PDA

View Full Version : Windsor bar (Hibs fans)

pacoluna
25-03-2019, 01:59 PM
The Windsor bar has been given a license to sell alcohol from 9am to supporters travelling to away games.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/hibs-away-fans-allowed-to-buy-9am-pints-at-elm-row-pub-1-4895317/amp

Hibernia&Alba
25-03-2019, 02:14 PM
Why would anyone (other than those with a severe drink problem) want to be on the bevy at 9 a.m.? The thought of it gives me the boak. :greengrin

pacoluna
25-03-2019, 02:21 PM
Why would anyone (other than those with a severe drink problem) want to be on the bevy at 9 a.m.? The thought of it gives me the boak. :greengrin

It's for the "older generation" of Hibs fans according to the article.

BILLYHIBS
25-03-2019, 02:24 PM
It's for the "older generation" of Hibs fans according to the article.

Yeah! No rabble. Especially at those prices :greengrin

Aim Here
25-03-2019, 02:34 PM
“We are not talking about football casuals here – this is an older generation of Hibs fans who will be having breakfast and a drink, if they wish."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't the folks still identifying themselves as 'football casuals' be among that older generation of Hibs fans? The younger fans are all about the ultras these days...

Basildon Hibs
25-03-2019, 02:50 PM

Speak for yourself. Everyone is different. You may have people finishing Night shift who want to go for a drink - which is akin to someone finishing a 9 - 5 shift.
Doesn't mean people have a severe drink problem.

Pretty Boy
25-03-2019, 03:01 PM
Speak for yourself. Everyone is different. You may have people finishing Night shift who want to go for a drink - which is akin to someone finishing a 9 - 5 shift.
Doesn't mean people have a severe drink problem.

:agree:

I used to quite enjoy a pint at 7.30 when I had been on night shift.

Still enjoy the odd pint in the morning now if I have a couple of days off to myself. Not so many really early openers these days and even the 9am openers are fewer and further between than they used to be. The Scotsman's Lounge was my haunt in the night shift days but that changed from 6am to 9am and is now an 11am opener.

hibbyfraelibby
25-03-2019, 03:05 PM
What is it with inadequates and alcohol that they cannot watch our team sober...

Albanian Hibs
25-03-2019, 03:20 PM
What is it with inadequates and alcohol that they cannot watch our team sober...

🤣

Antifa Hibs
25-03-2019, 03:24 PM

Colin Calderwood, Terry Butcher, Pat Fenlon - need I go on.:greengrin

Cannae beat an early pint, get in before the riff-raff are out, quick read of the paper, few jars then have the rest of the day with a wee glow about you :greengrin

Famous Fiver
25-03-2019, 03:40 PM
Bar in the Airport available for the early risers. I've seen it going great guns at 7 in the morning.

Since452
25-03-2019, 03:48 PM

Still enjoy the odd pint in the morning now if I have a couple of days off to myself. Not so many really early openers these days and even the 9am openers are fewer and further between than they used to be. The Scotsman's Lounge was my haunt in the night shift days but that changed from 6am to 9am and is now an 11am opener.

I used to quite often have a dram when i got home after the nightshift. Quite enjoyed it while watching folk queue at the bus stop in the freezing cold. Only nightshift workers will understand haha.

BILLYHIBS
25-03-2019, 04:02 PM

Penny Black for the posties

Is it still there?

Here’s Lucy!
25-03-2019, 04:09 PM
Penny Black for the posties

Is it still there?

Penny Black is long gone Billy, along with Hilda the manageress, who you may recall?

BILLYHIBS
25-03-2019, 04:17 PM
Penny Black is long gone Billy, along with Hilda the manageress, who you may recall?

Aye!

It was an oasis in a veritable desert of closed boozers and strict licensing hours in my younger days and walking distance from my flat in Brunswick Street ( London Road end )

:thumbsup:

Here’s Lucy!
25-03-2019, 04:37 PM
Aye!

It was an oasis in a veritable desert of closed boozers and strict licensing hours in my younger days and walking distance from my flat in Brunswick Street ( London Road end )

You knew her then?

Lovely person she was too, her daughter sometimes worked there also.

HFC93
25-03-2019, 04:43 PM
9am pint before an early kick off at Tynie. Nothing wrong with that.

Malthibby
25-03-2019, 04:53 PM
Aye!

Hilarious having to leave for 1/2 an hour (7'ish?) because you couldn't have a 24 hour licence.
On topic, I drank in the Windsor for years, pretty sure this won't be an offer for the young un's.

Albanian Hibs
25-03-2019, 04:54 PM

Yip that's what we are planning to do.

Albanian Hibs
25-03-2019, 04:55 PM
Bar in the Airport available for the early risers. I've seen it going great guns at 7 in the morning.

Thank God or I would never be able to go on a plane.

Lago
25-03-2019, 06:25 PM
Never been in Edinburgh Airport early doors ?

Hibernia&Alba
25-03-2019, 06:43 PM
Never been in Edinburgh Airport early doors ?

True enough. I couldn't attempt a pint early morning. A coffee and large sparkling mineral water for me :greengrin

Bishop Hibee
25-03-2019, 06:43 PM
I’ve never liked The Windsor since me and a few mates were watching Sportscene there one Saturday evening back in the day. Highlights of the Dons pumping Hertz 1-4 at Tiny came on and we got threatened with being kicked out for laughing, fairly uproariously to be fair, at a close up of a maroon scarf on the pitch. I’ve never been back since.

BullsCloseHibs
25-03-2019, 07:21 PM

Totally agree. I guess there's a market for it though.

Bangkok Hibby
25-03-2019, 07:39 PM
Totally agree. I guess there's a market for it though.

Of course there is! as already stated above. Nightshift workers etc. Why do people feel they need to belittle/slag/run down others because they dont fit their sanitised version of living?

3pm
25-03-2019, 07:50 PM

Hope you’ve enough loyalty pints.

Iggy Pope
25-03-2019, 08:01 PM

Central Bar was always,a good starting point for an early when branch buses to Aberdeen inexplicably left at 9am. Smashed by Forfar though. Or Laurencekirk. Or Stonehaven. Never seemed to go in a straight line!

macca70
25-03-2019, 10:22 PM
Seems very specific that they want a 9am license for Hibs away games.

Assuming they have had interest for this, wouldn’t imagine there will be much take up unless they run a bus from there?

Hermit Crab
25-03-2019, 10:28 PM
I used to quite often have a dram when i got home after the nightshift. Quite enjoyed it while watching folk queue at the bus stop in the freezing cold. Only nightshift workers will understand haha.

Correct, I’m permanent nights and sometimes have a drink in he morning when I finish. The amount of comments I’ve had from people saying imagine drinking at this time of the morning... Well it’s no different to you finishing at 5pm and going for a pint is it?

Stuart93
25-03-2019, 10:30 PM
I wonder what or who they’ll deem “rabble” or “football casuals”? Anyone who looks quite young?

Hermit Crab
26-03-2019, 04:54 AM
I wonder what or who they’ll deem “rabble” or “football casuals”? Anyone who looks quite young?

Or dresses in expensive designer gear?

BILLYHIBS
26-03-2019, 06:05 AM
Hilarious having to leave for 1/2 an hour (7'ish?) because you couldn't have a 24 hour licence.
On topic, I drank in the Windsor for years, pretty sure this won't be an offer for the young un's.

Back then I was a Student a night owl always nice to know it was there no different from being abroad I suppose

andrew70
26-03-2019, 10:02 AM
Councillors voted in favour of allowing the pub to serve alcohol from 9am on the day of specified Hibs away games.

note the word specified - does this mean it will be open on derby day or only for certain away matches?

Since90+2
26-03-2019, 10:17 AM
I'd be surprised if the licence is granted for the derby in a couple of weeks. I would imagine the council will want a 'softer' opening.

vuefrom1875
26-03-2019, 12:43 PM
Seems very specific that they want a 9am license for Hibs away games.

Assuming they have had interest for this, wouldn’t imagine there will be much take up unless they run a bus from there?
No they don't.

Here’s Lucy!
26-03-2019, 03:54 PM

And let's be honest, it's invariably the very opposite.

BILLYHIBS
26-03-2019, 05:07 PM

And let's be honest, it's invariably the very opposite.

The clientele in the Windsor Buffet are the original casuals

These colours don’t run! :greengrin

Pilrig_Sauzee
27-03-2019, 01:36 PM
Will it be open for the Livi game on Friday?

Hermit Crab
27-03-2019, 01:40 PM
Will it be open for the Livi game on Friday?

At 9 in the morning? The games is 19:45 at night mind.

Pilrig_Sauzee
27-03-2019, 01:45 PM
At 9 in the morning? The games is 19:45 at night mind.

I know, am worried I won't have enough time.

BILLYHIBS
27-03-2019, 09:49 PM
Heads up chaps!

Popped in there this evening before a visit to Vittorias on the Walk

1 pint Three Hop 1 pint Heineken 1 can of Diet Coke (warm) = £11.70 :confused:

Plus side No Radges

Plus plus side Vittorias on the Walk still doing their 20% off for ST holders

LancashireHibby
27-03-2019, 10:28 PM
Heads up chaps!

Popped in there this evening before a visit to Vittorias on the Walk

1 pint Three Hop 1 pint Heineken 1 can of Diet Coke (warm) = £11.70 :confused:

Plus side No Radges

Plus plus side Vittorias on the Walk still doing their 20% off for ST holders
I do like a visit to the Windsor, but at those prices it’s now been struck off my pub crawl list for next Wednesday!

GreenLake
27-03-2019, 10:40 PM

Yesterday, I had a mimosa at 7.30am on a flight to New York to take the edge off my wife. :greengrin

HibeeHibernian4
27-03-2019, 11:04 PM
Windsor prices are pretty eyewatering compared to the rest of Leith Walk. Certainly not for me but each to their own.

Jack
27-03-2019, 11:05 PM
I'm a regular in the Windsor :-)

A pint* and a medium wine £8.95. If Mrs Jack has a large wine it's £10.05.

I think cider* is £4.20 and Best is £3.80.

JimBHibees
28-03-2019, 06:36 AM
I'm a regular in the Windsor :-)

A pint* and a medium wine £8.95. If Mrs Jack has a large wine it's £10.05.

I think cider* is £4.20 and Best is £3.80.

Is that not about par for Edinburgh. Always thought Windsor a good traditional pub.

calumhibee1
28-03-2019, 07:02 AM
Is that not about par for Edinburgh. Always thought Windsor a good traditional pub.

It’s maybe about par for centre of town, Stockbridge, Morningside etc. Leith Walk isn’t nearly as expensive as that though although I suppose it’s creeping further and further up the road.

JimBHibees
28-03-2019, 07:04 AM
It’s maybe about par for centre of town, Stockbridge, Morningside etc. Leith Walk isn’t nearly as expensive as that though although I suppose it’s creeping further and further up the road.

All I seen was 3.80 for a pint of best which I thought was reasonable. :greengrin

Leith Walk is having a bohemian gentrification makeover is it not. :greengrin

calumhibee1
28-03-2019, 07:37 AM
All I seen was 3.80 for a pint of best which I thought was reasonable. :greengrin

Leith Walk is having a bohemian gentrification makeover is it not. :greengrin

Think it’s about £2.50 a pint in the central :greengrin

JimBHibees
28-03-2019, 08:12 AM
Think it’s about £2.50 a pint in the central :greengrin

With good reason. :greengrin

SunshineOnLeith
28-03-2019, 04:45 PM

Other places are cheaper but not by much. Robbie's is about 3.60 and the harp and castle similar for tennents, more for a premium lager. Then there's the 'new leith' places like woodland creatures and Leith depot which are probably more expensive than the Windsor on average.

BILLYHIBS
28-03-2019, 05:05 PM
Other places are cheaper but not by much. Robbie's is about 3.60 and the harp and castle similar for tennents, more for a premium lager. Then there's the 'new leith' places like woodland creatures and Leith depot which are probably more expensive than the Windsor on average.

Agree I think they charge fortunes for what they perceive as being Premium Lagers Amstel Heineken Fosters and Three Hop over £5 a pint in some cases

The casuals and the rabble will no doubt give us their feedback on their prices when they pop in for their 9.00am away day pint tomorrow :greengrin

HibeeHibernian4
28-03-2019, 05:19 PM

We should get a thread that complies prices of Leith pubs. I know Robbie's is £3.50 for a Tennents, think Strathies is cheaper but can't remember how much. Jeremiah's Taproom was £4 iirc.

Hibernia&Alba
28-03-2019, 05:22 PM
Agree I think they charge fortunes for what they perceive as being Premium Lagers Amstel Heineken Fosters and Three Hop over £5 a pint in some cases

The casuals and the rabble will no doubt give us their feedback on their prices when they pop in for their 9.00am away day pint tomorrow :greengrin

Heineken and Foster's as 'premium' lagers? I rarely drink lager, but Tennents is far better, IMO.

Here’s Lucy!
28-03-2019, 05:29 PM
Heineken and Foster's as 'premium' lagers? I rarely drink lager, but Tennents is far better, IMO.

:aok: There is no way that Fosters is a 'premium' lager. No way.

speedy_gonzales
28-03-2019, 06:12 PM
:aok: There is no way that Fosters is a 'premium' lager. No way.

It's barely lager,,,, chilled roo pi$$.

HUTCHYHIBBY
29-03-2019, 06:50 PM
£3.60 for a Strongbow in Tamsons, wtf! 🍻

Joe6-2
29-03-2019, 06:55 PM

How long you been following the Hibees? You will eventually succumb!!

Jack
29-03-2019, 07:45 PM
BREAKING NEWS FROM THE WINDSOR.

The application for a license from 9am had nothing to do with Hibs specifically!

It was a general application that can be used at any time for any reason. The pub thought it would be good to have it just in case.

EEN making mischief again. When they saw the article the initial reaction was WTF!

GORDONSMITH7
29-03-2019, 09:02 PM
BREAKING NEWS FROM THE WINDSOR.

The application for a license from 9am had nothing to do with Hibs specifically!

It was a general application that can be used at any time for any reason. The pub thought it would be good to have it just in case.

EEN making mischief again. When they saw the article the initial reaction was WTF!

That stretches credability Jack. 'Councillors heard that many of the Hibs official supporters’ buses leave for away games from Elm Row.' Which is a lie put forward by the Pubs Management/Solicitor, I defy anyone to name an official supporters bus that leaves from Elm Row. Daft Cooncillors taken in by this nonsense. On the basis of being lying bassas I would revoke it.

BIG G

BILLYHIBS
29-03-2019, 10:40 PM
How long you been following the Hibees? You will eventually succumb!!

This!