PDA

View Full Version : Kane O'Connor

johncrobertson@
09-04-2019, 01:42 PM
Kane reportedly going on trial with Burnley and 2 other English clubs. Huge potential and would be a huge loss! Would we be due a development fee if he goes?

Brightside
09-04-2019, 01:51 PM
Everton tried to get him 2 years ago.

Billy Whizz
09-04-2019, 01:56 PM
Everton tried to get him 2 years ago.

Underscore, is Kane in the SFA performance school?

Brightside
09-04-2019, 02:02 PM
Underscore, is Kane in the SFA performance school?

Nope. Dont think he ever went that way tbh. He signed professional for Hibs 2017. Been at Hibs for a long time now. Im hoping this is his agents trying to force a decent contract for him at Hibs. Him and Ryan could end up as a top class pairing. Kane much more the Hanlon type of CH for me.

H18 SFR
09-04-2019, 02:05 PM
If he's good enough to sign for an EPL development side then hopefully we can convince him to stay here a couple of years.

Never had the pleasure of watching him play, is he full of potential?

JimBHibees
09-04-2019, 02:06 PM
Would be a sore one to lose him before he has even played for first team.

ED Hibee
09-04-2019, 02:13 PM
Huddersfield and Brentford are the other clubs reported to have an interest. Sad state of affairs if we lose one of our top prospects to one of these clubs.

HoboHarry
09-04-2019, 02:18 PM
Huddersfield and Brentford are the other clubs reported to have an interest. Sad state of affairs if we lose one of our top prospects to one of these clubs.
Huddersfield? Relegated or not they are currently an EPL team. Fantasy to think we can compete with them financially.

ED Hibee
09-04-2019, 02:24 PM
Agreed. Still would be sad to see it happen though. There is not exactly high success rate for players from Scotland that have made such moves and I always like to see players break through into first team before making such a move.

MWHIBBIES
09-04-2019, 02:59 PM
We would be due a transfer fee if he's under contract. Disappointed that we'd let him go on trial, he's our player.

Billy Whizz
09-04-2019, 02:59 PM
We would be due a transfer fee if he's under contract. Disappointed that we'd let him go on trial, he's our player.

It’s cross border, so not sure what we’d get

MWHIBBIES
09-04-2019, 03:04 PM
It’s cross border, so not sure what we’d get

If he's under contract it would be no different from McGinn. They'd have to pay a transfer fee, not a development one. If he's out of contract it would be development fee and a big mistake from Hibs.

Ozyhibby
09-04-2019, 03:05 PM
From the lads point of view, you have to wonder who is advising him? Is moving away from home the best thing for him before he has even broken through yet?
He could end up like Adam King. 23 year old and still not made the break through. Maybe having a few quid in the bank is compensation enough for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
09-04-2019, 03:05 PM
Agreed. Still would be sad to see it happen though. There is not exactly high success rate for players from Scotland that have made such moves and I always like to see players break through into first team before making such a move.

It's quite hard to talk players out of this kind of thing but he needs to ask himself what he's looking for in his career.

If he wants the smartest car possible before his 20th birthday then this is the move for him. If he's wanting to bed into a club, be introduced to first team football when ready and get a move when the time is right then he'd be sensible to stay put. There will be opportunities in our first team over the coming few years.

Earning a good few quid and getting punted out on loan all the time before being freed to attempt to salvage a career in your mid twenties might be the way he wants to go though.

Billy Whizz
09-04-2019, 03:21 PM
If he's under contract it would be no different from McGinn. They'd have to pay a transfer fee, not a development one. If he's out of contract it would be development fee and a big mistake from Hibs.

Says his contract ends in May 19? Anyone confirm this?

cabbageandribs1875
09-04-2019, 03:42 PM

Huddersfield and Brentford are also thought to be interested in the centre back, who’s contract runs out at the end of the season.

Edinburghlive

signed his first professional contract in jan 2017

i assume the heck is quite happy to let him go, or the player himself is wanting out.. £££

MWHIBBIES
09-04-2019, 03:45 PM

That's pretty disappointing if he's drawing that interest. Maybe Hibs don't want him, though.

JimBHibees
09-04-2019, 03:57 PM
That's pretty disappointing if he's drawing that interest. Maybe Hibs don't want him, though.

Assume probably encouraged to run down contract. As you say would be disappointing if he is able to leave for nothing which totally doesn't seem right.

HoboHarry
09-04-2019, 04:00 PM
Seems unlikely to me - if English EPL and Championship teams want him then I can't imagine why we would think he isn't good enough.....

Smartie
09-04-2019, 04:11 PM
Seems unlikely to me - if English EPL and Championship teams want him then I can't imagine why we would think he isn't good enough.....

We inhabit different financial stratospheres these days though.

We need to be careful, to spend our money wisely and probably only hang onto the youngsters who have the most realistic chances of reaching the first team/ having a sell-on value.

These clubs can afford to stockpile dozens of young players with potential and hoof them out on loan endlessly if they get restless, in the off-chance that they eventually stumble across someone that might be of worth to them

Not good for players, not good for many national sides but good for the richest clubs.

I can see sense in us not thinking a player is good enough for us only to find a significantly bigger and richer club still being prepared to take a punt.

Hibeesmad
09-04-2019, 04:15 PM
I haven't seen him play so don't know if he's worth keeping if a reasonable offer comes in but most clubs down south usually only go for young players from up here if they have something about them.

04Sauzee
09-04-2019, 04:23 PM
Talking about young guys did I hear Sparky say he reckons Sadiki could be the next one to break through!?

adhibs
09-04-2019, 05:07 PM
the article says were allowing him to go and play in a trial game for burnley. would assume that means were not interested in keeping him? or has he made it clear hes leaving?

Since452
09-04-2019, 05:14 PM
Think he's well down the order in the development side

Stuart93
09-04-2019, 05:15 PM
Talking about young guys did I hear Sparky say he reckons Sadiki could be the next one to break through!?

I’m not sure he’s actually that young in terms of development age, sure he’s only in the development squad because we couldn’t register him in time? That could be utter bollocks mind you

Billy Whizz
09-04-2019, 05:20 PM
I’m not sure he’s actually that young in terms of development age, sure he’s only in the development squad because we couldn’t register him in time? That could be utter bollocks mind you

He’s 21 in August

Hibernia&Alba
09-04-2019, 05:29 PM
How old is he now?

CapitalGreen
09-04-2019, 05:39 PM
How old is he now?

Just turned 18 in Jan.

HoboHarry
09-04-2019, 05:40 PM
Just turned 18 in Jan.
You and Billy need to talk......😁

LustForLeith
09-04-2019, 05:43 PM
Anyone seen O’Connor play? How good is he ?

GoalsMcGinley
09-04-2019, 05:52 PM
He’s 21 in August

He’s literally just turned 18 [emoji23]

Billy Whizz
09-04-2019, 05:54 PM

I was answering to the question of how old Sadiki was, he’s almost 21
As others have said, Kane turned 18 in January

bingo70
09-04-2019, 05:54 PM

Think he’s talking about Sadiki.

Billy Whizz
09-04-2019, 05:55 PM
Think he’s talking about Sadiki.

Cheers Bingo, it’s a fast changing thread😄

GoalsMcGinley
09-04-2019, 06:03 PM
Apologies

horseflesh
09-04-2019, 07:41 PM
It's quite hard to talk players out of this kind of thing but he needs to ask himself what he's looking for in his career.

If he wants the smartest car possible before his 20th birthday then this is the move for him. If he's wanting to bed into a club, be introduced to first team football when ready and get a move when the time is right then he'd be sensible to stay put. There will be opportunities in our first team over the coming few years.

Earning a good few quid and getting punted out on loan all the time before being freed to attempt to salvage a career in your mid twenties might be the way he wants to go though.
It’s actually not a bad strategy, sign a 3 year deal for a wad of cash. If it doesn’t work out then there will be plenty SPL teams willing to take a chance on him.
He may not make the breakthrough at Hibs either
Don’t blame the laddies for taking the money that’s on offer

eastcoasthibby
09-04-2019, 08:00 PM
Nope you cant blame them and from what I here the money that we pay these young guys is incredibly low and thats the ones that are showing real potential. I get it we cant get anywhere near the bigger English teams, but just wonder how we structure the pay and contracts for the up n coming young guys.

MacGruber
10-04-2019, 07:03 AM
Surely if this guy is being fought over by these English clubs and captaining Scotland at his age group we must also rate him very highly. What has happened here - have we not offered him a contract and been complacent thinking that because he hasnt featured in the top team nobody would come in for him so we could take our time? Or is it simply that we offered and he has turned it down?

My_Wife_Camille
10-04-2019, 08:18 AM
Surely if this guy is being fought over by these English clubs and captaining Scotland at his age group we must also rate him very highly. What has happened here - have we not offered him a contract and been complacent thinking that because he hasnt featured in the top team nobody would come in for him so we could take our time? Or is it simply that we offered and he has turned it down?
None of the above. He’s not been getting a game and he’s not going to get a game anytime soon so he’s looking for opportunities elsewhere

MacGruber
10-04-2019, 08:36 AM
None of the above. He’s not been getting a game and he’s not going to get a game anytime soon so he’s looking for opportunities elsewhere

It seems a bit strange he is rated at national level and captaining his country at his age group, on the radar of English Premiership teams but not seen as a top prospect by Hibs.

superfurryhibby
10-04-2019, 09:03 AM
Nope you cant blame them and from what I here the money that we pay these young guys is incredibly low and thats the ones that are showing real potential. I get it we cant get anywhere near the bigger English teams, but just wonder how we structure the pay and contracts for the up n coming young guys.

Given the number of development team prospects leaving for other clubs I would guess you don’t need to trouble yourself too much. Out of interest, what kind of wages are you hearing about?

My_Wife_Camille
10-04-2019, 09:04 AM
It seems a bit strange he is rated at national level and captaining his country at his age group, on the radar of English Premiership teams but not seen as a top prospect by Hibs.
Agreed

J-C
10-04-2019, 09:09 AM

This sounds more like personal issues as to why he's out in the cold. Do we know what type of laddie he is, I know May is quite a tough task master and the reason he gets results.

Smartie
10-04-2019, 09:09 AM
Is it a bad thing to pay youngsters low wages, to keep them grafting to reach the bigger bucks?

Having someone think they've made it because they're a millionaire without having played a first team game can be counter-productive.

It doesn't do a player any harm to appreciate the good times when they come - and to appreciate how quickly it could all be taken away.

bigwheel
10-04-2019, 09:13 AM
This sounds more like personal issues as to why he's out in the cold. Do we know what type of laddie he is, I know May is quite a tough task master and the reason he gets results.

does he get results? Have we seen any players come through to be first team regulars ? Porteous of course. can't think of any others...perhaps Murray would have if it hadn't been for injuries..

is that the strike rate we would expect after 5 years in role? Hope we have a batch coming through soon...

J-C
10-04-2019, 09:14 AM
Is it a bad thing to pay youngsters low wages, to keep them grafting to reach the bigger bucks?

Having someone think they've made it because they're a millionaire without having played a first team game can be counter-productive.

It doesn't do a player any harm to appreciate the good times when they come - and to appreciate how quickly it could all be taken away.

Not hampered Murray, Porteous and Shaw who have all been given extended deals on bigger wages now they are 1st team squad members.

My_Wife_Camille
10-04-2019, 09:14 AM
Don’t think this type of speculation is good JC and my post wasn’t intended to suggest anything of the sort.

The new management team just sees a different path for a few of the younger players than was maybe expected. Nothing more sinister than that

Brightside
10-04-2019, 09:17 AM

Kane well liked at Hibs and a hard working no nonsense boy. If he goes its a real shame as I think he will be a top player.

J-C
10-04-2019, 09:19 AM
does he get results? Have we seen any players come through to be first team regulars ? Porteous of course. can't think of any others...perhaps Murray would have if it hadn't been for injuries..

is that the strike rate we would expect after 5 years in role? Hope we have a batch coming through soon...

Shaw? Just how many do you think will come through to make it? Not many teams, even Celtic and Rangers have loads that make it, usually out of a group 3-4 will do well. How many from the McDonagh double winning team went on to have top careers.

J-C
10-04-2019, 09:20 AM
Don’t think this type of speculation is good JC and my post wasn’t intended to suggest anything of the sort.

The new management team just sees a different path for a few of the younger players than was maybe expected. Nothing more sinister than that

👍

I'd heard good things about him so I'm a bit surprised by all this.

bigwheel
10-04-2019, 09:23 AM
Shaw? Just how many do you think will come through to make it? Not many teams, even Celtic and Rangers have loads that make it, usually out of a group 3-4 will do well. How many from the McDonagh double winning team went on to have top careers.

yeah. I don't see shaw making it - hope I'm wrong..

id say one or two a season breaking through is what we would want..celtic and rangers are harder to break through...they have great record at players making it at other clubs though. I'd say the report card for our academy should read "better than it used to be, but not where we want it to be.."

eastcoasthibby
10-04-2019, 09:38 AM
Given the number of development team prospects leaving for other clubs I would guess you don’t need to trouble yourself too much. Out of interest, what kind of wages are you hearing about?

Low Hundreds per week ....!!!

superfurryhibby
10-04-2019, 10:31 AM
Low Hundreds per week ....!!!

It’s what I would have guessed. Not bad if you’re 16-17, not great if you’re 19-20. I would imagine these are comparable with most of our peers in Scotland and I doubt bigger wages would make any difference to players making the grade here.

Good luck to the laddie. If he’s not making it here then I’m not too bothered. If he’s another Porteous in the making then I wonder why he’s not been in the squad?

MikeyS
10-04-2019, 10:46 AM
yeah. I don't see shaw making it - hope I'm wrong..

id say one or two a season breaking through is what we would want..celtic and rangers are harder to break through...they have great record at players making it at other clubs though. I'd say the report card for our academy should read "better than it used to be, but not where we want it to be.."

I agree with you on Shaw, cant see him making it here and also feel we should be seeing more coming through our own ranks.

Celtic have had quite a number through in recent years too, can think of Ralston, Johnston and Henderson this year and Tierney, Ajer?, McGregor & Forrest if you go back the same time period Eddie May has overseen our academy.

Realise that Celtic have better resources and also the luxury of having better players around these youngsters when the do chuck them in but still shows a very good success rate.

Ozyhibby
10-04-2019, 11:46 AM
I agree with you on Shaw, cant see him making it here and also feel we should be seeing more coming through our own ranks.

Celtic have had quite a number through in recent years too, can think of Ralston, Johnston and Henderson this year and Tierney, Ajer?, McGregor & Forrest if you go back the same time period Eddie May has overseen our academy.

Realise that Celtic have better resources and also the luxury of having better players around these youngsters when the do chuck them in but still shows a very good success rate.

Celtic’s academy produces lots of players, just not all for Celtic. But it is a very successful academy.

MWHIBBIES
10-04-2019, 12:16 PM

Why wont Shaw make it but Ralston is used as an example. Shaw has more goals than Ralston has appearances this season.

Shaw is already making it, really good 3rd striker. 6 league goals this season.

Ozyhibby
10-04-2019, 12:30 PM
Shaw is doing really well but needs to force his way into the team next season. Has a great goal scoring record at first team level.

Haymaker
10-04-2019, 12:53 PM

A friend of mine works for a large EPL academy. He told me they are considered successful if a couple players get squad numbers per year.

Granted, we're talking top, top level but still, if that's their level of success I wouldn't be surprised if 1/2 getting a few first team games a year is considered reasonable success.

matty_f
10-04-2019, 01:01 PM
A friend of mine works for a large EPL academy. He told me they are considered successful if a couple players get squad numbers per year.

Granted, we're talking top, top level but still, if that's their level of success I wouldn't be surprised if 1/2 getting a few first team games a year is considered reasonable success.

At our level, it would have to be considered a success - when managers are relying on players to keep them in a job, then they'll try and get good, proven players in as much as possible, so for a youth player to make it into the first team and feature regularly that has to be considered a success.

bigwheel
10-04-2019, 01:22 PM

That’s interesting...useful context...[emoji106]

Let’s hope we have a strong crop emerging..

J-C
10-04-2019, 01:37 PM
Young Mackie has made his breakthrough this season and most on here were positive in his performances.

JimBHibees
10-04-2019, 02:30 PM
Young Mackie has made his breakthrough this season and most on here were positive in his performances.

Certainly didnt look out of place and his cross for the equaliser at Ibrox was a joy.

bigwheel
10-04-2019, 03:41 PM
Certainly didnt look out of place and his cross for the equaliser at Ibrox was a joy.

Great left peg...thats without doubt..

had a stinker at Parkhead - but hopefully that will be a big learning moment - all players have them - at any age.

Still got to show he is a top defender - not seen that in him yet.

ancient hibee
10-04-2019, 03:48 PM

Who at Hibs has said he’s not seen as a top prospect?

Ringothedog
10-04-2019, 05:11 PM

Nobody

tamig
10-04-2019, 10:51 PM

He’s a decent lad. Played with my boy in his school team. A great goalscoring attacking midfielder. I was a bit surprised to see he’d been converted to a centre half. His temperament wasn’t always the best at the school games though which is the one thing I thought would maybe stop him making it. Hopefully that’s been knocked out of him now.

Haymaker
11-04-2019, 01:14 AM
He’s a decent lad. Played with my boy in his school team. A great goalscoring attacking midfielder. I was a bit surprised to see he’d been converted to a centre half. His temperament wasn’t always the best at the school games though which is the one thing I thought would maybe stop him making it. Hopefully that’s been knocked out of him now.

You'd be surprised at how many CHs were forwards, midfielders at youth level

TheCabbage
11-04-2019, 06:03 AM

Our current number 4 being a prime example

TheCabbage
11-04-2019, 06:10 AM

Our current number 4 being a prime example

GoalsMcGinley
11-04-2019, 07:54 AM
Burnley deal looking like it’s pretty much done

MacGruber
11-04-2019, 08:15 AM

What I was asking is why if we seen him as a top prospect is he on the verge of being out of contract. Did we get caught short in not tying one of out top youngters to the club or did we offer a longer contract and he turned it down. I just find it strange he is national captain for his age, being chased by EPL teams and so rated there but about out of contract here and not getting a game (as someone else said) with our development team.
I'd seen the name pop up a few times on here and was looking forward to him making the breakthrough in a couple of years. Now looks like he will be gone and the club not getting any cash - or just a nominal tribunal fee. He might not go on to make it in the game but if he turns out to be a multi million pound EPL player surely someone dropped the ball at Hibs unless it was the boy himself that turned down signing a longer deal.

AugustaHibs
11-04-2019, 08:36 AM
Has fallen out with eddie may

Coco Bryce
11-04-2019, 08:59 AM
Has fallen out with eddie may

Not surprised to be honest. A lot of our young players seem to fall out with May.

Is he some sort of tyrant with he laddies?

J-C
11-04-2019, 09:47 AM
Not surprised to be honest. A lot of our young players seem to fall out with May.

Is he some sort of tyrant with he laddies?

Led to believe he's a hard taskmaster, demands a lot from them, never done Porteous, Murray and Shaw any harm, they've all worked hard to get where they are. Pro football takes no prisoners and to make it you have to do the extras like gym work and being more professional, some can't hack it.

GoalsMcGinley
11-04-2019, 04:02 PM
Has absolutely nothing to do with him not putting the extra work in. In fact he’s one of the hardest working lads down there. His issue is with what he perceives as Hibs stifling his progression by not getting as many development games as he believes he deserves. Can’t fault him for that. He believes he should be playing week in week out and other clubs are prepared to give him that platform. I’ve a strong feeling this is one we might end up regretting losing.

J-C
11-04-2019, 07:20 PM
Has absolutely nothing to do with him not putting the extra work in. In fact he’s one of the hardest working lads down there. His issue is with what he perceives as Hibs stifling his progression by not getting as many development games as he believes he deserves. Can’t fault him for that. He believes he should be playing week in week out and other clubs are prepared to give him that platform. I’ve a strong feeling this is one we might end up regretting losing.

Is he as good if not better than the other CH's? if he's the same or not better he cannot demand to play every week. Is he a stand out when he plays?

GoalsMcGinley
11-04-2019, 07:29 PM
Is he as good if not better than the other CH's? if he's the same or not better he cannot demand to play every week. Is he a stand out when he plays?

In my opinion he is streets ahead of Kevin Waugh, yes.

J-C
12-04-2019, 10:11 AM
In my opinion he is streets ahead of Kevin Waugh, yes.

I've heard the same so a bit surprised hes not playing more.

Sean1875
12-04-2019, 11:09 AM

Im sure Rob Jones used to be a striker :agree:

Coco Bryce
12-04-2019, 12:31 PM
I've heard the same so a bit surprised hes not playing more.

It's clearly because Eddie May has had a run in with him.

Kano is a very good player, been with Hibs a very long time. Sadly it looks like someone will benefit from this.

blackpoolhibs
12-04-2019, 02:27 PM
It's clearly because Eddie May has had a run in with him.

Kano is a very good player, been with Hibs a very long time. Sadly it looks like someone will benefit from this.

Do you know what the run in was about, and who is to blame?

Tarrahib
12-04-2019, 03:20 PM
Do you know what the run in was about, and who is to blame?
Maybe heck will have his own man in charge of the reserve/development team next season!!

GoalsMcGinley
12-04-2019, 03:54 PM
Maybe heck will have his own man in charge of the reserve/development team next season!!

There isn’t one next season. Scrapping it. Friendlies only as of August.

Tarrahib
12-04-2019, 03:57 PM

Maybe Heck will have his own man in charge of the Friendly team next year!!

Ozyhibby
12-04-2019, 04:12 PM

I hadn’t heard about that? Is the league being scrapped or are we pulling out?

04Sauzee
12-04-2019, 04:21 PM

Wasn't aware of that. Seems strange all this project brave stuff just to play friendlies?

Phil MaGlass
12-04-2019, 04:55 PM
If its true that he has problems with May and I was Hibs manager I would be asking May wtf is going on that we have lost one of our prospects for nothing? We cant afford to be losing players for nowt.

Jones28
12-04-2019, 05:06 PM

That's absolutely ridiculous, in what way will having youngsters playing for nothing do the game in Scotland any good?

GoalsMcGinley
12-04-2019, 05:08 PM
That's absolutely ridiculous, in what way will having youngsters playing for nothing do the game in Scotland any good?

I agree but I’m only passing on the info I received from someone within the club as to what was happening.

tamig
12-04-2019, 05:19 PM

That’s not how the club is structured though.

tamig
12-04-2019, 05:23 PM
I agree but I’m only passing on the info I received from someone within the club as to what was happening.

Who in the club is passing this on? There was a huge clamour to bring reserve team football back. I’ve seen nothing indicate reserves will be scrapped from next season. I’d suggest your info is questionable.

B.H.F.C
12-04-2019, 05:26 PM
Maybe Heck will have his own man in charge of the Friendly team next year!!

No chance of that. Not his decision to make.

hfc rd
12-04-2019, 05:35 PM
Shaw is doing really well but needs to force his way into the team next season. Has a great goal scoring record at first team level.

The problem with Shaw is that he isn’t consistent enough at this level compared to someone like a Ryan Porteous who had really stamped his place in the starting XI before his injury.

Shaw needs to step up and remain consistent to stay there otherwise he’ll be moved on.

Eyrie
12-04-2019, 05:43 PM
That’s not how the club is structured though.

Nor should it be.

It won't help develop our next generation if a new coach is appointed every time we change manager.

B.H.F.C
12-04-2019, 05:57 PM
The problem with Shaw is that he isn’t consistent enough at this level compared to someone like a Ryan Porteous who had really stamped his place in the starting XI before his injury.

Shaw needs to step up and remain consistent to stay there otherwise he’ll be moved on.

Game time is Shaw’s biggest problem.

Hopefully we can keep McNulty, if we don’t we will sign someone else. With Kamberi still there, Shaw is still likely to be third choice. At 21, he needs to be playing regular if he wants to progress.

superfurryhibby
12-04-2019, 06:06 PM
Nor should it be.

It won't help develop our next generation if a new coach is appointed every time we change manager.

Absolutely right.

Eddie May does seem to be a bit of a divisive figure, but his teams perform to a high standard and whilst it’s not generating a conveyor belt of talent into the first team, they are a decent team at the level they play at. Getting players into the first team squad is a big achievement and we’ve had Shaw, Mackie and Porteous in the first team squad most of the season ( fitness permitting).

Once players make it the main squad, surely it’s up to the coaches there to take the raw materials and mould them into first team regulars?

hfc rd
12-04-2019, 06:13 PM
Game time is Shaw’s biggest problem.

Hopefully we can keep McNulty, if we don’t we will sign someone else. With Kamberi still there, Shaw is still likely to be third choice. At 21, he needs to be playing regular if he wants to progress.

The only way he’s going to get game time is playing consistently well when called upon. We’ve seen it in flashes but not enough to make you think he’s got a really bright future here and will be on a number of clubs’ radar in a couple of years time. Needs to start grabbing games by the scruff of the neck and showing his true potential. He’s very good at youth level but we’ve had plenty youngsters like that in the past that were unplayable at youth level but when it came to the first team, they couldn’t cut it.

Yes I agree that at 21 years old he needs to definitely start playing regularly if he wants to progress further.

tamig
12-04-2019, 06:22 PM
Nor should it be.

I agree. I was just pointing out we have a structure in place and a new manager/head coach won’t be allowed to wreck that.

MWHIBBIES
13-04-2019, 09:55 AM

Winning 5/6-0 this season probably doesn't do alot either.

hfc rd
11-05-2019, 01:04 PM
Signed for Brentford. Good move for him and all the very best of luck to him.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
11-05-2019, 01:44 PM
Signed for Brentford. Good move for him and all the very best of luck to him.

While i dont wish him badly, equally I dont really care what happens to him now. If he's chosen to leave Hibs, he's an irrelevance.

Coco Bryce
11-05-2019, 01:49 PM
While i dont wish him badly, equally I dont really care what happens to him now. If he's chosen to leave Hibs, he's an irrelevance.

Easy. He was told he had no future at Hibs.

He's a very good player, has been all through the years at Hibs. Another case of if Eddie May doesn't fancy you that's you.

green day
11-05-2019, 01:52 PM

He's a very good player, has been all through the years at Hibs. Another case of if Eddie May doesn't fancy you that's you.

Which were the others?

Eyrie
11-05-2019, 03:44 PM

Making that decision is part of May's job. He only deserves criticism for it if the players he releases go on to do well at a similar level to us or higher.

tamig
11-05-2019, 03:53 PM

There are other players who play in the same position who are viewed as better prospects. We can’t keep them all. Simple as that.

McD
11-05-2019, 04:24 PM
Making that decision is part of May's job. He only deserves criticism for it if the players he releases go on to do well at a similar level to us or higher.

:agree:

And we’d be quick to criticise EM if he didn’t let players go and we were ‘wasting wages on laddies who’ll never be good enough for Hibs’, which would be the kind of comment people would make (not aiming this at anyone in particular).

My_Wife_Camille
11-05-2019, 08:44 PM
It’s Heckingbottom that didn’t fancy him, not May. There’s a few more in the same boat too but as they didn’t go on trial with a Premier League club it didn’t make the news.

J-C
11-05-2019, 09:14 PM
It’s Heckingbottom that didn’t fancy him, not May. There’s a few more in the same boat too but as they didn’t go on trial with a Premier League club it didn’t make the news.

Did they refuse to go on trial?

w pilton hibby
17-05-2019, 09:41 AM
Signing for Brentford it seems

https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-hibernian-ace-makes-up-mind-after-talks-with-burnley-huddersfield-brentford/

Brightside
17-05-2019, 01:56 PM
Real shame. The boy has great potential.

Souter96Mac
17-05-2019, 02:00 PM
Hopefully we're entitled to a decent fee

007 Mickey Weir
17-05-2019, 02:14 PM

Did we offer him a deal though?

04Sauzee
17-05-2019, 02:23 PM

Pretty surenl Cross border transfers aren't worth as much than if he was moving to another Scottish club

erin go bragh
17-05-2019, 02:29 PM
Pretty surenl Cross border transfers aren't worth as much than if he was moving to another Scottish club

Or nowt . Did we not get Clayton Donaldson for hee haw . On the cross border rule .

GoalsMcGinley
17-05-2019, 05:27 PM

Simply not true. Eddie May just doesn’t like the laddie. Simple as that. It’s not even football related. Kano just doesn’t put up with Eddie’s bully boy approach.

bigwheel
17-05-2019, 05:51 PM
Simply not true. Eddie May just doesn’t like the laddie. Simple as that. It’s not even football related. Kano just doesn’t put up with Eddie’s bully boy approach.

That’s a sad story if true ...

GoalsMcGinley
17-05-2019, 05:56 PM
That’s a sad story if true ...

Oh believe me it’s true. You’d be shocked to hear some of the stories. On a side note, Eddie May recommenced the release of our entire under 20 squad bar 2 players. The rest were offered amateur contracts. Most of them are 18/19 years old. Scandalous!

bigwheel
17-05-2019, 05:59 PM
Oh believe me it’s true. You’d be shocked to hear some of the stories. On a side note, Eddie May recommenced the release of our entire under 20 squad bar 2 players. The rest were offered amateur contracts. Most of them are 18/19 years old. Scandalous!

wonder if the club will equally be brave enough to reflect on Eddie May’s role ....as he has chosen those boys for our development journey ...and now rejects all but two

And amateur contracts is just disrespectful...we either want them or we don’t. Very poor that

Since452
17-05-2019, 06:04 PM

If you're not good enough you're not good enough. I'm glad there's someone in charge that's ruthless if standards aren't met.

RIP
17-05-2019, 06:04 PM
Am I the only one doubting the investment return from the Academy.

Established twelve years ago to produce a conveyor belt of talent into the first team squad.

I’d be looking for at least one if not two or more breaking into the first eleven each season.

How many fit that description since 2007?

lord bunberry
17-05-2019, 06:07 PM
Am I the only one doubting the investment return from the Academy.

Established twelve years ago to produce a conveyor belt of talent into the first team squad.

I’d be looking for at least one if not two or more breaking into the first eleven each season.

How many fit that description since 2007?
I think since the new regime came in they’ve tried to identify a lot of the flaws in our youth system. I would hope we’d start to produce a few more players than we have.

bigwheel
17-05-2019, 06:35 PM
If you're not good enough you're not good enough. I'm glad there's someone in charge that's ruthless if standards aren't met.

You’re making the assumption that the player development environment is the most effective and that the leadership approach is quality ...what if it isn’t ?

SquashedFrogg
17-05-2019, 06:47 PM

But you still felt the need to post anyway 😂

superfurryhibby
17-05-2019, 06:57 PM
You’re making the assumption that the player development environment is the most effective and that the leadership approach is quality ...what if it isn’t ?

How many players have slipped through the net and made a big impact after being released by Hibs in recent years?

Good luck to the laddie, but for me it’s a bit so what.

Tell us more about what the club can do to improve leadership and development for the young team?

bigwheel
17-05-2019, 07:00 PM
How many players have slipped through the net and made a big impact after being released by Hibs in recent years?

Good luck to the laddie, but for me it’s a bit so what.

Tell us more about what the club can do to improve leadership and development for the young team?

One Scored the winner against us last weekend.

Tbh. It’s not my field of expertise..but there is an assumption that Eddie May is doing a great job by some. yet, from others I’ve heard examples that question that .

My view is that he moved it on from what he picked up ..but perhaps it’s time for someone else to do the same ??

tamig
17-05-2019, 07:07 PM
Real shame. The boy has great potential.

Not as much as others on the books.

superfurryhibby
17-05-2019, 07:11 PM
One Scored the winner against us last weekend.

Tbh. It’s not my field of expertise..but there is an assumption that Eddie May is doing a great job by some. yet, from others I’ve heard examples that question that .

My view is that he moved it on from what he picked up ..but perhaps it’s time for someone else to do the same ??

Aye, but he and McNulty are maybe the exceptions that proves the rule, or something.

It must be a hard job dealing with youngsters and knowing that for most of the laddies, it’s not going to lead to a career at Hibs. There will be lots of disappointed families and May, and I guess anyone else doing the job, will always get it tight. Charm doesn’t hurt, but it’s not an essential quality for success.

The often posed questions are around whether our development set up produces enough talent compared to similar set ups. Hard to say for me, but I’m genuinely interested in the answer to that.

Another question which has never been answered for me is around the role of the senior coaching team in progressing development once the potential is identified. If your youth team are consistently better than the competition they play against, what else can their coach do?

My_Wife_Camille
17-05-2019, 08:15 PM

I’m not doubting you’ve been told a different version of ‘the truth’ so I’ll respect your understanding of the situation without declaring that it’s ‘not true’.

Let’s just say I’ll trust the person that told me and you can trust the person that told you.

The Modfather
18-05-2019, 07:41 AM
Aye, but he and McNulty are maybe the exceptions that proves the rule, or something.

It must be a hard job dealing with youngsters and knowing that for most of the laddies, it’s not going to lead to a career at Hibs. There will be lots of disappointed families and May, and I guess anyone else doing the job, will always get it tight. Charm doesn’t hurt, but it’s not an essential quality for success.

The often posed questions are around whether our development set up produces enough talent compared to similar set ups. Hard to say for me, but I’m genuinely interested in the answer to that.

Another question which has never been answered for me is around the role of the senior coaching team in progressing development once the potential is identified. If your youth team are consistently better than the competition they play against, what else can their coach do?

Is there not a school of thought that success at youth level doesn’t always translate to players making the step up. The logic being that the players who will make it have already moved up to the senior squad. The golden generation being an example of that, our youth teams struggled but we brought through the best and most youngsters in that period.

southsider
18-05-2019, 08:42 AM
In terms of wages he got a great deal. Earns more in a week down south than he did in a month at Hibs.

JimBHibees
18-05-2019, 08:48 AM
Not as much as others on the books.

Such as?

Disappointing we appear to be getting nothing for O'Connor but these things happen. Youth development isn't an exact science but need to be ruthless though also get more decisions right than wrong, time will tell. Eddie appeared to do a good job at Falkirk no reason he can't do it here.

J-C
18-05-2019, 09:11 AM
We have had a good few successful youth/dev teams in the past but only a rare few make it to top or a decent level. The majority if the better ones need put out on loan to learn, tougher up and see what they have. There's a good few over the years who have vanished, Stanton, Harris,Handling etc dedication and a strong personality is needed to get to a good level, only a few have it.

blackpoolhibs
18-05-2019, 09:20 AM
We moaned when we had youth team coaches that were too soft, and produced players who were not hard enough for the professional game.

Now we have someone who's tough on them, and wants more out them and thats also wrong?

It's a cut throat business, and we all know a player who should have made it for one reason or another, but they didnt, and its 99% down to not being good enough.

Every team will release someone who's deemed not good enough, and one or two will then go on to do well, but we dont have a bad record i this.

And just because you know someone who's been released and think they should not be released, there's always more to it than that player is telling you, and there is a reason you are not the coach at Hibs, and others are.

JimBHibees
18-05-2019, 09:22 AM
We have had a good few successful youth/dev teams in the past but only a rare few make it to top or a decent level. The majority if the better ones need put out on loan to learn, tougher up and see what they have. There's a good few over the years who have vanished, Stanton, Harris,Handling etc dedication and a strong personality is needed to get to a good level, only a few have it.

I think the bottom line is that only a very few will make it the jump from development team to first team is enormous. I also think and may be wrong that the academy wasn't working as well as it might have been in terms of sports science and physical development a number of years ago and we are seeing that in the players you mentioned though saw Sam Stanton playing well for United last night.

JimBHibees
18-05-2019, 09:23 AM
We moaned when we had youth team coaches that were too soft, and produced players who were not hard enough for the professional game.

Now we have someone who's tough on them, and wants more out them and thats also wrong?

It's a cut throat business, and we all know a player who should have made it for one reason or another, but they didnt, and its 99% down to not being good enough.

Every team will release someone who's deemed not good enough, and one or two will then go on to do well, but we dont have a bad record i this.

And just because you know someone who's been released and think they should not be released, there's always more to it than that player is telling you, and there is a reason you are not the coach at Hibs, and others are.

Totally agree with this.

J-C
18-05-2019, 09:27 AM
I think the bottom line is that only a very few will make it the jump from development team to first team is enormous. I also think and may be wrong that the academy wasn't working as well as it might have been in terms of sports science and physical development a number of years ago and we are seeing that in the players you mentioned though saw Sam Stanton playing well for United last night.

I really liked Sam but he always looked like a wee laddie for his age, similar to Gauld, technically good but lacking that physicality, maybe a season in the championship has helped with that. Handling was the epitome of someone who thought he'd already made it, more interested in selfies with mates on nights out.

J-C
18-05-2019, 09:28 AM

👍

Brooster
18-05-2019, 09:31 AM
I wish him all the best but should we be too concerned about him leaving if he couldn't get in to our development team?