PDA

View Full Version : Islam Feruz

Diclonius
24-03-2019, 02:25 PM
Just noticed he finally left Chelsea at the end of the January window.

What's next for him?

Michael
24-03-2019, 02:31 PM
I'd be surprised if he stays in football tbh. Failed everywhere he's been.

WoreTheGreen
24-03-2019, 02:36 PM

What's next for him?

Driving instructor

hfc rd
24-03-2019, 02:39 PM
Did he ever play a game for us when he was on loan here? Can’t remember at all if he did.

The 90+2
24-03-2019, 02:39 PM

What's next for him?

Piss Artist.

Diclonius
24-03-2019, 02:40 PM
Did he ever play a game for us when he was on loan here? Can’t remember at all if he did.

He came on, was very average, got into bother for some driving nonsense and went back to Chelsea.

Sir David Gray
24-03-2019, 02:40 PM

He made 6 appearances for us.

hfc rd
24-03-2019, 02:46 PM

Blimey, I’m struggling to even think of one of them!

Allant1981
24-03-2019, 02:47 PM
20 games in about 5 years, its mental to think he has probably made a lot of money from the game without doing anything at all

Haymaker
24-03-2019, 02:49 PM
Blimey, I’m struggling to even think of one of them!

To be honest I'd be surprised if he had more than 2 touches in any of those appearances.

BILLYHIBS
24-03-2019, 02:49 PM

All as a sub

The 90+2
24-03-2019, 02:55 PM
20 games in about 5 years, its mental to think he has probably made a lot of money from the game without doing anything at all

He’s made his money based on potential. I’m delighted for him and his family regardless of what he does now.

AZhibee
24-03-2019, 03:03 PM
To be honest I'd be surprised if he had more than 2 touches in any of those appearances.

I remember seeing him put in a bunch of effort late in a game and I thought maybe he is really desperate to make an impact and could pan out...but didn’t happen. Maybe he was hard to work with and clubs didn’t want to keep him around, he had to at least been average.

HAZ2000
24-03-2019, 03:08 PM
Good when he was 14

The 90+2
24-03-2019, 03:08 PM
Good when he was 14

Good is an understatement.

Ronniekirk
24-03-2019, 03:10 PM

The Austerity Years didn’t affect him either What an over paid waster But he is the one laughing all the way to the The Bank
There is so
Much money now in England teams can afford to waste it on potential and just wrote it off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 90+2
24-03-2019, 03:12 PM
The Austerity Years didn’t affect him either What an over paid waster But he is the one laughing all the way to the The Bank
There is so
Much money now in England teams can afford to waste it on potential and just wrote it off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If his family are laughing all the way to the bank after what they went through taking dirty Russian Ruble then all the best to them.

Blackfordhibby
24-03-2019, 03:58 PM
If his family are laughing all the way to the bank after what they went through taking dirty Russian Ruble then all the best to them.

I think that I may have missed some of this young lads story. Didn't realise that there was any trouble for his family (or him) during his football sojourn.

Was the Ruble problem at Chelsea or Krylya Sovetov, and how did it manifest itself ? Just interested to know a wee bit bit more about the lads life so far.

Jim44
24-03-2019, 04:10 PM
Waster. How he didn’t get sussed out early in his ‘career’:greengrin, is nobody’s business.

Baader
24-03-2019, 04:34 PM
A joke. Lasted a day at one club on trial.

CRAZYHIBBY
24-03-2019, 05:23 PM
The boy can play and might still come good but it all depends on who wants to give him a chance

Jim44
24-03-2019, 05:26 PM
The boy can play and might still come good but it all depends on who wants to give him a chance

Awaiting evidence of this. Why should anyone give him a chance?

HoboHarry
24-03-2019, 05:27 PM
He is 23 years old and according to Wiki has 20 first team appearances to his name with no goals. I can't see any reason to think he will add to that.......

Robbo6-2
24-03-2019, 05:27 PM
He could probably get a game for Scotland tho

we are hibs
24-03-2019, 05:29 PM
Came on when we beat qots at Easter road and malonga scored a great header in the 93rd minute and after we scored he walked back to the half way line with his head down while his team mates celebrated.

goosefat
24-03-2019, 06:42 PM

All we are saying...Is give Islam a chance.

:singing:

That's all we're saying folks....

LustForLeith
24-03-2019, 07:46 PM
I remember hearing a story whilst he was at Hibs from folk connected to Stirling Albion. They were playing a bounce game and he turned up in a sports car with his boots and a kit and asked if he could play. I believe he was tipped off about the match from someone at Stirling. No one could quite believe it.

Forza Fred
24-03-2019, 08:49 PM

Think he’s had plenty chances, and as we both predicted a couple of years ago, his time in the pro game, at senior level at any rate is now, or very soon will be up.

calumhibee1
24-03-2019, 09:19 PM
Will probably have earned a good few million pound while being worse than guys in the juniors (not a dig at the juniors btw :greengrin). Absolutely mental.

Hermit Crab
25-03-2019, 01:21 AM
Gash.

Forza Fred
25-03-2019, 04:07 AM
Gash.

He’ll end up on a big contract at Melbourne City then😉

Hermit Crab
25-03-2019, 04:25 AM

More fool melbourne city then.

Hibbyradge
25-03-2019, 09:18 AM

😁 Very good 👍

hibeemikey21
25-03-2019, 04:53 PM
Was there any possibility that he was a star at such a young age simply because he was significantly older than what was claimed? That would seem to tally up given how drastic his fall from the big time has been

neil7908
25-03-2019, 05:07 PM
What was he on per week at Chelsea?

Allant1981
25-03-2019, 05:13 PM
Was there any possibility that he was a star at such a young age simply because he was significantly older than what was claimed? That would seem to tally up given how drastic his fall from the big time has been

Or he just isn't very good, plenty of players looked really good when younger and ended up not making it, he was just lucky he got a long contract from chelsea

The 90+2
25-03-2019, 05:26 PM
Or he just isn't very good, plenty of players looked really good when younger and ended up not making it, he was just lucky he got a long contract from chelsea

He wasn’t lucky. He was an exceptional talent coming through. Best player in a generation by miles.

cleanyman
25-03-2019, 05:29 PM
He wasn’t lucky. He was an exceptional talent coming through. Best player in a generation by miles.

Based on what

The 90+2
25-03-2019, 05:41 PM
Based on what

On how he played at youth level before he went to Chelsea, how Celtic where desperate to keep him in the country and based on Chelsea then spent millions on him and his family.

cleanyman
25-03-2019, 05:43 PM
On how he played at youth level before he went to Chelsea, how Celtic where desperate to keep him in the country and based on Chelsea then spent millions on him and his family.

And that makes him the best player in a generation...by miles

Ok

truehibernian
25-03-2019, 05:44 PM
Based on what

I know a couple of guys who knew Islam when he was a youngster and he actually started to play football in a community 'street' football league in Glasgow (in Sighthill if I recall), bit like a 'midnight football league' to get kids off the streets at night. His issues started because he was very quickly identified as an incredible young footballer and Celtic quickly signed him on silly money for one so young. He still attended the street football league shortly after this happened and by all accounts an 'entourage' of adults came down to influence Islam and also prevent the guys running it from having him there. The two guys I knew were of the opinion that the adults around him were immediately taking advantage and only had money and cash as their sole interest and were a wholly bad influence on the young boy.

From what I have seen and heard it's those around him that will sadly see him never fulfil his potential. Very easily impressionable and if clubs like Celtic and Chelsea can't divert him away from off field distractions then the lad has no hope and only himself (now) to blame.

SChibs
25-03-2019, 05:47 PM
What was he on per week at Chelsea?

The figure I heard was 16k a week

cleanyman
25-03-2019, 05:47 PM
I know a couple of guys who knew Islam when he was a youngster and he actually started to play football in a community 'street' football league in Glasgow (in Sighthill if I recall), bit like a 'midnight football league' to get kids off the streets at night. His issues started because he was very quickly identified as an incredible young footballer and Celtic quickly signed him on silly money for one so young. He still attended the street football league shortly after this happened and by all accounts an 'entourage' of adults came down to influence Islam and also prevent the guys running it from having him there. The two guys I knew were of the opinion that the adults around him were immediately taking advantage and only had money and cash as their sole interest and were a wholly bad influence on the young boy.

From what I have seen and heard it's those around him that will sadly see him never fulfil his potential. Very easily impressionable and if clubs like Celtic and Chelsea can't divert him away from off field distractions then the lad has no hope and only himself (now) to blame.

My pal went to school with him

I was also the referee for one of his games for Celtic

I've seen far better

The 90+2
25-03-2019, 05:50 PM

I've seen far better

Like who?

The 90+2
25-03-2019, 05:51 PM
And that makes him the best player in a generation...by miles

Ok

Yes it does. Miles better than anyone in the Scotland squad now or in the pat 10 years at his age. Ask Andrew Robertson.

truehibernian
25-03-2019, 05:54 PM

I've seen far better

Like you, I've seen hundreds of lads who were extremely talented but never made it - sometimes because Scottish youth football is so full of nepotism and who you know it hurts.

I'm only passing on what I heard from guys who have good judgement. I also played with young footballers who carved out excellent careers but were not the best youth footballers compared to others I played alongside. Often it's a combination of luck, work ethic, commitment and desire.

Since452
25-03-2019, 05:57 PM
He's probably made more money than most of us ever will. Shows how crazy football is.

cleanyman
25-03-2019, 05:57 PM
Like who?

Gauld was a better player

As was a young Calum McGregor

The best talent in a generation chat is crazy....he got lucky with a move

cleanyman
25-03-2019, 05:58 PM
Yes it does. Miles better than anyone in the Scotland squad now or in the pat 10 years at his age. Ask Andrew Robertson.

You said in a generation

That's not 10 years

The 90+2
25-03-2019, 06:05 PM

Neither where anywhere near Feruz.

The 90+2
25-03-2019, 06:06 PM
You said in a generation

That's not 10 years

Okay best since Ian Durrant I was assured.

truehibernian
25-03-2019, 06:07 PM

I played with a guy called Brian Ryrie (from Bilston) decades ago who would have had Gauld on toast - he ended up in the juniors but as a kid was an absolute standout. Who then got 'talent spotted' - Sandy Robertson - one of the poorest players in the league but his old man had the contacts. Often in football it's not how good you are but who you know - which is scandalous and it absolutely affects a young boy's desire and enthusiasm when they see players around them who are not as good, elevated to 'stardom'. Youngsters don't have the resilience adults do and it's so easy now for young players to get distracted, disenchanted and move on to doing other things - often less positive in a lifestyle sense.

I also played alongside Lee Bullen. Great guy and someone who is the blueprint for making a great career from hard work, commitment and never being distracted. Never the best player but always one you wanted in your side due to his character and dependability. He also had great family around him to keep him focused but he made a career for himself through sheer hard work (himself).

Scottish football is scandalous for missing out on real talent at youth level. The performance schools are going down a horrible route of producing youngsters who already think they've 'made it' at age 13 ! And their trial system and selection policy is objective to say the least.

cleanyman
25-03-2019, 06:08 PM
Neither where anywhere near Feruz.

You're basing this on ONE move to Chelsea when he was 16

That doesn't make him a once in a generation talent

A once in a generation player doesn't go on and play a grand total of 23 games by the age of 23

You're living on another planet

cleanyman
25-03-2019, 06:09 PM
I played with a guy called Brian Ryrie (from Bilston) decades ago who would have had Gauld on toast - he ended up in the juniors but as a kid was an absolute standout. Who then got 'talent spotted' - Sandy Robertson - one of the poorest players in the league but his old man had the contacts. Often in football it's not how good you are but who you know - which is scandalous and it absolutely affects a young boy's desire and enthusiasm when they see players around them who are not as good, elevated to 'stardom'. Youngsters don't have the resilience adults do and it's so easy now for young players to get distracted, disenchanted and move on to doing other things - often less positive in a lifestyle sense.

I also played alongside Lee Bullen. Great guy and someone who is the blueprint for making a great career from hard work, commitment and never being distracted. Never the best player but always one you wanted in your side due to his character and dependability. He also had great family around him to keep him focused but he made a career for himself through sheer hard work (himself).

Scottish football is scandalous for missing out on real talent at youth level. The performance schools are going down a horrible route of producing youngsters who already think they've 'made it' at age 13 ! And their trial system and selection policy is objective to say the least.

But none were as good as Islam Feruz as I've heard he is once in a generation

The 90+2
25-03-2019, 06:10 PM
You're basing this on ONE move to Chelsea when he was 16

That doesn't make him a once in a generation talent

A once in a generation player doesn't go on and play a grand total of 23 games by the age of 23

You're living on another planet

No I’m basing it on how good he was at youth level before his move to Chelsea. Enough of your insults already, away back to ripping into Hibs.

The 90+2
25-03-2019, 06:11 PM

Your retort was McGregor. 😂😂😂 he wasn’t even in the same postcode as Feruz when at Celtic.

Lago
25-03-2019, 06:11 PM
:top marks

Besties Debut
25-03-2019, 06:12 PM
The boy can play and might still come good but it all depends on who wants to give him a chance Hibs gave him a chance and he was poor. The only time he got his name in the papers with us was when he was caught driving his Porche through Glasgow while banned. He is everything that is wrong with modern football

cleanyman
25-03-2019, 06:13 PM
No I’m basing it on how good he was at youth level before his move to Chelsea. Enough of your insults already, away back to ripping into Hibs.

What level?

As I said I can only judge on what I saw with my own eyes.

When did you see him play because I doubt you ever did

cleanyman
25-03-2019, 06:14 PM
Your retort was McGregor. ������ he wasn’t even in the same postcode as Feruz when at Celtic.

Who was a better player when he was younger. We have countless examples.

Michael Stewart ended up at Man Utd...they're a bigger club than Chelsea

Once in a generation though eh?

truehibernian
25-03-2019, 06:21 PM

I never said he was 'once in a generation'. That tagline is for the real talents of football - in Scottish terms, Dalglish was that. No one will come close to him and he could be labelled a 'one off'.

I think you and I would agree on a lot to be fair. Islam Feruz is a classic example of way too much, way too soon, and with people around him who didn't have his interests at heart. When you give a lad so much money at that age, in this era, you'll be hard pushed to find any Scottish lad to succeed.

Wonder if Kenny Dalglish would have been as successful for example if he had been paid silly money at Celtic as a youngster, with social media, scrutiny and criticism at the end of a 'send button' surrounding him at all times, and people around him who wanted to sponge and leech off him ?

Oh and the best youngster I've seen and played against was John Spencer - rattled 5 past us in a tournament at Ayr. What a player he was !

cleanyman
25-03-2019, 06:22 PM
I never said he was 'once in a generation'. That tagline is for the real talents of football - in Scottish terms, Dalglish was that. No one will come close to him and he could be labelled a 'one off'.

I think you and I would agree on a lot to be fair. Islam Feruz is a classic example of way too much, way too soon, and with people around him who didn't have his interests at heart. When you give a lad so much money at that age, in this era, you'll be hard pushed to find any Scottish lad to succeed.

Wonder if Kenny Dalglish would have been as successful for example if he had been paid silly money at Celtic as a youngster, with social media, scrutiny and criticism at the end of a 'send button' surrounding him at all times, and people around him who wanted to sponge and leech off him ?

Oh and the best youngster I've seen and played against was John Spencer - rattled 5 past us in a tournament at Ayr. What a player he was !

Aye that comment wasn't specifically for your post

But I do agree with what you're saying

The 90+2
25-03-2019, 06:25 PM
Who was a better player when he was younger. We have countless examples.

Michael Stewart ended up at Man Utd...they're a bigger club than Chelsea

Once in a generation though eh?

You clearly didn’t see him playing at the level he was at that age then, eh. Convo over cleanyboy.

Pretty Boy
25-03-2019, 06:26 PM
Dembele at Celtic now is ahead of where Feruz was at a similar age. I've seen him a few times and he is an exceptional talent. I saw Feruz in the youths at Celtic and it can't be denied he was a great wee player but when he was stepped up into the older age groups he got lost a bit. Dembele still stands out when playing a couple of years up.

cleanyman
25-03-2019, 06:27 PM
You clearly didn’t see him playing at the level he was at that age then, eh. Convo over cleanyboy.

Well Feruz of course

As I said I wouldn't descibe him as once in a generation. He was okay. If I'd been dominated the way you have I'd have left a long time ago.

Toodles

The 90+2
25-03-2019, 06:29 PM
Well Feruz of course

As I said I wouldn't descibe him as once in a generation. He was okay. If I'd been dominated the way you have I'd have left a long time ago.

Toodles

😂😂 amazing.

truehibernian
25-03-2019, 06:32 PM
Dembele at Celtic now is ahead of where Feruz was at a similar age. I've seen him a few times and he is an exceptional talent. I saw Feruz in the youths at Celtic and it can't be denied he was a great wee player but when he was stepped up into the older age groups he got lost a bit. Dembele still stands out when playing a couple of years up.

The very real danger with Dembele PB is he will have his head turned like Feruz. Already different associations are trying to sway him, agents no doubt will be in his head convincing him of a 'grass is greener' deal, and social and tabloid media have built him up into the next Messi.

Just let the lad play football and let him develop unabated and with no distractions - impossible in this climate and era of football though.

Pretty Boy
25-03-2019, 06:36 PM
The very real danger with Dembele PB is he will have his head turned like Feruz. Already different associations are trying to sway him, agents no doubt will be in his head convincing him of a 'grass is greener' deal, and social and tabloid media have built him up into the next Messi.

Just let the lad play football and let him develop unabated and with no distractions - impossible in this climate and era of football though.

Yep keeping his feet on the ground and just letting him enjoy his football will be the hard part.

Tommy Burns was good for Feruz in that regard and had he still been around I wonder if things might have worked out differently.

Salisbury Hibby
25-03-2019, 09:07 PM
And their trial system and selection policy is objective to say the least.

Being objective is good.

Did you mean "subjective"?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

truehibernian
25-03-2019, 09:34 PM
Being objective is good.

Did you mean "subjective"?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

I did indeed, I stand corrected. :aok:

If you saw the coaches selecting them your heart would sink.

MWHIBBIES
25-03-2019, 09:40 PM
Desperately overrated, I'd have been more surprised had he actually made it. These "generational talents" are quite often rubbish. Especially at Celtic, they are the worst I've ever seen for overrating players.

To say guys who have gone on to achieve far more were nowhere near him makes me laugh. That's right, they're much better.

eastmainsmsh
25-03-2019, 10:04 PM
Similar to Freddy adu

Baader
25-03-2019, 10:13 PM
Potential doesn't mean a thing unless you fulfill it. I remember hearing years ago that Jamie McCluskey had more ability than Riordan and O'Connor. Maybe he did aged 16 but it didn't amount to much for Hibs.

I've worked with Owen Hargreaves quite regularly and I remember being a bit taken aback when he told me talent is overrated. His argument being that every player signed up young to a big club has talent. The difference between success and failure comes down to attitude, desire and hard work. Expect he's probably right.

HoboHarry
25-03-2019, 10:42 PM
Potential doesn't mean a thing unless you fulfill it. I remember hearing years ago that Jamie McCluskey had more ability than Riordan and O'Connor. Maybe he did aged 16 but it didn't amount to much for Hibs.

I've worked with Owen Hargreaves quite regularly and I remember being a bit taken aback when he told me talent is overrated. His argument being that every player signed up young to a big club has talent. The difference between success and failure comes down to attitude, desire and hard work. Expect he's probably right.
If that is the case why doesn't wee Lewis play for Real Madrid?

JeMeSouviens
25-03-2019, 10:46 PM

Look at Riordan v Steven Fletcher for evidence of that. The one with the talent wasn’t the one that got the £££££ deals.

Allant1981
26-03-2019, 05:45 AM
Look at Riordan v Steven Fletcher for evidence of that. The one with the talent wasn’t the one that got the £££££ deals.

Bit unfair on riordan!!! To suggest fletcher didnt have talent is nuts

JimBHibees
26-03-2019, 06:01 AM
Desperately overrated, I'd have been more surprised had he actually made it. These "generational talents" are quite often rubbish. Especially at Celtic, they are the worst I've ever seen for overrating players.

To say guys who have gone on to achieve far more were nowhere near him makes me laugh. That's right, they're much better.

Agree was Steve Fulton not compared to Baggio at Celtic. :greengrin

JeMeSouviens
26-03-2019, 08:10 AM
Bit unfair on riordan!!! To suggest fletcher didnt have talent is nuts

I didn’t.

I think DR made an ok career from an exceptional level of talent. SF made a very, very good career from a very good level of talent.

Keith_M
26-03-2019, 08:56 AM
If Feruz actually has talent, then he still has plenty of time to prove it. He could move to a smaller club and just concentrate on playing.

He's still only 23.

Allant1981
26-03-2019, 12:11 PM
I didn’t.

I think DR made an ok career from an exceptional level of talent. SF made a very, very good career from a very good level of talent.

So by saying the one with talent(riordan) wasnt the one who got big money moves was you actually suggesting fletcher was talented, got you now!

JeMeSouviens
26-03-2019, 12:20 PM
So by saying the one with talent(riordan) wasnt the one who got big money moves was you actually suggesting fletcher was talented, got you now!

Baader's original post I was replying to (and agreeing with) said:

every player signed up young to a big club has talent. The difference between success and failure comes down to attitude, desire and hard work.

2 players can both be talented but one much more so than the other, no?

The 90+2
26-03-2019, 12:26 PM

No. It was suggesting the less talented player made the most money. Had the better career, It’s not that hard to work out.

Fletch lived down south before coming up to live in the Jewel digs, Riordan was a home boy, another massive difference.

Riordan had the most talent. Fletcher had a left foot as good as Deeks poor foot. He worked harder for his career. Why get constantly offended all the time?

cleanyman
26-03-2019, 12:53 PM
No. It was suggesting the less talented player made the most money. Had the better career, It’s not that hard to work out.

Fletch lived down south before coming up to live in the Jewel digs, Riordan was a home boy, another massive difference.

Riordan had the most talent. Fletcher had a left foot as good as Deeks poor foot. He worked harder for his career. Why get constantly offended all the time?

But none were as good as wee Feruz supposedly

Haymaker
26-03-2019, 01:10 PM

Work ethic and attitude will take you far :agree:

Allant1981
26-03-2019, 02:38 PM
But none were as good as wee Feruz supposedly

😁

Allant1981
26-03-2019, 02:39 PM

Not offended in the slightest but thanks for your concern