PDA

View Full Version : McLeish to be sacked

SteveHFC
28-03-2019, 01:02 AM
Reports going around McLeish will be sacked.

Hibeesmad
28-03-2019, 01:19 AM
I think there will be a big push for McInnes to come in at the end of the season.

monktonharp
28-03-2019, 01:32 AM
I think there will be a big push for McInnes to come in at the end of the season.he wont take that job on.

HibeeHibernian4
28-03-2019, 02:26 AM
He's been looking in alarmingly bad health for the entirety of this second spell. I really hope he makes a recovery from whatever it is that he's fighting, because he looks a shell of his former self. Best wishes to him, even though I don't think much of him as a manager.

DetroitHibs
28-03-2019, 03:45 AM
Steve Clarke for me

we are hibs
28-03-2019, 05:58 AM
Even they SFA wouldn't be that stupid that they would employ a manager who was a failure already in the job to replace the man who replaced him... oh.

Since452
28-03-2019, 06:21 AM
Neil Lennons name written all over it. He wanted it the last time around and if Celtic get Clarke then i think he'll get it.

LancsHibs
28-03-2019, 06:31 AM
For the best

bingo70
28-03-2019, 06:47 AM
I hope we go for someone I’ve never heard of to replace him.

We need to think outside the box a bit here imo.

Will more likely just pull together a shortlist of unemployed Scottish managers though.

MSK
28-03-2019, 06:49 AM

Will more likely just pull together a shortlist of unemployed Scottish managers though.They will promote from within knowing that lot of incompetent buffoons, cheap and cheerful, dream team of Grant and McFadden 😲

JimBHibees
28-03-2019, 06:54 AM

Will more likely just pull together a shortlist of unemployed Scottish managers though.

Agree should not be a Scottish manager. A decent modern coach.

JimBHibees
28-03-2019, 06:54 AM
They will promote from within knowing that lot of incompetent buffoons, cheap and cheerful, dream team of Grant and McFadden 😲

Or even worse Malky and Moyesy.

bingo70
28-03-2019, 06:55 AM
They will promote from within knowing that lot of incompetent buffoons, cheap and cheerful, dream team of Grant and McFadden 😲

If they take their time and don’t rush they might be able to wait until Paul Lambert gets sacked by Ipswich.

DetroitHibs
28-03-2019, 07:10 AM
I think Mowbray would do great things for us, just don’t see him leaving his current job.

The Spaceman
28-03-2019, 07:16 AM
John Collins?

JXM73
28-03-2019, 07:24 AM
What's Berti Vogts up to these days?

SouthMoroccoStu
28-03-2019, 07:32 AM
Bring back Levine

Only 4-6-0 can save us now

RoslinInstHibby
28-03-2019, 07:34 AM
He's been looking in alarmingly bad health for the entirety of this second spell. I really hope he makes a recovery from whatever it is that he's fighting, because he looks a shell of his former self. Best wishes to him, even though I don't think much of him as a manager.

I agree, he doesn't look right to me, hasn't for a while

theonlywayisup
28-03-2019, 07:34 AM
Yogi
Peter Houston

Nah, I would like someone who is a young coach, well respected in the game. But not sure who.

NORTHERNHIBBY
28-03-2019, 07:36 AM
There seems to be more reasons for him to go than there are reasons for him to stay. His health seems to be not that good and maybe the stress that comes with the National job, is not helping him.

calumhibee1
28-03-2019, 07:37 AM
What is all this chat about his health? I admittedly don’t pay attention when he’s on the tele but does he really look that ill? :confused:

Iain G
28-03-2019, 07:38 AM
John Collins?

That self promoting, shameless, disaster of a manager David Moyes has popped his head above the parapet...

JimBHibees
28-03-2019, 07:39 AM
What is all this chat about his health? I admittedly don’t pay attention when he’s on the tele but does he really look that ill? :confused:

Never really thought about it but probably a bit older and not as sharp as he used to be. Also was he not out of managerial work for about 8 years that probably wouldnt help and then thrown in to a pretty thankless high profile job.

Zazu62
28-03-2019, 07:51 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give u the one and only, Dalry Lama

KeithTheHibby
28-03-2019, 08:11 AM

This. Seems to be a lot of wannabe doctors out there who seem to be able to diagnose McLeishs health based on tv interviews.
To me he just looks older and fatter, certainly not ill.

Souter96Mac
28-03-2019, 08:17 AM
Steve Clarke or Scott Gemmill for me

Steve20
28-03-2019, 08:21 AM
Steve Clarke or Derek McInnes would need to be mad to leave their jobs for that. The national job is not the biggest job anymore and I can't believe anyone would leave a top six side for it.

Clarke especially will move onto bigger and better things than Scotland.

The Modfather
28-03-2019, 08:28 AM
As has been said for 20 odd years. Changing managers is only papering over the cracks, we need the SFA modernised and a root and branch clearout if the old boys network.

BILLYHIBS
28-03-2019, 08:29 AM
A Scottish version of Heckingbottom pour moi!

What I have seen so far as he gets to grip with the job in hand I have been very impressed

Up to speed with all the latest training conditioning methods tactically astute and the players seem to like him

AM a shadow of his former self and appears to have lost the Dressing Room players retiring prematurely and making themselves unavailable for selection tho that might not be just down to AM

A big test for Hecky tomorrow night

Onwards and upwards

Brightside
28-03-2019, 08:31 AM
moyes. unfortunately

Pretty Boy
28-03-2019, 08:49 AM
A modern, forward thinking manager please.

The national team manager has the players for a short time so needs to get his ideas over quickly. That means embracing video technology, data analysis and visual presentation. The players will all be fit and conditioned from their clubs as most are operating at a high level. We need a coach who is able to set a team up, tactically astute and convey how that should work to the players clearly.

What we need and what we'll get are 2 different things though.

bigwheel
28-03-2019, 08:52 AM
A modern, forward thinking manager please.

The national team manager has the players for a short time so needs to get his ideas over quickly. That means embracing video technology, data analysis and visual presentation. The players will all be fit and conditioned from their clubs as most are operating at a high level. We need a coach who is able to set a team up, tactically astute and convey how that should work to the players clearly.

What we need and what we'll get are 2 different things though.

Cathro? Heckingbottom? :wink:

Carheenlea
28-03-2019, 09:38 AM
I reckon John Collins would be a positive appointment. Not getting any younger, but still fresher than previous incumbents and with a more modern outlook on the game. Could even bring his mate Yogi along as assistant.

The 90+2
28-03-2019, 09:48 AM
I reckon John Collins would be a positive appointment. Not getting any younger, but still fresher than previous incumbents and with a more modern outlook on the game. Could even bring his mate Yogi along as assistant.

No offence but that would be a complete and utter disaster.

Gloucester Hibs
28-03-2019, 09:51 AM
No offence but that would be a complete and utter disaster.

Yep. I like JC but he’s done hee-haw since leaving us some 11+ years ago. Take away the Hibs connection and you’re not left with much, would be akin to Kenny Shiels or Danny Lennon getting the gig!

Keith_M
28-03-2019, 09:58 AM
Is McCoist still available?

Since452
28-03-2019, 09:58 AM
It's not the manager that's the biggest issue it's the backwards thinking governing body that is the SFA it's 20/30 years behind the rest of the world. We had an amazing opportunity to move to Murrayfield and move forward for the betterment of Scottish football but we continue to live in the past and hold on to past substandard glories while the likes of Wales and Iceland fly past us. Full of dinosaurs from top to bottom pandering to Celtic and Rangers. Scotland now remind me of Hibs circa 2011. Stale, stagnant and lack of interest rapidly growing. Whole thing is a joke.

Diclonius
28-03-2019, 10:36 AM
Steve. Clarke.

It'll be Moyes though.

sauzee=legend
28-03-2019, 10:36 AM
Appleton 😉

The 90+2
28-03-2019, 10:40 AM
Steve. Clarke.

It'll be Moyes though.

Moyes would be a good long term appointment.

franck sauzee
28-03-2019, 10:46 AM
What is with the JC love in by a few on here? Is it a wind up? He left us in a complete mess!

Peevemor
28-03-2019, 10:47 AM
What is with the JC love in by a few on here? Is it a wind up? He left us in a complete mess!

:agree: I don't understand it either.

Since452
28-03-2019, 10:49 AM

Colins started they slide. Made abysmal signings then said cheerio.

Brightside
28-03-2019, 10:50 AM
Moyes would be a good long term appointment.

eh?

bingo70
28-03-2019, 10:56 AM
eh?

He’s not who I want but Moyes is a better manager than he’s given credit for.

GreenNWhiteArmy
28-03-2019, 10:57 AM
Good.

SHOULD be Steve Clarke/Derek McInnesor Neil Lennon if we stay in our own country. WILL be another old school jobfor the boys (Moyes/Coyle/Yogi/Smith etc) I fear, though

A very attractive proposition for anyforward thinking manager imo. We have the bones of a squad capable of reaching(at least) every other major.. And that should be the ambition of the coach. Ifyou’re Clarke or McInnes imagine taking your country to 2 major tournaments ina row all within 3 years? You could then leave and move on to “bigger andbetter” as a legend.

Unfortunately, it’s the SFA who haveno thought for national interest so will likely stumble in to appointing one oftheir old pals

HappyAsHellas
28-03-2019, 11:02 AM
Moyes done well at Everton then had a couple of disasters at home and abroad, and then saved West Ham last season. He could bring about stability which would be welcome and he's not in the dinosaur bracket therefore may tick most of the boxes. Suck it and see.

The 90+2
28-03-2019, 11:03 AM
eh?

He done a fantastic job at West Ham,Preston and Everton.

Why wouldn’t he be a good choice? Because he failed at the biggest club. In the world and couldn’t save basket case Sunderland?

B.H.F.C
28-03-2019, 11:05 AM
Interested to see who we get.

Replacing Strachan with McLeish was one of the strangest decisions they’ve ever made.

A good manager, with a bit of enthusiasm, should be able to get much more out of the players available.

Smartie
28-03-2019, 11:05 AM
He’s not who I want but Moyes is a better manager than he’s given credit for.

He was a disaster at Sunderland.

Before anyone says "basket case" they'd been in the Premier League for 10 years when he took over and he was as responsible as anyone for reducing them to basket case status.

During that job alone he demonstrated none of the abilities required in a Scotland manager. He alienated the fans within a month, effectively conceding relegation in August, spent fortunes on crap (some of which is still lingering around making life difficult for them) couldn't motivate the players and had horrendously negative tactics.

Personally I'd take Butcher, Duffy or Calderwood over Moyes.

It'll be him.

The 90+2
28-03-2019, 11:06 AM
Good.

SHOULD be Steve Clarke/Derek McInnesor Neil Lennon if we stay in our own country. WILL be another old school jobfor the boys (Moyes/Coyle/Yogi/Smith etc) I fear, though

A very attractive proposition for anyforward thinking manager imo. We have the bones of a squad capable of reaching(at least) every other major.. And that should be the ambition of the coach. Ifyou’re Clarke or McInnes imagine taking your country to 2 major tournaments ina row all within 3 years? You could then leave and move on to “bigger andbetter” as a legend.

Unfortunately, it’s the SFA who haveno thought for national interest so will likely stumble in to appointing one oftheir old pals

Why is Moyes in the same “dinosaur” bracket as John Hughes, someone who hasn’t managed anywhere higher than us or Coyle, sacked from Ross County?

Moyes managed at the highest level for years and years including only last season. Man Utd out his depth but not quite Inverness or even Birmingham.

The 90+2
28-03-2019, 11:08 AM
He was a disaster at Sunderland.

Before anyone says "basket case" they'd been in the Premier League for 10 years when he took over and he was as responsible as anyone for reducing them to basket case status.

During that job alone he demonstrated none of the abilities required in a Scotland manager. He alienated the fans within a month, effectively conceding relegation in August, spent fortunes on crap (some of which is still lingering around making life difficult for them) couldn't motivate the players and had horrendously negative tactics.

Personally I'd take Butcher, Duffy or Calderwood over Moyes.

It'll be him.

Why would you take Butcher Duffy or Calderwood over a manager that’s been managing at the highest level the past ten years, plus. A couple of poor seasons shouldn’t deflect that.

Look at how he completely turned around Preston and then Everton and the position he left them in.

worcesterhibby
28-03-2019, 11:10 AM
I'd love to see us go after Clarence Seedorf, currently Cameroon manager and while his record as a manger is unspectacular, I just think he has the charisma and high profile to get players wanting to play for the national side again and performing at a higher level.

The Green Goblin
28-03-2019, 11:11 AM
The question we should we asking is: who should we replace at the SFA?

The 90+2
28-03-2019, 11:13 AM
I'd love to see us go after Clarence Seedorf, currently Cameroon manager and while his record as a manger is unspectacular, I just think he has the charisma and high profile to get players wanting to play for the national side again and performing at a higher level.

Di Canio, just for Si Ferry’s thoughts on it “slide tackles in the changing room? Ihii”

GreenNWhiteArmy
28-03-2019, 11:17 AM
Why is Moyes in the same “dinosaur” bracket as John Hughes, someone who hasn’t managed anywhere higher than us or Coyle, sacked from Ross County?

Moyes managed at the highest level for years and years including only last season. Man Utd out his depth but not quite Inverness or even Birmingham.

He's a manager that clubs go to in a bid for survival. He done well at Everton and West Ham but imo moving forward he's not the man to take Scotland to majors. I actually like Moyes and felt sorry for him at United and West Ham.

Strachan showed in his spell that if you attack teams (games vs Poland/Ireland/Slovenia/Slovakia at home) then actually, we're a decent side. I want a manager that has us on the front foot. Moyes hasn't evolved he's stuck to his style and whilst that may have brought about some success I don't think its suited to our players

The 90+2
28-03-2019, 11:22 AM
He's a manager that clubs go to in a bid for survival. He done well at Everton and West Ham but imo moving forward he's not the man to take Scotland to majors. I actually like Moyes and felt sorry for him at United and West Ham.

Strachan showed in his spell that if you attack teams (games vs Poland/Ireland/Slovenia/Slovakia at home) then actually, we're a decent side. I want a manager that has us on the front foot. Moyes hasn't evolved he's stuck to his style and whilst that may have brought about some success I don't think its suited to our players

Fair points. I think the players will want to play for Moyes though and he would get us to the Euros, even appoint him until next summer just give us a place at the Euros 😂😂

Hibiza
28-03-2019, 11:33 AM
Bring back Levine

Only 4-6-0 can save us now

:top marks :flag:

JeMeSouviens
28-03-2019, 11:34 AM

Or perhaps, who shouldn't we replace?

HoboHarry
28-03-2019, 11:36 AM
Who should we not be replacing is probably an easier question....

HoboHarry
28-03-2019, 11:37 AM
Or perhaps, who shouldn't we replace?
Beat me to it. French git.....

green day
28-03-2019, 11:40 AM

This is the biggest issue - Mcleish is a fud, but a fud put in place by Petrie and the rest.

The SFA board might decide to remove McLeish, but how does reform at the SFA happen?

And how does it happen quickly?

I am unsure if there is even a facility for them all to "remove" themselves in the (unlikely) event that they all had a collective moment of clarity and decided to stand down?

The second question is "who replaces them"? There is a lot of chat on here, P&B etc about the blazers at the SFA, but precious little about who would or could come in and make a difference.

Onion
28-03-2019, 11:41 AM
Go back for Michael O’Neill. SFA made a Horlicks of it the last time. They just need to pay him well and say they will all resign if he agrees to take the job 😎

Paisley Hibby
28-03-2019, 11:46 AM
John Collins?

Noooooooooooo 😱😱😱

Paisley Hibby
28-03-2019, 11:48 AM
Noooooooooooo with bells on 😱😱😱😱😱😱

green with envy
28-03-2019, 12:02 PM
A lot of suggestions on the next manager due to a 'Greggs' rumour for which i'm finding pretty amusing.

G B Young
28-03-2019, 12:12 PM
Good.

The Scotland job appears to be a kind of safety net for managers who are starting to 'bottom out' having failed to rekindle the success they may have had earlier in their careers as club managers.

McLeish gets a lot of flak but before he made the mistake of moving to Villa his record at club and international level was more than decent. He won trophies north and south of the border, took Scotland to their highest ever world ranking and was excellent at Hibs. The Villa move precipitated a rapid decline though and the Scotland job's likely to be his last in football IMHO.

Moyes probably still harbours hopes that a club will come in for him, but he's teetering on the brink of being 'Scotland manager stock' due to his chequered career post-Everton.

Bottom line, no decent manager would take the Scotland job if they're still in demand at club level.

Newcastlehibby
28-03-2019, 12:14 PM
SFA not planning any talks according to BBC news.

Northernhibee
28-03-2019, 12:25 PM
I’d like Martin Canning. A young manager who has worked miracles in keeping Hamilton up year on year. Championship quality squad who are well drilled, tough to beat and grind out results when they need to.

Brightside
28-03-2019, 12:28 PM
Moyes is a paid up Largs mafia man. A cert to be offered the job. Sack malkay and big Eck. And let’s start from scratch.

JeMeSouviens
28-03-2019, 12:58 PM
Beat me to it. French git.....

L'avenir appartient à ceux qui se lèvent tôt :wink:

Tha Cabbage Kid
28-03-2019, 01:03 PM
Give Darren Fletcher the job

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

worcesterhibby
28-03-2019, 01:07 PM

personne n'aime le cul intelligent :greengrin

HoboHarry
28-03-2019, 01:13 PM

:top marks

JeMeSouviens
28-03-2019, 01:27 PM
personne n'aime le cul intelligent :greengrin

:boo hoo:

easty
28-03-2019, 01:29 PM
Give Darren Fletcher the job

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

why?

The 90+2
28-03-2019, 01:38 PM
why?

So Faddy can stay as assistant? Only reason I can think of.

KeithTheHibby
28-03-2019, 01:40 PM
Some dreadful suggestions on this thread.

The 90+2
28-03-2019, 01:42 PM
I’d like Martin Canning. A young manager who has worked miracles in keeping Hamilton up year on year. Championship quality squad who are well drilled, tough to beat and grind out results when they need to.

Martin Canning ahead of David Moyes? Seriously?

Lago
28-03-2019, 01:45 PM
Steve Clarke or Scott Gemmill for me
Steve Clark will have plenty of proper footballing offers come the end of the season.

BILLYHIBS
28-03-2019, 01:45 PM
BBC Reporting Scotland say that the SFA deny newspaper reports that they plan to relieve Scotland Manager Alex McLeish of his position

Kiss of death?

HoboHarry
28-03-2019, 01:46 PM
What you doing on Hibs.net Martin?

Smartie
28-03-2019, 01:46 PM

I don't think Martin Canning is the man for the job but what were Michael O'Neill's credentials before taking the NI job?

Maybe taking a punt on a thoughtful, intelligent, articulate younger manager who doesn't necessarily have the miles on the clock yet would be a good thing?

Moyes is predictable. A track record of more failure than success in recent years, unlikely to get any other better jobs in future and has the badges.

We've been there a lot and it hasn't been working.

The 90+2
28-03-2019, 01:48 PM
I don't think Martin Canning is the man for the job but what were Michael O'Neill's credentials before taking the NI job?

Maybe taking a punt on a thoughtful, intelligent, articulate younger manager who doesn't necessarily have the miles on the clock yet would be a good thing?

Moyes is predictable. A track record of more failure than success in recent years, unlikely to get any other better jobs in future and has the badges.

We've been there a lot and it hasn't been working.

O’Neil had brought Brechin up to the Scottish champ. Then took Shamrock Rovers into the Europa League Groups?

Moyes has a track record of doing well for years and years minus a couple of blips. If it wasn’t for they blips we would be nowhere near appointing a manager Of that standard as he would still be Man Utd Manager.

How anyone would think some boy sacked from Hamilton replaced by Brian Rice who is doing a job now is a better option than Moyes is baffling but each to our own.

Our mast manager was out of work for 8 years in and off, before then Strachan was finished at club level after Middlesboro, Celtic arguably his only success. David Moyes is a top level manager still managing in the top tier of world football only last season. Major difference for me.

surreyhibbie
28-03-2019, 01:57 PM

Easy for you to say,mate....

JimBHibees
28-03-2019, 02:12 PM
O’Neil had brought Brechin up to the Scottish champ. Then took Shamrock Rovers into the Europa League Groups?

Moyes has a track record of doing well for years and years minus a couple of blips. If it wasn’t for they blips we would be nowhere near appointing a manager Of that standard as he would still be Man Utd Manager.

How anyone would think some boy sacked from Hamilton replaced by Brian Rice who is doing a job now is a better option than Moyes is baffling but each to our own.

Our mast manager was out of work for 8 years in and off, before then Strachan was finished at club level after Middlesboro, Celtic arguably his only success. David Moyes is a top level manager still managing in the top tier of world football only last season. Major difference for me.

Dont think he did pretty sure he was in second division when he was there.

Gloucester Hibs
28-03-2019, 02:19 PM
Some dreadful suggestions on this thread.

Yep, I know we’ve fallen from grace somewhat as a national team,, but FFS some of the suggestions.... you’d be gutted if you were a championship team

JeMeSouviens
28-03-2019, 02:40 PM

:agree:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_O%27Neill_(footballer)#Coaching_career

First Irish team to make the group stages. He won back to back championships as well, the first one in 2010 was their first in 16 years.

Hibernia&Alba
28-03-2019, 02:42 PM
If Eck is emptied, McInnes or Clarke seem the clear alternatives, if either would be interested.

HibeeHibernian4
28-03-2019, 02:43 PM
This. Seems to be a lot of wannabe doctors out there who seem to be able to diagnose McLeishs health based on tv interviews.
To me he just looks older and fatter, certainly not ill.

I'm not trying to diagnose him with anything in particular, I'm merely saying that, from what I've seen of him, he does not seem to be all there. I hope I'm wrong, it's just a feeling that I can't shake every time I watch him stumble over his words and look frankly a bit lost.

oldbutdim
28-03-2019, 02:47 PM
I'm not trying to diagnose him with anything in particular, I'm merely saying that, from what I've seen of him, he does not seem to be all there. I hope I'm wrong, it's just a feeling that I can't shake every time I watch him stumble over his words and look frankly a bit lost.

He's clearly struggling with coherency.
I don't think you have to be medically qualified to see that he's not well.

18Hibee75
28-03-2019, 02:51 PM
Give it yogi!

Northernhibee
28-03-2019, 02:54 PM
He’s done incredibly well. Scotland aren’t going to win anything on technical ability, we need someone who can get scrappy results until we can work on our youth systems and bring through more talented players.

I know it’s not the obvious or marquee name but we could do a hell of a lot worse and he’s overachieved with a piss poor team for years.

JeMeSouviens
28-03-2019, 02:54 PM
If Eck is emptied, McInnes or Clarke seem the clear alternatives, if either would be interested.

After SC's ref outbursts and pointing out the Sevco-strip-wearing elephant in the ref's room, I doubt he'll be high on the SFA's list. Doubt he'd want to work for them either tbh.

Northernhibee
28-03-2019, 02:59 PM
What about Alan Stubbs? His best work is with young Scottish talent. He couldn’t get a tune out of underfunded teams of journeymen, granted, but Allan, Fyvie, Cummings, McGeouch, McGinn, Hanlon all played very good football under his guidance.

I don’t want another ten years out of date appointment, I want someone who has a footballing intelligence about them. Furthermore we all know how good he is in knockout scenarios.

Aim Here
28-03-2019, 03:03 PM
What about Alan Stubbs? His best work is with young Scottish talent. He couldn’t get a tune out of underfunded teams of journeymen, granted, but Allan, Fyvie, Cummings, McGeouch, McGinn, Hanlon all played very good football under his guidance.

I don’t want another ten years out of date appointment, I want someone who has a footballing intelligence about them. Furthermore we all know how good he is in knockout scenarios.

As if Scotland is ever going to see a knockout stage of a tournament in our lifetimes!

Northernhibee
28-03-2019, 03:38 PM
As if Scotland is ever going to see a knockout stage of a tournament in our lifetimes!

Not with the status quo, and let’s face it, Moyes is another manager who has fallen behind the times down south and that is why he’d be open to the job.

We need a different appointment.

Since452
28-03-2019, 03:48 PM
Not with the status quo, and let’s face it, Moyes is another manager who has fallen behind the times down south and that is why he’d be open to the job.

We need a different appointment.

Yup. And if he did a half decent job he'd be away to a Huddersfield or Blackpool at the first opportunity.

Besties Debut
28-03-2019, 03:52 PM
Big Eck's career has been a car crash since he got Birmingham relegated then jumped ship and joined Aston villa who then sacked him a few months later.
As for a replacement, we should be looking at ex Iceland boss Largs Lagerbeck who revolutionalised Icelandic fitba from top to bottom then getting them to the 2014 World cup playoffs before reaching the quarters of the 2016 Euros.

bingo70
28-03-2019, 04:01 PM
Big Eck's career has been a car crash since he got Birmingham relegated then jumped ship and joined Aston villa who then sacked him a few months later.
As for a replacement, we should be looking at ex Iceland boss Largs Lagerbeck who revolutionalised Icelandic fitba from top to bottom then getting them to the 2014 World cup playoffs before reaching the quarters of the 2016 Euros.

Did he not retire from management not that long ago?

If we could get him though he’d be an excellent choice.

I really hope we don’t appoint a manager that says “wur” instead of “our”, unfortunately that seems to be a prerequisite of the job though.

JeMeSouviens
28-03-2019, 04:05 PM

Not sure he'd leave Norway to come to us - bit sideways or down, no?

The 90+2
28-03-2019, 04:11 PM
Did he not retire from management not that long ago?

If we could get him though he’d be an excellent choice.

I really hope we don’t appoint a manager that says “wur” instead of “our”, unfortunately that seems to be a prerequisite of the job though.

Sure he went to Norway. Who was he joint manager with?

HFC93
28-03-2019, 04:13 PM
Not sure he'd leave Norway to come to us - bit sideways or down, no?

Yep, also the task facing Norway is very similar to Scotland. They haven’t qualified for a major tournament since 98. Would be a sideways move for him.

Besties Debut
28-03-2019, 04:20 PM
Not sure he'd leave Norway to come to us - bit sideways or down, no? All depends on what we offer him I suppose.

Besties Debut
28-03-2019, 04:22 PM
Yep, also the task facing Norway is very similar to Scotland. They haven’t qualified for a major tournament since 98. Would be a sideways move for him.If he does well with us he would be putting himself in the shop window for a move to a club side in England. He wont get the same exposure with Norway

Since452
28-03-2019, 04:23 PM

Hear what you're saying but he wouldn't be allowed to revolutionise Scottish football though. Too much interference from the blazers in the SFA. Would probably need to run it past Celtic and Rangers first.

Sweet Left Peg
28-03-2019, 04:23 PM

You cannot be serious

JeMeSouviens
28-03-2019, 04:37 PM
If he does well with us he would be putting himself in the shop window for a move to a club side in England. He wont get the same exposure with Norway

He's been a national manager for ages and did really well with Sweden (he's Swedish) and Iceland. I'm sure he'd have had plenty offers to manage club sides if that's what he wanted.

The 90+2
28-03-2019, 04:46 PM
He’s not getting punted after all now. You couldn’t make it up.

HibeeHibernian4
28-03-2019, 05:00 PM
He’s not getting punted after all now. You couldn’t make it up.

You could if your name was Keith Jackson. :aok:

Zazu62
28-03-2019, 05:05 PM
I like Mcleish. Gave us 6-2 Sauzee latapy etc

bingo70
28-03-2019, 05:13 PM
I like Mcleish. Gave us 6-2 Sauzee latapy etc

I like him too, I think he comes across as a really nice guy as well.

Shouldn’t be anywhere near the Scotland managers job though.

The 90+2
28-03-2019, 05:58 PM
You could if your name was Keith Jackson. :aok:

Fair call 😃😃

Smartie
28-03-2019, 06:43 PM
I like him too, I think he comes across as a really nice guy as well.

Shouldn’t be anywhere near the Scotland managers job though.

I loved him as Hibs manager, and Scotland first time round.

The thing I always liked about him was his honest appraisal of a game afterwards. If we were good, he'd say we were good. If we were poor, he'd say it as it is in a CONSTRUCTIVE way.

Under McLeish you never got mental team selections, stupid comments or anything that made you wonder what he was playing at, even when we had a poor performance.

There have already been a few baffling moments in this tenure.

I like the guy, would love to see him succeed but I don't know if he has what it takes any more.

Here’s Lucy!
28-03-2019, 07:12 PM
It's actually a real shame what has happened to him, and I wish him all the best.

He was a good Hibs manager imo and deserves any help he might need.

ancient hibee
28-03-2019, 07:30 PM
Like others I don't think he's well.Perhaps that might be a way out.

BILLYHIBS
28-03-2019, 07:54 PM
Good HIBS Manager but could not wait to jump ship and join his beloved Huns

I seem to remember he did “the dirty” on Scotland to join Birmingham

Dont wish the guy any harm health wise but always a Judas in my eyes

His time is up

:bye:

oneone73
28-03-2019, 09:07 PM

His time is up

This is where I am.

timewilltell
28-03-2019, 10:43 PM
Doesn’t matter who the manager is. As a football nation we are miles adrift... miles

cleanyman
28-03-2019, 10:45 PM
Good HIBS Manager but could not wait to jump ship and join his beloved Huns

I seem to remember he did “the dirty” on Scotland to join Birmingham

His time is up

He left for a bigger job both times

So be it

B.H.F.C
28-03-2019, 10:52 PM
Doesn’t matter who the manager is. As a football nation we are miles adrift... miles

There is obviously issues that go well beyond the manager of the national team, but I still disagree with this.

With the right manager we could be doing much better. We’re not going to win the Euros but we should certainly be capable of qualifying.

Pete
28-03-2019, 10:56 PM
He left for a bigger job both times

So be it

The Birmingham job is bigger than the Scotland one?

cleanyman
28-03-2019, 10:59 PM
The Birmingham job is bigger than the Scotland one?

It was a premiership job at the time so yes

Pete
28-03-2019, 11:01 PM

Debatable.

Bigger pay check maybe.

Brightside
28-03-2019, 11:04 PM
Debatable.

Bigger pay check maybe.

A day to day job in the top 2 leagues in England is much bigger for a manager than the scotland job. Its a part time job and should be resourced in that way. No need to have someone on 6 figures working for 12 weeks of the year. They could easily put someone in on a 6 month PT role with someone over seeing the end to end progress of the squad from 18 s to senior team

monktonharp
28-03-2019, 11:22 PM
firstly, the blazers call the shots and you need to adhere to their wishes/needs. secondly you need to bring in a decent number of Old firm players to the squads on a regular basis. thirdly, never mind how good someone from Motherwell or the likes are. don't bring them in, just bring in some English championship players who's Granny originally came from Kirriemuir and made good cakes. Years ago, Mowbray told the " beaks" to come and watch some of our young talent, go around the training grounds on a monthly basis , build up a portfolio if you like , about the decent young talent surrounding us. Gel them together as a decent start point for a future National team. no takers

Pete
29-03-2019, 02:33 AM
A day to day job in the top 2 leagues in England is much bigger for a manager than the scotland job. Its a part time job and should be resourced in that way. No need to have someone on 6 figures working for 12 weeks of the year. They could easily put someone in on a 6 month PT role with someone over seeing the end to end progress of the squad from 18 s to senior team

Probably showing my age because when I was growing up the international managers job was the pinnacle. The league structure was different back then and there was less financial inequality.

However, anyone who can get this bunch to qualify gets my utmost respect.

Haymaker
29-03-2019, 02:59 AM
Probably showing my age because when I was growing up the international managers job was the pinnacle. The league structure was different back then and there was less financial inequality.

However, anyone who can get this bunch to qualify gets my utmost respect.

Unfortunately it no longer is the pinnacle.

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2019, 03:29 AM

The only club where he had any real measure of success was Rangers

He won the League Cup at Birmingham then got them relegated.....resigned by email opting to join city rivals and arch enemy

Aston Villa ......Sacked....mutual consent

Nottingham Forest .....Sacked...contract terminated after two months

Genk........Sacked

Zamalek......Sacked

Scotland......’..TBC

Judas pattern emerging at HIBS Scotland and Birmingham

You might say The Rangers job is bigger than the HIBS job I understand that more pressure bigger fan base higher salary blah blah blah but to me and thousands of others it is the HIBS job number one everytime

I could not see Eddie Turnbull entertaining a move from Glasgow Rangers to be their Manager

Rangers to me are a horrible horrible club and institution

His salary in his present job is reported at £700000

No too shabby for a part time job but I do not think we are getting value for money

He is only showing loyalty to his current employer as he knows it is his last hurrah and he won’t be resigning anytime soon

Gloucester Hibs
29-03-2019, 03:45 AM

He won the League Cup at Birmingham then got them relegated.....Sacked

Aston Villa ......Sacked

Nottingham Forest .....Sacked

Genk........Sacked

Zamalek......Sacked

Scotland......’..TBA

No too shabby for a part time job but I do not think we are getting value for money

Do you?

You’d have to say his time with us was a success no? Promotion > consolidation > Europe/Cup Final. And 6-2.

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2019, 04:03 AM
You’d have to say his time with us was a success no? Promotion > consolidation > Europe/Cup Final. And 6-2.

Agree probably similar to what Neil Lennon achieved but like NL you just felt he didnae want to be here

Got lucky with the signings of Latapy and Sauzee but fair play to him he attracted them

Got unlucky in the Cup Final with injuries to Sauzee and the Latapy affair but Celtic were a good team it was a big ask

Jackie MacNamara Jnr destroyed us that day up until he came on we were holding our own imho

Ironic that it was a 0-3 home defeat to Hibernian in the Scottish Cup that led to his dismissal from Ibroke

What comes around comes around

Since452
29-03-2019, 09:07 AM
Agree probably similar to what Neil Lennon achieved but like NL you just felt he didnae want to be here

Got lucky with the signings of Latapy and Sauzee but fair play to him he attracted them

Got unlucky in the Cup Final with injuries to Sauzee and the Latapy affair but Celtic were a good team it was a big ask

Jackie MacNamara Jnr destroyed us that day up until he came on we were holding our own imho

Ironic that it was a 0-3 home defeat to Hibernian in the Scottish Cup that led to his dismissal from Ibroke

It's a fair comparison to make football wise but the tantrums, threatening to leave, throwing himself to the ground at Tynecastle and getting himself suspended makes me hold McLeish in higher regard than Lennon.

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2019, 09:35 AM
It's a fair comparison to make football wise but the tantrums, threatening to leave, throwing himself to the ground at Tynecastle and getting himself suspended makes me hold McLeish in higher regard than Lennon.

Agree

Said at the time Neil Lennon was working his ticket

Steve-O
29-03-2019, 09:39 AM

Pretty sure Le Guen was manager for both our 0-3 wins at Ibrox that season, no?

Edit - actually you’re right! Well there you go.

Diclonius
29-03-2019, 09:54 AM
I could not see Eddie Turnbull entertaining a move from Glasgow Rangers to be their Manager

Turnbull went for talks to be Rangers manager when he was at Aberdeen, but turned it down because they wouldn't budge on their no Catholics policy.

Carheenlea
29-03-2019, 09:57 AM
I saw on Twitter that Keith Jackson was getting some grief from Tam McManus and TomEnglish for insinuating that Alex McLeish has health issues.

cleanyman
29-03-2019, 10:18 AM

He won the League Cup at Birmingham then got them relegated.....resigned by email opting to join city rivals and arch enemy

Genk........Sacked

Zamalek......Sacked

Scotland......’..TBC

You might say The Rangers job is bigger than the HIBS job I understand that more pressure bigger fan base higher salary blah blah blah but to me and thousands of others it is the HIBS job number one everytime

He is only showing loyalty to his current employer as he knows it is his last hurrah and he won’t be resigning anytime soon

McLeish isn't a Hibs fan and did a good job at Hibs. When Rangers came calling who could blame him for leaving?

And of course the Rangers job is bigger its not even a debate

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2019, 10:31 AM
McLeish isn't a Hibs fan and did a good job at Hibs. When Rangers came calling who could blame him for leaving?

Agree

I understand that

But still a horrible horrible club

I think Slippy G is starting to realise that

A poisoned chalice but well paid in the short term

AM was a self confessed Rangers fan

DarlingtonHibee
29-03-2019, 10:33 AM

Genk........Sacked

Zamalek......Sacked

Scotland......’..TBC

Billy

I think the difference is that this is his job.

If we were offered a 500% increase I'm sure most of us would take it.
)
He was brought up a rangers fan

Re the rest of the his cv, clubs don't give people a chance

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2019, 10:42 AM
Billy

)

Agree

But money seems to be his motivation throughout his career

Does not make him a bad person

He will hang on at Scotland until he is pushed as he has a good contract

I admit I have let my dislike of The Rangers and the Ginger Judas influence my thought process throughout this debate :greengrin

I would like to think that throughout my career I have shown loyalty to my Employer but you are of course correct who is going to turn down a 500% pay rise

As my son would say he is a dinosaur

OK a rich dinosaur

DarlingtonHibee
29-03-2019, 10:51 AM
Agree

But money seems to be his motivation throughout his career

Does not make him a bad person

He will hang on at Scotland until he is pushed as he has a good contract

I admit I have let my dislike of The Rangers and the Ginger Judas influence my thought process throughout this debate :greengrin

I would like to think that throughout my career I have shown loyalty to my Employer but you are of course correct who is going to turn down a 500% pay rise

As my son would say he is a dinosaur

OK a rich dinosaur

Billy

Hate them as well!!!

JeMeSouviens
29-03-2019, 10:54 AM

He left Hibs in a total shambles, presumably because he stopped caring and was talking to the Old Huns. So I do blame him for that.

Plus the "here as long as you want me" while obviously untrue at the time just made him look like a totally insincere ********.

JeMeSouviens
29-03-2019, 10:56 AM
Billy

)

The bit in bold, if it had been Celtc that came for him, he'd have been off like a shot there too.

DarlingtonHibee
29-03-2019, 10:57 AM
He left Hibs in a total shambles, presumably because he stopped caring and was talking to the Old Huns. So I do blame him for that.

Plus the "here as long as you want me" while obviously untrue at the time just made him look like a totally insincere ********.

Total shambles, how?

DarlingtonHibee
29-03-2019, 10:58 AM

The bit in bold, if it had been Celtc that came for him, he'd have been off like a shot there too.

Agree mate

Peevemor
29-03-2019, 11:09 AM

Total shambles, how?

Maybe not a total shambles, but we weren't very good.

In Mcleish's last 17 league matches in charge at Hibs (July-December 2001) his record was W5 D4 L8.

From January 2001 - December 2001 (when he left) McLeish's league record was P32 W8 D10 L14

We did well under McLeish when he had a huge budget and before the advent of the transfer window. When things weren't going right he could simply bring somebody in to freshen things up. When this was no longer an option he didn't seem to know what to do.

DarlingtonHibee
29-03-2019, 11:15 AM
Maybe not a total shambles, but we weren't very good.

In Mcleish's last 17 league matches in charge at Hibs (July-December 2001) his record was W5 D4 L8.

From January 2001 - December 2001 (when he left) McLeish's league record was P32 W8 D10 L14

We did well under McLeish when he had a huge budget and before the advent of the transfer window. When things weren't going right he could simply bring somebody in to freshen things up. When this was no longer an option he didn't seem to know what to do.
He brought in Frank, Russell and mixu and I'd imagine the majority of the 6.2 and 0.3 team

I agree he had the budget before the blazer brigade, including lex gold chose setanta.....

Since452
29-03-2019, 11:20 AM
He brought in Frank, Russell and mixu and I'd imagine the majority of the 6.2 and 0.3 team

I agree he had the budget before the blazer brigade, including lex gold chose setanta.....

His first derby was and still is one of my favourites. Harpers winner after running from his own half. Never seen the old east go that crazy. Even my old man lost his composure slightly.

Brightside
29-03-2019, 11:22 AM
Just reading back there...is Eck really on 700k? The SFA are skint, we can't afford to send youth teams to foreign tournaments and we are paying a guy 700k to work a few days a week every few months? Shameless.

Billy Whizz
29-03-2019, 11:25 AM
Total shambles, how?

We were in free fall

The 90+2
29-03-2019, 11:29 AM
Total shambles, how?

Two words.

The Tank.

JeMeSouviens
29-03-2019, 11:44 AM
Total shambles, how?

With Latapy already gone, as soon as (the great) Franck Sauzee (peace be upon him) got injured, that team fell apart. It's no wonder FS couldn't turn it around as he was trying to do so without himself as a player. And he only got a couple of months before our craven board torpedoed him, so we'll never know. I haven't forgotten (hence the username).

HoboHarry
29-03-2019, 11:49 AM
With Latapy already gone, as soon as (the great) Franck Sauzee (peace be upon him) got injured, that team fell apart. It's no wonder FS couldn't turn it around as he was trying to do so without himself as a player. And he only got a couple of months before our craven board torpedoed him, so we'll never know. I haven't forgotten (hence the username).

What does the official motto of Quebec have to do with the great Franck?

:greengrin

JeMeSouviens
29-03-2019, 11:53 AM
What does the official motto of Quebec have to do with the great Franck?

:greengrin

They remember him too - it says so on all their number plates. :wink:

Swedish hibee
29-03-2019, 12:52 PM
I would sue every newspaper if I was Alex Mcleish, I think it's a disgrace to be blaming his health as the reason whether it be mental or ill health.

The 90+2
29-03-2019, 12:54 PM
I would sue every newspaper if I was Alex Mcleish, I think it's a disgrace to be blaming his health as the reason whether it be mental or ill health.

I don’t think Keith Jack.... oh, wait 😀

Lago
29-03-2019, 01:21 PM
It won't make the slightest difference if he stays or if he goes.

B.H.F.C
29-03-2019, 01:47 PM
It won't make the slightest difference if he stays or if he goes.

Why not? A capable manager could get much more out of those players and they should certainly be capable of getting through the playoffs.

highland hibbee
29-03-2019, 01:54 PM
We were in free fall

Aye we were definitely on the slip, and if he hadn’t left when he did, the way we were playing it’s unlikely another club would have wanted him. The early magic had disappeared. So he pushed before he was jumped.

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2019, 02:03 PM
Aye we were definitely on the slip, and if he hadn’t left when he did, the way we were playing it’s unlikely another club would have wanted him. The early magic had disappeared. So he pushed before he was jumped.

His last season 2001/02 Played 21 Won 8 Drawn 4 Lost 9

Smartie
29-03-2019, 02:19 PM

His good team had reached a natural end and he was having to rebuild without the likes of Sauzee and Latapy. It is always going to be challenging for Hibs at these times of transition (like this season).

His magic hadn't disappeared, we'd just hit an inevitable bump in the road.

From his point of view it was a good time to go.

The 90+2
29-03-2019, 02:21 PM
His good team had reached a natural end and he was having to rebuild without the likes of Sauzee and Latapy. It is always going to be challenging for Hibs at these times of transition (like this season).

His magic hadn't disappeared, we'd just hit an inevitable bump in the road.

From his point of view it was a good time to go.

He’s made a career out of getting out at the right time. Done the same with Motherwell Birmingham and of course the national side.

I'm Spartacus
29-03-2019, 03:47 PM

Agree, I actually think he comes across as though he's lost the plot, looks like a fake Alex McLeish compared to the Eck we all knew.

Diclonius
29-03-2019, 03:54 PM
So I guess he isn't being sacked now?

The 90+2
29-03-2019, 04:09 PM
So I guess he isn't being sacked now?

Next week.

The 90+2
29-03-2019, 04:10 PM
Agree, I actually think he comes across as though he's lost the plot, looks like a fake Alex McLeish compared to the Eck we all knew.

He’s just older. It’s like seeing your parents change in a way and because he was out the picture for so long it wasn’t really gradual either.

oneone73
29-03-2019, 04:15 PM
He’s just older. It’s like seeing your parents change in a way and because he was out the picture for so long it wasn’t really gradual either.

He's 60, ffs, no 110.

Lago
29-03-2019, 07:00 PM
Why not? A capable manager could get much more out of those players and they should certainly be capable of getting through the playoffs.

1) a capable manager will not step into that mess.

2) untill there is a radical change to Scottish football & I mean radical it doesn't matter who you appoint.