G
15-05-2019, 06:09 AM
It wasn’t his vintage best tonight but still a key contribution in lots of different ways... the boy is an absolute machine. WBA had one of their top players man marking him and he ended up red carded as McGinn was up for the battle and just too good for him.

Hope there is a promotion bonus as I don’t see Villa selling him now they have a wealthy backer- their fans love him.

Man U could do worse than to envigorate their midfield and kick lazy git Pogba up the backside every now and again!

.Sean.
15-05-2019, 06:33 AM
I honestly can’t ever think of a Hibs player as universally loved by us.

Head and shoulders above anyone I’ve seen play for Hibs, Sauzee included.

Allant1981
15-05-2019, 06:42 AM
I honestly can’t ever think of a Hibs player as universally loved by us.

Head and shoulders above anyone I’ve seen play for Hibs, Sauzee included.

You genuinely think he was better than sauzee? McGinn is a cracking player but for me not in the same league as sauzee

bingo70
15-05-2019, 06:42 AM
Man U could do worse than to envigorate their midfield and kick lazy git Pogba up the backside every now and again!

I’ve been thinking the same thing.

In terms of ability he’s probably not at the level Man U want to be at but in terms of attitude what he’d bring to that team is priceless. His energy is infectious and would drive the higher profile players on imo.

Man U seem to have a signing policy based on shirt sales rather than squad balance though so it won’t happen but he’d be a shrewd signings for them IMO. Same probably applies to Arsenal FWIW.