PDA

View Full Version : Top 6 Secured

HibeeHibernian4
03-04-2019, 08:47 PM
The first target that we set out for Heckingbottom has been cleared with a game to spare.

Can't overlook it as an achievement, we've been pushed most of the way by a good Motherwell side, too.

17 points from his first 21 in the league as Hibs manager, let's kick on now and push for a top 4 spot.

Six points behind, six games to play. Never say never.

fiolex1
03-04-2019, 08:52 PM
Great achievement considering how many player have been out injured. Our squad tonight was really thin

Carheenlea
03-04-2019, 08:55 PM
Well done Paul and Robbie - the least we should be demanding as Hibs fans, but considering our league position and form when both were appointed this was going to be a big challenge, but we have done so with a game to spare. Onwards and upwards and plenty to look forward to.

Hibbyradge
03-04-2019, 08:59 PM
I said ages ago that 4th place was beyond us, and that looks like it's correct, but we've still got a lot to play for.

A win on Saturday would be a real boost for the fans and the manager, and it would obviously be better to finish 5th rather than 6th.

Apart from Saturday, the season is realistically over for us, imo, but I'm delighted we've managed to dig ourselves out of a very sorry spot.

However, I'm keen to see who the manager is going to bring in during the summer, and who he'll let go.

Usually, a new gaffer has a few gems he's spotted. Hopefully that'll apply to Heck 'n Dave :greengrin

The 90+2
03-04-2019, 09:00 PM
Well done the club. It looked miles away in January. Hecky wants to be here and I’ve the most trust I’ve had in a HC in a couple of years he will deliver.

calumhibee1
03-04-2019, 09:02 PM
When was last time we had consecutive top 6 finishes?

Diclonius
03-04-2019, 09:03 PM
When was last time we had consecutive top 6 finishes?

6 consecutive top six finishes from 2005 to 2010.

Sean1875
03-04-2019, 09:20 PM
Bit of a ‘meh’ game tonight but we got the job done. Roll on Saturday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since452
03-04-2019, 09:21 PM
Didn't see that coming at start of February

erin go bragh
03-04-2019, 09:22 PM
I said ages ago that 4th place was beyond us, and that looks like it's correct, but we've still got a lot to play for.

A win on Saturday would be a real boost for the fans and the manager, and it would obviously be better to finish 5th rather than 6th.

👀Apart from Saturday, the season is realistically over for us,👀 imo, but I'm delighted we've managed to dig ourselves out of a very sorry spot.

However, I'm keen to see who the manager is going to bring in during the summer, and who he'll let go.

Usually, a new gaffer has a few gems he's spotted. Hopefully that'll apply to Heck 'n Dave :greengrin

Win on Saturday and we will more than likely be 3pts off a potential euro spot in the league.
Hardly nothing to play for 🤔

Diclonius
03-04-2019, 09:23 PM
When are the fixtures coming out? League basically done and dusted so Rangers v Celtic will be one of the later fixtures I suspect.

calumhibee1
03-04-2019, 09:25 PM
6 consecutive top six finishes from 2005 to 2010.

Didn’t realise it was that many in a row

Hibbyradge
03-04-2019, 09:30 PM
Win on Saturday and we will more than likely be 3pts off a potential euro spot in the league.
Hardly nothing to play for 🤔

I didn't say we had nothing to play for, in fact, I said the opposite. I just don't see any way that we can overtake Hearts, Aberdeen and/or Killie with only 6 games left.

It's possible, I suppose, but highly unlikely.

Hibeesmad
03-04-2019, 09:31 PM
When are the fixtures coming out? League basically done and dusted so Rangers v Celtic will be one of the later fixtures I suspect.

Hope we get the fixtures in the following order:

Rangers (A)- Morelos and Kent suspended
Hearts (H)- Midweek under the lights at ER
Aberdeen (A)- seen on another thread it's likely to be away
Celtic (H)- Would have won the league by then
Killie (A)- Last game hopefully winner takes 3rd or 4th place. We would take a great support.

Hibbyradge
03-04-2019, 09:31 PM

They'll come out after the final game of the pre-split phase.

As always. (I think.)

Sheep_Nae_Mair
03-04-2019, 09:32 PM
The first target that we set out for Heckingbottom has been cleared with a game to spare.

Can't overlook it as an achievement, we've been pushed most of the way by a good Motherwell side, too.

17 points from his first 21 in the league as Hibs manager, let's kick on now and push for a top 4 spot.

Six points behind, six games to play. Never say never.

Five games to play.

Hibbyradge
03-04-2019, 09:32 PM
Five games to play.

Power
03-04-2019, 09:34 PM
6 games left to go out and enjoy, players and fans. Be brave, stick in.

When Saturday comes.

Keep marching on.

SChibs
03-04-2019, 09:36 PM
I didn't say we had nothing to play for, in fact, I said the opposite. I just don't see any way that we can overtake Hearts, Aberdeen and/or Killie with only 6 games left.

It's possible, I suppose, but highly unlikely.

You don't see how we could overtake hearts? We're one point behind them???

B.H.F.C
03-04-2019, 09:38 PM
Nothing to get overly excited about but Heckingbottom deserves credit considering where we were when he came in.

Still a slim chance of competing for a European place. And the opportunity to finish above that lot as well so season not done yet.

Hibbyradge
You don't see how we could overtake hearts? We're one point behind them???

Jeezo. Of course we can overtake Hearts. I don't see how we can overtake all three or at least two of them to get 4th.

Humo

Apart from Saturday, the season is realistically over for us, imo, but I'm delighted we've managed to dig ourselves out of a very sorry spot.

Usually, a new gaffer has a few gems he's spotted. Hopefully that'll apply to Heck 'n Dave :greengrinHow is the season realistically over bar saturday?

At the very least we have another derby after that.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

stoneyburn hibs
Excellent achievement given where we were when he first came in.

Hibbyradge
How is the season realistically over bar saturday?

At the very least we have another derby after that.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Good point. My mistake.

Heisenberg
03-04-2019, 09:46 PM
“We’ve got Hearts twice, then every other game will be against a top side. That’s what I want. Next year, we want to be competing against those sides – so let’s see where we are now. Form suggests we’re right up with them, but let’s see.”

Nice wee quote from Hecky about the games ahead :greengrin

Tarrahib
03-04-2019, 09:47 PM

Killie (A)- Last game hopefully winner takes 3rd or 4th place. We would take a great support.
Will there be mid week games?

Hibbyradge
03-04-2019, 09:47 PM
“We’ve got Hearts twice, then every other game will be against a top side. That’s what I want. Next year, we want to be competing against those sides – so let’s see where we are now. Form suggests we’re right up with them, but let’s see.”

Nice wee quote from Hecky about the games ahead :greengrin

I'm sure he said it innocently. :greengrin

Billy Whizz
03-04-2019, 09:49 PM

No, all weekends, although you never know if TV moves a game to a Friday or a Monday night!

hibee_girl
03-04-2019, 09:50 PM

Probably, I think the 3rd game is usually a midweek one

Billy Whizz
03-04-2019, 09:50 PM

Not this season

Ginger Gehagan
03-04-2019, 09:51 PM

No there all on weekends this year I think.

hibee_girl
03-04-2019, 09:51 PM
Not this season

:aok:

BILLYHIBS
03-04-2019, 09:52 PM
I am sure there will be a big financial bonus in it for Heckingbottom getting us into the top six given the dross that went before as we looked to be headed in only one direction and it wasn’t up

No doubt there will be another big bonus awaiting him if he gets us back into Europe

No better place to start than at Tiny on Saturday

Onwards and upwards

GGTTH

Billy Whizz
03-04-2019, 09:53 PM
:aok:

Top 6 last game is usually a Sunday, so presume the last fixture will be on Sunday 19th May

HibeeHibernian4
03-04-2019, 09:58 PM
Top 6 last game is usually a Sunday, so presume the last fixture will be on Sunday 19th May

The dates will be:

Friday 19th-Sunday 21st April

Friday 26th-Sunday 28th April

Friday 3rd-Sunday 5th May

Friday 10th-Sunday 12th May

Sunday 19th May

Since452
03-04-2019, 10:04 PM
The absolute bare minimum for this club

Billy Whizz
03-04-2019, 10:06 PM
The dates will be:

Friday 19th-Sunday 21st April

Friday 26th-Sunday 28th April

Friday 3rd-Sunday 5th May

Friday 10th-Sunday 12th May

Sunday 19th May

Would be nice if it went something like this
Home to Aberdeen
Away to Killie
Home to Hearts
Away to Rangers
Home to Celtic

HibeeHibernian4
03-04-2019, 10:06 PM

It'll be Monday at the earliest because, even if they got around the table with Police Scotland and the TV companies tomorrow (they won't), then they'd still not agree to something until Monday. It'll more likely be about Wednesday I reckon.

They'll take this weekend to see if Celtic win the title (they beat Livi on Saturday and Rangers lose at Motherwell and the league's done).

Then if that hasn't happened, they'll make sure Rangers - Celtic isn't the first game, and possibly not the second game either.

Then they need to select TV games etc.

The good thing about tonight is that it'll at least expedite things by a few days, but I still wouldn't be surprised if they dither about for ages, as they have very little concern for fans who might want to book their travel for away games and all that.

Last season, the split was confirmed on 1st April and fixtures weren't released until the 11th.

Billy Whizz
03-04-2019, 10:07 PM
It'll be Monday at the earliest because, even if they got around the table with Police Scotland and the TV companies tomorrow (they won't), then they'd still not agree to something until Monday. It'll more likely be about Wednesday I reckon.

They'll take this weekend to see if Celtic win the title (they beat Livi on Saturday and Rangers lose at Motherwell and the league's done).

Then if that hasn't happened, they'll make sure Rangers - Celtic isn't the first game, and possibly not the second game either.

Then they need to select TV games etc.

The good thing about tonight is that it'll at least expedite things by a few days, but I still wouldn't be surprised if they dither about for ages, as they have very little concern for fans who might want to book their travel for away games and all that.

Last season, the split was confirmed on 1st April and fixtures weren't released until the 11th.

Sportsound said they expect them out in the next couple of days, so hopefully Friday sometime

HibeeHibernian4
03-04-2019, 10:07 PM
Would be nice if it went something like this
Home to Aberdeen
Away to Killie
Home to Hearts
Away to Rangers
Home to Celtic

Celtic usually get the privilege (:rolleyes:) of playing at home on the last day of the season when they're nailed on to win the league.

Swap Celtic and Aberdeen and I think that's exactly what we'll get, for what it's worth.

cabbageandribs1875
03-04-2019, 10:08 PM
Premiership

1st - £3.18m (13.4%)
2nd - £2.28m (9.6%)
3rd - £1.96m (8.25%)
4th - £1.72m (7.25%)
5th - £1.6m (6.75%)
6th - £1.48m (6.25%)
7th - £1.36m (5.75%)
8th - £1.3m (5.5%)
9th - £1.24m (5.25%)
10th - £1.19m (5.0%)
11th - £1.13m (4.75%)
12th - £1.07m (4.5%)

Billy Whizz
03-04-2019, 10:08 PM
Celtic usually get the privilege (:rolleyes:) of playing at home on the last day of the season when they're nailed on to win the league.

Swap Celtic and Aberdeen and I think that's exactly what we'll get, for what it's worth.

That would mean Celtic could win the League at ER

HibeeHibernian4
03-04-2019, 10:13 PM
That would mean Celtic could win the League at ER

As was the case last year, but we put a stop to it that day and I'd back us to do the same again. :aok:

Hibbyradge
03-04-2019, 10:13 PM
I think the stuff about stopping Celtic winning the league against the Rangers is a bit of a urban myth.

Having said that, it would be funny if they did win it at Ibrox. Lennon would be effervescent! :hilarious

BILLYHIBS
03-04-2019, 10:29 PM
I think the stuff about stopping Celtic winning the league against the Rangers is a bit of a urban myth.

Having said that, it would be funny if they did win it at Ibrox. Lennon would be effervescent! :hilarious

He would be flying. :partyhibb

HibeeHibernian4
03-04-2019, 10:30 PM

They took an extra week sorting the fixtures last season to try and avoid the situation, as was widely-reported. The police didn't want it to happen, there were numerous articles warning of a repeat of 1999. Obviously, it was the usual hysteria from Police Scotland and our media, who are delusional and out of touch and don't understand that 95% of football fans have no interest in being sad acts who scrap with each other.

Given this is at Ibrox, there'll be even more of a push to avoid it happening. Of course, last year we put a spanner in the works and delayed Celtic winning the title by a week so that they did it against Rangers at Parkhead instead.

Hibbyradge
03-04-2019, 10:48 PM
They took an extra week sorting the fixtures last season to try and avoid the situation, as was widely-reported. The police didn't want it to happen, there were numerous articles warning of a repeat of 1999. Obviously, it was the usual hysteria from Police Scotland and our media, who are delusional and out of touch and don't understand that 95% of football fans have no interest in being sad acts who scrap with each other.

Given this is at Ibrox, there'll be even more of a push to avoid it happening. Of course, last year we put a spanner in the works and delayed Celtic winning the title by a week so that they did it against Rangers at Parkhead instead.

They didn't you know. The fixtures were announced on Wednesday 11 April. Much the same as they will be this year.

There may have been speculation in the press about stopping Celtc winning it against the rangers, but they didn't really do much to stop it happening.

We were at home against them in the first game then it was the Hibs at Parkhead.

No-one on here would have deliberately chosen those fixtures never mind the SFA.

Onion
03-04-2019, 10:50 PM
Very impressive start by Hecky.

Sheep_Nae_Mair
03-04-2019, 10:50 PM

So which of the 5 other teams are we playing twice?

Hibbyradge
03-04-2019, 10:52 PM
So which of the 5 other teams are we playing twice?

We have 6 games left.

What have I missed?

Sheep_Nae_Mair
03-04-2019, 10:52 PM
6 games left to go out and enjoy, players and fans. Be brave, stick in.

When Saturday comes.

Keep marching on.

5 games.

Hibbyradge
03-04-2019, 10:54 PM
5 games.

We have a game against hearts on Saturday, then another 5 after the split.

:hilarious

Criswell
03-04-2019, 11:02 PM

Are we not due 3 home games after the split? Looking at the top six this may not happen.

MacGruber
03-04-2019, 11:02 PM
Felt today we had to win to be in with a shout for 3rd or 4th. Unfortunately we aren't going to make 6 points on Aberdeen or Killie.
The draw sees us in the top six and still in with a chance of overhauling Hearts for 5th.
Whilst disappointed to draw today cant be disappointed with securing top six and the progress made under Heckingbottom.
Feel now ultimately we will fall short and finish 6th but got some pride and optimism back.
Can't wait to see how Heckingbottom recruits and adding in Porteous, Martin Boyle and Scott Allan improves us massively for starters.

Sheep_Nae_Mair
03-04-2019, 11:12 PM
We have a game against hearts on Saturday, then another 5 after the split.

:hilarious

Sorry! Of course.

HibeeHibernian4
03-04-2019, 11:29 PM
They didn't you know. The fixtures were announced on Wednesday 11 April. Much the same as they will be this year.

There may have been speculation in the press about stopping Celtc winning it against the rangers, but they didn't really do much to stop it happening.

We were at home against them in the first game then it was the Hibs at Parkhead.

No-one on here would have deliberately chosen those fixtures never mind the SFA.

The split was confirmed on Sunday 1st April with Hearts' draw at Dundee.

There was another round of fixtures (Saturday 7th April) played, and the SPFL deliberately held off on releasing the fixtures until after this weekend because they would know when to avoid scheduling Celtic vs Rangers.

The Old Firm had originally been pencilled in for Sunday 22nd April, but this was changed as they opted to avoid a title showdown at Parkhead.

ian cruise
03-04-2019, 11:33 PM
I get the impression Heckingbottom is still very much playing things safe and sussing out both the competition and the league in general. Rather than find that frustrating that we're being so conservative it gives me hope that with a proper summer and preseason to prep, as well as full season of games against the opposition rather than one round of games, hell have most folks number and we'll be a force to be reckoned with.

I'd really like it if we took the shackles off now the nervousness about top 6bis gone however while there's two derbies and a chance of 4th I can't see us going too gung ho.

Unseen work
04-04-2019, 12:59 AM
Hamilton
Dundee
Rangers
Livingston
Killie
St Johnston
Motherwell

5 wins and 2 draws out of those games is brilliant, especially considering where we were. With Lennon I’m not convinced we would have beat St Johnston, Motherwell or Livi.

He has done a brilliant job of turning us round and we have a clear way we want to play, which I actually think won’t be too far off how Kilmarnock play.

Really looking forward to seeing us next season under Heckingbottom especially with his new signings plus the returns of Allan, Porteous and Boyle. 3 absolutley massive players with a lot of quality.

theonlywayisup
04-04-2019, 06:12 AM

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Whilst above is how it should pan out, it would give Aberdeen 20 home games and us 18, with everyone else 19. Easy solution is for us to play Aberdeen at Easter Road.

Phil MaGlass
04-04-2019, 09:48 AM
At last,

I TOLD YOU SO. Top six nae bother. Noo ontae 4th.

hibbyfraelibby
04-04-2019, 09:51 AM

Now top6 is confirmed they'll probably look to see what games the TV companies want to cover when first.

Can see them sending Celtic to Ibrox first game after split so title cannot be confirmed there. Can see them having Us v Them last game as the final "big game" of the season

hibbyfraelibby
04-04-2019, 09:54 AM

Not this year. Weekend after this no games due to cup semis followed by 5 straight Saturdays/Sundays with all matches on final week played Sunday at same time for top6.

Hibbyradge
04-04-2019, 09:59 AM
The split was confirmed on Sunday 1st April with Hearts' draw at Dundee.

There was another round of fixtures (Saturday 7th April) played, and the SPFL deliberately held off on releasing the fixtures until after this weekend because they would know when to avoid scheduling Celtic vs Rangers.

The Old Firm had originally been pencilled in for Sunday 22nd April, but this was changed as they opted to avoid a title showdown at Parkhead.

Are you sure?

I remember a lot of cynical speculation along those lines, but I don't remember anything as concrete as you do e.g. the original 22 April date

Billy Whizz
04-04-2019, 10:02 AM
Now top6 is confirmed they'll probably look to see what games the TV companies want to cover when first.

Can see them sending Celtic to Ibrox first game after split so title cannot be confirmed there. Can see them having Us v Them last game as the final "big game" of the season

Celtic can win the title 1st game after the split, if they beat Livingston on Saturday. Can’t see them being sent to Ibrox, if that’s the case

Hibbyradge
04-04-2019, 10:10 AM
Celtic can win the title 1st game after the split, if they beat Livingston on Saturday. Can’t see them being sent to Ibrox, if that’s the case

I think it's right that steps are taken to avoid that scenario.

Three people were stabbed last weekend after a match which increased the anger and animosity of the men with the Rangers scarves. As if their hatred wasn't deep enough.

The next fixture is likely to be explosive enough without adding the possibility of Celtc winning the league.

If it happens, it happens, but if I was making the decision, I'd do my best to avoid it.

Billy Whizz
04-04-2019, 10:12 AM

Three people were stabbed last weekend after a match which increased the anger and animosity of the men with the Rangers scarves.

The next fixture is likely to be explosive enough without adding the possibility of Celtc winning the league.

If it happens, it happens, but if I was making the decision, I'd do my best to avoid it.

Could be carnage if Celtic were to celebrate on the pitch, they should be allowed too if they win the League, but as you say, should be avoided at all costs

Peevemor
04-04-2019, 10:57 AM
I love this quote from Hecky.

"We’ve got Hearts twice then every other game will be against a top side."

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-boss-paul-heckingbottom-keen-to-see-how-side-handle-top-six-test-1-4901341

Tarrahib
04-04-2019, 11:03 AM
I love this quote from Hecky.

"We’ve got Hearts twice then every other game will be against a top side."

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-boss-paul-heckingbottom-keen-to-see-how-side-handle-top-six-test-1-4901341
Oh the beauty of the English language.

Argylehibby
04-04-2019, 11:15 AM
We have 6 games left.

What have I missed?

Hearts, once on Saturday before the split and once at a date to be decided after the split.

Carheenlea
04-04-2019, 11:18 AM

Three people were stabbed last weekend after a match which increased the anger and animosity of the men with the Rangers scarves. As if their hatred wasn't deep enough.

Sporting fixtures should never have to be arranged in such a way to avoid any club winning a game at a particular venue. In fact, fixtures should never have to be arranged round two clubs. Any fears over a fixture then play it behind closed doors and the rest of us can crack on.

HibeeHibernian4
04-04-2019, 12:21 PM
Are you sure?

I remember a lot of cynical speculation along those lines, but I don't remember anything as concrete as you do e.g. the original 22 April date

Yeah, I've given it a google and the only source I can find is The Sun, so for obvious reasons I'm not clicking on it or linking it, but that was what their 'exclusive' was. It was going to be 22nd April and then the possibility of Celtic winning the league against Rangers (at Parkhead for Christ's sakes) made them move it back a week. And it still ended up happening because we beat Celtic.

KeithTheHibby
04-04-2019, 12:32 PM

That's the spirit. I am pretty sure the club and the majority of the fans do not see it that way.

MacGruber
04-04-2019, 03:12 PM
That's the spirit. I am pretty sure the club and the majority of the fans do not see it that way.

I think the realistic hope of 3rd went with last nights draw we would now have to make up 7 or 9 points on Killie/Aberdeen and that is a big ask with only 6 hard games left.

Still making the top six was a brilliant acheivement from the point Heckingbottom took over. It is also there to overhaul Hearts but drawing last night means we have to leave Tynecastle at worst with a point to do so.

HibeeHibernian4
04-04-2019, 05:29 PM
I think the realistic hope of 3rd went with last nights draw we would now have to make up 7 or 9 points on Killie/Aberdeen and that is a big ask with only 6 hard games left.

Still making the top six was a brilliant acheivement from the point Heckingbottom took over. It is also there to overhaul Hearts but drawing last night means we have to leave Tynecastle at worst with a point to do so.

We're 6 points behind Kilmarnock and Aberdeen.

And losing at Tynecastle would have us 4 points behind with 5 games to play. It would be hard, but I don't think we're doomed to 6th if we do lose on Saturday.

MacGruber
04-04-2019, 06:08 PM
We're 6 points behind Kilmarnock and Aberdeen.

And losing at Tynecastle would have us 4 points behind with 5 games to play. It would be hard, but I don't think we're doomed to 6th if we do lose on Saturday.

I know we are 6 points behind killie and aberdeen but I mean for 3rd place and auto europe we have to make up at least 7 if they draw in their head to head or 9 on the team that wins that game.
If there is a winner in Killie v Aberdeen then it is 6 points we have to make up for fourth.

I like your optimism but i dont share it. Of course it is arithmetically possible to come back from 4 behind with 5 to play but I just think we wont. Hearts getting the boost from a derby victory and points gap. They wont lose all their other home games either due to the advantage they have of it being a tiny 7 a side park