View Full Version : Pre-Match Pub on Saturday

01-04-2019, 04:49 PM
What options are people looking at?
A Saturday not so bad as a Sunday, but still limited opportunities to get a few in before the early KO.

Hibeewilly
01-04-2019, 04:52 PM
Murrayfield Hotel opens at 9am as always for beers

Leith's finest
01-04-2019, 04:58 PM
The roseburn is always good, but they don't allow as many fans in these days like they used to

Here’s Lucy!
01-04-2019, 05:06 PM
Got to be the Roseburn.

Wee greasy spoon almost opposite it, called the Roseburn Cafe, does a great breakfast too.

01-04-2019, 05:12 PM
Plenty pubs in Edinburgh open early if you fancy a taxi dash to the game.

As said above if looking for somewhere nearby then the Murrayfield Hotel will also be open early doors. If they have the tent out the front up service is usually pretty quick.

01-04-2019, 05:23 PM
The roseburn is always good, but they don't allow as many fans in these days like they used to

Got to be the Roseburn.

Wee greasy spoon almost opposite it, called the Roseburn Cafe, does a great breakfast too.

Not packed with Jambos on matchdays?

01-04-2019, 05:44 PM

The Roseburn?

01-04-2019, 05:48 PM
The Roseburn?

I've never been in it.

01-04-2019, 05:59 PM
I've never been in it.

Rammed with Hibs fans pre-match, as is the Murrayfield Hotel. The Murrayfield Bar less so but open from 9am so I expect it to be busy this time.

01-04-2019, 06:01 PM

I would say it is mostly Hibs fans on derby day but not been there for a couple of years.

01-04-2019, 06:02 PM
Murrayfield hotel for me :aok:

And good luck to any Jambos that try to get into The Roseburn pre-match on derby day :faf:

BS44
01-04-2019, 06:08 PM
Anywhere near the choo choo station that opens early? 9am start would be good but I can just about hold off till 10.

01-04-2019, 06:08 PM
Rammed with Hibs fans pre-match, as is the Murrayfield Hotel. The Murrayfield Bar less so but open from 9am so I expect it to be busy this time.

I would say it is mostly Hibs fans on derby day but not been there for a couple of years.

Okay, cheers :aok:

01-04-2019, 06:09 PM
Murrayfield and Roseburn are the two old favourites - and are fine if you don't mind being packed in like sardines, and like a raucous atmosphere with high risk of drink getting spilled over you. To be honest personally that's not really for me any more, we had made Diane's the preferred option over recent years, but sadly that has gone. Was always a mixed crowd, but being able to share bar space with Jambos without feeling like resorting to violence that wasn't a problem. Thinking of Platform 5 for this one, open early and I was in last Sat afternoon and it was a mixed crowd with a lot of Aberdeen without any problems.

01-04-2019, 06:41 PM
Anywhere near the choo choo station that opens early? 9am start would be good but I can just about hold off till 10.

The Booking Office at Waverley is a Wetherspoons and open at 7am. You'll get a pint as long as you buy a bacon roll or something.

01-04-2019, 06:45 PM
Bacon butty and a cup of tea on the sofa at home for me ........ you lucky so and so's.

I suppose there are worse situations to find yourself in than being at home with a bacon butty and brew on the go with the Hib Hearts match on the box come to think about it.

01-04-2019, 06:50 PM
Bacon butty and a cup of tea on the sofa at home for me ........ you lucky so and so's.

I suppose there are worse situations to find yourself in than being at home with a bacon butty and brew on the go with the Hib Hearts match on the box come to think about it.

Did you try for a ticket or can you just not make it this week?

01-04-2019, 06:52 PM
I passed Murrayfield the other day and theres a tent like bar place on the water of leith side of the road now as well, not sure if that will be open on Saturday though.

01-04-2019, 06:57 PM
Did you try for a ticket or can you just not make it this week?

I never make it remotely close to getting a ticket for Tynecastle especially not being a season ticket holder these days.

01-04-2019, 06:57 PM
I passed Murrayfield the other day and theres a tent like bar place on the water of leith side of the road now as well, not sure if that will be open on Saturday though.

A pop up Malones. Was opened for the 6 nations, I would have thought they'd have tried to stay open for the Edinburgh v Munster game and then the derby if it were up to them. :dunno:

01-04-2019, 07:25 PM
A pop up Malones. Was opened for the 6 nations, I would have thought they'd have tried to stay open for the Edinburgh v Munster game and then the derby if it were up to them. :dunno:

Was open for the Munster game and only got a licence for the Wales game. Not heard anything about the derby, would presume they won’t be open for the derby since it was a rugby charity that arranged for Malones to host the pop up bar.

Tent at Murrayfield Hotel will be up for this weekend.

01-04-2019, 07:44 PM
I take it the new pub where Diane’s once was isn’t an early opener at more?

01-04-2019, 07:49 PM
The Booking Office at Waverley is a Wetherspoons and open at 7am. You'll get a pint as long as you buy a bacon roll or something.
Wetherspoons branches don’t start serving alcohol until 9am, it’s just breakfast and brews before then.

01-04-2019, 07:58 PM

Caley Picture House Lothian Road is cheaper than the Booking Office and nearer Tiny

Apparently the Booking Office have to keep their prices higher because of their proximity to Waverley Station ??

01-04-2019, 08:00 PM

11am

01-04-2019, 08:15 PM

No, 11.00 sadly.

01-04-2019, 08:20 PM
I'm sure you'd get a warm welcome in Dickens! 😁 (Opens at 0900).

01-04-2019, 08:31 PM
Caley Picture House Lothian Road is cheaper than the Booking Office and nearer Tiny

Apparently the Booking Office have to keep their prices higher because of their proximity to Waverley Station ??

Booking Office is part of Waverley station, and as I understand the station owners effectively get a cut.

01-04-2019, 08:31 PM

Hello! Hello!

01-04-2019, 08:32 PM

Went in post-match once.

Power
01-04-2019, 08:32 PM
Might check out the Windsor and it’s new 9am licence before jumping oan the tram.

01-04-2019, 08:35 PM
Murrayfield and Roseburn are the two old favourites - and are fine if you don't mind being packed in like sardines, and like a raucous atmosphere with high risk of drink getting spilled over you. To be honest personally that's not really for me any more, we had made Diane's the preferred option over recent years, but sadly that has gone. Was always a mixed crowd, but being able to share bar space with Jambos without feeling like resorting to violence that wasn't a problem. Thinking of Platform 5 for this one, open early and I was in last Sat afternoon and it was a mixed crowd with a lot of Aberdeen without any problems.
The Hampton next to the Murrayfield is better if you prefer it a bit less raucous.

01-04-2019, 08:37 PM

How does that actually pan out? Do you have to buy grub with every pint?

01-04-2019, 08:39 PM
Went in post-match once.

On a non Tynecastle match day there's usually more Hibbies than Jambos.

01-04-2019, 08:45 PM
On a non Tynecastle match day there's usually more Hibbies than Jambos.

Hopefully not amongst the assorted drop-outs etc who can always be seen outside for a smoke whenever I pass!

Mick O'Rourke
01-04-2019, 08:47 PM
I've never been in it.

Its a bit like Middleton's on days the "bigger supports" come along
Hertz ,Dons, Celtic and sevco will take over Middleton's on those match days.
The Roseburn is likewise.
We use to head down the road from the Rosie and go to the Beechwood bowling club .
I don't know if that place is still open
But wont be as jam packed(no pun intended) as the Rosie
It's a big club.

Edit
Dickens on non match (hertz at home) days has a few Hibernian regulars.
ST holders too !!

01-04-2019, 08:47 PM

What time does the Tynie Arms open? :greengrin

01-04-2019, 10:28 PM
What time does the Tynie Arms open? :greengrin

Nae idea, not been in there for about 25 years.

Daydreamer
01-04-2019, 10:55 PM
Might check out the Windsor and it’s new 9am licence before jumping oan the tram.

Great idea will speak to the other 2 and put this to them. Nice 2 hours in the boozer with a few maroon hate juices.

01-04-2019, 11:20 PM

Start queuing at 8am to get in.

02-04-2019, 04:59 AM
How does that actually pan out? Do you have to buy grub with every pint?

It dowsn’t pan out at all as another has said no alcohol is served until 9am.

02-04-2019, 09:11 AM
Confirmed that Platform 5 is open from 07.00 for non-alcohol & breakfast, licensed to serve alcohol from 9.00, thats where we will be.

seanshow
02-04-2019, 10:56 AM
We've been frequenting the boozers on Melvile Street for the last few away derbies for a bit more of a relaxed start,
Looks like they are opening 10am at the earliest though, so won't suit most Alchies :greengrin

02-04-2019, 03:35 PM
The Mercat is another confirmed as open for alcohol from 09.00.

Leith's finest
02-04-2019, 04:26 PM
Just thought people would like to know the prison officers club is now shut incase anybody was thinking about going there

Here’s Lucy!
02-04-2019, 04:29 PM
We've been frequenting the boozers on Melvile Street for the last few away derbies for a bit more of a relaxed start,
Looks like they are opening 10am at the earliest though, so won't suit most Alchies :greengrin

The pubs on Melville Street are pretty good, this is a good idea!

02-04-2019, 04:32 PM
Its a bit like Middleton's on days the "bigger supports" come along
Hertz ,Dons, Celtic and sevco will take over Middleton's on those match days.
The Roseburn is likewise.
We use to head down the road from the Rosie and go to the Beechwood bowling club .
I don't know if that place is still open
But wont be as jam packed(no pun intended) as the Rosie
It's a big club.

Edit
Dickens on non match (hertz at home) days has a few Hibernian regulars.
ST holders too !!

Beechwood will be members only Mick, unless you know someone in there who will sign you in. Also, they tend to just open the upstairs bar these days so vastly reduced capacity (the bigger bar downstairs only opens when Scotland are at Murrayfield I think, and for functions).

02-04-2019, 04:59 PM
Confirmed that Platform 5 is open from 07.00 for non-alcohol & breakfast, licensed to serve alcohol from 9.00, thats where we will be.

Are under 18s allowed in there?

02-04-2019, 05:00 PM

Which pubs on Melville Street are open from 10?

02-04-2019, 05:02 PM

Surely your wee one is a bit young yet? :greengrin

02-04-2019, 05:04 PM
Surely your wee one is a bit young yet? :greengrin

Haha yes he is however my niece goes to games with me and she's 16. Just wondering if she'd be allowed in there.

02-04-2019, 05:06 PM
Haha yes he is however my niece goes to games with me and she's 16. Just wondering if she'd be allowed in there.

Most girls at 16 can easily pass for 18 anyway. I'm sure it'll be fine, especially if accompanied.

02-04-2019, 05:07 PM
Just thought people would like to know the prison officers club is now shut incase anybody was thinking about going there

Has it closed for good? I thought it was doing well.

I googled it, went under with debts of £60k.

02-04-2019, 05:11 PM
Most girls at 16 can easily pass for 18 anyway. I'm sure it'll be fine, especially if accompanied.

Aye true but not her, especially as she'll have Hibs colours on.

andrew70
02-04-2019, 05:40 PM

That’s where our group is headed.

Mick O'Rourke
02-04-2019, 08:16 PM
Beechwood will be members only Mick, unless you know someone in there who will sign you in. Also, they tend to just open the upstairs bar these days so vastly reduced capacity (the bigger bar downstairs only opens when Scotland are at Murrayfield I think, and for functions).

Changed days, like a lot of other social clubs these days of all day opening(smoking ban)
If anyone going to the game knows a member there, its worth a try.
I knew many members back in the day and used the club a lot.
The top bar was where they put the fans
But regulars still drank downstairs and "preferred guests ":na na:

The Roseburn for me was way to packed.

On Bowling Clubs
Some here may be familiar with the Mount Florida Bowling Club near Hampden
Its possibly closing down this year
Although the local community want to buy it and keep it "free space" and not the housing that has been proposed from the club owners.
Lovely club in very nice settings

Just a heads up for Cup semi finals and final plans next season:wink:

02-04-2019, 08:21 PM

The Beechwood generally was a great place to go, except for the night my old man and I won the bingo then called out the Neil Diamond impersonator for miming to backing tapes and were asked to leave. 🍺😁

Mick O'Rourke
02-04-2019, 08:32 PM

Awfy dear shoap,these days !!

02-04-2019, 08:41 PM

Yes, U18s are allowed in Platform 5, only in the main bit up the stairs, and you need a seat so would get there early, was knocked back before the Bonnyrigg Rose game because that area was full when I had my son with me.

BS44
02-04-2019, 08:45 PM

I'm boycotting all Wetherspoons at the moment, colleague at work said the Bank Hotel on the Royal Mile opens early.

02-04-2019, 09:08 PM
It dowsn’t pan out at all as another has said no alcohol is served until 9am.

Yes but I’ve seen this arrangement spoken about with other pubs. And I don’t know what the set up is with the food and drink. Does one food item cover you for your full session until the normal licensing arrangements kick in or do you need to buy food with each pint?

02-04-2019, 09:14 PM
I'm boycotting all Wetherspoons at the moment, colleague at work said the Bank Hotel on the Royal Mile opens early.

Boycotting Wetherspoons 🤣 Most people fear going into one...

linlithgowhibbie
02-04-2019, 09:23 PM

Hi HC,

they were dismantling it on Monday lunchtime so suspect it will be a no goer,

BG:thumbsup:

02-04-2019, 09:28 PM
Yes but I’ve seen this arrangement spoken about with other pubs. And I don’t know what the set up is with the food and drink. Does one food item cover you for your full session until the normal licensing arrangements kick in or do you need to buy food with each pint?

No food required in Spoons for a 9am bevvy.

03-04-2019, 01:09 AM
Yes, U18s are allowed in Platform 5, only in the main bit up the stairs, and you need a seat so would get there early, was knocked back before the Bonnyrigg Rose game because that area was full when I had my son with me.

Brilliant mate, thank for that.

03-04-2019, 01:10 AM
Hi HC,

they were dismantling it on Monday lunchtime so suspect it will be a no goer,

BG:thumbsup:

No worries B, cheers for the info. :aok:

Hulk1875
03-04-2019, 03:10 AM
Ferryboat

03-04-2019, 06:45 AM
Brilliant mate, thank for that.

Thought you would have known all about Platform 5 🚂

03-04-2019, 07:02 AM
Changed days, like a lot of other social clubs these days of all day opening(smoking ban)
If anyone going to the game knows a member there, its worth a try.
I knew many members back in the day and used the club a lot.
The top bar was where they put the fans
But regulars still drank downstairs and "preferred guests ":na na:

The Roseburn for me was way to packed.

On Bowling Clubs
Some here may be familiar with the Mount Florida Bowling Club near Hampden
Its possibly closing down this year
Although the local community want to buy it and keep it "free space" and not the housing that has been proposed from the club owners.
Lovely club in very nice settings

Just a heads up for Cup semi finals and final plans next season:wink:

You might know a few in there yet (ma auld man was a member for a long time, and quite a few lads from his days are still using the club). I have it on good authority that it remains one of the best pints of McEwan's 80 bob in the city; the heid barman/ bar steward keeps his beer well. Worth sampling if you can negotiate your way in!

03-04-2019, 07:44 AM
Thought you would have known all about Platform 5 🚂

When I worked at Haymarket there was only 4 platforms:greengrin, zero was added a few years later.

04-04-2019, 03:44 PM
Caley Picture House for us :aok:

04-04-2019, 03:52 PM
Caley Picture House for us :aok:

I’m still gutted they took one of the very few decent, mid sized, music venues we have and turned it into another generic Wetherspoon’s :-(

04-04-2019, 03:57 PM
I’m still gutted they took one of the very few decent, mid sized, music venues we have and turned it into another generic Wotherspoon’s :-(

Agreed - saw The Smiths there the night before my English Higher way back - good venue, tbh

Theres lots of music going on in Edinburgh, but all in small pubs or sometimes Summerhall or Leith Theatre - nowt "up town"

Dunfyhibee
04-04-2019, 06:55 PM
Planning on heading to the Murray field hotel on Saturday, does anyone know when it definitely opens?

04-04-2019, 07:05 PM
Agreed - saw The Smiths there the night before my English Higher way back - good venue, tbh

Theres lots of music going on in Edinburgh, but all in small pubs or sometimes Summerhall or Leith Theatre - nowt "up town"

Saw a good Manchester band in Sneaky Petes on Saturday night. Deserving of a much bigger venue. The Picture House was a great venue. Gutted when it closed.

05-04-2019, 09:05 AM
Major dilemma here, do I get the train up from Ayr at 8am for beers or drive up and go to the match sober?

05-04-2019, 09:33 AM
Start queuing at 8am to get in.

No chance. It was absolutely fine getting in and served before the last derby :agree:

05-04-2019, 11:13 AM
The Melville Bar at Haymarket is open at 10am, all Hibees welcome.

05-04-2019, 11:48 AM
Major dilemma here, do I get the train up from Ayr at 8am for beers or drive up and go to the match sober?

https://www.thetrainline.com/ :greengrin

05-04-2019, 12:34 PM

Go to tynecastle sober?? 🤣🤣🤣

05-04-2019, 04:25 PM
Saw a good Manchester band in Sneaky Petes on Saturday night. Deserving of a much bigger venue. The Picture House was a great venue. Gutted when it closed.

Still gigging at your age Tam !! :greengrin

05-04-2019, 06:48 PM
Still gigging at your age Tam !! :greengrin

Absolutely Niall. Cannae beat it 👍