PDA

View Full Version : McGinn

Pages : 1 [2]

.Sean.
15-05-2019, 06:46 AM
You genuinely think he was better than sauzee? McGinn is a cracking player but for me not in the same league as sauzee
I’d say so yes.

FWIW I can take or leave Sauzee. Absolutely adored him when he was here but he quite clearly doesn’t give a toss about Hibs or the support.

bingo70
15-05-2019, 06:53 AM
I’d say so yes.

FWIW I can take or leave Sauzee. Absolutely adored him when he was here but he quite clearly doesn’t give a toss about Hibs or the support.

Was speaking to Mathias Jack when I was in Düsseldorf earlier in the year, think he holds the same opinion as you.

Wasn’t a universally popular person in the changing room apparently.

Still the best Hibs player I’ve seen but SJM is certainly right up there.

Stuart93
15-05-2019, 06:58 AM
I honestly can’t ever think of a Hibs player as universally loved by us.

Head and shoulders above anyone I’ve seen play for Hibs, Sauzee included.

Haha, a champions league winner you’re referring to there.

Mcginn won’t ever get to that kind of level imo

Gloucester Hibs
15-05-2019, 07:06 AM

It's almost an impossible choice to make; they played in different positions and were at entirely different stages in their careers. Who's to say SJM won't go on to win major honours in England or Europe? I certainly wouldn't bet against it.

If forced to choose one of the 2 to have in my Hibs starting XI for next season I'd go with SJM

JimBHibees
15-05-2019, 07:07 AM
Was speaking to Mathias Jack when I was in Düsseldorf earlier in the year, think he holds the same opinion as you.

Wasn’t a universally popular person in the changing room apparently.

Still the best Hibs player I’ve seen but SJM is certainly right up there.

Was that not because Matty and a few others (Luna?) stabbed him in the back when manager.

Since452
15-05-2019, 07:07 AM

With a little luck Andy Robertson might have won the Champions League twice. Wouldn't have thought that when he was at Dundee United. McGinn will go far. Sauzee was genuinely word class in his prime though.

JimBHibees
15-05-2019, 07:08 AM

We do need to recognise brilliant as Sauzee was in his time here he was nowhere near his prime when at our club.

Since452
15-05-2019, 07:13 AM
I’d say so yes.

Kind of where i am. Was privileged to have seen him play for us but whatever happened behind closed doors has seen him cut ties with the club completely.

bingo70
15-05-2019, 07:15 AM
Was that not because Matty and a few others (Luna?) stabbed him in the back when manager.

Don’t know about that but he certainly wasn’t complimentary about his management, he felt he left everything to Donald Park and didn’t talk to the players.

sauzee=legend
15-05-2019, 07:19 AM
Kind of where i am. Was privileged to have seen him play for us but whatever happened behind closed doors has seen him cut ties with the club completely.

From what I’ve been hearing from ex players.....
The way the club treated him hurt him deeply.
Without sounding to obvious - his biggest issue was Petrie, doubt we will see Sir Sauzee at Easter road whilst Petrie is still here.

offshorehibby
15-05-2019, 07:22 AM

They probably said the same abut Des Bremner.

oldbutdim
15-05-2019, 07:24 AM
From what I’ve been hearing from ex players.....
The way the club treated him hurt him deeply.
Without sounding to obvious - his biggest issue was Petrie, doubt we will see Sir Sauzee at Easter road whilst Petrie is still here.

Petrie wanted to keep him as manager. They were quite chummy.

Peevemor
15-05-2019, 07:41 AM
Petrie wanted to keep him as manager. They were quite chummy.

From what I gather RP was the only board member who voted against sacking him as manager. At the time he was the managing director (I think Ken Lewandoski was chairman).

However, after being sacked as manager, Franck still had a season and a half left on his playing contract (at £6k per week). This is what he eventually fell out with the club over.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/11954568.sauzee-still-on-the-hibs-payroll/

BILLYHIBS
15-05-2019, 07:45 AM
perhaps a bit unfair to ask that question, certainly to younger fans. they will know all about our most famous hero Paddy. no doubt hearing about him from family, faithers uncles etc but they have recently seen a player in the shape of John McGinn that almost fits that bill. never the stylish class that Stanton had but had that certain never say die determination, and was capable of some special things too. Mc Ginn was up there with Stanton as something special and any younger fans have the right to claim that.

Not unfair at all

When the OP referred to the “The great man” and said that he had been watching HIBS since the 1960s I could only presume he was talking about Gordon Smith or Pat Stanton both better players than SJM in my opinion

Stuart93
15-05-2019, 07:51 AM
They probably said the same abut Des Bremner.

Footballs changed quite a bit since then to be fair

BILLYHIBS
15-05-2019, 07:54 AM
How good was SJM last night?

Loved his nutmeg on the guy at high speed before swinging in a cross

I had forgotten how effective he was at driving teams high up the pitch

Still using that big bahookey to good effect

Hopefully a big payday around the corner after that barnstorming performance

Come on Brenda get the dosh out! :greengrin

GreenCastle
15-05-2019, 08:01 AM
How good was SJM last night?

Loved his nutmeg on the guy at high speed before swinging in a cross

I had forgotten how effective he was at driving teams high up the pitch

Still using that big bahookey to good effect

Hopefully a big payday around the corner after that barnstorming performance

Come on Brenda get the dosh out! :greengrin

I have no links to Villa or Birmingham but after watching Brunt being an absolute thug and trying to do McGinn in - I was definitely wanting Villa to progress.

Villa v Leeds would be some final.

Both would be good additions to the EPL.

Thought SJM was outstanding and amazed scouts from other teams didn’t realise this when he was at Hibs.

green with envy
15-05-2019, 08:06 AM

You have just won the silliest post of the day and it's only 9am.

tonyrougier123
15-05-2019, 08:08 AM
Its amazing how well the move has worked out for sjm.villa getting promoted with that sqaud will be some achievement.
The fans love him,and he seems to be on a par with grealish that way.
For me without mcginn signing for them villa were nowhere near it this season.
True legend for us and is on his way to that with villa in his first season,incredible stuff!

BILLYHIBS
15-05-2019, 08:10 AM
I have no links to Villa or Birmingham but after watching Brunt being an absolute thug and trying to do McGinn in - I was definitely wanting Villa to progress.

Villa v Leeds would be some final.

Both would be good additions to the EPL.

Thought SJM was outstanding and amazed scouts from other teams didn’t realise this when he was at Hibs.

Agree!

Plain as the nose on your face

Celtic must be spewing :greengrin

Since452
15-05-2019, 08:14 AM
Hopefully Villa go up and we pocket a couple million (rumoured), then SJM has a good season in EPL and is sold for 20 odd million and we get a large slice. Wishful thinking but not unrealistic.

jeffers
15-05-2019, 08:14 AM
Absolutely delighted for SJM. I have no feelings toward Aston Villa until he moved there and now want them to get promoted. Not only a great player, but a lovely guy to boot.

G B Young
15-05-2019, 08:22 AM

There's simply no way he's 'head and shoulders' above Sauzee. Not yet anyway! Franck was captain of France, a Champions League winner and a three-time French title winner. With Sauzee and Latapy on song we could be all but unplayable, especially in derbies where their pure class elevated them above anyone else on the field and was the reason we dominated the fixture under McLeish.

As you say, McGinn is well loved but he's got a long way to go to match Sauzee in terms of pure ability. The way he's slotted in at Villa though proves that he's a class act too and he will only get better.

Sauzee's time at Hibs ended sadly and he should never have been appointed boss (it was an emotional appointment that simply wasn't thought through) but I've never held that against him. He was passionate about playing for us when he was here and said he had never expected to feel the same love for a club as he had done at Marseille. He gave us some magnificent moments and it was a privilege to watch him play for Hibs.

While many on here will never have seen Stanton play, for me he's the one who remains 'Mr Hibs' and, like Sauzee, it was sad the way his time as manager failed to work out. Going further back, the way fans of my dad's generation talk about Gordon Smith I think there have been few more beloved players in the Scottish game. Like Sauzee, he became pretty reclusive after his career ended but his contribution to Hibs as a player was immense.

tonyrougier123
15-05-2019, 08:26 AM
Agree!

Plain as the nose on your face

Celtic must be spewing :greengrin

It would sicken me him being as effective for celtic as he has been for us and villa.they had a ready made replacement for brown right under there nose!and refused to cough up.now they will pay millions in the summer trying to find a player as effective as SJM.im a villa hibby as long as he is there.the fact they adopted our song for him is amazing as well.

Just Jimmy
15-05-2019, 08:40 AM
I’ve been thinking the same thing.

In terms of ability he’s probably not at the level Man U want to be at but in terms of attitude what he’d bring to that team is priceless. His energy is infectious and would drive the higher profile players on imo.

Man U seem to have a signing policy based on shirt sales rather than squad balance though so it won’t happen but he’d be a shrewd signings for them IMO. Same probably applies to Arsenal FWIW.People had a go at me on here earlier in the season after a man Utd European tie, for saying the same thing.

my point was whilst mcginn isn't going to be a top player at that level yet, as with Robertson at Liverpool, getting him into that environment now will allow him to grow into it. he certainly has the ability to influence games.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

BILLYHIBS
15-05-2019, 08:43 AM
There's simply no way he's 'head and shoulders' above Sauzee. Not yet anyway! Franck was captain of France, a Champions League winner and a three-time French title winner. With Sauzee and Latapy on song we could be all but unplayable, especially in derbies where their pure class elevated them above anyone else on the field and was the reason we dominated the fixture under McLeish.

As you say, McGinn is well loved but he's got a long way to go to match Sauzee in terms of pure ability. The way he's slotted in at Villa though proves that he's a class act too and he will only get better.

Sauzee's time at Hibs ended sadly and he should never have been appointed boss (it was an emotional appointment that simply wasn't thought through) but I've never held that against him. He was passionate about playing for us when he was here and said he had never expected to feel the same love for a club as he had done at Marseille. He gave us some magnificent moments and it was a privilege to watch him play for Hibs.

While many on here will never have seen Stanton play, for me he's the one who remains 'Mr Hibs' and, like Sauzee, it was sad the way his time as manager failed to work out. Going further back, the way fans of my dad's generation talk about Gordon Smith I think there have been few more beloved players in the Scottish game. Like Sauzee, he became pretty reclusive after his career ended but his contribution to Hibs as a player was immense.

Agree wholeheartedly once again GBY ( this is becoming a habit :greengrin )

Growing up as a young boy in the sixties I would ask family members HIBS and Hearts fans who the best player they ever saw was and almost without thinking the response was always Gordon Smith

He must have been some player

I hope one day that Le God will return to Easter Road but would appear to be unlikely

green with envy
15-05-2019, 08:55 AM

If I had the time this morning to write up a post on Sauzee, this would have been it.:thumbsup:

Stevie Reid
15-05-2019, 09:00 AM
In terms of the best players I've ever seen play for Hibs, McGinn isn't top three - Sauzee is number one.

In terms of favourite ever Hibs players, he's right up there with the likes of Hanlon, McGregor, Gray, Stevenson - well, pretty much the entire Scottish Cup winning team.

Be interesting to see how far he goes in the game.

oldbutdim
15-05-2019, 09:08 AM
From what I gather RP was the only board member who voted against sacking him as manager. At the time he was the managing director (I think Ken Lewandoski was chairman).

However, after being sacked as manager, Franck still had a season and a half left on his playing contract (at £6k per week). This is what he eventually fell out with the club over.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/11954568.sauzee-still-on-the-hibs-payroll/

It was big Malky MacPherson who was chairman at the time and who ultimately took the decision.

The wrangling over a compensation deal probably didn't put either party, Hibs or Le God in a particularly good light.

Gmack7
15-05-2019, 09:31 AM
It was big Malky MacPherson who was chairman at the time and who ultimately took the decision.

The wrangling over a compensation deal probably didn't put either party, Hibs or Le God in a particularly good light.
Yes it was Macpherson, he once said to me in the Roseburn bar that Sauzee had totally lost the dressing room and had to be sacked.

supermcginn
15-05-2019, 09:33 AM

I love mcginn but he couldn't lace sauzee's boots I'm afraid. Or latapys for that matter.

Smartie
15-05-2019, 09:50 AM
Yes it was Macpherson, he once said to me in the Roseburn bar that Sauzee had totally lost the dressing room and had to be sacked.

He struggled badly to make the translation from being "one of the lads" to "the gaffer" and he had big problems with the players.

Sad as it is, the decision made was the correct one.

oldbutdim
15-05-2019, 10:25 AM
He struggled badly to make the translation from being "one of the lads" to "the gaffer" and he had big problems with the players.

Sad as it is, the decision made was the correct one.

I agree.

The wrong decision was the 'popular vote' to appoint him in the first place. It was seen as being the 'cheap option' but in fact it wasn't - but it was more pandering to us, the support who worshipped the guy.

Legendary player, leg end of a manager.

Stevie Reid
15-05-2019, 11:39 AM
I agree.

The wrong decision was the 'popular vote' to appoint him in the first place. It was seen as being the 'cheap option' but in fact it wasn't - but it was more pandering to us, the support who worshipped the guy.

Legendary player, leg end of a manager.

Ted Brack states it perfectly in his book about Sauzee, that when he became manager - and immediately retired from playing - we lost our best attacker and defender in an instant.

I read Brack's book in 2012, and even though I lived and breathed it all - and witnessed the majority of all games that Sauzee was involved in - it was still quite difficult to get my head round how Franck ended up not only playing for us, but absolutely loving the club to the extent that he did.

It was enough to make you greet the way it ended. If only we had appointed someone else and he had just fulfilled that playing contract.

Deansy
15-05-2019, 11:59 AM
It would sicken me him being as effective for celtic as he has been for us and villa.they had a ready made replacement for brown right under there nose!and refused to cough up.now they will pay millions in the summer trying to find a player as effective as SJM.im a villa hibby as long as he is there.the fact they adopted our song for him is amazing as well.

If McGinn had went to Septic then he would've ended-up the same as Brown - a slightly improved player than he was with us, a lot better-off financially but at the end of the day - 'A big fish in a small pond' l !. Moving to Aston Villa has made a hell of a lot more people aware of the special talent McGinn is than he would've if he'd stayed here !

Gmack7
15-05-2019, 12:34 PM
If McGinn had went to Septic then he would've ended-up the same as Brown - a slightly improved player than he was with us, a lot better-off financially but at the end of the day - 'A big fish in a small pond' l !. Moving to Aston Villa has made a hell of a lot more people aware of the special talent McGinn is than he would've if he'd stayed here !

And ultimately a lot more ££s for us👍

Alex Trager
15-05-2019, 12:52 PM

I’m not so sure about that.
I can see him being a Klopp style of player and we know how LPool are getting on these days in the CL.

Stranger things have happened.

Pete
15-05-2019, 12:57 PM
And ultimately a lot more ££s for us👍

I hate asking again but does anyone have any proof of this or is it just a FACT?

I’ve heard we’ve made another type of arrangement that means everything has been done and dusted.

HoboHarry
15-05-2019, 01:06 PM

I doubt if there is a single poster on .net that would have predicted Andy Robertson would play in two successive CL finals for Liverpool and in general terms, the level he is maintaining.

basehibby
15-05-2019, 02:37 PM
Agree wholeheartedly once again GBY ( this is becoming a habit :greengrin )

Growing up as a young boy in the sixties I would ask family members HIBS and Hearts fans who the best player they ever saw was and almost without thinking the response was always Gordon Smith

He must have been some player

I hope one day that Le God will return to Easter Road but would appear to be unlikely

I've been chatting with an auld gadge in my local who's in his 80s and who was a professional footballer in the 1950s when he played with East Fife. This was the peak of his career and East Fife were an established Div1 side at the time I believe.
Anyway - I inevitably asked him a load of questions - which grounds he'd played at (all the big ones) which teams he'd played against (again any worth mentioning) - and when I asked him who the best he'd played against was, like your family there was no hesitation - Gordon Smith was without question the best player he'd ever been on the same pitch with and by some distance. Even in his 80s I could still pick up a sense of awe in John's voice at just how good Smith was - and this in an age when Scottish football was well thought of throughout the world.

Smith must have been some player and it's a wonder that he only ever picked up a couple of dozen caps if that.

bringbackbenny
15-05-2019, 03:16 PM
My dad, now 89, was fortunate to have seen Gordon's debut for Hibs, Vs Hearts!. Over the years he's seen football legends for many clubs but is still adamant Gordon Smith was the best.

His record of winning league titles with 3 different clubs outside the Old Firm will never be equalled.

I've been chatting with an auld gadge in my local who's in his 80s and who was a professional footballer in the 1950s when he played with East Fife. This was the peak of his career and East Fife were an established Div1 side at the time I believe.
Anyway - I inevitably asked him a load of questions - which grounds he'd played at (all the big ones) which teams he'd played against (again any worth mentioning) - and when I asked him who the best he'd played against was, like your family there was no hesitation - Gordon Smith was without question the best player he'd ever been on the same pitch with and by some distance. Even in his 80s I could still pick up a sense of awe in John's voice at just how good Smith was - and this in an age when Scottish football was well thought of throughout the world.

Smith must have been some player and it's a wonder that he only ever picked up a couple of dozen caps if that.

PatHead
15-05-2019, 03:25 PM
I hate asking again but does anyone have any proof of this or is it just a FACT?

I’ve heard we’ve made another type of arrangement that means everything has been done and dusted.

We definitely have an arrangement, can't provide you with proof other than to say I have been told by a very good source within the club who really excited about the extra cash. There is also a percentage of any transfer fee which is unaffected by this deal and other smaller add ons.

Obviously can't give their name.

Springbank
15-05-2019, 03:29 PM
We definitely have an arrangement, can't provide you with proof other than to say I have been told by a very good source within the club who really excited about the extra cash. There is also a percentage of any transfer fee which is unaffected by this deal and other smaller add ons.

Obviously can't give their name.

Think Steve Bruce gave an interview alluding to the fact he got McGinn at a relative snip last summer (sub£3m) but only because the strings attached to the deal in terms of add-ons were the most eye-watering he had ever seen in a transfer deal, in all his years.

Sounded to me like good negotiating from the Hibs.

ACLeith
15-05-2019, 03:59 PM
My dad explained why he had far fewer caps than he should have - the GFA kept picking Willie Waddell of Rangers instead. Nothing new under the sun for the GFA 😳

His record speaks for itself. Championships won with 3 different teams outwith Glasgow, goals scored from the right wing. Probably the greatest Scottish player ever, never mind for us 👍

ancient hibee
15-05-2019, 04:09 PM
After watching the game last night I think McGinn’s best chance of playing in the Premiership is to get transferred.

hfc rd
15-05-2019, 04:35 PM
Hopefully Villa go up and we pocket a couple million (rumoured), then SJM has a good season in EPL and is sold for 20 odd million and we get a large slice. Wishful thinking but not unrealistic.

I’m sure that is what we all want. Certainly wishful but definitely not unrealistic to tell you the truth.

Ozyhibby
15-05-2019, 04:38 PM
After watching the game last night I think McGinn’s best chance of playing in the Premiership is to get transferred.

I definitely think his best chance is to win his next game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil MaGlass
15-05-2019, 04:54 PM
Cant see them beating leeds, but, it would be good for us.

ancient hibee
15-05-2019, 05:53 PM
I definitely think his best chance is to win his next game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you still playing for Semantics United ?:greengrin

ben johnson
15-05-2019, 06:05 PM
My dad explained why he had far fewer caps than he should have - the GFA kept picking Willie Waddell of Rangers instead. Nothing new under the sun for the GFA 😳

His record speaks for itself. Championships won with 3 different teams outwith Glasgow, goals scored from the right wing. Probably the greatest Scottish player ever, never mind for us 👍

Was looking up GS caps awarded after you posting and was a bit surprised to see he won 2 more caps than Waddel in the period he played for Scotland
It turns out the national team used the Home Internationals as WC qualifiers in this period and played very few games
Hearing from guys like your father Waddel should not have received a single cap when GS was available.

BILLYHIBS
15-05-2019, 06:07 PM
My dad, now 89, was fortunate to have seen Gordon's debut for Hibs, Vs Hearts!. Over the years he's seen football legends for many clubs but is still adamant Gordon Smith was the best.

His record of winning league titles with 3 different clubs outside the Old Firm will never be equalled.

636 appearances 303 goals excluding friendlies of which there were many

If you read his excellent biography Gordon Smith The Prince of Wingers HIBS were always turning down big money offers from clubs down south especially Matt Busby and Man Utd

His memory goes marching on

cabbageandribs1875
15-05-2019, 06:13 PM
Think Steve Bruce gave an interview alluding to the fact he got McGinn at a relative snip last summer (sub£3m) but only because the strings attached to the deal in terms of add-ons were the most eye-watering he had ever seen in a transfer deal, in all his years.

Sounded to me like good negotiating from the Hibs.

lets hope st.mirren are not part of it

ACLeith
15-05-2019, 06:13 PM
Was looking up GS caps awarded after you posting and was a bit surprised to see he won 2 more caps than Waddel in the period he played for Scotland
It turns out the national team used the Home Internationals as WC qualifiers in this period and played very few games
Hearing from guys like your father Waddel should not have received a single cap when GS was available.
A good story, not sure if true.....

Waddell laid on a good cross for Lawrie Reilly to score, boasted to him that it was as good as GS could do. Lawrie said "no, Gordon would make sure the lace was facing away from me!!"

Diclonius
15-05-2019, 06:39 PM
lets hope st.mirren are not part of it

I'm sure whatever happens with McGinn the St Mirren chairman will post on Twitter how he's owed loads of money from it.

Joe6-2
15-05-2019, 06:56 PM
636 appearances 303 goals excluding friendlies of which there were many

If you read his excellent biography Gordon Smith The Prince of Wingers HIBS were always turning down big money offers from clubs down south especially Matt Busby and Man Utd

His memory goes marching on

Oh the good auld days when you could keep players!

Billy Whizz
15-05-2019, 08:20 PM

We were getting crowds of 60,000 back then, I’m told...

BILLYHIBS
15-05-2019, 08:39 PM

HIBS released him because they thought he was finished he paid for the op himself and went on to win the League with Hearts and Dundee

Maybe we should start a thread on players we have released too early

Lago
15-05-2019, 09:03 PM

My father in law, a Gordie, who settled in Dalkeith having married a Scots girl, said the reason he supported Hibs rather than hearts was because of Gordon Smith, the greatest footballer he had ever seen.
I actually saw him playing for hearts against Ayr Utd at Somerset, remember he bit the bar with a shot from 20/25 yards.

ben johnson
15-05-2019, 10:57 PM
A good story, not sure if true.....

Waddell laid on a good cross for Lawrie Reilly to score, boasted to him that it was as good as GS could do. Lawrie said "no, Gordon would make sure the lace was facing away from me!!"

It’s all in Wikipedia. No need to be not sure

Open main menu
Wikipedia Search
Gordon Smith (footballer, born 1924)
Read in another language
Watch this page
Edit
Gordon Smith (25 May 1924 – 7 August 2004) was a Scottish football player. He is the only player to have won a Scottish league championship with three clubs: Hibernian, Heart of Midlothian, and Dundee. Smith also represented Scotland and the Scottish League XI.

During his playing career, Gordon Smith was capped 19 times by Scotland, scoring four goals. Smith was compared with his English contemporaries Stanley Matthews and Tom Finney,[1][5] but he did not appear to have a "big-match temperament".[1] Smith had to compete for selection with Rangers winger Willie Waddell, who was capped 17 times in the same period.[1][3] In addition to his appearances for the national team, Smith appeared 11 times for the Scottish League XI.[6]

Outside football

JimBHibees
16-05-2019, 06:28 AM
HIBS released him because they thought he was finished he paid for the op himself and went on to win the League with Hearts and Dundee

Maybe we should start a thread on players we have released too early

Whoever made that decision needed shooting. :greengrin

green with envy
16-05-2019, 08:39 AM
Cant see them beating leeds, but, it would be good for us.

OOPS!... :tee hee:

we are hibs
16-05-2019, 12:43 PM
I don't think mcginn is good enough for the big clubs yet. But if villa go up I would expect them to be fighting to be in the top 10 at least. If they don't go up a move to someone like Everton/Newcastle who's fans love hard working, honest players would be a good move for him.

Diclonius
16-05-2019, 12:47 PM
It’s all in Wikipedia. No need to be not sure

Open main menu
Wikipedia Search
Gordon Smith (footballer, born 1924)
Read in another language
Watch this page
Edit
Gordon Smith (25 May 1924 – 7 August 2004) was a Scottish football player. He is the only player to have won a Scottish league championship with three clubs: Hibernian, Heart of Midlothian, and Dundee. Smith also represented Scotland and the Scottish League XI.

During his playing career, Gordon Smith was capped 19 times by Scotland, scoring four goals. Smith was compared with his English contemporaries Stanley Matthews and Tom Finney,[1][5] but he did not appear to have a "big-match temperament".[1] Smith had to compete for selection with Rangers winger Willie Waddell, who was capped 17 times in the same period.[1][3] In addition to his appearances for the national team, Smith appeared 11 times for the Scottish League XI.[6]

Outside football

This was well before my time, but if today is anything to go by then I'm willing to bet that if Smith played for Rangers and Waddell played for us, Waddell wouldn't have won a single cap for Scotland and Smith would have about 50.

Speedy
16-05-2019, 12:55 PM
Remember there were Hibs fans who thought McGeough was the better player between him and McGinn. Shows how good a season he had. Personally Sauzee is still the best player I have seen play for Hibs. McGinn a close second though.

Can't speak for everyone but I always thought that while McGinn would go on to much bigger things, McGeouch was the more important player for us. McGeouch kept shape, calmness and allowed others to do their stuff.

Phil MaGlass
16-05-2019, 02:06 PM
OOPS!... :tee hee:

can see them beating Derby strange enough:greengrin

Dan Sarf
17-05-2019, 11:15 AM
Big game for us on Monday (finance-wise).

https://www.footballinsider247.com/pl-teams-are-sniffing-around-him-danny-mills-fears-sale-of-villa-ace-whos-surprised-me/

Tynie01011973
17-05-2019, 02:44 PM

https://www.footballinsider247.com/pl-teams-are-sniffing-around-him-danny-mills-fears-sale-of-villa-ace-whos-surprised-me/

It's on the English Bank Holiday Monday 27 May 👍

Aim Here
17-05-2019, 02:54 PM

Isn't it a win-win for us? Either Villa get promoted and we get a bonus for that, or Villa stay down and some EPL team throws more money at Villa than they can reasonably refuse for SJM and we get a sell-on bonus? Chances are, we're going to be ahead whatever happens.

Dan Sarf
17-05-2019, 02:59 PM
Isn't it a win-win for us? Either Villa get promoted and we get a bonus for that, or Villa stay down and some EPL team throws more money at Villa than they can reasonably refuse for SJM and we get a sell-on bonus? Chances are, we're going to be ahead whatever happens.

True. But I suspect the sell-on bonus will be bigger. (Just a guess, no inside knowledge.)

Auckland Hibs
17-05-2019, 06:41 PM
True. But I suspect the sell-on bonus will be bigger. (Just a guess, no inside knowledge.)

Do we get both?

Surely the win-win for us would be Villa to be promoted so we get our bonus and then they sell him and we get a cut of any transfer fee?

Dan Sarf
17-05-2019, 08:46 PM
Do we get both?

Surely the win-win for us would be Villa to be promoted so we get our bonus and then they sell him and we get a cut of any transfer fee?

Is that you, Rod? :greengrin

mjhibby
17-05-2019, 08:50 PM
[QUOTE=Diclonius;5788160]I'm sure whatever happens with McGinn the St Mirren chairman will post on Twitter how he's owed loads of money from it.[/QUOT

So why if they pocketed around £800,000(allegedly) from the initial transfer are they fighting to stave off a play off to avoid relegation. No confirmation by anybody except a random tweet when challenged at a supporters function. Something tells me they will get a nominal fee if we get more money for mcginn. Remember he was heading to the USA and no money for them at one stage. Only the tache knows the full details.

DetroitHibs
18-05-2019, 06:04 AM
I don’t think St Mirren will be owed anything if John moves on. I also think if he moves to a bigger club and we have a sell on fee attached, that if John was to then move on again we’d not be entitled or due anything.

hibbydad
18-05-2019, 06:22 AM
I think you are 100% correct Detroit

Eyrie
18-05-2019, 09:46 AM
I don’t think St Mirren will be owed anything if John moves on. I also think if he moves to a bigger club and we have a sell on fee attached, that if John was to then move on again we’d not be entitled or due anything.

There's no standard contract so it will all depend on the wording of the agreement we have with St Mirren. Their share could be limited to what we receive from Aston Villa, or it could include a cut of any further transfers which we're entitled to share in.

04Sauzee
18-05-2019, 10:01 AM
If it is worded as any future transfer fee then it will be any transfers involving McGinn

Tynie01011973
18-05-2019, 10:19 AM

Didn't we get money for Steven Fletchers transfers to both Burnley and Sunderland?

Billy Whizz
18-05-2019, 10:38 AM
Didn't we get money for Steven Fletchers transfers to both Burnley and Sunderland?

We did, and reading St Mirren forums, they think they are due 19% of what we get?
But really none of us know

theonlywayisup
18-05-2019, 05:39 PM

I think you are 100% wrong!

St Mirren will be due a percentage of any money we make from the sale of McGinn. Equally we'll be due a percentage of any money Aston Villa gain from a McGinn sale.

mjhibby
18-05-2019, 05:45 PM
If it's true we have a sizeable fee coming if villa are promoted then I'm sure Hecky will have a couple of targets in mind if they do go up. Even if at st mirren get more money for any future mcginn dealings we will benefit enormously. I'll bet Lennon is quietly fuming lawwell would match villas add-ons as he as ready made replacement for Broony. The biscuit tin mentality. Lol.