PDA

View Full Version : Respect the rivalry

Tyler Durden
04-04-2019, 12:31 PM
Hibs and Hearts have both posted new videos under the # respecttherivalry.

Co-ordinated attempt to avoid misbehaviour on Saturday. Can see why we’ve done it but it’s not gonna be popular. All a bit cringe IMO, especially the cliched close ups!

WeeRussell
04-04-2019, 12:31 PM
Judging by the amount of negative comments on Facebook regarding this video release ahead of Saturday, I thought it’s bound to rack up a few pages on here.

Personally I think it’s good the club are doing something proactive and that it’s the right message to be promoting.

WeeRussell
04-04-2019, 12:32 PM
TD has scarily posted his thread at exact same time... can they please be merged?

Billy Whizz
04-04-2019, 12:32 PM
Just watched Hibs one, thought it was great

Oscar T Grouch
04-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Decent video and proof in the comments sections as to why I was right to quit Twitter.

calumhibee1
04-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Hearts away, lav it.

hibee_girl
04-04-2019, 12:41 PM
Just watched Hibs one, thought it was great

:agree:

After last Sunday’s events in Glasgow it was maybe requested of both clubs.

Juice-Terry
04-04-2019, 12:45 PM
Can anyone supply a link? Cheers.

HibeeHibernian4
04-04-2019, 12:52 PM
Can anyone supply a link? Cheers.

Hibs' one: https://twitter.com/HibernianFC/status/1113769432793395200

Hearts' one: https://twitter.com/JamTarts/status/1113769610325757952

JohnM1875
04-04-2019, 01:10 PM
Can't really see how anyone can have complaints over it. And it maybe is needed.

The past few derbies have become way more toxic than usual. Can never understand how some folk can't be passionate and show support without turning into a bit of a bell. It genuinely is a small minority in our case though!

Buzzing for Saturday.

Hibernian Verse
04-04-2019, 01:15 PM
Big Uche: "I've played in loads of derbies, and scored against Leeds" :confused: Well done mate.

offshorehibby
04-04-2019, 01:16 PM
I thought it was an excellent we video :flag:

SlickShoes
04-04-2019, 01:18 PM
The people it's aimed at won't get that it's a video to tell them to stop being idiots and running on the pitch.

It's a good move from both clubs but I doubt it will do much other than make us both look proactive.

we are hibs
04-04-2019, 01:24 PM
Big Uche: "I've played in loads of derbies, and scored against Leeds" :confused: Well done mate.

Did he actually say that? :hilarious

I've been blocked by hearts twitter for about 5 years now so haven't seen it.

HibeeHibernian4
04-04-2019, 01:27 PM
Can't really see how anyone can have complaints over it. And it maybe is needed.

The past few derbies have become way more toxic than usual. Can never understand how some folk can't be passionate and show support without turning into a bit of a bell. It genuinely is a small minority in our case though!

Buzzing for Saturday.

Some of it is drug-related, a fair portion of it is Hearts' re-emergence of a Loyalist, bigoted young team, and a lot of it is absolutely absurd policing and logistics.

Hearts' Section N used to be in line with the edge of the penalty box, there was a good 20-30 yards between the Hibs fans and the Hearts fans over in that corner. This photo shows what I mean:

They rebuilt the stand, and in order to try (and fail) to make their capacity 20,000+, Section N is now right down by the corner flag. In every derby from December 2017 onwards, Section N, which is where Hearts' knuckle-dragging, mini Rangers element of their support congregate, is now considerably closer to the away end:

They also have the section on the other side, I think it's G. It's full of daft wee laddies being unquestionably groomed by older SDL types into behaving like huns and supporting Tommy Robinson etc. This is why the atmosphere is poisonous, they have brought sectarianism back into the Edinburgh Derby and Budge has turned a blind eye to it. This loyalist group now wave Union Jacks, not just ones in the colour of Hearts. It's an embarrassment to Edinburgh.

In the last Hearts vs Celtic game, I noticed that the lower blocks of either side of the Roseburn were cordoned off. Seems incredibly harsh that the away fans are being punished with a reduced allocation for the neddish, sectarian behaviour of the "Gorgie Boys" that Budge doesn't have the guts to tackle.

I'd be interested to know if anybody has a ticket in Lower H or M this time, my guess is that nobody will as they'll be cordoned off. If Budge was serious about eradicating this problem, the entire population of Section N and G lower would be banned or relocated away from a clear problem area of that ground.

None of the above, by the way, is meant to condone Hibs fans' behaviour. While not sectarian or bigoted, it's been less than exemplary at times with coins, punches and fans running on the pitch pre game to try and attack the Wheatfield. :rolleyes: *****, cheap gear has a lot to answer for that, in my opinion.

The 90+2
04-04-2019, 01:30 PM

😂😂😂

G B Young
04-04-2019, 01:31 PM

On first watching, the Hearts one seems to be more about drumming a superiority mentality when it comes to the derby.

G B Young
04-04-2019, 01:33 PM

Yes, what was that supposed to mean?! Is it some sort of weird dig at Heckingbottom being manager of Leeds at that time??

Hibbyradge
04-04-2019, 01:34 PM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with either of those videos.

It's a shame that people need to be told not to behave like the fannies they actually are.

The 90+2
04-04-2019, 01:34 PM
Yes, what was that supposed to mean?! Is it some sort of weird dig at Heckingbottom being manager of Leeds at that time??

Highlight of his career probably?

JimBHibees
04-04-2019, 01:38 PM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with either of those videos.

It's a shame that people need to be told not to behave like the fannies they actually are.

Totally agree rivalry with respect is exactly what needs to happen by both sets of fans. From the people who get so hammered out their face to the wee 14 year olds with their flags trying to develop a mini old firm game. Well done by both clubs.

Hibernian Verse
04-04-2019, 01:40 PM
Highlight of his career probably?

Must be, because last time I checked Cambridge Utd v Leeds isn't a derby.

****ing Moron.

I'd also like to add that Ryan Porteous has scored more goals this season than him.

HibeeHibernian4
04-04-2019, 01:42 PM
Totally agree rivalry with respect is exactly what needs to happen by both sets of fans. From the people who get so hammered out their face to the wee 14 year olds with their flags trying to develop a mini old firm game. Well done by both clubs.

Supporters of Hibernian (the Latin word for Ireland) have every justification to fly Irish flags at any game they wish.

JimBHibees
04-04-2019, 01:46 PM
Supporters of Hibernian (the Latin word for Ireland) have every justification to fly Irish flags at any game they wish.

Not for a sole purpose of goading other fans while at the same time lobbing coins at other teams supporters.

Jim44
04-04-2019, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=Hibernian Verse;5756214]Big Uche: "I've played in loads of derbies, and scored against Leeds[QUOTE]

Bit of the Billy Browns, there.:greengrin

JimBHibees
04-04-2019, 01:49 PM

Garry Monk was Leeds manager at the time.

HibeeHibernian4
04-04-2019, 01:52 PM
Not for a sole purpose of goading other fans while at the same time lobbing coins at other teams supporters.

If other fans get goaded by a tricolour, then that is because they are anti-Irish, supremacist bigots.

It's not our fault if other people are offended by our proud, immigrant heritage. It's on them.

The coin stuff obviously is bad, but is separate from the flag debate.

pacoluna
04-04-2019, 01:52 PM
Rather than #respect the rivalry I prefer #ignore the bigotry.

HibeeHibernian4
04-04-2019, 01:56 PM

Both racist bigotry (both sets of fans) and sectarian bigotry (Hearts' young team).

Spike Mandela
04-04-2019, 02:15 PM
On first watching, the Hearts one seems to be more about drumming a superiority mentality when it comes to the derby.

I agree. There will never be mutual respect whilst the likes of Levein is there.

The Modfather
04-04-2019, 02:20 PM
If other fans get goaded by a tricolour, then that is because they are anti-Irish, supremacist bigots.

It's not our fault if other people are offended by our proud, immigrant heritage. It's on them.

The coin stuff obviously is bad, but is separate from the flag debate.

Sounds like your trolling, but folk who bring a flag, be it a Tricolour or a Union Jack, solely for the purposes of winding people up are as much morons as the folk who get offended by a flag.

Since452
04-04-2019, 02:23 PM
Hibs and Hearts have both posted new videos under the # respecttherivalry.

Co-ordinated attempt to avoid misbehaviour on Saturday. Can see why we’ve done it but it’s not gonna be popular. All a bit cringe IMO, especially the cliched close ups!

Sorry Hibs but I'll never respect anything involving Hearts. I'll respect us beating them but thats it. Horrible, horrible club.

SRHibs
04-04-2019, 02:30 PM
Sounds like your trolling, but folk who bring a flag, be it a Tricolour or a Union Jack, solely for the purposes of winding people up are as much morons as the folk who get offended by a flag.

So it begins.
#FlagDebate57

HibeeHibernian4
04-04-2019, 02:33 PM

I'm being entirely sincere, no 'trolling' on my part.

Hibs are a club found by Irishmen, named after Ireland and are of Irish heritage. One of our most famous supporters is James Connolly.

You have decided that the purpose of bringing one to a game is for 'winding up' opposition fans, I believe that it's celebrating Hibs' roots, and that morons (Rangers and a small section of Hearts) react to it because they are bigoted.

You know why they react? Because our very existence is an affront to them. They (Rangers) sing 'the famine is over, why don't you go home?', because they genuinely believe that 'Irish Scots' shouldn't be here, and that they ruined Scotland.

If reminding them that we're not going anywhere and we're proud of our history is 'winding them up', then let's just shut the club down, tbh.

HibeeHibernian4
04-04-2019, 02:33 PM
So it begins.
#FlagDebate57

Only the 57th? :greengrin

Moulin Yarns
04-04-2019, 02:38 PM

Hibs are a club found by Irishmen, named after Ireland and are of Irish heritage. One of our most famous supporters is James Connolly.

You have decided that the purpose of bringing one to a game is for 'winding up' opposition fans, I believe that it's celebrating Hibs' roots, and that morons (Rangers and a small section of Hearts) react to it because they are bigoted.

You know why they react? Because our very existence is an affront to them. They (Rangers) sing 'the famine is over, why don't you go home?', because they genuinely believe that 'Irish Scots' shouldn't be here, and that they ruined Scotland.

If reminding them that we're not going anywhere and we're proud of our history is 'winding them up', then let's just shut the club down, tbh.

As we are talking about history, the Republic of Ireland did not exist when Hibernian was founded, and therefore the Irish Tricolour did not exist at the time. The correct flag is the gold harp on a green background, you see an increase in the tricolour when we play Rangers and Hearts, why do you think that is?

Iggy Pope
04-04-2019, 02:41 PM

Flags by their creation pretty much exist for the sole purposes of winding people up and historically have militaristic purpose. That RAF symbol in your avatar is a clear reference to your modishness but it’s also a symbol waved about frequently by goading, ‘quintisentially British’ Huns, it’s colour pattern based on the old Red White & Blue. Three cheers, hurrah!

However. What most people fail to appreciate is that the Irish Tricolour has the colour orange in it for a reason, that reason being a call for unity. The colour is there to represent the Protestants within the nation. Only a proper moron could be offended by that emotion.

The 90+2
04-04-2019, 02:42 PM
Must be, because last time I checked Cambridge Utd v Leeds isn't a derby.

****ing Moron.

I'd also like to add that Ryan Porteous has scored more goals this season than him.

Haha made me laugh 😆

pacoluna
04-04-2019, 02:43 PM
As we are talking about history, the Republic of Ireland did not exist when Hibernian was founded, and therefore the Irish Tricolour did not exist at the time. The correct flag is the gold harp on a green background, you see an increase in the tricolour when we play Rangers and Hearts, why do you think that is?

Don't know.. why don't you tell us?

The 90+2
04-04-2019, 02:43 PM

We are not an Irish club though. My Grandad was scouse and my roots are there but I don’t jump about in a Liverpool top.

People who want to take an Ireland flag to a football match is weird plain and simple.

mutley
04-04-2019, 02:44 PM

CORRECT.

Hibernian FC formed 1875

The Irish tricolour didn't come into existance until 1922.

So for those that want to fly the flag for "Irish Heritage" it should be the gold harp on green background. People to take the tricolour to games are only dong so to get a reaction from the opposition, and has already been said, I don't see many at other games other than The Rangers or Hearts.

Iggy Pope

Irish Nationalism did though, and it is well recorded that we were founded by republicans who supported Irish Home Rule. There’s no debate there.

Diclonius

There is nothing wrong with bringing a tricolour to a Hibs game. We were founded by Irishmen and have an Irish background.

However, if you do the following, as witnessed by myself at the last Tynecastle derby:

Bring an Irish tricolour and walk to the front of the stand with it
Pointedly aim the tricolour in the direction of a group of similar idiots with union flags in opposing stand
Start screaming insults at said idiots with your mate
Go away, then come back with two tricolours for whatever reason
Wave these flags around whilst continuing to scream abuse, then eventually get hauled away by the steward
And finally, the clincher: never be seen with these flags at any game when the opposition isn't Rangers or Hearts

Then you're not "celebrating our heritage", you're engaging in mini-OF debauchery with their equivalent fans and are embarrassing the rest of us. Go to Parkhead if you use a national flag as an excuse to wind up people you don't even know.

The 90+2
04-04-2019, 02:45 PM
Don't know you tell us?

For the wind up bigot factor. Reason I done it when I was a teenager and many others too tbh. Nothing better than being a wee lassie and getting hateful reactions from bigots.

HibeeHibernian4
04-04-2019, 02:47 PM

Which is why I fly an Erin go Bragh flag when Hibs are in Europe, or for longer away games like the Highlands or Aberdeen. Occasionally at Tynecastle, Parkhead and Ibrox too, but not as a matter of routine.

I'm sure when the EGB flag was in the Faroe Islands or Greece, I was just doing it to get a rise out of those pesky Asteras Huns though.

Diclonius
04-04-2019, 02:51 PM
Which is why I fly an Erin go Bragh flag when Hibs are in Europe, or for longer away games like the Highlands or Aberdeen. Occasionally at Tynecastle, Parkhead and Ibrox too, but not as a matter of routine.

I'm sure when the EGB flag was in the Faroe Islands or Greece, I was just doing it to get a rise out of those pesky Asteras Huns though.

Much in the same way that if you flew the flag of North Macedonia at Ibrox, they wouldn't give a crap, but if you flew it against PAOK for example they'd see that as incitement.

Context is important and in this country at the football certain flags mean more than they would elsewhere. I'm not including you in this, but plenty people who bring them know that and wouldn't bring them otherwise.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-04-2019, 02:51 PM

Seriously? 😲

HibeeHibernian4
04-04-2019, 02:56 PM
Much in the same way that if you flew the flag of North Macedonia at Ibrox, they wouldn't give a crap, but if you flew it against PAOK for example they'd see that as incitement.

Context is important and in this country at the football certain flags mean more than they would elsewhere. I'm not including you in this, but plenty people who bring them know that and wouldn't bring them otherwise.

Well the difference there is, and I can't believe I'm having to type this: there's not a trace of North Macedonia in our founding. So flying it anywhere would be odd, and against PAOK would be a clearly case of incitement.

Hibernian are a club with a strong Irish heritage, Hibernia is the Latin name for Ireland. It's not some random coincidence that we fly Irish flags (and that's not limited to tricolours when I say Irish flags, btw).

Moulin Yarns
04-04-2019, 02:58 PM
Well the difference there is, and I can't believe I'm having to type this: there's not a trace of North Macedonia in our founding. So flying it anywhere would be odd, and against PAOK would be a clearly case of incitement.

Hibernian are a club with a strong Irish heritage, Hibernia is the Latin name for Ireland. It's not some random coincidence that we fly Irish flags (and that's not limited to tricolours when I say Irish flags, btw).

Do Hibernian football club fly a tricolour? Asking for a friend :wink:

WeeRussell
04-04-2019, 02:58 PM

Isn't that the slogan of our governing bodies :greengrin

Joking aside though, it isn't bigotry or racism that causes the majority of poor behaviour in our support e.g. the recent bottle-throwing and pitch invasion (appreciate these weren't against Hearts). I think it's quite right that we are being proactive and taking responsibility... as a whole our support isn't a patch on the ugly sisters or Hearts, but we have had our incidents of late and I'm glad this message has gone out.

Also, our video is far better than theirs :greengrin

Diclonius
04-04-2019, 02:59 PM

Fair enough, but do you at least acknowledge the disparity between people like yourself and those described in my earlier post (#43) who use our background as an excuse to engage in aggressive/provocative behaviour?

WeeRussell
04-04-2019, 03:00 PM

Spot on.

JimBHibees
04-04-2019, 03:00 PM

Absolutely no relevance to a Scottish football match played in 2019.

Iggy Pope
04-04-2019, 03:01 PM
Do Hibernian football club fly a tricolour? Asking for a friend :wink:

They once did, definitely.

Aim Here
04-04-2019, 03:01 PM

Hecky wasn't manager of Leeds when Ikpeazu scored against them.

JimBHibees
04-04-2019, 03:03 PM

Whose this we you talk about. You and 4 others?

JeMeSouviens
04-04-2019, 03:05 PM
CORRECT.

Hibernian FC formed 1875

The Irish tricolour didn't come into existance until 1922.

So for those that want to fly the flag for "Irish Heritage" it should be the gold harp on green background. People to take the tricolour to games are only dong so to get a reaction from the opposition, and has already been said, I don't see many at other games other than The Rangers or Hearts.

Incorrect.

The Irish tricolour dates from (at least) 1848 when the Young Irelanders adopted it, inspired by the French revolutionaries and their tricolour.

Think you’re right about the motivation of some that take it to games v Hearts & Huns though.

WeeRussell
04-04-2019, 03:11 PM

If our name literally means Ireland, isn't that enough to make our roots pretty clear. Why do we need flags to remind people? Every other club don't seem to go around waving national flags to 'celebrate' who they were founded from.

You seem keen on the presence of pyrotechnics and tricolours in our support. As much as you've maintained otherwise, I'll hazard a guess you're not simply interested in 'celebrating our heritage'.

HibeeHibernian4
04-04-2019, 03:13 PM
Fair enough, but do you at least acknowledge the disparity between people like yourself and those described in my earlier post (#43) who use our background as an excuse to engage in aggressive/provocative behaviour?

Yes, I do agree.

My concern with these people though isn't that offending people you're talking about though, I think, is different to most people's.

I don't care that they're 'antagonising' opposition fans with tricolours. People who are 'antagonised' by a tricolour are exposing themselves to be uber-staunch British nationalists who often (but not always) have an attachment to racism and the far right.

I care that they (they being a very small minority, usually no older than about 16) are cheaply flaunting our club's proud and unique history as nothing more than a way to "get it up the huns". But having a tricolour in a Hibs end doesn't automatically make that the case, as I'm sure you'll agree, because you outlined it succinctly in your post (#43).

I don't really know what you can do about them, I'd rather they didn't do it but I certainly don't think we should be ashamed of our Irish heritage either, or cast every single Hibs fan waving a tricolour as some sort of 'troll' or 'wind up merchant'.

WeeRussell
04-04-2019, 03:15 PM
Yes, I do agree.

My concern with these people though isn't that offending people you're talking about though, I think, is different to most people's.

I don't care that they're 'antagonising' opposition fans with tricolours. People who are 'antagonised' by a tricolour are exposing themselves to be uber-staunch British nationalists who often (but not always) have an attachment to racism and the far right.

I care that they (they being a very small minority, usually no older than about 16) are cheaply flaunting our club's proud and unique history as nothing more than a way to "get it up the huns". But having a tricolour in a Hibs end doesn't automatically make that the case, as I'm sure you'll agree, because you outlined it succinctly in your post (#43).

I don't really know what you can do about them, I'd rather they didn't do it but I certainly don't think we should be ashamed of our Irish heritage either, or cast every single Hibs fan waving a tricolour as some sort of 'troll' or 'wind up merchant'.

That's a decent reply though, in fairness.

HibeeHibernian4
04-04-2019, 03:23 PM
If our name literally means Ireland, isn't that enough to make our roots pretty clear. Why do we need flags to remind people? Every other club don't seem to go around waving national flags to 'celebrate' who they were founded from.

You seem keen on the presence of pyrotechnics and tricolours in our support. As much as you've maintained otherwise, I'll hazard a guess you're not simply interested in 'celebrating our heritage'.

I'm not keen on the presence of pyrotechnics in our support, I've never taken into a game, I've never set one off and I don't see the point myself. They emit a small amount of coloured smoke, loads at once might look alright, but usually it's just one that disappears in about a minute and it's not very impressive. Tackling some of the misplaced hysteria that exists around them in Scottish football (in the media, on forums, in the pubs) is something that I see worth doing.

I'm neither keen or unkeen on the tricolour, I don't fly it myself. I don't like Hibs fans (or fans of other clubs, but especially Hibs fans) associating it with the Old Firm, because that's doing a disservice to our club's foundation and playing into the mythical label of us being a mini Celtic. I fly and Erin go Bragh flag on occasion because I see no reason not to, and it celebrates Hibs' heritage in a way that I deem appropriate. They were our founding words as a club, after all.

In regards to your first point, lots of clubs do this. I've seen saltires at Millwall to celebrate their docking links with the city of Dundee, Genoa and Sampdoria both wave St George's crosses (not just as part of the club crest, I mean actual St George's crosses with writing on them), Shkendïja from Macedonia fly Albanian flags, lots of clubs in South America pay homage to their English roots with flags. It's really not uncommon.

Golden Bear
04-04-2019, 03:30 PM
And here's me thinking Hibs were a football team. Silly me.

The 90+2
04-04-2019, 03:31 PM
And here's me thinking Hibs were a football team. Silly me.

Edinburgh Ireland Football Club it seems.

HibeeHibernian4
04-04-2019, 03:32 PM
Edinburgh Ireland Football Club it seems.

You're being sarcastic, but take off Edinburgh and that is literally what our name is...

Hibernian Verse
04-04-2019, 03:34 PM
You're being sarcastic, but take off Edinburgh and that is literally what our name is...

In Latin aye

The Modfather
04-04-2019, 03:36 PM
Yes, I do agree.

It was me that that initially thought you were trolling. I thought “anti Irish, supremacist bigots” and “proud immigrant heritage” was a bit over the top in language but can see you weren’t trolling so apologies.

There is another side that hasn’t been mentioned in the fans who do the exact same as has been mentioned other than it’s a Union Jack that they are offended by rather than a tri colour. Which suggest their own prejudices and intolerance.

Think we can all ageee that no one bats an eyelid at any national flag at a Hibs game, but can agree those that take flags solely to wind others up are as pathetic as those that are offended by those flags.

Moulin Yarns
04-04-2019, 03:36 PM
They once did, definitely.

Did, as in past tense. The club has grown up while some of our fans still live in the 19th century. :rolleyes:

Hibernian Verse
04-04-2019, 03:38 PM
Did, as in past tense. The club has grown up while some of our fans still live in the 19th century. :rolleyes:

I don't think they do...I think they just have a lack of capacity in the brain to know how they should and should not conduct themselves socially. It's a form of tribalism - would they try and noise up people in the street about it?

HibeeHibernian4
04-04-2019, 03:49 PM
It was me that that initially thought you were trolling. I thought “anti Irish, supremacist bigots” and “proud immigrant heritage” was a bit over the top in language but can see you weren’t trolling so apologies.

There is another side that hasn’t been mentioned in the fans who do the exact same as has been mentioned other than it’s a Union Jack that they are offended by rather than a tri colour. Which suggest their own prejudices and intolerance.

Think we can all ageee that no one bats an eyelid at any national flag at a Hibs game, but can agree those that take flags solely to wind others up are as pathetic as those that are offended by those flags.

That's alright, it probably was slightly overdramatic of me language-wise, but it is, give or take, how I feel on the issue. :aok:

I'm not saying this is true of you, but some arguments I read/hear about why we shouldn't wave Irish flags (tricolours, Erin go Bragh, green harp flags, you name it) come across as trying to appease Rangers fans, who are - in my view - unappeasable.

I've been spat at while walking through Glasgow for wearing a green and white Hibs scarf. Our very existence as a club 'goads' them, it's an affront to the hegemony and dominance they believe they have (or maybe now once had). Waving or not waving flags associated with Ireland doesn't curb this. They will still call us "fenians" and "mini taigs".

So for that reason, I don't personally see why I should be worried about a Rangers fan (or a Gorgie Loyal type) taking umbrage with an Irish flag - in this case, an Erin go Bragh flag. It's a peaceful flag that celebrates the club I love and its history that is unique among clubs in the world (until Celtic came along and stole the idea, anyway).

As I outlined in my response to Diclonius, I personally don't like coked-up, spotty teenagers waving tricolours at their mate in Section N who's gleefully responding with a Union Jack/Hand of Ulster (to which Hearts can claim absolutely no historical association with). That cheapens it for me, and I've never said that I like or partake in that sort of thing.

Danderhall Hibs
04-04-2019, 03:50 PM
Seen some of the complaints and replies on twitter - it reads as if they think respect the rivalry means respect hearts.

Should help the club identify a few folk for the next manhunt though 😂

The 90+2
04-04-2019, 03:56 PM

In Latin. It’s 2019.

Chorley Hibee
04-04-2019, 04:02 PM

Absolutely agree, shameless opportunity for one-upmanship in their eyes and nothing to do with respect. **** them!

G B Young
04-04-2019, 04:05 PM
Hecky wasn't manager of Leeds when Ikpeazu scored against them.

Yeh, I was just hazarding a guess as to why he thought mentioning the fact he'd once scored against Leeds United was in any way relevant to playing in derbies. Far as I can see he would never have played in any sort of match against Leeds that would equate to a derby. Is he simply saying it because Hecky was once manager of Leeds. That would be even sadder if so.

WeeRussell
04-04-2019, 04:06 PM
I'm not keen on the presence of pyrotechnics in our support, I've never taken into a game, I've never set one off and I don't see the point myself. They emit a small amount of coloured smoke, loads at once might look alright, but usually it's just one that disappears in about a minute and it's not very impressive. Tackling some of the misplaced hysteria that exists around them in Scottish football (in the media, on forums, in the pubs) is something that I see worth doing.

I'm neither keen or unkeen on the tricolour, I don't fly it myself. I don't like Hibs fans (or fans of other clubs, but especially Hibs fans) associating it with the Old Firm, because that's doing a disservice to our club's foundation and playing into the mythical label of us being a mini Celtic. I fly and Erin go Bragh flag on occasion because I see no reason not to, and it celebrates Hibs' heritage in a way that I deem appropriate. They were our founding words as a club, after all.

In regards to your first point, lots of clubs do this. I've seen saltires at Millwall to celebrate their docking links with the city of Dundee, Genoa and Sampdoria both wave St George's crosses (not just as part of the club crest, I mean actual St George's crosses with writing on them), Shkendïja from Macedonia fly Albanian flags, lots of clubs in South America pay homage to their English roots with flags. It's really not uncommon.

Fair enough mate - another reasonable response :aok:

G B Young
04-04-2019, 04:09 PM
Absolutely agree, shameless opportunity for one-upmanship in their eyes and nothing to do with respect. **** them!

Yes, we might be in a minority here but, compared to the Hibs one which is very straightforward, the Hearts one places a big emphasis on the celebrations after they finally ended their five-year famine at ER and (to me) seems to say 'We respect the derby as long as we win it and maintain what we perceive to be our superiority in Edinburgh football circles'.

we are hibs
04-04-2019, 04:16 PM
In Latin. It’s 2019.

So our history is irrelevant then?

WeeRussell
04-04-2019, 04:21 PM
Yes, we might be in a minority here but, compared to the Hibs one which is very straightforward, the Hearts one places a big emphasis on the celebrations after they finally ended their five-year famine at ER and (to me) seems to say 'We respect the derby as long as we win it and maintain what we perceive to be our superiority in Edinburgh football circles'.

I think ours is better produced and a slicker video (maybe partly due to our players sounding more intelligent in general :greengrin) but I think it's clutching at straws to criticise their approach. They're entitled to share happy derby memories and even have a dig at us if they like.... that's what the message is all about for me... we still hate each other and revel in the rivalry, but we don't need to be violent, bigoted, or moronic to prove it.

The Tubs
04-04-2019, 04:29 PM
There is nothing wrong with bringing a tricolour to a Hibs game. We were founded by Irishmen and have an Irish background.

However, if you do the following, as witnessed by myself at the last Tynecastle derby:

Bring an Irish tricolour and walk to the front of the stand with it
Pointedly aim the tricolour in the direction of a group of similar idiots with union flags in opposing stand
Start screaming insults at said idiots with your mate
Go away, then come back with two tricolours for whatever reason
Wave these flags around whilst continuing to scream abuse, then eventually get hauled away by the steward
And finally, the clincher: never be seen with these flags at any game when the opposition isn't Rangers or Hearts

Then you're not "celebrating our heritage", you're engaging in mini-OF debauchery with their equivalent fans and are embarrassing the rest of us. Go to Parkhead if you use a national flag as an excuse to wind up people you don't even know.

The long and the short of it.

Chorley Hibee
04-04-2019, 04:31 PM
I think ours is better produced and a slicker video (maybe partly due to our players sounding more intelligent in general :greengrin) but I think it's clutching at straws to criticise their approach. They're entitled to share happy derby memories and even have a dig at us if they like.... that's what the message is all about for me... we still hate each other and revel in the rivalry, but we don't need to be violent, bigoted, or moronic to prove it.

A single video would have been better, one showing celebrating from both teams, but a message from the players of both clubs denouncing any unacceptable behaviour.

I do think the Hearts one lacks class, but not remotely surprised by that. Class and Hearts just don't go.

Moulin Yarns
04-04-2019, 04:31 PM
In Latin. It’s 2019.

The only legitimate use of Latin in the 21st century is binomial use in science, particularly botany.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-04-2019, 04:48 PM
The only legitimate use of Latin in the 21st century is binomial use in science, particularly botany.

Binomial, I've just learned a new word, every day's a school day. 👨*🎓

Here’s Lucy!
04-04-2019, 04:49 PM
I agree. There will never be mutual respect whilst the likes of Levein is there.

You're right, but they would probably have typed "There will never be mutual respect whilst the likes of Lennon was there".

It's all relative, and I suppose both sides of the coin need viewed with equal eyes.

GGTTH

1-2 on Saturday. :flag:

PeeJay
04-04-2019, 04:51 PM
I'm all for "Respect the Rivalry" and "Fair Play" - as said elsewhere, one video using players, fans and staff from both clubs would maybe have been a better idea?

Here’s Lucy!
04-04-2019, 04:57 PM
I'm all for "Respect the Rivalry" and "Fair Play" - as said elsewhere, one video using players, fans and staff from both clubs would maybe have been a better idea?

Yep, a much better idea. Showing a sign of unity from both clubs instead of polarising them.

At the end of the day, it probably won't make a blind bit of difference come match time anyhow! :agree:

JimBHibees
04-04-2019, 04:59 PM

Yep would have been a stronger message.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-04-2019, 05:02 PM
Yep, a much better idea. Showing a sign of unity from both clubs instead of polarising them.

At the end of the day, it probably won't make a blind bit of difference come match time anyhow! :agree:

A sanitised Derby would be to much to bear.

hibee
04-04-2019, 05:06 PM
I’m just pleased to see Steven Whittaker, was worried about him!

Here’s Lucy!
04-04-2019, 05:09 PM
A sanitised Derby would be to much to bear.

:faf:

Scouse Hibee
04-04-2019, 05:18 PM
Sadly still far too many that have no self respect so what chance have you got.

Here’s Lucy!
04-04-2019, 05:24 PM
Sadly still far too many that have no self respect so what chance have you got.

Agree with this also. :aok:

Not just self-respect though, some folk have just no respect, full stop.

Modern life is horrendous.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-04-2019, 05:27 PM
:faf:

Games can still have an edge without it going too far, perhaps it's a generational thing 🤷

scooby
04-04-2019, 05:32 PM

Cheers mate, Don't see how anyone can be negative about them, but ours is definitely better. #Natural order

Keith_M
04-04-2019, 05:36 PM
Respect?

What IS the world coming to...

Danderhall Hibs
04-04-2019, 05:36 PM
I’m just pleased to see Steven Whittaker, was worried about him!

Don’t think he’s been fit since Lennon said he was never injured and always available:

The 90+2
04-04-2019, 05:37 PM

Correct. That and wrestle mania 😃

Tug Wilson
04-04-2019, 06:25 PM

Agreed. Their one seemed more like a rallying call than a keep calm message.

Iggy Pope
04-04-2019, 06:55 PM

The fact remains our club flew that flag referred to. I doubt you knew this, I don’t think you are well informed enough to have known this. There’s a lot about our clubs past that we celebrate to this day. Dark green on the jerseys, Famous Five Stand, Harp reinstated on the Main stand, Turnbulls Tornadoes belted out regularly.
I don’t live in the 19th Century my friend so your eyes might want to roll elsewhere. Soon.
You asked your question, I answered.

Iggy Pope
04-04-2019, 07:00 PM

You seem to like your millennia references. Nil illegitimi carborundum is much more 21st century relevant.

dp00
04-04-2019, 07:09 PM
I think the videos are a good idea, clear idea from the clubs to try something different to get fans to behave , yeah we are rivals and we want to win but let’s never get to the level of the old firm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kato
04-04-2019, 07:09 PM
Flags by their creation pretty much exist for the sole purposes of winding people up and historically have militaristic purpose. That RAF symbol in your avatar is a clear reference to your modishness but it’s also a symbol waved about frequently by goading, ‘quintisentially British’ Huns, it’s colour pattern based on the old Red White & Blue. Three cheers, hurrah!

However. What most people fail to appreciate is that the Irish Tricolour has the colour orange in it for a reason, that reason being a call for unity. The colour is there to represent the Protestants within the nation. Only a proper moron could be offended by that emotion.

Spot on. Imagine spending even part your adult life getting wound up by flags. Abject clowns.

The 90+2
04-04-2019, 07:12 PM
Spot on. Imagine spending even part your adult life getting wound up by flags. Abject clowns.

Perhaps as sad as thinking a flag at football is relevant. Absolute clowns.

Keith_M
04-04-2019, 07:15 PM
You seem to like your millennia references. Nil illegitimi carborundum is much more 21st century relevant.

Not as important as "semper ubi, sub ubi". Especially in this cold weather.

CRAZYHIBBY
04-04-2019, 07:17 PM
How can you respect the rivalry when hearts have levein in charge

Iggy Pope
04-04-2019, 07:23 PM
Not as important as "semper ubi, sub ubi". Especially in this cold weather.

Probably depends on what you’re filling them with in the first instance.

Eyrie
04-04-2019, 07:50 PM
Can't see either video having any effect on the idiots on both sides.

ddoc
04-04-2019, 07:58 PM
Perhaps as sad as thinking a flag at football is relevant. Absolute clowns.

Due to the circumstances of live my main time of standing in the terrace at ER was 1966 - 1974.
i have no recollection of fans bringing flags to a game back then. Maybe I am wrong and it happened but it certainly does not register in my head.
When did flags become a ‘common’ sight at ER? Not that this question matters as in the great scheme of things I think most fans are ambivalent towards them, until it gets to the point where they are blatantly used to incite bigotry, hatred and intolerance.

The 90+2
04-04-2019, 08:47 PM
Due to the circumstances of live my main time of standing in the terrace at ER was 1966 - 1974.
i have no recollection of fans bringing flags to a game back then. Maybe I am wrong and it happened but it certainly does not register in my head.
When did flags become a ‘common’ sight at ER? Not that this question matters as in the great scheme of things I think most fans are ambivalent towards them, until it gets to the point where they are blatantly used to incite bigotry, hatred and intolerance.

Late 90s to wind the huns up. Never before that ever.

TimeForHeroes32
04-04-2019, 09:24 PM
I’ll never respect anything to do with them and also all these joint statements need to stop now. The thing that makes an Edinburgh Derby great is the atmosphere and the hatred between the fans when it comes to derby day. It’s what a derby is meant to be just pure hatred for 90minutes what’s not to love.

The Hibs players better not take ‘respect the rivalry’ seriously hope to see a full blooded affair and hopefully Berra and Levien in tears at the end

Pete
04-04-2019, 09:31 PM
The naughty dot net 30 are not impressed.

Are you trying to mug us off you tricky *****s!

WhileTheChief..
04-04-2019, 09:38 PM
However. What most people fail to appreciate is that the Irish Tricolour has the colour orange in it for a reason, that reason being a call for unity. The colour is there to represent the Protestants within the nation.

Never knew that. Nice one.

HUTCHYHIBBY
04-04-2019, 09:49 PM

I wish I knew what this means 🤨

Hiber-nation
04-04-2019, 09:57 PM
I wish I knew what this means 🤨

I think I'm happy not knowing!

The Modfather
04-04-2019, 10:16 PM

Is that you Monktonharp? 🤔

silverhibee
04-04-2019, 11:30 PM
F*** hertz and there weirdo manager.

JohnM1875
05-04-2019, 12:39 AM
I’ll never respect anything to do with them and also all these joint statements need to stop now. The thing that makes an Edinburgh Derby great is the atmosphere and the hatred between the fans when it comes to derby day. It’s what a derby is meant to be just pure hatred for 90minutes what’s not to love.

The Hibs players better not take ‘respect the rivalry’ seriously hope to see a full blooded affair and hopefully Berra and Levien in tears at the end

If anyone thinks for a second that this is going to affect the players commitment then they have widely missed the point.

This is about a small minority of fans who have behaved like total morons the past few games between us, as widely broadcast on TV and in the news.
And it's both sets of fans by the way!

Was out in Leith (where I live and grew up) not long after Scott Hutchison passed away and remember a few guys trying to work that into a Hibs song?! There's honestly just no need. Surely we're better than that?

marinello59
05-04-2019, 05:34 AM

90 minutes of pure hatred? Not for me. It’s pantomime stuff at worst for most of us.

JimBHibees
05-04-2019, 05:55 AM

Should never be about hatred it is a football match FFS. Rivalry and pantomime villain behaviour yes hatred no way.

Hibrandenburg
05-04-2019, 05:56 AM
In Latin aye

What did the Romans ever do for us?

MagicSwirlingShip
05-04-2019, 06:02 AM
Hilarious how Hearts still tried to one up us by showing the Olly Lee winner and Souttars heavy challenge on Barker in their video.

Classless bunch

green day
05-04-2019, 06:31 AM
Hilarious how Hearts still tried to one up us by showing the Olly Lee winner and Souttars heavy challenge on Barker in their video.

Classless bunch

I havent watched their one, but as you said above - predictable, although not really done to "get one over" on us, rather to pander to their own stupid element.

I cant really be bothered with this pish, its a derby FFS ! And on Saturday will be screaming at the Jambos as much as the rest of us in the Roseburn.

However I wont be lobbing stuff or going on the pitch, so maybe the videos not aimed at me?

DetroitHibs
05-04-2019, 08:08 AM
Respect the Derby.... Aye okay then :rolleyes:

**** Levien
**** Budge
**** the mutant puddle drinkers
And last but not least, **** Mercer

How’s that for respect :wink:

bigwheel
05-04-2019, 08:15 AM
Should never be about hatred it is a football match FFS. Rivalry and pantomime villain behaviour yes hatred no way.

[emoji817] percent on this - can’t believe adults actually “hate” clubs, fans, players...it’s a competitive sport ..that’s it

I wonder if those who say they “hate” them have Hearts supporters as family or friends..

Tribal banter fair enough - but “hate” has no place in football for me ..

Good on the clubs for at least trying to set a new tone

The 90+2
05-04-2019, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE=DetroitHibs;5756905]Respect the Derby.... Aye okay then :rolleyes:

**** Levien
**** Budge
**** the mutant puddle drinkers
And last but not least, **** Mercer

How’s that for respect :wink:[/QUOTE

Aye, wasn’t pantomime when that **** tried to kill us.

HibeeHibernian4
05-04-2019, 08:39 AM
[emoji817] percent on this - can’t believe adults actually “hate” clubs, fans, players...it’s a competitive sport ..that’s it

I wonder if those who say they “hate” them have Hearts supporters as family or friends..

*Unless it's Rangers.

JimBHibees
05-04-2019, 08:47 AM
*Unless it's Rangers.

Including Rangers, if people genuinely hate through the vehicle of football clubs which is basically meant to be a pastime then it probably suggest they have bigger issues in their life than whether their eleven players score more goals than another eleven players.

As Arrigo Sacchi, said, 'Football is the most important of the least important things in life'.

HibeeHibernian4
05-04-2019, 09:23 AM
Including Rangers, if people genuinely hate through the vehicle of football clubs which is basically meant to be a pastime then it probably suggest they have bigger issues in their life than whether their eleven players score more goals than another eleven players.

As Arrigo Sacchi, said, 'Football is the most important of the least important things in life'.

And Rangers are the vehicle for ultra-British nationalism and far right politics bordering on fascism, so yeah, I hate them. Can't say the same of any other club, mind.

JimBHibees
05-04-2019, 09:30 AM
And Rangers are the vehicle for ultra-British nationalism and far right politics bordering on fascism, so yeah, I hate them. Can't say the same of any other club, mind.

Bit of a stretch that is it not.

The 90+2
05-04-2019, 09:32 AM
Bit of a stretch that is it not.

It’s not really. They hate everything that isn’t British Protestant.

JimBHibees
05-04-2019, 09:33 AM

The club? All of their fans? Glasgow voted yes assume a fair percentage must have been Rangers fans. Alot of 90 minute bigots I think.

Hibbyradge
05-04-2019, 09:38 AM

A phrase which doesn't actually mean anything and was made up by the British Army, I believe. Nigel Farage has a tie with those words on it.

Unfortunately, however, you're spot on. It really is 21st century relevant. :boo hoo:

Alex Trager
05-04-2019, 09:55 AM
**** them. Always and forever.

Hibbyradge
05-04-2019, 09:55 AM

Brian Laudrup?

Jorg Albertz?

Lorenzo Amoruso? He's a Catholic, you know.

Gennaro Gattuso? Another Catholic.

Just saying.

PS I despise them.

The 90+2
05-04-2019, 10:32 AM
The club? All of their fans? Glasgow voted yes assume a fair percentage must have been Rangers fans. Alot of 90 minute bigots I think.

The club, yes.

The fans, 100%

Not all of their support come from Glasgow.

The 90+2
05-04-2019, 10:34 AM
Brian Laudrup?

Jorg Albertz?

Lorenzo Amoruso? He's a Catholic, you know.

Gennaro Gattuso? Another Catholic.

Just saying.

PS I despise them.

Im aware of changes attitudes to buy success and aware they players and their backgrounds. There’s been many more catholics playing for them also but get backed because they are hypocrites.

If any of they played against Rangers he would be a dirty fenian ******* a bead rattler or a peado.

They are the biggest hypocrites in life see bumping the money they owed while claiming still the same club.

CapitalGreen
05-04-2019, 10:34 AM

A 90 minute bigot is still a bigot.

The 90+2
05-04-2019, 10:36 AM

Correct.

JimBHibees
05-04-2019, 10:50 AM

Not disputing that for a minute.

Phil MaGlass
05-04-2019, 10:50 AM

This, insert smiley, wherever the hell they are ah found it 😂

pacoluna
05-04-2019, 10:56 AM

I hate 100% rangers and I 75% hate hearts.

WhileTheChief..
05-04-2019, 10:56 AM

Is that true?

The west of Scotland predominantly voted Labour for decades and more recently SNP, neither of which can really be described as far right or fascist!

I’d be surprised if people voted based on which team they follow but guess some maybe do.

Hibbyradge
05-04-2019, 10:57 AM
Is that true?

The west of Scotland predominantly voted Labour for decades and more recently SNP, neither of which can really be described as far right or fascist!

I’d be surprised if people voted based on which team they follow but guess some maybe do.

The name Conservative and Unionist Party will appeal to a certain section of the Rangers support.

The 90+2
05-04-2019, 11:23 AM
Is that true?

Rangers supporters despise nationilsts (Scottish and Irish). They are probably the only football club that brings British politics into football apart from their nasty brother Celtic.

G B Young
05-04-2019, 12:20 PM

Absolutely. Having lived and worked in Glasgow for a good number of years I was often struck by how perfectly decent most Rangers fans I came across or worked alongside were. Most were more than happy to chat amicably about football and seemed to have no obvious issues with the fact I was a Hibs fan. I actually found it hard to believe that some of them would indulge in the sort of bigotry the club is associated with. Clearly there are those among their support who do not fall into the 'decent' category but that can apply to all clubs.

California-Hibs
05-04-2019, 12:44 PM
How utterly fuc***g cringeworthy was the Hearts video by the way! Hibs media team 1-0 Hearts media children

ColintonHibs
05-04-2019, 12:47 PM
Respect the derby? I’ll be on the pitch living my childhood fantasy

Hibbyradge
05-04-2019, 12:51 PM
Absolutely. Having lived and worked in Glasgow for a good number of years I was often struck by how perfectly decent most Rangers fans I came across or worked alongside were. Most were more than happy to chat amicably about football and seemed to have no obvious issues with the fact I was a Hibs fan. I actually found it hard to believe that some of them would indulge in the sort of bigotry the club is associated with. Clearly there are those among their support who do not fall into the 'decent' category but that can apply to all clubs.

I'm a 90 minute racist.

I only shout abuse at darkies and sambos and Pakis and Muslims and towel heids etc etc at football matches.* I'm a perfectly decent Hibs supporter.

*I don't do any of that.

Diclonius
05-04-2019, 01:13 PM
Having now watched both, I also think it's a bit odd that we didn't release a joint video.

SChibs
05-04-2019, 01:18 PM

There is definitely a place for hate in football. I really dislike Hearts but I hate Rangers. They are a horrible club and I don't really get why anyone would choose to support them who wasn't brought up supporting them.

HIBERNIAN-0762
05-04-2019, 03:28 PM
Respect them?

:hilarious:hilarious:hilarious

Nae chance.

Keith_M
05-04-2019, 05:23 PM
I hate sectarianism, racism and praising of terrorists, among other things.

I have no respect for people that can follow any club where, game after game, a very large proportion of their fellow fans indulge in such behaviour.

As for clubs that don't make any effort to clamp down on these things, I have no respect for them either and think the world would be a better place without them.

matty_f
05-04-2019, 05:53 PM
The message is fine, nobody is saying respect Hearts - respecting the rivalry, for me, is all about the fierceness of the feeling between the fans, the hatred, the crunching tackles etc, but showing it in the right way - fans shouldn't be dodging objects, people don't need to be on the pitch, and nobody needs to throw stuff at the players.

Iggy Pope
05-04-2019, 05:56 PM
A phrase which doesn't actually mean anything and was made up by the British Army, I believe. Nigel Farage has a tie with those words on it.

Unfortunately, however, you're spot on. It really is 21st century relevant. :boo hoo:

Thanks. Feel manky now.

SquashedFrogg
05-04-2019, 05:58 PM
Having now watched both, I also think it's a bit odd that we didn't release a joint video.

After the hullabaloo of the vaping company sponsorship, I'd be surprised if this happened.

Danderhall Hibs
05-04-2019, 06:35 PM
The message is fine, nobody is saying respect Hearts - respecting the rivalry, for me, is all about the fierceness of the feeling between the fans, the hatred, the crunching tackles etc, but showing it in the right way - fans shouldn't be dodging objects, people don't need to be on the pitch, and nobody needs to throw stuff at the players.

Aye it’s a bit strange it’s been taken that way.

Carheenlea
05-04-2019, 06:47 PM
It’s all a bit American.

SquashedFrogg
05-04-2019, 06:48 PM
It’s all a bit American.

Explain?

Crab apple
05-04-2019, 06:59 PM

Best post on this thread.

sixtwo
05-04-2019, 07:02 PM

This is exactly the way i interpreted it.

WhileTheChief..
05-04-2019, 07:34 PM
*I don't do any of that.

Imagine if you hadn’t put this wee bit in!

There’d have feathers getting spat all over the place.

WeeRussell
05-04-2019, 08:37 PM
This is exactly the way i interpreted it.

The more numpties that pile in with critical comments about Hibs releasing such a video, because “***** hearts I have no respect for them” the more I remember how many of us need the education on how to behave at football games.

Not once have we ever been asked to have any respect for Hearts. It’s almost like people are saying “Romanov was a dick so why should we not throw bottles and run on pitches”. But really it’s just total ignorance/failure to understand a pretty basic message.

Mind blowing.

JimBHibees
05-04-2019, 09:36 PM

Spot on it really isn't that hard to understand the message support your team but behave.

Paisley Hibby
05-04-2019, 09:37 PM

You're right. But you're wasting your time. Some folk on here only see and hear what they want to just so they can complain.

jacomo
05-04-2019, 10:31 PM

lapsedhibee
06-04-2019, 08:27 AM

Quoted in this morning's i paper. You're part of the MSM now.

Sir David Gray
06-04-2019, 08:54 AM

Correct.

Respectfully FTH.

Danderhall Hibs
06-04-2019, 10:29 AM
Quoted in this morning's i paper. You're part of the MSM now.

Unreal - I said it before him. They must prefer wordy answers to succinct analysis.

A Hi-Bee
06-04-2019, 02:04 PM
We did and football won in the end.