PDA

View Full Version : The race for Europe

Hibeesmad
29-03-2019, 10:32 PM
Hamilton win over Kilmarnock tomorrow would mean that a win against Killie on Wednesday would put us into 4th place.

Let the race for Europe commence. :cb

Nevi_SOL
29-03-2019, 10:33 PM
I’m being greedy and want a hearts draw against Aberdeen and push for 3rd only 4 of it just now

Hibeesmad
29-03-2019, 10:36 PM
I’m being greedy and want a hearts draw against Aberdeen and push for 3rd only 4 of it just now

I was thinking the exact same :aok:

bingo70
29-03-2019, 10:41 PM
Are we due to play Aberdeen at home after the split?

hibee_girl
29-03-2019, 10:49 PM

No, we’ve had two home games against them

Since452
29-03-2019, 10:53 PM
We should be aiming for 3rd now absolutely no question

Since452
29-03-2019, 10:54 PM

No. We should be aiming higher than Hearts now.

Hibeesmad
29-03-2019, 10:54 PM

I don't think so. However, our away record is a point short of their home record this season. With Hecky at the wheel we can get something there.

Nakedmanoncrack
29-03-2019, 10:56 PM
How does our points total compare to last season after 31 games?

Hibeesmad
29-03-2019, 11:00 PM
How does our points total compare to last season after 31 games?

We were 7 points better off after this many games last season I believe.

Sir David Gray
29-03-2019, 11:06 PM
We were 7 points better off after this many games last season I believe.

Correct.

We need to win almost every game that we've got left to match last season's tally.

Since452
29-03-2019, 11:07 PM
I don't think so. However, our away record is a point short of their home record this season. With Hecky at the wheel we can get something there.

Don't think Aberdeen have won at home this year

Sir David Gray
29-03-2019, 11:08 PM
Don't think Aberdeen have won at home this year

Not in the league anyway.

Their last league win at Pittodrie was in December v Hearts.

B.H.F.C
29-03-2019, 11:12 PM
We’ve given ourselves a chance. I think it’ll be a push to achieve it, but to even have a chance given the position we were in when Heckingbottom came in is superb.

Hibbyradge
29-03-2019, 11:12 PM
I don't think we've any chance of getting 4th place, but it's pretty cool that it's even a mathematical possibly after the start we had.

BoomtownHibees
29-03-2019, 11:15 PM
I don't think we've any chance of getting 4th place, but it's pretty cool that it's even a mathematical possibly after the start we had.

We are 3 points behind the team in 4th place (albeit they have a game in hand at home to Hamilton) but we play them on Wednesday so not sure how you think we don’t have any chance of overtaking them

Hibernia&Alba
29-03-2019, 11:18 PM

We definitely have a chance of fourth and even third. All to play for just now.

B.H.F.C
29-03-2019, 11:19 PM

Not saying we will get fourth, but we certainly have a chance. Especially with playing Killie on Wednesday.

wookie70
29-03-2019, 11:21 PM
We have a fair chance of 3rd if we keep picking up points like we are. Top six is already a decent achievement for Heck. He doesn't sound to me like he will be happy with sixth though and hard to beat is a good way to be at this stage of the season. 4 points in the next two games and we have a great shout at Europe.

MWHIBBIES
29-03-2019, 11:23 PM
Rather not be in Europe tbh, we have rebuilding to do and some easy league cup ties to settle new faces would be best.

BoomtownHibees
29-03-2019, 11:25 PM
Rather not be in Europe tbh, we have rebuilding to do and some easy league cup ties to settle new faces would be best.

Na, Europe all the way

B.H.F.C
29-03-2019, 11:25 PM

So we don’t want to qualify for Europe this year, so we can rebuild for next years league campaign where we will be attempting to qualify for Europe?

Fergus52
29-03-2019, 11:27 PM

Madness.

Our European run this season was amazing. Much better to watch than semi friendlies against league 2 teams

Sir David Gray
29-03-2019, 11:28 PM

Eh? That's surely the whole reason for entering the league every season? :confused:

Give me a repeat of the European matches we had this season over a couple of League Cup ties against Peterhead and East Fife any day.

jimmyboco#1
29-03-2019, 11:29 PM
[QUOTE=MWHIBBIES;5751799]Rather not be in Europe tbh, we have rebuilding to do and some easy league cup ties to settle new faces would be best.[/QUOT

Think you'll be on your own with that opinion. Of course we want to be in Europe!

Greenfly
29-03-2019, 11:29 PM

Pragmatic response but we should always be aiming for Europe - I'd far rather be playing Euro games than group stage League Cup games.

jimmyboco#1
29-03-2019, 11:31 PM
Pragmatic response but we should always be aiming for Europe - I'd far rather be playing Euro games than group stage League Cup games.

Absolutely!

inglisavhibs
29-03-2019, 11:32 PM
We are 3 points behind the team in 4th place (albeit they have a game in hand at home to Hamilton) but we play them on Wednesday so not sure how you think we don’t have any chance of overtaking them
Great game to look forward to on Wednesday under the lights.

Hibernia&Alba
29-03-2019, 11:34 PM
Eh? That's surely the whole reason for entering the league every season? :confused:

Give me a repeat of the European matches we had this season over a couple of League Cup ties against Peterhead and East Fife any day.

:agree:

:top marks

HibeeHibernian4
29-03-2019, 11:34 PM
Hearts and Dons to draw tomorrow, please. If one side has to win then Aberdeen, but a draw would keep them both firmly in our sights (and still above Hearts. :aok:)

Hibeesmad
29-03-2019, 11:37 PM

We play all year to achieve European football. Achieving European football will also mean more finances to bring in a higher quality of new faces and also attract new faces of high quality to join the club.

MWHIBBIES
Europe was fun this season but it was partly to blame for injuries, poor form and our general struggle. Obviously the aim is to consistently be in Europe but it's not ideal for a new manager with a new squad.

Ozyhibby

I will never understand that mentality. Europe gives us a chance to transform the fortune of the club. The money we can make from a decent run is massive compared to what we can make domestically. And it beats playing friendlies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
29-03-2019, 11:43 PM
I will never understand that mentality. Europe gives us a chance to transform the fortune of the club. The money we can make from a decent run is massive compared to what we can make domestically. And it beats playing friendlies.

This. You’ve got to live in hope that the draw could be relatively kind and you could get through to the group stages. Much smaller, less resourced clubs than us from around Europe have managed it. It’ll only ever happen if we qualify in the first place though.

MWHIBBIES
29-03-2019, 11:56 PM

It's a much slimmer chance than winning a trophy. I'd rather focus on that if we had a choice. In 20 years I won't look back at that time we almost qualified for the 3rd qualifying round. I won't be complaining if we finish strongly enough to get in Europe but it's really not the promise land people pretend it is. A nice settled start to the league with 1 game a week would be better for a side with 5/6 new signings.

green day
30-03-2019, 12:00 AM
Much rather have new faces playing competitive euro matches than daft friendlies.

Gets them toughened up and fit for the season ahead imo.

Austinho
30-03-2019, 12:07 AM
Being in Europe helps the stature of the club, and is more of an attraction for potential signings. It should always be the aim.

Hibbyradge
30-03-2019, 12:07 AM

I was wrong to use the phrase "no chance". I don't think we've got much of a chance.

Killie will win their game in hand so we're 6 points behind 4th. It's possible, but I'm certainly not expecting it.

SunshineOnLeith
30-03-2019, 12:08 AM
It's mental we're even part of this conversation, shows how badly Lennon sh*t the bed with a quality squad. Realistically 6th is about where we 'should' end up, but 6 points next week and we're all looking out the passports again...

B.H.F.C
30-03-2019, 12:09 AM
It's a much slimmer chance than winning a trophy. I'd rather focus on that if we had a choice. In 20 years I won't look back at that time we almost qualified for the 3rd qualifying round. I won't be complaining if we finish strongly enough to get in Europe but it's really not the promise land people pretend it is. A nice settled start to the league with 1 game a week would be better for a side with 5/6 new signings.

Europe didn’t hinder our start to the league season this year really. Only lost one of our first 8 or something. Had we not been in Europe we’d have been playing league cup games with equal opportunity of picking up injuries and all that.

Wonder what the players, and potential new players, would rather have. The opportunity of some European ties or Cowdenbeath away in the league cup?

MWHIBBIES
30-03-2019, 12:47 AM
Europe didn’t hinder our start to the league season this year really. Only lost one of our first 8 or something. Had we not been in Europe we’d have been playing league cup games with equal opportunity of picking up injuries and all that.

Wonder what the players, and potential new players, would rather have. The opportunity of some European ties or Cowdenbeath away in the league cup?
Of course the players would prefer Europe but I'm sure they wouldn't like the injuries that Hanlon, Gray, McGregor, Marciano, Stevenson, Boyle, McLaren, Bartley and more have all had. You need a ridiculously deep squad to compete in Europe and the league and 2 domestic cups. Ain't happening.

Hibbyradge
30-03-2019, 12:53 AM
Of course the players would prefer Europe but I'm sure they wouldn't like the injuries that Hanlon, Gray, McGregor, Marciano, Stevenson, Boyle, McLaren, Bartley and more have all had. You need a ridiculously deep squad to compete in Europe and the league and 2 domestic cups. Ain't happening.

What's not happening?

MWHIBBIES
30-03-2019, 01:17 AM
What's not happening?

I don't think Hibs, with the resources we currently have, can compete in Europe, along with the 3 domestic competitions, without players getting fatigued and injured.

If we are to have a decent run in Europe, which obviously we'd all love, we should chuck the league cup and just play kids, like all big English clubs do.

We're gonna have quite a few new players, potentially some like Mallan, McNulty, Horgan who haven't played much for a season before joining, who could really suffer from such a congested fixture list early on.

hfc rd
30-03-2019, 01:19 AM

That’s madness!

Surely qualifying for Europe is the club’s main objective each season? Otherwise what’s the point in taking our league games serious if we don’t want to finish high up the league table as possible? I’d rather be playing European games than games against league two clubs in the league cup group stages during that period.

MWHIBBIES
30-03-2019, 01:22 AM
That’s madness!

Surely qualifying for Europe is the club’s main objective each season? Otherwise what’s the point in taking our league games serious if we don’t want to finish high up the league table as possible? I’d rather be playing European games than games against league two clubs in the league cup group stages during that period.

The main objective is surely a trophy?

ozhibs
30-03-2019, 02:17 AM

Sorry the whole point is to get as high up the table as possible, I would rather play European games than friendlys.
It gives the club a higher profile, could attract a better standard of player and with a good draw make some money for the club
GGTTH

Hibeesmad
30-03-2019, 02:29 AM

From a business perspective the main aim is to finish as high in the league as possible which is in our case a position which gets you qualified for European football. Anything else is an objective but not crucial.

A manager of Hibs who finishes 3rd each season would not get sacked, regardless of how we do in the cups.

007 Mickey Weir
30-03-2019, 06:45 AM
I think I read somewhere that we are due 3 home games after split.

Celtic, Hearts and would probably be Aberdeen at home for a third time.

we are hibs
30-03-2019, 06:55 AM

Without doubt one of the most ridiculous things I have read on here. Well done

Onceinawhile
30-03-2019, 06:56 AM
I was wrong to use the phrase "no chance". I don't think we've got much of a chance.

Killie will win their game in hand so we're 6 points behind 4th. It's possible, but I'm certainly not expecting it.

We have to play killie twice though. There's your 6 points.

Also killie have won one of their last 10 games, I wouldn't be too sure of them winning their game in hand.

Tinribs
30-03-2019, 07:20 AM
I always want Hibs to be in Europe, but I do see the issue of fatigue.
The BBC did a statistical analysis of English teams League form whilst simultaneously competing in the Europa League. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/31470797

SRHibs
30-03-2019, 07:25 AM

This is mental to me. AEK Athens was almost 20 years ago by the way.

Onceinawhile
30-03-2019, 07:34 AM
Would be good because it would mean we had a hugely positive end to the season and we'd have the extra cash from finishing 3rd or 4th instead of 5th or 6th.

ano hibby
30-03-2019, 07:42 AM
I always want Hibs to be in Europe, but I do see the issue of fatigue.
The BBC did a statistical analysis of English teams League form whilst simultaneously competing in the Europa League. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/31470797

Interesting analysis. Confirms what you suspect. Give me the glamour any day though.

MWHIBBIES
30-03-2019, 10:05 AM
Without doubt one of the most ridiculous things I have read on here. Well done

Cheers 👍

theonlywayisup
30-03-2019, 01:12 PM

No, we’ve had two home games against them

Thought someone mentioned that if everyone in the top six gets the fixtures as you would expect Aberdeen would have 20 home fixtures and Hibs 18 with everyone else having 19. Easy solution is for Aberdeen to play a third fixture are Easter Road.

Power
30-03-2019, 01:16 PM
Win on Wednesday and we can absolutely push on. A loud support to push it over the line next two games to set us up nicely.

Johnny Clash
30-03-2019, 01:32 PM
3rd place is an outside possibility but we’re on a good run picking up points despite not playing at our best. Qualifying for Europe should be our goal every season. It’s good for the club and a reward for the supporters. Some of our best memories involve European games after all. So all for goals and glory... we all know the potential at Hibs!

mayo hibee
30-03-2019, 01:48 PM

Well we won't be winning the league any time soon so by that logic we should rest our best players for most of the league season, do just enough to stay out of the relegation battle and just put our best team out in the cup games.

Insane logic.

My_Wife_Camille
30-03-2019, 01:51 PM
:troll:

Keith_M
30-03-2019, 01:51 PM

I think that's fair.

The fact that we're even discussing the chances (however remote) of a Euro place is a big improvement on how we felt in January, when it was all doom-and-gloom.

Bangkok Hibby
30-03-2019, 02:37 PM
Hearts and Dons to draw tomorrow, please. If one side has to win then Aberdeen, but a draw would keep them both firmly in our sights (and still above Hearts. :aok:)

I disagree with people saying a draw is the best result. Being positive, a Hearts win today keeps Aberdeen stuck on 52 points. If we then beat Kilmarnock and Hearts we'll be right in the mix for 3rd place.

Keith_M
30-03-2019, 02:40 PM
I disagree with people saying a draw is the best result. Being positive, a Hearts win today keeps Aberdeen stuck on 52 points. If we then beat Kilmarnock and Hearts we'll be right in the mix for 3rd place.

But if Hearts lose, a bottom six place looms even larger.

lyonhibs
30-03-2019, 02:41 PM

You're at it :faf::faf:

Hibs should always, always strive for the best possible outcome every game and every season. Thanks to Heckingbottom's great start, that's now European qualification

Bangkok Hibby
30-03-2019, 02:42 PM
But if Hearts lose, a bottom six place looms even larger.

OK I suppose it comes down to what you want most. A successful Hibs or an unsuccessful Hearts...I know what I want

MWHIBBIES
30-03-2019, 02:50 PM
You're at it :faf::faf:

Hibs should always, always strive for the best possible outcome every game and every season. Thanks to Heckingbottom's great start, that's now European qualification

Of course, I never said otherwise. I've expanded on my initial post with a more in depth view. Trying read that.

Europe has a few negatives. I'd probably still rather be in it but it's nothing like the land of milk and honey folk pretend it is. Unless we do really well.

Tug Wilson
30-03-2019, 04:03 PM
Of course, I never said otherwise. I've expanded on my initial post with a more in depth view. Trying read that.

Europe has a few negatives. I'd probably still rather be in it but it's nothing like the land of milk and honey folk pretend it is. Unless we do really well.

There are definitely challenges that come with being in European competition.

However, I think that the way to combat many of these challenges is to consistently make Europe as opposed to once every few years.

It allows the club to prepare in expectation rather than just hope. It will be a draw to better players if we make Europe year on year. And of course it will earn more money.

Agree that it stretches our resources but it also helps increase those resources over time.

Ozyhibby
30-03-2019, 04:12 PM
We have to play killie twice though. There's your 6 points.

Also killie have won one of their last 10 games, I wouldn't be too sure of them winning their game in hand.

They have a few injuries just now and are missing Stewart big time.

MWHIBBIES
30-03-2019, 04:14 PM
There are definitely challenges that come with being in European competition.

However, I think that the way to combat many of these challenges is to consistently make Europe as opposed to once every few years.

It allows the club to prepare in expectation rather than just hope. It will be a draw to better players if we make Europe year on year. And of course it will earn more money.

Agree that it stretches our resources but it also helps increase those resources over time.
Yeah, you're absolutely spot on. I was probably wrong to say I'd rather we werent in it but it's a massive challenge on the depth on the squad and one we definitely failed with this season

lyonhibs
30-03-2019, 04:21 PM
Yeah, you're absolutely spot on. I was probably wrong to say I'd rather we werent in it but it's a massive challenge on the depth on the squad and one we definitely failed with this season

Except we won the most knockout European ties of my lifetime and are once again chapping on the door of the European places. Given our far from distant past, I'll take that as an outcome of a "definite" failure any day.

MWHIBBIES
30-03-2019, 04:34 PM
Except we won the most knockout European ties of my lifetime and are once again chapping on the door of the European places. Given our far from distant past, I'll take that as an outcome of a "definite" failure any day.
Everything you are saying is correct, we are where we are now because a new manager has come in, along with a few decent January signings, and given us a boost. Not because we planned well for Europe.

CropleyWasGod
30-03-2019, 04:39 PM
Everything you are saying is correct, we are where we are now because a new manager has come in, along with a few decent January signings, and given us a boost. Not because we planned well for Europe.

We may not have had those January signings without the money from Europe.

Keith_M
30-03-2019, 05:01 PM

You just have to bring money into every conversation. You must be a real laugh at your Social Soirées.

Guest: "Could you pass the salt, please?"

Crops: "Did you know that Salt mining in Western Austria was the basis of their very successful economy from the 16th century onwards."

"In fact, Salzburg was the centre of this economic boom, as evidenced by its name...."

...sound of doors slamming as bored guests go to pub

Ozyhibby
30-03-2019, 05:22 PM

Correct. Europe is a big part of the business plan Leeann has for Hibs.

CropleyWasGod
30-03-2019, 07:12 PM
You just have to bring money into every conversation. You must be a real laugh at your Social Soirées.

Guest: "Could you pass the salt, please?"

Crops: "Did you know that Salt mining in Western Austria was the basis of their very successful economy from the 16th century onwards."

"In fact, Salzburg was the centre of this economic boom, as evidenced by its name...."

...sound of doors slamming as bored guests go to pub

Bull****, of course.

I would never go to a party to which I had been invited.

erin go bragh
30-03-2019, 07:13 PM
Were 4pts of fourth . Beat Killie on Wednesday and were right in the mix for third . The real Huns will beat the diets on Wed . So we could still be above the tramps before Sat . It’s never nice to see they gunts winning but it keeps a top four finish well within our grasp.

jgl07
30-03-2019, 07:13 PM
I don't think Hibs, with the resources we currently have, can compete in Europe, along with the 3 domestic competitions, without players getting fatigued and injured.

If we are to have a decent run in Europe, which obviously we'd all love, we should chuck the league cup and just play kids, like all big English clubs do.

Absolute bull****. How many ‘top English Clubs’ play kids in the League Cup? The only one I saw this year was Liverpool. All the others played strong teams including Manchester City and Chelsea.

It tends to middle order Premier League sides who put out weak teams in the League Cup including Leicester City. Paradoxically it was their best (only?) chance of silverware this season.

truehibernian
30-03-2019, 07:14 PM
Correct. Europe is a big part of the business plan Leeann has for Hibs.

We may get an even bigger payday without kicking a ball in Europe when SJM goes to Leicester City :cb

MWHIBBIES
30-03-2019, 07:37 PM
Absolute bull****. How many ‘top English Clubs’ play kids in the League Cup? The only one I saw this year was Liverpool. All the others played strong teams including Manchester City and Chelsea.

It tends to middle order Premier League sides who put out weak teams in the League Cup including Leicester City. Paradoxically it was their best (only?) chance of silverware this season.

I could go through every team and the sides the played in the league cup this season but I really don't have to. Arsenal certainly played reserve teams in the early rounds of both cups. City played reserves or guys returning from injury.

You honestly believe Hibs can compete on 4 fronts with the same players every week? Stubbs tried it in 2016 and injury killed out league campaign. Rotation is a must. I'd love a great euro run but it will negatively impact our season unless we rest players in other games.

Keith_M
30-03-2019, 08:03 PM
Bull****, of course.

Well I definitely wouldn't invite you

:na na:

Eyrie
30-03-2019, 09:33 PM
Bull****, of course.

Paraphrasing Groucho Marx?

Eyrie
30-03-2019, 09:36 PM
Thought someone mentioned that if everyone in the top six gets the fixtures as you would expect Aberdeen would have 20 home fixtures and Hibs 18 with everyone else having 19. Easy solution is for Aberdeen to play a third fixture are Easter Road.

This only highlights the incompetence of those running our game. Aberdeen finished second and we finished fourth last season, so which of the two teams did the planners expect to miss out on the top six when they were respectively 24 and 18 points clear of the sixth placed stragglers, the team most likely to miss out?

CropleyWasGod
31-03-2019, 06:55 PM
Paraphrasing Groucho Marx?

...as well as pointing out that people see what they want to see 🙄

jgl07
31-03-2019, 07:37 PM
I could go through every team and the sides the played in the league cup this season but I really don't have to. Arsenal certainly played reserve teams in the early rounds of both cups. City played reserves or guys returning from injury.

You honestly believe Hibs can compete on 4 fronts with the same players every week? Stubbs tried it in 2016 and injury killed out league campaign. Rotation is a must. I'd love a great euro run but it will negatively impact our season unless we rest players in other games.
Rotation I agree with but that is not ‘playing the kids’. Of course City rotated when the were playing Oxford United and even against Burton in the semi-final. They didn’t make a very good job since the first leg was 9-0. That was a few days after rotating against Rotherham and winning 7-0.

Liverpool rotated rather too much against against Chelsea at home in the EFL leaving Salah, Firmino, etc on the bench and went out. They also put a very weak team out against Wolves away in the FA Cup. That was their choice as they were prioritising the Premiership and the CL. If they end up with no silverware this season they can only blame in on the above.

Arsenal (for once) put out strong enough teams to get to the QF in the EFL Cup where they lost to Spurs. Spurs lost in the SF to Chelsea. Most of the big six put out strong teams in the FA Cup.

I do not see your point about Hibs prioritising in that the Europa Cup is likely to be well out of the way before the knock-out rounds of the LC get going and ages before the SFA Cup even gets going. The issue with the two cups in 2016 will not really apply now given that the LC is done and dusted before the SFA Cup even kicks in.

hibbysam
31-03-2019, 08:14 PM

If we play in Europe we would have a maximum of 4 league cup games. If we don’t play in Europe we would have to play a maximum of 8 league cup games. So the same as 2 rounds in Europe, but with much less prize money from both this seasons finish and getting through two rounds in Europe.

On our current budget then we are hardly gonna win the league, so it’s about being solid in the league to qualify for Europe and winning a few ties to get our coefficient and prize money up, to progress year on year to go further.

Hibees1973
31-03-2019, 08:50 PM
Hibs have won a few tight games under Heckingbottom and all against the bottom 6.

The next two games will now tell how much we have progressed. It will be difficult. Clarke is a clever manager and Hearts at tiny always tough.

I would hope for four points out of these games but feel we will probably get two and remain unbeaten in the league under Heckingbottom.

Clear that Hearts will bend/flout the rules and play ‘big Uche’ against us. Seems strange that an impartial doctor is not appointed to diagnose potential concussion to ensure that the players welfare comes first. He is a handful and I have no doubt Potter will have him in their team to face us. Potter wants to win at all costs against us even being cited for abusive behaviour at an under-18 Hibs v Hearts game recently.