PDA

View Full Version : McNulty playing for Scotland - Good or Bad for Hibs?

HibsTalk
26-03-2019, 02:11 PM
Does it improve our chances of signing him as it proves we can help him get in the [emoji1022]󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 squad?

Or does it increase his stock putting him out of Hibs' reach financially?

Let me know what you all think and I'll read it on the pod this evening

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

B.H.F.C
26-03-2019, 02:17 PM
Not sure that, financially, we’d ever be able to buy him. Reading will want to recover a fair chunk of the money they paid for him.

He’s also got three years to run on what will be the biggest contract of his career so he might not be in any rush to give that up.

Reckon the best we can hope for is another loan.

Hibernian Verse
26-03-2019, 02:26 PM
After missing that header I'd suggest we have a better chance now :greengrin

WeeRussell
26-03-2019, 03:08 PM
‘Apparently’ he’s keen on sticking around and wages aren’t as big a problem as one might think. The transfer fee in persuading reading to let him go seemingly the bigger obstacle.

tynehibs
26-03-2019, 03:21 PM
I reckon hibs might push the boat on this one , could be the marquee signing

CMac1988
26-03-2019, 03:22 PM
Big fan of McNulty. Very positive player who's played as big a role in our turnaround as the management.

Reading payed between £1.2 - 1.5 million which is a fair wack. Could Hibs afford to pay around £750,000? Would that be enough? Would like to see us make a fair effort to bring him in.

Since452
26-03-2019, 03:32 PM
Can't wait for the summer transfer window thread already. Trying to guess where Marc is by the reflection on his shades on his Instagram pic. What a time to be alive.

DarlingtonHibee
26-03-2019, 03:33 PM
I reckon hibs might push the boat on this one , could be the marquee signing

Can't see it, from a financial perspective.

Best we can hope for is another loan.

Hibeesmad
26-03-2019, 03:37 PM
Hibs are starting to get a reputation of helping players play for their national team and this is another one of hopefully many more to come. This will give players debating whether to come to the club the confidence of furthering their careers.

On a side note, I heard from someone with close connections to Mark that Hibs have an option to buy him. Not sure if this is 100% accurate but I thought I'd share it anyway.

tynehibs
26-03-2019, 03:39 PM
Can't see it, from a financial perspective.

Best we can hope for is another loan.

I know but we live in hope mate

DarlingtonHibee
26-03-2019, 03:42 PM
Hibs are starting to get a reputation of helping players play for their national team and this is another one of hopefully many more to come. This will give players debating whether to come to the club the confidence of furthering their careers.

On a side note, I heard from someone with carslose connections to Mark that Hibs have an option to buy him. Not sure if this is 100% accurate but I thought I'd share it anyway.

He's got three years left at Reading, where he will be on a lucrative salary.

We would struggle to pay a quarter of his wage.

DarlingtonHibee
26-03-2019, 03:47 PM
I know but we live in hope mate

Agree mate

Brightside
26-03-2019, 04:47 PM
Big fan of McNulty. Very positive player who's played as big a role in our turnaround as the management.

Reading payed between £1.2 - 1.5 million which is a fair wack. Could Hibs afford to pay around £750,000? Would that be enough? Would like to see us make a fair effort to bring him in.

Not a hope we can pay that.

Aim Here
26-03-2019, 04:55 PM
Not a hope we can pay that.

We paid over £500k for Anthony Stokes. It's on the high side, for sure, but £750k isn't out of reach, if McNulty shows he's worth it. We probably have to wait for Aston Villa to sell John McGinn to some EPL or Bundesliga team for £lots so we catch a decent sell-on bung, and then we'd have to catch Rod Petrie in a really good mood. It's unlikely but possible.

The 90+2
26-03-2019, 05:01 PM
We paid over £500k for Anthony Stokes. It's on the high side, for sure, but £750k isn't out of reach, if McNulty shows he's worth it. We probably have to wait for Aston Villa to sell John McGinn to some EPL or Bundesliga team for £lots so we catch a decent sell-on bung, and then we'd have to catch Rod Petrie in a really good mood. It's unlikely but possible.

Stokes was a free transfer? McNulty will be back down South next season.

CropleyWasGod
26-03-2019, 05:02 PM

As Tina Turner might have sung.....

What's Rod got to do with it?

Here’s Lucy!
26-03-2019, 05:10 PM
Probably lessens our chances of getting him permanently, I'm afraid.

We need someone than can score headers anyway!!

:wink:

Tarrahib
26-03-2019, 05:16 PM
Probably lessens our chances of getting him permanently, I'm afraid.

We need someone than can score headers anyway!!

:wink:
We have someone Ryan Porteous.

Here’s Lucy!
26-03-2019, 05:24 PM
We have someone Ryan Porteous.

It was a wee joke.

:greengrin

Aim Here
26-03-2019, 05:27 PM
Stokes was a free transfer? McNulty will be back down South next season.

Not when we signed him from Sunderland.

As Tina Turner might have sung.....

What's Rod got to do with it?

When Hibs are considering spending money on something, Rod will be involved.

Sammy7nil
26-03-2019, 05:29 PM
If he gets more tv exposure for the national team and misses chances like he did the other night we have a wee squeak of signing him.:wink:

Tarrahib
26-03-2019, 05:31 PM
It was a wee joke.

:greengrin
So was mine!

Here’s Lucy!
26-03-2019, 05:36 PM
So was mine!

I actually realised that once I'd posted!!

Sorry.:aok:

Tarrahib
26-03-2019, 06:02 PM
I actually realised that once I'd posted!!

Sorry.:aok:
Don t be sorry. Keep on posting.I enjoy your wit.

Hibees1973
26-03-2019, 07:53 PM
Step forward our own mystery benefactor, similar to the one they have on the other side of the city. However, our benefactor should be one where you can see the money going, not paying an overspend on a rusty stand.

Another idea would be that Mr Farmer wrote off the £500k he takes out of Hibs each year. This would pay two thirds of the transfer fee needed for McNulty. Get rid of some our hangers on such as Nelom, Bigirimanna, Whittaker, Aygepong to name four. The total sum in wages for these four would pay McNulty’s.

If McNulty knocked in 20 goals next season we would have a £2millon pound asset.

Eyrie
26-03-2019, 08:24 PM
Step forward our own mystery benefactor, similar to the one they have on the other side of the city. However, our benefactor should be one where you can see the money going, not paying an overspend on a rusty stand.

Another idea would be that Mr Farmer wrote off the £500k he takes out of Hibs each year. This would pay two thirds of the transfer fee needed for McNulty. Get rid of some our hangers on such as Nelom, Bigirimanna, Whittaker, Aygepong to name four. The total sum in wages for these four would pay McNulty’s.

If McNulty knocked in 20 goals next season we would have a £2millon pound asset.

Or we could just use the money we've saved by not having to pay Farmer any interest after he replaced the bank loan which did cost us money.

WeeRussell
26-03-2019, 08:46 PM

On a side note, I heard from someone with close connections to Mark that Hibs have an option to buy him. Not sure if this is 100% accurate but I thought I'd share it anyway.

I heard different in that we haven’t an option as such, but have expressed more than an interest, but as yet haven’t offered an ‘acceptable’ fee.

Your source may well be closer to Marc than mine though!

Tug Wilson
26-03-2019, 09:51 PM
I think that there might be some scenarios where McNulty might be at Hibs next season but it has to be said that it will take some magic from Hibs to make it happen.

LustForLeith
27-03-2019, 06:29 AM
I reckon if Lennon gets the Celtic job then McNulty will go there in the summer.

Onion
27-03-2019, 06:44 AM
Makes no difference, McNulty is out of our price range. More likely that Celtic or Sevco will sign him now.

Salisbury Hibby
27-03-2019, 07:53 AM
Makes no difference, McNulty is out of our price range. More likely that Celtic or Sevco will sign him now.We're always told that when we sell a player that the money comes in instalments.
Rod Petrie might have his detractors but I have faith that if anyone can negotiate easy terms, it's him.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The 90+2
27-03-2019, 08:46 AM
We're always told that when we sell a player that the money comes in instalments.
Rod Petrie might have his detractors but I have faith that if anyone can negotiate easy terms, it's him.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

We wouldn’t be able to pay his wage.

HibsTalk
27-03-2019, 09:13 AM
Thank you for the comments and great to see the conversation still going. There's been more comments since it's been recorded so apologies if your comment isn't read out. Enjoy the pod!

Apple Podcasts - https://tinyurl.com/y48r8uw4
Spotify - https://tinyurl.com/y2xnk3na
Web Browser - https://tinyurl.com/yxvs9a6t
YouTube - https://youtu.be/Qv8x1mcN4ak

Peevemor
27-03-2019, 09:40 AM
We wouldn’t be able to pay his wage.

I'm not sure it's been confirmed anywhere, but it seems that as part of Kamberi's loan deal last season it was agreed that Grasshopper were bound to sell him to us if we offered a certain amount. However, this didn't oblige Flo to sign for us, he still had to accept our terms. I would imagine he'll be one of the highest earners at Hibs as he could easily have got a move to a better paying league.

It'd be good if we could do the same for McNulty (although the transfer fee would obviously be higher), but it all depends whether the club wants to take the gamble, eg. £750k transfer fee & a 4 year deal on good wages in the hope of selling him for say £2m with a year left on his contract. :dunno:

DarlingtonHibee
27-03-2019, 11:29 AM
I'm not sure it's been confirmed anywhere, but it seems that as part of Kamberi's loan deal last season it was agreed that Grasshopper were bound to sell him to us if we offered a certain amount. However, this didn't oblige Flo to sign for us, he still had to accept our terms. I would imagine he'll be one of the highest earners at Hibs as he could easily have got a move to a better paying league.

It'd be good if we could do the same for McNulty (although the transfer fee would obviously be higher), but it all depends whether the club wants to take the gamble, eg. £750k transfer fee & a 4 year deal on good wages in the hope of selling him for say £2m with a year left on his contract. :dunno:
Won't happen, best we can hope for is another loan