PDA

View Full Version : Media Evening News- Former Trialists

TelaStella
10-04-2019, 06:18 PM
Interesting article from today’s evening news looking back on a number of former trialists over the years. Have to say apart from a few of the more recent ones, like pennant and some from the Stubbs rebuilding days I can’t seem to recognise many. How many can the rest of yous remember?

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/how-many-of-these-22-hibs-trialists-from-the-last-20-years-do-you-remember-1-4905118

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LancsHibs
10-04-2019, 06:29 PM
Wow, lots of dodged bullets! Again apart from Pennant don’t remember any of them, none went on to make it after failing to win a contract at ER

Hiber-nation
10-04-2019, 06:42 PM
Can only recall a few of them. I remember folk raving about Hadda.

HoboHarry
10-04-2019, 06:43 PM
Don't recall many of them lol. Andy McLaren I thought would be a good signing but didn't happen of course.....

Sweet Left Peg
10-04-2019, 08:42 PM
As immortalised by the Gallagher brothers in "D'You Know What I Mean"....

Listen carefully for "Juha Riipa won't be for long"

Power
10-04-2019, 09:00 PM
McLaren upped his game against us that year (his trial at ER that summer was an ok performance).

Lots of flashback to Evening News articles about these names.

CMurdoch
10-04-2019, 09:01 PM
Berry Powel is the only one from that lot that I wish we had signed.
Had a good career in Holland.

Speedway
10-04-2019, 09:18 PM
I remembered 12/22. That was a good read.

As mentioned, lots of dodged bullets.

eastmainsmsh
10-04-2019, 09:19 PM
Did Stephane Adam trial under Duff Jim and play one game

JeMeSouviens
10-04-2019, 09:32 PM
Where’s Thorsten Schmugge?? Or his dog ...

Power
10-04-2019, 09:58 PM
Where’s Thorsten Schmugge?? Or his dog ...

Played a game... up at... Pittodrie didn’t he? In at the same time as Ray Wilkins if my memory is right. Mid 90s delights.

Diclonius
10-04-2019, 10:09 PM
Missed Tam McManus in 2007.

tamig
10-04-2019, 10:40 PM
I remember Adam Buxton playing in our first game post-relegation under Stubbsy at Vale of Leithen. Looked a decent player at right back but he was a few stone overweight.

The 90+2
10-04-2019, 10:50 PM
Don't recall many of them lol. Andy McLaren I thought would be a good signing but didn't happen of course.....

Didn’t mclaren play for us under Bobby against Sunderland? I’ve no idea why we didn’t give him a deal as he was class when he went to Killie I think. We had Morten Hydergaard in goal and he seemed decent but Danny Anderson got the shout?

Not checked article just like remembering stuff haha.

The 90+2
10-04-2019, 10:51 PM
Best trial though surely should be Russell?

Power
10-04-2019, 11:00 PM

Or Sauzée pulled off after 30mins just in case there was others at the game not affiliated wae’ us.

The 90+2
10-04-2019, 11:11 PM
Or Sauzée pulled off after 30mins just in case there was others at the game not affiliated wae’ us.

Was that Brockville? Shout though might be getting both mixed up.

mim
10-04-2019, 11:24 PM
Who could forget Mark Kerr??
I knew he'd been around, but didn't know he had played for Asteras Tripolis.

Smartie
10-04-2019, 11:24 PM

David Murphy.

A bit overweight and unfit but you could see he oozed quality.

He was snapped up very quickly after that.

The 90+2
11-04-2019, 01:10 AM
David Murphy.

A bit overweight and unfit but you could see he oozed quality.

He was snapped up very quickly after that.

Was he a trialist? Sure he played when Tam had a stormer against either Boro or Leeds as his first game in that whyte and McKay cup. I’ve no idea how I remember that but aye, Murph looked anything but a footballer 😂😂

Weir07
11-04-2019, 05:52 AM
Who could forget Mark Kerr??
I knew he'd been around, but didn't know he had played for Asteras Tripolis.

I have absolutely zero recollection of Mark Kerr playing as a trialist, always thought he looked good when playing against us though, especially with Falkirk in the Championship seasons, felt he would have been a good signing.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-04-2019, 07:01 AM

Was that not Boozy?

HFC93
11-04-2019, 08:40 AM
I genuinely thought we had signed Mark Kerr! Maybe confusing him with someone else.

‘Colourful character’ is a kind description of Pennant.

Souter96Mac
11-04-2019, 08:55 AM
Only heard of a couple. I suppose Sheridan did fairly well with CSKA Sofia, but sounds like the rest have been garbage. I've actually watched that Michael Richardson in a couple non league games round Newcastle, I always thought he was good for that level.

Peevemor
11-04-2019, 09:04 AM
Was that Brockville? Shout though might be getting both mixed up.

Sauzée was signed directly without a trial. His debut was at Brockville (along with Alex Marinkov) and IIRC he played the whole match.

It was either Latapy or Boozy who was hooked after 30 minutes of their trial.

The 90+2
11-04-2019, 09:06 AM
Sauzée was signed directly without a trial. His debut was at Brockville (along with Alex Marinkov) and IIRC he played the whole match.

Latapy Brechin.

MWHIBBIES
11-04-2019, 09:37 AM
Sheridan was a good player, he scored on his trial game at East Fife. Wouldn't have minded him signing.

Onceinawhile
11-04-2019, 10:43 AM
Didn’t mclaren play for us under Bobby against Sunderland? I’ve no idea why we didn’t give him a deal as he was class when he went to Killie I think. We had Morten Hydergaard in goal and he seemed decent but Danny Anderson got the shout?

Not checked article just like remembering stuff haha.

Definitely played against preston NE away when hydergaard was in goal.

eastmainsmsh
11-04-2019, 11:55 AM
Jim Thomson qos trialled under Mcleish as did Paulo Sergio ex yam boss

Diclonius
11-04-2019, 12:05 PM
I genuinely thought we had signed Mark Kerr! Maybe confusing him with someone else.

‘Colourful character’ is a kind description of Pennant.

Brian Kerr? I don't blame you for confusing him, Brian Kerr only did that one thing.

jgl07
11-04-2019, 01:14 PM
I recall Juha (Jack the) Rippa and Iron Testicles.

I think the latter was trialled/signed by Jum Duffy just before he was emptied. Alex McLeish sent him packing.

I seem to recall an Icelandic also signed by Duffy who came on as a half time substitute and scored but was rarely seen after that?

Smartie
11-04-2019, 01:17 PM
I recall Juha (Jack the) Rippa and Iron Testicles.

I think the latter was trialled/signed by Jum Duffy just before he was emptied. Alex McLeish sent him packing.

I seem to recall an Icelandic also signed by Duffy who came on as a half time substitute and scored but was rarely seen after that?

Bjarni Larusson?

I love an obscure Hibs player thread.

My mate supports West Ham and at one point I had his mobile number and he didn't have mine so when I sent him a text he didn't know who it was from. I spent months texting him nothing but the names of the most obscure West Ham players, the Alex Bunburys of this world, before he realised who was sending them.

jgl07
11-04-2019, 01:18 PM
Bjarni Larusson?

That's the one!

Just Jimmy
11-04-2019, 01:28 PM
22 in 20 years isn't that high when you consider that for a lot of that time we were a shambles. in addition to our budget.

bigger issue seems to be that we don't seem to trial players who actually go onto sign or help us.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

tamig
11-04-2019, 10:27 PM
22 in 20 years isn't that high when you consider that for a lot of that time we were a shambles. in addition to our budget.

bigger issue seems to be that we don't seem to trial players who actually go onto sign or help us.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
The article is only featuring 22. We will have had many more on trial - maybe into the hundreds - over the past 20 years.

berwickhibee
12-04-2019, 05:20 AM

Not checked article just like remembering stuff haha.not sure about sunderland game but he played as a trialist at preston away.

JimBHibees
12-04-2019, 05:25 AM

Was it not Uli Laursen that was hooked off after Eck thought he looked amazing and was petrified some other team was watching. May have been Boozy :greengrin

pacoluna
12-04-2019, 06:52 AM
Tom Glover now on loan at Helsingborg.

Rhys Murphy on trial from arsenal under fenlon.

Onceinawhile
12-04-2019, 08:38 AM
Romano Denneboom

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/romano-denneboom-waits-to-see-if-hibs-want-him-1-821488

Was ace on one of the championship managers.

BILLYHIBS
12-04-2019, 09:55 AM
Bjarni Larusson?

I love an obscure Hibs player thread.

My mate supports West Ham and at one point I had his mobile number and he didn't have mine so when I sent him a text he didn't know who it was from. I spent months texting him nothing but the names of the most obscure West Ham players, the Alex Bunburys of this world, before he realised who was sending them.

Was at Bjarni Larussons debut Killie away back in 1997/98

Lost 1-2

Came on as a sub scored a goal Kevin Harper was sent off

Looked a million dollars only played seven games and was packed off to Walsall

Not a bad day out got there early and got into Killies wee social club underneath the main stand

Pies were good

BILLYHIBS
12-04-2019, 12:19 PM
Back in 1969 Willie Macfarlane had just become HIBS Manager

Me and my mate went down to Easter Road to watch HIBS v Morton Reserves

We went to the players entrance to see if we could speak to any of the players

We spoke to a young guy standing on his own who informed us he was not a HIBS player but was on trial today from Stirling Albion

He gave us two Complimentary Tickets for the Centre Stand and asked us to meet him after the game and he would show us the Changing Rooms and let us run out the tunnel

His trial was a success

It was Erich Schaedler

Thanks Mister!

Diclonius
13-04-2019, 12:01 AM
Tom Glover now on loan at Helsingborg.

Rhys Murphy on trial from arsenal under fenlon.

I remember the rice puns, or at least the threat of them happening.

Billy McKirdy
13-04-2019, 12:54 AM
David Platt?
Ronnie Rosenthal?

bigwheel
13-04-2019, 03:00 AM
David Platt?
Ronnie Rosenthal?

Platt was never a trialist, we made an offer for him while he was at Crewe, but truth is we were never close to signing him - as by this time he had quite a cast of suitors down south....

Rosenthal was a trialist, but also already had designs on England rather than Scotland.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

proud_and_green
13-04-2019, 06:23 AM
Was it not Uli Laursen that was hooked off after Eck thought he looked amazing and was petrified some other team was watching. May have been Boozy :greengrinJings there's a wound opened up. I thought Laurson was a great player and was so disappointed when he left for that lot it was a raw wound for quite a while, clearly still is in fact.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk