PDA

View Full Version : Norton Park school

Since452
24-03-2019, 02:04 PM
Being a Fifer i don't know much about the old school despite seeing it probably thousands of times. Do Hibs own the building? When did it close as a school? Did any ex players or dot netters attend the school? Lovely old building it has to be said.

BILLYHIBS
24-03-2019, 02:07 PM
Being a Fifer i don't know much about the old school despite seeing it probably thousands of times. Do Hibs own the building? When did it close as a school? Did any ex players or dot netters attend the school? Lovely old building it has to be said.
Alex Cropley

Since90+2
24-03-2019, 02:09 PM

Unfortunately Hibs don't own the building. Would be worth a small fortune if they did.

Its used as offices by a few companies though I'm not sure who the owners are.

AgentDaleCooper
24-03-2019, 02:21 PM
My grandad taught music there in the 60s, i think - possibly 50s, not sure

Since452
24-03-2019, 02:22 PM
Unfortunately Hibs don't own the building. Would be worth a small fortune if they did.

Its used as offices by a few companies though I'm not sure who the owners are.

Yeah was thinking the same thing. Although it's probably listed.

Since452
24-03-2019, 02:27 PM
Found an interesting video if anyone is nostalgic. Made by the teachers and pupils of the school. Hope link works. Some instantly recognisable locations from 1951.

https://movingimage.nls.uk/film/0799

Topographic Hibby
24-03-2019, 02:30 PM
I went to the school in the late 70s, when it was the junior school annexe of Leith Academy.

Used to hang about at the fence at the edge of the playground to try and catch the players going in for training - got a few autographs from them, but it was late 70s Tornadoes, rather than early 70s players. Also got Eddie Turnbulls autograph and surprisingly, didn’t get told to f*&@ off....!!

The building that was the techie block is now the ticket office.

madabouthibs
24-03-2019, 02:32 PM
I attended when it was Leith Academy for 1st and 2nd year pupils. Seen players coming and going all the time. The ticket office was our old woodwork and metalwork class.

Since452
24-03-2019, 02:33 PM
I went to the school in the late 70s, when it was the junior school annexe of Leith Acaedmy.

Used to hang about at the fence at the edge of the playground to try and catch the players going in for training - got a few autographs from them, but it was late 70s Tornadoes, rather than early 70s players. Also got Eddie Turnbulls autograph and surprisingly, didn’t get told to f*&@ off....!!

Must have made going to school slightly more appealing! I didn't know that about the ticket office 👍

Jack
24-03-2019, 02:39 PM
What it's doing now.

https://www.nortonpark.org/about/

Iggy Pope
24-03-2019, 02:52 PM
I went to the school in the late 70s, when it was the junior school annexe of Leith Acaedmy.

Getting Turnbulls autograph was bloody hard no matter what size you were. He would elbow me and my grubby programme or autograph book aside every time until I offered him my 100 Years of Hibs with the page open and he spent ages talking me through it.

BILLYHIBS
24-03-2019, 02:54 PM
Found an interesting video if anyone is nostalgic. Made by the teachers and pupils of the school. Hope link works. Some instantly recognisable locations from 1951.

https://movingimage.nls.uk/film/0799

Thanks for posting

Took me back to my childhood

Recognised the Bridge of Doom

Since452
24-03-2019, 02:59 PM
Thanks for posting

Took me back to my childhood

Recognised the Bridge of Doom

👍

McD
24-03-2019, 03:40 PM
My uncle was a pupil in the mid 60’s

Franck Stanton
24-03-2019, 04:45 PM
Was a pupil there from 1966 - 1969 loved woodwork as you could see pitch from upstairs window (ground floor was metalwork).

DaveF
24-03-2019, 05:19 PM
Getting Turnbulls autograph was bloody hard no matter what size you were. He would elbow me and my grubby programme or autograph book aside every time until I offered him my 100 Years of Hibs with the page open and he spent ages talking me through it.

I've posted this before but I'm convinced Eddie Turnbull spent his latter years just around the bottom or Orchard Brae as I used to see him sitting enjoying the sun now and again when out for a wander at lunchtime. Was always going to ask him for an autograph but was too afraid in case he told me to **** off.

WoreTheGreen
24-03-2019, 05:58 PM
I've posted this before but I'm convinced Eddie Turnbull spent his latter years just around the bottom or Orchard Brae as I used to see him sitting enjoying the sun now and again when out for a wander at lunchtime. Was always going to ask him for an autograph but was too afraid in case he told me to **** off.

He stayed in Comley bank

ekhibee
24-03-2019, 06:18 PM
Comely Bank Road begins at the roundabout at the foot of Orchard Brae so every chance a few people saw him around there. My sisters both went to school at Flora Stevensons just opposite, and my mother went to Norton Park in the late forties/early fifties.

therealgavmac
24-03-2019, 06:27 PM
My Uncle went to Norton Park and sure he said he was there with Peter Cormack/Peter Marinello?

DaveF
24-03-2019, 07:03 PM
Comely Bank Road begins at the roundabout at the foot of Orchard Brae so every chance a few people saw him around there. My sisters both went to school at Flora Stevensons just opposite, and my mother went to Norton Park in the late forties/early fifties.

Yep that's the area where I saw him.

Weegreenman
24-03-2019, 07:23 PM
Alex Cropley

My old man was school pals with Alex when they attended Norton Park? I myself also attended school in this building many years later, although the building had by that time become an annex for Leith Academy. Three floors of tiled walls if my memory serves me well. We’d watch the Hibs players pass by our play area on a daily basis! Doesn’t get better than that :aok:

zitelli62
24-03-2019, 07:24 PM
My father went there in the 50s also the one with big ears in still game also went there in the 50s.

Itsnoteasy
25-03-2019, 12:06 PM
Was a pupil there from 1966 - 1969 loved woodwork as you could see pitch from upstairs window (ground floor was metalwork).

Lucky barstewards. My English class looked onto ***********. No wonder I failed my English exam.

Killiehibbie
25-03-2019, 12:14 PM
Never managed to get any players over the fence for a game of pitch and toss. Just think if Goram had been there at the time, we would've been loaded.

kaimendhibs
25-03-2019, 12:39 PM
My grandad Andrew Edgar was the live in Jannie for many many years. He was a true Hibby and took me to my first games.
I spent many happy summers in that gymhall

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

KWJ
25-03-2019, 12:45 PM
I work here just now with a cracking view from my desk to the main entrance of the stadium. Sadly though we're moving offices this week.

It's all charities that are based here but there is still a fair bit of a school building vibe about the place.

Alan62
25-03-2019, 12:53 PM
When I met Eddie Turnbull when he was on my table at hospitality one time, he seemed genuinely shocked when I told him he'd told me to ***** off when I was a child and asked him for his autograph.

"***** off and get the players, son!" he said when I approached him down at the old Civil Service training ground. Good to hear it wasn't just me.

Keith_M
25-03-2019, 01:16 PM
My father went there in the 50s also the one with big ears in still game also went there in the 50s.

Do you mean Shug?

I always presumed he was a Glaswegian. You learn something new every day.

southsider
25-03-2019, 07:37 PM
When I met Eddie Turnbull when he was on my table at hospitality one time, he seemed genuinely shocked when I told him he'd told me to ***** off when I was a child and asked him for his autograph.

"***** off and get the players, son!" he said when I approached him down at the old Civil Service training ground. Good to hear it wasn't just me.
Went to see training at the Sunblest bakery land at Lochend in the early 70’s. McBride blasted one (no nets) & I ran to get the ball. Turnball screamed at me ‘ you’d better bring that ba back ya wee *******.

madabouthibs
25-03-2019, 08:47 PM
If he was there he would've probably been in my mum's year. Same age. 😁

Santa Cruz
25-03-2019, 09:22 PM
My Uncle went to Norton Park and sure he said he was there with Peter Cormack/Peter Marinello?

Sure I watched an interview with Souness recently and he said he grew up beside Marinello, they walked with each other in the morning's going to school and Souness went to his school and he said Marinello went to the local RC primary.

ekhibee
25-03-2019, 09:37 PM
I'm sure Souness went to Forresters, so possibly Marinello went to St Augustines which was pretty well next to it?

CropleyWasGod
25-03-2019, 11:01 PM
I'm sure Souness went to Forresters, so possibly Marinello went to St Augustines which was pretty well next to it?

Souness was at Carrickvale, no?

CropleyWasGod
25-03-2019, 11:02 PM
Sure I watched an interview with Souness recently and he said he grew up beside Marinello, they walked with each other in the morning's going to school and Souness went to his school and he said Marinello went to the local RC primary.

Broomhouse and St.John Vianney?

JimBHibees
26-03-2019, 07:59 AM
Broomhouse and St.John Vianney?

St Josephs I think is in Broomhouse. St John Vianney up Gilmerton way.

Mick O'Rourke
26-03-2019, 08:26 AM

Peter had signed for Hibernian a couple of years before St Augustine's was built.
Peter went to St Josephs Primary and St Anthony's Secondary.
I used to see Peter regularly many years ago, as both our sons played in the same juvenile team.

My two younger brothers went to St Augustine's.
One in the year it opened 1969.

CropleyWasGod
26-03-2019, 09:06 AM
St Josephs I think is in Broomhouse. St John Vianney up Gilmerton way.

Yep...St Joseph's is what I meant 😊

70hibby
26-03-2019, 09:07 AM
I attended when it was Leith Academy for 1st and 2nd year pupils. Seen players coming and going all the time. The ticket office was our old woodwork and metalwork class.

Snap... i was telling my son about this a couple of weeks ago, can you remember if woodwork was ground floor and metal work upstairs?

Killiehibbie
26-03-2019, 09:45 AM
Snap... i was telling my son about this a couple of weeks ago, can you remember if woodwork was ground floor and metal work upstairs?

Metalwork was downstairs.

Since452
26-03-2019, 09:48 AM
Thanks for sharing your memories folks 👍

Bill Milne
26-03-2019, 10:31 AM
Souness was at Carrickvale, no?

He was indeed!!

Mick O'Rourke
26-03-2019, 11:01 AM
Thanks for sharing your memories folks ��

Some more memories of the school

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_edin/1_edinburgh_history_-_recollections_norton_park_school.htm

zitelli62
26-03-2019, 11:27 AM
I've said earlier about my father who went there but sadly he passed away in 2011 (another great man who didn't see us win the cup)christ I've got a tear in my eye writing this anyway after reading all the posts I've now got an insight to my father's childhood which I thought I would never get keep up the great work I love reading every post.