PDA

View Full Version : St Johnstone keep the pressure on.

Spike Mandela
28-03-2019, 12:16 AM
Winning tonight only 4 points behind in race for top 6. I could see them winning their last 3 games, definitely the easiest run in.

We need 5 points to secure top 6. Can we do it?. Wouldn’t fancy going to Tiny needing 3 points.

monktonharp
28-03-2019, 12:29 AM
we don't have a great record at Tynie, but they are in the same position as us, under a bit f pressure. I have a gut feeling that we can turn them round this time. lets wait until Friday. the new manager seems to be grinding out results

hfc rd
28-03-2019, 12:32 AM
Posted this on another thread:

Was looking at the fixtures for both St Johnstone & Hearts. Gap is 6 points. The yams have a much tougher fixture schedule before the split. Aberdeen (h), Rangers (a) and ourselves (h). St Johnstone have Motherwell (a), Dundee (h) and Kilmarnock (a). I would certainly not be claiming the yams are guaranteed top 6 just yet as it’ll be interesting to see how they get on in those first two fixtures before they face us on the final fixture card before the split. Especially if St Johnstone win the next two games, it’s going to be really interesting.

We have a huge game on Friday and if we win that then pretty much it is in our hands and we will only have ourselves to blame if we don’t get top 6 from there. I’m confident we will make it!

Man Down Under
28-03-2019, 01:13 AM
I can see the game at Tynie deciding who makes top 6. Should be fun

Sent from my SM-J330G using Tapatalk

BoomtownHibees
28-03-2019, 01:13 AM
Posted this on another thread:

Was looking at the fixtures for both St Johnstone & Hearts. Gap is 6 points. The yams have a much tougher fixture schedule before the split. Aberdeen (h), Rangers (a) and ourselves (h). St Johnstone have Motherwell (a), Dundee (h) and Kilmarnock (a). I would certainly not be claiming the yams are guaranteed top 6 just yet as it’ll be interesting to see how they get on in those first two fixtures before they face us on the final fixture card before the split. Especially if St Johnstone win the next two games, it’s going to be really interesting.

We have a huge game on Friday and if we win that then pretty much it is in our hands and we will only have ourselves to blame if we don’t get top 6 from there. I’m confident we will make it!

Surely it’s in our own hands already??

HibeeHibernian4
28-03-2019, 02:38 AM
Winning tonight only 4 points behind in race for top 6. I could see them winning their last 3 games, definitely the easiest run in.

We need 5 points to secure top 6. Can we do it?. Wouldn’t fancy going to Tiny needing 3 points.

Each to their own, and you may end up being proven right, but I really can't see them winning:

away to Motherwell
home to Dundee
away to Kilmarnock

Motherwell are in great form even though we did make them look very ordinary a fortnight ago. They've got a 100% record in the league at Fir Park since the turn of the year, including wins over us and Hearts.

St Johnstone should win beat Dundee at home, although there are no guarantees. They struggled past St Mirren tonight and I saw a St J fan on Twitter say they left before the final whistle because it was that bad a performance.

Killie's form has dropped off a cliff in recent months, but I'd still say St Johnstone will struggle to come away with more than a point there. Hopefully if we've got the necessary points from Livi, Killie and Hearts to guarantee top six, we can hope that St Johnstone actually do beat Kilmarnock in order to help us close in on them in the race for fourth!

calumhibee1
28-03-2019, 07:39 AM
Each to their own, and you may end up being proven right, but I really can't see them winning:

away to Motherwell
home to Dundee
away to Kilmarnock

Motherwell are in great form even though we did make them look very ordinary a fortnight ago. They've got a 100% record in the league at Fir Park since the turn of the year, including wins over us and Hearts.

St Johnstone should win beat Dundee at home, although there are no guarantees. They struggled past St Mirren tonight and I saw a St J fan on Twitter say they left before the final whistle because it was that bad a performance.

Killie's form has dropped off a cliff in recent months, but I'd still say St Johnstone will struggle to come away with more than a point there. Hopefully if we've got the necessary points from Livi, Killie and Hearts to guarantee top six, we can hope that St Johnstone actually do beat Kilmarnock in order to help us close in on them in the race for fourth!

I’m the same. They’re not winning two difficult away games imo.

JimBHibees
28-03-2019, 07:41 AM
Hugely important we dont lose at Livi and a win pretty much seals top 6 i think however would very much have us looking up especially with Killie and Hearts next 2 games.

Tarrahib
28-03-2019, 08:16 AM
Hugely important we dont lose at Livi and a win pretty much seals top 6 i think however would very much have us looking up especially with Killie and Hearts next 2 games.
We beat Livi on Friday night Well and Saints draw on Saturday top 6 is guaranteed due to our better goal difference.Lets do our part and get the win on Friday night.
Top 6 for us is a must any higher is a bonus.

Steve20
28-03-2019, 08:19 AM
I reckon St Johnstone will get 7 points from their next 3 games, which means we'd only need 3 from our 3 fixtures. There should be no excuses for not picking up at least that. If we don't, we have no business being near the top 6.

H18 SFR
28-03-2019, 08:32 AM
Killie's form has dropped off a cliff in recent months, but I'd still say St Johnstone will struggle to come away with more than a point there. Hopefully if we've got the necessary points from Livi, Killie and Hearts to guarantee top six, we can hope that St Johnstone actually do beat Kilmarnock in order to help us close in on them in the race for fourth![/QUOTE]

Kilmarnock are unbeaten in March, sure they had a poor February but they're not playing bad now.

AFKA5814_Hibs
28-03-2019, 08:38 AM
I reckon St Johnstone will get 7 points from their next 3 games, which means we'd only need 3 from our 3 fixtures. There should be no excuses for not picking up at least that. If we don't, we have no business being near the top 6.

Prior to last night, St Johnstone had lost 8 of their last 9 games. I don't see them beating either Motherwell or Killie away.

Alex Trager
28-03-2019, 08:50 AM
I am very much looking up.
We are (I think) the form team in the league.

We are 7 points from 3rd place. Not likely but not insurmountable.

For me Hearts should be looking over their shoulders not us.
It really would be tremendous for us to go there beat them and them finish bottom six as a result.

After them winning the league and us being in absolute turmoil all season we have done remarkably well to be in with a shout of 3rd place.

Aberdeen are playing poorly at home.
Killie have been poor since the turn of the year.
Hearts have been poor for a long time.

We are in form and climbing the league, beating a team we’ve not beaten since promotion with ten men, beating the form team in the league with ease making them look mediocre.

We will see how we get on on Friday, I expect three points.

Gloucester Hibs
28-03-2019, 08:55 AM
Dream scenario is we arrive at the PBS having already secured top 6 and with the chance to dump them into the bottom 6.

worcesterhibby
28-03-2019, 09:10 AM
Momentum is everything. A win on Friday would be huge and with more players coming back from injury would put us in a very strong position going into the last 7 matches of the season. The higher up the league we finish the more cash we get and the more season tickets we will sell which has a knock on effect to who we can sign for next season. The gaffer has done one Heck of a job since coming in, if we can keep this run going who knows what can be achieved.

Sir David Gray
28-03-2019, 09:22 AM
If we win tomorrow then it's done as we would be 7 points clear of St Johnstone with them having 9 points to play for.

Given our superior goal difference, they would need to win their last 3 games and we would need to lose our last 2 in order for them to overtake us.

That wouldn't happen.

B.H.F.C
28-03-2019, 09:28 AM
Playing on Friday this week is a big benefit to us IMO.

We’ve got a massive opportunity to put pressure on teams above us and pretty much kill off those chasing us. Extra day between games as well when we have three big games between tomorrow and next Saturday.

Ronniekirk
28-03-2019, 09:41 AM
I can see the game at Tynie deciding who makes top 6. Should be fun

Sent from my SM-J330G using Tapatalk

Our record there is poor and even poorer when something at stake They thrive on stopping us achieving things defines their Season
Heckingbottom looks a cool customer though and like his press conferences
But tomorrow’s game atLivi on the Plastic Pitch where they have eaten us already is the next hurdle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronniekirk
28-03-2019, 09:43 AM

It was only St Mirren they were playing it they do have a habit of going on losing and winning runs Time will tell if they now kick on

bigwheel
28-03-2019, 09:45 AM
Our record there is poor and even poorer when something at stake They thrive on stopping us achieving things defines their Season
Heckingbottom looks a cool customer though and like his press conferences
But tomorrow’s game atLivi on the Plastic Pitch where they have eaten us already is the next hurdle

agree. can define our season.....

Keith_M
28-03-2019, 09:50 AM
It's just good to have something still to play for.

If we make the top six, then Europe is still a possibility.

worcesterhibby
28-03-2019, 10:02 AM
It's just good to have something still to play for.

If we make the top six, then Europe is still a possibility.

21832:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper:hyper

Since452
28-03-2019, 10:03 AM
If we win tomorrow it's game over i reckon.

The 90+2
28-03-2019, 10:24 AM
The Johnnies aren’t catching us. We will finish 4th and Europe when Celtic hump Inverness in the final.

Since452
28-03-2019, 10:52 AM
St Johnstone only 6 points behind Hearts with the reigning champions still to play Aberdeen, Rangers and Hibs before the split. Squeaky bum time down Gorgie.

PaulSmith
28-03-2019, 10:56 AM
St Johnstone have Motherwell and Kilmarnock away. I’m not seeing them picking up many points from those two fixtures.

davhibby
28-03-2019, 11:01 AM
Motherwell will win on Saturday, it would need a pretty extreme turnaround for St J to come close to winning their last 3. I don't think they'll win any

GreenNWhiteArmy
28-03-2019, 11:08 AM
Win tomorrow and we're looking at 4th, not whether or not we'll be top 6

Motherwell and St J have 2 tough ties each, would be funny if 1 over took Hearts though

BILLYHIBS
28-03-2019, 01:30 PM
Just watched the St Mirren penalty miss at 0-0

Absolute shocker

Just put your laces through it man!

Not seen anything that bad since Cum Dog :greengrin

https://youtu.be/zrZGSQF1T8g

:confused:

Since452
28-03-2019, 01:34 PM
Just watched the St Mirren penalty miss at 0-0

Absolute shocker

Just put your laces through it man!

Not seen anything that bad since Cum Dog :greengrin

https://youtu.be/zrZGSQF1T8g

:confused:

He won't be flavour of the month with his teammates anyway. Bottom of the league and jobs on the line. Crazy.

Besties Debut
28-03-2019, 03:29 PM
St Johnstone only 6 points behind Hearts with the reigning champions still to play Aberdeen, Rangers and Hibs before the split. Squeaky bum time down Gorgie. You honestly think a club who won the first world war is going to be scared of St Johnstone.

Since452
28-03-2019, 03:54 PM
You honestly think a club who won the first world war is going to be scared of St Johnstone.

Good point

HibbyDave
29-03-2019, 07:40 AM
Dream scenario is we arrive at the PBS having already secured top 6 and with the chance to dump them into the bottom 6.

Hmmm if we have secured top six by the time we play them and have the chance to dump them into bottom six i would bet on a result that allows them top six as a “money spinner” derby would be lost otherwise.
The game is rubber ducked.

green day
29-03-2019, 07:42 AM
Hmmm if we have secured top six by the time we play them and have the chance to dump them into bottom six i would bet on a result that allows them top six as a “money spinner” derby would be lost otherwise.

What?

Are you saying Hibs would throw the match?:rolleyes:

JimBHibees
29-03-2019, 07:43 AM
What?

It would be difficult to tell at Tynecastle given our record there to be fair. :greengrin

Since452
29-03-2019, 08:19 AM
What?

We've been deliberately throwing matches there for the last 6 years 😉

Sir David Gray
29-03-2019, 10:28 AM

Do you seriously think the players and the manager would go out and deliberately lose an Edinburgh Derby if a win for us put Hearts into the bottom six and therefore meant there was no fourth derby? :confused:

I think both clubs will be in the top six anyway but the suggestion we would lose a match on purpose is outrageous.

Since452
29-03-2019, 11:16 AM

Hope not. I don't want them in the top 6. In fact i don't want them in the Premiership. Actually i don't even want them to exist.

Diclonius
29-03-2019, 11:22 AM

Hmm lemme see.

Two defeats against Hearts out of three this season and a chance to make it either a losing record (1 win v 2) or three defeats out of four, versus WINNING AT TYNECASTLE.

I think I know what the fans, players, management and board would take, thank you very much.

Hibbyradge
29-03-2019, 11:33 AM
Hmmm if we have secured top six by the time we play them and have the chance to dump them into bottom six I would bet on a result that allows them top six as a “money spinner” derby would be lost otherwise.

That's one of the most cynical, and erroneous, comments I've read on this forum.

There's literally no chance our board, manager and players would betray our fans like that.

In any case, because we have so many ST holders these days, a category A game isn't as "money-spinning" as it used to be compared to other games.

Even if it was, our club wouldn't give up the chance to get one over on hearts and Levein.

Borderhibbie76
29-03-2019, 05:30 PM
I reckon St Johnstone will get 7 points from their next 3 games, which means we'd only need 3 from our 3 fixtures. There should be no excuses for not picking up at least that. If we don't, we have no business being near the top 6.I don't see St J getting that to be honest 4 tops imho

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
29-03-2019, 05:32 PM
Dream scenario is we arrive at the PBS having already secured top 6 and with the chance to dump them into the bottom 6.Really like the sound of that...they could easily lose their next 2 against Don's and Sevco so very possible

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Tug Wilson
30-03-2019, 09:49 AM
This is the scenario I like.

Today Aberdeen and St Johnstone win.

Hibs 48
Hearts 47
St J 44

Wednesday Rangers beat Hearts and St Johnstone win at home to Dundee. We beat Killie.

Hibs 51
Hearts 47
St J 47

We then win at the PBS and the Jambos nervously watch as the Saints draw to put the league winners in the bottom 6.

Wouldn't mind Killie losing to Hamilton today as well but if we win our next 2 games then whatever points Killie are on they will still be in our sights.

Funny how all the chat about rebuilding for next season has given way to how far up the league can we get.