cleanyman
07-04-2019, 06:26 PM
Dropped from Sky after his comments over Adam Johnson

What a fool

hfc rd
07-04-2019, 06:29 PM
Dropped from Sky after his comments over Adam Johnson

What a fool

I missed it but heard he was getting it tight all over social media.

What did he say?

Scottiedog007
07-04-2019, 06:36 PM
Story here

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47845680

Fife-Hibee
07-04-2019, 06:45 PM
A daft comment to make really. But another modern day knee jerk reaction from the eager to be offended brigade. I don't really like Strachan, but I don't believe for one moment that he was intending to draw comparisons between the seriousness of two different types of crimes.

hibee316
07-04-2019, 06:49 PM
A daft comment to make really. But another modern day knee jerk reaction from the eager to be offended brigade. I don't really like Strachan, but I don't believe for one moment that he was intending to draw comparisons between the seriousness of two different types of crimes.

If he isn't aware that what he was saying would sound like he was drawing comparisons then he isn't doing his job properly so quite rightly deserves to face consequences.

He was on national TV. There are no excuses, it wasn't as if he was caught on the hop with what they were talking about.

SChibs
07-04-2019, 06:54 PM
I think he brought up a valid point for discussion but he just didn't portray it quite right. As soon as people compare two things folk seem to think that's them saying they are the same.

Sammy7nil
07-04-2019, 06:55 PM
If he isn't aware that what he was saying would sound like he was drawing comparisions then he isn't doing his job properly so quite rightly deserves to face consequences.

He was on national TV. There are no excuses, it wasn't as if he was caught on the hop with what they were talking about.

it was a very poor comparison however I think he was trying to say who decides what is and what isn't acceptable and what action will be taken. In the current climate he should have steered well clear and simply said all abuse is unacceptable.

Fife-Hibee
07-04-2019, 06:55 PM
If he isn't aware that what he was saying would sound like he was drawing comparisons then he isn't doing his job properly so quite rightly deserves to face consequences.

I think the only people it's going to sound like he was drawing comparisons to, are those who are constantly looking to be offended by something. It was daft, because it gives those people the opportunity to jump on the knee jerk bandwagon.

It was a silly thing to say in the moment, but I certainly don't believe it was intended to be taken in the way that people will no doubt take it in order to feel some sense of outrage.

hibsbollah
07-04-2019, 06:56 PM
Anyone remember 'We need to look at genetics'?
Hes a pure slaver.

CathroMustStay
07-04-2019, 06:57 PM
I think he brought up a valid point for discussion but he just didn't portray it quite right. As soon as people compare two things folk seem to think that's them saying they are the same.

Being verbally abused for being a nonce and being abused for the colour of your skin are polar opposites in comparative terms.

There is no context in which Strachan's comments can be defended.

Fife-Hibee
07-04-2019, 07:05 PM
Being verbally abused for being a nonce and being abused for the colour of your skin are polar opposites in comparative terms.

Verbal abuse is verbal abuse, regardless of whether someone feels that it's personally justified or not. I believe that's the point he was making. Although, he could have put it forward much better than he did.

Sammy7nil
07-04-2019, 07:08 PM
Verbal abuse is verbal abuse, regardless of whether someone feels that it's personally justified or not. I believe that's the point he was making. Although, he could have put it forward much better than he did.

That is the way I took it.

Ozyhibby
07-04-2019, 07:10 PM
Hes a pure slaver.

Strachan’s chat on race makes me feel uncomfortable. Probably best he bows out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-04-2019, 07:25 PM
It is almost like Strachan thought that he was being clever but in a serious discussion you have to be more sure of your way out of an argument rather than your way in. The context of the Johnson case, and others like it , is singular IMO , perhaps at a push it can be mixed in with players who have served prison sentences for other reasons . It was badly judged and I can see why he has been emptied.

Hibernia&Alba
07-04-2019, 08:45 PM
Hes a pure slaver.

That was just bizarre.

Sir David Gray
07-04-2019, 09:12 PM
Poorly worded comments but this is the same company who continues to employ Jamie Carragher despite footage of him spitting towards a young girl.

Lago
07-04-2019, 09:15 PM
I think the only people it's going to sound like he was drawing comparisons to, are those who are constantly looking to be offended by something. It was daft, because it gives those people the opportunity to jump on the knee jerk bandwagon.

It was a silly thing to say in the moment, but I certainly don't believe it was intended to be taken in the way that people will no doubt take it in order to feel some sense of outrage.
Agree 100%

CMurdoch
07-04-2019, 10:06 PM
It certainly wasn't Gordon who wrote the apology statement.

Steve-O
07-04-2019, 10:09 PM
Overreaction once again. Next.

jacomo
07-04-2019, 10:42 PM

To be fair to Strachan, his apology is genuine (ie not the typical ‘I apologise for causing any offence’).

He’s not defending his comments.

jacomo
07-04-2019, 10:42 PM
It certainly wasn't Gordon who wrote the apology statement.

How do you know that?

DetroitHibs
08-04-2019, 01:18 AM
They have guys like John Terry and Roy Keane still on the show, that have said and did plenty. Terry a guilty rascist at that. Getting sacked for a stupidly worded comment sums up the world these days. SKY used to cream themselves waiting for interviews after match day, waiting for crazy comments and the likes.

Crunchie
08-04-2019, 02:52 AM
Hes a pure slaver.

I and many more like me who have come up against much bigger and stronger athletes when playing football, I knew what he was trying to say.

Gordon might struggle with his wording and the way he attempts to say things at times, why does that make him a slaver?

The guy is a Hibs fan, Scotland International, and was a fantastic footballer. Because he is not as intelligent as some doesn't make him a slaver.

Crunchie
08-04-2019, 02:53 AM

Summed up perfectly. :agree:

Scott Allan Key
08-04-2019, 03:48 AM

Someone being castigated for wrongdoing and someone being castigated for their skin colour is not the same. One is justifiable, and deserved, the other isn’t. Strachan (and anyone who agrees with him) is a moron for saying they’re comparable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
08-04-2019, 07:10 AM
To be fair to Strachan, his apology is genuine (ie not the typical ‘I apologise for causing any offence’).

He’s not defending his comments.

He was very remorseful and as you say, did not try to defend or back up anything.

I think it is harsh that he has been dropped.

And without wanting to dig myself a hole the same way he so clumsily did, I do think he has raised a point worthy of discussion - what level of abuse is acceptable and justified (paedo, ginger, fat, jambo ******** etc), what is unacceptable (racist, sexist, sectarian) and why?

Since452
08-04-2019, 07:12 AM
I see what he was getting at. Harsh he was dropped.