PDA

View Full Version : The Tynecastle conundrum

Diclonius
05-04-2019, 07:21 PM
Now that it's nearing twelve hours until kickoff, it's time to think about how the game is going to go.

This is a ground that we haven't won at in almost six years, and this is by no means against particularly good Hearts teams. We couldn't beat them when they were in administraton. The 2016 cup winners weren't able to secure a win there. During our run of nine games in a row, all the Tynecastle results were draws. Our amazing all-conquering run last season was ended by a defeat there. Even Neil Lennon couldn't beat an Ian ****ing Cathro team there. On a personal level, I have a horrendous record at Tynecastle. I've seen us win twice in nineteen games and score eight goals. EIGHT. The majority of my Hearts away experiences are watching the ball bounce everywhere, anywhere, but the Hearts goal, where it either sails over harmlessly or somehow defies the laws of physics to not enter the net.

If we fail to win this weekend then that makes it eleven games without a win there, so the big question is; how do we turn this around and can we expect that to happen tomorrow? Hearts are just above us in the league, but they've been underperforming lately and we've massively reduced the gap between the two teams albeit mostly against teams that are now in the bottom six. We have the form, they have the record.

Why have previous managers there failed? Fenlon's tenure was defined by his (extremely poor) record against Hearts, albeit he did manage to secure our last win there amidst a sea of defeats to nil (and one 0-0). Butcher had one insipid defeat to a team of kids during our slide to relegation. Stubbs was very unlucky - we took the game to them and combined this with a steel in midfield many sides didn't have before. We arguably outperformed them in all three of his games and of course there's the famous 2-2. Lennon's approach was to match them in anti-football, which got us three 0-0s and two defeats.

How should Hecky go about this? To be honest, I think the style of play we've grown accustomed to probably has the best shot - close them down quickly, win the ball in midfield and break with pace. There's no point trying to outmuscle them as they'll always win that battle, but we have a team who can compete in the middle of the park to an extent. I've been impressed by how he's talked about the derby in the past week, with all signs suggesting he's looking forward to this game and knows how to approach it.

So what do we think is going to happen? I've noticed a far more measured approach on the board here compared to last time, when many were confident we were going to "pump them" and were "due a win". Unfortunately being "due" a win doesn't make it any more likely as much as we might want it to. But I certainly feel slightly more confident than I usually do going to that godforsaken ground, though I'm sure that'll end when the whistle goes and the nerves kick in. I reckon it'll be a tight game, 0-0 or 1-0 either way. Hopefully to us.

HibeeHibernian4
05-04-2019, 07:31 PM
Do what Stubbs did, essentially.

But we also weren't smart enough at the back even in his games.

Stevenson with the worst defensive clearance of a header I have ever seen, it falls to Djoum and he thunders the ball in.

Nobody picking up Nicholson for the second, Paterson swings a long ball in and he buries it.

As good as the comeback was, we made it very difficult for ourselves with ***** defending. Keep it tight at the back and make it count when we have the ball. None of this anti-football Lennon stuff. It's been embarrassing hearing Hibs fans go "hoof" when Hearts do it, only for us to do it five seconds later.

Frazerbob
05-04-2019, 07:54 PM
We wouldn’t be talking about this had certain officials not cheated us.

Bobo
05-04-2019, 07:55 PM
hear7s are a horrible football team and do everything to pull their opponents down to their level. They've thrived on doing it in derbies for decades :rolleyes:

We need to match them physically before we can get the better of them by playing football, rarely do you see an open entertaining Derby but when you do, more often than not Hibs will come out the winners

JimBHibees
05-04-2019, 08:11 PM

Agree three come to mind Oli goal, Stevenson not being sent off in first half by Collum two footer on Mcpake, Forster offside probably worst decision ever.

Billy Whizz
05-04-2019, 08:16 PM
Agree three come to mind Oli goal, Stevenson not being sent off in first half by Collum two footer on Mcpake, Forster offside probably worst decision ever.

We’re due a break

B.H.F.C
05-04-2019, 08:23 PM
I think Heckingbottom has kept things pretty simple most of the time and I don’t think that’ll really change tomorrow.

Omeonga showed against Malumbu the other night that you don’t need to be 6ft to compete. I hope we just remember about the football this time.

wookie70
05-04-2019, 08:31 PM
We haven't got the players Stubbs had but we should try to have a similar approach. Milligan can sit and protect but I want Horgan, Omeonga and Mallan buzzing around playing short passes and thinking forward not sideways. We need to win now to have a chance of Europe so a draw isn't really worth much. Take the game to them and play on the deck as much as we can.

Jones28
05-04-2019, 09:01 PM
We haven't got the players Stubbs had but we should try to have a similar approach. Milligan can sit and protect but I want Horgan, Omeonga and Mallan buzzing around playing short passes and thinking forward not sideways. We need to win now to have a chance of Europe so a draw isn't really worth much. Take the game to them and play on the deck as much as we can.

Yepp. This is the same for me. Do not resort to hoofball as Lennon did.

davhibby
05-04-2019, 09:02 PM
Yeah Lennon tried to beat them at their own game. We should play the way we want and try and get running at their defence

erin go bragh
05-04-2019, 09:34 PM
Now that it's nearing twelve hours until kickoff, it's time to think about how the game is going to go.

This is a ground that we haven't won at in almost six years, and this is by no means against particularly good Hearts teams. We couldn't beat them when they were in administraton. The 2016 cup winners weren't able to secure a win there. During our run of nine games in a row, all the Tynecastle results were draws. Our amazing all-conquering run last season was ended by a defeat there. Even Neil Lennon couldn't beat an Ian ****ing Cathro team there. On a personal level, I have a horrendous record at Tynecastle. I've seen us win twice in nineteen games and score eight goals. EIGHT. The majority of my Hearts away experiences are watching the ball bounce everywhere, anywhere, but the Hearts goal, where it either sails over harmlessly or somehow defies the laws of physics to not enter the net.

If we fail to win this weekend then that makes it eleven games without a win there, so the big question is; how do we turn this around and can we expect that to happen tomorrow? Hearts are just above us in the league, but they've been underperforming lately and we've massively reduced the gap between the two teams albeit mostly against teams that are now in the bottom six. We have the form, they have the record.

Why have previous managers there failed? Fenlon's tenure was defined by his (extremely poor) record against Hearts, albeit he did manage to secure our last win there amidst a sea of defeats to nil (and one 0-0). Butcher had one insipid defeat to a team of kids during our slide to relegation. Stubbs was very unlucky - we took the game to them and combined this with a steel in midfield many sides didn't have before. We arguably outperformed them in all three of his games and of course there's the famous 2-2. Lennon's approach was to match them in anti-football, which got us three 0-0s and two defeats.

How should Hecky go about this? To be honest, I think the style of play we've grown accustomed to probably has the best shot - close them down quickly, win the ball in midfield and break with pace. There's no point trying to outmuscle them as they'll always win that battle, but we have a team who can compete in the middle of the park to an extent. I've been impressed by how he's talked about the derby in the past week, with all signs suggesting he's looking forward to this game and knows how to approach it.

So what do we think is going to happen? I've noticed a far more measured approach on the board here compared to last time, when many were confident we were going to "pump them" and were "due a win". Unfortunately being "due" a win doesn't make it any more likely as much as we might want it to. But I certainly feel slightly more confident than I usually do going to that godforsaken ground, though I'm sure that'll end when the whistle goes and the nerves kick in. I reckon it'll be a tight game, 0-0 or 1-0 either way. Hopefully to us.
2-0 down at the PBS and looking at 115 . Well worth the six years of no wins there . We score and don’t even get the goal ( Olly ) It’s hard to play 11 asides on a basketball court/pitch .
3-0 for us tomorrow,same as the Millennium derby 🤘🇳🇬

Hibernia&Alba
05-04-2019, 09:38 PM

True, but we rarely perform there, whilst Hearts play like their lives depend on it. Our record at Tynecastle is poor. As always, we will need to match them for intensity; that's the key at Tiny.

Pagan Hibernia
05-04-2019, 09:49 PM
It’s true that they’ve got a crap five a side sized pitch which affords absolutely no space or time on the ball. That doesn’t explain our terrible record there when countless other visiting teams, and not just the old firm either, manage to win at Tynecastle

Hibernia&Alba
05-04-2019, 09:50 PM
It’s true that they’ve got a crap five a side sized pitch which affords absolutely no space or time on the ball. That doesn’t explain our terrible record there when countless other visiting teams, and not just the old firm either, manage to win at Tynecastle

Their raise their game when we visit, often looking a completely different team. We have to be expect that and be ready to match them.

JimBHibees
05-04-2019, 10:10 PM
True, but we rarely perform there, whilst Hearts play like their lives depend on it. Our record at Tynecastle is poor. As always, we will need to match them for intensity; that's the key at Tiny.

The vast majority of the games have been very tight with the majority draws. Thought we were going to win the last one there until Flo got sent off. Need to be brave and as someone says we are more than due a break of the ball though you need to earn that. Quietly confident for tomorrow and think mcnulty will be a big player. Get the first goal and they will panic.

EskbankHibby
05-04-2019, 10:29 PM
Hecky’s stock is on the up, Levein not so much.

I like the fact that if we beat them he (Levein) will be under immense pressure to leave but we will see it as a work in progress as we are moving forward under Hecky. Levein is an anchor persistently dragging them down.

It’s an uncomfortable truth for them but their results against us define them, it’s why Neilson got his jotters.

No doubt a terrible game but “I would love it if we beat them”.

monktonharp
05-04-2019, 11:00 PM
some seem to forget, that the gorgie mob go out there with a particular mindset which is inbred. don't loose to Hibs. that has worked over the years. Dear Paul...….tell the Hibernian players to go out with a real plan to come home with 3 points please. nothing else is good. signed, anon

Real Emerald
05-04-2019, 11:47 PM

Their whole team is built around playing at Tinycastle. They need to be physical, close players down and lump it into the box at every possible opportunity on that wee pitch. They have always had the long throw experts to make sure they can do it from throw ins too. It doesn’t work on bigger pitches and they need to be aggressive for it to work at Tinycastle. When they play us they always get fired up. We need to handle that, stay focused, tight and take our chances.

We have to take the game to them and not get dragged into a war of attrition as that’s what they want to make their Tiny tactics work.

Tornadoes70
06-04-2019, 12:24 AM

A small crap five a side sized pitch they shouldn't now have as they *****ed millions upon millions of pounds on players they couldn't afford during criminal romanov's reign of which the sfa knew and refused to act upon!

They should have been liquidated.

Baader
06-04-2019, 12:39 AM
It'll be long balls from Berra up to the striker. Levein just doesn't change. I'd like to see us swarm their defence. Run at them. Too often lately we change our play there and it doesn't suit.

Stuart93
06-04-2019, 06:10 AM
Hearts will be closing us down at the back not giving us any time to pass it about which usually results in us hoofing it forward for the hearts defence to mop up easily. We need to take chances today and try keep the ball on the deck.

GlesgaeHibby
06-04-2019, 06:46 AM
Hecky’s stock is on the up, Levein not so much.

I like the fact that if we beat them he (Levein) will be under immense pressure to leave but we will see it as a work in progress as we are moving forward under Hecky. Levein is an anchor persistently dragging them down.

It’s an uncomfortable truth for them but their results against us define them, it’s why Neilson got his jotters.

No doubt a terrible game but “I would love it if we beat them”.

:agree: Completely bizarre mentality they have. Neilson had them 2nd in League when he left.

I always want to win against that lot, but if we were losing/drawing Derbies and sitting 2nd in the league I'd take that and certainly wouldn't be calling for the manager to get his jotters.

They are a weird bunch.

J-C
06-04-2019, 07:07 AM
Be competitive all over the park but don't forget we are a footballing team, get the ball down and play football. Unfortunately the game will be played at 100mph as usual, we need composure and belief.

Green Cabbage 7
06-04-2019, 07:11 AM
Got to win the individual battle first, hunt in packs and get the second ball. It all has to be high tempo, they don’t allow us to settle!

RoYO!
06-04-2019, 07:11 AM
Run at them. Draw fouls and shoot on sight.

It’s time we scored a raker to win this from 25-30yds.

Feel free to re-post this later! :D

Hibernia&Alba
06-04-2019, 07:16 AM
Be competitive all over the park but don't forget we are a footballing team, get the ball down and play football. Unfortunately the game will be played at 100mph as usual, we need composure and belief.

It can be hard to play on that small pitch, as there isn't any room. We will have to move the ball quickly today, in order to create space. If we can do that, our better technique should become apparent.

green day
06-04-2019, 07:18 AM
I find it hard to add anything to the pre derby cliches already posted on this one :thumbsup:

Borderhibbie76
We haven't got the players Stubbs had but we should try to have a similar approach. Milligan can sit and protect but I want Horgan, Omeonga and Mallan buzzing around playing short passes and thinking forward not sideways. We need to win now to have a chance of Europe so a draw isn't really worth much. Take the game to them and play on the deck as much as we can.Couldn't agree more....pressure is off us a wee bit now top 6 is secured and it's pretty much win or bust as far as Europe is concerned so just go for it

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

SChibs

We certainty have the man for the job in Stevie Mallan

Brightside
06-04-2019, 07:38 AM

It’s a few yards smaller than Easter road.

Steve20
06-04-2019, 07:39 AM
We certainty have the man for the job in Stevie Mallan

He better be shooting better than he was on Wednesday then.

MacGruber
06-04-2019, 08:42 AM

We do need to win now for a chance of Europe.
IMO
Lose and we finish 6th
Draw we finish 5th
Win we finish 4th

For europe we need to win today and a Celtic cup win. 3rd went with the Killie draw.

I think we will get beat. I hope to be wrong

SChibs
06-04-2019, 08:45 AM
He better be shooting better than he was on Wednesday then.

I can only remember the shot he had in the 2nd half which was on target at least

Since452
06-04-2019, 08:57 AM
We beat them 1-0 at Tynie last season. Oli Shaw. We ken it, they ken it, Patsy Kensit.

eastcoasthibby
06-04-2019, 09:07 AM
Its all about hardwork, trying to play on the ground, our shape is key today and where Kamberi is played I think we need to change and go 2 up top with Kamberi playing wider either left ir right but much higher up the park pushing Omeonga a bit wider left, I think if we sit too deep like we have against Livi and Killie in the first halves of the laat 2 games we are asking for trouble. Their real weakness is having players go at them on the ground at the back we have players with good feet ie Horgan, Omeonga, Mallan and McNulty who if we can get them the ball in the last third we will get good chances, no high ball stuff its qhat makes Soutar and Berra good defenders ....also if Ikpeazu is playing he will try and play on the left side of our defence against Lewis and Hanlon ...so they need to man up today for a hard shift !
Its about us today and how much commitment and determination we have.
Suppose you cannot ignore the fact that there is hardly a derby goes by when the referee doesnt play a big part and I think today will be the same, I just hope any big decision is in our favour here for once !!!

Hibernia&Alba
06-04-2019, 09:08 AM
We beat them 1-0 at Tynie last season. Oli Shaw. We ken it, they ken it, Patsy Kensit.

We never get a break against them. Numerous shocking decisions in their favour down the years, with Sparky's free kick in 2013 that was a yard over the line, probably the worst. I still can't believe it.

Diclonius
06-04-2019, 09:20 AM
The one decision we've had in our favour in recent years is their disallowed goal in October. That's it.

JimBHibees
06-04-2019, 09:26 AM
It’s a few yards smaller than Easter road.

Looks shorter as well as narrower.

NadeAteMyLunch!
06-04-2019, 09:31 AM
The one decision we've had in our favour in recent years is their disallowed goal in October. That's it.

The last minute goal? That was the correct decision when you watched it back. Was defo offside and got in Efe’s way so he wasn’t able to clear it off the line. Admittedly it’s the sort of decision they would usually get in derbies

jacomo
06-04-2019, 09:43 AM
Hearts will be closing us down at the back not giving us any time to pass it about which usually results in us hoofing it forward for the hearts defence to mop up easily. We need to take chances today and try keep the ball on the deck.

:agree:

Tynecastle is a tight pitch but at least it isn’t a tattie field anymore. We really should try to impose our style of play on them.

JimBHibees
06-04-2019, 09:43 AM
The last minute goal? That was the correct decision when you watched it back. Was defo offside and got in Efe’s way so he wasn’t able to clear it off the line. Admittedly it’s the sort of decision they would usually get in derbies

Agree definitely offside as with you surprised it was given.

Aldo
06-04-2019, 09:54 AM
Discipline and hard work and don’t get drawn into their hoofball tactics!

Uche will be their main threat and I expect him to start regardless of what Potter has said.

We need to be up for this, play our game and feed McNulty as much as possible.

Mallan needs to shoot on sight as I think their keeper is a weak link.

Go out there and DO IT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matty_f
06-04-2019, 09:56 AM
Get in about the ref early doors and draw attention to all the fouls - a free yellow cards and the game goes in our favour.

noz
06-04-2019, 09:57 AM
Looks shorter as well as narrower.

Tynie - 100 x 64m
ER - 105 x 68m

So quite a bit of a difference.
Its the smallest in the SPL I just read.

matty_f
06-04-2019, 10:00 AM
Tynie - 100 x 64m
ER - 105 x 68m

It's big enough to play football on though.

JimBHibees
06-04-2019, 10:06 AM
Discipline and hard work and don’t get drawn into their hoofball tactics!

Uche will be their main threat and I expect him to start regardless of what Potter has said.

We need to be up for this, play our game and feed McNulty as much as possible.

Mallan needs to shoot on sight as I think their keeper is a weak link.

Go out there and DO IT!

Need to stand up for ourselves but not do anything stupid. Agree about their goalie. Need Horgan to be on a good day as he can be a threat in taking people on and getting fouls. Mallan due a free kick goal

Zazu62
06-04-2019, 10:08 AM
Tynie - 100 x 64m
ER - 105 x 68m

Smallest in Scotland isn’t it? The top 4 leagues anyway?

Aldo
06-04-2019, 10:12 AM
Need to stand up for ourselves but not do anything stupid. Agree about their goalie. Need Horgan to be on a good day as he can be a threat in taking people on and getting fouls. Mallan due a free kick goal

Agreed. Stand strong and don’t get drawn into anything stupid!

Horgan is a good one Jim. Has the potential to b a game changer but needs to be on his game!

noz
06-04-2019, 10:13 AM
Possibly, I found a website said it was one of the smallest in senior football.

mutley
06-04-2019, 10:21 AM

This.

We all remember the Griffiths free kick, and then Oli’s goal chalked off too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Joe6-2
06-04-2019, 01:33 PM
No conundrum any more! Yahoo!!

One Day Soon
06-04-2019, 01:48 PM
Hecky just tore them a new conundrum.

xyz23jc
06-04-2019, 01:52 PM
Hecky just tore them a new conundrum.

Just heard Preston & Rolf.....Sounds like it! Sair yin boays, sair yin! :greengrin

Diclonius
06-04-2019, 02:07 PM
**** you conundrum

JimBHibees
06-04-2019, 02:09 PM
Agreed. Stand strong and don’t get drawn into anything stupid!

Horgan is a good one Jim. Has the potential to b a game changer but needs to be on his game!

Confucius say :greengrin :flag:

Aldo
06-04-2019, 02:12 PM
Confucius say :greengrin :flag:

[emoji106]

tamig
06-04-2019, 02:34 PM

Just I believe. The bare minimum.

Criswell
06-04-2019, 02:40 PM
Job done. Rode our luck a little but who cares?

jgl07
06-04-2019, 02:41 PM
It’s big enough for hoofball!

Eyrie
06-04-2019, 04:56 PM
It’s big enough for hoofball!

:agree:

If Wembley is the home of football, then the Tynie PBS is the hole of hoofball.

Kavinho
06-04-2019, 05:09 PM

Top predicting