PDA

View Full Version : Paul Heckingbottom

stoneyburn hibs
29-03-2019, 09:40 PM
Take a bow! You are the man.

DarlingtonHibee
29-03-2019, 09:44 PM
This, calm and very organised.

Can't wait to see the plans for the summer!!!

Lee Marvin
29-03-2019, 09:44 PM
Goosebumps at the end with him and the fans - and I wasn't even there!!

Pretty Boy
29-03-2019, 09:45 PM
Walks the walk.

blaikie
29-03-2019, 09:46 PM
I was worried about appointing him at first and he looked a bit uneasy to begin with during interviews ...... how wrong was I!

Team seems to be working a lot harder and enjoying their play a lot more than they did under NL!

Pete
29-03-2019, 09:46 PM
All this and not one of these players are his.

Can’t wait until next season!

blackpoolhibs
29-03-2019, 09:47 PM
Terrific start since arriving. :top marks:thumbsup:

AgentDaleCooper
29-03-2019, 09:48 PM
Leanne can sure pick'em :aok:

Hibee Mac
29-03-2019, 09:53 PM
Can't wait to see what his team looks like next year with Scott Allan and a full transfer window/pre season to drill the side further.

Hibee Mac
29-03-2019, 09:53 PM
Leanne can sure pick'em :aok:

Agreed!

The Spaceman
29-03-2019, 09:54 PM
Brilliant appointment. Quietly goes about his business and players seem to enjoy playing under him. Has an eye for changing the game up when required. Unbelievable run with a threadbare squad. Very likeable chap :aok:

we are hibs
29-03-2019, 09:55 PM
Need to remember this isn't his group of players and we probably aren't playing the way he wants us to eventually but we are still getting results.

A really good manager can adapt and get a tune out of a difficult situation. Can't wait to see what we are like when he brings his own players in and implements his own ideas properly into the squad.

Keith_M
29-03-2019, 09:55 PM
To think of the stick that some people on here were giving the club for taking the time to replace Lennon.

I'm glad they didn't heed some people's advice and rush into an appointment.

The 90+2
29-03-2019, 09:56 PM
Such man love for our HC.

He’s new, doesn’t give a **** about the team and the league, he’s so clued up and he gets us.

hibsbollah
29-03-2019, 09:58 PM
Some discussion about is this the best league start for any manager in club history...

Can any club historian/statto advise?

Golden Bear
29-03-2019, 09:58 PM
To think of the stick that some people on here were giving the club for taking the time to replace Lennon.

I'm glad they didn't heed some people's advice and rush into an appointment.

Yip. the Board got it right yet again. 😎

Northernhibee
29-03-2019, 10:00 PM
Brilliant. Top drawer.

Onceinawhile
29-03-2019, 10:02 PM
He's the man to stop 9 in a row.

Mr Grieves
29-03-2019, 10:07 PM
Great start with a threadbare squad, he's done well

wookie70
29-03-2019, 10:11 PM
Will the Heck get the "winner" title or is that title just about talking the talk.

BullsCloseHibs
29-03-2019, 10:12 PM
The man is already a Green God. I love this guy. What a breath of fresh air he is!

BullsCloseHibs
29-03-2019, 10:12 PM
He's the man to stop 9 in a row.

9 what?

Todi114
29-03-2019, 10:14 PM
Neil who ?

calumhibee1
29-03-2019, 10:14 PM
A winner.

Outstanding start under very difficult circumstances considering what had went on before he got here. What a guy.

Hibeesmad
29-03-2019, 10:24 PM
Said it once and i'll say it again- we dodged a bullet with Appleton. Really happy with Hecky. His reaction at the end telling all the players to give our support a good thank you is the kind of reaction us fans love to see. I'd love to see him give it the big one not if but when we beat that lot next saturday.

:flag::flag:

superfurryhibby
29-03-2019, 10:26 PM
He’s restored order and you have to say, what an appointment by Dempster.

Since452
29-03-2019, 10:27 PM
Is Appleton managing Barcelona yet?

bingo70
29-03-2019, 10:29 PM
Is Appleton managing Barcelona yet?

Think he’s still trying to negotiate the terms of his next sacking.

SquashedFrogg
29-03-2019, 10:29 PM

Brilliant 👍

Swedish hibee
29-03-2019, 10:31 PM
Well done Sir

crash
29-03-2019, 10:39 PM
A good start, but OTT reaction as usual. Fixture list has been kind for Paul up to this point, we haven't beat anybody you wouldn't expect us to beat with our squad.
The test matches start from now.

Hibeesmad
29-03-2019, 10:40 PM
Let's also remember that Bogdan, Porteous, Whittaker, Boyle, Gauld and Agyepong have also all been out for the majority of his spell in charge.

Hibbyradge
29-03-2019, 10:42 PM

Great line. :thumbsup:

calumhibee1
29-03-2019, 10:43 PM
A good start, but OTT reaction as usual. Fixture list has been kind for Paul up to this point, we haven't beat anybody you wouldn't expect us to beat with our squad.

Nonsense. We’ve barely had 11 senior players available for nearly every game he’s been in charge yet he’s had what is potentially the best start to a Hibs managers career ever after taking over from an absolute **** show.

Heisenberg
29-03-2019, 10:45 PM

Away to Livi and St Johnstone are games that we dropped points in earlier in the season. Since he’s come in we’ve beaten them both while also easily dispatching of Hamilton and Dundee.

16 out of 18 points is more than just “a good start”, especially considering the mess he inherited. Feel like some folk just don’t want to give him the credit he deserves.

ED Hibee
29-03-2019, 10:46 PM

These are exactly the types of fixture I would be expecting us to struggle in. He has ground out results or found ways to win in a number of fixtures a Hibs team of the past would have drawn or more likely lost. Hibs have always been capable of pulling off a big result against Celtic or Rangers but often struggle in games they are expected to do better in.

Marvellous
29-03-2019, 10:47 PM
Nonsense. We’ve barely had 11 senior players available for nearly every game he’s been in charge yet he’s had what is potentially the best start to a Hibs managers career ever after taking over from an absolute **** show.

:faf:

SMAXXA

So we have to discount half the teams in the country to judge us against 3/4 don’t talk ***** he deserves massive credit as if he lost these games he would be getting slaughtered. Deserves all the credit

Hibeesmad

St Johnstone away somewhere we haven't won since Pat Fenlon.
Drawing at home against the second best team in the country, coming back from a goal down.
Beating Livingston away who have the best home record outside the Old Firm and had only conceded 11 home goals prior to tonight's game.
Beating a Motherwell team who went into our game winning 6 of their previous 8 games which included a draw away to Killie and a loss away to Celtic, one of those wins was also against us.
Hamilton was always a game we should be winning and we did so in his first match.

Do we expect ourselves to be winning these games, of course we do. But in reality those fixtures weren't as kind as you may suggest. Brilliant start to his career at Hibernian.

Since452
29-03-2019, 10:48 PM
Is that guy still singing "one Neil Lennon" at games or is he rocking in a dark room somewhere?

calumhibee1
29-03-2019, 10:49 PM

Did he not? :confused:

Horrendous run of form, a manager getting suspended rather than just a run of the mill sacking, our best player had just tore up his contract and left, our outstanding young centre half just got ruled out for the season, PH coming in after the window had closed so not getting the opportunity to sign anybody.. is that not a bit of a disaster situation?

greenlex
29-03-2019, 10:49 PM
My only criticism is that he needs to tell us how he feels at the wheel.

Brightside
29-03-2019, 10:50 PM
Oh the Lennon fans will be up in arms. Harmony is the greatest thing a manager can bring at this level.

Brunswickbill
29-03-2019, 10:52 PM
Petrie!!!!!!

greenlex
29-03-2019, 10:52 PM
Oh the Lennon fans will be up in arms. Harmony is the greatest thing a manager can bring at this level.
Doesn’t look like he uses hair spray to me.:confused:

Hibbyradge
29-03-2019, 10:53 PM

I agree with you. I'm pleased we've won the games we should have won, something we had struggled/failed to do until January.

Achieving the top 6 is commendable, although I had been arguing that we'd have done that under Lennon, but the real test is from now till the end of the season.

wookie70
29-03-2019, 10:53 PM
Let's also remember that Bogdan, Porteous, Whittaker, Boyle, Gauld and Agyepong have also all been out for the majority of his spell in charge. And our best player, Efe, had just left when Heck arrived

Hibeesmad
29-03-2019, 10:57 PM
And our best player, Efe, had just left when Heck arrived

Absolutely. Miss that slick b*****d

HFC93
29-03-2019, 10:57 PM
The Jambos 'Heckingbottomsix' nickname hasn't aged well.

Sir David Gray
29-03-2019, 11:00 PM

It's been kind from the point of view of the only current top 6 side we have faced so far in the league since Heckingbottom took charge is Sevco. We will face a tough test on Wednesday against Kilmarnock and Hearts at Tynecastle is never an easy fixture for us.

However that's now 16 points from our last 6 matches since Heckingbottom took over. As a comparison, we had only picked up 18 points from our previous 18 games, prior to him taking charge.

Marvellous
29-03-2019, 11:02 PM
Horrendous run of form, a manager getting suspended rather than just a run of the mill sacking, our best player had just tore up his contract and left, our outstanding young centre half just got ruled out for the season, PH coming in after the window had closed so not getting the opportunity to sign anybody.. is that not a bit of a disaster situation?

Our overall form under Lennon was very good and the squad tonight was Lennon's squad. We were in a very poor run of form and it may well have been a good time for change but let's not pretend Heckingbottom inherited a disaster. We've got a solid structure in place and a talented squad. Glad it's going well, there's no need to resort to your usual hyperbole tonight :aok:

Hibbyradge
29-03-2019, 11:03 PM
However that's now 16 points from our last 6 matches since Heckingbottom took over. As a comparison, we had only picked up 18 points from our previous 18 games, prior to him taking charge.

Impressive stats comparison.

wallpaperman
29-03-2019, 11:04 PM
The Jambos 'Heckingbottomsix' nickname hasn't aged well.

Yes, a few of the more sane Jambos have acknowledged that.

Loved the way he made sure the players all came over to the fans, he seemed almost stunned by the level of support.

hfc rd
29-03-2019, 11:09 PM
It’s remarkable what he’s achieved with us thus far.

Also his reaction at FT was fantastic to see. Coming over to applaud the fans, not just one small section but walking right across the east stand and ensuring the players didn’t walk off the pitch until they had done the exact same lap of honour.

GGTTH

calumhibee1
29-03-2019, 11:14 PM
Our overall form under Lennon was very good and the squad tonight was Lennon's squad. We were in a very poor run of form and it may well have been a good time for change but let's not pretend Heckingbottom inherited a disaster. We've got a solid structure in place and a talented squad. Glad it's going well, there's no need to resort to your usual hyperbole tonight :aok:

We’ll agree to disagree. To me taking over a club who have went over a third of the season on a shocking run of form, just suspended their previous manager, lost their POTY, lost probably the 2nd placed POTY to injury for the season and also missed getting a chance at the transfer window is a bit of a disaster situation and it doesn’t get a lot worse, at least not at a club like Hibs. There won’t be many managers who have taken over in the face of so much turmoil.

PH has done an exceptional job.

wookie70
29-03-2019, 11:16 PM
Looking at Lennon's record in the top league with us he never had as good a run over six games as the Heck has. His best was 14 points in any 6 consecutive games.

Loopz
29-03-2019, 11:20 PM
Probably for the 1st time ever I’ve sent a GIRFUY to my ***** acquaintances. Well done Hibs, bring on the game at Tinycastle.

Criswell
29-03-2019, 11:59 PM
He has certainly got a reaction from the players that Lennon struggled to get throughout his time this season. 16 points out of 18; what's not to like? I'm impressed with him and feeling more optimistic about things. GGTTH!

CMurdoch
30-03-2019, 12:02 AM
Lennon had totally lost the plot and confused and angered the players and fans.
The new manager has kept it simple, got the players back onside and working hard as a team again.
He is playing players in their correct positions and selecting the right players.
As a result we have beaten all the teams who have worse players than us.
The new manager has quietly got on with the business of being Hibs manager rather than being the show itself.
Obviously it's not as easy as all that but it felt like Lennon was on a course of team destruction at times.

Beating all the bottom 6 teams in the 3rd round of fixtures has transformed our season and now see's us back in the race for 3rd.
However, it is going to get a lot tougher from now on with 5 difficult matches against good teams plus 2 derbies.
We will know a lot more about our manager after these 7 matches have been played.
Game on for PH from Wednesday night.

If we can take another 15 points from our 7 matches we could finish 3rd.
6 from Hearts, 6 from Kilmarnock and 3 from Aberdeen.
A tough ask.

Best case scenario tomorrow, Hearts and Aberdeen draw their match and Hamilton win or draw against Kilmarnock.
That will see us in 5th on goal difference from Hearts and 3 or 4 points behind Kilmarnock going into Wednesday's match.

SquashedFrogg
30-03-2019, 12:10 AM

So was our form very good, or poor under Lennon? I'm confused.

Borderhibbie76
30-03-2019, 12:24 AM
I agree with you. I'm pleased we've won the games we should have won, something we had struggled/failed to do until January.

Achieving the top 6 is commendable, although I had been arguing that we'd have done that under Lennon, but the real test is from now till the end of the season.Your dreaming if u think we were getting top 6 under Lennon...we were brutal and hed lost the plot.

Great start from Hecky and hes done it with an absolutely threadbare squad of players

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Future17
30-03-2019, 12:27 AM
Our overall form under Lennon was very good

What do you mean by this?

pacoluna
30-03-2019, 12:35 AM
The irony is hecky won't be getting the credit he fully deserves until posters start praising him without having to bring Lennon's name up, let the obsession go.

He deserves more respect than that given the start he has made.

Diclonius
30-03-2019, 12:37 AM
He's done exceptionally well. Admittedly our fixture list hasn't been the most taxing, but Lennon couldn't beat these teams earlier in the season.

Two massive games ahead. If he can get a win v Kilmarnock then we really have a shot at Europe - amazing as that sounds. If he wins the derby, well, I'll be the first to donate for the statue.

vuefrom1875
30-03-2019, 12:41 AM
It’s remarkable what he’s achieved with us thus far.

Also his reaction at FT was fantastic to see. Coming over to applaud the fans, not just one small section but walking right across the east stand and ensuring the players didn’t walk off the pitch until they had done the exact same lap of honour.

GGTTH
He's a Yorkshire lad and takes no prima donas ...enjoy him just now....he'll go on to better things.

Hibbyradge
30-03-2019, 01:01 AM
The irony is hecky won't be getting the credit he fully deserves until posters start praising him without having to bring Lennon's name up, let the obsession go.

People are understandably comparing our current manager's results against supposedly easier to beat teams to our previous manager's record against them. Particularly as some are suggesting that it's not really all that laudable because we've not been tested properly yet.

In what way is that an "obsession"? It's actually giving Heckingbottom praise for doing what NL couldn't.

The fact that you can't tolerate the slightest criticism aimed at our previous manager suggests that it's you that's obsessed.

tamig
30-03-2019, 01:20 AM
Your dreaming if u think we were getting top 6 under Lennon...we were brutal and hed lost the plot.

Great start from Hecky and hes done it with an absolutely threadbare squad of players

Was just going to say the same. We were in freefall under NL and it was very clear it was not a happy camp. What evidence HR has to think he was going to turn it around I can’t even imagine. NL had lost it with us.

Onceinawhile
30-03-2019, 06:59 AM
9 what?

I'm saying celtic will win the league this year to get 8 in a row, but we'll win it next year to stop 9 in a row.

green day
30-03-2019, 07:21 AM
Was just going to say the same. We were in freefall under NL and it was very clear it was not a happy camp. What evidence HR has to think he was going to turn it around I can’t even imagine. NL had lost it with us.

Correct - some stats;

Heckinbotham has secured 16 points in his first 6 league matches - Hamilton, Dundee, St J, Huns, Well, Livi

In these matches, we have scored 13 goals and are top of the form table, above Celtc

Lennon secured 6 points in his last 6 league matches - Celtc, Huns,Livi, Huns, Hearts, Well.

Although its unarguable that Lennons final 6 were tougher, and included a win v Celtc, there was also a home draw to Livi, home loss to Hearts, and a grand total of 4 goals scored in that period.

Whats quite striking when you look at the stats is how much better our GD is in this current run. Amazing what a settled team and a wee bit of organisation brings....................

Lennon was a good manager, but he is now back where he always wanted to be and is history now.

JimBHibees
30-03-2019, 08:00 AM
It's been kind from the point of view of the only current top 6 side we have faced so far in the league since Heckingbottom took charge is Sevco. We will face a tough test on Wednesday against Kilmarnock and Hearts at Tynecastle is never an easy fixture for us.

interesting and clearly outlines how very unlikely Lennon would have got us in top 6 based on that.

theonlywayisup
30-03-2019, 08:16 AM
FFS can we not have a thread praising Heck without people constantly having a go at the previous manager.

Heck has done extremely well since he's come in. I've been very impressed with his ability to read the game. And to get 16 points out of 18 is amazing, beyond anyone's expectations.

Weegreenman
30-03-2019, 08:22 AM
He gets :top marksfrom me. I think we have found ourselves a wee gem.,:flag:Leeann has played a blinder. Neil who???

calumhibee1
30-03-2019, 08:44 AM
FFS can we not have a thread praising Heck without people constantly having a go at the previous manager.

Heck has done extremely well since he's come in. I've been very impressed with his ability to read the game. And to get 16 points out of 18 is amazing, beyond anyone's expectations.

It’s a relevant point. PH had taken over a team in freefall which makes it all the more remarkable the start he’s had. He deserves praise for turning things around so dramatically. Are we not allowed to say that in fear of upsetting the folk that haven’t gotten over NL leaving yet? :confused:

Since452
30-03-2019, 08:45 AM
Frustrates me how or previous manager couldn't get this out the same group of players. Something was obviously very wrong. Efe and Jamie Mac wanted out and Flo's confidence ripped to shreds. Incredible transformation.

Borderhibbie76
30-03-2019, 08:55 AM
Correct - some stats;

Heckinbotham has secured 16 points in his first 6 league matches - Hamilton, Dundee, St J, Huns, Well, Livi

In these matches, we have scored 13 goals and are top of the form table, above Celtc

Lennon secured 6 points in his last 6 league matches - Celtc, Huns,Livi, Huns, Hearts, Well.

Although its unarguable that Lennons final 6 were tougher, and included a win v Celtc, there was also a home draw to Livi, home loss to Hearts, and a grand total of 4 goals scored in that period.

Whats quite striking when you look at the stats is how much better our GD is in this current run. Amazing what a settled team and a wee bit of organisation brings....................

Lennon was a good manager, but he is now back where he always wanted to be and is history now.Perfect summary for me...onwards and upwards for the Hibees. Lennon is irrelevant now as far as I'm concerned...but agreed there is no way we were getting top 6 had he remained here

pacoluna
30-03-2019, 08:58 AM
It’s a relevant point. PH had taken over a team in freefall which makes it all the more remarkable the start he’s had. He deserves praise for turning things around so dramatically. Are we not allowed to say that in fear of upsetting the folk that haven’t gotten over NL leaving yet? :confused:

:kettle:

calumhibee1
30-03-2019, 09:00 AM

He’s absolutely getting the credit he deserves. And to get the credit he deserves it needs to be acknowledged that he took over a team in free fall.

There’s a big difference between taking over a team on a ***** run over a period of more than a third of a season, just lost their POTY and YPOTY and everything else that PH had to contend with to taking over a team who have just lost their manager due to him doing well. Acknowledging what PH took over from is part of giving him the credit he deserves by giving a bit of context to his incredible start.

calumhibee1
30-03-2019, 09:02 AM
:kettle:

Good luck on Sunday, hope your guy gets a positive result :aok:

pacoluna

People are understandably comparing our current manager's results against supposedly easier to beat teams to our previous manager's record against them. Particularly as some are suggesting that it's not really all that laudable because we've not been tested properly yet.

In what way is that an "obsession"? It's actually giving Heckingbottom praise for doing what NL couldn't.

The fact that you can't tolerate the slightest criticism aimed at our previous manager suggests that it's you that's obsessed.

Mate give it a rest you say the same thing over and over to me. My post clearly is too praise the positive start hecky has made, it's got sweat fa do with not tolerating criticism of NL.

B.H.F.C
Seen more than enough to feel positive about next season once he’s been able to get some of his own players in.

Also, I’m pretty sure he won’t go to Tynecastle next week and set up in a really defensive manner, forget about the football and play for a point. We might not win, but he’ll set us up to at least try.

pacoluna
30-03-2019, 09:09 AM
Good luck on Sunday, hope your guy gets a positive result :aok:

My 3 year nephew can debate better than that.

calumhibee1
30-03-2019, 09:10 AM

I’m not going to get drawn into some sort of arguement with you. If you think that putting context to what PH inherited is having a go at NL then it’s probably because you realise yourself we were a bit of a mess.

That context is more than relevant to the praise that PH is getting and people are quite rightly mentioning it when saying how good a job he’s done.

Just a shame we had no chance of replacing NL with someone as good as he was the best manager we could ever dream of getting. Imagine where we’d be if we could have :rolleyes:

jeffers
30-03-2019, 09:12 AM
I think he's done remarkably well and while it's early days LD & GC deserve great praise for getting it right again with the appointment. Amazing what the same group of players can achieve when then have a coach who gives them clear instructions, praises them rather than constantly berates them and plays a settled team.

It's not often I agree with Stephen Craigan, but I thought he was right when he said we should be excited for next season when PH gets to bring in his own players.

When Appleton was favourite I was excited at the prospect of him being appointed, I'm now absoloutely delighted we got PH instead.

pacoluna
30-03-2019, 09:13 AM
I’m not going to get drawn into some sort of arguement with you. If you think that putting context to what PH inherited is having a go at NL then it’s probably because you realise yourself we were a bit of a mess.

That context is more than relevant to the praise that PH is getting and people are quite rightly mentioning it when saying how good a job he’s done.

I'm sure hecky would become bored quite quickly if every time he gets praised neil lennons name is mentioned.

Keith_M
30-03-2019, 09:14 AM
Anyway........

CockneyRebel
30-03-2019, 09:14 AM

Then you should let him post for you.

calumhibee1
30-03-2019, 09:16 AM
I'm sure hecky would become bored quite quickly if every time he gets praised neil lennons name is mentioned.

And eventually it’ll become less relevant and it’ll stop - probably next season when he has signed his own players. But as it stands it is relevant seeing as he’s only new in the job and is using what’s left of a squad he inherited from somebody else.

You do realise people made the same comparisons between AS and NL when NL took over and they done the same when AS took over etc?

calumhibee1
30-03-2019, 09:17 AM
Then you should let him post for you.

:greengrin

Brightside
30-03-2019, 09:26 AM
Lennon leaving was the best thing that happened to hibs this season. Forget the results but it’s about Hibs now not Neil Lennon.

WhileTheChief..
30-03-2019, 09:27 AM
:top marks

He’s always got to get a dig about Lennon in, it’s tedious.

Great start by Heckingbottom made possible by the solid foundations he inherited, built by Lennon, would be a fairer description.

Us “Lennon fans” have moved on, time for the “Lennon haters” to do likewise!

calumhibee1
30-03-2019, 09:30 AM

Great start by Heckingbottom made possible by the solid foundations he inherited, built by Lennon, would be a fairer description.

I was very vocal about wanting NL gone. If you go through my posts you’ll find I rarely even mention him now that he’s left unless it’s relevant to the discussion. I didn’t even mention him specifically in the post that was quoted, as I pointed out I was talking about the general situation at the club - the run we were on, the players we’d lost and of course NL was a part of that. But don’t let facts get in the way of things.

pacoluna

:agree:

Their lost in their own irony, their default position is " enjoy the game on Sunday" . Really is pathetic.

Hibbyradge

Evidence? In a football discussion? Which one of us is dreaming now? :greengrin

I defended NL right till the end and my opinion was that he'd get us back on track. We can't know if I'm right or wrong, but if you think that the Heck is solely responsible for our resurgence, then I hope you're right and we've recruited a special coach.

I like the guy and I'm delighted with his results so far, but for some reason, I'm not entirely convinced yet. I can't explain my reasons.

Maybe it's the jacket, tie and school jumper he wears ... :wink:

neil7908
30-03-2019, 09:43 AM
Lennon leaving was the best thing that happened to hibs this season. Forget the results but it’s about Hibs now not Neil Lennon.

Totally agree. I had a lot of time for Lennon but it had been clear for a while that things weren't working out.

In the end both he and us are in a better position. Its good to have a bit of positivity back around the club.

Hibbyradge
30-03-2019, 09:46 AM
it's got sweat fa do with not tolerating criticism of NL.

Eh?

You directly criticised people for making comparisons between Paul Heckingbottom and Neil Lennon.

You said that they were obsessed.

Someone posted that we got 18 points from 18 games under Lennon this season compared to 16 from 6 since the Heck arrived.

Should they not have pointed that out?

calumhibee1
30-03-2019, 09:53 AM
Eh?

You directly criticised people for making comparisons between Paul Heckingbottom and Neil Lennon.

Someone posted that we got 18 points from 18 games during Lennon this season compared to 16 from 6 since the Heck arrived.

Exactly. The comparison shows how good a job PH is doing. God knows why it shouldn’t be used.

Wonder if they realise that comparisons are used between OGS and Mourinho? Stubbs and Lennon? (They’ll no doubt have used this one themselves to point out how well NL was doing at some point) McNulty and Maclaren? Ronaldo and Messi? And probably near enough everyone else involved in football at some point.

But for some reason any form of comparison which doesn’t look good for NL is off limits and should be left alone :confused:

Northernhibee
30-03-2019, 09:57 AM
The same suspects from previous threads are back to ruin another thread. They could go and support Celtic and back their man all they want now he’s elsewhere.

Marvellous
30-03-2019, 10:01 AM
What do you mean by this?

If you were to take a wild guess what I meant what do you think it might mean? Perhaps 'form' wasn't the best choice of word. Overall under Lennon we were very good. Don't want to drag this away from the topic of the thread though. Heckingbottom has done incredibly well and I am very much looking forward to seeing how we develop under him.

hfc-1875
30-03-2019, 10:12 AM
I’m a bit late but what’s the words to the song..

pacoluna
30-03-2019, 10:12 AM
The same suspects from previous threads are back to ruin another thread. They could go and support Celtic and back their man all they want now he’s elsewhere.

:blah::blah::blah::blah::yawn:

BoomtownHibees
30-03-2019, 10:16 AM

I see you eventually let your nephew post for you

tamig
30-03-2019, 10:16 AM
And eventually it’ll become less relevant and it’ll stop - probably next season when he has signed his own players. But as it stands it is relevant seeing as he’s only new in the job and is using what’s left of a squad he inherited from somebody else.

You do realise people made the same comparisons between AS and NL when NL took over and they done the same when AS took over etc?
It always happens. Anyone suggesting it’s poor form comparing different managers records with the same personnel to hand is a wee bit out of touch. Its the most obvious comparison of all to make.

pacoluna
30-03-2019, 10:20 AM
I see you eventually let your nephew post for you

You deserve a special yawn too

:yawn:

BoomtownHibees
30-03-2019, 10:21 AM
You deserve a special yawn too

:yawn:

Yyyaaaassss. Priveleged

tamig
30-03-2019, 10:22 AM

I defended NL right till the end and my opinion was that he'd get us back on track. We can't know if I'm right or wrong, but if you think that the Heck is solely responsible for our resurgence, then I hope you're right and we've recruited a special coach.

I like the guy and I'm delighted with his results so far, but for some reason, I'm not entirely convinced yet. I can't explain my reasons.

Ok. What signs did you see he could turn it around? I could see nothing other than a one way downward spiral. The whole situation became poisonous. However, if that’s the foundations for a miraculous turnaround, I admire your outstanding positivity.

DaveF
30-03-2019, 10:31 AM

I know you don't see us as often now that you are a little Englander :-) but trust me, as a confirmed negative git, this hibs team were 100% bottom 6 under Lennon.

Heck has done the simple things and done them well. We look like a team and a happy one at that. We are competing for wverything and are organised and I'm really optimistic for he season coming up. Of course these next round of fixtures will be much tougher and we may well take a few defeats but he's a gòod manager and I'm convinced we will do well under him.

Smartie
30-03-2019, 10:32 AM
Eh?

Someone posted that we got 18 points from 18 games under Lennon this season compared to 16 from 6 since the Heck arrived.

We're on a great run and I think Heck does deserve credit but I agree that it isn't anything like as black and white as we've now got a better manager in to replace a poorer one.

Our January transfer window business was excellent and the players brought in have added a lot.

If Lennon had had McNulty, a fit Omeonga and Milligan in the shape he returned from the Asia Cup to choose from then he'd have been beating the teams that Heck is beating.

Not wanting to take away from Heck's achievements though, as our settled side, contented looking squad, happy Flo and proper use of David Gray are also significant and all down to him.

I still question though how our recruitment team can find players to put together championship winning form in the second half of the season and underprepared squads for the start of the season.

Hibbyradge
30-03-2019, 10:33 AM
Ok. What signs did you see he could turn it around? I could see nothing other than a one way downward spiral. The whole situation became poisonous. However, if that’s the foundations for a miraculous turnaround, I admire your outstanding positivity.

I don't think there's much point in going back in time to discuss a hypothetical situation, but my opinion was, that once our business in the January transfer window was concluded, our form and results would improve. Just as they have now.

Maybe it was more hope than logic, but there were a lot of people who held a similar view to me, and it was a small minority that were calling for Lennon to go.

It's no big deal. I may have been right, I may have been wrong. I wasn't angry when he left and I wasn't delighted.

Hibbyradge
30-03-2019, 10:38 AM
We're on a great run and I think Heck does deserve credit but I agree that it isn't anything like as black and white as we've now got a better manager in to replace a poorer one.

Our January transfer window business was excellent and the players brought in have added a lot.

If Lennon had had McNulty, a fit Omeonga and Milligan in the shape he returned from the Asia Cup to choose from then he'd have been beating the teams that Heck is beating.

Not wanting to take away from Heck's achievements though, as our settled side, contented looking squad, happy Flo and proper use of David Gray are also significant and all down to him.

I still question though how our recruitment team can find players to put together championship winning form in the second half of the season and underprepared squads for the start of the season.

I was criticised for saying this ad nauseam before Lennon went, but our injuries were a huge factor in our poor results.

The January recruitment went a long way to remedying that situation.

tamig
30-03-2019, 10:46 AM
I don't think there's much point in going back in time to discuss a hypothetical situation, but my opinion was, that once our business in the January transfer window was concluded, our form and results would improve. Just as they have now.

Maybe it was more hope than logic, but there were a lot of people who held a similar view to me, and it was a small minority that were calling for Lennon to go.

It's no big deal. I may have been right, I may have been wrong. I wasn't angry when he left and I wasn't delighted.
Thats fair enough and its all about opinions. I loved NL and what he did for us but his time had come. He was beyond the end of the road imo. I’m just glad that the new man is getting a lot more out of the team now. Onwards and upwards as they say.

Northernhibee
30-03-2019, 10:53 AM
You know something? I was going to let it slip what with you acting like a five year old but after the downright abuse taken for pointing out that football under Lennon this season was abysmal was quite frankly chronic. If you’re that keen on him, go and support Celtic. You should be ecstatic that a new manager is bringing new results and here you go picking stupid arguments, again.

I realise that I’ve now given you the attention that you are clearly so desperately lacking in your life, you can now act like a grown up again, sorted.

rotherhamrob
30-03-2019, 10:53 AM
I'm just glad he's had the start he has because if he hadn't this place would have been unbearable.

pacoluna
30-03-2019, 11:02 AM
You know something? I was going to let it slip what with you acting like a five year old but after the downright abuse taken for pointing out that football under Lennon this season was abysmal was quite frankly chronic. If you’re that keen on him, go and support Celtic. You should be ecstatic that a new manager is bringing new results and here you go picking stupid arguments, again.

I realise that I’ve now given you the attention that you are clearly so desperately lacking in your life, you can now act like a grown up again, sorted.

Seriously, get a grip you think you can try and insult me and others by saying we should go to watch Celtic then take offence when i reply with a yawn.

Noone has the rite to be offended,

I clearly have praised heckingbottom and gave my opinion that he shouldn't be defined by the pros and cons of the previous manager... As I think he deserves more respect.

Posters like to write ff their own narrative and completely try to twist my posts, either that or they woefully misinterpret them.fff

Hibbyradge
30-03-2019, 11:04 AM
Seriously, get a grip you think you can ry and insult me and others by saying we should go to watch Celtic then take offence when i reply with a yawn.

I clearly have praised heckingbottom and gave my opinion that he shouldn't be defined by the pros and cons of the previous manager... As I think he deserves more respect.

Posters like to rite their own narrative and completely try to twist my posts, either that or they woefully misinterpret them.

You've been jumping on anyone who dared to criticise Neil Lennon for literally months.

Now you're jumping on folk for saying how much better PH is doing than him. You said that they were obsessed.

How is that supposed to be interpreted?

hibee316
30-03-2019, 11:09 AM
Seriously, get a grip you think you can try and insult me and others by saying we should go to watch Celtic then take offence when i reply with a yawn.

Posters like to rite their own narrative and completely try to twist my posts, either that or they woefully misinterpret them.

Right and write.

Sincerely,
A. Pedant

pacoluna
30-03-2019, 11:10 AM
You've been jumping on anyone who dared to criticise Neil Lennon for literally months.

Now you're jumping on folk for saying how much better PH is doing than him. You said that they were obsessed.

How is that supposed to be interpreted?

Can't get Lennon out of their heads even when praising hecky with all the praise he deserves. I've had double the amount of people trying to jump on my back for praising Lennon's time in charge. I've not posted about him at all since, the only time being when I clearly stated hecky deserves more respect than to be defined by Lennon's pros and cons as manager or direct comparisment.

blackpoolhibs
30-03-2019, 11:15 AM
I hope Hecky is as successful for us as Lennon was.

Hibbyradge
30-03-2019, 11:21 AM
Can't get Lennon out of their heads even when praising hecky with all the praise he deserves. I've had double the amount of people trying to jump on my back for praising Lennon's time in charge. I've not posted about him at all since, the only time being when I clearly stated hecky deserves more respect than to be defined by Lennon's pros and cons as manager or direct comparisment.

In what world is it disrespectful to say that the current manager is doing much, much better than the last one?

If someone says that PH is the best manager in their lifetime, would that be disrespectful too?

Folk said that about Neil Lennon so they must have been comparing him to his predecessors. I didn't see you complain about that, but maybe you did and I just misinterpreted your words.

:dunno:

hfc rd
30-03-2019, 11:28 AM
I hope Hecky is as successful for us as Lennon was.

I hope he’s even more successful

The Spaceman
30-03-2019, 11:30 AM
Heckingbottom has had a brilliant start. This shouldn't be a Heckingbottom Vs Lennon debate, but it is.

Lennon was great for us and contributed to some of my most enjoyable moments as a Hibs supporter watching McGinn, McGeouch and Scott Allan in midfield with some brilliant games of football. The European trip to Athens will always be one of my Hibs highlights. But this season we were dire under Lennon, he lost the dressing room completely, ruined our players' confidence, showed how massively volatile he is as an individual and ultimately had us in free-fall. Heckingbottom has steadied the ship and has the players loving Hibs again.

I am happy with the way things have panned out and wouldn't change much about anything that has happened in the past 3 years.

pacoluna
30-03-2019, 11:31 AM
In what world is it disrespectful to say that the current manager is doing much, much better than the last one?

If someone says that PH is the best manager in their lifetime, would that be disrespectful too?

Folk said that about Neil Lennon so they must have been comparing him to his predecessors. I didn't see you complain about that, but maybe you did and I just misinterpreted your words.

If you want to define hecky by comparing him to our previous manager that's fine but at some point that has to become disrespectful IMO.

calumhibee1
30-03-2019, 11:37 AM

:agree:

calumhibee1
30-03-2019, 11:40 AM
If you want to define hecky by comparing him to our previous manager that's fine but at some point that has to become disrespectful IMO.

What do we use to define him then? If we don’t use comparisons then how do you know he’s doing well? We’d all be happy with finishing 4th because that would be a very good season, defined by using other seasons comparatively. If we didn’t use they comparisons then we could conceivably sack PH for not winning the league.

Comparisons help to put the performance and achievements of our players and managers into perspective. You’re going to be awful disappointed if you think that people are going to stop comparing things due to it somehow being disrespectful :confused:

blackpoolhibs
30-03-2019, 11:50 AM
I hope he’s even more successful

Yip me too. :agree:

pacoluna
30-03-2019, 11:50 AM
What do we use to define him then? If we don’t use comparisons then how do you know he’s doing well? We’d all be happy with finishing 4th because that would be a very good season, defined by using other seasons comparatively. If we didn’t use they comparisons then we could conceivably sack PH for not winning the league.

Comparisons help to put the performance and achievements of our players and managers into perspective. You’re going to be awful disappointed if you think that people are going to stop comparing things due to it somehow being disrespectful :confused:

I could give you about 100 ways to define a managers success other than using direct comparison., That to me is just a lazy way of judging someone.

calumhibee1
30-03-2019, 11:51 AM
I could give you about 100 ways to define a managers success others than using direct comparison.

Go for it. I bet all the measures of success have most likely been drawn up by comparisons.

pacoluna
30-03-2019, 11:56 AM
Go for it. I bet all the measures of success have most likely been drawn up by comparisons.
You seriously can't be suggestion that only way of defining success is by using direct comparison? That means who ever who took over from butcher was a success regardless of how good they where as an individual, you could have put me in charge.

calumhibee1
30-03-2019, 12:00 PM
You seriously can't be suggestion that only way of defining success is by using direct comparison? That means who ever who took over from butcher was a success regardless of how good they where as an individual, you could have put me in charge.

Should we be winning the league? No, because we have a much smaller budget (comparison) than Celtic and Rangers. And because Celtic have better players (comparison)

Should we be finishing above St J? Yes because we have a much bigger budget (comparison) and much better players (comparison)

Is 4th a successful season? Yes because we very rarely finish that high (comparison)

Would 10th place be a bad season? Yes, because we have a budget streets ahead of over half the league (comparison)

Should we be getting to Europa League groups? Probably not, because the teams we play in qualifiers have much bigger budgets and better players (comparison) and sometimes are halfway through their season so are more match sharp than us (comparison)

I’m interested as to what you’d use to define a managers success if it’s not by using any forms of comparison?

pacoluna
30-03-2019, 12:07 PM
Should we be winning the league? No, because we have a much smaller budget (comparison) than Celtic and Rangers. And because Celtic have better players (comparison)

Should we be finishing above St J? Yes because we have a much bigger budget (comparison) and much better players (comparison)

Is 4th a successful season? Yes because we very rarely finish that high (comparison)

Would 10th place be a bad season? Yes, because we have a budget streets ahead of over half the league (comparison)

Should we be getting to Europa League groups? Probably not, because the teams we play in qualifiers have much bigger budgets and better players (comparison) and sometimes are halfway through their season so are more match sharp than us (comparison)

I’m interested as to what you’d use to define a managers success if it’s not by using any forms of comparison?

I base the success of a manger on them meeting their objectives regardless of anyone who was in the role previous.

calumhibee1
30-03-2019, 12:08 PM
I base the success of a manger on them meeting their objectives regardless of anyone who was in the role previous.

Which will have been drawn up based on a comparison of what went on before them.

pacoluna
30-03-2019, 12:11 PM
Which will have been drawn up based on a comparison of what went on before them.

No it wouldn't it's not as binary as that, circumstances change, ambitions change, expectations change based on a whole range of factors.

stoneyburn hibs
30-03-2019, 12:18 PM
I started this thread in praise of our current manager, let's not keep looking back, let's look forward to what we can achieve with PH at the helm.

Brightside
30-03-2019, 02:01 PM

Why does it bother you so much? Its entirely sensible to rate a manager based on the previous manager. It would be weird not to .

CapitalGreen
30-03-2019, 02:32 PM
I see the Lennon FC weirdos are back out in force again today.

Frazerbob
30-03-2019, 02:52 PM
I see the Lennon FC weirdos are back out in force again today.

Where?

Eyrie
30-03-2019, 09:24 PM

Fair enough.

So you'd agree that a manager who had us finish fourth was successful, one who is on course for a top six finish is successful and a manager who looked liked having us miss the top six is unsuccessful?

Swedish hibee
30-03-2019, 09:30 PM
I started this thread in praise of our current manager, let's not keep looking back, let's look forward to what we can achieve with PH at the helm.

Here Here!

04Sauzee
30-03-2019, 09:53 PM
Looking forward to seeing what kind of players he wants to get in next season, what positions he wants to strengthen and what his favoured formation/formations will be

Billy Whizz
30-03-2019, 09:59 PM
Looking forward to seeing what kind of players he wants to get in next season, what positions he wants to strengthen and what his favoured formation/formations will be

It will be interesting as you say, what he’ll be looking at for next season!
Celtic are a class above, Rangers I don’t what to make of, but the teams above us at the moment, Kilmarnock, Aberdeen and Hearts are all big physical teams, all over the park
Wonder what PB and our recruitment team are thinking, looking ahead to the next window

AgentDaleCooper
30-03-2019, 10:30 PM
it's very natural to compare the two at the moment, because they have pretty much the exact same squad at their disposal - even taking mcnulty out of the equation, flo, horgan, milligan and slivka have been different players since PH took over.

with that said, there's no point on dwelling on or even spending much time thinking about lennon, because whether we liked him/rated him or not, we all know that such a conversation tends to only go one way, that of squabbling. the fact is lennon gave us a brilliant season last year, and for that we can be grateful, but it seemed like he and the club parting ways at the time in question has worked out well for everyone, so we might as well leave it for now and enjoy what we have at present, which is very, exciting.

i love how hecky goes about his business. hibs seem to be playing a very crisp passing game at times, which is a joy to watch, and i can't wait to see how our young players develop under him.