PDA

View Full Version : Craig Halkett

CMurdoch
01-04-2019, 01:22 PM
Has signed a 3 year pre contract with Hearts
Aberdeen type signing of recent years

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/halkett-agrees-hearts-move?fbclid=IwAR1HpH6tuWnx-W4BYZx246lCYDIbeFkknmaUmUdDiaDTSiKKs90eZRcZlcw

have we missed a trick there?

JimBHibees
01-04-2019, 01:26 PM

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/halkett-agrees-hearts-move?fbclid=IwAR1HpH6tuWnx-W4BYZx246lCYDIbeFkknmaUmUdDiaDTSiKKs90eZRcZlcw

Good move for him. Not sure what you mean by Aberdeen signing as they have signed some dross as well as decent signings as have Hearts. Assume Souttar might be heading somewhere.

TheHarpy76
01-04-2019, 01:32 PM
Good move for him. Not sure what you mean by Aberdeen signing as they have signed some dross as well as decent signings as have Hearts. Assume Souttar might be heading somewhere.

I think Souttar signed a new deal with them recently so they would probably get a big transfer fee for him.

Regardless, think this could be a cracking signing for them unfortunately.

CMurdoch
01-04-2019, 01:36 PM

Aberdeen have signed players doing well for Scottish teams in the top league e.g.
Kenny McLean from St Mirren, Lewis Ferguson from Hamilton etc

JimBHibees
01-04-2019, 01:38 PM
I think Souttar signed a new deal with them recently so they would probably get a big transfer fee for him.

We will see maybe better being big fish in small pool at Livi.

calumhibee1
01-04-2019, 01:40 PM

Souttar won’t be going anywhere for big money. A better than average player in Scotland won’t be an attractive proposition for English teams with big budgets.

The 90+2
01-04-2019, 01:41 PM
Good player. Let’s see what our HC has for us in the summer. I’m going to guess better than Haulket.

TheHarpy76
01-04-2019, 01:45 PM
Souttar won’t be going anywhere for big money. A better than average player in Scotland won’t be an attractive proposition for English teams with big budgets.

Maybe, but in my opinion he’s better than McKenna and Aberdeen have had big offers for him.

500miles
01-04-2019, 01:47 PM
Is he as good as Porto?

matty_f
01-04-2019, 01:57 PM
Is he as good as Porto?

No.

Billy Whizz
01-04-2019, 02:01 PM
Is he as good as Porto?

Not a patch

bod
01-04-2019, 02:11 PM
strange that a player who's out of contract signs for a team this early when he doesnt have to sign for anyone till pre-season starts.
good luck to the lad except when he faces us

Diclonius
01-04-2019, 02:12 PM
Good player.

TheHarpy76
01-04-2019, 02:15 PM
strange that a player who's out of contract signs for a team this early when he doesnt have to sign for anyone till pre-season starts.

What’s strange about it? It happens all the time.
We’ve done it with Allan!

Apologies if I’ve misinterpreted your post.

Billy Whizz
01-04-2019, 02:40 PM

He said on an interview pre match on Friday, that’s he hadn’t signed for anyone, and would wait until the end of the season

flash
01-04-2019, 02:40 PM
He will replace the brown trout.

Onceinawhile
01-04-2019, 02:41 PM
Presumably done and dusted a few weeks ago, but left until livi couldn't make the top 6.

No idea if he's a good signing or not tbh.

Tarrahib
01-04-2019, 03:03 PM
Maybe, but in my opinion he’s better than McKenna and Aberdeen have had big offers for him.
Did you not see McKenna and Shinnie play recently play for Scotland.They weren't that good.Porteous and Mckie are better for us.

TheHarpy76
01-04-2019, 03:08 PM
Did you not see McKenna and Shinnie play recently play for Scotland.They weren't that good.Porteous and Mckie are better for us.

Yes, I did.
I’m not really sure what your point is.

Tarrahib
01-04-2019, 03:13 PM
Yes, I did.
They werna that good for Scotland.At least there is a fair chance Porteous and Mackie can play better than that.

TheHarpy76
01-04-2019, 03:18 PM
They werna that good for Scotland.At least there is a fair chance Porteous and Mackie can play better than that.

I never mentioned Porteous or Mackie.

Tarrahib
01-04-2019, 03:20 PM
Yes, I did.
My point is that the both of them arnae very good.We have better in Porteuos and Mackie.

JimBHibees
01-04-2019, 03:22 PM
My point is that the both of them arnae very good.We have better in Porteuos and Mackie.

Porteous and Mackie are promising talents especially Ryan however nowhere near the consistent level of McKenna and Shinnie.

MagicSwirlingShip
01-04-2019, 03:24 PM
Good signing for them.

TheHarpy76
01-04-2019, 03:25 PM

Souttar is a very good defender. It would be churlish to suggest otherwise.
At this moment I would say he’s better than Mackie and not much between him and Porteuos.

Tarrahib
01-04-2019, 03:26 PM
Porteous and Mackie are promising talents especially Ryan however nowhere near the consistent level of McKenna and Shinnie.
Have you not seen them play recently.I mean the Aberdeen players.Theyre no very good.

SChibs
01-04-2019, 03:31 PM
Have you not seen them play recently.I mean the Aberdeen players.Theyre no very good.

Yet they are first picks in a team above us in the league and who we haven't beaten this season

Tarrahib
01-04-2019, 03:36 PM
Yet they are first picks in a team above us in the league and who we haven't beaten this season
My point is they are playing for Scotland and they are not any better than our young players who must be close to the Scotland set up.

The Modfather
01-04-2019, 03:49 PM
My point is they are playing for Scotland and they are not any better than our young players who must be close to the Scotland set up.

Mackie is a million miles away from the Scotland squad. He needs to get into the Hibs team first. Porteous, if he picks up where he was pre injury and continues to progress won’t be far off a call up IMO.

Here’s Lucy!
01-04-2019, 03:53 PM
Good player. Let’s see what our HC has for us in the summer. I’m going to guess better than Haulket.

That's a strange one from you.

Craig Halkett is probably the best young centre-back in Scotland right now. Who do you think we could sign (or afford) that is better?

We've missed a trick here, and we know it.

bigwheel
01-04-2019, 03:53 PM

Come on. None of our young players are anywhere near the levels of McKenna or Shinnie - I’d also add Lewis Ferguson into that mix too..

Tbh. Other than Porteous, I’m not sure any of our youngsters around the first team
Will make it at ER...Fraser Murray perhaps the exception

Hope I’m proved wrong of course - would
Love to see them blossom into top pro’s...

Billy Whizz
01-04-2019, 03:57 PM

Craig Halkett is probably the best young centre-back in Scotland right now. Who do you think we could sign (or afford) that is better?

Do we need a right sided centre back, I don’t think so

Here’s Lucy!
01-04-2019, 04:01 PM

Not really my point, but I take yours on board.

Tarrahib
01-04-2019, 04:02 PM
Come on. None of our young players are anywhere near the levels of McKenna or Shinnie - I’d also add Lewis Ferguson into that mix too..

Tbh. Other than Porteous, I’m not sure any of our youngsters around the first team
Will make it at ER...Fraser Murray perhaps the exception

Hope I’m proved wrong of course - would
Love to see them blossom into top pro’s...
have faith in our own young boys before you talk up other teams young boysI I hope that Heck believes in our young boys.Have you seen our Reserve/ development team recently?

TheHarpy76
01-04-2019, 04:04 PM
have faith in our own young boys before you talk up other teams young boysI I hope that Heck believes in our young boys.Have you seen our Reserve/ development team recently?

There’s a difference between having faith in our young players and over hyping them.
Trying to say Mackie is currently better than McKenna is crazy.

Brightside
01-04-2019, 04:04 PM

Correct - we cant just sign players for the sake of it. We need another Left sided CB to cover for Paul. As for the qn on young players making it at Easter Rd. I fully expect Mackie to play 20+ games next season, and Fraser Murray also. Also expect to see Kane O'Connor becoming a regular within 3 years.

HIBERNIAN-0762
01-04-2019, 04:09 PM
What on earth is he thinking about signing for those cheating maroon morons? Clearly no ambition.

Tarrahib
01-04-2019, 04:10 PM
There’s a difference between having faith in our young players and over hyping them.
Trying to say Mackie is currently better than McKenna is crazy.
I'm saying Porteous is better than McKenna and Mackie will be better than Shinnie at left back?

Brightside
01-04-2019, 04:12 PM
I'm saying Porteous is better than McKenna and Mackie will be better than Shinnie at left back?

Porteous isnt better than half the SPL defenders at the moment. He could well continue to improve but hes is nowhere near that just yet. I also think Mackie will be top level but again not yet.

bigwheel
01-04-2019, 04:28 PM

Porteous has a real chance to make it - whether he will play at the level McKenna will is to be debated..but has a real chance. McKenna looks the best CH prospect out of Scotland for 15+ years - so cannot see how your view stacks up at the mo..

We have seen little defensively from Mackie yet to suggest he could be a first team regular left back at our place ...

B.H.F.C
01-04-2019, 04:31 PM

We need good centre backs full stop. All we have contracted for next year is Porteous and Hanlon. One is going to be coming back from injury and one has been in questionable form.

We still need to replace Ambrose as well.

It’s an area of the team that needs strengthened.

hibbysam
01-04-2019, 04:31 PM
Porteous has a real chance to make it - whether he will play at the level McKenna will is to be debated..but has a real chance. McKenna looks the best CH prospect out of Scotland for 15+ years - so cannot see how your view stacks up at the mo..

We have seen little defensively from Mackie yet to suggest he could be a first team regular left back at our place ...

McKenna is a hyped up big slow lump. Aye he might win headers but any striker with skill or pace, or just a bigger lump (Ikpeazu) then he hasn’t got a clue.

bigwheel
01-04-2019, 04:33 PM
McKenna is a hyped up big slow lump. Aye he might win headers but any striker with skill or pace, or just a bigger lump (Ikpeazu) then he hasn’t got a clue.

lol. neither is he slow, or just a lump - although he certainly got bullied for that goal from the Hearts boy didn't he! I'll give you that..

Decent passer of the ball too...he is player (imho)- will play at a good level...

Heisenberg
01-04-2019, 04:33 PM

Ryan Porteous is better than Halkett.

Here’s Lucy!
01-04-2019, 04:35 PM
What on earth is he thinking about signing for those cheating maroon morons? Clearly no ambition.

Playing Devils Advocate here. :wink:

He may just have signed for this years SC winners! I very much doubt that they could beat Celtic or Aberdeen in the final (assuming they get past ICT) but, you just never know. :dunno:

I'm sure your post was tongue in cheek and likewise, so is mine. :aok:

Tarrahib
01-04-2019, 04:36 PM

having watched McKenna if this is Scotland's best what chance have we got?

Fergos
01-04-2019, 05:14 PM

I think Porto is the best young prospect in Scotland right now at CB, would take Porto over Halkett any day.

GGTTH

04Sauzee
01-04-2019, 05:20 PM
lol. neither is he slow, or just a lump - although he certainly got bullied for that goal from the Hearts boy didn't he! I'll give you that..

Decent passer of the ball too...he is player (imho)- will play at a good level...

I can't see what people see in McKenna, he is decent but nothing special at all

Ozyhibby
01-04-2019, 05:26 PM
Porto has a chance but has a lot to learn. Tends to jump into tackles too often, needs to spend less time on the ground.
Mackie is miles away and if he can’t force out Lewis Stevenson then there is no point talking about him in the same terms as the others mentioned on the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibernia&Alba
01-04-2019, 05:28 PM
I haven't seen much of him, but he's looked good when I've watched him. Could be a good signing for Hearts.

MWHIBBIES
01-04-2019, 05:30 PM

Shinnie is a much better player than Mackie, don't be silly.

bigwheel
01-04-2019, 05:40 PM
Ryan Porteous is better than Halkett.

What makes you say that? Would Porteous have been Captain of Livi for the last two seasons?? Don't think he would have - definitely a high potential player - but I'd say Halkett is more advanced than Porteous is at this time.

superfurryhibby
01-04-2019, 05:51 PM
I think Porto is the best young prospect in Scotland right now at CB, would take Porto over Halkett any day.

GGTTH

Totally agree.

I can't see what people see in McKenna, he is decent but nothing special at all

I’ve said the same a few times myself. Overrated player in my view.

Porto has a chance but has a lot to learn. Tends to jump into tackles too often, needs to spend less time on the ground.
Mackie is miles away and if he can’t force out Lewis Stevenson then there is no point talking about him in the same terms as the others mentioned on the thread”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Porteous will get better with good coaching and experience. He’s a long way from the finished article, but he’s already shown his credentials and he will return and have a huge impact next season.

To the poster saying Hibs have missed a trick, what does that even mean ? When we sign Scott Allan does that mean every team aspiring to be better than us have missed a trick too? Halkett doesn’t really set my pulse racing. I would rather have McGregor signed up for another season.

cannastar
01-04-2019, 05:54 PM
I reckon Stuart Findlay from Kilmarnock is as good as anyone previously mentioned.Can see him featuring for Scotland in years to come and woudnt mind him with us alongside Paul or Ryan.

bod
01-04-2019, 05:56 PM
What’s strange about it? It happens all the time.
We’ve done it with Allan!

Apologies if I’ve misinterpreted your post.

think we all knew we'd offer Celtic something for SA early & get him in January,where hertz cant offer anything now.
it looks as though Halkett's signed for the 1st club that's enquired about him

Borderhibbie76
01-04-2019, 06:01 PM
Porteous and Mackie are promising talents especially Ryan however nowhere near the consistent level of McKenna and Shinnie.McKenna is the biggest myth in Scottish football...nowhere near as good as hes made out to be imo

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

500miles
01-04-2019, 06:02 PM
Shinnie is a much better player than Mackie, don't be silly.

Maybe not at left back after his Scotland showing. 😑

Borderhibbie76
01-04-2019, 06:04 PM
Playing Devils Advocate here. :wink:

He may just have signed for this years SC winners! I very much doubt that they could beat Celtic or Aberdeen in the final (assuming they get past ICT) but, you just never know. :dunno:

I'm sure your post was tongue in cheek and likewise, so is mine. :aok:U enjoy talking them up dont u???

bigwheel
01-04-2019, 06:05 PM
McKenna is the biggest myth in Scottish football...nowhere near as good as hes made out to be imo

Think you are calling this one wrong..

He has pace, Quick feet for a big guy, can play - not just a big lump...good in the air, as well as the ground. Think he has a great chance of playing at EPL level. Depends on his development and injuries ofcourse- but not many are of that standard in Scotland at his age. He has all the attributes to do well..

Time will tell..

Lago
01-04-2019, 06:32 PM

Good player.

allmodcons
01-04-2019, 06:34 PM
Good player and decent signing for them. Would have liked to see him at Hibs.

The 90+2
01-04-2019, 06:50 PM

Clutch and the straws mate as I’ve touted The Haulket chat for a wee will. I’m hoping we have others lined up as pissed off mised out 👍

SChibs
01-04-2019, 07:18 PM
If McKenna is as bad as people are making out on here why did Villa bid 7m for him in the summer? That's over double what they gave us for McGinn

Since452
01-04-2019, 07:41 PM
I'd have taken him as a possible long term replacement for McGregor but we already have that in Porteous who is going to be a star. Can't have too many good players though.

joebakerforever
01-04-2019, 07:49 PM
Halkett's long distance throw-ins are an ideal fit for Levein's tactics at Tynecastle's tight pitch.

son of haggart
01-04-2019, 08:00 PM

I can see why theey do though -in football you are always one injury and/ or a loss of form away from the end of your career - 3 yr contract must be tempting

Tyler Durden
01-04-2019, 08:40 PM
Halkett is a good signing for Hearts but they already had 4 strong centre backs. It’s guile and midfield quality they lack. Halkett isn’t going to improve them IMO.

As for Porto and McKenna. Porto is 2 years younger than McKenna and they’re both excellent players now. People claiming Porteous is inconsistent or has a lot to learn - just look at McKennas performances in the last few weeks! We will be getting big bids in for Porteous in the next 2 years definitely.

I don’t see centre back as a priority for us next year at all. If we keep McGregor we have good cover between him and Milligan (again if he stays) IMO. Right back and centre midfield are more important for us.

DetroitHibs
01-04-2019, 08:42 PM
They get there business done early I’ll give them that much. That’s something I’d really like to see us do more of. Two seasons on the bounce we’ve not really come good until after January. Let’s get 2-3 bodies in and lined up for next season, I know we have Allan lined up, another 2-3 more would be good.

eastcoasthibby
01-04-2019, 08:48 PM

Did you not see mckenna's attempt at stopping Ikpeazu from.sciring the winner on saturday ..I actually wondered.if he had a bet on him scoring it was that woeful a challenge !!

B.H.F.C
01-04-2019, 08:51 PM
I don’t see centre back as a priority for us next year at all. If we keep McGregor we have good cover between him and Milligan (again if he stays) IMO. Right back and centre midfield are more important for us.

A centre half has to be a priority. We lost our best one and need to replace him.

McGregor and Milligan have both been doing fine just now but will be 34 when next season starts.

Porteous will be coming off a bad injury. And Hanlon has been inconsistent at best this season.

A new centre half is a must for me. Not a squad filler, a first pick.

cabbageandribs1875
01-04-2019, 09:10 PM
bring Efe back, still no appearances for Derby ?, shirly a player wants to, ermmm...play

p.s. halkett is a good signing for the grunts, unfortunately

hibbysam
01-04-2019, 10:00 PM

I’m not sure who you’ve been watching but he is slow, turns slower than a tanker out in the North Sea. I’ll compare him to Berra, fine if you fire balls up to his noggin all day against someone smaller than him, but he gets done time and time again by quicker players, and Ikpeazu just bullied him at the weekend. I’ll continue to call him a myth until someone shows me something different. Souttar should be in the Scotland team long before him.

bigwheel
01-04-2019, 10:03 PM
I’m not sure who you’ve been watching but he is slow, turns slower than a tanker out in the North Sea. I’ll compare him to Berra, fine if you fire balls up to his noggin all day against someone smaller than him, but he gets done time and time again by quicker players, and Ikpeazu just bullied him at the weekend. I’ll continue to call him a myth until someone shows me something different. Souttar should be in the Scotland team long before him.

Time will show which one of us is right.....let's wait and see...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JimBHibees
02-04-2019, 06:15 AM
I can see why theey do though -in football you are always one injury and/ or a loss of form away from the end of your career - 3 yr contract must be tempting

Especially when at Livingston and no doubt multiplying his wages by a large amount.

JimBHibees
02-04-2019, 06:18 AM

Disagree think McKenna has struggled more this season however to me he is an excellent player and very solid when on his game and also has a turn of pace. Bit of a psycho about him also which has cost him a few reds including when he cleared out SJM when on loan at Ayr in the Scottish at ER few years back. He will get a good move probably to Celtic or decent championship/lower prem team in the summer. Miles better than Souttar IMO.

grammyb111
02-04-2019, 09:14 AM

McKenna is very quick for a defender, especially of that size. He's not the finished article by any means but he absolutely isn't slow.

where'stheslope
02-04-2019, 09:29 AM
McKenna is very quick for a defender, especially of that size. He's not the finished article by any means but he absolutely isn't slow.
Except on Saturday against Uche of Hertz, looked well slow against that tank!!!!

Diclonius
02-04-2019, 09:30 AM
We have two top quality centre backs in Hanlon and Porteous, and McGregor/Milligan can step in where needed. Centre backs aren't a priority for us.

Smartie
02-04-2019, 09:34 AM
We have two top quality centre backs in Hanlon and Porteous, and McGregor/Milligan can step in where needed. Centre backs aren't a priority for us.

Not yet.

We're a couple of years away from being short in that position though, and McGregor hasn't even signed on for next season yet.

B.H.F.C
02-04-2019, 10:08 AM

We are weaker in that position than we were at the start of this season.

We don’t know how Porteous will come back from a bad injury and Hanlon certainly hasn’t been top quality this season.

Diclonius
02-04-2019, 11:00 AM
We are weaker in that position than we were at the start of this season.

We don’t know how Porteous will come back from a bad injury and Hanlon certainly hasn’t been top quality this season.

Hanlon was apparently not fit/still partially injured when he returned to the team. He seems ok now.

Hibeesmad
02-04-2019, 04:43 PM
Good signing but not the kind of signing that will ever win Levein a trophy

Here’s Lucy!
02-04-2019, 04:49 PM

Levein?

Winning a trophy?

:faf:

ancient hibee
02-04-2019, 04:55 PM

He may be quick at running but I wouldn't say he's very quick at thinking.

Tiny_Tim
02-04-2019, 06:00 PM

Do you think hearts are stiff offering higher wages than us or is it similar these days?

Bostonhibby
02-04-2019, 06:01 PM
Do you think hearts are stiff offering higher wages than us or is it similar these days?It wouldn't be the first time they've stiffed someone on wages[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

HIBERNIAN-0762
02-04-2019, 06:02 PM

:hilarious:hilarious:hilarious

Iggy Pope
02-04-2019, 06:13 PM
It wouldn't be the first time they've stiffed someone on wages[emoji6]

:wink: Bet there’s loads of wee Tiny Tim type characters hobbling all around Bosnian hard labour sites, Gorgie Newsagents, Kids Breakfast Clubs and general Poppy Selling outlets that are wondering where the next crust is coming from.

Bostonhibby
02-04-2019, 06:17 PM
:wink: Bet there’s loads of wee Tiny Tim type characters hobbling all around Bosnian hard labour sites, Gorgie Newsagents, Kids Breakfast Clubs and general Poppy Selling outlets that are wondering where the next crust is coming from.Aye, but I was thinking Craig Beattie, remember him? Pretty sure he was on their very own creditors list of shame.[emoji16]