PDA

View Full Version : Where Will Hibs Finish?

HibsTalk
31-03-2019, 12:42 PM
With top 6 looking like it's accomplished, where can we aim for now?

Where do you see Hibs finishing?*

Gav & Dave also discuss

Current Form
Livi Game
Killie Preview

Apple Podcasts-
https://tinyurl.com/y4l9hcd5
Spotify-
https://tinyurl.com/yyycgl8m
Browser-
https://tinyurl.com/y6kwwrswhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190331/e3114d3cfddc9a9e535632ed46cbe5ad.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

where'stheslope
31-03-2019, 01:09 PM
Realistically we could finish 3rd if results go our way, giving us Europe!
If we only manage 4th, and the Hertz get to the cup final, I think they would get that 4th place?
Still a lot of football to play, but were going in the right direction!!!!

Col2
31-03-2019, 01:20 PM
Realistically we could finish 3rd if results go our way, giving us Europe!
If we only manage 4th, and the Hertz get to the cup final, I think they would get that 4th place?
Still a lot of football to play, but were going in the right direction!!!!

Only the cup winners can benefit from Europe qualification, the rule
For runners up changed a few years ago.

So Hearts would need to win the cup and we all know Levein doesn’t win trophies...

Keith_M
31-03-2019, 01:22 PM
I think we'll finish either 4th or 5th, with the latter probably more likely.

If we win our next two games, I'd change this to definitely fourth.

where'stheslope
31-03-2019, 01:26 PM
Only the cup winners can benefit from Europe qualification, the rule
For runners up changed a few years ago.

So Hearts would need to win the cup and we all know Levein doesn’t win trophies...
Cheers for that, that's why the ? was at the end.

Phil MaGlass
31-03-2019, 01:32 PM
I said we would make it to top 6 and get to 4th when Lennon left, I still think we will finish 4th.

California-Hibs
31-03-2019, 01:55 PM
Minimum 5th but I actually think 4th. Convinced we'll finish above Hearts when you compare the squads qualities and form.

Franck Stanton
31-03-2019, 02:07 PM
Hope I am wrong, but think we will end up 6th

Diclonius
31-03-2019, 02:32 PM
6th

04Sauzee
31-03-2019, 02:42 PM
Been on a good run but think we will run out of steam and will finish 6th

PatHead
31-03-2019, 03:17 PM
We still have a good chance of finishing 3rd. We just have to take one game at a time and hope other results go our way.

If we did finish 3rd would everyone feel it was a more successful season than last year or have standards dropped?

Since452
31-03-2019, 03:17 PM
3rd

Onceinawhile
31-03-2019, 03:23 PM
3rd. Beat killie on Wednesday.
Rangers beat hearts
Motherwell beat Aberdeen.

Puts us 3 behind killie, one behind Aberdeen and 2 ahead of hearts.

PaulSmith
31-03-2019, 03:24 PM
Need to get 4 or 6 points from next two games to have any chance of finishing 4th or above.

6th is more realistic.

Steve20
31-03-2019, 03:46 PM
6th realistically. Still good considering the position when Heckingbottom came in.

muzzhfc
31-03-2019, 04:03 PM
Minimum of 5th. We have to finish above the league champions, considering everything that’s gone on this season, anything higher is a bonus

Diclonius
31-03-2019, 04:18 PM
If you predict how everyone's games go, you can predict how the league will look at the end of the season.

Kilmarnock:
Hibs (A) Draw
St Johnstone (H) Win
Celtic (A) Loss
Rangers (H) Draw
Aberdeen (H) Draw
Hearts (A) Draw
Hibs (H) Draw
Total: 8

Aberdeen:
Motherwell (H) Draw
Dundee (A) Win
Celtic (H) Loss
Rangers (A) Loss
Kilmarnock (A) Draw
Hearts (H) Win
Hibs (A) Draw
Total: 9

Hearts:
Rangers (A) Loss
Hibs (H) Win
Celtic (A) Loss
Rangers (H) Draw
Kilmarnock (H) Win
Aberdeen (A) Loss
Hibs (A) Loss
Total: 7

Hibs:
Kilmarnock (H) Draw
Hearts (A) Loss
Celtic (H) Loss
Rangers (A) Loss
Kilmarnock (A) Draw
Aberdeen (H) Draw
Hearts (H) Win
Total: 6

Totals:
Kilmarnock 62
Aberdeen 61
Hearts 57
Hibs 54

I've put in a lot of draws there as I reckon quite a few could go either way, so still a lot of variance in those totals. Us and Hearts have the hardest run ins of the four clubs and I think Aberdeen and Kilmarnock will more than likely finish a fair bit ahead of us.

we are hibs
31-03-2019, 04:22 PM
If you predict how everyone's games go, you can predict how the league will look at the end of the season.

Kilmarnock:
Hibs (A) Draw
St Johnstone (H) Win
Celtic (A) Loss
Rangers (H) Draw
Aberdeen (H) Draw
Hearts (A) Draw
Hibs (H) Draw

Aberdeen:
Motherwell (H) Draw
Dundee (A) Win
Celtic (H) Loss
Rangers (A) Loss
Kilmarnock (A) Draw
Hearts (H) Win
Hibs (A) Draw

Hearts:
Rangers (A) Loss
Hibs (H) Win
Celtic (A) Loss
Rangers (H) Draw
Kilmarnock (H) Win
Aberdeen (A) Loss
Hibs (A) Loss

Hibs:
Kilmarnock (H) Draw
Hearts (A) Loss
Celtic (H) Loss
Rangers (A) Loss
Kilmarnock (A) Draw
Aberdeen (H) Draw
Hearts (H) Win

Totals:
Kilmarnock 62
Aberdeen 61
Hearts 57
Hibs 54

I've put in a lot of draws there as I reckon quite a few could go either way, so still a lot of variance in those totals. Us and Hearts have the hardest run ins of the four clubs and I think Aberdeen and Kilmarnock will more than likely finish a fair bit ahead of us.

You seriously reckon we will only win 1 game between now and the end of the season?

Here’s Lucy!
31-03-2019, 04:28 PM
6th.

Think we'll only draw with Killie on Wednesday too.

HibeeHibernian4
31-03-2019, 04:51 PM
You seriously reckon we will only win 1 game between now and the end of the season?

It's hardly unfeasible. We're on a high right now, that doesn't mean we have a god given right to win any number of the remaining seven.

We could even not win a single game. Stranger things have happened, you know.

hfc rd
31-03-2019, 04:58 PM
I’ve predicted 5th but will see how things unfold as I expect a lot of twists and turns in the run-in for European football next season. Definitely will be exciting with 4 teams pushing for 3rd and all pretty evenly matched.

calumhibee1
31-03-2019, 05:14 PM
I think we’ll pick up 10 more points.

Win on Wednesday, draw v hearts, win at home to Aberdeen and Hearts. Lose the OF and Killie away.

Enough to finish above Hearts but not quite enough to get Europe. If we could beat Killie away however then we’d stand a real chance.

Borderhibbie76
31-03-2019, 09:11 PM
I think we’ll pick up 10 more points.

Win on Wednesday, draw v hearts, win at home to Aberdeen and Hearts. Lose the OF and Killie away.

Enough to finish above Hearts but not quite enough to get Europe. If we could beat Killie away however then we’d stand a real chance.Not convinced that we will beat Aberdeen tbh our record is pretty awful against them

calumhibee1
31-03-2019, 09:15 PM
Not convinced that we will beat Aberdeen tbh our record is pretty awful against them

It is pretty poor, they really seem to be struggling just now though. I'd fancy us to beat them at home.

ekhibee
31-03-2019, 09:25 PM
Probably 6th, although like 1 or 2 other posters, I might change my opinion if we win our next 2 games.

31-03-2019, 09:26 PM
I'd say, to stand a chance of overtaking Killie we need to beat them on Wednesday and to finish ahead of Hearts we need to avoid defeat at Tynecastle. Confident we can do both so I'll say 4th though it might be because we sneak past the Dons instead of Killie. Hopefully we can at least still be in with a shout of 4th with a game or 2 to go.

Nicho87
31-03-2019, 09:42 PM
Realistically 4 points from next two games to finish above hearts.

realistically 6 points from next two games for a late surge to finish in top 4

MacGruber
31-03-2019, 09:48 PM
After the Livi game I thought we were certain to finish above Hearts.
After Hearts beat Aberdeen i thought different and we would finish behind them in 6th.
Weds results could swing it back in our favour, a home win v killie (very hard game tho) coupled with a rangers win (minus Morelos, Kent, Halliday, and who ever else) wod make me feel we will.finish above Hearts and maybe 4th.
A 3 point swing in Weds and we would be 1 point ahead and i reckon we would both win our respective home derbys so goes to the games between the rest with a 1 point and goal diff advantage.
Need to beat Killie first though - big ask

eezyrider
31-03-2019, 09:48 PM
6th

EZ

B.H.F.C
31-03-2019, 09:58 PM
We might have too much work to do to finish third or fourth but it’s not impossible. Reckon we’ll need to win at least five of our games to get either of those positions. If we don’t win on Wednesday it’ll be fifth or sixth we finish IMO.

Vini1875
31-03-2019, 11:01 PM
Massively depends on the next two games. Winning both of those will give us the believe to really go for 3rd, which given where we were when PH came would be fantastic. I'd still be happy with 4th and a shot at Europe.

Hibernia&Alba
01-04-2019, 01:32 AM
Massively depends on the next two games. Winning both of those will give us the believe to really go for 3rd, which given where we were when PH came would be fantastic. I'd still be happy with 4th and a shot at Europe.
Fourth again would be excellent. As we along as finish top six this season, I'll be happy enough. Our recent form is deserving of that.

allmodcons
01-04-2019, 11:13 AM

:agree: win/win or win/draw and we should be aiming for 3rd place.
Not easy, but achievable.

heretoday
01-04-2019, 11:35 AM
Fourth. Hurrah for Heck!

Diclonius
01-04-2019, 11:46 AM

A lot of those are draws so could go either way, but I would say the only game in which the most likely outcome is a Hibs win is the home derby.

500miles
01-04-2019, 01:23 PM
I think we're missing a bit of our star quality - Boyle and Porteous in particular - which may just tell against the top clubs. Mallan playing higher up the pitch now though, may just get the telling contribution from him though. Killie will be a good test.

TheHarpy76
01-04-2019, 02:20 PM
5th

Lancs Harp
01-04-2019, 06:38 PM
I think we'll have a decent run in and finish 4th.

erin go bragh
01-04-2019, 07:24 PM

Kilmarnock:
Hibs (A) Draw
St Johnstone (H) Win
Celtic (A) Loss
Rangers (H) Draw
Aberdeen (H) Draw
Hearts (A) Draw
Hibs (H) Draw

Aberdeen:
Motherwell (H) Draw
Dundee (A) Win
Celtic (H) Loss
Rangers (A) Loss
Kilmarnock (A) Draw
Hearts (H) Win
Hibs (A) Draw

Hearts:
Rangers (A) Loss
Hibs (H) Win
Celtic (A) Loss
Rangers (H) Draw
Kilmarnock (H) Win
Aberdeen (A) Loss
Hibs (A) Loss

Hibs:
Kilmarnock (H) Draw
Hearts (A) Loss
Celtic (H) Loss
Rangers (A) Loss
Kilmarnock (A) Draw
Aberdeen (H) Draw
Hearts (H) Win

Totals:
Kilmarnock 62
Aberdeen 61
Hearts 57
Hibs 54

Were the form team in the league just now . No way will we only win one game out of the last seven 🤔
Beat Killie on Wed and we will be 3pts behind them . The diets will do well to get even a point at Mordor . Meaning a win at the PBS could put us 4pts in front of them and making 3rd a very realistic chance .
We’re undefeated under PH in the league ya miserable git 😜
Cheer up and be positive 😉

HibeeHibernian4
01-04-2019, 08:28 PM
Were the form team in the league just now . No way will we only win one game out of the last seven 🤔
Beat Killie on Wed and we will be 3pts behind them . The diets will do well to get even a point at Mordor . Meaning a win at the PBS could put us 4pts in front of them and making 3rd a very realistic chance .
We’re undefeated under PH in the league ya miserable git 😜
Cheer up and be positive 😉

You can't use form as a reason for why form will extend. Otherwise, once a side started a 6 game undefeated run, they'd go onto a 20, 30, 40 game undefeated run. It doesn't happen because football is a very random game. Us winning 1 of our last 7 is a lot more likely than winning all 7.

Sir David Gray
01-04-2019, 09:10 PM
I'll go for 5th.

Winning on Wednesday is crucial if we are to have any chance of finishing 3rd or 4th.

Juniper Greens
02-04-2019, 07:38 AM
You can't use form as a reason for why form will extend. Otherwise, once a side started a 6 game undefeated run, they'd go onto a 20, 30, 40 game undefeated run. It doesn't happen because football is a very random game. Us winning 1 of our last 7 is a lot more likely than winning all 7.

You can't ignore it either. Agree that 7/7 is highly unlikely, but I bet no non Glasgow Derby team has ever done that post split.
More realistic would be to say that we might win between 3-5 of the final games. FWIW, I think we will win 4, draw 2 and lose 1, giving us 62 points, which I think would get us 3rd on goal difference

Green_one
02-04-2019, 01:12 PM
After the Livi game I thought we were certain to finish above Hearts.
After Hearts beat Aberdeen i thought different and we would finish behind them in 6th.
Weds

I think we have lost the chance of a 5th place though not yet impossible.

6th is OK considering where we were a couple of months ago

Onceinawhile
02-04-2019, 01:36 PM
I think we have lost the chance of a 5th place though not yet impossible.

6th is OK considering where we were a couple of months ago

:confused::confused:

We're two points behind 5th place and are due to play the team in that position twice? A win tomorrow would in all likelihood put us into 5th, unless HMFC win at Ibrox, in which case, I'm looking to finish 2nd!

Bangkok Hibby
06-04-2019, 03:48 PM
Todays other results (points and an improved goal difference for Aberdeen and Killie) have made it a difficult task to improve on 5th. Wherever we finish it's been a great ride since Heckingbottom arrived. Top 3 or better next year?

Onceinawhile
06-04-2019, 03:49 PM
5th unfortunately, not winning midweek has made it almost impossible to finish higher unless we get 15/15.

wookie70
06-04-2019, 06:44 PM
If there is a win between Killie and The Don's we can still make 4th and possibly Europe. 5th most likely but continue this run then we might get better. At best we have 7 points to make up on two teams who we play each once for 3rd or better 6pts to make up on one of them for 4th.

I want Killie to beat the Dons as that could set up another last game at ER with league positions at stake. It is incredible how often we have had a full season of meaningful games in the last few years. Cup Finals, play off, Championship games and Euro places up for grabs.

Glory Lurker
06-04-2019, 06:59 PM
No we're not, we're only 28.

Hibeesmad
22-04-2019, 01:41 AM
Now only 5 points behind Killie. Currently 8 points behind Aberdeen in 3rd.

Next two fixtures:

Aberdeen- Rangers (A), Celtic (H)
Killie- Celtic (A), Hearts (A)

If things really go our way and both teams lose their next two games then we have a fantastic chance at 3rd.
If that was the case and we got at least 4 points from our next two then we would be 4 points off 3rd with a better goal difference. It's going to be close and our next two games are going to set us up nicely for the battle with Killie and Aberdeen.

CMurdoch
22-04-2019, 02:05 AM
Now only 5 points behind Killie. Currently 7 points behind Aberdeen in 3rd.

Next two fixtures:

Aberdeen- Rangers (A), Celtic (H)
Killie- Celtic (A), Hearts (A)

If things really go our way and both teams lose their next two games then we have a fantastic chance at 3rd.
If that was the case and we got at least 4 points from our next two then we would be 3 points off 3rd with a better goal difference. It's going to be close and our next two games are going to set us up nicely for the battle with Killie and Aberdeen.

We are currently 8 points behind Aberdeen

Hibeesmad
22-04-2019, 02:23 AM
We are currently 8 points behind Aberdeen

Now edited. thank's for pointing that out :aok:

Besties Debut
22-04-2019, 04:15 AM
There is 12 points to play for. If we can get at least 9 we should comfortably finish 4th assuming Killie don’t suddenly start winning all their games

Onion
22-04-2019, 05:26 AM
Beat Hearts and Killie and we have a decent chance of 4th, but realistically 5th.

Eyrie
22-04-2019, 09:15 AM
I can't see us catching Aberdeen as that needs too much to go in our favour including a collapse by them.

But Kilmarnock are catchable. Right now it's Killie 58 points (+17 goal difference) vs Hibs 53 points (+15 GD).

Next weekend they visit Celtc (a defeat) and we play Hearts (need a win anyway) = Killie 58 pts, Hibs 56 pts.

Then they visit the Tiny PBS (a draw) and we go to Ibrox (defeat) = Killie 59 pts, Hibs 56 pts.

The key game is us at Killie. A win means we're level on 59 pts and we'd be ahead on goal difference.

They finish at home to Sevco and we host Aberdeen. All we need to do is match Killie's result.

Nothing unrealistic about any of the above. A win in the derby almost guarantees us finishing above Hearts and leaves them with nothing to play for until the cup final. And if we can't win at Kilmarnock then we won't deserve to beat them to fourth.

heid the baw
22-04-2019, 04:35 PM
If Killie hang on to 4th, then it is merited as they have performed consistently well this season. They have never experienced an extended collapse of form and I don't see it happening now. I think Hibs can pick up points in all the remaining games, whether it is enough to close the gap completely, I'm not convinced.