PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Hearts 06 04 19)

Jonnyboy
06-04-2019, 04:26 PM
Well I don’t know about you but I’m absolutely exhausted after watching Hibs fight their way to a league win at Tynecastle for the first time in a long while. It will be argued that Hearts had a hatful of chances which were either scorned or brilliantly defended but the truth of the matter is that Hibs won the game with a quite superb goal from Daryl Horgan, his second of the game.

Only one change was made to Hecky’s starting eleven with McGregor brought back in to central defence as Milligan took up the defensive midfield role with Slivka dropping to the bench. Early exchanges were frantic in nature with both sides trying to get a foothold in the game. As it turned out it is fair to say that Hearts won that particular battle and earned a couple of corners which were ably dealt with by the Hibs defence. At the other end, Horgan had two chances to get a shot away but neither troubled the goalkeeper. Next, Lee fired a free kick in that I reckon Rocky had covered as it hit the base of the post before being cleared away. A couple of half chances came next for the hosts with Rocky saving one and the other being blasted over the bar when scoring looked easier.

Around the twenty five minute mark the hosts took the lead when Haring escaped the clutches of Milligan and sent a powerful header beyond Rocky from a corner on their right. It could be argued that the goal was coming as Hibs could have cleared the initial danger but Hearts were rewarded for having the upper hand at that point.

The Hibs fans were silenced by the setback but only for three minutes as it turns out because a lovely pass down the left from Kamberi, hit with the outside of his boot found McNulty who copied the outside of the foot pass by setting up Horgan who blasted the ball home from about ten yards. I was told later that McNulty had been offside and so that simply added to my joy at the goal because we’ve been robbed there enough in the recent past.

The final fifteen minutes of the first half were pretty even with Hibs trying to play football and Hearts sticking to their task of lumping the ball towards Ikpeazu and hoping for a knock down in the box. To be fair I thought Hearts might have had a penalty when Omeonga fouled Souttar in the box but referee Willie Collum waved any protests aside. Right on the half time whistle, Hearts sent in yet another corner which Rocky came out to punch clear and in the process seemed to collide with David Gray who required quite lengthy treatment.

The second half started briskly and in my view, Hibs were now in the ascendency and took the lead about ten minutes into the half with a quite wonderful goal. A quick exchange of passes between Kamberi and Mallan allowed the latter to pick out Horgan who fired home from the edge of the box. A magnificent goal that clearly stunned the home support, perhaps not sure of what they’d seen as it was a million miles away from the sort of football served up under Levein. Two minutes after getting their second goal, Hibs could and should have had a third when a cross from Omeonga saw McNulty rise unchallenged but agonisingly his header flew wide of the goal.

That Hearts brand of football continued with Ikpeazu the target in the hope of one of those knock downs. The home support didn’t like what they were seeing as although their favourites had lots of possession they found a Hibs team organised, committed and very pleasing on the eye when in attack. At the other end Mulraney fired an effort over the bar before Hanlon saw his header saved by Zlamal.

With around fifteen minutes left Hibs were awarded a free kick close to thirty yards from goal and Mallan was so unlucky when his howitzer of a shot looked destined for the top corner only for Zlamal to dive full length and push it around the post for a corner.

As you might expect with the clock running down, Hearts threw everything at Hibs but resolute defending and a wee bit of luck kept the Hibs goal intact. Their hurry to try and salvage something from the game left them a bit light at the back and Omeonga was unlucky to be off balance at the back post when his effort from a Milligan cross went past the post. McNulty worked Zlamal again but with the fourth official holding up the board to indicate a minimum of four minutes left, Zlamal appeared in the Hibs box for a corner, getting nowhere near the ball which was cleared away. When the final whistle blew there were boos from the three home stands but it was party time in the Roseburn end.

The players

Rocky – The big fella had no chance with the goal but I was particularly impressed that he consistently came out to punch the ball clear whenever a cross came into the box. That helped the defenders no end.

SDG – Our captain will be battered and bruised tonight I am sure. This was a typical David Gray performance as he put his body on the line time and time again.

Daz – There aren’t many players in Scotland that will bully Daz but to a degree Ikpeazu did just that on occasion. It must be said however that Daz was often more than a match for the giant Hearts striker.

Paul – A solid enough performance from Paul. I heard someone shout at him to stop trying the cross field diagonal passes but I’d put money on the fact that it was part of the game plan to try and isolate Burns at the back post.

Lewis – Another solid display from Lewis. I thought he handled Sean Clare pretty well and like SDG never once hesitated to put his body on the line.

Daryl – I was particularly critical of Daryl after the borefest against Kilmarnock but I thought he was superb today and took both goals really well. His double had him high in my man of the match thoughts but he didn’t quite get there.

Millsy – My man of the match against Killie, he was not so effective or impressive today but fair play to him as I doubt even with all his years in the game he’s ever experienced anything quite like an Edinburgh derby.

Stevie – With Milligan in midfield, Stevie was able to play further up the park and I though he had a good hour after the first thirty seemed to pass him by a bit. His involvement in the winning goal showed exactly what quality he has.

Stephane – What a wee dynamo Omeonga is. He just never stops running, is great in the challenge, isn’t afraid to get physical and has a huge amount of footballing ability. Stephane was my man of the match today.

Flo – It’s weird you know as I felt he wasn’t great today until I remembered his pivotal role in both goals. Where he frustrates me most is his inability to retain possession at times but I’ll forgive him that today!

Sparky – I said earlier that Omeonga never stops running and I can safely say the same about Sparky. His reading of the game and the ability to find space when surrounded by giants today was mightily impressive. Although effectively lone striker he managed well not to just get isolated.

Marv – I spotted Marv exchanging pleasantries with a few Hearts fans as he warmed up behind the goal. I can easily imagine him treating the obvious insults with his trademark grin. He got stuck in during his time on the park and as much as anyone played his part in seeing out the game.

JS – I don’t think Spector has a nickname yet so I’ll stick with JS for the moment. Replacing SDG at right back with about fifteen minutes to go it’s difficult to offer much of a view on his play although there was one instance where his experience and maturity caught my eye as he found a way out of a corner with Hearts men snapping at his heels.

Viki – Only got a handful of minutes at the end but helped the defence out well with Hearts throwing everything at them.

Hecky – Once again he got his team selection and tactics spot on. I noticed on more than one occasion that he called a player over at a break in play to relay fresh instructions and clearly those worked.

The fans – Apart from the inevitable flares going off I thought our fans were pretty well behaved and the noise at full time was spine tingling.

Willie Collum – For such an experienced ref I can’t believe the number of times he awarded a free kick on the back of the howls of the crowd.

Robinho08
06-04-2019, 04:43 PM
Brilliant and pleasing read. 👍🏼

hibsbollah
06-04-2019, 04:50 PM
I can't look past David Gray for MOTM, but your assessment is spot on Jonny. I'm just concerned you have enough time to celebrate after writing all that:greengrin

Sammy7nil
06-04-2019, 05:05 PM
Thought the ref had a great game and all the 50\50s went our way.

Glory Lurker
06-04-2019, 05:25 PM
A great account as usual, Jonnyboy, although Daryl has to be motm for me.

04Sauzee
06-04-2019, 05:46 PM
Thought other than losing his man at the corner Milligan was again superb. MOTM has to go to Horgan for his 2 goals but once again Omeonga ran him a close 2nd

Billy Whizz
06-04-2019, 05:54 PM
Great report JB, haven’t watched any of the game on TV yet, but I’m going to put it on now, it’s on the BT sport app if anyone has it, full game😄
I thought second half we had a few good chances at 1-2 to put Hearts away. Unfair from me to pick a man of the match, but we had a few candidates

B.H.F.C
06-04-2019, 05:55 PM
Thought the ref had a great game and all the 50\50s went our way.

I thought, for the most part, he decided that whatever Ikpeazu did wouldn’t be a foul but whatever we did to him wouldn’t be a foul either. Just left them to get on with it most of the time.

Billy Whizz
06-04-2019, 05:56 PM
I thought, for the most part, he decided that whatever Ikpeazu did wouldn’t be a foul but whatever we did to him wouldn’t be a foul either. Just left them to get on with it most of the time.

Uche seems to be falling down every time he runs, don’t think he can stay on his feet at all

Bobby's Cinema
06-04-2019, 06:15 PM
Some great performances but the difference between today and yet another bruising hoofball stalemate at Tynie was two moments of absolute quality finishing.

For that reason can only be Horgan for my MOTM.

BILLYHIBS
06-04-2019, 06:16 PM
Are you serious?

MOTM Daryl Horgan by a country mile

First double at Tiny since Joe McBride Jnr

Received a well deserved standing ovation from the Hibees massed in the Cask Southside when subbed :greengrin

CMurdoch
06-04-2019, 06:27 PM
MOTM Horgan
2 wonderful finishes from a guy whose finishing can be very poor.
Match hereafter after named "The Horgan Derby"

Todays win means in the 3rd round of matches we have beaten all 7 teams below us and drawn 2 and lost 2 aganst the 4 teams above us. Absolutely fantastic stuff.

JoeT
06-04-2019, 06:34 PM
I think we should call JS: Big Phil?

hfc rd
06-04-2019, 06:34 PM
Great report as always JB

I don’t like that Collum at all but felt he reffed the game pretty well and tried to keep it flowing as much as possible without brandishing cards out left, right and centre. Also whenever a Hearts player was fouled, there were about 3-4 Hearts players running over and surrounding him, screaming for a pen/booking etc and he didn’t bow down to their wishes like many refs would have done.

GreenNWhiteArmy
06-04-2019, 07:22 PM
Totally agree with your assessment.

Said on the Omeonga thread I'd defer to your match report and your motm suggestion. Glad you agreed he was the standout

ehf
06-04-2019, 08:04 PM
Thought other than losing his man at the corner Milligan was again superb. MOTM has to go to Horgan for his 2 goals but once again Omeonga ran him a close 2nd

I can see why JB gave it to the wee man as he was absolutely brilliant (and lapped up the celebrations at the end) but agree Horgan deserves MoTM for two superbly taken goals.

Billy Whizz
06-04-2019, 08:13 PM
I can see why JB gave it to the wee man as he was absolutely brilliant (and lapped up the celebrations at the end) but agree Horgan deserves MoTM for two superbly taken goals.

I can see both sides, SO was one of the few players on the park that wanted to play, on the other DH scored 2 goals at Tynie, 1st player Hibs in 30 odd years to do so

Hibs4185
David Gray MOTM by a county mile.
Countless defensive headers against their bulldozer. Never say die attitude. Absolute legend and deservedly so, even after an injury.

SIR by name, SIR by nature

BoomtownHibees
Anybody scoring 2 goals, especially in an away derby, should be MOTM regardless of how he played the rest of the game

HibbySpurs
06-04-2019, 08:15 PM
How it feels? Brilliant just brilliant, everyone have a great weekend!

Spot on analysis as always.

RyeSloan
06-04-2019, 08:36 PM

Opinions eh! I thought he was honking first half...caused their corner and then lost his man.

Anyhoo who cares really...what a result [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

RyeSloan
06-04-2019, 08:38 PM
Uche seems to be falling down every time he runs, don’t think he can stay on his feet at all

He also seems to think that he can back in and obstruct the centre half as soon as the ball is launched at him..despite it being 50 yards away.

It’s a nonsense he gets away with it but really that’s all he has. A footballer he ain’t.

Greenbeard
06-04-2019, 09:18 PM
Opinions eh! I thought he was honking first half...caused their corner and then lost his man.

Anyhoo who cares really...what a result [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]
Not the first time a goal has been lost from a corner due to Milligan losing his man. Seems to be a big weakness in his game which teams will look to exploit, but as you say who cares the now.

NAE NOOKIE
06-04-2019, 10:32 PM
Any away win at the Rust Arena tempts me to give everybody a 10 but I'll resist :greengrin

Marciano …. 7 ….. No chance with the goal, but came and punched whenever he could and made one good save from lurch.

Gray …. 8 …. What a warrior, buffeted bashed and bruised and still had a good game.

Hanlon ….. 7 …. One of his better performances lately, made a couple of mistakes but also made some timely challenges.

McGregor … 8 …. What a Daz like performance that was, gave no quarter and I thought was actually quite clever against Ikpeazu grappling with him just enough to hold him up without being penalised … and that tackle ….. ****in' ave it !!! :thumbsup:

Stevenson …. 7 …. Battled away and made some good tackles, tireless as usual … so pleased for him to have a win at their place under his belt.

Milligan …. 7 ….. His first half hour was forgettable as he made a horrendous pass back and then lost his man at the goal, but to be fair to him he came back into the game and made a decent contribution after that.

Mallan ….. 7 ….. A wee bit generous this because in truth he didn't get involved enough, but he contributed to the winner and was so unlucky not to score a wonder goal.

Omeonga …. 8 …. Ran himself into the ground and won the ball a number of times in midfield, came into his own in the second half being central to our breakaways from defence, played a lovely cross that McNulty might have done better with .. super performance from the wee man.

Horgan … 9.5 …. Did really well to score from a pass that was nearly behind him for the first and his contribution to and finish for the winner was outstanding, nothing more needs to be said.

Kamberi … 7 …. Worked hard enough and played a nice ball for McNulty at the first goal, he really needs to improve his control though.

McNulty …. 8 …. Won a load of headers that just didn't drop to Hibs players, worked like mental and played a superb ball for the first goal, I liked his performance, though arguably he could have done better with his header in the 2nd half.

SUBS:

Bartley …. 5 …. Did what he could, but I agree with some others that perhaps his time is coming to an end as he seems out of Heck's plans and doesn't get up to speed quick enough when he comes on these days … still love the big guy though.

Spectre …. 5 …… Didn't really have to do a great deal in all honesty.

Slivka …. 4 …. Same as Spectre, wasn't too involved.

Heckingbottom ….. Any manager who gets a win at the Rust Arena gets a :top marks

The fans … Give those fans a coconut for a noisy performance :thumbsup:

BILLYHIBS
07-04-2019, 06:48 AM
Any away win at the Rust Arena tempts me to give everybody a 10 but I'll resist :greengrin

Marciano …. 7 ….. No chance with the goal, but came and punched whenever he could and made one good save from lurch.

Gray …. 8 …. What a warrior, buffeted bashed and bruised and still had a good game.

Hanlon ….. 7 …. One of his better performances lately, made a couple of mistakes but also made some timely challenges.

McGregor … 8 …. What a Daz like performance that was, gave no quarter and I thought was actually quite clever against Ikpeazu grappling with him just enough to hold him up without being penalised … and that tackle ….. ****in' ave it !!! :thumbsup:

Stevenson …. 7 …. Battled away and made some good tackles, tireless as usual … so pleased for him to have a win at their place under his belt.

Milligan …. 7 ….. His first half hour was forgettable as he made a horrendous pass back and then lost his man at the goal, but to be fair to him he came back into the game and made a decent contribution after that.

Mallan ….. 7 ….. A wee bit generous this because in truth he didn't get involved enough, but he contributed to the winner and was so unlucky not to score a wonder goal.

Omeonga …. 8 …. Ran himself into the ground and won the ball a number of times in midfield, came into his own in the second half being central to our breakaways from defence, played a lovely cross that McNulty might have done better with .. super performance from the wee man.

Horgan … 9.5 …. Did really well to score from a pass that was nearly behind him for the first and his contribution to and finish for the winner was outstanding, nothing more needs to be said.

Kamberi … 7 …. Worked hard enough and played a nice ball for McNulty at the first goal, he really needs to improve his control though.

McNulty …. 8 …. Won a load of headers that just didn't drop to Hibs players, worked like mental and played a superb ball for the first goal, I liked his performance, though arguably he could have done better with his header in the 2nd half.

SUBS:

Bartley …. 5 …. Did what he could, but I agree with some others that perhaps his time is coming to an end as he seems out of Heck's plans and doesn't get up to speed quick enough when he comes on these days … still love the big guy though.

Spectre …. 5 …… Didn't really have to do a great deal in all honesty.

Slivka …. 4 …. Same as Spectre, wasn't too involved.

Heckingbottom ….. Any manager who gets a win at the Rust Arena gets a :top marks

The fans … Give those fans a coconut for a noisy performance :thumbsup:

Lurch!

:faf:

Jonnyboy
07-04-2019, 10:26 AM
Totally agree with your assessment.

Said on the Omeonga thread I'd defer to your match report and your motm suggestion. Glad you agreed he was the standout

✅ The wee man is some player

Lancs Harp
07-04-2019, 05:29 PM
Horgan was my MOTM, his best game in a Hibs shirt for me. We all know the lad has ability hopefully he can find a little more constistency, he was a thorn in Hearts side yesterday. Omeonga was as good as ever too, orchestrating those breaks in the second half when we looked dangerous everytime we broke. Sparky put a great shift in and the lads at the back defended manfully, the lump up front for Hearts (can never spell his name) is a real handful. Rocky looked assured produced a few good saves and commanded his box pretty well, something he doesnt always do. Milligan was a bit in and out for me, caused havoc with a misplaced pass in the first half, lost his man for the goal and looked totally shattered in the last 10 minutes, in a game like that I dont think he can get the 90 minutes. In between the previous points he was assured. A mixed bag for him. It was a game for SDG wasnt it? Blood and thunder, I bet he's nursing a few bruises today. Malan decent with a cracking attempt in the second half and Stevenson steady snuffing out any threat down our left.

Im a big fan of Marv but I too would agree that he looked off the pace yesterday, slow to read the game and strangely for Marv caught out of position a couple of times. Flo really needs to work on his first touch, had a bit of an in and out match. Minor points really on a great day for Hibs.

A word for Heck, we started slowly but impressed he saw this and changed things around a few times during the game something I always thought NL struggled with if plan A wasnt working.

The long drive home was accompanied by a very large smile and nice glass or two of wine I got home.

Great atmosphere, I was in the front row and spent most of the match sharing the space with numerous others, at times it was 3 deep :greengrin

BILLYHIBS
08-04-2019, 06:18 AM
✅ The wee man is some player

Will be even better when he masters the final killer pass

Hopefully we will get to see the wee man and Scott Allan together