PDA

View Full Version : Clubstore - Retro shirts

Carheenlea
27-03-2019, 09:55 AM
I saw the clubstore are selling “replicas” of the 06/07 and 89/91 shirts.
The White & Mackay one is probably the better of the two, but they don’t look right without the manufacturer branding. Interesting to see how they are received.

https://www.hiberniandirect.co.uk/search/Retro%20shirt

nonshinyfinish
27-03-2019, 10:03 AM
I think there was a better attempt at the 91 shirt a few years back – the material had the right pattern and the only real difference was the lack of adidas badge/two stripes instead of three.

If people like them and they sell then great, I have the original of both anyway.

Antifa Hibs
27-03-2019, 10:41 AM
Nice one. Will get the 89-91 one for my hols.

Agree though, the right breast looks bare, would've been bettered with something to fill the void, even the harp or castle from the badge in place of the original manufactures logo.

Smartie
27-03-2019, 11:41 AM
That 89-91 top would make a cracking home top with our new badge.

worcesterhibby
27-03-2019, 11:41 AM
nice I like them. I picked up a Nike training shirt a few years ago that looked just like a Hibs top and got the wife to sew on a 1970's Hibs crest, it looks cool and has confused a lot of people who say..."hang on we never had a Nike shirt in the 1970's".

.Sean.
27-03-2019, 11:47 AM
The 06/07 one is missing ‘since 1875’ at the neck on the back I think. I’ve got that one in my mums attic but I’ll be getting the 89/91 for my holidays.

I’s love us to have a retro looking kit next season. Wish we were with Umbro for that reason

My_Wife_Camille
27-03-2019, 12:26 PM
Both look garbage imo. Look very much like the cheap imitations that they are.

Kojock
27-03-2019, 12:37 PM
The badge on the 89/91 shirt hold too many bad memories for me.

Pretty Boy
27-03-2019, 12:40 PM
Absolute shockers.

10/10 for the idea
2/10 for execution.

mentalhibee
27-03-2019, 12:53 PM
I have the 50s and 70s retro tops produced by copa and they are the best quality retro shirts I’ve ever owned. Top quality material and fit...think these tops will look better in the flesh.

calumhibee1
27-03-2019, 12:55 PM
I have the 50s and 70s retro tops produced by copa and they are the best quality retro shirts I’ve ever owned. Top quality material and fit...think these tops will look better in the flesh.

Yep. The 70s shirt is excellent quality

LaMotta
27-03-2019, 01:58 PM

Absolute shockers.

10/10 for the idea
2/10 for execution.

Agreed. Both horrendous :bitchy:

Can't see many people buying these.

LaMotta
27-03-2019, 02:00 PM
The 06/07 one is missing ‘since 1875’ at the neck on the back I think. I’ve got that one in my mums attic but I’ll be getting the 89/91 for my holidays.

I’s love us to have a retro looking kit next season. Wish we were with Umbro for that reason

An updated version of the 85-87 umbro kit with the white band across the middle is long overdue. New badge, new sponsor, everything else the same.

Sir David Gray
27-03-2019, 02:11 PM
I bought the 50s and 70s ones a few months ago but I think these ones work due to the lack of advertising that were on these tops and so the lack of advertising on these redesigned tops isn't noticeable.

I think the 89-91 top doesn't really work due to the fact that sponsorship has been removed.

I don't think i'll be buying it.

calumhibee1
27-03-2019, 02:22 PM
They are murder imo.

Bob Box Fish
27-03-2019, 03:05 PM
Absolute shockers.

10/10 for the idea
2/10 for execution.

This

Hibernia&Alba
27-03-2019, 03:11 PM

Yes, they don't look right minus the branding. The 72-74 shirt is great.

27-03-2019, 03:12 PM
Very poor attempt at something that could/should have been done better.

The '91 shirt they did a couple of years ago was much better quality than this attempt.

SquashedFrogg
27-03-2019, 03:56 PM

Skol cup win? I've got the tattoo 😀

Smartie
27-03-2019, 04:05 PM

It's a crap badge and I'm glad we've changed it but it holds nothing but good memories for me. It was our badge when I first got into football and I like all of our badges. They're part of our history, the same way that the bad players are part of it along with the good ones.

LaMotta
27-03-2019, 04:12 PM
Very poor attempt at something that could/should have been done better.

The '91 shirt they did a couple of years ago was much better quality than this attempt.

I would argue it shouldn't have been done at all. One of the main reasons some of the old strips are so coveted is due to how rare they are.

Bringing out a mass produced poor imitation seems pointless to me.

Hermit Crab
27-03-2019, 04:44 PM
They're all howling, trying to make quick buck. Its a shame as it could have been popular if more thought and professionalism had went into it. The look really poor. Imo of course.

Here’s Lucy!
27-03-2019, 05:07 PM
Does anyone else think that replica shirts are really for youngsters?

Fair enough, adults 'collecting' them for posterity reasons I get, but surely not actually wearing them?

My wife would kill me if I wore a football shirt in public/on holiday!!

Hermit Crab
27-03-2019, 05:09 PM

Fair enough, adults 'collecting' them for posterity reasons I get, but surely not actually wearing them?

Wearing football tops on holiday should be banned anyway unless you're a kid!

Here’s Lucy!
27-03-2019, 05:20 PM

I actually put in public/on holiday in my post!

Meaning either or.

You're dead right though, only kids should wear football tops. Full stop! :agree:

cabbageandribs1875
27-03-2019, 05:48 PM
i bought this one this afternoon, i like the material, 100% cotton :agree: no advertising, i likey

https://www.hiberniandirect.co.uk/imagprod/copa-retro-shirt-45-570-1883.jpg

Here’s Lucy!
27-03-2019, 05:54 PM
i bought this one this afternoon, i like the material, 100% cotton :agree: no advertising, i likey

Pretty cool tbf. :aok:

hibs#1
27-03-2019, 07:21 PM
I've still got the 06/07 shirt, still wear it occasionally to games. Does this make me old now I've got an original shirt that's now retro? The other one is getting bought personally think it's cool as.

MSK
27-03-2019, 07:23 PM
Gonna get one of those for wearing on holiday

SquashedFrogg
27-03-2019, 07:36 PM

Agree with this.

SChibs
27-03-2019, 08:20 PM
I like them. I wasn't even born in 91 so I don't have any memories of that strip. Maybe I like it because I'm not used to seeing or remembering the old one

mentalhibee
28-03-2019, 05:43 AM
I like them. I wasn't even born in 91 so I don't have any memories of that strip. Maybe I like it because I'm not used to seeing or remembering the old one

I have both original versions of these shirts but still like these two versions, like I said before the copa stuff is top quality material...they make retro tops for all the top European teams.

we are hibs
28-03-2019, 06:09 AM

Only time I wear a hibs top is when we are in a final/at 5's.

erin go bragh
28-03-2019, 05:24 PM
Gonna get one of those for wearing on holiday

Better get the tin hat on bud . The strips are for kids brigade will be all over you . 🤔 I love wearing our colours,abroad and at home . Couldn’t give a monkeys what others think .

Besties Debut
28-03-2019, 05:50 PM
Wearing football tops on holiday should be banned anyway unless you're a kid! Agreed. Nothing looks more ridiculous than a grown man squeezed into a shiny fitba top.

For the record, the 89 shirt was the brilliant Adidas Frank Graham top.

Here’s Lucy!
28-03-2019, 05:54 PM
Agreed. Nothing looks more ridiculous than a grown man squeezed into a shiny fitba top.

:aok: And you're right, they are always 'squeezed' into them and their head is invariably shiny too!!

Jay
28-03-2019, 11:07 PM

Nope. They are great for hols, easy washed and dried and no ironing. I like a football strip :greengrin

I liked the long sleeved retro tops but didnt think id suit it.

MSK
29-03-2019, 06:55 AM
Better get the tin hat on bud . The strips are for kids brigade will be all over you . 🤔 I love wearing our colours,abroad and at home . Couldn’t give a monkeys what others think .Ha ha, couldnt give a **** what anyone on here says 😆 I dont actually wear hibs tops on holiday although I did when I first dipped my toes in international waters many years back, nowadays its a big hibs towel and a couple of cotton hibs t-shirts 😆👍

ian cruise
29-03-2019, 08:14 AM
I'll need to see it in the shop to check fit but I'm really happy the 06/07 is available. I was a big fan of that kit but mine is too big now (first world problems I know) so would be good to get a new one.

Austinho
29-03-2019, 09:25 AM
Kind of pointless without the kit manufacture on them really.

Steve-O
29-03-2019, 09:43 AM
I think there was a better attempt at the 91 shirt a few years back – the material had the right pattern and the only real difference was the lack of adidas badge/two stripes instead of three.

If people like them and they sell then great, I have the original of both anyway.

You’re thinking of the 91/92 shirt. This new one is 90/91.

GreenOnions
29-03-2019, 09:45 AM

Can you help by giving me an idea of what the sizing is like? I am an XL normally for shirts / 44".

Carheenlea
29-03-2019, 09:53 AM
There never used to much grumbling about adult fans wearing replica shirts in the past, but I think the reason why so many do nowadays is the “athletic fit” preferred in modern day sportswear. We could all fit into one of the old Carlsberg shirts without a lot of trouble, but too much Carlsberg drinking and anything less than an athletes physique makes football shirt wearing more problematic for the average adult in 2019.

nonshinyfinish
29-03-2019, 10:13 AM
You’re thinking of the 91/92 shirt. This new one is 90/91.Ah, right enough. It's a poor attempt at that top as well.

LancashireHibby
29-03-2019, 10:30 AM
There never used to much grumbling about adult fans wearing replica shirts in the past, but I think the reason why so many do nowadays is the “athletic fit” preferred in modern day sportswear. We could all fit into one of the old Carlsberg shirts without a lot of trouble, but too much Carlsberg drinking and anything less than an athletes physique makes football shirt wearing more problematic for the average adult in 2019.
The 'athletic fit' has actually come in handy some ways, as the 2016/17 home shirt was a particularly snug fit when I bought it so it ended up being a weight loss goal to make sure I fit in to it!

HFC93
29-03-2019, 11:01 AM
There is a definite element of fashion snobbery when it comes down to fans looking down on adults wearing a football shirt.

seanshow
29-03-2019, 11:14 AM
Can you help by giving me an idea of what the sizing is like? I am an XL normally for shirts / 44".

I was just through picking up tickets and was having a look at the retro tops in the shop, re size, I would normally buy medium, but looking at both the round collar and open collar shirts, I would have bought the small in both,
I just thought the material was a bit thin and the 'actual round collar' was massive even for medium or small, so didn't buy one...... Some people are never pleased :duck:

cabbageandribs1875
29-03-2019, 11:42 AM

i float between M and L(but more on the L :greengrin), M was just too tight, L is fine, and they come in a nice copa box :)

i love the cotton as quite often the material on tops nowadays gives me a right fair belt of static when i take them off :rolleyes:

Purple & Green
29-03-2019, 11:53 AM
£40 for a poor copy, can’t see it myself.

I’ve always thought that hibs should market their iconic colours with simple cotton t shirts in green and white sleeves - kick them out at £20 or £30 for heavy duty cotton for people who shouldn’t be seen in a replica top, or don’t want to wear one.

No branding or marking required - how many teams in the world are instantly recognisable like us? Barcelona? Ajax?

CMurdoch
29-03-2019, 12:01 PM
I was just through picking up tickets and was having a look at the retro tops in the shop, re size, I would normally buy medium, but looking at both the round collar and open collar shirts, I would have bought the small in both,
I just thought the material was a bit thin and the 'actual round collar' was massive even for medium or small, so didn't buy one...... Some people are never pleased :duck:

I agree that they are too thin which makes them £40 t shirts

Here’s Lucy!
29-03-2019, 05:09 PM
There is a definite element of fashion snobbery when it comes down to fans looking down on adults wearing a football shirt.

Maybe slightly, but if you are northwards of 18 years old, fat and baldy, it's a horrendous look.

Wearing the full 'kit' is even worse.

Astornerset32
17-01-2021, 07:28 PM
'nice I like them. I picked up a Nike training shirt a few years ago that looked just like a Hibs top and got the wife to sew (https://www.craftyhangouts.com/best-walking-foot-sewing-machine/) on a 1970's Hibs crest, it looks cool and has confused a lot of people who say..."hang on we never had a Nike shirt in the 1970's".'
Nice, could you show? I'd like to see this!

Pagan Hibernia
18-01-2021, 06:32 AM
I tried to buy the 1990 one a while back and it’s completely sold out.

so some people must like them. To me that shirt is iconic because it brings back memories of Hands Off Hibs and triumphing over the ftb. Doesn’t really bother me that the sponsor isn’t on the front. I prefer football shirts not tainted by corporate garbage, and yes I’m fully aware of Hibs ‘pioneering’ efforts in that area.