PDA

View Full Version : Ticket prices at football - a growing problem.

Hibernia&Alba
22-03-2019, 05:15 PM
A poster on here (forget who) rightly said that paying 30/32 quid a ticket to watch a game of football in Scotland is totally wrong. It simply isn't fair to fans.

Well how about this for next level robbery: Barcelona charging Man United fans 102 quid per ticket for the Champions League tie. United have said they will reciprocate and will subsidise the ticket price at Camp Nou. WTF is the game coming to? Some will say it's simply supply and demand, but the average fan just doesn't matter at all. Something should be done, even it means the governing bodies introducing compulsory pricing structures. Three figures to watch a game of football, and that's before travel etc. What a sad reflection on the sport; football is out of the reach of many supporters.

Diclonius
22-03-2019, 05:19 PM
We need price caps for tickets and transfer/salary caps for players.

hibee
22-03-2019, 05:20 PM
If I was offered the Man Utd tickets for £102 I’d buy three but yes agree it’s getting ridiculous especially teams like that who have so much money already and don’t rely on ticket sales to survive,

HibeeHibernian4
22-03-2019, 05:21 PM
Shocking prices for the Champions League, but it's hardly even worth being described as football now. It's got more in common with a Hollywood red carpet premiere than a football game.

Anyway, back to Scottish football. It's clear to me that people like Ann Budge are bad for the Scottish game. Sanitisation and gentrification of crowds is occurring. Prices of £30+ for tickets are trying to attract a new type of fan, one who brings their spouse and their children, sits in their seat quietly, buys the merchandise from the club shop and never complains about the manager or swears at the opposition. These are not the sort of people who will stick by the clubs when things (inevitably) go south.

Hibernia&Alba
22-03-2019, 05:25 PM
100 quid for a Champions League final? Yeah okay, if in the best seats, for a one off game you'll remember all your life.

100 quid for a quarter final, sat in the Gods at Camp Nou? Not a chance.

houstonhibbee
22-03-2019, 05:26 PM
Shocking prices for the Champions League, but it's hardly even worth being described as football now. It's got more in common with a Hollywood red carpet premiere than a football game.

Anyway, back to Scottish football. It's clear to me that people like Ann Budge are bad for the Scottish game. Sanitisation and gentrification of crowds is occurring. Prices of £30+ for tickets are trying to attract a new type of fan, one who brings their spouse and their children, sits in their seat quietly, buys the merchandise from the club shop and never complains about the manager or swears at the opposition. These are not the sort of people who will stick by the clubs when things (inevitably) go south.
It should be for everyone not just people who swear

green day
22-03-2019, 05:31 PM
It should be for everyone not just people who swear

I would be up for cheaper tickets in the sweary section

Hibernia&Alba
22-03-2019, 05:34 PM
I would be up for cheaper tickets in the sweary section

Hisbollah's idea of a radge section. Cheap as chips, enter at your own risk :greengrin

nonshinyfinish
22-03-2019, 05:35 PM

I don't entirely disagree with you, but without the type of fan who brings their children, who will support Hibs in 50 or 100 years time?

Diclonius
22-03-2019, 05:35 PM

Eh?

I'm probably from the demographic you describe and you can tell fine well from my posts I'm by no means a quiet supporter. Clubs increase ticket prices because they know fans will pay it, whether they have the money or not. It's pure capitalism (which I still entirely disagree with) as opposed to deliberate gentrification.

Hermit Crab
22-03-2019, 05:37 PM
City away at Spurs in Champs league.

the Club has received an allocation of 3,003 tickets for the fixture.
Tickets are priced as follows:
Adults - £60
Over 65 - £30
18-21 - £45
Under 18 - £30

Hermit Crab
22-03-2019, 05:39 PM
Spurs being charged a maximum of £50 for the leg at the Etihad.

Hibernia&Alba
22-03-2019, 05:40 PM
City away at Spurs in Champs league.

the Club has received an allocation of 3,003 tickets for the fixture.
Tickets are priced as follows:
Adults - £60
Over 65 - £30
18-21 - £45
Under 18 - £30

Will this be at the new stadium?

Hermit Crab
22-03-2019, 05:45 PM
Will this be at the new stadium?

First game apparently.

Hibernia&Alba
22-03-2019, 05:46 PM
First game apparently.

I thought Palace was the first game? Still a lot of money, but, when we are paying 30 quid for an SPL game, you could argue it's proportionate. 102 quid though....

Hibby Bairn
22-03-2019, 05:49 PM
All being driven by ever growing player wages. Most clubs will allocate additional income into playing budgets. Average players demanding more money which in turn is driven by the competitive wages available for average players at lower leagues in England.

So clubs can charge less but the quality of player will then be lower as there will be less in the pot to spend. Players will then go and sign for Salford or Carlisle instead of Hibs or Motherwell.

Financial losers are fans. Financial winners are players. Clubs just facilitate it. Ironically because fans want “better players” playing “better football”.

Hibernia&Alba
22-03-2019, 05:53 PM
All being driven by ever growing player wages. Most clubs will allocate additional income into playing budgets. Average players demanding more money which in turn is driven by the competitive wages available for average players at lower leagues in England.

So clubs can charge less but the quality of player will then be lower as there will be less in the pot to spend. Players will then go and sign for Salford or Carlisle instead of Hibs or Motherwell.

Financial losers are fans. Financial winners are players. Clubs just facilitate it. Ironically because fans want “better players” playing “better football”.

A good point, but it doesn't apply to clubs like Barcelona and the other global giants whose ticket sales are a minority of their income. Barca don't need to charge 102 quid to a couple of thousand away fans, in order to fund wages.

Famous Fiver
22-03-2019, 05:57 PM
I would quite happily have paid £100 on 21.05.2016.

Hibernia&Alba
22-03-2019, 05:59 PM

Me too, but not for the quarter-final! And many folk simply can't pay those prices.

Keith_M
22-03-2019, 06:09 PM

Some parts of football need cleaned up. AFAIK, Budge has tried to clamp down on the worst behaviour of some of their fans, so can't complain about that.

Stevie Watson
22-03-2019, 06:34 PM
100 quid for a Champions League final? Yeah okay, if in the best seats, for a one off game you'll remember all your life.

100 quid for a quarter final, sat in the Gods at Camp Nou? Not a chance.

The Champions League final had four price points €70, €180, €450 and €600. These are the ‘normal’ prices, hospitality was well into four figures. Mental

JTD
22-03-2019, 09:07 PM
Maybe we need more leagues/competitions to agree a price cap on away ticket prices like the English Premier League. Sure they recently introduced maximum price of £30 for away fans

HibeeHibernian4
22-03-2019, 09:10 PM
Eh?

I'm probably from the demographic you describe and you can tell fine well from my posts I'm by no means a quiet supporter. Clubs increase ticket prices because they know fans will pay it, whether they have the money or not. It's pure capitalism (which I still entirely disagree with) as opposed to deliberate gentrification.

You've quoted one part of my quote, I didn't mean spouses and children shouldn't be welcomed, just that they are preferred by boards like Hearts' over groups of men or women, particularly those between the ages of about 16 and 25.

HibeeHibernian4
22-03-2019, 09:12 PM
Some parts of football need cleaned up. AFAIK, Budge has tried to clamp down on the worst behaviour of some of their fans, so can't complain about that.

If she has tried, then she has failed miserably. Under her stewardship, Hearts' "loyalist" faction has multiplied by factors of ten. They have fans being filmed singing anti-semitic songs about Aaron Hughes hating "the ****ing Jews" and songs like the Gorgie Boys and I was Born Under a Union Jack have made an unwelcome return.

monktonharp
22-03-2019, 10:22 PM
I thought Palace was the first game? Still a lot of money, but, when we are paying 30 quid for an SPL game, you could argue it's proportionate. 102 quid though....on that point, I was at a Brentford game possibly 5 years ago. spoke to a "local" at half time fag/and beer break and he said he was more of a Chelsea fan but cant afford over 1k for a season ticket. he decided on 285 quid for him and son ST. was a wee while ago now, and also the 2bees" are having new stands built. they may have increased prices a fair bit but then there was a great distance in English premier to 1st div. over a hundred quid puts lots of working families out of the equation, by any standard. it seems absurd.

matty_f
22-03-2019, 10:30 PM

I think all she's done is ask them to behave in a decent manner. It's hardly an unreasonable request to be honest.

stuart-farquhar
23-03-2019, 10:34 AM

I do and do and will and have.

KWJ
23-03-2019, 10:48 AM
I think all she's done is ask them to behave in a decent manner. It's hardly an unreasonable request to be honest.

Exactly. And as the poster below has said to suggest that fans who don't do as she has asked (which I believe is don't be openly racist , enter the field of play, throw objects on the pitch and at opposing fans or fight) are glory hunters is idiotic. Away and take your face for a *****.

surreyhibbie
23-03-2019, 10:49 AM

I did. £200 for hospitality and transport all in.

Worth every penny

The Baldmans Comb
23-03-2019, 10:56 AM
A poster on here (forget who) rightly said that paying 30/32 quid a ticket to watch a game of football in Scotland is totally wrong. It simply isn't fair to fans.

Well how about this for next level robbery: Barcelona charging Man United fans 102 quid per ticket for the Champions League tie. United have said they will reciprocate and will subsidise the ticket price at Camp Nou. WTF is the game coming to? Some will say it's simply supply and demand, but the average fan just doesn't matter at all. Something should be done, even it means the governing bodies introducing compulsory pricing structures. Three figures to watch a game of football, and that's before travel etc. What a sad reflection on the sport; football is out of the reach of many supporters.

All these games you mention will easily sell out which indicates that rather than be "out of reach" they have been underpriced.

I share with you the shock at these prices but there is a huge number of football fans with obviously a considerale amount of disposable income and will pay whatever it takes to attend.

Eyrie
23-03-2019, 11:30 AM
Football is no different to anything else.

We can bemoan the rising ticket prices making it harder for the traditional working man to afford to attend games, particularly with his family, but it's no different to him being unable to afford a better car or holiday when someone else can afford to pay for that car or holiday.

Most of the costs for a football club are fixed (eg maintenance, admin) so the one that is most dependent on income is the playing budget. Higher prices may mean some of us can't afford to go as often as we would like but as long as the ticket sales hold up then the club will make more money to spend on a better playing squad for us to watch.

HibsGW
23-03-2019, 12:02 PM

I’d be interested to know why you think people like Ann Budge are bad for the Scottish game. She’s came in and essentially saved Hearts whilst taking a strong stance against sectarian abuse amongst their supporters, one of the biggest issues in Scottish football. What has she done wrong or not done so well?

Sean1875
23-03-2019, 12:08 PM
Celtic are charging £49 for a ticket for the Sevco game next week, horrendous. I thought £32 for the PBS was bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibbysam
23-03-2019, 12:21 PM
Celtic are charging £49 for a ticket for the Sevco game next week, horrendous. I thought £32 for the PBS was bad.

Both those clubs charge the same. However, one perspective to put on it, both clubs probably have around 80-90% of season ticket holders, so id imagine they can charge that price knowing it affects a minority of their own support.

These derbies aside (simple case of supply and demand and knowing it’ll sell out regardless) think majority of Scottish fans need to remember that we receive a very small fraction of the tv money and prize money that England, Spain, Germany etc get.

Nothing frustrates me more than seeing part time Scottish fans saying ‘Scottish football is a joke, can get a ticket for Newcastle Chelsea for a tenner but costs over £20 to watch hibs’. Hibs have the same outlays as anyone else, we want us competing at the top, we need to pay the same police, stewards, lighting etc.

The club is hardly making a huge profit, meaning the money we are bringing in we are spending again. As an entertainment business I don’t find £20-£30 19 times a season that much for nearly 2 hours entertainment.

The top top clubs that, even if they sold tickets for £0 to every game, would still churn out huge profits then that is slightly different, but if fans buy them then it’s hardly surprising that the clubs carry on doing it.

Hibernia&Alba
23-03-2019, 12:26 PM

Absolutely scandalous for any Scottish league match, even if it is the Old Firm.

HibeeHibernian4
23-03-2019, 12:53 PM
I’d be interested to know why you think people like Ann Budge are bad for the Scottish game. She’s came in and essentially saved Hearts whilst taking a strong stance against sectarian abuse amongst their supporters, one of the biggest issues in Scottish football. What has she done wrong or not done so well?

She hasn't taken a strong stance.

The lower part of Section N and G should've been closed down and the offending supporters in that section banned.

It hasn't happened, because she has failed to deal with them.

She's done the worst of all worlds, which is to come out and condemn them for things like standing while watching the game. This gives them, much like their alt right heroes, a chance to look like they're being victimised without actually being punished.

If her stance against sectarianism is a strong one, could you care to explain how, in 2014, Hearts had a tiny sectarian issue, and now they are the second most sectarian fanbase in Scotland after Rangers, who regularly sing the Gorgie Boys? Doesn't make sense to me, personally.

Keith_M
23-03-2019, 12:55 PM

It's supply and demand, I suppose.

I'd imagine they could get a six figure crowd for matches between those two, if they had a stadium large enough.

Keith_M
23-03-2019, 01:01 PM
She hasn't taken a strong stance.

The lower part of Section N and G should've been closed down and the offending supporters in that section banned.

It hasn't happened, because she has failed to deal with them.

She's done the worst of all worlds, which is to come out and condemn them for things like standing while watching the game. This gives them, much like their alt right heroes, a chance to look like they're being victimised without actually being punished.

If her stance against sectarianism is a strong one, could you care to explain how, in 2014, Hearts had a tiny sectarian issue, and now they are the second most sectarian fanbase in Scotland after Rangers, who regularly sing the Gorgie Boys? Doesn't make sense to me, personally.

I think the truth is somewhere in between. She has come out and criticised behaviour, I think also restricting access to a couple of sections, but there's probably a lot more that could be done, both at Hearts and certain other clubs.

I don't think the rise in sectarianism can be attributed to Budge. It may have happened under her watch but she's the only owner of Hearts I've ever heard criticising Fans' behaviour.

If she's trying to gentrify football, as you suggest, she seems to have a long way to go.

Killiehibbie
23-03-2019, 05:26 PM
It's supply and demand, I suppose.

I'd imagine they could get a six figure crowd for matches between those two, if they had a stadium large enough.

Doing the huns a favour by restricting the torment to 800 of them, I read it's something like 5 wins there in 20 years and none by the tribute act.

SChibs
23-03-2019, 05:31 PM
Percentage wise ticket money makes up far more of a team like hibs income compared to large teams in the German, Spanish or English leagues.

Bayer Munich said once they could put their ticket prices up but it would only generate an extra 2m a year and what is 2m to them. They would rather the football was affordable for the fans. On the other hand 2m for hibs is massive

Weegreenman
23-03-2019, 06:09 PM
People pay.......and there is the problem!

NAE NOOKIE
24-03-2019, 02:20 AM
There are two sides of football in the UK though.

You have a league in Scotland where the proportion of a club's annual income which comes from the supporters is extremely high, the fans are the clubs major source of income. In that scenario its understandable that clubs struggle a bit to make substantial cuts to the price of matchday tickets …. I know folk will come up with examples like Hamilton for example who I understand charge little or nothing for kids and youths, but the amount of income that would lose them compared to the likes of Hibs or Aberdeen is minimal.

In England, especially in the EPL, you have exactly the opposite scenario where TV and sponsorship money dwarves income through the turnstiles for most clubs. In that scenario you would sort of hope that the clubs would make tickets affordable for fans who are on a limited income, instead of that they seem determined to squeeze the fans until their financial pips squeak.

But as has been said, the wage demands of players and agents seem to be the main problem. You have players earning over a quarter of a million quid a week in some cases … what would the average EPL player be on … 40K, 50K, 60K, 70K a week? …. its mental. Just how long will it be until a wage cap is introduced? For all their riches the EPL's overall debt is gigantic and that might seem manageable on the face of it, but look at the trouble clubs are getting into trying to join the party … Aston Villa and Birmingham City spring to mind.

Its a house of cards ah tells ye :greengrin

Waxy
24-03-2019, 06:35 PM
It’d be interesting to see a list of entry prices for Easter road since since around the seventies.Remember it was 30p for an under 16 in the early eighties.
Prices have gone through the roof.
Football used to be for the common person. The greedy decided to change that.

HibeeHibernian4
24-03-2019, 07:32 PM
It’d be interesting to see a list of entry prices for Easter road since since around the seventies.Remember it was 30p for an under 16 in the early eighties.
Prices have gone through the roof.
Football used to be for the common person. The greedy decided to change that.

And what right did they have to do that, is my biggest gripe.

They didn't invent football. They didn't make it successful or popular. They really have no right to charge us anything to watch it, let alone hundreds of pounds in some cases.

hibbysam
24-03-2019, 07:54 PM
And what right did they have to do that, is my biggest gripe.

They didn't invent football. They didn't make it successful or popular. They really have no right to charge us anything to watch it, let alone hundreds of pounds in some cases.

So you’d like Hibernian, as a club, to charge £0 to enter, or let’s say £5/£10 and end up watching absolute dross every week in front of 6/7k or go out the box if we continue paying players what we do now to challenge while bringing in next to no gate money?

Carnage.

Just Jimmy
24-03-2019, 08:56 PM
If I was offered the Man Utd tickets for £102 I’d buy three but yes agree it’s getting ridiculous especially teams like that who have so much money already and don’t rely on ticket sales to survive,you can have my 2 season tickets for old Trafford for the home leg at £102 per ticket....

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] (only kidding in case you're daft enough)

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Waxy
24-03-2019, 09:23 PM
So you’d like Hibernian, as a club, to charge £0 to enter, or let’s say £5/£10 and end up watching absolute dross every week in front of 6/7k or go out the box if we continue paying players what we do now to challenge while bringing in next to no gate money?

Carnage.
Off course we’ve had no choice but to raise prices like everyone else. We’d be left behind very quickly if we didn’t.
But where is football heading?
If prices keep rising like this then only the well off will be able to afford a day out at the football.
Only 150 year ago our club was formed by Edinburghs poorest community living in Edinburghs worst slums in the Cowgate.
We were supported by the same people who lived there.
We need to keep a balance so football isn’t out of reach for low income families.Greedy cunning business people have stolen our game.

King Cosell
24-03-2019, 10:19 PM
1999/00

East Stand season ticket - £240
Hearts away ticket - £18
St Johnstone away ticket - £15

In today's money - £412.48, £30.94 & £25.78

Hibernia&Alba
24-03-2019, 10:22 PM
1999/00

East Stand season ticket - £240
Hearts away ticket - £18
St Johnstone away ticket - £15

In today's money - £412.48, £30.94 & £25.78

Are you sure inflation has been so high in the past twenty years? Seems a huge increase.

King Cosell
24-03-2019, 10:27 PM
Are you sure inflation has been so high in the past twenty years? Seems a huge increase.

Yeah, I googled 'UK inflation calculator'

Hibernia&Alba
24-03-2019, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I googled 'UK inflation calculator'

Wow, I'm surprised that £240 just twenty years ago is now over £400. Just shows you.

Antifa Hibs
25-03-2019, 09:10 AM
Prices are becoming a joke but there are 2 issues...

-People pay it so clubs so no reason for clubs to freeze or reduce costs
-Our league is a joke and some clubs would probably go out the box if they couldn't gurantee maximum income from Old Firm fans a few times a season

Biggest problem with Scottish football is being in the UK and its proximity to England meaning a smaller share of TV revenue and inflated wages.

bobbyhibs1983
25-03-2019, 10:06 AM

Carnage.

so by your theory instead of *watching absolute dross* in your example above we d be able to afford top quality players because we should (as fans)
paying say £2,000 for a st?
or be happy paying a walk up of say £50/60?

sadly its a choice a lot of people make,sadly for me, i cannot afford a st, i do wonder how many people are in the same boat?
as other posters have said its supply and demand, as a poster above mentoined above about a special game played in 2016,i think these sorta *one off games* i think alot of people would go for that sorta type of thing if the prices were out the box,though i think those sorta games are just that *one off games*
I am not sure what the answer is,sadly i think alot of people in time ,unless things change will be forced to make a choice of buying st's/ walk up tickets to go support hibs or they get to a point of cant afford it wont go