PDA

View Full Version : The most fans Hibs have taken to a final?

Since452
20-03-2019, 09:09 AM
The thread about how many fans we had at the 2016 SCF got me thinking about other finals we've been in. What do we reckon is the biggest support Hibs have taken to a final? Sure we had around 40k against Livingston in the LCF back in the naughties. Anything to top that?

The goalie
20-03-2019, 09:13 AM
The thread about how many fans we had at the 2016 SCF got me thinking about other finals we've been in. What do we reckon is the biggest support Hibs have taken to a final? Sure we had around 40k against Livingston in the LCF back in the naughties. Anything to top that?

I could not get into the Hibs end at the skol cup final and ended up in the pars end with a few other Hibs fans. Hampden was still standing then and it was pay at the gate!
The offical attendance was 40k now add ten k for folk not getting counted :) take away max 10 k of pars fans so 30k plus Hibs fans that day.

G15 Hibs
20-03-2019, 09:15 AM
I could not get into the Hibs end at the skol cup final and ended up in the pars end with a few other Hibs fans. Hampden was still standing then and it was pay at the gate!

1972 final had an attendance of over 106,000. Can't say how many we had there, but it wouldn't have been all Celtic fans.

Smartie
20-03-2019, 09:17 AM
1972 final had an attendance of over 106,000. Can't say how many we had there, but it wouldn't have been all Celtic fans.

I was going to say that it would surely be one of those crazy 100,000+ ones from decades ago?

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2019, 09:19 AM
This!

Big support even bigger let down!

44 years and counting....

Onion
20-03-2019, 09:21 AM

Sadly, remember it well. Hibs had est 35k. Celtic 70k. Only time you heard them was at the end of the match but they made one hell of a racket.

2004 League Cup Final v Livi, did we not have something close to 40k Hibs fans that day ?

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2019, 09:34 AM
Sadly, remember it well. Hibs had est 35k. Celtic 70k. Only time you heard them was at the end of the match but they made one hell of a racket.

2004 League Cup Final v Livi, did we not have something close to 40k Hibs fans that day ?

Shout!

Big HIBS support that day

Hibees here Hibees there Hibees every ****ing where!

Another big let down

Its ***** being a hibby :greengrin

brog
20-03-2019, 10:40 AM
I suspect we probably had about 50k of the 95k who attended the 1958 final versus Clyde. We must also have had a huge support at the cup semi in 1948, 143k+ crowd. The biggest ever crowd in UK outwith a cup final.

Carheenlea
20-03-2019, 11:14 AM
Would a lot of those part of the 100k + crowds in the past be neutrals? Football was probably less tribal back then, and with no segregation or no live TV, if you wanted to see the Cup final you just pitched up and paid at the gate. I’d guess that the 40k at Hampden for Livingstone will be our largest.

JimBHibees
20-03-2019, 11:20 AM
Would a lot of those part of the 100k + crowds in the past be neutrals? Football was probably less tribal back then, and with no segregation or no live TV, if you wanted to see the Cup final you just pitched up and paid at the gate. I’d guess that the 40k at Hampden for Livingstone will be our largest.

Agree just after the war probably every man and their dog would be going to games. Whereas nowadays only really fans of the teams playing would go. I think Livingston also. The 72 cup final was massively Celtic fans from what I remember.

Bishop Hibee
20-03-2019, 11:28 AM
We had 37000 at the League Cup Final against Livi.

Since452
20-03-2019, 11:31 AM

Yeah probably and it wasn't expensive for the average working man back then either. I'd imagine with it being Scottish football's showpiece game there would have been a lot of neutrals.

JeMeSouviens
20-03-2019, 11:32 AM
Huge crowds involving Hibs:

1947 League cup semi 123,830, this is the League cup tournament record
1948 Scottish cup semi 143,750, this is the biggest ever domestic crowd outside a cup final

Both against the Old Huns. History does not record how many Hibbies.

Since452
20-03-2019, 11:34 AM
We had 37000 at the League Cup Final against Livi.

In our end. I remember a fair few Hibbys in the Livingston end. I actually bought one for their end as was struggling to get one for ours. Thankfully someone on my supporters bus gave me a vip ticket which had seats directly behind where we could have lifted the cup. Made it even more of a sickner.

Since452
20-03-2019, 11:35 AM

1948 Scottish cup semi 143,750, this is the biggest ever domestic crowd outside a cup final

Incredible crowds

.Sean.
20-03-2019, 11:40 AM
I suspect we probably had about 50k of the 95k who attended the 1958 final versus Clyde. We must also have had a huge support at the cup semi in 1948, 143k+ crowd. The biggest ever crowd in UK outwith a cup final.
How would such a large amount of folk be able to commute at one time with the infrastructure in the 50s, less cars etc? Loads and loads of trains? Thousands of buses? Genuine question

Ringothedog
20-03-2019, 12:03 PM

The estimate was over 40k Hibs fans that day

Green Cabbage 7
20-03-2019, 12:24 PM
I see we were involved in a semi v rangers 1948, 143750, bound to be some hibees there!

Bostonhibby
20-03-2019, 12:26 PM
Would a lot of those part of the 100k + crowds in the past be neutrals? Football was probably less tribal back then, and with no segregation or no live TV, if you wanted to see the Cup final you just pitched up and paid at the gate. I’d guess that the 40k at Hampden for Livingstone will be our largest.Perfectly possible. I was in the 106k crowd in 1972 but wouldn't have been there if my jambo uncle hadn't taken me through.

Changed days.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

we are hibs
20-03-2019, 12:52 PM
How many were at the 2016 league cup final? 32k hibs fans? Pretty sure there was around 30k against Killie too. That livi final hurt more than the ross county one. Everyone naively thought it was a formality after beating Celtic and rangers.

That night against rangers was one of my favourite hibs games ever.

Keith_M
20-03-2019, 01:30 PM
It's impossible to say what the breakdown was pre-segregation.

The highest known number was the 38,000 we took to the final against Livi. The total attendance was 45,500.

Smartie
20-03-2019, 02:07 PM
How many were at the 2016 league cup final? 32k hibs fans? Pretty sure there was around 30k against Killie too. That livi final hurt more than the ross county one. Everyone naively thought it was a formality after beating Celtic and rangers.

That night against rangers was one of my favourite hibs games ever.

The semi at Hampden?

Mine too, absolutely wonderful evening.

Until May 2016 that was my favourite night supporting Hibs.

The photo of the young lads celebrating the winning penalty summed the moment up beautifully.

jacomo
20-03-2019, 02:16 PM
How would such a large amount of folk be able to commute at one time with the infrastructure in the 50s, less cars etc? Loads and loads of trains? Thousands of buses? Genuine question

As said above - a lot of them will have been local West of Scotland fans.

I wonder also if local football associations all brought buses etc to bump up the crowds?

Pretty Boy
20-03-2019, 02:19 PM
It's impossible to say what the breakdown was pre-segregation.

The highest known number was the 38,000 we took to the final against Livi. The total attendance was 45,500.

Even that 38K contained more than a handful of non Hibs fans.

I was on a bus with 8 guys from Wolverhampton who fancied taking in a game and managed to get tickets and half my year at school (was it really that long ago?) attended. Most of them had never been near ER in their life.

My recollection is the atmosphere was totally flat and I think the number of 'neutrals' played a part.

Alfiembra
20-03-2019, 02:27 PM

Was probably about the time there were plans to expand Easter Road to 100k capacity, numbers we can only dream of now.

Forza Fred
20-03-2019, 03:16 PM
Perfectly possible. I was in the 106k crowd in 1972 but wouldn't have been there if my jambo uncle hadn't taken me through.

Changed days.

I was there too., courtesy of the Carlton Branch bus

We had a cameraman on our bus to Hampden as they were filming some kind of documentary.

We didn’t wait for him as arranged for the return journey...we were so pissed off at losing 6-1.

Hope he got back to Edinburgh, by now😂

BILLYHIBS
20-03-2019, 03:38 PM

We had a cameraman on our bus to Hampden as they were filming some kind of documentary.

We didn’t wait for him as arranged for the return journey...we were so pissed off at losing 6-1.

Hope he got back to Edinburgh, by now😂

I was on that bus

Went through on my own as a 13 year old as no one would take me

Left the game at 1-4 when the fighting broke out at The Rangers end behind the goals

Managed to find my own way back to the bus

Happy days

Small world eh Fred?

Bostonhibby
20-03-2019, 03:58 PM

Hope he got back to Edinburgh, by now[emoji23][emoji3]

Only memory I've got except the game itself was sitting in the corner of a pub that was split about 90/10 in favour of celtc fans and my uncle with his maroon jacket on and smoking a pipe!

SON OF PADDY
20-03-2019, 04:12 PM
Remember going to the 1972 Final on a mixed fan's bus,run by Gilmerton Miners Club.
Bus through, stop off for lunch at a another Miners Club and a lift over the turnstile !
All for nothing,except all the laddies had to sing a song down the front of the coach.🎤🎵🎶
The men also had a whip round for the laddie's 💰💰😉
Apart from the result and the pishing rain 🌧🌧 it was a great day out.

ancient hibee
20-03-2019, 04:46 PM
Yes,we went to the Clyde final by football special train direct to Mount Florida.Think the official attendance was 108,000.

jgl07
20-03-2019, 04:56 PM
In our end. I remember a fair few Hibbys in the Livingston end. I actually bought one for their end as was struggling to get one for ours. Thankfully someone on my supporters bus gave me a vip ticket which had seats directly behind where we could have lifted the cup. Made it even more of a sickner.
Strangely the Livingston final was the one I experienced the most problems on getting hold of tickets. For various reasons I did not have a season ticket that year and was working in Glasgow on the first day of ticket sales to non-ST holders. I eventually got a ticket in the third issue (presumably from corporate seats that were not taken up. I ended up queuing overnight at Easter Road and did get premium seats in the South Upper.

Every other other final including Rangers in the League Cup at Parkhead, Celtic in the Scottish Cup (twice), Killie in the League Cup, Hearts and Sevco in the Scottish Cup I got tickets without any problems.

houstonhibbee
20-03-2019, 06:17 PM
Remember going to the 1972 Final on a mixed fan's bus,run by Gilmerton Miners Club.
Bus through, stop off for lunch at a another Miners Club and a lift over the turnstile !
All for nothing,except all the laddies had to sing a song down the front of the coach.🎤🎵🎶
The men also had a whip round for the laddie's 💰💰😉
Apart from the result and the pishing rain 🌧🌧 it was a great day out.
That was the LCF
SCF was dry sunny and very warm

houstonhibbee
20-03-2019, 06:21 PM

It was estimated 60k Celtic fans and 30k hibs fans would attend. 106k turned up
Off topic but If I recall hibs took 10k fans to elland road in 74/75 fairs cup

MKHIBEE
20-03-2019, 06:26 PM
That was the LCF
It certainly pst down when I was in the city centre after the game

Earlydelivery
20-03-2019, 06:39 PM
It was estimated 60k Celtic fans and 30k hibs fans would attend. 106k turned up
Off topic but If I recall hibs took 10k fans to elland road in 74/75 fairs cup
I was down at Elland Road ... couldn’t get in behind goals so went in the huge terracing... yes enormous support down Leeds that night .

erin go bragh
20-03-2019, 06:41 PM
The offical attendance was 40k now add ten k for folk not getting counted :) take away max 10 k of pars fans so 30k plus Hibs fans that day.

Thousands got locked out of that game . Myself included. 😡😡😡

SON OF PADDY
20-03-2019, 07:39 PM
That was the LCF

It was definitely raining in 1972 !

SON OF PADDY
20-03-2019, 09:36 PM
It certainly pst down when I was in the city centre after the game

Thanks for confirming that it was raining that day!
I was starting to think I must have pished myself, as I distinctly remember being soaked.🌧🤔🌧

houstonhibbee
20-03-2019, 10:37 PM
Thanks for confirming that it was raining that day!
I was starting to think I must have pished myself, as I distinctly remember being soaked.🌧🤔🌧

As a 14 year old I'd never seen so many grown men cryinh

SON OF PADDY
20-03-2019, 10:54 PM
As a 14 year old I'd never seen so many grown men cryinh

I was 13 myself 😏
The pain and suffering most Hibee's felt whilst waiting for the Holy grail,had been etched in my memory till that wonderful day in 2016.😁🏆

RIP
21-03-2019, 06:22 AM

Works buses, employees hired buses. I went on a mixed Uniroyal bus to a Hibs Celtic Cup Final with my dad in the Seventies

Viva_Palmeiras
21-03-2019, 06:46 AM
Could have sworn the Skol cup final had a bigger crowd.

Anyway found this snippet ... mcGinlay celebrating a Hibs victory?

“In 1991 McGinlay was banned from driving for a year and fined £250 for failing to provide a sample when stopped on his way home from the Scottish Cup Final.[7]”

Since452
21-03-2019, 09:31 AM
Could have sworn the Skol cup final had a bigger crowd.

Anyway found this snippet ... mcGinlay celebrating a Hibs victory?

“In 1991 McGinlay was banned from driving for a year and fined £250 for failing to provide a sample when stopped on his way home from the Scottish Cup
Final.[7]”

Motherwell v Dundee United?