PDA

View Full Version : Paul Heckingbottom

Northernhibee
06-04-2019, 01:29 PM
Actual born winner.

That’s no mean feat today. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

calumhibee1
06-04-2019, 01:30 PM
What a mighty good man.

GreenNWhiteArmy
06-04-2019, 01:31 PM
Started shocking. Same old in terms of derbys at tynie

From 30 mins in though we played well. Hearts will be furious 🤣🤣

We have one heck of a gaffer in charge.

Relentless

heretoday
06-04-2019, 01:31 PM
He's a hard nut. No messing about with the media or doing aeroplanes down the touchline. focussed on football and what a breath of fresh air that is.

Scottie
06-04-2019, 01:32 PM
Man crush alert hence the avatar :woohoo:

Keith_M
06-04-2019, 01:33 PM
One in the eye for the (very small number of) Hibbies that said he was useless and we'd get murdered today.

You know who you are!

makaveli1875
06-04-2019, 01:36 PM
most folk were underwhelmed when he came in but what a start , incredible to only be a couple of points off 3rd from where we were . Above those chumps with a win a tynie too

s2hart
06-04-2019, 01:37 PM
We were posted missing until they scored plus playing too deep, i missed what if we made a tactical change then we pushed on, considering what he's inherited he's kept pretty much the same starting 11 keeping it consistent, looking forward to him getting his own players in. Dream start.

MWHIBBIES
06-04-2019, 01:38 PM
Already achieved things Lennon couldn't.

hfc rd
06-04-2019, 01:38 PM
Can’t remember a Hibs manager having as good a start

ScottB
06-04-2019, 01:41 PM

I’m sure BT Sport said he’s the best since the 50’s...

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-04-2019, 01:41 PM
C Sutton won't send him a Christmas card.

rosco-hibee
06-04-2019, 01:42 PM
I think the main difference under Hecks is our defence are very much in tune with each other. Constantly covering each other, blocking runners, and putting it all on the line when it comes to challenging high balls and last minute tackles.

There’s enough quality up front to take care of the rest, McNulty, Horgan, Mallan and Omeonga would make the starting 11 of most SPL teams.

EH26
06-04-2019, 01:42 PM
time to go back upstairs Craigy Hecky has got your number

Northernhibee
06-04-2019, 01:50 PM
I think the main difference under Hecks is our defence are very much in tune with each other. Constantly covering each other, blocking runners, and putting it all on the line when it comes to challenging high balls and last minute tackles.

There’s enough quality up front to take care of the rest, McNulty, Horgan, Mallan and Omeonga would make the starting 11 of most SPL teams.
The team have clear, defined roles. It’s night and day.

The 90+2
06-04-2019, 01:50 PM
Dreamboat

The 90+2
06-04-2019, 01:51 PM
The team have clear, defined roles. It’s night and day.

Every player does what instructed with a smile on their faces. Incredible turnaround.

rosco-hibee
06-04-2019, 01:54 PM
Dreamboat

He’s my density, I mean...our destiny...

number9dream
06-04-2019, 01:56 PM
A very shaky 30 minutes, with Milligan all over the place and Mallan AWOL - but a great response, with the manager making tactical changes throughout rather than Levein's 'launch it and hope for the best' approach.
Bumbling BBC Brian asked him about the atmosphere and Hecky said he didn't even notice until full-time - "just focused on the pitch".

hibsbollah
06-04-2019, 01:57 PM
Dreamboat

He's hot stuff. Love muffin

Pedantic_Hibee
06-04-2019, 01:59 PM
Hecky 1v0 Specky

neil7908
06-04-2019, 01:59 PM
I'll be the first to admit I wasn't sure about him but felt we needed a change. Given out results before he joined, and the fact none of these are his players the results have been incredible.

I just wish we'd had a better draw in the cup!

GreenCastle
06-04-2019, 02:00 PM
When he arrived..

Can he make top 6 - done
Can he beat Hearts - done
Can he beat Hearts away - done
Can he make players improve - done

He has done amazing with someone else’s players. A depleted unbalanced squad.

2nd best start for a Hibs manager ever.

Amazing and shows class the way he acts compared to the dinosaur Levein.

ozwoody
06-04-2019, 02:01 PM
We were posted missing until they scored plus playing too deep, i missed what if we made a tactical change then we pushed on, considering what he's inherited he's kept pretty much the same starting 11 keeping it consistent, looking forward to him getting his own players in. Dream start.

One of the bigger changes was that he put Flo through the middle at the start of second half, then let him and Mcnulty interchange to keep centre half’s guessing. He also put Omeongo on edge of box when they had set pieces as he realised a lot of balls were being cleared to there and it helped us with fast breaks

Swedish hibee
06-04-2019, 02:04 PM
In Leanne we trust.

Wakeyhibee
06-04-2019, 02:05 PM
Tactically he gets it right with what he has. Very very pleased :)

ozwoody
06-04-2019, 02:07 PM

Hugh Shaw was the last one that had

A Hi-Bee
06-04-2019, 02:07 PM
All done with a pretty bare squad so he is doing something right for sure. We still have a few players to come back having been out for ages. We will need to invest for next season and if it was me, I would build a team around Rocky, Porteous, Scott Allen and McNulty. We need to push the boat out to get McNulty on a permy deal at Hibs.

WhileTheChief..
06-04-2019, 02:14 PM
Absolutely brilliant start to his Hibs career.

Challenge for Europe well and truly on, something I definitely didn’t expect when he got the job.

Great momentum going into into the last few games. Loving it.

HFCdeb
06-04-2019, 02:17 PM
Hecky 1v0 Specky

😂😂😂 laughed way too hard at this but I'm still buzzing with adrenaline.

Hecky is the real deal 🤟

Bangkok Hibby
06-04-2019, 02:24 PM
He certainly works his magic at half time. They come out a different team in the second half regularly now.

Doh Rae Me
06-04-2019, 02:26 PM
I'm beginning to warm to him.

Glory Lurker
06-04-2019, 02:28 PM
What will he achieve with a full season? Drooling at the thought.

jacomo
06-04-2019, 02:29 PM

So should we all. He’s done very overall so far.

Aldo
06-04-2019, 02:30 PM
Started shocking. Same old in terms of derbys at tynie

From 30 mins in though we played well. Hearts will be furious [emoji1787][emoji1787]

We have one heck of a gaffer in charge.

Relentless

No will be they are totally gutted! Potter looked totally distraught!

Get it right round you Potter and the yams!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 90+2
06-04-2019, 02:31 PM

He’s a brilliant coach. Brilliant. Beginning to warm to him 😂😂

Don’t even need the excuses of transfer windows own team etc hes come in and made us a team with a smile on our faces.

howdenthehibby
06-04-2019, 02:31 PM
One Game against Clair Litrine and he's got his dinosaur tactics sust already. We're onto a winner here guys.Cant wait till he adds a few signings lot his own.But he's also proving we have some decent players here already.A few tweaks by a manager that obviously knows what he's doing and were sorted.Looking forward to the games after the split and then on to next season , .Get yourself an S/T,Exiting times ahead methinks.

matty_f
06-04-2019, 02:47 PM
Best thing about today is that he could have changed the team to for in all our biggest players but instead he trusted the team that have been winning for him, and focused on going what we do well.

Lago
06-04-2019, 03:00 PM
Thank goodness he was appointed rather than Appleton :agree:

Mr Grieves
06-04-2019, 06:14 PM
Hands up, I was very sceptical about him getting the job but he's proved me wrong. Plus he's allowed us to update the Levein song

Real Emerald
06-04-2019, 06:25 PM
We have a very small squad especially in forward areas and especially taking our injuries into account. He has a limited choice of players and whilst we would like to see more swashbuckling football he can only work with what he has. It had been a master class in tactics to get the results he has since Lennon went. IF we can get decent recruitment in the summer and have a fuller squad I think he will do well. Really well done to all involved today GGTTH 👍

we are hibs
06-04-2019, 06:27 PM
Getting that warm fuzzy feeling I got when Stubbs and Mowbray were here..

Diclonius
06-04-2019, 06:28 PM
Good

stoneyburn hibs
06-04-2019, 06:33 PM
It's not just the results, the man comes across both professionally and knowledgeable.
Even getting interviewed after the result today he was obviously happy but remained professional.

What a start for him and Robbie, I'm looking forward to his signings in the summer.

bingo70
06-04-2019, 06:34 PM
Remember listening to the guys on BBC Scotland scoffing at his appointment. Bonner and someone else who’s name escapes me were dismissing him as he didn’t know Scottish Football and apparently showed we were clutching at straws.

Wish I could remember exactly what it was they were saying as it really pissed me off at the time.

bingo70
06-04-2019, 06:36 PM
It's not just the results, the man comes across both professionally and knowledgeable.
Even getting interviewed after the result today he was obviously happy but remained professional.

What a start for him and Robbie, I'm looking forward to his signings in the summer.

I was speaking to a couple of Jambos this morning and even they were admitting to feeling a bit conflicted as they really liked him. Comes across knowledgable, honest and respectful in the media.

Jamesie
06-04-2019, 06:36 PM
What will he achieve with a full season? Drooling at the thought.

The way things are going we might be lucky to see him at Easter Road for a full season unfortunately!

stoneyburn hibs
06-04-2019, 06:45 PM
I was speaking to a couple of Jambos this morning and even they were admitting to feeling a bit conflicted as they really liked him. Comes across knowledgable, honest and respectful in the media.

Definitely an amiable guy, great appointment.

I can say that now, even though it is still early in the hot seat for him.

It wouldn't have even been a remit for him to get us into the top 6, we're flying now.

Onion
06-04-2019, 06:55 PM
Looks like Leanne has worked her magic again.

MOTM starts the next month with a crucial away win as tough venue. Not too shabby :greengrin:thumbsup:

Wakeyhibee
06-04-2019, 06:56 PM
The number of times he's changed things be it players, positions, set ups etc...

I was always puzzled by some of our previous incumbents choices, this is very positive and encouraging. 'Mon the Heck !!

greenpaper55
06-04-2019, 07:02 PM
All this done with around thirteen first team players, we have been hammered with injuries but it never seems to matter we are so well organised, onward and upwards.

wookie70
06-04-2019, 07:06 PM
It's been a pretty remarkable start. I thought we would definitely get a managerial bounce such was the mess Lennon left us in and the way he destroyed the squad's confidence and started picking teams destined to lose. Lennon could have done what Heck has done at least a month before he exited by simply picking as close to the same team week on week and trying to build some trust among players and between them and the manager. Playing SDG might have been all that was needed to start the healing and keep it simple and understandable until we started to win again. He never though, he spat the dummy and we got worse.

Heck has been brilliant but when you look at it most of the changes have been what we would expect every coach to be able to do. Organise, make a plan the players understand that can take points from the given opposition and reward performance with selection. Add in some great and often subtle tactical changes when it isn't working, a few good signings after Lennon left and before he arrived, and all of a sudden we are flying. All from a threadbare squad missing Boyle, Porteous and Efe. Amazing what a simple game it is when you can get players playing as a team in a shape and positions that suit them.

I liked Heck from the first interview as he sounded exactly what we needed. He is Stubbs with more tactical nous for me and if he has the same eye for a player then we really could be on to a winner. I loved when the second goal went in today. No aeroplanes or cupping ears, he saw there was a potential backlash and he was calmly giving instructions to the nearby players. That is a true professional. He'll do his celebrating after the final whistle and make sure it is about the warriors on the pitch and their adoring fans. He is Hibs class just as Stubbs was and if he gets anywhere near the massive backing Lennon got we could be in for a great ride next year. I hope he keeps the run going to get 4th or better and a place in Europe, as he still, unbelievably, has fans to win over. It would be so nice if we were all shoulder to shoulder with him, season tickets in hand come the start of next season with a few exiting signings and the knowledge we had a manager that knows how to manage a team and get the best from them.

Hannah_hfc
06-04-2019, 08:43 PM
It's been a pretty remarkable start. I thought we would definitely get a managerial bounce such was the mess Lennon left us in and the way he destroyed the squad's confidence and started picking teams destined to lose. Lennon could have done what Heck has done at least a month before he exited by simply picking as close to the same team week on week and trying to build some trust among players and between them and the manager. Playing SDG might have been all that was needed to start the healing and keep it simple and understandable until we started to win again. He never though, he spat the dummy and we got worse.

Heck has been brilliant but when you look at it most of the changes have been what we would expect every coach to be able to do. Organise, make a plan the players understand that can take points from the given opposition and reward performance with selection. Add in some great and often subtle tactical changes when it isn't working, a few good signings after Lennon left and before he arrived, and all of a sudden we are flying. All from a threadbare squad missing Boyle, Porteous and Efe. Amazing what a simple game it is when you can get players playing as a team in a shape and positions that suit them.

I liked Heck from the first interview as he sounded exactly what we needed. He is Stubbs with more tactical nous for me and if he has the same eye for a player then we really could be on to a winner. I loved when the second goal went in today. No aeroplanes or cupping ears, he saw there was a potential backlash and he was calmly giving instructions to the nearby players. That is a true professional. He'll do his celebrating after the final whistle and make sure it is about the warriors on the pitch and their adoring fans. He is Hibs class just as Stubbs was and if he gets anywhere near the massive backing Lennon got we could be in for a great ride next year. I hope he keeps the run going to get 4th or better and a place in Europe, as he still, unbelievably, has fans to win over. It would be so nice if we were all shoulder to shoulder with him, season tickets in hand come the start of next season with a few exiting signings and the knowledge we had a manager that knows how to manage a team and get the best from them.

Top post [emoji1319][emoji1319][emoji1319]

truehibernian
06-04-2019, 08:53 PM
Top dress sense too, nice wee herringbone number when doing the press, oozes class - Levein looked like a jakey from Hunter Square shadow boxing his demons :greengrin

He's very like Stubbs in touchline mentality and behaviour, he doesn't panic or rant - always positive. Really impressive and a real 'manager'.

cleanyman
06-04-2019, 08:54 PM
A stunning start

Crab apple
06-04-2019, 08:56 PM
Top dress sense too, nice wee herringbone number when doing the press, oozes class - Levein looked like a jakey from Hunter Square shadow boxing his demons :greengrin

He's very like Stubbs in touchline mentality and behaviour, he doesn't panic or rant - always positive. Really impressive and a real 'manager'.

He comes across very well in his interviews and that must also translate into his dealings with the players.

Northernhibee
06-04-2019, 09:01 PM
Today was controlled. Didn’t work to begin with but no ranting or raving, positive changes made and positive reaction. We then made changes to protect that lead.

There was no luck in play today, just a beautifully stage managed show of how to win a big game.

Bravo.

matty_f
06-04-2019, 09:07 PM

Great post.

There have been some hugely encouraging signs for me, already.

He is a good coach, he's clear about what he wants and how to get the players to understand and put that into practice. Today he mentioned one or two players getting time in the development side to "learn their roles" before pitching them back into the first team.

I get the impression that he knows how to make best use of all the set up at East Mains, from GPS trackers to video analysis. He uses his support team well and respects their knowledge/expertise - he's mentioned already not rushing players back and undoing the work of the physio/fitness guys, for example.

He changes set up to impact games so even if his plan A isn't working out, there's a plan B and plan C to fall back on.

The results have been terrific, one defeat against the best team in the country since he got here, with a team missing players who would be expected to feature regularly in the first team.

Tug Wilson
06-04-2019, 09:13 PM

Absolutely this

Danderhall Hibs
06-04-2019, 09:14 PM

:aok: good point about the goal celebrations - he was whistling to get their attention and pass on instruction.

angus hibby
06-04-2019, 09:16 PM
Remember listening to the guys on BBC Scotland scoffing at his appointment. Bonner and someone else who’s name escapes me were dismissing him as he didn’t know Scottish Football and apparently showed we were clutching at straws.

Wish I could remember exactly what it was they were saying as it really pissed me off at the time.

Richard Gordon was the one I heard dismissing him. Think it was at the time the job was between Appleton and Heckingbottom and he couldn’t understand why we were looking at “that type of coach in England”. He was almost laughing at the imminent appointment of one of them.

Nice to see our head coach conducting himself properly on the touchline too. There’s no doubt some of his little tactical tweaks won’t pay off sometimes but they’re working at moment and certainly worked today! Long may it continue.

hibsdaft
06-04-2019, 09:26 PM
He knows how to change a game and how to see a game out.

hibsbollah
06-04-2019, 09:30 PM
Richard Gordon was the one I heard dismissing him. Think it was at the time the job was between Appleton and Heckingbottom and he couldn’t understand why we were looking at “that type of coach in England”. He was almost laughing at the imminent appointment of one of them.

Nice to see our head coach conducting himself properly on the touchline too. There’s no doubt some of his little tactical tweaks won’t pay off sometimes but they’re working at moment and certainly worked today! Long may it continue.

:agree:it was Gordon. I heard it. He sounded like a bitter opinionated nobhead, and that was when I was a bit underwhelmed by the appointment myself.

truehibernian
06-04-2019, 09:32 PM

Nice guy but clearly has foggy vision when the Dons had Porterfield, Skovdahl, Roy Aitken, Mark McGhee and Craig Brown :greengrin

Tug Wilson
06-04-2019, 09:32 PM

I think that his ability to make these tactical changes is all down to hard work at the training centre. So many of the players say the big difference is the amount of work they do on tactics.

By contrast it looks like Hearts spend a lot of time on their routines at corners. Their only tactic is to try and win corners.

ancient hibee
06-04-2019, 11:09 PM
When you watch on TV you get a better idea of what he’s doing to change things.It’s very noticeable that if he moves a player to another area that’s where the player plays and no messing.Today for example Stevenson hardly ever went forward and stuck to his defensive duties and when he switched Kamberi and McNulty for a while they both got into it well.

Ozyhibby
07-04-2019, 12:17 AM
Heckingbottom said he made a tactical change at 25mins after they scored but he didn’t want to say what it was. Anyone know what it was? I watched on TV and missed it.

Ozyhibby
07-04-2019, 01:02 AM
Heckingbottom said he made a tactical change at 25mins after they scored but he didn’t want to say what it was. Anyone know what it was? I watched on TV and missed it.

I’ve worked it out.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vV0lXrFGUzU

Ozyhibby
07-04-2019, 01:11 AM

I’ve worked it out.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vV0lXrFGUzU

Mixu62
07-04-2019, 02:11 AM
Paulo Heckingbottom
Nobody can stop him
Na na na na

Not sorry.

Libby Hibby
07-04-2019, 05:53 AM

He asked Mallan to drop deeper and play alongside Milligan whilst pushing Omeonga a bit further up the field and more centrally. Is what I noticed.

capitals_finest
07-04-2019, 07:52 AM
Today proved that we have a very decent manager here. An intelligent manager that conducts himself very well. Craig Levein has has a lot more experience with our players than with Paul but it hasn't taken our manager long to suss out what Levein is all about. Plus to get a result on that diddy sized pitch on his first visit is a great sign of things to come.

I loved Lennon when he was at the club but now it is Paul's reign and I'm loving it just as much. Brilliant to see them all celebrate like that at the end, he will need to make changes but I have great confidence that he will pick out the right players for us as he understands the game and players attributes very quickly by the look of it.

Just wait till we get these hammer throwers back at Easter Road and even better next season when we have new additions.

Paul 1 Levein 0

GGTTH

HibbyScott
07-04-2019, 07:52 AM
He asked Mallan to drop deeper and play alongside Milligan whilst pushing Omeonga a bit further up the field and more centrally. Is what I noticed.

Also I think around that time, Flo came more central and McNulty was moved out to wide left

proud_and_green
07-04-2019, 08:42 AM
Hecky is the real deal. Really good interview with him in yesterday's Times. He admits himself he is still learning about the game up here and that has been a challenge - can't wait till he is fully up to speed. I think he will be here for three or four seasons and in that time we will win a cup and routinely be in Europe (starting this season ;-)

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Frazerbob
07-04-2019, 09:10 AM
I noticed the ‘1 Neil Lennon’ guys from Parkhead were at the game (boy with the tricolour head band and his pals). They looked as though they were enjoying themselves.

WhileTheChief..
07-04-2019, 09:37 AM
Hibs fans enjoying beating Hearts?

Who’d have thought it!

hibsbollah
07-04-2019, 09:42 AM
I remember reading they are the Third Force in Scottish Football. So it's a very impressive result beating them.

Diclonius
07-04-2019, 10:00 AM
One thing me and my Dad noticed about the post match interviews was the fact that despite beating your rivals at their ground Hecky's post match demeanour and interview was still very calm and measured. I think he may have caused Levein to implode purely by being the opposite of him; a Hibs manager who just gave him his first ever derby defeat at Tynie and doesn't even seem to care that much, and doesn't react to any of his posturing.

He's like Calderwood's good twin from a parallel universe.

SRHibs
07-04-2019, 10:20 AM
So far, as a manager, I prefer Heckingbottom hands down, although you can tell he’ll never get caught up in the emotion, and it feels as if Hibs will always be a job for him. Not that that’s a bad thing, but I can’t deny that I often enjoyed a bit of the NL theatre, and his overt passion.

Danderhall Hibs
07-04-2019, 10:43 AM
So far, as a manager, I prefer Heckingbottom hands down, although you can tell he’ll never get caught up in the emotion, and it feels as if Hibs will always be a job for him. Not that that’s a bad thing, but I can’t deny that I often enjoyed a bit of the NL theatre, and his overt passion.

If we lose and he remains calm some folk will be up in arms.

Onceinawhile
07-04-2019, 10:59 AM
If we lose and he remains calm some folk will be up in arms.

Let's hope we never find out!

Keith_M
07-04-2019, 11:01 AM
I noticed the ‘1 Neil Lennon’ guys from Parkhead were at the game (boy with the tricolour head band and his pals). They looked as though they were enjoying themselves.

I'm glad to hear they've cheered up a bit, and got over their man-love for Lennon.

Tug Wilson
07-04-2019, 12:26 PM
Also I think around that time, Flo came more central and McNulty was moved out to wide left

He made the tweak to midfield just after we equalised. Mallan deeper, Omeonga pushed forward no doubt to run that big centre half they proclaim to be a great DM all over the place.

Switching Flo and Sparky came at half time.

Can't believe the comment that Hibs will only be a job to Heckingbottom and somehow making out that Lennon was more passionate about the club. I see no evidence of that. Do not mistake composure and decorum as a lack of passion. When Horgan scores the winner Hecky goes nuts like every other Hibee but only for a few seconds. Then he remembers that he is the manager not just a fan and is back on the touchline getting instructions over to the players. Proper manager.

Dashing Bob S
07-04-2019, 12:29 PM
I like his composure. Lennon brought passion and self belief back to the club and was good for us at the time. Paul has different qualities but they will be equally effective.

SRHibs
07-04-2019, 12:32 PM
He made the tweak to midfield just after we equalised. Mallan deeper, Omeonga pushed forward no doubt to run that big centre half they proclaim to be a great DM all over the place.

Switching Flo and Sparky came at half time.

Can't believe the comment that Hibs will only be a job to Heckingbottom and somehow making out that Lennon was more passionate about the club. I see no evidence of that. Do not mistake composure and decorum as a lack of passion. When Horgan scores the winner Hecky goes nuts like every other Hibee but only for a few seconds. Then he remembers that he is the manager not just a fan and is back on the touchline getting instructions over to the players. Proper manager.

Why can’t you believe it? Different managers have different traits. I don’t think his composure is a negative thing in the slightest, and I do think he will be less emotionally invested in things than Neil Lennon - I think NL got overly invested in certain narratives, to his detriment. You can’t help but be impressed by Hecky’s read of the game, and his knowledge.

Proper manager is exactly how I’d describe him! 👍

neil7908
07-04-2019, 01:34 PM
Whilst Lennons passion was great when we were winning, it played a big part in his downfall when things started going south.

As others have said, the manager should be a professional who is thinking only of the team and how to get a result.

We all loved the airplane and hand cupping gestures as it was meant to show Lennon cared. I don't want to claim that isn't the case but you can't deny it was all about him and that passion became stubornness.

The Modfather
07-04-2019, 01:48 PM
Really looking forward to life under Heckingbottom. Think he will be exactly what we need and a bit of a re-set for the club. The right man to take on the upward curve that has stalled.

I also think the club will get back to their approach to recruitment and sports science etc under Stubbs.

Early days but I suspect it will be a case of enjoying what we’ve got with Heckingbottom while we’ve got him before other clubs start to take notice of the job he’s doing.

Hibbyradge
07-04-2019, 01:54 PM
Paulo Heckingbottom
Nobody can stop him
Na na na na

Not sorry.

:hilarious

:aok:

Golden Bear
08-04-2019, 07:19 AM
A very positive article on our new Manager's influence on the team since his arrival. When they put it like that, the art of winning seems elementary.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47847002

:flag:

1van Sprou7e
08-04-2019, 08:28 AM
A very positive article on our new Manager's influence on the team since his arrival. When they put it like that, the art of winning seems elementary.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47847002

:flag:

They got that points per game stat well wrong, it's 2.5 not 1.8

If we were to somehow keep that up over the course of the season we'd be comfortably in 1st

Gloucester Hibs
08-04-2019, 08:41 AM
One thing me and my Dad noticed about the post match interviews was the fact that despite beating your rivals at their ground Hecky's post match demeanour and interview was still very calm and measured. I think he may have caused Levein to implode purely by being the opposite of him; a Hibs manager who just gave him his first ever derby defeat at Tynie and doesn't even seem to care that much, and doesn't react to any of his posturing.

He's like Calderwood's good twin from a parallel universe.

A brilliant summary! :not worth

Alex Trager
08-04-2019, 08:57 AM
:aok: good point about the goal celebrations - he was whistling to get their attention and pass on instruction.

Meanwhile we were going radge as ****

andyf5
08-04-2019, 09:32 AM
Good article in The Times: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/paul-heckingbottom-matchdays-are-my-favourite-i-like-this-heat-this-chaos-this-pressure-xhlbrzj05

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Since452
08-04-2019, 09:57 AM
Leeann's managerial appointments have been excellent. Not only that but "parted ways" with them when it needed to happen. Simply outstanding. As For Heckingbottom he's done nothing but impress me so far. Intelligent, articulate and the players clearly love playing for him. The future looks very bright indeed.

Borderhibbie76
08-04-2019, 10:12 AM
Already achieved things Lennon couldn't.Yup wins at Livi, Perth and Tiny all achieved with a threadbare squad...cant wait to see what he can do after a full summer window

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
08-04-2019, 10:18 AM
We have a very small squad especially in forward areas and especially taking our injuries into account. He has a limited choice of players and whilst we would like to see more swashbuckling football he can only work with what he has. It had been a master class in tactics to get the results he has since Lennon went. IF we can get decent recruitment in the summer and have a fuller squad I think he will do well. Really well done to all involved today GGTTH [emoji106]Hes so much more clued up tactically than Lennon...always seemed to me that was Lennons biggest weakness...2 semi finals at Hampden, Tynie Tiny too he constantly got it wrong. Lennons use of subs was also questionable and he regularly got starting 11s badly wrong. Hecky seems to be much much more tactically astute than Lennon imo

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

EI255
08-04-2019, 10:24 AM
I just think the guy is a breathe of fresh air, exactly what we need and have needed for years. Though it never worked out at Leeds, and was given zero time, they must have saw something that attracted them to Paul Heckingbottom. Loving every minute of him being at Hibs and let's make the most of it while we can! He seems fearless too and his press conferences are always engaging and enthusiastic. Paul, you are THE man!

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

Stevie Reid
08-04-2019, 10:43 AM
Bookmarked this a few weeks ago just in case it came in handy. Some magic comments on pages 8, 9 and 10 in paricular:

https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/181373-heckingbottom-appointed-hibs-manager/&page=8

Hibernian Verse
08-04-2019, 11:02 AM
Bookmarked this a few weeks ago just in case it came in handy. Some magic comments on pages 8, 9 and 10 in paricular:

https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/181373-heckingbottom-appointed-hibs-manager/&page=8

Personal favourite;

"this no mark loser is going to be a ****ing disaster for them, you just know it :laugh: must be tough times tonight being a Hibs ***** pretending to be excited by this."

It's turned out to be a ****ing disaster for THEM

Tug Wilson
08-04-2019, 11:23 AM

Some great predictions of impending disaster on there. Love the one about CL schooling PH. How'd that work out.

sean04
08-04-2019, 11:39 AM
His ability to change the game is brilliant. Tweaking formations or moving certain players to influence the game. Players all look happy and confident aswell

IWasThere2016
08-04-2019, 11:43 AM

Post of the day - cheers for that :faf: :thumbsup:

Hibzbollah
08-04-2019, 12:02 PM
Good article in The Times: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/paul-heckingbottom-matchdays-are-my-favourite-i-like-this-heat-this-chaos-this-pressure-xhlbrzj05

The article is behind a paywall. Do you have the text?

Jones28
08-04-2019, 12:24 PM

Oh dear, it would appear to have been pulled 😂😂😂

Hibernian Verse
08-04-2019, 12:39 PM
Oh dear, it would appear to have been pulled 😂😂😂

How embarrassing is that? Deleting a thread because it's being discussed on Hibs.net?

Hibzbollah
08-04-2019, 12:42 PM

This is a great interview (part 1). PH is the kind of manager who is always setting new and more challenging targets. Good for us while he stays.

Paul Heckingbottom wanted to be a football managerfrom the age of 12. This remarkable ambition in a young Yorkshire boy surelyhelps explain why the recently-installed Hibernian head coach, who holds twouniversity degrees in sports coaching, feels set apart from most other coachesor managers you meet.
“I always thought I’d be a coach or manager when Iwas younger,” Heckingbottom told me over two hours of conversation recently.“When I was very young — aged 12 or 13 — I’d watch football and think, ‘I’dlike to be a coach.’ I just saw myself doing it. I’d watch a manager and think.‘what would I do in that situation?’
“Over time I met some great coaches, but alsoothers who I didn’t respect, who sickened me, to be honest. My rule is, if youfeel strongly about coaching, then stick to it, and surround yourself withpeople that you want and respect. And get rid of the dickheads who don’tdeserve to be in football.”
Heckingbottom is a man of robust views whosereputation was not so long ago flying high in English football, which makes hima fascinating figure at Easter Road. After nearly 400 games as a decent butaverage player he decided to fulfil his coaching ambition, and took himself offto Leeds Beckett University to do a BSc and then a masters, both in sportscoaching.
“I wanted my CV to stand out,” he says. “There areloads of guys like me who have played 400 or 500 league games and who hold theFA qualifications. So I was purely selfish; I wanted to have something more.
“That said, two months into my first degree Ithought, ‘wow, this is really eye-opening, I’m going to get a lot out of thisin terms of my coaching processes.’ Every module we did, I could relate it backto my coaching experiences, even back to under-14s. I wanted to ask myself:‘how do I make this course relevant to my job as a coach?’ Once you start doingthat, start digging a little deeper, you find ways to make yourself better.”
Did such studies really help in the day-to-day andthen 90-minute fervour of being a football manager? “Yes, absolutely,” he says.“It helped me to look at the structure of a game. It helped me understand whatwould be my perfect performance. Plus, it helped me understand me. It gives youmore clarity. You are making less decisions off the cuff because you are notreacting to defeats or wins; you have a bigger picture. In a game, you willalways have instinctive thought processes. But, through academia or research,you can also shape your thought processes, to help you be better prepared.
“Around the English FA there is a lot more academianow, a lot more literature, a lot more research. It is filtering into thecoaching qualifications, and it is the same in countries like Germany andSpain. So, to me, it is important. Listen, going to university is not foreveryone, but nowadays if you want to take any sort of qualification — even infootball — you are probably going to have to do some research at some point.You need to be stretched. Your thinking has to be challenged.”
Heckingbottom says he was never sure how high infootball coaching he would rise — at one stage he felt happy being an under-14scoach — but that, once he got a taste of first-team management, he wanted moreand more of it. He is also clear about the differences between a coach and amanager.
“When I was looking around the academies in EnglandI saw some fantastic coaches there. These are guys whose brains I would pick,who had great knowledge of football, and knowledge of young footballers, whoknew how to get their points across. Many of them had no playing background,but their knowledge of people and of teaching was very impressive, and I reallytook a lot from these figures over the years.
“But the thing is, some of them might struggle toget their information across to the professionals at the top end of the game.At the top end, the game is all about winning, not so much education.
“Me, I like the pressure and chaos of it. Thematchdays are my favourite bits as a coach. I quite like dealing with players,even the ones who can be a pain in the backside. I like being with the players.
“Understand what your skill-set is and be the bestat it. I thought I would be a youths coach: I thought that was for me. But thenI took charge of under-18s, then 21s, and then the first team at Barnsley. Itwas when I became a manager, working with the first team and making thedecisions, that I thought, ‘I like this. This is for me. I like this heat, thischaos, this pressure of dealing with players.’
“You have to understand yourself as a person beforeyou can deal with certain situations. You might have to be calm, but sometimesyou might have a row with a player. And sometimes rows make you feel better.I’m happy with what I get angry at. I’ve never had any regrets about sayingsomething that has upset someone. So long as I’d made it clear what sort ofthings upset me as a manager.

Hibzbollah
08-04-2019, 12:43 PM
Part 2

“For example, if you are a player, and you don’twork hard, and you don’t show for the ball, and you don’t have respect, well,you’re probably going to have problems with me. But if you show all of thosethings, then you’ve got a right chance. And if you make a mistake, I’ll workwith you until the end of each day to try to make you better.”
Had his career not taken a sudden — some sayundeserved — nosedive at Leeds United last season, Heckingbottom would benowhere near Easter Road right now. He was cited back then as the next bigthing, a young manager who had worked wonders at Barnsley, his home-town team,taking them to promotion via the League One play-offs on a relative shoestring,while rebuffing a number of offers from bigger clubs.
But then Leeds came for him in February 2018,making Heckingbottom the Elland Road club’s ninth head coach in five years, andduly chewing him up and spitting him out after four months and 16 games incharge. It was a sobering episode.
“My time had run at Barnsley, for lots of differentreasons,” he insists. “Listen, it was my club — I’m still a Barnsley fan andalways will be — but my time had finished there. I’d do the same again tomorrow[leave for Leeds] if it came up again.
“But what the Leeds experience certainly did wasmake me more cautious about taking a job. At the end of my time at Barnsley Iwas thinking, ‘right, next club that comes calling, I’m off’, regardless ofwhat message I get from that club. Now, that’s not really a very cleverposition to adopt.
“But I just felt I’d have gone to Leeds,regardless. It is a fantastic club and a good opportunity for any manager. But itwas difficult to do my homework on it. They had a brand new owner, things likethat.
“I’d had so much influence at Barnsley, so muchmore involvement, so many roles I did which maybe I shouldn’t have been doing.But Leeds was totally different. Leeds was an experience for me in other ways:the chaos of it, the sheer size of the club. I loved all of that. But I quicklyrealised that I’d have to fight for what I thought was right, or my departurewould be inevitable.
“It was stuff off the pitch at Leeds, not on thepitch, that had to be sorted out. One hundred per cent. I’m pleased with thecontribution I made there. When I look at what has been done there since, Ithink I made a lot of right decisions at Leeds.
“I spoke to the owner after I left, and I know whyhe made the change. He got the chance to bring in a manager [Marcelo Bielsa]with that CV, which is something I haven’t got yet. They were craving instantsuccess. But I know for a fact that the groundwork we laid has helped in thatsuccess.”
When he sees what Bielsa has achieved with Leedssince, how does he feel? “I’m jealous,” Heckingbottom says, smiling. “Jealousof the money he has spent and the backing he has had. Of course I am. That iswhat you want as a coach. But my remit was totally different: it was to cutbudgets, to cut costs.
“But anyone who has been a manager, and has beensacked, will surely say that they are the better for it. I am better now thanwhen I left Barnsley last year, without a doubt.”
Suddenly, from flying high, Heckingbottom wasbinned and out of football, though by no means unwanted. The circumstances thatfollowed his Leeds exit made it happily fortuitous that Hibs should land him astheir new coach in February.
“I had offers almost right away, but Leeds made memore cautious, it made me think more about my next club. The first few monthsout were great for reflecting on things, but then the point comes when you missit. You miss the chaos and the decision-making.
“When Hibs got in touch with me, I had time to readup and gather my thoughts. I looked at what Hibs wanted to achieve, and where Ithought I could add value. I did a lot of research on this club and I likedwhat I saw. So here I am.”
The challenge, too, was in Heckingbottom filling inthe large blank page in his mind about the Scottish game.
“It has been a real challenge for me, because Ihave gone from the Championship in England where I knew everything inside out —every manager, every player, every club, the pattern of every game — to asituation where I didn’t know the managers, their tactics, their substitutionoptions, etc. Having that knowledge was something I had taken for granted. Now,at Hibs, I’ve really had to learn fast and throw myself into it head first.
“In terms of Scottish football, it has been allabout learning and taking in as many games as possible. I didn’t know a lot,being honest. But I am really enjoying it.”

andyf5
08-04-2019, 04:02 PM

I see you got it. Really impressed with what he says.

Northernhibee
08-04-2019, 04:12 PM
I see you got it. Really impressed with what he says.

I thought that far from being a poor game, the Killie game was fascinating and two very good teams who had both been set up perfectly against the other. It was a stalemate as opposed to a damp squib.

08-04-2019, 04:54 PM
Great article, thanks for posting it andyf5 & Hibzbollah.

Bishop Hibee
08-04-2019, 09:08 PM
Hecky is a big fan of cycling as a means to maintain fitness and improving ones core I heard today. I had to look up what a spin class was, not how to play roulette apparently. He had an instructor working with the younger players recently and intends to get the first team doing similar. I’ve no idea how common or not this is at football clubs but a manager with fresh ideas has to be a good thing. Unless it’s Cathro and goalposts, or lack of them.

Garymcl
08-04-2019, 09:24 PM
I’ve noticed a number of times during games when there’s a break he wastes no time in talking to individual players getting more info to them the guy is growing on me week by week and as someone said earlier he is just a breath of fresh air like most hibbys I’ve already renewed for next season just think Hecky will have some good signings lined up canny wait Ggtth

ian cruise
10-04-2019, 03:44 PM
Hecky is a big fan of cycling as a means to maintain fitness and improving ones core I heard today. I had to look up what a spin class was, not how to play roulette apparently. He had an instructor working with the younger players recently and intends to get the first team doing similar. I’ve no idea how common or not this is at football clubs but a manager with fresh ideas has to be a good thing. Unless it’s Cathro and goalposts, or lack of them.

Spin and track cycling, if performed with the right intensity, are excellent for cardio, stamina and strength. He actually is beginning to remind me of Dave Brailsford from British Cycling/Team Sky with is measured approach and attention to detail. Would love if it turned in to a similar level of success.

ancient hibee
10-04-2019, 03:52 PM
Spin and track cycling, if performed with the right intensity, are excellent for cardio, stamina and strength. He actually is beginning to remind me of Dave Brailsford from British Cycling/Team Sky with is measured approach and attention to detail. Would love if it turned in to a similar level of success.

Minus suspicious parcels of course.:greengrin

Haymaker
10-04-2019, 03:58 PM

And is non impact as well.

H18 SFR
10-04-2019, 05:01 PM
I’ve noticed a number of times during games when there’s a break he wastes no time in talking to individual players getting more info to them the guy is growing on me week by week and as someone said earlier he is just a breath of fresh air like most hibbys I’ve already renewed for next season just think Hecky will have some good signings lined up canny wait Ggtth

He is a proper student of the game and as such clearly has an eye for detail. I'm so excited at the future with this guy in charge.

Northernhibee
10-04-2019, 06:25 PM
He is a proper student of the game and as such clearly has an eye for detail. I'm so excited at the future with this guy in charge.

He was tipped as a potential future EPL manager by some before his ill fated spell at Leeds.

kevinc
10-04-2019, 09:50 PM

Great read, thank you.