PDA

View Full Version : Festival Cup

Hibernian32
04-04-2019, 05:14 PM
Does anyone remember we used to play hearts every year and it was called the festival cup? Im sure one year it was at ER then the next year at the PBS. Can anyone clarify this?

Also think it would be a good idea to kick the season off with a derby ( community shield type game ) at Murrayfield during the festival can only be a money spinner for both clubs. If there was such a game like the festval cup and I'm no just wrong why was it stopped?.

SChibs
04-04-2019, 05:17 PM
Did Robbie Neilson tell you to post that?

Hibernian32
04-04-2019, 05:20 PM
Probably

Here’s Lucy!
04-04-2019, 05:20 PM

:confused:

Another potentially good thread ruined.

Billy Whizz
04-04-2019, 05:24 PM
Does anyone remember we used to play hearts every year and it was called the festival cup? Im sure one year it was at ER then the next year at the PBS. Can anyone clarify this?

Also think it would be a good idea to kick the season off with a derby ( community shield type game ) at Murrayfield during the festival can only be a money spinner for both clubs. If there was such a game like the festval cup and I'm no just wrong why was it stopped?.

If I can remember correctly it was our young team that was playing, maybe someone can confirm

LancashireHibby
04-04-2019, 05:30 PM
If I can remember correctly it was our young team that was playing, maybe someone can confirm
It began with full strength teams but gradually became fringe players after a couple of years, I think.

Jumbo
04-04-2019, 05:36 PM

did it happen more than twice ? vaguely remember it, another of the long lost pre season competitions, the Skol trophy, the Tom Hart Cup and Whyte & Mckay trophy, Isle of Man Cup, any more ?

bigwheel
04-04-2019, 05:39 PM
did it happen more than twice ? vaguely remember it, another of the long lost pre season competitions, the Skol trophy, the Tom Hart Cup and Whyte & Mckay trophy, Isle of Man Cup, any more ?

Think it was only twice...also second year didn't happen during the festival - they struggled to find a date...was September if iirc..

Both relatively first team games.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

heretoday
04-04-2019, 05:41 PM
East of Scotland Shield in the sixties. We saw some good games too. There were usually plenty of goals.

The 90+2
04-04-2019, 05:43 PM

Was 2 years. Ended up a reserve match especially the second game as We made Europe I think. I thought it was a good idea and promoted through the actual festival and the likes of the airport, airlines trams etc would be a good source of income. I went to both games.

The 90+2
04-04-2019, 05:44 PM
Think it was only twice...also second year didn't happen during the festival - they struggled to find a date...was September if iirc..

Both relatively first team games.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Second was reserves I’m sure.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/3626524.stm

delbert
04-04-2019, 05:49 PM
Second was reserves I’m sure.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/3626524.stm

We played for the Tom Hart trophy one pre season over the course of a week at Easter Road and Tynecastle in a four team competition with Hearts, Coventry City and Man City - Coventry won it, I wonder who would come out on top now !

SChibs
04-04-2019, 05:52 PM
:confused:

Another potentially good thread ruined.

It was a joke because he described it as a money spinner that's all. It's hardly going to ruin a thread

Hibernian32
04-04-2019, 05:59 PM
I'm glad I wasn't just thinking it up in my head. Wonder if there is a appetite for it I told my mates they thought it never existed and said why would such a idea be thrown out. A full murrayfield plus potential TV money could be the difference to getting 1 or 2 better players over the line.

Here’s Lucy!
04-04-2019, 06:13 PM
It was a joke because he described it as a money spinner that's all. It's hardly going to ruin a thread

Fair enough, apologies. :aok:

SChibs
04-04-2019, 06:16 PM
Fair enough, apologies. :aok:

No problem. I probably should have made it a bit clearer

EHZERO7
04-04-2019, 06:17 PM
We played for the Tom Hart trophy one pre season over the course of a week at Easter Road and Tynecastle in a four team competition with Hearts, Coventry City and Man City - Coventry won it, I wonder who would come out on top now !

That was the Skol Festival trophy that you are talking about.

Tom Hart Trophy we played Hearts one season and there was a fair bit bother after Jackie McNamara bundled in a late winner :flag:

w pilton hibby
04-04-2019, 06:24 PM
I'm glad I wasn't just thinking it up in my head. Wonder if there is a appetite for it I told my mates they thought it never existed and said why would such a idea be thrown out. A full murrayfield plus potential TV money could be the difference to getting 1 or 2 better players over the line.

According to Wikipedia it only ran in 2003 and 2004. Hearts won both games.

Attendance was 10,090 at Easter Road in 2003 and 7,282 in 2004 at Tynecastle.

Think it would be a bit of a stretch to fill Murrayfield.

The 90+2
04-04-2019, 06:25 PM

Nae idea what that was likes I was talking Bobby Williamson mate 👍

Viva_Palmeiras
04-04-2019, 06:26 PM
Was going to extend to include teams from cities that Edinburgh is twinned with Munich, Florence, Nice. On a rotating basis

Kiev, Krakow, Vancouver and some Chinese city missed the cut.

Here’s Lucy!
04-04-2019, 06:30 PM
No problem. I probably should have made it a bit clearer

No, I knew why you'd said it.

My fault for being arsey.

G B Young
04-04-2019, 06:38 PM
Like most pre-season fixtures it was c**p and quickly scrapped. Most fans didn't see the need for yet another derby and were glad to see the back of it.

Best pre-season fixture I can remember was held away from ER in Essen back in 2005 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Hibs becoming the first British team to play in Europe. A great away trip and one that actually had the feel of something significant about it. We beat Rot-Weiss Essen 3-0 IIRC with game viewed through an all-day drinking haze...

Iggy Pope
04-04-2019, 06:39 PM
That was the Skol Festival trophy that you are talking about.

Tom Hart Trophy we played Hearts one season and there was a fair bit bother after Jackie McNamara bundled in a late winner :flag:

I think we played Dunfermline for the Tom Hart Trophy the second year but it disappeared after that.
Wonder if the HHT have the trophy?

Iggy Pope
04-04-2019, 06:42 PM
Like most pre-season fixtures it was c**p and quickly scrapped. Most fans didn't see the need for yet another derby and were glad to see the back of it.

Best pre-season fixture I can remember was held away from ER in Essen back in 2005 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Hibs becoming the first British team to play in Europe. A great away trip and one that actually had the feel of something significant about it. We beat Rot-Weiss Essen 3-0 IIRC with game viewed through an all-day drinking haze...

Great fanzone outside with a punk band playing covers on the back of a lorry. Marvellous trip. We had Ireland that pre-season too and then Dnipro. By October I was in rehab.

Frazerbob
04-04-2019, 06:54 PM

The games couldn’t fill half of ER or Tynie. Total waste of time. We have 4 Derbies (most) seasons as it stands. That’s more than enough.

However, we should market the club better to tourists in general.

tamig
04-04-2019, 06:59 PM
I think we played Dunfermline for the Tom Hart Trophy the second year but it disappeared after that.
Wonder if the HHT have the trophy?

Think that was in 85. The night before Scotland played Australia away in the play off for the 86 World Cup. I got my nose broken in a scuffle after the game.

ancient hibee
04-04-2019, 07:15 PM
The games played in a 10/12 year period by an Edinburgh Select team year about at ER and Tynecastle against an English team were excellent and raised a good bit of money for the Edinburgh Hospitals radio services which broadcast match commentaries.

Fergos
04-04-2019, 07:16 PM
An Edinburgh select from Hibs, them and Meadowbank played Bayern at tiny castle in the mid 80s, sure it was listed as a Festival Cup match.

GGTTH

Iggy Pope
04-04-2019, 07:37 PM
The games played in a 10/12 year period by an Edinburgh Select team year about at ER and Tynecastle against an English team were excellent and raised a good bit of money for the Edinburgh Hospitals radio services which broadcast match commentaries.

Interesting tests against sides that were giants in the English game at the time like Newcastle, Burnley and Wolves. Faced with the best of both Edinburgh giants too.
Love all the history involved in this, the programmes alone are worth the reading.

worcesterhibby
04-04-2019, 07:39 PM
Pre-season Game against Hellas Verona would be awesome. Get Hendo back at ER. Market it as part of the festival. get the Leith Italian community on board. choice of Free pizza or haggis supper with your ticket.

LaMotta
04-04-2019, 07:43 PM

Absolutely zero chance of a full house at Murrayfield for a pre season friendly derby.

Its a game that wouldn't mean anything to anyone.

ancient hibee
04-04-2019, 07:49 PM
Interesting tests against sides that were giants in the English game at the time like Newcastle, Burnley and Wolves. Faced with the best of both Edinburgh giants too.
Love all the history involved in this, the programmes alone are worth the reading.
Yes and the “home” six players often.

included a youngster.Either 58/59 it was Jim Scott who scored a fabulous goal against Newcastle when he dribbled from half way,rounded the keeper and rolled the ball in past the full backs on the line(both Irish internationals).Highlights were on Scotsport that night and they showed the goals up to 3-2 then Arthur appeared on screen and said”and Scott scored a fourth before the end”.Probably ran out of film!

Bobo
04-04-2019, 08:21 PM
For anyone interested, here's the programmes from the 2 Tom Hart Memorial Trophy games and the Skol Festival Trophy Tournament as well as the Whyte and MacKay Challenge Cup game v Leeds.

There's been loads of friendlies and Testimonials over the years, I've always enjoyed the games against English & Foreign opposition.

Billy Whizz
04-04-2019, 08:23 PM
As the OP said, must’ve opportunity to do something during the Festival

04-04-2019, 08:28 PM
It began with full strength teams but gradually became fringe players after a couple of years, I think.

Good one. Fringe players in the Festival Cup.

Jumbo
04-04-2019, 08:33 PM
For anyone interested, here's the programmes from the 2 Tom Hart Memorial Trophy games and the Skol Festival Trophy Tournament as well as the Whyte and MacKay Challenge Cup game v Leeds.

There's been loads of friendlies and Testimonials over the years, I've always enjoyed the games against English & Foreign opposition.

If I remember rightly, Jackie McNamara scored a last minute winner in first Tom Hart Trophy game

eastterrace
04-04-2019, 08:35 PM
East of Scotland Shield in the sixties. We saw some good games too. There were usually plenty of goals. yes and plenty trouble , mind that lot coming around to the shed at Easter road near the end of the game and attacking us as they use to open the gates 15mins from the end. Bunch o animals

Jumbo
04-04-2019, 08:38 PM
yes and plenty trouble , mind that lot coming around to the shed at Easter road near the end of the game and attacking us as they use to open the gates 15mins from the end. Bunch o animals

Remember that happening in mid seventies, bottles narrowly missing my head and ended up standing in goalmouth next to John Brough along with others to escape !

Iggy Pope
04-04-2019, 08:39 PM
yes and plenty trouble , mind that lot coming around to the shed at Easter road near the end of the game and attacking us as they use to open the gates 15mins from the end. Bunch o animals

Happily the 1980s sorted that situation right out. They prefer their numbers a tad more favourable now before thinking about ‘attacking’.

Bobo
04-04-2019, 08:42 PM
If I remember rightly, Jackie McNamara scored a last minute winner in first Tom Hart Trophy game

We won 1-0 but I can't remember who scored, getting auld :rolleyes::greengrin

Onceinawhile
04-04-2019, 08:42 PM
Festival Cup was utter pish. 7.5k for a guff friendly and that was with prices kept really low.

LancashireHibby
04-04-2019, 09:13 PM
Good one. Fringe players in the Festival Cup.
A happy accident, that one!

tamig
04-04-2019, 09:15 PM

Colin Campbell took a sore one against Joe Corrigan in one of the Skol games.

Ringothedog
04-04-2019, 09:29 PM

It was the old seated enclosure which was mostly families even back then. They weren’t that brave as all they had to do was go a further 10 yards and it would have been the old main terracing they tried to enter and if they had they would have got battered upside down. They were cowards when numbers were equal

Speedway
04-04-2019, 10:02 PM
Perhaps we could re-launch the ‘Tom Hart Trophy’ this summer as the ‘Petrie Dish’ and sell merchandise like ‘Budge Fudge’ which you could buy with ‘Leann’s Loyalty Points’?

Phil MaGlass
05-04-2019, 09:48 AM
I actually think we should look into a wee pre season tournament at ER with hertz, and maybe 2 foreign teams, like say, Groningen and Rot Weiss Essen.
Malmo or AEK.

The 90+2
05-04-2019, 11:35 AM
Perhaps we could re-launch the ‘Tom Hart Trophy’ this summer as the ‘Petrie Dish’ and sell merchandise like ‘Budge Fudge’ which you could buy with ‘Leann’s Loyalty Points’?

The Friendly Friendly we’re all friends match?

The 90+2
05-04-2019, 11:36 AM
I actually think we should look into a wee pre season tournament at ER with hertz, and maybe 2 foreign teams, like say, Groningen and Rot Weiss Essen.
Malmo or AEK.

Would be amazing. Then we all go around the grounds of the teams we played for the next 3 seasons. Novelty wouldn’t wear off that way.

Unfortunately the new league cup format has scuppered that chance.