PDA

View Full Version : Mallan

beensaidbefore
29-03-2019, 09:57 PM
Great finish. Is this his first inside the box? Say what you want about his passing and positional sense, he has been a brilliant signing.

Does that goal beat Pat McGinlays record for goals in a year?

Lee Marvin
29-03-2019, 09:58 PM
Na he is rubbish. Loads of folk say so

cleanyman
29-03-2019, 09:58 PM
Can't cut it against top 6 teams

blackpoolhibs
29-03-2019, 09:59 PM
Na he is rubbish. Loads of folk say so

I wish folk like you wouldnt make things up, nobody said he was rubbish, they said he was pish. :greengrin

Keith_M
29-03-2019, 10:00 PM

Are you seriously still here?

Don't you get bored of your garbage chat?

nonshinyfinish
Great finish. Is this his first inside the box? Say what you want about his passing and positional sense, he has been a brilliant signing.

Scored against Elgin (a penalty) and St Mirren from inside the box. In fact he hardly ever scores from outside the box these days and so it's entirely deserved that the fans are on his back.

Marvellous
Absolutely beautiful goal. Reckon Mallan should spend more game time within shooting distance, we'd be a more dangerous team if he was picking up possession closer to the goals than he currently is.

leither17

You are the most negative person on here and that is saying something

Mr Grieves
29-03-2019, 10:04 PM
That was a very good goal tonight. Good touch and control to bring it down and get past the defender, and a nice finish

crash
29-03-2019, 10:05 PM
yet another goal and assist, also came close to scoring on more than one occasion. Did more than the rest of the team put together. well done stevie.

bingo70
29-03-2019, 10:07 PM
Stuart Lovell was spot on in his assessment of him after the game.

Got so much talent but if he’s going to move his game onto the next level needs to have the belief to show it more throughout matches.

Tobias Funke
29-03-2019, 10:07 PM

Do you and Steve20 have a wager on who can become the most miserable **** on .net?

wookie70
29-03-2019, 10:09 PM
Thought he was decent tonight and what a great goal. Goals win games and he is a layer that might frustrate but give me game winning and frustrating every day of the week.

brog
29-03-2019, 10:11 PM
Do you and Steve20 have a wager on who can become the most miserable **** on .net?

Don't think so. Cleanyman ran away with it long ago with Hermit doing his best to run him close!

Heisenberg
29-03-2019, 10:13 PM
12 goals and 10 assists this season. He’s pish apparently.

Just realised that didn’t include tonight. So it’s 13 goals.

brog
29-03-2019, 10:15 PM
Stevie Mallan is a superb player & a great guy in our dressing room. The crap that some people on here posted about him is beyond embarrassing.

GreenCastle
29-03-2019, 10:16 PM

Name the last midfielder to do that ?

Nope..

Something we have been missing for years.

You see him when he celebrated what it meant to him.

calumhibee1
29-03-2019, 10:17 PM

Is that it? I actually thought he was in 16 or so goals.

Hibeesmad
29-03-2019, 10:18 PM
He's only going to get better. Got a gut feeling he's going to score against them next week.

Power
29-03-2019, 10:18 PM
Fantastic touch and finish for that goal. If he gave us a bit more in midfield battle and drive we would have one outstanding player - Paul, Robbie and the team will be working with him. Only just turned 23 mind.

neil7908
29-03-2019, 10:20 PM
Name the last midfielder to do that ?

Nope..

Something we have been missing for years.

You'd be pleased with a striker getting those stats at this stage of the season. A midfielder though? Amazing.

The only thing I'd say is that I still think he needs to show a bit more consistency and improve other parts of his game. If he could do that he'll be worth millions.

NORTHERNHIBBY
If Mallan played to the full level of his ability for 90 minutes week in and week out, I don't think that he would be with us for much longer.

DTS
An excellent player for his age and his technique with a ball is outstanding. 41 games in a hibs shirt and he’s got 13 goals and 10 assists. Nah but he doesn’t contribute enough for some. One of the first names on the team sheet for me, every week. As to can’t cut it against top 6? I’d say his best game this season was against Celtic

Lee Marvin
29-03-2019, 10:22 PM
An excellent player for his age and his technique with a ball is outstanding. 41 games in a hibs shirt and he’s got 13 goals and 10 assists. Nah but he doesn’t contribute enough for some. One of the first names on the team sheet for me, every week. As to can’t cut it against top 6? I’d say his best game this season was against Celtic

Cup game against aberdeen for me. Was unreal for 120 mins

GreenCastle
29-03-2019, 10:28 PM
You'd be pleased with a striker getting those stats at this stage of the season. A midfielder though? Amazing.

The only thing I'd say is that I still think he needs to show a bit more consistency and improve other parts of his game. If he could do that he'll be worth millions.

Well that’s why he’s at Hibs as he’s missing certain parts of his game.
But he’s improving every game. If you added Mcginns drive and fight you would have a £35 million pound player.

But at Hibs level a goal scoring midfielder has been required for a while. Plus he’s deadly from freekicks and can score from outside box something we also have lacked in previous years.

Since452
29-03-2019, 10:28 PM
Player of the season for me

GreenCastle
29-03-2019, 10:30 PM
Cup game against aberdeen for me. Was unreal for 120 mins

Basically been involved in 23 goals in some way in 40 odd games.

Pretty impressive.

Vini1875
29-03-2019, 10:54 PM
I would've had him subbed 15 mins before he scored. Partly due to the fact that I know he is a very good player, but doesn't always show. Sometimes I'm glad I'm not the manager.

Since452
29-03-2019, 11:01 PM
Can't remember a Hibs midfielder with such a goals return. Pat McGinley 20 odd years ago?

CMurdoch
29-03-2019, 11:05 PM
It was a wonderful goal he scored tonight.
Great timed run, great first touch to take it by the defender and calculated precise finish.
The best goal he has scored this season :top marks

LaMotta
29-03-2019, 11:12 PM
He is a key player who contributes so much to the team. Those who claimed at ANY point he is a passenger for Hibs should stop watching football - they just dont get it.

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2019, 11:31 PM
Not been his biggest fan but have to admit he got stuck in tonight and I think the penny has finally dropped

Sublime finish for the second !

:not worth

Ringothedog
29-03-2019, 11:46 PM

😂

Greencore
29-03-2019, 11:47 PM
He's only good for free kicks....

Hahaha Stevie is the man. 💚

Shrekko
29-03-2019, 11:56 PM
The criticism of this player just turned 23 and in his first season at Hibs is actually nothing short of embarrassing.

13 goals and 10 assists is absolutely remarkable for a young midfielder yet seemingly some folk would have him ‘nowhere near the team’.

Sensational body of work and our player of the year in my opinion. Has he been perfect?- no. Can he improve?- yes, but he’ll not be here when he does.

The boy is obviously aware of his detractors going by his social media activity... he must be utterly bemused. It makes me cringe.

Smartie
30-03-2019, 12:33 AM
I've been as critical of him as anyone has been but that goal was sublime.

We can highlight his weaknesses all we like, he has attributes that other players would kill for and has the ability to turn 1 point into 3 - an ability that normally comes with a very hefty price tag.

tonyrougier123
30-03-2019, 12:51 AM
First season has been impressive.I agree with the ppl saying POTY,our two best players this season has to be mallan and slivka.and both have added to their game since hecky came in imo.midfield could be really strong nxt year with a couple of good additions.

Shrekko
30-03-2019, 01:01 AM
I've been as critical of him as anyone has been but that goal was sublime.

We can highlight his weaknesses all we like, he has attributes that other players would kill for and has the ability to turn 1 point into 3 - an ability that normally comes with a very hefty price tag.

Why do you think so many people are focussing on his supposed weaknesses though? It’s bizarre.

We’ve had guys like Dylan McGeough that were (rightly) almost universally loved and people rarely complained that he didn’t score or set up goals for instance. Why does Mallan attract so much flak? We’ve been crying out for a productive midfield player like him for years. Surely his wonderful attributes deserve more recognition? I’ve rarely seen a Scottish player with technique like his.

30-03-2019, 01:14 AM
Great goal but he’s had an inconsistent season

oldbutdim
30-03-2019, 01:17 AM

Loving your work.

:thumbsup:

Shrekko
30-03-2019, 01:18 AM
Great goal but he’s had an inconsistent season

He’s been involved in 23 goals from midfield already.

What would suit your demands for consistency? 40, 50, more?

Just waiting for someone to come on and break his stats down in an entirely negative way...

If Hibs fans are dissatisfied with a player like this, standards must be incredibly high.

tamig
30-03-2019, 01:22 AM

Aye. He was rubbish in that win against the league leaders.

tamig
30-03-2019, 01:25 AM
You are the most negative person on here and that is saying something

I also remember him stating the season was over after we went out the cup and we were doomed to a few remaining months of bottom 6 misery. His glass is always empty.

hfc rd
30-03-2019, 01:42 AM

Just waiting for someone to come on and break his stats down in an entirely negative way...

If Hibs fans are dissatisfied with a player like this, standards must be incredibly high.

It’s mad.

Yes he will have poor games from time to time but so does every other player. If he didn’t then he’d probably wouldn’t be here. His stats this season for goals and assists are simply fantastic. That’s what he was brought in to do in the first place - add goals and assists from midfield as we knew we were going to lose both McGeouch & McGinn and weren’t sure if Allan would be back this season.

30-03-2019, 01:45 AM

Yeah he was crap under Lennon as were a lot of players. Just saying he has been inconsistent don’t pish yerself over it.

kaimendhibs
30-03-2019, 02:18 AM
The criticism of this player just turned 23 and in his first season at Hibs is actually nothing short of embarrassing.

13 goals and 10 assists is absolutely remarkable for a young midfielder yet seemingly some folk would have him ‘nowhere near the team’.

Sensational body of work and our player of the year in my opinion. Has he been perfect?- no. Can he improve?- yes, but he’ll not be here when he does.

The boy is obviously aware of his detractors going by his social media activity... he must be utterly bemused. It makes me cringe.10/10

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

monktonharp
30-03-2019, 02:21 AM
loved the thought of him coming to Hibs, liked so much what he did when he first came in then he went a bit off track , being inconsistent and trying stuff that could have been better if made simple. That left me thinking, not as good a player as I first thought. Looking back and further into his contribution I was wrong. This guy still has the makings of a top class player. His second half performance last night was good and the goal was sublime. I like him again.:greengrin

makaveli1875
30-03-2019, 05:51 AM
We havnt had a midfielder that can hit double figures in the goal charts since Pat Mcginlay in the 90's FFS

Let's just enjoy the 30 yard screamers and give the guy a break, he's class.

ian cruise
30-03-2019, 06:55 AM

The boy is obviously aware of his detractors going by his social media activity... he must be utterly bemused. It makes me cringe.

I've always been a bit bemused why some are so negative towards him, I hadn't realised he's only 23 though, makes it even more confusing that folk aren't willing to cut him some slack. A year older than Lewis Allan and two years older than Oli Shaw.

bingo70
30-03-2019, 07:04 AM
There’s a fair amount of revisionism going on in this thread.

The criticism of Mallan has never been about his effectiveness, the problem has always been games pass him by until he can get involved in a set piece. It’s not American Football so we can’t just bring him on and off when it suits us. Last night he made a superb contribution from open play to score the second goal, people who have been criticising him this season have just wanted to see more of that.

First half last night he was completely anonymous after that chance in the first minute, second half he got much more involved and offered more of a threat, he deserves great credit for that but he needs to play like he did in the second half more often if he’s going to shake off the perception that he’s only good from set pieces.

Onion
30-03-2019, 07:22 AM
It was a wonderful goal he scored tonight.
Great timed run, great first touch to take it by the defender and calculated precise finish.
The best goal he has scored this season :top marks

It was a great goal from Stevenson's pass, to the three bits of skill by Mallen - bring the ball down on the full, sublime touch to take it past the defender and then the cool head to slip it under the keeper. Didn't think Mallan had that in his game.

jeffers
30-03-2019, 07:44 AM

The criticism of Mallan has never been about his effectiveness, the problem has always been games pass him by until he can get involved in a set piece. It’s not American Football so we can’t just bring him on and off when it suits us. Last night he made a superb contribution from open play to score the second goal, people who have been criticising him this season have just wanted to see more of that.

First half last night he was completely anonymous after that chance in the first minute, second half he got much more involved and offered more of a threat, he deserves great credit for that but he needs to play like he did in the second half more often if he’s going to shake off the perception that he’s only good from set pieces.

Great post and I totally agree.

Weegreenman
30-03-2019, 08:01 AM

:top marksAnonymous was the word I used to describe his contribution also after his effort early on. We need to figure out a way to get him higher up the pitch to make him much more effective.

brog
30-03-2019, 08:08 AM

Altwrnatively people can take the blinkers off & realise there's great skill & effort involved in regularly making space for yourself to get a shot away. Stevie M does that every single game. You make some good points but the supposed perception that Steve is only good from set pieces says more about our fans than it does about him.
A genuine question, when did he last score from a set piece?

bingo70
30-03-2019, 08:10 AM
:top marksAnonymous was the word I used to describe his contribution also after his effort early on. We need to figure out a way to get him higher up the pitch to make him much more effective.

When he’s higher up the pitch there’s less space for him to work with though.

FWIW I’m not sure what the answer is, it just seems like some games aren’t suited to him.

Ive wondered if maybe out on the left, similar to where Flo has been playing could be an option for him. Let him drift in to try and find wee bits of space he can be dangerous from but without the discipline or pace required to be a winger.

He’s such a dangerous guy to have on our team but I’m just not convinced the hustle and bustle of centre midfield brings out the best in him, we can get away with that in some games but there’ll be games it causes us a problem.

heretoday
30-03-2019, 08:20 AM
Motm for me for that goal. Excellent.

judas
30-03-2019, 08:23 AM

I’ve been hot and cold with Mallan. But you simply cannot argue with the stats. He’s been a midfield goal machine AND he is improving.

I’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve wanted hibs to find a midfielder with goals in him. But here he is.

BoomtownHibees
30-03-2019, 08:24 AM
It was a great goal from Stevenson's pass, to the three bits of skill by Mallen - bring the ball down on the full, sublime touch to take it past the defender and then the cool head to slip it under the keeper. Didn't think Mallan had that in his game.

Can we include Flo taking a quick throw in to Stevenson in the first place as well. It’s amazing what can be achieved when that happens

Weegreenman
30-03-2019, 08:30 AM
When he’s higher up the pitch there’s less space for him to work with though.

FWIW I’m not sure what the answer is, it just seems like some games aren’t suited to him.

Ive wondered if maybe out on the left, similar to where Flo has been playing could be an option for him. Let him drift in to try and find wee bits of space he can be dangerous from but without the discipline or pace required to be a winger.

He’s such a dangerous guy to have on our team but I’m just not convinced the hustle and bustle of centre midfield brings out the best in him, we can get away with that in some games but there’ll be games it causes us a problem.

Couldn’t agree more. Regards the hustle and bustle of midfield there’s a wee game next Saturday were that statement becomes very relevant. Do we drop him for Slivka and take away that goal threat? That’s exactly what I would do against them. I’d use him as a sub, maybe giving him the last twenty five minutes.

Hibbyradge
30-03-2019, 09:21 AM
Couldn’t agree more. Regards the hustle and bustle of midfield there’s a wee game next Saturday were that statement becomes very relevant. Do we drop him for Slivka and take away that goal threat? That’s exactly what I would do against them. I’d use him as a sub, maybe giving him the last twenty five minutes.

It's a game that's likely to be riddled with free kicks so I wouldn't leave our dead ball expert on the bench.

calumhibee1
30-03-2019, 09:24 AM

I find Mallan hard to work out. He has looked a lot better recently and more like the player we had at the start of the season but he did have a spell in the middle where he was very poor. I think he’s just a good player who has been inconsistent at times.

Statistically though he’s been the best attacking midfielder in the league by a mile I’d think. If this was Moneyball then he’d be one of the best players in the world :greengrin

B.H.F.C
30-03-2019, 09:27 AM

Based on last night it would be Omeonga dropping out for Slivka.

Next week won’t be too unlike last night and Mallan coped much better. Last time at Tynecastle, he was the only player in our team to pose any kind of threat to them.

brog
30-03-2019, 09:56 AM
Alternatively people can take the blinkers off & realise there's great skill & effort involved in regularly making space for yourself to get a shot away. Stevie M does that every single game. You make some good points but the supposed perception that Steve is only good from set pieces says more about our fans than it does about him.
A genuine question, when did he last score from a set piece?

To answer my own question, Stevie last scored from a free kick on Sept 15 versus Killie. He scored a pen against Elgin in cup. So he hasn't scored from a free kick for well over 6 months but there's a perception all he does is score from set pieces. He had 50% of our shots last night & 66% of our shots on target. His stats this season are astonishing & it's time he was given more credit for his contribution.

Shrekko
30-03-2019, 10:02 AM

Nah there’s not revisionism.... even on this thread he’s been described as ‘crap under Lennon’.... ‘crap’.

It’s ok for folk to pick his every game to pieces like we’re entitled to expect him to be Messi for 90 minutes ... because seemingly it is what fans do. But it’s not just that ... a lot of the comments have been along the lines of him not getting anywhere near a Hibs jersey. General comments about him that are just utterly utterly ridiculous.

Yeah some folk can argue that these moans are justified but a lot of it just seems to be one way traffic without focussing on his many positives.

I’m utterly embarrassed to read general comments about how supposedly awful he is when you look at what he’s achieved. Like I say- plenty examples of players with major flaws not getting this. To me it’s like saying that McGeough was a waste of a jersey because he couldn’t score in a brothel... you just didn’t read folk saying that.

Edit: your American football comment about him only being able to take set pieces is the laziest unjustified cliche that’s developed on Hibs.net in recent times. Nonsense.

Vault Boy
30-03-2019, 10:02 AM
Class player. I was so excited when we signed him, he's been even better than I expected.

O'Rourke3
30-03-2019, 10:35 AM
Class player. I was so excited when we signed him, he's been even better than I expected.

Agree.

Heisenberg
30-03-2019, 10:41 AM
Nah there’s not revisionism.... even on this thread he’s been described as ‘crap under Lennon’.... ‘crap’.

It’s ok for folk to pick his every game to pieces like we’re entitled to expect him to be Messi for 90 minutes ... because seemingly it is what fans do. But it’s not just that ... a lot of the comments have been along the lines of him not getting anywhere near a Hibs jersey. General comments about him that are just utterly utterly ridiculous.

Yeah some folk can argue that these moans are justified but a lot of it just seems to be one way traffic without focussing on his many positives.

I’m utterly embarrassed to read general comments about how supposedly awful he is when you look at what he’s achieved. Like I say- plenty examples of players with major flaws not getting this. To me it’s like saying that McGeough was a waste of a jersey because he couldn’t score in a brothel... you just didn’t read folk saying that.

Edit: your American football comment about him only being able to take set pieces is the laziest unjustified cliche that’s developed on Hibs.net in recent times. Nonsense.

Agree with every word here. Mallan has been a brilliant signing.

blackpoolhibs
30-03-2019, 10:45 AM
He can clearly do some great things with the ball, and as folk have said the stats don't lie.

Yet for me when he's letting folk run off him, wasting passes because he's let himself be pressured off the ball in hurtful positions and disapearing yes disapearing in my opinion, then he opens himself up for fair criticism.

Yet as soon as i mention how pish he'd been, up he pops and puts a good corner in that leads to the first goal, and he scores a sublime 2nd with some wonderful skill and finishing.

And thats not the first time i've said it and he's rammed those comments up my arse minutes later in the same game. :greengrin

I just want him more involved and doing what he's very good at much more regularly.

silverhibee
30-03-2019, 10:48 AM
Can't remember a Hibs midfielder with such a goals return. Pat McGinley 20 odd years ago?

Riordan under Yogi, Riordan had played LM while Stokes was up front.

No one will beat Whittakers record at Rangers, got double figures as a defender, think it was the same season.

bingo70
30-03-2019, 11:26 AM
He can clearly do some great things with the ball, and as folk have said the stats don't lie.

Yet for me when he's letting folk run off him, wasting passes because he's let himself be pressured off the ball in hurtful positions and disapearing yes disapearing in my opinion, then he opens himself up for fair criticism.

Yet as soon as i mention how pish he'd been, up he pops and puts a good corner in that leads to the first goal, and he scores a sublime 2nd with some wonderful skill and finishing.

And thats not the first time i've said it and he's rammed those comments up my arse minutes later in the same game. :greengrin

I just want him more involved and doing what he's very good at much more regularly.

I used to have a similar argument in my head about Cummings.

Never rated him, thought he was pretty poor tbh, I’d often mention it only for him to pop up and score. Then I’d look at his stats and wonder what the hell I could possibly have been moaning about.

blackpoolhibs
30-03-2019, 11:53 AM

Never rated him, thought he was pretty poor tbh, I’d often mention it only for him to pop up and score. Then I’d look at his stats and wonder what the hell I could possibly have been moaning about.

You do that because football to the average man is nothing to do with stats while you are immersed into the game, it's all about what you see with your own eyes every minute of every game.

Stats are what you look at and use after each game.

calumhibee1
30-03-2019, 11:57 AM

I loved JC. Thought he was a good wee player and couldn’t get the criticism he got. I’ve been critical of Mallan at times and as BH said, stats go out the window when you’re watching the game in real time.

Once the emotion of a game situation goes out the window though I reckon he’s been a very good signing who also has a lot of room for improvement.

Hibs90
30-03-2019, 12:01 PM
I thought he was mince in terms of his general play but he is growing on me and you can see he is learning.

I really rate when he is busting a gut and you can see the effort and determination from him to improve and do things well on the pitch, as his wee face goes all red :greengrin

brog
30-03-2019, 12:03 PM
Riordan under Yogi, Riordan had played LM while Stokes was up front.

No one will beat Whittakers record at Rangers, got double figures as a defender, think it was the same season.

Apart from Tavernier this season, albeit about 90% are pens!

Centre Hawf
30-03-2019, 12:15 PM
As other people have said Mallan is capable of moments of brilliance at times and his stats are fantastic reading. I think where people get frustrated, included myself, is when he isn't scoring he can contribute very little to a game. And thats okay once or twice, but in our poor run that ended with Lennon leaving he was poor for weeks on end.

Since Heckers has came in he's started to look like he's got a bit more dig about his play that isn't built on just having a shot, I'm not sure if he wants to impress him or if the new gaffer is just pushing the right buttons in general but he's certainly added more to his overall game and I'm delighted to see it and prove people, even myself, wrong about him.

I, including loads of others, sometimes forget that he's a young lad that has had a decent amount of first team football but as far as his career goes this is probably his biggest season yet and he's still learning during it. I hope he continues to finish the season strong for us and can build on it next season.

Unseen work
30-03-2019, 12:22 PM
When Mallan plays well we play well.

Last night he was ok and never done much up until about 65 minutes where he seemed to up the tempo of the game with his passing and a shot from distance.

Then he got an assist and a goal. Unlucky not to have scored 2 more.

Once he realises how good he can be and where he’s best ututlised he will be a great player for us.

For me he should model his game on someone like Kris Commons and what he done at celtic

CapitalGreen
30-03-2019, 12:29 PM

http://www.hibs.net/profile.php?do=addlist&userlist=ignore&u=8392&styleid=22

Thank me later

WestCoastHibby
30-03-2019, 01:14 PM
If we are comparing him to Pat McGinley from so long back it just proves the dirth in midfield on and off over the years.
Stats can be interpreted any way you like but for me Stevie can only get better and he's definitely contributed thus far