PDA

View Full Version : Keekback

Irish_Steve
06-04-2019, 06:49 PM
Just doing a little undercover work on Keekback and the seethe levels are at DefCon 1 - hilarious. And apparently the throwing of a coconut is racist which wasn`t my first thought when I saw it, just who on earth thinks, I`ll buy that and chuck it on the pitch at Tynecastle!

007 Mickey Weir
06-04-2019, 07:02 PM
Just doing a little undercover work on Keekback and the seethe levels are at DefCon 1 - hilarious. And apparently the throwing of a coconut is racist which wasn`t my first thought when I saw it, just who on earth thinks, I`ll buy that and chuck it on the pitch at Tynecastle!

Was it a Hearts fan that threw the coconut?

justlikebrazil
06-04-2019, 07:03 PM
Did it come from the Hibs end?

Sammy7nil
06-04-2019, 07:03 PM
Was it a Hearts fan that threw the coconut?

Came from the Hibs end

Irish_Steve
06-04-2019, 07:06 PM
Opinion seems to be that it came from our end, right after Horgan`s goal - seems an utterly weird thing to do. Maybe I`m missing something but I really don`t get the connection to racism. What other fruits are on the banned list?

wookie70
06-04-2019, 07:20 PM
Came from section H about half way up. Definitely our end and it was stupid enough without the possibility it was some form of racism.

21sMay
06-04-2019, 07:21 PM
If you where to blow your cover on kickback .....how would you do it 😉

Irish_Steve
06-04-2019, 07:23 PM
Ha, been punted from there more than once!

CMurdoch
06-04-2019, 07:23 PM

As here there are some folks over there with a sense of humour.
One such wag says Levein has signed the Coconut on a 3 year deal :greengrin:aok:.

Irish_Steve
06-04-2019, 07:30 PM
I love the irony (in that Big Daz is an animal for halfing Haring) yet called for maroon balloons to "snap" him lol

Scouse Hibee
06-04-2019, 08:06 PM
Opinion seems to be that it came from our end, right after Horgan`s goal - seems an utterly weird thing to do. Maybe I`m missing something but I really don`t get the connection to racism. What other fruits are on the banned list?

Bananas

HoboHarry
06-04-2019, 08:16 PM
Plums should be. Every Hearts fan would be banned from Easter Road if they were.....

JimboHibs
06-04-2019, 08:19 PM

Its bizzarley a reference to Uche Ikpeazu,Cambridge United always play 'Ive got a lovely pair of coconuts' after a win **** odd reference 😂😂 100% didnt come from the Hibs end.

Irish_Steve
06-04-2019, 08:22 PM
Its bizzarley a reference to Uche Ikpeazu,Cambridge United always play 'Ive got a lovely pair of coconuts' after a win **** odd reference 😂😂 100% didnt come from the Hibs end.

Some of our fans say it came from our end

JimboHibs
06-04-2019, 08:28 PM
Some of our fans say it came from our end

Not sure about that,couple of Hearts mates said it was from their end,its happened at Cambridge when Uche was playing there,as i said its an odd one 😂😂😂.

FilipinoHibs
06-04-2019, 08:53 PM

For Africans/south east asians calling people pineapple or coconut head or pineaple/coconut tree dwellers is seen as racist. Cannot be certain but was premeditated to take in and throw when there was the mayhem of a goal celebration likely to be aimed at their big African striker. Remember the bananas for Mark Walter's at Tynie? Think in the same ilk. We like to think we are cosmopolitan and understand other peoples cultures but we have a long way to go.

Aim Here
06-04-2019, 08:56 PM
The fact that it's a coconut is so bizarre that if this was a racist sending a message, it's not getting across, and that's how it should be.

Bostonhibby
06-04-2019, 09:00 PM
Its bizzarley a reference to Uche Ikpeazu,Cambridge United always play 'Ive got a lovely pair of coconuts' after a win **** odd reference [emoji23][emoji23] 100% didnt come from the Hibs end.Bizarre though it might seem. Cambridge Utd definitely have an affinity with coconuts. Not hard to find evidence on the internet.

This could just be the yams trying to form yet another of their strange "special relationships"

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Scouse Hibee
06-04-2019, 09:01 PM
For Africans/south east asians calling people pineapple or coconut head or pineaple/coconut tree dwellers is seen as racist. Cannot be certain but was premeditated to take in and throw when there was the mayhem of a goal celebration likely to be aimed at their big African striker. Remember the bananas for Mark Walter's at Tynie? Think in the same ilk. We like to think we are cosmopolitan and understand other peoples cultures but we have a long way to go.

Their big striker is not African, he is English born and bred, coconuts are of no relevance to him. That’s probably too hard for the idiot that threw it, if indeed it was racially motivated.

Danderhall Hibs
06-04-2019, 09:18 PM
The fact that it's a coconut is so bizarre that if this was a racist sending a message, it's not getting across, and that's how it should be.

I thought a black guy calling another black guy a coconut was an insult (not racist though)?

Wakeyhibee
06-04-2019, 09:27 PM
The question is how did said person secrete it into the stadium given the checks/searches. I wouldn't want to be the person who had to retrieve it

Killiehibbie
06-04-2019, 09:29 PM
I thought a black guy calling another black guy a coconut was an insult (not racist though)?
I thought that was a Bounty, brown on the outside but being white on the inside.

Hermit Crab
06-04-2019, 09:31 PM

Aye? Remind them of the time that couldn't by a banana within a mile of Tynie as they'd all be sold to the racist Hearts fans to throw at Mark Walters!

Danderhall Hibs
06-04-2019, 09:31 PM
I thought that was a Bounty, brown on the outside but being white on the inside.

Coconut definitely is - bounty might be another. Would’ve been easier to smuggle a bounty in.

SChibs
06-04-2019, 09:33 PM
Coconut definitely is - bounty might be another. Would’ve been easier to smuggle a bounty in.

I remember Rio Ferdinand calling Ashley Cole a choc-ice when he defended John Terry. Same sort of thing

Danderhall Hibs
06-04-2019, 09:37 PM
I remember Rio Ferdinand calling Ashley Cole a choc-ice when he defended John Terry. Same sort of thing

That rings a bell.

Would’ve melted when being smuggled into the ground though so I can see why they opted for a coconut over it.

lyonhibs
06-04-2019, 09:38 PM

Why the devil would you think he's African when 10 seconds of Internet research would tell you he's as English as fish and chips.

God knows who got a coconut into Tynie, how they got it in there and what their intentions were, but they weren't intending to throw it at their "big African" striker.

ancient hibee
06-04-2019, 11:02 PM
Why do people make monkey noises?Monkeys like coconuts.The connection is pretty obvious.

I'm_cabbaged
06-04-2019, 11:11 PM
Why do people make monkey noises?Monkeys like coconuts.The connection is pretty obvious.

Is this a woosh moment for me?

Austinho
06-04-2019, 11:48 PM
Unless there’s any sort definitive proof of racism, can’t we just give the thrower the benefit of the doubt and assume they just simply grabbed the hardest object they could find in an attempt to seriously maim a Hearts player, and there was nothing sinister about it? :)

ozhibs
07-04-2019, 03:22 AM
I could be wrong but a coloured person calling another coloured person a coco is an insult because they are claiming that they are dark outside but white inside

Steve-O
07-04-2019, 03:37 AM

It is a derogatory term for Pacific Islanders in this part of the world.

Dashing Bob S
07-04-2019, 06:08 AM
It’s all about context. If a Hearts fan threw the coconut it would almost certainly have been a racist gesture. However as it was a Hibs fan I would be more inclined to see as a clever situationist postmodern prank, aimed at getting citizens to address the issue of ethnic stereotypes while examining our own values and general societal mores.

Beefster
07-04-2019, 06:49 AM

It’s a bit ironic that attempting to prove that whoever threw the coconut was being racist has backfired on you because of your assumption that being black equals African. In your defence, you’re not the only one that should just avoid the subject completely.

FilipinoHibs
07-04-2019, 07:12 AM
It is a derogatory term for Pacific Islanders in this part of the world.

Confirmed I live in the Philippines. They don't insult anybody but feel sorry for the biggots who insult them. Why Butcher lasted 3 weeks as national coach.

FilipinoHibs
07-04-2019, 07:15 AM
It’s a bit ironic that attempting to prove that whoever threw the coconut was being racist has backfired on you because of your assumption that being black equals African. In your defence, you’re not the only one that should just avoid the subject completely.

Black people may not all come from Africa but are of African descent. Those who are not directly from Africa are almost certainly descended from slaves. People stolen from their homes by Europeans in which Scots played a dispropriate role.

neil7908
07-04-2019, 07:24 AM
It's a very specific thing to bring a football game if you just want to throw something at the opposition.

Whilst we can't jump to conclusions without knowing the full story, I suspect there will be racist motivations.

FilipinoHibs
07-04-2019, 07:26 AM
It’s all about context. If a Hearts fan threw the coconut it would almost certainly have been a racist gesture. However as it was a Hibs fan I would be more inclined to see as a clever situationist postmodern prank, aimed at getting citizens to address the issue of ethnic stereotypes while examining our own values and general societal mores.

According to some twat on Facebook a Hibs fan opportunisticallly stole the coconut from a Gorgie grocer and just threw it on the pitch when we scored. Rather than a premeditated insult to big black Hearts striker of African descent or their African midfielder. The idiot oblivious to the fact we have at least 4 Africans or of African descent in our squad plus a Filipino. All would be offended by the coconut joke. Just like the Rudi Skatchel refugee song when Hibs are founded by refugees themselves. We got to challenge all these racist stereotypes. Remember the Golliwog Robertson's jam advert that nobody would stomach now but was ok in 50s and 60sm

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
07-04-2019, 07:40 AM
According to some twat on Facebook a Hibs fan opportunisticallly stole the coconut from a Gorgie grocer and just threw it on the pitch when we scored. Rather than a premeditated insult to big black Hearts striker of African descent or their African midfielder. The idiot oblivious to the fact we have at least 4 Africans or of African descent in our squad plus a Filipino. All would be offended by the coconut joke. Just like the Rudi Skatchel refugee song when Hibs are founded by refugees themselves. We got to challenge all these racist stereotypes. Remember the Golliwog Robertson's jam advert that nobody would stomach now but was ok in 50s and 60sm

The stolen on the way to the game was exactly my assumption. People are looking into it way too deeply, and I doubt there is anything racist to it (the link seems to be coconuts are a tropical fruit, Africa is in the tropics, if He is black so of African descent, therefore its racist - mental!)

I remember a mate of mine doing something similar recently, and when we got in the pub he produced s red pepper he picked up from an outside fruit and veg stall. Very random but quite amusing when drunk.

Unless it was an abstractly racist slur against Jorge claros, who was from central America, which is near Mexico, who eat red peppers... now that i think about it.

lapsedhibee
07-04-2019, 07:46 AM
Black people may not all come from Africa but are of African descent. Those who are not directly from Africa are almost certainly descended from slaves. People stolen from their homes by Europeans in which Scots played a dispropriate role.

And? :dunno:

jax67
07-04-2019, 10:14 AM
Came from the Hibs end

I reckon the COCONUT being thrown onto the pitch was a protest, have you seen us take a decent SHY.

Hibrandenburg
07-04-2019, 10:25 AM
It was just someone practising a shy.

SaulGoodman
07-04-2019, 10:39 AM

Technically all humans descend from Africa

AltheHibby
07-04-2019, 11:33 AM
Technically all humans descend from Africa

Which makes most of us in the UK mutants. Although some are more so than others! 😁

Fife-Hibee
07-04-2019, 11:39 AM
They're absolutely convinced that they dominated yesterday and did enough to beat us 10 games over. If that's the height of their standards, then long may it continue. :coffee:

Superfurry72
07-04-2019, 11:48 AM

In moderately related news, we got a taxi from my mate’s house in Saughton to the game yesterday, and in the 10-minute journey he kept lashing out at other drivers (we had an 11 year-old with us who was hearing this) before finishing off his ranting with an appalling racist tirade. When I pulled him up he just said “Aye, OK mate” - no apology. I took his number and my mate who booked the cab has the details of the company. I don’t like reporting people but the lack of contrition has made me think I should.

Dashing Bob S
07-04-2019, 12:26 PM
They're absolutely convinced that they dominated yesterday and did enough to beat us 10 games over. If that's the height of their standards, then long may it continue. :coffee:

They must be (coco)nuts

Irish_Steve
07-04-2019, 12:27 PM
Has it actually been proved that it came from our end, perhaps the coconut thieving individual kept his until he got home but that`s a stretch to put it mildly, twoco****s in the same stadium at the same time lol

brog
07-04-2019, 12:33 PM
So it seems pretty obvious to me. It came from our end/Hawrts end, It was premeditated/it was spontaneous, it was racist/it was a tribute to Cambridge. Glad to have helped clear things up! :greengrin

Jack Hackett
07-04-2019, 09:03 PM
So it seems pretty obvious to me. It came from our end/Hawrts end, It was premeditated/it was spontaneous, it was racist/it was a tribute to Cambridge. Glad to have helped clear things up! :greengrin

In a nutshell 🥥

Sas_The_Hibby
07-04-2019, 09:13 PM

It's uncanny. That was exactly my immediate thought when I saw it appear on the pitch.

majorhibs
07-04-2019, 09:24 PM

Leave the thinkin tae the thinkers. Persecutings no nice when ye generalise about 500 years intae 1 sentence condemnin a continent or continents, imo.

Chez
07-04-2019, 10:05 PM

Carribean connection maybe:dunno:

People are taking offence awfy easy these days - whatever happened with people having a thick skin and detaching (perhaps laughing it off)?

It's a personal choice whether or not someone takes offence - I choose not to.

There's no need for throwing anything on the pitch during a game - causing unnecessary stoppages and wasting time like it did in the game yesterday. Thank god its only a very small minority but one is too many IMHO.

FilipinoHibs
08-04-2019, 07:33 PM
I could be wrong but a coloured person calling another coloured person a coco is an insult because they are claiming that they are dark outside but white inside

Yes that is how it is viewed.

FilipinoHibs
08-04-2019, 07:41 PM
[QUOTE=Chez;5760044]Carribean connection maybe:dunno:

I bet those that are not taking offence are not Hispanic, black or a Pacific islander who have had this racist coconut slur for centuries from white colonists. Because we are a mainly white ex major colonists these racists slurs are ingrained in our daily language and appear normal to us. But we are enlightened as the those at the end of the slur have told us the offence it causes and the root of the slur. The least we can do is acknowledge that fact and stop using these slurs as if they are normal and inoffensive

The 90+2
08-04-2019, 07:42 PM
It was for Horgan. Next time he would prefer a bag of pegs please 👍

Is It On....
08-04-2019, 07:57 PM

Brilliant..

Malthibby
08-04-2019, 09:20 PM
In moderately related news, we got a taxi from my mate’s house in Saughton to the game yesterday, and in the 10-minute journey he kept lashing out at other drivers (we had an 11 year-old with us who was hearing this) before finishing off his ranting with an appalling racist tirade. When I pulled him up he just said “Aye, OK mate” - no apology. I took his number and my mate who booked the cab has the details of the company. I don’t like reporting people but the lack of contrition has made me think I should.

Meybes consider what else this guy's up to if he's happy behaving like that in front of total strangers at his work. Be a nice wee message for your kid as well if you took it further.
We have gone backwards at a rate of knots over the past couple of years in terms of what folk think is acceptable to say out loud. Nobody thought racism was dead but I don't
think many realised how much was bubbling away under the surface. Depressing.