PDA

View Full Version : Shirt sponsor next season

Perd Hapley
08-04-2019, 02:47 PM
Unless I've missed something the contract with Marathon Bet is due to run out this summer (with them having signed a 2-year extension in the summer of 2017) - raising the question of what route the club goes down next with sponsorship.

Personally speaking as much as Marathon Bet have been decent sponsors with their involvement with the club I'd be delighted to see us move away from having a bookie plastered across the green and white. Money talks but as a model community club in many senses it doesn't sit well with me that we give prominent advertising to an organisation which by its very nature preys on the misery of vulnerable people - in my honest opinion it's one step away from having the likes of Wonga for a sponsor.

As I say money talks and at the end of the day unless a mysterious benefactor comes forth from the shadows we're not going to be able to replicate the charitable arrangement our neighbours across the city currently enjoy, but I for one would be delighted to see the club take even a soft stance against the explosion of sports betting and its impact on communities by refusing the bookies' pound this time around.

It won't stop me buying a top next season if we renew the deal with Marathon Bet - but if we have a reputable sponsor I hereby promise to buy the away top too :)

Interested to hear others' thoughts on the matter

H18 SFR
08-04-2019, 02:51 PM
Doesn't really bother me about having a betting site as the sponsor. The club don't put the logo on children sized shirts etc. That is a sensible approach. All the tournaments we've played in this year have betting sponsorship money one way or another so having it on the top makes no difference.

Diclonius
08-04-2019, 02:51 PM
Agree. No alcohol or gambling sponsor please.

Lago
08-04-2019, 02:57 PM
Unfortunately no one else wants to sponsor Scottish football clubs.

LancsHibs
08-04-2019, 03:06 PM
7UP please😁

Ryan91
08-04-2019, 03:07 PM
Wonder if Eden Mill might want to get in on more sponsorship?

Renfrew_Hibby
08-04-2019, 04:14 PM
As for kit design, I noticed that the first professional Canadian soccer league is being launched and that all the sides sport Macron kits much like the MLS has a deal with Adidas.
Lots of new Macron templates and all the kits are sporting the new logo.
I noticed it on footballshirtculture.com

bingo70
08-04-2019, 04:15 PM
As for kit design, I noticed that the first professional Canadian soccer league is being launched and that all the sides sport Macron kits much like the MLS has a deal with Adidas.
Lots of new Macron templates and all the kits are sporting the new logo.
I noticed it on footballshirtculture.com

Apologies for being too lazy to look but any teams play in green and white?

Hibernia&Alba
08-04-2019, 04:44 PM

Guinness with the big harp logo? Come on, we'd love it :agree:

Geo_1875
08-04-2019, 04:56 PM
There are few, if any, ethical industries that are willing to invest substantial amounts in sport. We either take the money from major sponsors or take the flak when we fall behind our rivals.

Aim Here
08-04-2019, 05:03 PM
There are few, if any, ethical industries that are willing to invest substantial amounts in sport. We either take the money from major sponsors or take the flak when we fall behind our rivals.

You do have to give credit to Hearts for laundering part of their anonymous donations via a 'Save the Children' shirt sponsorship!

I'm presuming whoever's behind it is wealthy to the tune of hundreds of millions from arms dealing or tobacco planting or property speculation or some other form of lucrative evil and has a guilty conscience to salve, but at least their sponsorship gives off a wholesome image, while it lasts...

Geo_1875
08-04-2019, 05:09 PM
You do have to give credit to Hearts for laundering part of their anonymous donations via a 'Save the Children' shirt sponsorship!

I'm presuming whoever's behind it is wealthy to the tune of hundreds of millions from arms dealing or tobacco planting or property speculation or some other form of lucrative evil and has a guilty conscience to salve, but at least their sponsorship gives off a wholesome image, while it lasts...

That's not traditional sponsorship. Save the Children are being paid to allow Hertz to use their logo. Whether the "fan" is giving as much to charity as "he" is giving to the club is unknown.

The Pointer
08-04-2019, 05:21 PM
I don't really have much of a conscience but I'm not a fan of betting company sponsorship as I don't bet (ok, Grand National) and consider it tantamount to money laundering.

Much as I think their beer is gash, I thought Carlsberg were a decent international brand to advertise and I think Liverpool were also sponsored by them at the time which I thought helped us get noticed.

ScottB
08-04-2019, 05:22 PM
Apologies for being too lazy to look but any teams play in green and white?

This one looks like a possible template for us...

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_l3VEiuaZCg/XKcgZSlBKoI/AAAAAAAB2pM/h1_65VAVs0oCjNDZSo8s0F4OIJ0dBZpGACLcBGAs/s738/14-macron-canadian-premier-league-2019-kits%2B%25285%2529.jpg

seanshow
08-04-2019, 05:45 PM

Hibernia&Alba
08-04-2019, 05:47 PM

:top marks

:hilarious

Lago
08-04-2019, 06:07 PM

I tell you what that is terrific !!!

GreenOnions
08-04-2019, 07:08 PM

Agree totally. Quite why it's not been banned like smoking ads is beyond me but we should take a lead here and avoid it at all times.

PS - I've never really been interested in gambling but I love a drink as much as the next person. I just think these products shouldn't be advertised in ways that can influence children.

tamig
08-04-2019, 08:28 PM
This one looks like a possible template for us...

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-_l3VEiuaZCg/XKcgZSlBKoI/AAAAAAAB2pM/h1_65VAVs0oCjNDZSo8s0F4OIJ0dBZpGACLcBGAs/s738/14-macron-canadian-premier-league-2019-kits%2B%25285%2529.jpg
We don’t get template kits from Macron.

SChibs
08-04-2019, 08:49 PM
Does advertising alcohol on a strip really make that much of a difference. I watched Hibs as an easily influenced teenager whilst we were sponsored by Whyte and Mackay and I've never drank it once. Imo teenagers will start drinking regardless if it's on a football top or not.

I think gambling is slightly different though I think.

Spudster
08-04-2019, 09:02 PM
Doesn't really bother me about having a betting site as the sponsor. The club don't put the logo on children sized shirts etc. That is a sensible approach. All the tournaments we've played in this year have betting sponsorship money one way or another so having it on the top makes no difference.
Always thought it odd that clubs like ourselves don’t have an alternate sponsor for the kids kits. Could also be used for European games in countries that don’t allow gambling, booze etc

Sir David Gray
08-04-2019, 09:17 PM
Unfortunately no one else wants to sponsor Scottish football clubs.

I believe only 4 of the Scottish Premiership clubs have betting companies as their sponsor this season. None of them have an alcohol sponsor.

dalkeith stu
08-04-2019, 09:40 PM
Does advertising alcohol on a strip really make that much of a difference. I watched Hibs as an easily influenced teenager whilst we were sponsored by Whyte and Mackay and I've never drank it once. Imo teenagers will start drinking regardless if it's on a football top or not.

I think gambling is slightly different though I think.
I feel it has the opposite effect, I'd never dream of having a Strongbow!!!

Austinho
08-04-2019, 09:46 PM
Betting company or not, Marathon Bet will go down as the most iconic sponsor in the clubs history. I’ll miss them when they’re gone. Would love to see a return of Carlsberg to soften the blow!

I wonder if Utilita will step up from being our ‘Official Energy Partner’ - they also sponsor Dundee United and it looks fairly smart on a kit.

Mick O'Rourke
08-04-2019, 09:54 PM
Guinness with the big harp logo? Come on, we'd love it :agree:

I too always thought that would look great.
As well as Harp Lager when that was popular here.

Mick O'Rourke
08-04-2019, 09:59 PM
7UP please😁

I had one of their t shirts years ago.
Only wore it on Derby Days.

Is there not a financial consultancy called "Money Spinner ! !!?

NAE NOOKIE
08-04-2019, 10:06 PM
7up would be sponsorship nirvana …. one can only hope :greengrin

As has been alluded to, the only serious money out there comes from alcohol or betting companies …. Aberdeen buck the trend amongst Scotland's top clubs, but that's because of their location I presume. All of the other clubs have sponsors who I highly doubt put up anything like the money Marathon Bet, 32 Red or Magners do.

My honest opinion is that shirt sponsorship by betting or alcohol firms has very little influence on whether or not kids, or adults for that matter, become alcoholic gambling addicts. As has been said many times why these companies advertise is to grab their share of already crowded markets, it has little or nothing to do with encouraging folk to actually drink or gamble … both pastimes which have been prevalent for centuries without blanket wall to wall advertising.

I've said it a few times when it comes to this subject …. What we need to do is think out of the box, a football team sponsored by a contraceptive company or even somebody like Tampax would be great advertising for the company involved because it would be so unusual …. just putting it out there :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
08-04-2019, 10:22 PM
7up would be sponsorship nirvana …. one can only hope :greengrin

As has been alluded to, the only serious money out there comes from alcohol or betting companies …. Aberdeen buck the trend amongst Scotland's top clubs, but that's because of their location I presume. All of the other clubs have sponsors who I highly doubt put up anything like the money Marathon Bet, 32 Red or Magners do.

My honest opinion is that shirt sponsorship by betting or alcohol firms has very little influence on whether or not kids, or adults for that matter, become alcoholic gambling addicts. As has been said many times why these companies advertise is to grab their share of already crowded markets, it has little or nothing to do with encouraging folk to actually drink or gamble … both pastimes which have been prevalent for centuries without blanket wall to wall advertising.

I've said it a few times when it comes to this subject …. What we need to do is think out of the box, a football team sponsored by a contraceptive company or even somebody like Tampax would be great advertising for the company involved because it would be so unusual …. just putting it out there :greengrin

I guess the difference is the instant access to betting apps - the immediacy and reminders make it harder to switch off.

ScottB
09-04-2019, 12:37 AM
I wouldn’t under estimate the effect sponsorship has. If these companies didn’t get a measurable return on it, they wouldn’t do it.

Perd Hapley
09-04-2019, 12:58 AM
I guess the difference is the instant access to betting apps - the immediacy and reminders make it harder to switch off.

I think this is true - but I would also add that online betting in particular has seen a massive explosion in popularity over the lost few years which looks set to increase - by all accounts it'll be a +£100 billion industry within the decade. You don't have to believe that having a shirt sponsorship directly increases the likelihood of folk gambling anyway to find it distasteful to have our community club profiting indirectly from it - promos and special odds for Hibs fans included. People are always going to gamble, but for me bookies are just so inherently unethical and exploitative that it embarrasses me to have our club so directly connected with one - sponsorships are agreements of mutual benefit and from that standpoint I don't really want our club lining the pockets of Marathon Bet's owners and shareholders no matter how well their PR team interacts with our fans (or how fondly I'll preserve my 15/16 top down the years). I make no apologies for Hibernian exceptionalism - we've blazed the trail often enough down the years (to the point of introducing shirt sponsors to top-flight British football in the first place) - and it would delight me to see our club take a stand once again and put ethics before profit. Opinions though eh

As an aside (and more to your point) I don't personally find the idea of a booze brand so offensive - maybe just because I grew up wearing Whyte & Mackay sponsors before I knew what a dram was, but also because I don't see the alcohol industry as being quite so inherently exploitative as the bookies. I do think there are moral questions involved in booze sponsorships but they don't have quite the same symbiotic relationship with the game as the bookies do and for me the problems start there.

monktonharp
09-04-2019, 01:40 AM
I don't really have much of a conscience but I'm not a fan of betting company sponsorship as I don't bet (ok, Grand National) and consider it tantamount to money laundering.

Much as I think their beer is gash, I thought Carlsberg were a decent international brand to advertise and I think Liverpool were also sponsored by them at the time which I thought helped us get noticed.OK, for those like you with no conscience, how about a big company like BAE, who have fancy aeroplanes clamped together outside their Crew Toll office complex. they must have a few bob, as they build guidance systems for the Saudis who test them in Yemen.

Since452
09-04-2019, 06:54 AM
Will always love Marathonbet if only for the simple reason that it was on our shirts when we won the Scottish Cup.

Thegreenside
09-04-2019, 06:58 AM
Don’t care what the company’s product is, most money for hibs please.

MyJo
09-04-2019, 10:20 AM
Doesn't really make much of a difference if I'm being honest.

I've never used Marathon Bet, Crabbies, McEwan Fraser, Whyte & Mackay, Carlsberg, Calor Gas or MacBean Protective Clothing.

I doubt i'll used Eden Mill either when they become our main shirt sponsor next season but if it brings money into the club that helps us continue to compete at the top end of the table and win trophies then so be it.

Just because there are a minority of people who have problems with gambling or alcohol doesn't mean that the companies themselves are unsuitable for the club to be associated with. Where do we draw the line with this stuff?

People moaned about McEwan Fraser because they were in the quick-sale property market and they apparently took advantage of people who had to sell their house in that way....should Dundee be similarly outraged?

Should Livingston not be associated with a restaurant/takeaway food company as there is an obesity problem in society.

Aberdeen are sponsored by a company that operate in the oil and gas sector. Should they refuse that sponsorship due to problems with pollution and climate change? Same goes for St Johnstone promoting a car dealership.

St Mirren promote a stockbrokers, I'm pretty sure that a number of people have been left destitute due to making bad investments and losing money on the stockmarket.

MrRobot
09-04-2019, 11:34 AM
Would prefer to take a stand and not have betting advertised on our shirts.

WhileTheChief..
09-04-2019, 12:12 PM
If BAE offer the most cash I’d happily have them as shirt sponsors.

As for no alcohol companies? When did we turn all puritanical?? We had a thread on here looking for boozers open at 9am on Derby day ffs!

All about the cash for me.

We keep getting told that every penny helps right? We gotta help Paul put the best team on the park right?

Well I’m sure we can’t turn our noses up at tens of thousands of pounds cause some folk want us to go off on a moral crusade.

Gloucester Hibs
09-04-2019, 12:20 PM
Adidas as kit manufacturers and Guinness as shirt sponsors remains the dream combo!

southsider
09-04-2019, 12:23 PM
Ryanair with discounts for Hibs ST holders ?

The Pointer
09-04-2019, 04:32 PM
Will always love Marathonbet if only for the simple reason that it was on our shirts when we won the Scottish Cup.

And the green Santa hats, don't forget the Santa hats! 😁

Billy Whizz
09-04-2019, 04:36 PM
And the green Santa hats, don't forget the Santa hats! 😁

Still got them😄

hibbydog
09-04-2019, 04:42 PM
Innis & Gunn please

Galahibby
09-04-2019, 05:03 PM
Ryanair with discounts for Hibs ST holders ?

You'd have to pay extra if you wanted sleeves and a badge on your shirt.

Hibernia&Alba
09-04-2019, 05:17 PM
You'd have to pay extra if you wanted sleeves and a badge on your shirt.

:top marks

hibees 7062
09-04-2019, 05:18 PM
http://onestop-shopping.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/greggs_logo.pngGet the rumours first hand

04Sauzee
09-04-2019, 09:40 PM
When will be start getting the mock ups for next season , some talented individuals out there that came up with some crackers for this season 😀

Leith's finest
09-04-2019, 09:48 PM
OK, for those like you with no conscience, how about a big company like BAE, who have fancy aeroplanes clamped together outside their Crew Toll office complex. they must have a few bob, as they build guidance systems for the Saudis who test them in Yemen.
It's not been BAE for years at Crewe toll, think it's called Leonardo now, or Selex

monktonharp
10-04-2019, 01:42 AM
It's not been BAE for years at Crewe toll, think it's called Leonardo now, or Selexaw well. bairns not bombs now, fair enough

Leith's finest
10-04-2019, 06:27 AM
aw well. bairns not bombs now, fair enough

But I heard a while ago, the guy who owns pdm plumbing is interested in sponcering the team in some way,

GreenOnions
10-04-2019, 08:27 AM
Doesn't really make much of a difference if I'm being honest.

I've never used Marathon Bet, Crabbies, McEwan Fraser, Whyte & Mackay, Carlsberg, Calor Gas or MacBean Protective Clothing.

I doubt i'll used Eden Mill either when they become our main shirt sponsor next season but if it brings money into the club that helps us continue to compete at the top end of the table and win trophies then so be it.

Just because there are a minority of people who have problems with gambling or alcohol doesn't mean that the companies themselves are unsuitable for the club to be associated with. Where do we draw the line with this stuff?

People moaned about McEwan Fraser because they were in the quick-sale property market and they apparently took advantage of people who had to sell their house in that way....should Dundee be similarly outraged?

Should Livingston not be associated with a restaurant/takeaway food company as there is an obesity problem in society.

Aberdeen are sponsored by a company that operate in the oil and gas sector. Should they refuse that sponsorship due to problems with pollution and climate change? Same goes for St Johnstone promoting a car dealership.

St Mirren promote a stockbrokers, I'm pretty sure that a number of people have been left destitute due to making bad investments and losing money on the stockmarket.

This is the classic argument for taking no responsibility and doing nothing. "Drawing a line" somewhere is exactly what having a philosophy or belief system is all about. Taking a lead on this issue is exactly what Hibernian should be about.

HFC is a key part of the community in Leith/Edinburgh and we are far more of a people's club than our city neighbours. The club already has a philosophy and I think this is an important aspect. The number of lives blighted by alcohol and gambling addiction is truly awful and I don't support the promotion of these things via sport for the same reasons I agreed with the ban on tobacco advertising.

Are we not proud of the way our club goes about its business as well as of its successes? Are we chasing success however that's achieved or do we take a stand on some issues?

FWIW - I feel that a key difference between some of the industries/services you mention and alcohol/gambling is the potential direct impact on children and young people - of which there are many amongst our support.

worcesterhibby
10-04-2019, 11:08 AM
This is the classic argument for taking no responsibility and doing nothing. "Drawing a line" somewhere is exactly what having a philosophy or belief system is all about. Taking a lead on this issue is exactly what Hibernian should be about.

HFC is a key part of the community in Leith/Edinburgh and we are far more of a people's club than our city neighbours. The club already has a philosophy and I think this is an important aspect. The number of lives blighted by alcohol and gambling addiction is truly awful and I don't support the promotion of these things via sport for the same reasons I agreed with the ban on tobacco advertising.

Are we not proud of the way our club goes about its business as well as of its successes? Are we chasing success however that's achieved or do we take a stand on some issues?

FWIW - I feel that a key difference between some of the industries/services you mention and alcohol/gambling is the potential direct impact on children and young people - of which there are many amongst our support.

Surely if we were going to ban alchohol sponsors, we should also ban the sale of alchohol in the ground or it would be very hypocritical..so no drinks when you head for Behind the goals bar or in hospitality ?? I guess we should then also refuse to play in the Scottish Cup since it is sponsored by William Hill or the League Cup as it's sponsored by Betfred. OH Crap we'd have to find a new league as well, since it's sponsored by Ladbrokes. Errrrr it's not going to be that easy to play at all...shall we just give up ?

People need to take responsibility for there own choices, not blame advertising for all the ills of the world IMHO.

kdhibees1
10-04-2019, 12:43 PM
We don’t get template kits from Macron.

Macaroon? 🥥

sambajustice
10-04-2019, 12:48 PM
Surely if we were going to ban alchohol sponsors, we should also ban the sale of alchohol in the ground or it would be very hypocritical..so no drinks when you head for Behind the goals bar or in hospitality ?? I guess we should then also refuse to play in the Scottish Cup since it is sponsored by William Hill or the League Cup as it's sponsored by Betfred. OH Crap we'd have to find a new league as well, since it's sponsored by Ladbrokes. Errrrr it's not going to be that easy to play at all...shall we just give up ?

People need to take responsibility for there own choices, not blame advertising for all the ills of the world IMHO.

Spot on

GreenOnions
10-04-2019, 01:09 PM

I do understand your point - although I think you're slightly missing mine. It's the attractiveness of football and its merchandise to children rather than to adults and the extent to which football clubs are influencers that might lead us to reconsider helping to promote activities such as gambling and alcohol.

Adults can take responsibility for their own choices - of course. Do you not think we need to take some responsibility on behalf of children/young people who support our club?

MyJo
10-04-2019, 01:25 PM

:top marks:

pretty much exactly what I was going to say, saves me the effort of replying :greengrin

erin-go-bragh87
10-04-2019, 04:17 PM
I don’t have any real issues with booze or gambling sponsors but my wee boy hates it that his strip isn’t the same as the players so for that reason I’d like to see a family friendly type sponsor next season for his sake!

Pete
10-04-2019, 05:17 PM
Some indecipherable Chinese online gaming companies logo and the biggest wedge of cash possible please.

Scott Allan Key
10-04-2019, 07:04 PM

What’s happened to the health hub that was going to take a part of the Famous Five stand?

Having alcohol or gambling sponsors directly contradicts the aims of this community goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bristolhibby
11-04-2019, 07:09 AM
I wouldn’t under estimate the effect sponsorship has. If these companies didn’t get a measurable return on it, they wouldn’t do it.

I bought Eden Mill Gin on the back of the sponsorship. Same with Crabbies.

Can’t say I ever used Macbean protective clothing.

J

EI255
11-04-2019, 10:33 AM

JDid you ever use "INSAVE"? [emoji16]

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Since452
11-04-2019, 11:37 AM

J

I tried Marathon Bet and Crabbies because of the sponsorship. Crabbies now one of my favourites. Still refuse to drink Strongbow. Saddo that i am.

NAE NOOKIE
11-04-2019, 01:45 PM

J

Ditto …. Crabbies is nice. Though I hate Gin I bough a bottle of Eden Mill for my brother at Christmas :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
11-04-2019, 01:49 PM
Perhaps we should be sponsored by a fireworks or CCTV company … or dogs trust :devil:

Scott Allan Key
11-04-2019, 11:03 PM
Perhaps we should be sponsored by a fireworks or CCTV company … or dogs trust :devil:

Or Winalot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CraigHibee
12-04-2019, 02:38 PM

J

The guy was a big hibby and I'm sure the stuff they produced was mainly for emergency services etc