PDA

View Full Version : Darren McGregor

Hibeesmad
03-04-2019, 09:56 AM
Sounds likely that Daz will sign a new contract. Here’s hoping.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-defender-darren-mcgregor-keen-to-agree-new-contract-1-4900439

Hibbyradge
03-04-2019, 09:58 AM
But he, along with Hanlon, Stevenson and Milligan are finished.

blackpoolhibs
03-04-2019, 10:20 AM

The term you are looking for is legs have gone. :wink:

Hibbyradge
03-04-2019, 10:25 AM

That too, but I actually did read a post saying that they were all finished. David Gray may have been mentioned too.

blackpoolhibs
03-04-2019, 10:47 AM
That too, but I actually did read a post saying that they were all finished. David Gray may have been mentioned too.

When we lose certain players legs have gone and they are finished, when we win we are brilliant unless its under Lennon and then we were lucky. :greengrin

HoboHarry
03-04-2019, 11:29 AM
He's Scottish ya daft b*****d....... (Not Milligan of course....)

allmodcons
03-04-2019, 11:33 AM

When we lose certain players legs have gone and they are finished, when we win we are brilliant unless its under Lennon and then we were lucky. :greengrin

The thread in question was about Whittaker and McGregor. Quality quote from our resident alien aka 'weegreenman' :-

"I’m just going to come straight out with this and I know I’ll get plenty of stick but I don’t really care. Whittaker, McGregor, Hanlon, Gray and Stevenson, they’re best days are well and truly behind them. Time for change".

I think we'd just lost a game or a goal or maybe just a corner :greengrin

Lewiehas2
03-04-2019, 11:43 AM
I'll be honest in saying I thought he was past it towards the end of last year (the free-kick he gave away against St Johnstone for their goal in the 1-0 win was case in point, and happening fairly regularly), but I'm delighted to be proved wrong. Daz has been a rock in this calendar year, back to his old self that we know and love, turns out it was just a little drop in form. We could do worse than keeping him around till he hangs up his boots :not worth

The 90+2
03-04-2019, 11:47 AM
The thread in question was about Whittaker and McGregor. Quality quote from our resident alien aka 'weegreenman' :-

"I’m just going to come straight out with this and I know I’ll get plenty of stick but I don’t really care. Whittaker, McGregor, Hanlon, Gray and Stevenson, they’re best days are well and truly behind them. Time for change".

I think we'd just lost a game or a goal or maybe just a corner :greengrin

To be fair there was a period between October and Jan where that could have been said. The extra 10% a player will do for the Head Coach they trust and like is evident. Daz will be a hibs player the next couple of years for definite.

pacoluna
03-04-2019, 12:44 PM
To be fair there was a period between October and Jan where that could have been said. The extra 10% a player will do for the Head Coach they trust and like is evident. Daz will be a hibs player the next couple of years for definite.

And there was a period the season before where he was tipped for getting a Scotland call up..

B.H.F.C
03-04-2019, 01:01 PM
I think McGregor has been doing fine lately. I think he’ll still be here next year, and I’m happy enough with him getting another year, but I’m not sure if he’ll be a regular.

The defence have went from finished to doing fine in the space of a few weeks. The next seven games, against the better sides in the league, will tell us a bit. I still think it’s an area that needs improved, especially since the loss of Efe.

Diclonius
03-04-2019, 01:17 PM
Tonight (and the split) will be a good indication of who in our defence is good enough to be a first team pick next season.

J-C
03-04-2019, 01:22 PM
It was not a happy changing room and performances by a good few players showed that, new manager and new up beat players.

Wakeyhibee
03-04-2019, 01:49 PM
Tonight (and the split) will be a good indication of who in our defence is good enough to be a first team pick next season.

Agree, we've done excellently to haul ourselves back but now is the real test.

Ronniekirk
03-04-2019, 01:51 PM
I'll be honest in saying I thought he was past it towards the end of last year (the free-kick he gave away against St Johnstone for their goal in the 1-0 win was case in point, and happening fairly regularly), but I'm delighted to be proved wrong. Daz has been a rock in this calendar year, back to his old self that we know and love, turns out it was just a little drop in form. We could do worse than keeping him around till he hangs up his boots :not worth

There were a few games he made crucial mistakes in that cost us dear and his distribution wasn’t great at times But he is Hibs through and through and his commitment is incredible and still wins balls in the air
If Backroom snd Medical Staff Think his condition can be managed so we get decent game time from him then it’s a no brained to give him a one year Contract

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MWHIBBIES
03-04-2019, 01:53 PM
assume the new deal is in a coaching role?

Michael
03-04-2019, 01:54 PM
assume the new deal is in a coaching role?

Why? He's not a coach.

MWHIBBIES
03-04-2019, 01:59 PM
Why? He's not a coach.

But he's over 30? He must be offered a coaching role? That's how it works on hibs.net.

HoboHarry
03-04-2019, 02:06 PM
But he's over 30? He must be offered a coaching role? That's how it works on hibs.net.
Na mate - the coaching role comes after the obligatory pay per play deal that no-one has ever signed.....

Pretty Boy
03-04-2019, 02:19 PM
People often moan about this forum having 'gone downhill' and I usually heartily disagree. Then a thread comes along which should provoke a bit debate on whether the player in question should be offered a new deal, will he be a starter, who do we have to add to compliment or compete with said player and so on. Instead we get a few snide remarks and the kind of point scoring pish that stops others from contributing.

It's a sad fact that the forum has gone massively downhill steadily and this thread is just one example of why.

MWHIBBIES
03-04-2019, 02:29 PM
People often moan about this forum having 'gone downhill' and I usually heartily disagree. Then a thread comes along which should provoke a bit debate on whether the player in question should be offered a new deal, will he be a starter, who do we have to add to compliment or compete with said player and so on. Instead we get a few snide remarks and the kind of point scoring pish that stops others from contributing.

It's a sad fact that the forum has gone massively downhill steadily and this thread is just one example of why.
God, it's just a joke aimed at those who absolutely slaughter club legends and want rid of them after a poor game. This place is absolutely toxic when we lose, that's the real bad thing, not a few jokes.

cabbageandribs1875
03-04-2019, 02:29 PM
Na mate - the coaching role comes after the obligatory pay per play deal that no-one has ever signed.....

cough..george best..cough :cb

HoboHarry
03-04-2019, 02:33 PM
cough..george best..cough :cb
Oh aye - I'm errrr, too young to remember that. Cough.... ahem......

Pretty Boy
03-04-2019, 02:35 PM
God, it's just a joke aimed at those who absolutely slaughter club legends and want rid of them after a poor game. This place is absolutely toxic when we lose, that's the real bad thing, not a few jokes.

Well since your the expert on the real problems you're welcome to try and sort it out. If you can tear yourself away from trying to start an argument in an empty room for 5 seconds.

HoboHarry
03-04-2019, 02:36 PM
:agree:

WhileTheChief..
03-04-2019, 02:37 PM
Best signing we’ve made in the last 10 years.

Love the guy.

MWHIBBIES
03-04-2019, 02:45 PM
Well since your the expert on the real problems you're welcome to try and sort it out. If you can tear yourself away from trying to start an argument in an empty room for 5 seconds.

Jesus, bit touchy there. Luckily I don't have thin skin or maybe being spoken to like that by an admin would put me off posting.

If you have a problem with my style then give me a warning. If not I'll continue.

I'm not claiming to be an expert on real problems, that's not my job. As a regular poster on here I just have the opinion that the toxic posting and the blatant trolling is much worse than a few snide comments.

Pretty Boy
03-04-2019, 02:51 PM
Jesus, bit touchy there. Luckily I don't have thin skin or maybe being spoken to like that by an admin would put me off posting.

If you have a problem with my style then give me a warning. If not I'll continue.

I'm not claiming to be an expert on real problems, that's not my job. As a regular poster on here I just have the opinion that the toxic posting and the blatant trolling is much worse than a few snide comments.

The 1st 2 replies on this thread are about as blatant as trolling gets (and evidently successful trolling given I've responded). Of course it all depends how we want to see things though so if you get a kick out of belittling other peoples opinions then they probably do read like jokes.

Believe it or not this isn't my job either; it's at best a massive pain in the erse that I could happily do without.

Centre Hawf
03-04-2019, 02:52 PM
Happy to have Daz stay at the club as a player for another year, I think next year he should be looking into doing some coaching because I would love him and some of his defensive teammates to be involved with the club somehow for years to come to serve as examples to the younger players that come through our ranks.

That being said despite a nice run of form his age IS starting to show at times for him. That's only natural and something that can't be helped. I just hope we look into replacements sooner rather than later and have Daz as a back up 4th choice behind Hanlon/Porteous and a new signing.

The same can be said for Gray and Stevenson, we need to find the future players who will step into their shoes in the future, Mackie is looking decent in Stevensons position at the moment so time will tell on him. But the lack of any real Right backs for us over the years is concerning.

Pilrig_Sauzee
03-04-2019, 03:32 PM
Want him to stay. Like many if our better players, they're not perfect and have dips in form. Hanlon being another one. But I believe that injuries aside, they come good, and the team and club as a whole benefits. I believe with the challenges the club faced this year, we would have worse of without them. Everyone has their footballing shelf-life at a club, but I don't think he's reached his yet. And we'll never have someone who loves winning a header more than him.

Putting a fiver on him to score tonight now!

we are hibs
03-04-2019, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't be adverse to him staying but I think it's also important we start looking at alternative options for these positions now rather than waiting until these guys leave/retire and then rushing about looking for stop gaps.

Out of the older part of the defence who is the youngest? Hanlon?

CMurdoch
03-04-2019, 04:05 PM
Darren will be 34 when next season starts

Played 30 matches last season and is on course to match that this season.

Strengths: tackling, heading, strength, leader
Weakness; distribution
Fitness Issues: Knees which restrict his ability to train(?)

IMO he is still playing well but the state of his knees is the issue which will dictate the contract

Suspect all things considered he will get another season.

SChibs
03-04-2019, 04:23 PM
I think we should be looking to sign a youngish first choice cb for next season with Daz being a squad player with some sort of coaching role. He's struggled against the pace of the killie forwards especially jones in the last few meetings so it will be interesting to see how he gets on tonight

pacoluna
03-04-2019, 04:24 PM
Darren will be 34 when next season starts

Played 30 matches last season and is on course to match that this season.

Strengths: tackling, heading, strength, leader
Weakness; distribution
Fitness Issues: Knees which restrict his ability to train(?)

IMO he is still playing well but the state of his knees is the issue which will dictate the contract

Suspect all things considered he will get another season.
Distribution? Did you see his 40 yard balls he was spraying against livi?

blackpoolhibs
03-04-2019, 04:27 PM
I think we should be looking to sign a youngish first choice cb for next season with Daz being a squad player with some sort of coaching role. He's struggled against the pace of the killie forwards especially jones in the last few meetings so it will be interesting to see how he gets on tonight

We already have that guy i Ryan Porteous.

Famous Fiver
03-04-2019, 04:28 PM
I know he is a big guy but 40 yard balls!!!!

My eyes are watering at the thought.

SChibs
03-04-2019, 04:29 PM
We already have that guy i Ryan Porteous.

True but I do think we need another centre half as well as porteous. Maybe not a starter but maybe a left footer for cover?

Ronniekirk
03-04-2019, 04:29 PM

Jones was injured but will no doubt play and yes if he does his pace will cause Daz and others problems
But tonight is all about our desire to keep winning run going given what’s at stake Doesn’t matter how we do it but always goals in this fixture and I expect that to be the case tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pacoluna
03-04-2019, 04:30 PM
It was not a happy changing room and performances by a good few players showed that, new manager and new up beat players.

Had absolutely nothing to do with that but rather the emergence of porteous, you know the guy who was outstanding before injury - that's why Daz wasn't getting game time.

blackpoolhibs
03-04-2019, 04:31 PM
True but I do think we need another centre half as well as porteous. Maybe not a starter but maybe a left footer for cover?

I thought you said you wanted a youngish first choice CB, i just pointed out we have one?

SChibs
03-04-2019, 04:43 PM
I thought you said you wanted a youngish first choice CB, i just pointed out we have one?

And I agree with you. I forgot we had porteous but I still think we need another cb for cover, preferably a left footer.

CMurdoch
03-04-2019, 04:55 PM

That's how he is unbeatable in the air.
Just climbs onto his 40 yard balls

ian cruise
03-04-2019, 05:04 PM
And I agree with you. I forgot we had porteous but I still think we need another cb for cover, preferably a left footer.

Ideally another CB who would be considered a first team player and he, Hanlon and Porteous can fight it out for the starting slots with Darren as back up keeping them on their toes knowing there's someone of his ability waiting in the sidelines.

That would give us 4 central defenders with potentially Milligan if we had a crisis. Would be ideal if we had another youngster ready to step up but I'm not sure that's the case.

The 90+2
03-04-2019, 05:27 PM

Lucky Missus tbh.

J-C
03-04-2019, 05:50 PM
Had absolutely nothing to do with that but rather the emergence of porteous, you know the guy who was outstanding before injury - that's why Daz wasn't getting game time.

Not gonna disagree with you on that but there was a real depression in the changing room which is now lifted with happy players again, happiness makes a huge difference, also getting a settled team and system is helping.
I'm happy for Daz to get another year at least, Hibs through and through and good around the club, I seem to remember Porteous saying how much Daz has helped his game.

hibbyfraelibby
04-04-2019, 05:07 PM

Maybes but he's had wheels fitted...

Smartie
04-04-2019, 05:42 PM
Best signing we’ve made in the last 10 years.

Love the guy.

I think that because we've had so many other good players who catch the eye a bit more over the past 5 years his contribution is often overlooked.

He's been a fantastic player for us.

The 90+2
04-04-2019, 08:50 PM
I think that because we've had so many other good players who catch the eye a bit more over the past 5 years his contribution is often overlooked.

He's been a fantastic player for us.

Only Cummings on a free has been better imo.

Bishop Hibee
04-04-2019, 08:56 PM
He deserves a 1 year deal. Our starting centre halves will probably be Hanlon and Porteous. We’ll sign another centre half if Milligan leaves though.

cabbageandribs1875
04-04-2019, 08:56 PM
Oh aye - I'm errrr, too young to remember that. Cough.... ahem......

:hilarious i/we wish

The 90+2
04-04-2019, 09:10 PM
He deserves a 1 year deal. Our starting centre halves will probably be Hanlon and Porteous. We’ll sign another centre half if Milligan leaves though.

Milligan signed a three year deal and has a touch of class about him. Rolls Royce of a midfielder.

tamig
04-04-2019, 09:12 PM

Milligan has been a revelation under the new man. Why on earth would he leave?

GreenOnions
04-04-2019, 10:20 PM

Indeed. He seems to have adapted to the speed of the game much better now. Positionally he's been very good and he passes the ball more quickly now. I'd be amazed if anyone at Hibs doesn't want him to stay with us.

The Modfather
04-04-2019, 10:29 PM
Indeed. He seems to have adapted to the speed of the game much better now. Positionally he's been very good and he passes the ball more quickly now. I'd be amazed if anyone at Hibs doesn't want him to stay with us.

We all see the game differently, but I’ve not seen what some others have in Milligan under Heckingbottom. His form has definitely improved and he’s had a fair few decent performances lately. The odd thunderous tackle looks great but I still wouldn’t be overly disappointed if he was to leave. Particularly if he’s one of the top earners as feel the recruitment team could recruit a younger, more mobile, player that has Milligan’s attributes.

I wouldn’t be dissapointed if he was to stay either though.

Bishop Hibee
04-04-2019, 10:31 PM
There were rumours on here that he wanted to return to Australia st the end of the season. I’d be happy if he stayed.

Brightside
04-04-2019, 10:32 PM
Mills is a good squad player. As a CDM he does a better job than Bartley imo. But he’s not a pivot player. Until we put that player in place we won’t see the kind of football that so many want to watch.

JohnM1875
04-04-2019, 10:40 PM
Man, I gave Daz so much stick when he came back from injury earlier in the season. Thought he was gone etc. But my word has he proved me wrong!! And I am honestly so, so happy about that! :D

CMurdoch
05-04-2019, 12:47 AM
Played well on Wednesday including smothering Boyd as he tried to pull the trigger near the end of the match.
A great defender on the ground and in the air..

overdrive
05-04-2019, 07:24 AM
Milligan signed a three year deal and has a touch of class about him. Rolls Royce of a midfielder.

Was there not chat that both parties had a break clause at the end of the season? He may well be away if that’s the case.

bigwheel
05-04-2019, 08:03 AM

There was Lots of chat that he wanted to leave at the end of the season ...that we pre the management change, so don’t know if he will feel happier now .....

Mango Man
05-04-2019, 08:13 AM
So glad Daz is back to form, I actually feel safer with him at the back than Hanlon, but both play well together too.

Allant1981
05-04-2019, 09:38 AM
He actually seems a wee bit more composed on the ball now as well, good to see players hitting a bit of form at this end of the season

ekhibee
05-04-2019, 11:59 AM
Nothing wrong with his performances recently, but I agree with 1 or 2 posters who suggest we should be looking for younger blood to fill these positions. I'd still keep him as he's pretty solid(maye a 1 year deal), but ideally I'd like him as a coach at Hibs. Just my opinion though.

Coco Bryce
05-04-2019, 12:09 PM
Nothing wrong with his performances recently, but I agree with 1 or 2 posters who suggest we should be looking for younger blood to fill these positions. I'd still keep him as he's pretty solid(maye a 1 year deal), but ideally I'd like him as a coach at Hibs. Just my opinion though.

Daz has been offered a decent deal. Playing and coaching roll seemingly.

All the remaining cup final winning players will have a job for life at Hibs wether it be in coaching or some other role.

GonzoReturns
05-04-2019, 01:02 PM
He is a player/person you would want by your side. He could become a very good coach and more. Communicates well and knows how hard you need to work to achieve success.

Smartie
05-04-2019, 01:25 PM
He is a player/person you would want by your side. He could become a very good coach and more. Communicates well and knows how hard you need to work to achieve success.

I remember Porteous giving an interview earlier this season where he was a bit lukewarm about Efe, fairly positive about Hanlon and was very enthusiastic about the positive influence of Daz.

Our very talented young centre-back couldn't ask for much more in a mentor.