PDA

View Full Version : Fans' group concerned as supporters 'criminalised' for going on to pitches

Monts
19-03-2019, 04:45 PM
Fans celebrating goals are being turned into criminals because of a "narrative that all football fans are ****, thugs", a supporters' group says. (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47621938)

Since90+2
19-03-2019, 04:54 PM
Fans celebrating goals are being turned into criminals because of a "narrative that all football fans are ****, thugs", a supporters' group says. (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47621938)

Considering a good proportion of Hibs fans claim other Hibs supporters broke the law by simply going onto the pitch at the cup final I'm not surprised this pathetic narrative is repeated.

If our own supporters are so quick to criminalise our own support I don't hold out much hope for supporters of other teams.

Alan62
19-03-2019, 05:05 PM
People have to stop going onto the pitch. It really is as simple as that. You wouldn't leap on stage at the best bits during the theatre or the opera. You wouldn't or even try to scramble aboard during a gig these days (although I've seen a few pogoing teenagers lobbed off the stage over the years).

While I fully understand the exuberance that exploded on that day in May 2016, it also compromised the fun for those of us who didn't go on the pitch - and directly led to a whole lot of nonsense that we could well have done without.

If people insist on encroaching the playing area, then something will be done. Fences aren't the solution because of the safety risk so it's either folks learn to behave or the courts will get heavy handed.

CockneyRebel
19-03-2019, 05:11 PM

I think if you commit a criminal act then you are, in effect, criminalising yourself. I realise that many pitch invasions have no ill intent and truly come from sheer exuberance but there are some that have either an ulterior motive (like getting a match posponed or replayed) and others that appear to be just violent and destructive so I feel they need to be stopped (and this is from someone who went onto the pitch in 2016).

Scouse Hibee
19-03-2019, 06:26 PM
Stay off the pitch, it’s simple. Fed up of hearing how things have to be adapted to suit those who break rules. If you do the crime be prepared to do the time.

SChibs
19-03-2019, 06:30 PM
A hibs fan has been given a banning order after going on the pitch to celebrate against St Johnstone. Ive not heard of any prosecutions regarding the 3 or 4 pitch invasions rangers fans have done recently.

If police are going to enforce this law then it needs to be on every one or no-one imo.

Carheenlea
19-03-2019, 06:37 PM
A hibs fan has been given a banning order after going on the pitch to celebrate against St Johnstone. Ive not heard of any prosecutions regarding the 3 or 4 pitch invasions rangers fans have done recently.

If police are going to enforce this law then it needs to be on every one or no-one imo.

The guy up at Perth ran past the goalmouth to join the Hibs players celebrating in front of the fans, so obviously covered a fair area to get where he was going, so it was more than just jumping over the wall onto the track like a couple of more did, but they were back over the wall as quickly as they came on.

Liam89
19-03-2019, 06:44 PM
The guy up at Perth ran past the goalmouth to join the Hibs players celebrating in front of the fans, so obviously covered a fair area to get where he was going, so it was more than just jumping over the wall onto the track like a couple of more did, but they were back over the wall as quickly as they came on.

He was next to me in the front row. Ran through the open gate around the goalpost and to the players. Was taken away with no hassle and is due for sentencing soon with an expected ban from every ground in Scotland. Knows he's been daft but is unlucky it came at a time with so much in the media about pitch incursions. However, there's a difference between running on looking for a fight and running on in 'exuberance', one should be punished harshly and the other with some leniency depending on number of offences etc.

For a man with no prior convictions to be in the media and likely banned from every ground in Scotland for going on the pitch once to celebrate a winner is needlessly harsh.

Keith_M
19-03-2019, 06:54 PM

For a man with no prior convictions to be in the media and likely banned from every ground in Scotland for going on the pitch once to celebrate a winner is needlessly harsh.

Agreed.

If they're going to punish the guy, it should be appropriate for what he's actually done, not just to make an example of him.

hibee316
19-03-2019, 06:55 PM
Considering a good proportion of Hibs fans claim other Hibs supporters broke the law by simply going onto the pitch at the cup final

Ahaha, that's brilliant!

Keep it up :)

wookie70
19-03-2019, 06:58 PM
Whether it is criminal or not just stop doing it, let the players celebrate with each other and we can celebrate with family and friends. If the players choose to come to the crowd give them a pat on the back or a cuddle but stay off the pitch.

basehibby
19-03-2019, 07:00 PM
Common sense is required!

Exuberant fans caught up in a moment of celebration should be "slapped on the wrist" and warned against repeat offences.

Jakeballs throwing Buckie bottles and attempting assaults on players etc. should have the book thrown at them and be banned for life.

HibeeHibernian4
19-03-2019, 07:09 PM
It's disgraceful that one of our own has been banned for running on the pitch to do nothing more than celebrate a goal with Hibs players. At the very same ground, a good 30-40 huns did the exact same thing. Is it merely a case of safety in numbers? What sort of message is that sending out? Pathetic.

SChibs
19-03-2019, 07:53 PM
It's disgraceful that one of our own has been banned for running on the pitch to do nothing more than celebrate a goal with Hibs players. At the very same ground, a good 30-40 huns did the exact same thing. Is it merely a case of safety in numbers? What sort of message is that sending out? Pathetic.

Is it to do with the numbers or to do with the teams involved?

Billy Whizz
19-03-2019, 07:56 PM

Fans should never be on the pitch during a game

matty_f
19-03-2019, 08:04 PM

Would have thought that was fairly obvious, to be fair.

Everyone knows you're not supposed to be on the pitch so it's irrelevant whether it's good natured or not, there's no need whatsoever to go on the pitch and if you take the chance and do it then you risk being punished.

HibeeHibernian4
19-03-2019, 08:08 PM

I completely agree, and it wasn't my point.

My point was, it seems to me that if enough of you are on, you're safe.

So what the police's message actually comes across as is "the more of you go on, the more chance you have of getting away with it."

Inconsequential
19-03-2019, 08:49 PM
As far as I'm aware it is not a criminal offence to enter a pitch in Scotland although it is south of the border. Just in case you were wondering I have no plans to invade a pitch at any time in the forseeable future. :wink:

cmcd
19-03-2019, 09:24 PM

I am not interested in what other clubs supporters do. Why moan about other clubs when our own do the same

hibbyfraelibby
19-03-2019, 09:33 PM
Just gonnae no dae that...simples

beensaidbefore
19-03-2019, 09:52 PM

Exuberant fans caught up in a moment of celebration should be "slapped on the wrist" and warned against repeat offences.

Jakeballs throwing Buckie bottles and attempting assaults on players etc. should have the book thrown at them and be banned for life.

Absolutely correct.

marleyhib
19-03-2019, 09:57 PM

This for me, authorities very quick to demonise football fans. What I’ve seen recently has happened for years and I’ve seen way way worse in the 80s

Speedway
19-03-2019, 09:58 PM
Just don’t do it.

Too hard to grasp?

jacomo
19-03-2019, 10:19 PM
Would have thought that was fairly obvious, to be fair.

Everyone knows you're not supposed to be on the pitch so it's irrelevant whether it's good natured or not, there's no need whatsoever to go on the pitch and if you take the chance and do it then you risk being punished.

Aye but what is the appropriate sanction? That’s the question.

Banned from attending future matches? Yes.

Criminal record? Nah.

Stewards are generally poor and shouldn’t have any say in making the rules.

matty_f
19-03-2019, 10:32 PM
Aye but what is the appropriate sanction? That’s the question.

Banned from attending future matches? Yes.

Criminal record? Nah.

Stewards are generally poor and shouldn’t have any say in making the rules.

Has to be severe enough to act as a deterrent. I think jail is to harsh unless there's violence involved, so maybe a hefty fine or community service?

heretoday
19-03-2019, 10:38 PM
Only dogs and cats should be allowed on the pitch.
That often enlivened a dreich Wednesday night at Easter Road.

Forza Fred
19-03-2019, 10:40 PM
I have never entered the pitch at any game Ihave attended as a spectator.

Never felt the need to....just as I have never felt the need to climb the floodlights.

The pitch is for players, the stands for supporters

Not a complicated concept.

Just don’t enter the pitch and nobody will be criminalised.

Pretty simple really.

SChibs
19-03-2019, 10:45 PM
I am not interested in what other clubs supporters do. Why moan about other clubs when our own do the same

Im not moaning about Rangers fans doing it I'm moaning that the authorities have chosen to ignore the countless Rangers fans that have invaded the pitch but chose to punish a random Hibs fan. I didn't care that I hadn't heard of any Rangers fans being punished until I learned the Hibs fan had.

jacomo
19-03-2019, 10:56 PM
Has to be severe enough to act as a deterrent. I think jail is to harsh unless there's violence involved, so maybe a hefty fine or community service?

How about being made to wear a maroon jersey of shame for a day?

That would stamp it out pretty quickly.

Sammy7nil
19-03-2019, 11:24 PM
Considering a good proportion of Hibs fans claim other Hibs supporters broke the law by simply going onto the pitch at the cup final I'm not surprised this pathetic narrative is repeated.

If our own supporters are so quick to criminalise our own support I don't hold out much hope for supporters of other teams.

Not criminals, just people who have no thought for others and prevented a lot of other people from further enjoying what should have been a great event for them and the players.

Inconsequential
20-03-2019, 07:12 PM
Not criminals, just people who have no thought for others and prevented a lot of other people from further enjoying what should have been a great event for them and the players. Not criminals, because it is not a criminal offence in Scotland.

Keith_M
20-03-2019, 08:10 PM
As far as I'm aware, not one person in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cPNeIcdmpk) was ever prosecuted or banned from football for entering the pitch (including me, thankfully).

Context and behaviour are both very important.

Baader
21-03-2019, 02:24 PM
Never understood the obsession with some for getting on the pitch. It's for the players and they don't want it either. If you want to be on a pitch go and play.