PDA

View Full Version : Racism.

blackpoolhibs
26-03-2019, 11:00 PM
All day in every paper and every media outlet there has been an out pouring of disgust over the monkey chants towards Raheem Sterling.

Perhaps something will finally be done about this in these shores, there's talk about points deductions and grounds closing.

I have my doubts anything serious will be done, we've heard it all before, but there was a different kind of disgust today in my opinion.

If it is to be treated as serious as it should be, i wonder what will happen in Scotland, maybe they will at last be shamed into action over the bigoted crap we see every week in our game?

It's a long shot i know, but you never know?

HappyAsHellas
26-03-2019, 11:13 PM
Bigot fest on Sunday so I'm sure they'll clamp down with immediate effect.

DarlingtonHibee
26-03-2019, 11:15 PM
Bigot fest on Sunday so I'm sure they'll clamp down with immediate effect.

That made me laugh 😂

monktonharp
26-03-2019, 11:40 PM
All day in every paper and every media outlet there has been an out pouring of disgust over the monkey chants towards Raheem Sterling.

Perhaps something will finally be done about this in these shores, there's talk about points deductions and grounds closing.

I have my doubts anything serious will be done, we've heard it all before, but there was a different kind of disgust today in my opinion.

If it is to be treated as serious as it should be, i wonder what will happen in Scotland, maybe they will at last be shamed into action over the bigoted crap we see every week in our game?

It's a long shot i know, but you never know?spot on with that mate, and you added the bit that is more prelavent in my country. let's hope it gives the authorities a real kick up the erse as to what is going on. there is racism all over the UK, which is shocking and add to that the problem with bigoted sectarianism we have up here it is compounded.

Franck Stanton
26-03-2019, 11:41 PM
When I was working ( retired now) was sent on a course 're racism in the workplace. The lecturer asked us if anyone was colour prdudiced. I immediately put my hand up, much to the horror of the rest of those present. I then stated " I hate the colour maroon"

monktonharp
27-03-2019, 12:48 AM
When I was working ( retired now) was sent on a course 're racism in the workplace. The lecturer asked us if anyone was colour prdudiced. I immediately put my hand up, much to the horror of the rest of those present. I then stated " I hate the colour maroon"the lecturer must have got you on a technicality :wink:

highland hibbee
27-03-2019, 06:03 AM
When I was working ( retired now) was sent on a course 're racism in the workplace. The lecturer asked us if anyone was colour prdudiced. I immediately put my hand up, much to the horror of the rest of those present. I then stated " I hate the colour maroon"

class pal, got me smiling ta

WhileTheChief..
27-03-2019, 08:03 AM
Wonder why this thread hasn’t run to 10 pages or more?

Do we care more about sectarianism than racism?

Or is just that we can’t rip into the old firm clubs in this case so no one really cares?

Blaster
27-03-2019, 08:09 AM

Or is just that we can’t rip into the old firm clubs in this case so no one really cares?

Football clubs cannot resolve society’s problem of racism or sectarianism.

steelendhibs
27-03-2019, 08:14 AM
The media are calling for everything possible to be thrown at Montenegro. The next time English fans sing about potatoe munching Irish man, or Scotland fans sing about English Barstewards will they have the same clamour for our stadiums to be closed? By their methods Chelsea and Tottenham should have played a game behind closed doors this season. Be careful what sanctions you wish for as it might actually affect you one day. This is exactly why our clubs don't want strict liability. We aren't holier than thou in the UK by any means

CapitalGreen
27-03-2019, 08:45 AM

You’re wondering why a thread started at 11pm last night hasn’t made it to 10 pages by 8am the following morning?

Antifa Hibs
27-03-2019, 08:49 AM
WhileTheChief.. wrote

Never happened in this country. Plus whenever there is a racist incident it is usually a one-off and an extreme minority.

Uefa's charges on racism are a joke. A pitch invision or flare show will get a bigger fine than a group of fannys making monkey noises.

Pretty Boy
27-03-2019, 09:07 AM
Very little will be done to seriously tackle racism or sectarianism as long as 'whataboutery' exists.

If every club and country involved, and to varying extents that is everyone, took action to get their house in order then the issues could be resolved within a generation. As it is the default position, and Hibs fans are far from immune to this, is 'aye that's not on but what about.....'

There's a will to tackle bigotry but only if someone else does it first.

pontius pilate
27-03-2019, 09:23 AM
John Barnes done an interview yesterday saying why are the media wanting Montenegro severely punished when the same things are still happening in our leagues. Fair point to make

Keith_M
27-03-2019, 09:26 AM

Oh dear

GreenNWhiteArmy
27-03-2019, 09:45 AM
John Barnes done an interview yesterday saying why are the media wanting Montenegro severely punished when the same things are still happening in our leagues. Fair point to make

I listened to that interview PP and thought he was bang on the money, AGAIN, with it.

Its similar to the cocaine in football story recently where its landed at football's door to address. Nope - these are wider society issues and until we educate people and report properly on racism/drug abuse/sectarianism then nothing will ever be done about it

WhileTheChief..
27-03-2019, 10:52 AM
Oh dear

True though.

My point is that if this had been old firm fans we’d have been all over it.

But it’s not, so it’s barely mentioned.

Antifa Hibs
27-03-2019, 11:26 AM
But it wasn't old firm fans was it, it was a bunch of ******s from 2000 miles away. You get racist incidents on the continent all the time. I reckon between Spain, Italy, ex-Yugoslavia and Soviet there will be racism most weeks aimed towards black players. This one is only being called out 'cos it was against England.

ScottB
27-03-2019, 12:11 PM
There has been a lot of media coverage of the very overt racism Sterling and Rose were subjected to.

But as Sterling points out himself, the English media is itself pretty racist, sure, it’s not making monkey noises at players, but in its tone and how it chooses to cover players. He gave an example of a young black player buying a new house being described in rather negative terms, while Phil Foden doing the same thing was hailed as a bright young thing selflessly buying his Mum a mansion etc.

It’s right that the media calls out what happened the other night, but it’s very selective as to when it does so, while continuing to either be fairly questionable itself, or ignore other domestic issues, like bigotry up here etc.

Argylehibby
27-03-2019, 12:16 PM
I am on a city break in Belfast at the moment and yesterday did the black cab tour of the city highlighting the troubles areas. Got back to the hotel and local news shows a piece on Northern Ireland fans singing sectarian songs in a pub. Main news follows and a lengthy piece on English players being racially abused, nothing about the Irish story.

So is that because Northern Ireland is less important than England, racism is more important than sectarianism or highlighting issues in UK is to be avoided?

If our national TV can edit news in a way that one or all 3 of the above are allowed what chance have we got of sorting out the mess.

SChibs
27-03-2019, 12:17 PM

Probably cause the vast majority of us on here have experienced the sectarianism first hand whether we are offended by it or not. We see it happening in our league every week so naturally have a lot to say on it.

Montenegro fans are obviously in the wrong but it doesn't affect hibs so people will have less to say about it on a Hibs forum. It doesn't mean people don't care. The difference between racism and sectarianism is that a lot of the country here take part in the latter and seem to think it's okay. Whereas almost everyone shares the same opinion on racism so there isn't much to debate or discuss

The Baldmans Comb
27-03-2019, 12:17 PM
Many parts of the English media hate Raheem Sterling with an absolute vengeance and Sterling was quite right to call them out over it not that it will make much difference as the colour of his skill for the time being trumps his obvious ability as a footballer.

Its hard to understand the difference in the English mentality of a very successful black footballer who does his very best for his family and his community and a 'Black' Boy getting above his station.

The 90+2
27-03-2019, 12:50 PM
I am on a city break in Belfast at the moment and yesterday did the black cab tour of the city highlighting the troubles areas. Got back to the hotel and local news shows a piece on Northern Ireland fans singing sectarian songs in a pub. Main news follows and a lengthy piece on English players being racially abused, nothing about the Irish story.

So is that because Northern Ireland is less important than England, racism is more important than sectarianism or highlighting issues in UK is to be avoided?

If our national TV can edit news in a way that one or all 3 of the above are allowed what chance have we got of sorting out the mess.

National news is news in England. We all know that.

The 90+2
27-03-2019, 12:52 PM
Many parts of the English media hate Raheem Sterling with an absolute vengeance and Sterling was quite right to call them out over it not that it will make much difference as the colour of his skill for the time being trumps his obvious ability as a footballer.

Its hard to understand the difference in the English mentality of a very successful black footballer who does his very best for his family and his community and a 'Black' Boy getting above his station.

For Sterling see Beckham. Nothing to do with race, more to do with jumping on a bandwagon of hate now he will be golden boy for the next 10 years.

stuart-farquhar
27-03-2019, 01:29 PM

I was there yesterday. Sad wee depressing area. Very.

WeeRussell
27-03-2019, 02:19 PM
True though.

It’s a Hibs forum. Chances are a lot of posters on here will have first-hand experience of sectarianism from the old firm to share and discuss. And it’s a bit more ‘complex’ with differing opinions amongst our fans which leads to debate, back and forward posting.

I’m sure if there’s another crowd incident in Scotland this weekend, it’ll be discussed further than anything taking place in the Italian league for example. It’s not really a big deal.

Keith_M
27-03-2019, 02:32 PM
True though.

OK, well my point is that the thread only started at 11PM yesterday, and you posted how few responses there had been by the time people woke up.

You seemed desperate to have a dig at your fellow fans, basically accusing them of not caring about racism, and only caring about having digs at The Old Firm.

If only we all stayed up all night, waiting to add hundreds of comments to the post before you got out of your bed.

As I say, though, that's just my point of view. Obviously no offence intended.

Keith_M
27-03-2019, 02:40 PM
I wish these guys were all Scottish.

Wouldn't help in their fight against racism or anything, it's just that they're all fantastic players and I'd be proud to have them as fellow Scotsmen.

The Baldmans Comb
27-03-2019, 03:57 PM
For Sterling see Beckham. Nothing to do with race, more to do with jumping on a bandwagon of hate now he will be golden boy for the next 10 years.

I can see what you are getting at up to a point as I remember the original Beckham abuse and the Man U striker Rooney suffered as well but can't think it was to the same extent or length of time as Sterling.

Sterling seemed to get hammered for much longer and in his view it was because parts of the English media were not comfortable with this new breed of incredibly wealthy black players.

I guess the English will lay off now as him and his advisors documented admirably well how manufactured the stories were compared to say some of the white players such as Barclay who only got positive stories for very similar behavior.

Argylehibby
27-03-2019, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE=stuart-farquhar;5749591]I was there yesterday. Sad wee depressing area. Very.[/QUOTE

I was there yesterday and went through a few emotions. Sad definitely, anger and hope as well.

As my previous post says if national news won’t report on issues like the fans sectarian singing then it will continue. Its no less worthy of a mention than what happened at England’s game and it was an easy link from one to the other but it wasn’t used. I’d love to know who decides what topics will be featured on the national news and get some explanation of why one incident wasn’t mentioned.

The 90+2
27-03-2019, 05:32 PM
I can see what you are getting at up to a point as I remember the original Beckham abuse and the Man U striker Rooney suffered as well but can't think it was to the same extent or length of time as Sterling.

Sterling seemed to get hammered for much longer and in his view it was because parts of the English media were not comfortable with this new breed of incredibly wealthy black players.

I guess the English will lay off now as him and his advisors documented admirably well how manufactured the stories were compared to say some of the white players such as Barclay who only got positive stories for very similar behavior.

I think you are less likely to get abuse in England if you play for a London club. See Rio and John Terry.

I’m not saying the colour of skin isn’t a factor but for me with England there’s other factors mate.

Sterling playing for Liverpool when it came to the Sun then moving to a Manchester club and bumping Chelsea was a factor too. A bit like bumping the old firm.

The Baldmans Comb
27-03-2019, 06:32 PM
I think you are less likely to get abuse in England if you play for a London club. See Rio and John Terry.

I’m not saying the colour of skin isn’t a factor but for me with England there’s other factors mate.

Sterling playing for Liverpool when it came to the Sun then moving to a Manchester club and bumping Chelsea was a factor too. A bit like bumping the old firm.

Englands a country I don't know very well but its an interesting point that the inbuilt racism that some parts of the media and some sections of the country seem to have is actually less racism but just regional bias.

There might be a lot to your point that its a mini old firm situation when favoured clubs get bumped.

After all it was Raheem Sterling and his advisors who painted the racism picture but he is hardly the first successful black player in English football.