PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Bomb

DaveF
30-03-2019, 10:22 AM
Another one last night from the area where the singing crowd were. I'm NOT saying it was since 1875 but with it being from that section it just, rightly or wrongly, puts more focus on them.

One from livi as well. Given their very small band of flag wavers, I wonder if their club are as strong in their stance over them as we are?

JXM73
30-03-2019, 10:26 AM
Thought it was great, police dinnae barge in, wasnt thrown at anyone... and no one got hurt... that wee corner section was rammed, good times lol

Poor wee snowflake...

hibIBZ
30-03-2019, 10:31 AM
Thought it was great, police dinnae barge in, wasnt thrown at anyone... and no one got hurt... that wee corner section was rammed, good times lol

Poor wee snowflake...

I think the OP was trying to point out that whether you like them or not or whether you think they are dangerous or not, they are banned and will bring further attention to a group that is already under scrutiny whether that is diserved or not.
I agree that I thought he policing and stewarding last was very good, large presence but not heavy handed

CMac1988
30-03-2019, 10:31 AM
Another one last night from the area where the singing crowd were. I'm NOT saying it was since 1875 but with it being from that section it just, rightly or wrongly, puts more focus on them.

One from livi as well. Given their very small band of flag wavers, I wonder if their club are as strong in their stance over them as we are?

As soon as it went off the camera above us panned to it. As far as I can see nothing much has been made of it.
What do you do to combat it though. Many were frisked at the gates including myself and yet someone manages to sneak one in?

It doesn't bother me tbh but I know there are many with respiratory problems and smoke bombs no doubt aggravate them. Couple that with all that's going on and it's not exactly the wisest of moves. These guys giving the metaphorical finger to the club, or just a bit of harmless fun that maybe isn't all that harmless?

As for the it being in the singing section at the game then its fair to say that it's probably the most logical place to let one of knowing it will be harder to identify the individual.

DaveF
30-03-2019, 10:33 AM
I think the OP was trying to point out that whether you like them or not or whether you think they are dangerous or not, they are banned and will bring further attention to a group that is already under scrutiny whether that is diserved or not.
I agree that I thought he policing and stewarding last was very good, large presence but not heavy handed

Thank you for pointing out the obvious to the previous poster :-)

Signed, A Flake.

CropleyWasGod
30-03-2019, 10:34 AM

Poor wee snowflake...

Your last sentence lets you down. Would someone with breathing issues be happy to be called that?

Since90+2
30-03-2019, 10:34 AM

Its also "banned" to be under the influence of alcohol at a game as per the terms of the ticket. I wonder how many people who are moaning about a smoke bomb have not abided by that over the years?

Frazerbob
30-03-2019, 10:37 AM
I was next the corner with the all the young team last night. It was great fun and they created a great atmosphere. However, is there really a need for all the Mercer songs? He’s fair game IMHO but so many, against Livi? Not sure that’s necessary when we have a fairly extensive song book these days. Most in the corner weren’t born in 1990. There was even an attempt to start the Skacel song after the 2nd went in.

DaveF
30-03-2019, 10:38 AM
Its also "banned" to be under the influence of alcohol at a game as per the terms of the ticket. I wonder how many people who are moaning about a smoke bomb have not abided by that over the years?

Got to be the daftest rule ever given clubs are happy for fans to pish it up in hospitality providing they cough up enough cash.

hibIBZ
30-03-2019, 10:38 AM

That's s not entirely accurate. It is banned whilst drunk to be in the stadium and there is no legal definition of drunk. It is up to the person judging to decide if the person is drunk

DarlingtonHibee
30-03-2019, 10:39 AM

Ffs, do these numptys want hibs fined?

Someone is going to be hurt soon.

Time for the hibs family to point these numptys out

They are not hibs fans.

Since90+2
30-03-2019, 10:42 AM

They are not hibs fans.

Not Hibs fans? Were you there last night supporting the team?

Hibbyradge
30-03-2019, 10:46 AM

Are you suggesting that people shouldn't complain about anything if they've ever had too much to drink at a game?

hibbysam
30-03-2019, 10:51 AM
Are you suggesting that people shouldn't complain about anything if they've ever had too much to drink at a game?

It would be a tad hypocritical to call someone else out about following rules if you’ve not done so yourself.

pacoluna
30-03-2019, 10:53 AM
How did he manage to get it in when we were all body searched before the game?

BoomtownHibees
30-03-2019, 10:55 AM

I wasn’t

silverhibee

They are not hibs fans.

They are Hibs fans, just young and learning, they will ventually grow up.

tamig

Poor wee snowflake...

The reek belching off the thing looked pretty bad. I’m sure a few folk would have been affected by it. Anyway, if it gets you off on it thats the main thing and we can all smile.

Hibbyradge
30-03-2019, 10:59 AM
It would be a tad hypocritical to call someone else out about following rules if you’ve not done so yourself.

Is it wrong to criticise people making racist comments if you've ever had a couple too many?

What about throwing coins? Or smoking in the stands? What about violence towards other supporters?

"I better stay schtum because I was pished at that new year Berwick game".

It might be hypocritical to complain about taking a flare or a smoke bomb to a game, if you'd done that yourself, but the drink analogy is bogus.

That boy is reeking so I can do what I want. Nah.

tamig
30-03-2019, 11:00 AM

Nonsense. One is clear cut while the other is subjective. Its a ridiculous comparison.

DarlingtonHibee
30-03-2019, 11:09 AM

Age is no excuse, been watch hibs since I was at school, thought never entered my mind.

When we get fined or a closed door game if something tragic happens,fans can't complain about the lack of signings

hibbysam
30-03-2019, 11:11 AM
Nonsense. One is clear cut while the other is subjective. Its a ridiculous comparison.

Aye, being reeking is subjective right enough 😂

hibbysam
30-03-2019, 11:12 AM
Is it wrong to criticise people making racist comments if you've ever had a couple too many?

What about throwing coins? Or smoking in the stands? What about violence towards other supporters?

"I better stay schtum because I was pished at that new year Berwick game".

It might be hypocritical to complain about taking a flare or a smoke bomb to a game, if you'd done that yourself, but the drink analogy is bogus.

That boy is reeking so I can do what I want. Nah.

They’re both wrong. You shouldn’t be doing anything that’s not allowed as per the rules. There are folk steaming every week but not a thread on here about it weekly.

Diclonius
30-03-2019, 11:13 AM
"it's fun eh" > people with asthma

Logic.

tamig
30-03-2019, 11:14 AM
Age is no excuse, been watch hibs since I was at school, thought never entered my mind.

When we get fined or a closed door game if something tragic happens,fans can't complain about the lack of signings

Exactly. Too many apologists. If this keeps up its the club that suffers - while the wee lambs learn their lessons.

frazeHFC
30-03-2019, 11:14 AM
They're never going to be able to stop people bringing them in, so better get this thread favourited to save one being created weekly.

tamig
30-03-2019, 11:15 AM
Aye, being reeking is subjective right enough 😂

“Drunk” is. What’s the definition?

wearethehibs
30-03-2019, 11:15 AM
Liked the colour of this one. Nice tribute to a well liked away kit

Since90+2
30-03-2019, 11:19 AM

Correct.

The Spaceman
30-03-2019, 11:21 AM
I like the smoke bombs and flares - they create a great atmosphere. But whilst I enjoy them must be a total nightmare for anyone with respiratory problems which just isn't fair. Maybe they could all just vape at the same time instead? :greengrin

DaveF
30-03-2019, 11:22 AM
They’re both wrong. You shouldn’t be doing anything that’s not allowed as per the rules. There are folk steaming every week but not a thread on here about it weekly.

Well until the club start issuing warnings about drinking then I'm afraid it won't be talked about on here much so the weekly smoke bomb thread it is.

Chuck Rhoades
30-03-2019, 11:25 AM
"it's fun eh" > people with asthma

Logic.

As an asthmatic, they are an inconvenience. But folk topping up their life insurance really need to have a day off (and save themselves a few quid).

where'stheslope
30-03-2019, 11:27 AM
Always feel that the people who say its only young kids throwing smoke bombs and they will grow out of it, are the ones if the other team throw one or are hit by one will be wanting them banned and the other team deducted points?
It is always the same, whats the harm till its you it concerned!!!!!

Hibbyradge
30-03-2019, 11:27 AM

That's not the point.

You're saying that folk shouldn't complain about smoke bombs because they might have been drunk at a game.

Are you now saying that they should complain about everything?

By the way, there are often threads and discussions on here about fans who have been too pished.

SquashedFrogg
30-03-2019, 11:30 AM

Weirdly none of us were searched but the group in front and in the queue next to us were.

Although an old boy collapsed outside the turnstiles as we were approaching so maybe they were distracted.

Since90+2
30-03-2019, 11:31 AM
Well until the club start issuing warnings about drinking then I'm afraid it won't be talked about on here much so the weekly smoke bomb thread it is.

How many of the recent fan behaviour issues do you think are related to folk being drunk in the ground? Just because the club don't comment on it doesn't mean it's not an issue.

hibbysam
30-03-2019, 11:39 AM
“Drunk” is. What’s the definition?

It’s not exactly difficult. I know when I’m drunk, as opposed to having a couple of drinks and still feeling myself and knowing exactly what I’m doing. So because it’s ‘subjective’ to you, let’s all get absolutely steaming and it’s totally fine.

Jack
30-03-2019, 11:42 AM
I can't see incidents like this doing anything to ease the tension between the club and the singing section even if the people setting off the smoke bombs are not officially part of the group. The singing section instead of identifying them to the club are providing then with cover to carry out, let's be honest here and forget the whatabootery, something that is illegal.

If it continues I'd expect stewards and police at home and away to become increasingly proactive and hassling us wherever we go. That will be fun too I suppose.

hibbysam
30-03-2019, 11:43 AM
That's not the point.

You're saying that folk shouldn't complain about smoke bombs because they might have been drunk at a game.

Are you now saying that they should complain about everything?

By the way, there are often threads and discussions on here about fans who have been too pished.

At hampden mostly. But not on a weekly basis when it happens far more frequently than smoke bombs. One smoke bomb and all hell breaks loose, 5000 fans steaming at a derby and not a word muttered.

Complain if you want, about what you want, however don’t try and defend another rule breaker otherwise you become hypocritical.

Peevemor
30-03-2019, 11:53 AM
It's also illegal to sell alcohol to someone who's drunk. A very grey area.

tamig
30-03-2019, 11:54 AM
It’s not exactly difficult. I know when I’m drunk, as opposed to having a couple of drinks and still feeling myself and knowing exactly what I’m doing. So because it’s ‘subjective’ to you, let’s all get absolutely steaming and it’s totally fine.
It is absolutely subjective. Where is the definition? You haven’t answered. I don’t think it’s just me who thinks it’s subjective. There is a definition of drunk in the context of driving. I’ve yet to see one in relation to football.

DarlingtonHibee
30-03-2019, 11:55 AM
Not Hibs fans? Were you there last night supporting the team?

Normal line for you.

I was up for the Motherwell game last week.

Don't know if you know where Darlington is but doesn't really suit a Friday night

matty_f
30-03-2019, 11:57 AM
I was next the corner with the all the young team last night. It was great fun and they created a great atmosphere. However, is there really a need for all the Mercer songs? He’s fair game IMHO but so many, against Livi? Not sure that’s necessary when we have a fairly extensive song book these days. Most in the corner weren’t born in 1990. There was even an attempt to start the Skacel song after the 2nd went in.
Aye, thought much the same. Atmosphere in the corner was generally very good, think there was quite a lot of coke being taken in the toilets which isn't great if you're there with kids, to be honest.

Very good, very vocal support though. The smoke bombs was just asking from us but I didn't notice any smell and I didn't feel I was breathing it in.

DaveF
30-03-2019, 12:03 PM
How many of the recent fan behaviour issues do you think are related to folk being drunk in the ground? Just because the club don't comment on it doesn't mean it's not an issue.

Dunno. You tell me.

Aim Here
30-03-2019, 12:03 PM
For what it's worth, the guy next to me up behind the singing section apparently spotted the kid who set off the flare and spent some time recording the guy on his phone and pointing him out to the stewards (missing Stevie Mallan's goal in the process), so maybe the culprit is being dealt with.

Since452
30-03-2019, 12:08 PM
Livingston fans let one off too

HFCdeb
30-03-2019, 12:09 PM

I wasn't. There were no female stewards at the gate I went through.

pacoluna
30-03-2019, 12:14 PM

Your one of the possible culprit's then :greengrin

eastcoasthibby
30-03-2019, 12:14 PM
It just goes to prove that this lot just dont give a £eck about the club getting fined or into more trouble, as long as they get their little bit of fun with a smoke bomb ....no doubt its their immature way of saying we will do what we want and doesnt matter the outcome ie what happens to the club ! Fact is they are continuing to let the club and the vast majority of fans !! If they get some positive feedback like there is on here, then they will just continue and probably escalate what they are doing !! Cos they create a good atmosphere with their singing it doesnt exempt them.from behaving and protecting the clubs interests !!!
Wonder what the reeaction would be if the league decided.to start docking us points because of this sort of crap ?? Would it still be funny, no big deal ???

Jay
30-03-2019, 12:15 PM

Nor me and no amount of persuasion was going to sway the guy :greengrin

HibeeHibernian4
30-03-2019, 12:19 PM

They are not hibs fans.

1) Hibs are not going to be fined

2) nobody is going to be hurt by a smoke bomb, it is hysteria to suggest otherwise

3) I certainly won’t be grassing them in for something that should be legal

4) They are Hibs fans, and even watching on TV tonight you could hear the difference they made.

NAE NOOKIE
30-03-2019, 12:20 PM
What I should say:

There's no place for smoke bombs and flares at football, they are dangerous and can affect folk adversely who have medical issues like asthma or other respiratory problems … there's a good reason for banning them, so cut it out :tsk tsk:

What I want to say:

Bring it on, colour, atmosphere, noise ……. the more like South American football our game can become the better I'll like it. When a fan goes to the football it should be to be part of the event, part of the spectacle …. not to just watch it :hyper

Since90+2
30-03-2019, 12:21 PM
Dunno. You tell me.

Ok.

I would imagine the vast majority is caused by people being streaming. Although I'm sure you probably know that anyway.

Itsnoteasy
30-03-2019, 12:25 PM
I like the smoke bombs and flares - they create a great atmosphere. But whilst I enjoy them must be a total nightmare for anyone with respiratory problems which just isn't fair. Maybe they could all just vape at the same time instead? :greengrin

No drum, No smoke bombs, No flares & No Sunshine On Leith @ Hibs v AEK
Know that is what I call an atmosphere.

DarlingtonHibee
30-03-2019, 12:26 PM
It just goes to prove that this lot just dont give a £eck about the club getting fined or into more trouble, as long as they get their little bit of fun with a smoke bomb ....no doubt its their immature way of saying we will do what we want and doesnt matter the outcome ie what happens to the club ! Fact is they are continuing to let the club and the vast majority of fans !! If they get some positive feedback like there is on here, then they will just continue and probably escalate what they are doing !! Cos they create a good atmosphere with their singing it doesnt exempt them.from behaving and protecting the clubs interests !!!
Wonder what the reeaction would be if the league decided.to start docking us points because of this sort of crap ?? Would it still be funny, no big deal ???

This big time

DarlingtonHibee
30-03-2019, 12:27 PM

2) nobody is going to be hurt by a smoke bomb, it is hysteria to suggest otherwise

4) They are Hibs fans, and even watching on TV tonight you could hear the difference they made.

What a load of rubbish

Hibbyradge
30-03-2019, 12:27 PM
At hampden mostly. But not on a weekly basis when it happens far more frequently than smoke bombs. One smoke bomb and all hell breaks loose, 5000 fans steaming at a derby and not a word muttered.

Complain if you want, about what you want, however don’t try and defend another rule breaker otherwise you become hypocritical.

I haven't defended anyone. That's what you're doing.

DaveF
30-03-2019, 12:28 PM
Ok.

I would imagine the vast majority is caused by people being streaming. Although I'm sure you probably know that anyway.

Quite. And how many of the people who let off smoke bombs and flares have had a drink or done some coke?

Anyway, I don't actually mind them. I only started the thread since it was a hot topic in recent times.

HibeeHibernian4
30-03-2019, 12:29 PM
For what it's worth, the guy next to me up behind the singing section apparently spotted the kid who set off the flare and spent some time recording the guy on his phone and pointing him out to the stewards (missing Stevie Mallan's goal in the process), so maybe the culprit is being dealt with.

A smoke bomb*, not a flare, two very different things. I'm not saying you've deliberately conflated them, but Police Scotland and news articles definitely do. 'Smoke bombs' do not burn at up to 1000ºc or whatever the latest lie they're peddling is.

Also, to the bloke standing next to you: what a sad existence, and I'm very glad you missed a fantastic Mallan goal in the process.

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-03-2019, 12:31 PM

Poor wee snowflake...
Make sure that you pass on your considered opinion to Leanne and let us know how you got on?

HibeeHibernian4
30-03-2019, 12:32 PM
What a load of rubbish

Enlighten me, which of my four points were rubbish.

Point 1 is an objective fact. There's no strict liability, clubs cannot get fined for the behaviour of their fans. Were you asleep when the 2016 Cup Final verdict from the SFA came out? We got away scot-free. If you were to get fined, it would be for serious violence/disorder/racism, not a pishy wee purple smoke bomb.

Point 2 is the only contentious one of the 4, but I stand by it. They're harmless and they'll be legalised in football soon enough.

Point 3 is my subjective opinion, I can't speak for all Hibs fans, I'm just saying that I certainly wouldn't be reporting them.

Point 4 is an objective fact, they are Hibs fans and they made the most noise last night while supporting Hibs.

Aim Here
30-03-2019, 12:32 PM
A smoke bomb*, not a flare, two very different things. I'm not saying you've deliberately conflated them, but Police Scotland and news articles definitely do. 'Smoke bombs' do not burn at up to 1000ºc or whatever the latest lie they're peddling is.

Also, to the bloke standing next to you: what a sad existence, and I'm very glad you missed a fantastic Mallan goal in the process.

You're right, I misspoke. I typed 'flare' when I thought 'smoke bomb'. Apologies!

The Modfather
30-03-2019, 12:34 PM

Flares themselves might not cause any harm, but when they’re thrown they will. The last derby at Tynecastle there was flares being thrown from both sets of supports. I was in the bottom corner next to the main stand and it was luck not design that the 7 or 8 flares thrown from Hearts fans fell just short of our end.

Will probably be the same again next week from both supports. Those incidents don’t help the cause for making flares legal at games.

Hibbyradge
30-03-2019, 12:38 PM
No drum, No smoke bombs, No flares & No Sunshine On Leith @ Hibs v AEK
Know that is what I call an atmosphere.

Well, it it's a straw man you're after ...

Playing behind closed doors. That's what I call an atmosphere.

HibeeHibernian4
30-03-2019, 12:43 PM
Flares themselves might not cause any harm, but when they’re thrown they will. The last derby at Tynecastle there was flares being thrown from both sets of supports. I was in the bottom corner next to the main stand and it was luck not design that the 7 or 8 flares thrown from Hearts fans fell just short of our end.

Will probably be the same again next week from both supports. Those incidents don’t help the cause for making flares legal at games.

Yep, I completely agree, people who throw them are absolute weapons and they are throwing missiles when they do so.

They become dangerous once they're being hurled, not because they've got a bit of smoke coming out of them, but because a cylinder tube is being launched through the air and could hit anyone. That's dangerous and needs to stop.

And the fact it's illegal to set one off means folk are more likely to throw them, for fear of being caught by police/cameras holding one. Is that right of them to do so? Definitely not. But it is a sad reality. Legalising smoke bombs could (could) ​help to curb that.

WestCoastHibby
30-03-2019, 12:58 PM
I have vapes. Just saying

Carheenlea
30-03-2019, 01:00 PM
The authorities do seem to be softening the stance a bit with the smoke bombs. Not the same heavy handedness as before and less of a big deal being made about them.
The young lads let them off, predominantly in amongst like minded people, sometimes throw them on the pitch but not directed at anyone, nobody gets hurt, smoke clear in a couple of minutes and everyone carries on.

WestCoastHibby
30-03-2019, 01:05 PM
I hate vapes. Just saying. However smoke bombs / incendiary devices can damage plastic pitches.
Criminal damage etc

Johnny Clash
30-03-2019, 01:21 PM
In Europe many of the radgey ultras stand holding the smoke bombs/flares up in the air - as an act of defiance. None of this ducking down out of sight and lobbing it behind yer mates’ backs... if you’re gonna try imulate the scene’s abroad do it right!!

tamig
30-03-2019, 01:25 PM
Yep, I completely agree, people who throw them are absolute weapons and they are throwing missiles when they do so.

They become dangerous once they're being hurled, not because they've got a bit of smoke coming out of them, but because a cylinder tube is being launched through the air and could hit anyone. That's dangerous and needs to stop.

And the fact it's illegal to set one off means folk are more likely to throw them, for fear of being caught by police/cameras holding one. Is that right of them to do so? Definitely not. But it is a sad reality. Legalising smoke bombs could (could) ​help to curb that.

And folk just accepting the law and adhering to it would achieve the same.

theonlywayisup
30-03-2019, 01:27 PM
The authorities do seem to be softening the stance a bit with the smoke bombs. Not the same heavy handedness as before and less of a big deal being made about them.
The young lads let them off, predominantly in amongst like minded people, sometimes throw them on the pitch but not directed at anyone, nobody gets hurt, smoke clear in a couple of minutes and everyone carries on.

Apart from at Tiny where one of them landed in amongst the Hibs support after they scored their first last season. Hit a Hibs fan in the stomach. Would hate to think of the damage caused if it hit him in the face.

HibeeHibernian4
30-03-2019, 01:28 PM
And folk just accepting the law and adhering to it would achieve the same.

And, as the last 5 years have shown us, how likely do you think that solution is?

FilipinoHibs
30-03-2019, 01:32 PM

Once some very old fans ran on the pitch after a Hibs historic win. That inner young Hibs bam lies within us all.

Keith_M
30-03-2019, 01:41 PM

Your one of the possible culprit's then http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/greengrin2.gif

You joke about it, but that's the way they get them in at German games.

Very few stewards are gonna be brave enough to rummage through some woman's bra.

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-03-2019, 01:47 PM

Lee Wallace? 😈

HFCdeb
30-03-2019, 01:47 PM

Very few stewards are gonna be brave enough to rummage through some woman's bra.

The male steward looked panicked when he saw I'm female and ushered me to the turnstile. He patted my dad down though.

Keith_M
30-03-2019, 01:55 PM
The male steward looked panicked when he saw I'm female and ushered me to the turnstile. He patted my dad down though.

Is that an admission?

:greengrin

MSK
30-03-2019, 01:55 PM

Very few stewards are gonna be brave enough to rummage through some woman's bra.Good luck to them if they try to find anything by rummaging through my Wifes bra, best start with her ankles 🤭

Keith_M
30-03-2019, 01:57 PM
Good luck to them if they try to find anything by rummaging through my Wifes bra, best start with her ankles 🤭

:sick:

matty_f
30-03-2019, 02:12 PM
I don't suppose anyone's considered that smoke like last night, which was (from my viewpoint) a dark grey/blue colour would generally be a really clear sign of fire, if there was one.

Had that been a fire last night, there's a lot of people and police who would have been caught out thinking it was a smoke bomb.

RyeSloan
30-03-2019, 02:12 PM

Said that to my daughter when we went in...male steward...you better tell him he can search you. We walked up, she was waved in while the steward patted me down. Suggested immediately to her that if we wanted to smuggle in smoke bombs she was carrying them next time [emoji3]

The ‘search’ was useless tho...I had quite a chunky Vape device on me and he missed it completely!

As for smoke bombs in general..I think HC’s post sums it up well [emoji106][emoji38]

Wilson
30-03-2019, 02:17 PM
The ‘search’ was useless tho...I had quite a chunky Vape device on me and he missed it completely!

Maybe thought you were just pleased to see him.

HFCdeb
30-03-2019, 02:25 PM
Is that an admission?

To be honest, I didn't even see a smoke bomb last night. Assuming it was at the other end from me. But aye, I smuggled it in 😆

RyeSloan
30-03-2019, 02:30 PM
Maybe thought you were just pleased to see him.

Well if I was he never noticed that either [emoji12]

hibbysam
30-03-2019, 03:04 PM
I haven't defended anyone. That's what you're doing.

The last part was aimed at Tamig, as being drunk at the football is alright because it’s ‘subjective’ and no measurement so therefore should be viewed as alright. That is hypocritical to me, and choosing which rules are ok to break and which rules aren’t.

HoboHarry
30-03-2019, 03:26 PM

I would pay Hibs to let me do that job......

speedy_gonzales
30-03-2019, 03:42 PM
That's s not entirely accurate. It is banned whilst drunk to be in the stadium and there is no legal definition of drunk. It is up to the person judging to decide if the person is drunk

If there's a vacancy for this position my wife would like to put her hat in the ring,,,, she's an expert on spying intoxication at 20 paces!

Antifa Hibs
30-03-2019, 03:51 PM
Not only was there a smoke bomb and people enjoying themselves the toilets never even had hot water. Disgraceful, scandalous and outrageous.

speedy_gonzales
30-03-2019, 03:52 PM
Also, genuinely not trying to pour fuel on the fire but I noticed this picture in the EEN in regards to the Zebra financing going south.
Apologies for not hyperlinking as I'm on my phone but the associated picture with the story is of Since 1875 'area' and someone within holding aloft a green flare.
I don't have strong opinion either way when it comes to pyro's but we as a fan base need to start thinking smart when there's pictures getting posted in the media (nevermind social media).

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/hearts-and-hibs-season-tickets-in-chaos-as-finance-company-terminates-agreements-1-4897677

Since90+2
30-03-2019, 03:56 PM
Not only was there a smoke bomb and people enjoying themselves the toilets never even had hot water. Disgraceful, scandalous and outrageous.

I can see a time fairly soon when folk just don't attend matches anymore , it's horrific what people have to put up with these days.

matty_f
30-03-2019, 04:49 PM

So long as they're happy, if it stopped someone else enjoying themselves, that's ok, eh?

Since90+2
30-03-2019, 05:07 PM
So long as they're happy, if it stopped someone else enjoying themselves, that's ok, eh?

So now someone letting off a smoke bomb is stopping other people enjoying a game of football? It went on for about a minute.

As has been mentioned someone turning up drunk and having to sit beside a slavering mess for 90 minutes is alot worse than a smoke bomb going off for a minute.

MSK
30-03-2019, 05:36 PM
So now someone letting off a smoke bomb is stopping other people enjoying a game of football? It went on for about a minute.

As has been mentioned someone turning up drunk and having to sit beside a slavering mess for 90 minutes is alot worse than a smoke bomb going off for a minute.So smoke bombs last about a minute and fans have a w**k fest over them, then thats it !! ****ing hell, why bother !! 😆

Jay
30-03-2019, 05:41 PM

As has been mentioned someone turning up drunk and having to sit beside a slavering mess for 90 minutes is alot worse than a smoke bomb going off for a minute.

You are right it is. But you have no point really. Where do we level acceptance? They are banned, it might be better than sitting beside a drunk but it doesnt make them any less banned or less of a headache for the club.

SChibs
30-03-2019, 05:46 PM

I'd rather sit next to a smoke bomb for 90 mins than some of our supporters that spend 90 mins slating the team rather than make an effort to support it

Since90+2
30-03-2019, 06:16 PM
You are right it is. But you have no point really. Where do we level acceptance? They are banned, it might be better than sitting beside a drunk but it doesnt make them any less banned or less of a headache for the club.

As has already been pointed out it's also banned to be in a stadium drunk but I don't see a clamor on here to have that clamped down on?

Glory Lurker
30-03-2019, 06:19 PM
In different circumstances I would have been ired by the smoke bomb, but spending the first ten minutes of the game being distracted, and often prevented from seeing a good bit of the pitch, by folk who clearly couldn’t read their tickets stripped me of the energy to despair.

MSK
30-03-2019, 06:30 PM
As has already been pointed out it's also banned to be in a stadium drunk but I don't see a clamor on here to have that clamped down on?Since day ****ing dot folk have entered football grounds/stadia inebriated, however in modern day football, flares/smoke bombs are becoming the norm, although they are clearly banned/illegal, but tossers clearly ignore the dangers and the law to get 60 seconds of cheapies, way to go guys 😆👍

Forza Fred
30-03-2019, 08:47 PM
I get that some people like pyrotechnics.

But instead of letting them off at the football why don't they just take them to a park near their place of residence and get their jollies there...or in their back green?

Scouse Hibee
30-03-2019, 08:59 PM
I get that some people like pyrotechnics.

But instead of letting them off at the football why don't they just take them to a park near their place of residence and get their jollies there...or in their back green?

Because some people are never happy unless they break rules, it gives them a great feeling of “getting one over on authority”. It will never change.

DarlingtonHibee
30-03-2019, 09:02 PM
Because some people are never happy unless they break rules, it gives them a great feeling of “getting one over on authority”. It will never change.

I would personally ban them, and I don't think leeann would disagree.

It's got to stop.

StevesFamau5
30-03-2019, 09:11 PM
I would personally ban them, and I don't think leeann would disagree.

It's got to stop.

Careful now, you'll be called a snowflake by one of the 'ultras'.... 😂

When done right pyro looks brilliant and can really add to atmosphere, unfortunately in the UK it's just one or two dafties high on cheap coke throwing them about like beachballs.

JXM73
30-03-2019, 09:52 PM
Careful now, you'll be called a snowflake by one of the 'ultras'.... 😂

When done right pyro looks brilliant and can really add to atmosphere, unfortunately in the UK it's just one or two dafties high on cheap coke throwing them about like beachballs.

Woohoo, I'm an ultra..that's a first...

Is coke for personal use still illegal? Thought the law had softened on this..

So banned list so far which do seem rife at games:
Pyrotechnics
Inebriated fans
Class A drugs
Sectarianism/racism
Encroachment
Wee flags

Anything else I've missed recently?

LancashireHibby
30-03-2019, 09:53 PM
As has already been pointed out it's also banned to be in a stadium drunk but I don't see a clamor on here to have that clamped down on?
Because not every drunk person is a problem, whereas every smoke bomb can be a problem for those with respiratory problems. Never wondered why you’ve never heard of ‘passive drinking’ or why you can’t smoke in pubs?

Scouse Hibee
30-03-2019, 10:11 PM
Woohoo, I'm an ultra..that's a first...

Pyrotechnics
Inebriated fans
Class A drugs
Sectarianism/racism
Encroachment
Wee flags

Anything else I've missed recently?

Maybe some of those inebriated fans drive to and from the games also.

StevesFamau5
30-03-2019, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE=JXM73;5752757]Woohoo, I'm an ultra..that's a first...

Pyrotechnics
Inebriated fans
Class A drugs
Sectarianism/racism
Encroachment
Wee flags

Anything else I've missed recently?[/QUOTE

Are you? Good to know....

Yeah, pretty sure possession of cocaine is an offence. Amount is irrelevant as far as I'm aware.

Class A drugs, sectarianism/racism and field encroachment should be punished severely. Pyro, drunk dafties and wee flags common sense would be a good start. Still struggling to understand what joy folk can have by being so far off their face at a game? Can anyone advise?

SquashedFrogg
30-03-2019, 10:18 PM
[QUOTE=JXM73;5752757]Woohoo, I'm an ultra..that's a first...

Pyrotechnics
Inebriated fans
Class A drugs
Sectarianism/racism
Encroachment
Wee flags

Anything else I've missed recently?[/QUOTE

Are you? Good to know....

Yeah, pretty sure possession of cocaine is an offence. Amount is irrelevant as far as I'm aware.

Class A drugs, sectarianism/racism and field encroachment should be punished severely. Pyro, drunk dafties and wee flags common sense would be a good start. Still struggling to understand what joy folk can have by being so far off their face at a game? Can anyone advise?

Fills a gap in their lives? It's an odd one. Maybe they struggle to function in the real world.

Since90+2
30-03-2019, 10:43 PM
Because not every drunk person is a problem, whereas every smoke bomb can be a problem for those with respiratory problems. Never wondered why you’ve never heard of ‘passive drinking’ or why you can’t smoke in pubs?

I sort of agree with you and I'm being abit flippant with the alcohol comments, I'm guilty myself of turning up to games slightly tipsy at times.

Im just pointing out that smoke bombs are not in the grand scheme of things really that bad.

DarlingtonHibee
30-03-2019, 11:31 PM
I sort of agree with you and I'm being abit flippant with the alcohol comments, I'm guilty myself of turning up to games slightly tipsy at times.

Im just pointing out that smoke bombs are not in the grand scheme of things really that bad.

Why don't you ask leeann that question

One Day
30-03-2019, 11:47 PM
If there's a vacancy for this position my wife would like to put her hat in the ring,,,, she's an expert on spying intoxication at 20 paces!

My wife would beat her. She's scary

Jay
31-03-2019, 12:14 AM

Totally missed my point

Lendo
31-03-2019, 01:31 PM

Poor wee snowflake...

Ahhh the customary snowflake retort, the sure fire sign that someone is a Brexit voter

Moulin Yarns
31-03-2019, 03:47 PM
Wasn't sure which thread to post this on. Police arrested 6 at Celtc Park today, relevant to this thread.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-47767055

SanFranHibs
31-03-2019, 05:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBBTo7_ezT4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBBTo7_ezT4

Some scenes in these games, In the second video near the end the fans are on the roof of the stand. Had to laugh that after it all they put up the caption, "Match ended 0-0".

Sioux
31-03-2019, 05:34 PM
Wasn't sure which thread to post this on. Police arrested 6 at Celtc Park today, relevant to this thread.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-47767055

What's that got to do with anything? This thread's about smoke bombs, not a handful of pissed dafties.

That pales into insignificance compared to what's gone on at ER the last few weeks.

JXM73
31-03-2019, 06:00 PM
Ahhh the customary snowflake retort, the sure fire sign that someone is a Brexit voter

Oh a brexit supporter, I'm so hurt.. think I'll rethink my life...oh no...

Keith_M
31-03-2019, 06:35 PM
The displays from the so-called Ultras are not intended as a support for their team. They may have started out that way but have developed into a contest between the competing groups as to whose display looks best. They started with giant flags and went to the next level with pyro.

It's basically just all, "look at me".

For anybody that admires them, many of the 'Ultras' in Europe are the biggest bunch of thugs going. These are the people that attacked innocent men, women and children at a Dortmund v Leipzig game quite recently and led to the famed 'Gelbe Wand' being closed for one game as punishment.

(note, this is not a dig at Since 1875, who I don't consider to be 'Ultras')

JimboHibs
31-03-2019, 08:46 PM

And yet prior to the Scottish Cup Final pyrotechnics/smoke was being used by the ORGANISERS to erm ADD to the atmosphere also never read anyone complaining about the smoke bombs let off in the huns end prior to Stokes scoring,funnily never heard any of the SFA compliance officers complain about the use of pyros at the final ?

LancashireHibby
31-03-2019, 08:59 PM
And yet prior to the Scottish Cup Final pyrotechnics/smoke was being used by the ORGANISERS to erm ADD to the atmosphere also never read anyone complaining about the smoke bombs let off in the huns end prior to Stokes scoring,funnily never heard any of the SFA compliance officers complain about the use of pyros at the final ?
There’s clearly a difference between on-pitch pyrotechnics, set off in a controlled manner in the open air hundreds of metres from any spectators, and a device being set off in a space as confined as a packed stand with the smoke being redistributed via the roof rather than having space to drift away.

And I somehow doubt anyone on here will have been in the vicinity of the one in the Rangers end that you mention.

SChibs
31-03-2019, 09:14 PM
The displays from the so-called Ultras are not intended as a support for their team. They may have started out that way but have developed into a contest between the competing groups as to whose display looks best. They started with giant flags and went to the next level with pyro.

It's basically just all, "look at me".

For anybody that admires them, many of the 'Ultras' in Europe are the biggest bunch of thugs going. These are the people that attacked innocent men, women and children at a Dortmund v Leipzig game quite recently and led to the famed 'Gelbe Wand' being closed for one game as punishment.

(note, this is not a dig at Since 1875, who I don't consider to be 'Ultras')

Is this fact or your opinion? There are lots of ultra groups on the continent that sing and support their team for the whole game win lose or draw. It's a struggle to get most hibs fans to even sing once during a game. Just because some teams ultras have a reputation for violence you can't really tarnish them all with the same brush. Unless you have any evidence to back it up?

cabbageandribs1875
31-03-2019, 09:18 PM
i'l give credit to the small band of Livi fans last friday, 2-0 down and they were still singing away enjoying themselves

yeah i know nowt to do with smoke bombs, just sayin likes :)

JimboHibs
01-04-2019, 08:46 AM
There’s clearly a difference between on-pitch pyrotechnics, set off in a controlled manner in the open air hundreds of metres from any spectators, and a device being set off in a space as confined as a packed stand with the smoke being redistributed via the roof rather than having space to drift away.

And I somehow doubt anyone on here will have been in the vicinity of the one in the Rangers end that you mention.

Pish at what part of Hampden is any supporter hundreds of meters away from where the pyro's are released.

SChibs
01-04-2019, 09:48 AM
Pish at what part of Hampden is any supporter hundreds of meters away from where the pyro's are released.

Any seat behind the goals at Hampden feels hundreds of meters away from the pitch to be fair.

andybev1
01-04-2019, 09:52 AM
flares are meant to add a bit of coiour but it just looked like grey smoke bollowng out - more like a fire on the telly. I llike the flares outside the ground when 1875 are marching to tynie tbh but inside it just pisses most people off if thrown on the pitch.

LancashireHibby
01-04-2019, 12:09 PM
Admittedly hundreds as a plural is a slight exaggeration (other than behind the goals....), but no general spectator would be within x number of yards and it would be risk assessed to the nth degree.

Regardless of any thoughts on smoke bombs one way or another, surely you must be able to recognise the difference between professionals carrying out a fully controlled pyrotechnic show in a clear area and a 16 year old kid chucking a smoke bomb around an enclosed area that they've bought online?

JimboHibs
01-04-2019, 12:45 PM
Admittedly hundreds as a plural is a slight exaggeration (other than behind the goals....), but no general spectator would be within x number of yards and it would be risk assessed to the nth degree.

Regardless of any thoughts on smoke bombs one way or another, surely you must be able to recognise the difference between professionals carrying out a fully controlled pyrotechnic show in a clear area and a 16 year old kid chucking a smoke bomb around an enclosed area that they've bought online?

You must be able to recognise that when they are released in a so called controlled enviroment they will still be troublesome to anyone with breathing difficulties.Theres no right or wrong,you have the authorities using them to add to the atmosphere yet when a supporter uses them the end is nigh.

LancashireHibby
01-04-2019, 12:59 PM
You must be able to recognise that when they are released in a so called controlled enviroment they will still be troublesome to anyone with breathing difficulties.Theres no right or wrong,you have the authorities using them to add to the atmosphere yet when a supporter uses them the end is nigh.
You've clearly never done a risk assessment at a public event. The ones set off on the pitch are done so with plenty of clearance for the smoke to clear. World of difference to when a smoke bomb (contents unknown when bought online) is let off at the back of a stand with nowhere for the smoke to escape.

Moulin Yarns
04-04-2019, 08:09 AM
Not a smoke bomb, but just as bad. A pyrotechnic that has no place in a football crowd.

Last night's game in Paisley.

Manager Neil Lennon described the use of pyrotechnics at football as "totally uncalled for" after Celtic fans threw one on to the pitch at St Mirren.
The Paisley club's Vaclav Hladky had to be attended to after a missile landed with a loud bang on the pitch near him.
It happened after Ryan Christie scored Celtic's second goal in the 2-0 Scottish Premiership win - a victory that edges them close to the title.
"I'm just hoping that the St Mirren goalkeeper is alright," said Lennon.
Speaking to BBC Scotland, he added: "We don't want pyrotechnics, fireworks, bangers in the stadium. It doesn't serve any purpose.
"Why does an individual want to bring that to a game? It doesn't impress anyone, it doesn't add anything. It just damages the reputation of the good fans we have.
"It's just totally uncalled for at a time when we should be enjoying football and hopefully having a big [title] celebration in a week or two."

St Mirren manager Oran Kearney said goalkeeper Hladky was "a little bit shaken but OK".
The Northern Irishman had already used his three substitutes and said he was tempted to take his team off the pitch.
"I had a brief chat with him and thankfully it hasn't ended up more sinister than it could have been," said Kearney, whose side remain two points clear of Dundee at the bottom.
"I am standing 50 or 60 yards away and it made me jump. So if he is a yard [away] or however close, I dread to think the sound that came off."

Former Celtic goalkeeper Pat Bonner on Sportsound
I don't understand how someone can throw something on to the pitch without understanding that it can do damage to somebody. It just doesn't make sense to me. Lets hope the fans take heed of what Neil Lennon is saying, but I doubt if they will - that's the problem.
I was out in France for the European Championships and we were searched all around the stadium. It costs a lot of money, it takes a lot of people to do it, but that's probably what will have to happen because somebody is going to get hurt. Lets cut it out before it happens.

As Pat Bonner says, security will have to increase, imagine going to Easter Road and having to go through several cordons of security?

Antifa Hibs
04-04-2019, 08:35 AM
Ahhhh, le French and their amazing searches Pat. All separate games in the month of March lol...

http://saturday-fc.fr/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/279A4215-700x466.jpg

https://servimg.com/view/15942755/12004

https://servimg.com/view/19522682/117

https://i.servimg.com/u/f28/12/59/19/16/nimes-10.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D17Jn0_XgAAGm9J.jpg:large

http://www.fanatics-marseille.net/1988/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/2-1280x853.jpg

In all seriousness I like the odd bit of pyro, however throwing it on the pitch is ******** behaviour and needs to stop whatever device it is. Keep it in the stands. Maybe a change of tactic from the authorities as the old "if you're caught we'll throw you in jail" doesn't seem to work (Don't think its ever worked for anything TBH), open up to the groups, have a bit dialogue with them "if you can stop doing this we'll allow this", let the groups try keep the younger ones in line.

where'stheslope
04-04-2019, 08:50 AM
Have to say, after watching the banger or whatever it was at St Mirren last night, I felt if the St Mirren manager had taken the players off the pitch, I for one would have back him!!!
Seeing the goalkeepers reaction was bad, but even Christie who was a lot further away S**T himself!
Think this is the first time I've seen this type of banger being thrown, but then it asks the question of what next????
Its scary times to be on a football pitch, as you don't know where or when the next one will come!!!!

JXM73
04-04-2019, 09:10 AM
Have to say, after watching the banger or whatever it was at St Mirren last night, I felt if the St Mirren manager had taken the players off the pitch, I for one would have back him!!!
Seeing the goalkeepers reaction was bad, but even Christie who was a lot further away S**T himself!
Think this is the first time I've seen this type of banger being thrown, but then it asks the question of what next????
Its scary times to be on a football pitch, as you don't know where or when the next one will come!!!!

A similar firework was set off at the cup game against them at easter road

hibbyfraelibby
04-04-2019, 09:33 AM
After last night at Paisley does anyone else not think the Players Union might now be best advising their members to leave the pitch if pyro/flares/thunder flashes are thrown at a game?

The St. Mirren goalie was visibly shocked and not capable of continuing.

When actions from the stands threaten injury or death in the workplace no self respecting trade union would countenance allowing employers to expose their workers to such a risk.

The inadequate attention seekers need to get a grip or life.

Phil MaGlass
04-04-2019, 09:42 AM
I think they are flashbangs that the army uses during exercises, pretty dangerous if they land close to you, could easily damage your ear drums.

ballengeich
04-04-2019, 11:14 AM
After last night at Paisley does anyone else not think the Players Union might now be best advising their members to leave the pitch if pyro/flares/thunder flashes are thrown at a game?

The St. Mirren goalie was visibly shocked and not capable of continuing.

When actions from the stands threaten injury or death in the workplace no self respecting trade union would countenance allowing employers to expose their workers to such a risk.

The inadequate attention seekers need to get a grip or life.

I agree with both of you, except that I would like to see the action of taking players off initiated by the referee. The SFA and SPFL should issue instructions to that effect.

StevesFamau5
04-04-2019, 11:15 AM
A similar firework was set off at the cup game against them at easter road

Aye, you could see where it went off and was loud even all the way up the back of the east near FF.

Despise the Green Brigade, absolutely desperate to be part of the euro ultra scene but are just skinny jean wearing, ankle displaying, green coat donning wallopers :grr::grr:

Carheenlea
04-04-2019, 11:23 AM
I remember a banger going off at Perth a couple of years back I think? Absolutely jumped out my skin with fright.
In the light of recent incidents I think we should prepare for some delays getting into Tynecastle in Saturday as security will likely be more thorough.

HibeeHibernian4
04-04-2019, 12:10 PM
Not a smoke bomb, but just as bad. A pyrotechnic that has no place in a football crowd.

Last night's game in Paisley.

No, not a smoke bomb and far, far worse.

Smoke bombs are not the problem, they are harmless.

********s lobbing fireworks and flash bangs is a stupid idea and needs curbed ASAP.

As someone else has said, it's Celtic dressing up and playing European ultras. Saddos with nothing better to do in life.

speedy_gonzales
04-04-2019, 12:24 PM
I think they are flashbangs that the army uses during exercises, pretty dangerous if they land close to you, could easily damage your ear drums.
Initially reported as a "firecracker" last night on the radio, this was more like a stun grenade. As others said, Christie pooped himself and he was 30 yards away, the keeper was closer to 4,,,, wouldn't be surprised if he didn't suffer from it temporarily.

Moulin Yarns
04-04-2019, 12:26 PM
No, not a smoke bomb and far, far worse.

Smoke bombs are not the problem, they are harmless.

********s lobbing fireworks and flash bangs is a stupid idea and needs curbed ASAP.

As someone else has said, it's Celtic dressing up and playing European ultras. Saddos with nothing better to do in life.

Not always, as seen in this academic paper.

Zinc Chloride Smoke Inhalation Induced Severe Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome: First Survival in the United States with Extended Duration (Five Weeks) Therapy with High Dose Corticosteroids in Combination with Lung Protective Ventilation

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/cricc/2017/7952782/

A worrying 28% thought flares and smoke bombs were less dangerous than fireworks. Flares burn at the melting point of steel and contain toxic chemicals. ... Smoke bombs also burn at high temperatures and are not designed for use in confined spaces. They can cause panic in a tightly packed crowd and trigger asthma attacks

Alan Weir, Head of Medical Services at St John Ambulance, said: “We know that St John Ambulance volunteers have treated people for burns and smoke inhalation caused by flares at several football grounds. These cases could have led to disfigurement or other serious injuries.”

Amanda Jacks, Caseworker at the Football Supporters’ Federation, said: “Putting aside arguments over rights and wrongs, the simple fact is it’s against the law and could be a danger to other fans. Use pyro in stadiums and there’s a good chance you’ll be caught, get a criminal record, and long-term football banning order. You might even go to jail.”

source https://www.peppermintbars.co.uk/flares-and-smoke-bombs-into-football-matches/

But they are harmless fun :rolleyes:

WeeRussell
04-04-2019, 12:42 PM

I’ve never put anyone else’s health at risk, or earned the club a fine through having one pint too many before the game. Can I still comment and say I wish these things that cause us bother as a club would stop?

HibeeHibernian4
04-04-2019, 01:09 PM
Not always, as seen in this academic paper.

Zinc Chloride Smoke Inhalation Induced Severe Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome: First Survival in the United States with Extended Duration (Five Weeks) Therapy with High Dose Corticosteroids in Combination with Lung Protective Ventilation

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/cricc/2017/7952782/

source https://www.peppermintbars.co.uk/flares-and-smoke-bombs-into-football-matches/

But they are harmless fun :rolleyes:

That article is doing exactly what the media and Police Scotland also (deliberately) do, which is to conflate flares and smoke bombs and often just mix them up. I saw one journalist call the flash bang device yesterday a 'smoke bomb', for goodness sakes.

If you were going to have a debate about gun control and couldn't even differentiate an assault rifle from a water gun, you'd be rightly discredited and laughed out of the building. But when it's serving the purpose of demonising football fans, then everybody's all ears.

Fast forward through this video, if you have a spare 5 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB64XDKufsI

Watch the number of smoke bombs set off, watch the shockingly low number of deaths, asthma attacks or anything close to harm being caused by them.

It.

Is.

A.

Myth.

Famous Fiver
04-04-2019, 02:17 PM
Flares?

There were 20,000 of us with Flares in the 70's.

Thank god they went out of fashion. I'd have a criminal record.

Moulin Yarns
04-04-2019, 02:44 PM
That article is doing exactly what the media and Police Scotland also (deliberately) do, which is to conflate flares and smoke bombs and often just mix them up. I saw one journalist call the flash bang device yesterday a 'smoke bomb', for goodness sakes.

If you were going to have a debate about gun control and couldn't even differentiate an assault rifle from a water gun, you'd be rightly discredited and laughed out of the building. But when it's serving the purpose of demonising football fans, then everybody's all ears.

Fast forward through this video, if you have a spare 5 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB64XDKufsI

Watch the number of smoke bombs set off, watch the shockingly low number of deaths, asthma attacks or anything close to harm being caused by them.

It.

Is.

A.

Myth.

Very difficult to tell how many were treated from that video from high up in the crowd. :wink: But just for clarification.

They

are

illegal

and

you

face

a

banning

order

if

caught.

StevesFamau5
04-04-2019, 03:28 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D3T8LsJWsAAkMjM.jpg:large

Green Brigade cause problem, Green Brigade release statement "condemning" problem they caused...... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

#numpties

DarlingtonHibee
04-04-2019, 03:49 PM

You still going against hibs policy?

Since90+2
04-04-2019, 03:59 PM
You still going against hibs policy?

Hibs have a policy on folk commenting on a fans forum about the merits of smoke bombs? Never seen that one. Can you post a link? Cheers.

SChibs
04-04-2019, 04:02 PM
Very difficult to tell how many were treated from that video from high up in the crowd. :wink: But just for clarification.

They

are

illegal

and

you

face

a

banning

order

if

caught.

I don't think he's disputing whether or not they are illegal as it is pretty clear they are. I think he's trying to say they shouldn't be illegal, which they shouldn't imo.

where'stheslope
04-04-2019, 04:11 PM
I don't think he's disputing whether or not they are illegal as it is pretty clear they are. I think he's trying to say they shouldn't be illegal, which they shouldn't imo.
They are not illegal if used for what they are meant for, they are not designed for throwing at football matches hence they are illegal!!!!

DarlingtonHibee
04-04-2019, 04:13 PM
Hibs have a policy on folk commenting on a fans forum about the merits of smoke bombs? Never seen that one. Can you post a link? Cheers.

Check every hibs official website re tickets.

HibeeHibernian4
04-04-2019, 04:15 PM

:agree:

Precisely.

I'm aware they're illegal, that's not what I'm disputing. I'm disputing whether should be, and I'm certainly challenging some of the ridiculous narratives that surround smoke bombs. Bernard Higgins, who's high up in Police Scotland, said there would be deaths soon from pyrotechnic devices.

(Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45275563)

It's risible hysteria.

Since90+2
04-04-2019, 04:18 PM
Check every hibs official website re tickets.

And they'll have a policy on commenting on Hibs.net about the merits or otherwise of smoke bombs? What are you going on about?

DarlingtonHibee
04-04-2019, 04:20 PM
Hibs don't want this problem.

Forget about hibs.net

where'stheslope
04-04-2019, 04:24 PM

Precisely.

I'm aware they're illegal, that's not what I'm disputing. I'm disputing whether should be, and I'm certainly challenging some of the ridiculous narratives that surround smoke bombs. Bernard Higgins, who's high up in Police Scotland, said there would be deaths soon from pyrotechnic devices.

It's risible hysteria.
Depends on what he is classing as a pyrotechnic, I'm sure there was someone killed at a Welsh International football game hit by a firework rocket from the stand opposite!
The way things are going in Scotland, it could easily happen here!!!!!

HFC93
04-04-2019, 04:25 PM
I’ve never understood the appeal of pyro/flares/smoke bombs etc at Scottish/UK football.

It’s all part of that faux ‘Ultra’ culture that we’ve imported from Europe.

HibeeHibernian4
04-04-2019, 04:34 PM
Depends on what he is classing as a pyrotechnic, I'm sure there was someone killed at a Welsh International football game hit by a firework rocket from the stand opposite!

Yes, it was Wales - Romania in 1993, a tragedy as an elderly gentleman was hit in the neck by a marine distress flare fired from the other side of the stadium and died.

The reason why he died is because a missile flew hundreds of yards in the air and struck him.

A marine distress flare and the flares that football fans take into stadiums are not comparable apart from in name.

Look at this video of somebody practising with a marine distress flare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FejZcTxUYM

Look at the flares being held by Celtic fans in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeOJyMpJb00

There is a clear difference, one is being used safely, one is patently unsafe and should never be in a football ground.

Moulin Yarns
04-04-2019, 04:36 PM
Yes, it was Wales - Romania in 1993, a tragedy as an elderly gentleman was hit in the neck by a marine distress flare fired from the other side of the stadium and died.

The reason why he died is because a missile flew hundreds of yards in the air and struck him.

A marine distress flare and the flares that football fans take into stadiums are not comparable apart from in name.

Look at this video of somebody practising with a marine distress flare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FejZcTxUYM

Look at the flares being held by Celtic fans in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeOJyMpJb00

There is a clear difference, one is being used safely, one is patently unsafe and should never be in a football ground.

Neither should be anywhere near a location where crowds gather. The law is quite clear.

HibeeHibernian4
04-04-2019, 04:38 PM
Neither should be anywhere near a location where crowds gather. The law is quite clear.

And, as I have explained several times, legality does not equal correct.

The following example is, of course, not a direct comparison, so please don't jump on it and suggest I'm comparing the two.

It used to be illegal for African Americans to sit on certain parts of a bus, you don't shrug your shoulders and go 'the law is quite clear' (although a lot of White Americans did, for that matter).

Laws aren't objectively right, they're created (often) for the good of society but at times are downright wrong.

And, FWIW, I'm talking about smoke bombs when I say they should be legalised, I personally think flares should stay out of stadiums, but I highlighted an example of them being used safely. There are hundreds of examples of them being used safely all across the world in football.

Moulin Yarns
04-04-2019, 04:41 PM

The following example is, of course, not a direct comparison, so please don't jump on it and suggest I'm comparing the two.

It used to be illegal for African Americans to sit on certain parts of a bus, you don't shrug your shoulders and go 'the law is quite clear' (although a lot of White Americans did, for that matter).

Laws aren't objectively right, they're created (often) for the good of society but at times are downright wrong.

Legality does not equal correct. Wow!!! If I drive a car at you and knock you down it wouldn't be legal but it would be correct. That is some wonderful definition.

Yes m'lud, I know it was illegal but it was correct. 😉😂👍

HibeeHibernian4
04-04-2019, 04:49 PM
Legality does not equal correct. Wow!!! If I drive a car at you and knock you down it wouldn't be legal but it would be correct. That is some wonderful definition.

Yes m'lud, I know it was illegal but it was correct. 😉😂👍

Haha. :greengrin

Obviously that doesn't apply, my point is more:

"Why are smoke bombs banned, they're fine?"

"They're illegal."

That response is telling me what I already know. I know they're illegal, telling me they're illegal isn't a justification for why they're illegal, it's just telling me they're illegal.

hibbyfraelibby
04-04-2019, 04:53 PM

Precisely.

It's risible hysteria.

Whether they are illegal or not you dont make them legal by acting illegally.

Its like saying "I dont believe in the 70mph speed limit and from time to time I break that limit so it should be made legal because I'm an arrogant pratt who thinks he is above the law and reject all the well documented and proven links showing exceeding 70mph is a danger to myself and others.

Pyro has proven side effects and risks which apply to a wide variety of people. Just because you cannot accept that society must act responsibly in the interest of the whole community rather than the selfish self interest of the individual will not change the legal status.

As for Mr Higgins I think you'll find he no longer has such a position.

Keith_M
04-04-2019, 05:04 PM
Is this fact or your opinion? There are lots of ultra groups on the continent that sing and support their team for the whole game win lose or draw. It's a struggle to get most hibs fans to even sing once during a game. Just because some teams ultras have a reputation for violence you can't really tarnish them all with the same brush. Unless you have any evidence to back it up?

Maybe you should read my whole post before reacting, as I did nothing of the kind.

Here's what I actually wrote.

"many of the 'Ultras' in Europe are the biggest bunch of thugs going"

And no, it's not my opinion, it's fact. I've lived in two European countries that have both had fairly regular and serious incidents with 'Ultras' violence.

SChibs
04-04-2019, 05:06 PM
I’ve never understood the appeal of pyro/flares/smoke bombs etc at Scottish/UK football.

It’s all part of that faux ‘Ultra’ culture that we’ve imported from Europe.

Because it's a visual stimulus. At concerts, gigs, theatre etc there is often light shows and the likes because it enhances the experience.

Going to the football isn't entirely about watching the game. The noise and the colour add to the atmosphere at games to make it a better experience. Going to the football is about the sight, noises, smells feelings and everything else you experience at a game that isnt necessarily the game itself.

hibbyfraelibby
04-04-2019, 05:30 PM
Going to the football is about the sight, noises, smells feelings and everything else you experience at a game that isnt necessarily the game itself.

Aye right. I've seen some sights at football matches...flares/bell bottoms with tartan long collared shirts and tank tops combined with 4 inch platforms

As for noises I've stood near the O'Rourke brothers with their flaming bell

Smells? Oh yeah the stench from the so called toilet blocks or the open sewer that was the Dunbar End Terracing

Oh and theres nothing like the feelings. Feelings like the warm wet one running down the back of your leg.

Millennials and their artificial stimuli have along way to go before the true organic sensation of real football are erased from my mind😉😉😉

Moulin Yarns
26-09-2019, 03:10 PM
Injuries due to the use of pyrotechnics at Livingston last night.

Livingston vs Rangers 25-09-19🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Cup #RangersFC #Rangers https://t.co/X1GIzPodoC

We're appealing for information after pyrotechnics were smuggled into the stadium and set off during Livingston v Rangers last night.

A woman and boy were treated by medics. Their injuries weren't serious but the consequences could have been much worse.

https://t.co/SkJmubjE0h

Cataplana
26-09-2019, 05:16 PM

And, FWIW, I'm talking about smoke bombs when I say they should be legalised, I personally think flares should stay out of stadiums, but I highlighted an example of them being used safely. There are hundreds of examples of them being used safely all across the world in football.

I think I am entitled to rely on the law of the land when making risk assessments about my own safety.

The rest of your post is quite offensive.

where'stheslope
26-09-2019, 06:43 PM
Now it appears to have happened here, though not life threatening injuries it is still avoidable injuries to their own fans!!!
Should be no more "Ah Buts", just do not bring them to football grounds, end off!!!!

Galahibby
26-09-2019, 11:27 PM
*This* is what you call an injury... (don't watch this on your lunch break [emoji2961])

https://twitter.com/ScottBurns75/status/1174702630142140416?s=19

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm_cabbaged
27-09-2019, 04:46 AM
*This* is what you call an injury... (don't watch this on your lunch break [emoji2961])

https://twitter.com/ScottBurns75/status/1174702630142140416?s=19

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

**** me, that’s brutal!! A wee bit sudocream will sort it though 😳👀

The Pointer
27-09-2019, 08:22 AM
Think he mistook a flare for a hand grenade. His mum will give him laldy when she sees the state of him.

Hermit Crab
27-09-2019, 08:26 AM
Seen something similar involving a firework on some cctv footage, blew the guys hand off and he was just walking about with blood dripping everywhere with folk just standing round watching him.

Anthony Soprano
27-09-2019, 09:29 AM

They are not hibs fans.

Who are you to make such a claim?

Anyone who has forked out cash on a midweek game in ayrshire to go and watch that pish must be a Hibs fan or why else would they go to the effort.

Begbie79
27-09-2019, 10:08 AM
Was at Red Star Belgrade v Partizan Belgrade in March.

Incredible atmosphere added to by the fireworks and Pyrotechnics.

Can understand people not being into them but completely adds to the atmosphere of a game IMO.

wookie70
27-09-2019, 10:34 AM

As an asthma sufferer I think the law is correct. As a parent whose daughter was hit by one at Tiny and whose child still talks about it and is put off going to Tiny they should be banned.( Her scarf just under her chin was stained and the concrete where it landed looked scorched) As a supporter who likes watching the game through clear air I'm glad they are banned. As someone who thinks objects that are designed to burn at over 1000 degrees and not be easily extinguished I think you are nuts to think that is something we need in stadiums.

As to the links you posted, the Celtc fans had burning objects next to, more than likely, flammable flags which were over the heads of hundreds of supporters. Not sure what point you were making but it appears you suggest that was flares being used safely by supporters. The distress flare one at least showed it being used for its intended purpose. ie an emergency not to give a supporter a look at me moment. I personally think the law should always be challenged if citizens think it is incorrect and support you to challenge if that is your belief. On this though you are completely wrong and I hope you get knowhere. All forms of Pyro are dangerous particularly in confined spaces packed with supporters and used by inexperienced operators for a purpose they were not designed for and could cause a multitude of issues from allergic reactions, burns, eye issues and breathing difficulties.

Jay
27-09-2019, 10:41 AM

Taking the legal side of it out of it do you not care about the health of fellow fans? Youve no idea how a smoke bomb will affect someone close by. People who maybe arent in the best of health and the elderly make huge efforts to get to a game sometimes and a smoke bomb let off beside them could cause a lot of harm, anxiety or panic.

Its selfish and stupid

snedzuk
27-09-2019, 10:48 AM
Aye right. I've seen some sights at football matches...flares/bell bottoms with tartan long collared shirts and tank tops combined with 4 inch platforms

As for noises I've stood near the O'Rourke brothers with their flaming bell

Smells? Oh yeah the stench from the so called toilet blocks or the open sewer that was the Dunbar End Terracing

Oh and theres nothing like the feelings. Feelings like the warm wet one running down the back of your leg.

Millennials and their artificial stimuli have along way to go before the true organic sensation of real football are erased from my mind😉😉😉

Ezra macaroon bar arra spearmint chewin gum.